The 2013 NCAA Championships - Men's Coverage *Live Results *Heat Sheets *LRC Post-Race Interviews *LRC Day 3 Photos
*LRC Day 2 Photos
*LRC Day 1 Photos *LRC Women's
Preview *LRC Men's Preview *Men's Start Lists *Women's Start Lists *Streaming/TV
Info *Schedule *LRC $20,013 Prediction Contest
LRC Men's 1500: Oregon’s Mac Fleet Kicks To Victory To Delight of Hometown Crowd Fleet was third at Pac 12s but first at NCAAs as he provided the in-stadium highlight of the 2013 NCAA champs as the crowd went nuts. 4:21 HSer Zach Perkins of Air Force was the runner-up as a
true soph. We recap that plus post-race shoving shenanigans.
*Oregonian: Duck men 4th, but Mac Fleet's 1,500 victory reverberates Fleet is full of praise for coach Andy Powell. "(He) believed in me, I think, more than anyone, that I'd be able to bounce back. Without Andy, I don't think I'm here (with a title)."
*Recommended Watch: Texas' Patrick McGregor Was "Having The Race Of His Life Until 100 To Go" When He Fell To The Track
*MB: MAC FLEET FTW
*MB: Riley Masters Blames McGregor
*MB: NCAA Men's 1500m Live Updates
LRC Men’s 5,000: Lawi Lalang Defeats Two Fresh Sub-13:20 Guys To Complete The 10k/5k Double Paul Chelimo and Diego Estrada were a very respectable 2nd and 3rd.
*MB: Lawi Doubles 13:35 FTW
*MB: LAWI vs. ESTRADA vs. JENKINS
*MB: Who exactly are the best in their events to never win an NCAA title?
Team Competition: Wild 4 x 400 Finish results in Texas A&M and Florida Sharing NCAA Team Championship With 53 Points Texas A&M"s powerhouse 4 x 400 team dropped the stick and only scored a single point as Florida won the event to miraculously tie A&M. Amazingly, in the year 2013, there is no tiebreaker. Arkansas was 3rd (46.5) and Oregon 4th (44).
*Texas A&M’s men feel the Aggie-ny of NCAA track and field title tie
*Mike Holloway pleased with tie: "There’s the old saying (about ties), it’s like kissing your sister. I love my sisters."
*MB: Why the hell is there not a tie breaker for the team Champion at NCAA Champs?!?!?!?!
*MB: WTF: Did Dwight Stones Just Screw Up the NCAA Team Title on ESPNU?
Day 3 Coverage
LRC Men's 800:
Greer Wins NCAA Title Number Two, Denies Cas Loxsom Of Coveted Title Number One The two seniors both wanted this one badly and were way better than everyone else in the field.
*MB: Elijah MF Greeeerrrr FTW! 2x NATIONAL CHAMPION - 2013 NCAA's
*MB: 800m final - why were the Penn State uniforms not matching?
*R-G: "Elijah Greer closed out his Oregon career by accomplishing what everyone expected when he arrived."
LRC Steeple: Anthony Rotich Wins As Henry Lelei Goes Down On The Final Water Barrier The Kenyans up front ran super-fast as Rotich came into NCAAs with an 8:37 PR but left with an 8:21 IAAF "A" standard. Former US junior champ Curtis Carr of BYU got top American honors.
*MB: Henry Lelei false started
LRC Day 3 Photos
- AP Day 3 Recap
- Register-Guard : Resilient Aggies In position For Men's Title Run Arkansas' Coach Chris Bucknam: "Right now, who can predict, but it looks like A&M's in the driver's seat, and Florida is between Oregon and Arkansas (who are) in the third and fourth spot."
- Olympic Bronze Medalist Derek Drouin Wins Battle With Silver Medalist Erik Kynard To Take HJ Title In 7-8 Our interview with Drouin is here. Drouin had the crowd do the "slow clap" on his final jump, an attempt at the NCAA record of 7-10, which he missed. He said he had ever asked the crowd to cheer him on, but "it was my last jump as a collegian, so what the heck."
- USC's Bryshon Nellum Wins 400 In 44.73 Our interview with him is here.
- TCU's Charles Silmon Wins 100 In 9.89 To FSU's Dentarius Lock (9.91) And Mississippi Isiah Young (9.96) Short video with Silmon here.
- UCLA's Aussie Julian Wruck Wins Discus Throw; Texas' Ryan Crouser Back In 8th
*Video Interview With Crouser
- Video Interview With Vin Lananna On NCAAs And State Of The Sport
Day 2 Coverage
LRC 2013 NCAA Men's 10,000: Lawi Lalang Halfway Home To The Double The Arizona junior made it look easy
took home the 10,000 crown on day 2 of NCAAs. Full of confidence afterwards, he told us he's not worried about anyone in the 5,000 even though there are two other sub-13:20 guys.
LRC 2013 NCAA 1,500-Meter Semifinal Recaps: Undefeated Pat Casey Squeaks Into Final In the women's action Oklahoma State's and Natalja Piliusina emerged as the favorite.
*MB: Pat Casey - Say It Ain't So....
- AP Day 2 Recap
*USTFCCCA Day 2 Notes
- USC's Bryshon Nellum Posts Fastest 200 In Semis With Wind-Aided 19.99 Our interview with Nellum is here. Nellum gives some encouragement to Oregon's Mike Berry, who didn't make the 400 final, pointing out that last year he [Nellum] didn't even make the NCAA final and then made the Olympic team and won a silver medal on the 4 x 400.
- LSU's Damar Forbes Jumps Longest Jump In The US This Year With 27-4 3/4 To Win Title
- UO's Mike Berry Bounces Back From 400 Disappointment To Anchor His 4 X 400 Team To Advance To Saturday's Final Article also talks about an interesting thing we've seen in the field events, where a green laser is used to mark the leading jump/throw for the fans watching (they turn if off when the athletes are competing). Pretty cool.
- Interview With UO Coach Robert Johnson After Day 2
- Decathlon: Texas' Johannes Hock Wins Title, Oregon's Dakota Keys Only 11th
- Men's 110 Hurdles Semifinal: UO's Cabral, Spencer Adams Of Clemson, Wayne Davis II Of Texas A&M Set Up Showdown
NCAA Champs: Day 1
*LRC 800 Semifinals - No Huge Surprises But ... The heats went largely according to form, although the Florida and Arkansas men took a hit and Elijah Greer made it much more interesting than it needed to be. Interviews
with NCAA 800 favorites Cas Loxsom, Elijah Greer, Notoya Goule, and Laura Roesler.
*LRC Men’s Steeplechase Semifinals: Anthony Rotich And Henry Lelei Win Their Heats Easily The big casualty was FSU freshmen Zak Seddon. The #2 seed didn't make the final after biting it on a water jump.
- AP Day 1 Recap Saina was happy getting the win, saying, "I needed my happiness back. I needed my smile."
- Register-Guard: "Unlike Oregon's Men, UO Women Hold Form In First Day Qualifying And Lay The Foundation For Title Run"
*Ken Goe: The Oregon Wwomen Are All Business On A Successful First Day
- Day 1 Doesn't Go Well For Oregon Men As 400 Star Mike Berry (Runner-Up Last Year And This Year Indoors) Fails To Make Final
They had to go down to the thousandth of a second to break the tie for the final time qualifier and Berry was .004 too slow. They also took a hit with PAC-12 champ Dakotah Keys is in only 15th place halfway through the decathlon.
*Oregon Coach Robert Johnson Talks About Berry Not Making The Final: "One hundred percent (heartbreak). It's the ebbs and flows of a championship meet." With Berry's projected points in the 400 off the table (he was predicted 2nd), Oregon may be hard-pressed for a top-four finish and trophy. On Berry running the 4 x 400 prelims today, Johnson said, "He looked me right in the eye and said he'd be ready (for the relay)."
*Video Interview With Johnson
- Texas' Ryan Crouser Wins NCAA Shot Put With A Clutch Throw As 5 Out Of His 6 Throws Were Fouls His 3rd throw was his only legal one, but if that had been a foul he would have been out of the competition. The only other men's final was the pole vault where Ole Miss sophomore Sam Kendricks won with 18-8 1/4.
*Video Interview With Crouser
- TCU's Lorraine Ugen Soars To An Unexpected NCAA LJ Crown With 22 Feet, 2 1/2 Inches, Tying The 14th Longest In NCAA History Arizona State senior Chelsea Cassulo won the hammer throw with 226-9.
- Georgia Freshman Freya Jones Knocks Off The Favorites To Win NCAA Javelin
- Track Season Ends For Oregon Football Player De'Anthony Thomas And His Teammates As The Oregon 4 X 100 Fails To Make The Final Another interesting fact you might not know - Arizona senior 400 hurdler Georganne Moline was 5th at the 2012 Olympics. She easily advanced here with the second fastest time of the day.
- Men's 400 Hurdles Semifinal ... Reggie Wyatt Of USC Is The Man To Beat
- USTFCCCA NCAA Notes: Women's Hammer, Men's PV, Men's SP, Women's Javelin, Women's LJ Finals All Went Down On Day 1
- RRW NCAA Championships Event-By-Event Preview
- Brits Lorraine Ugen (6.77m) And Freya Jones (54.95) Win LJ And Jav At NCAAs
2013 NCAA Chatter On The Boards
*MB Official 2013 NCAA Outdoor Track Championships Day 1 Discussion
*MB Silmon windy 9.92, Locke 9.97 in 2013 NCAA prelims LRC interview with Lock here. The women's 100 was good too with Octavious Freeman running 10.99 to English Gardner's 11.00. Interviews here and here.
*MB LAWI vs. ESTRADA vs. JENKINS
*MB NCAA 1500m Men's Preview
- USTFCCCA Men's NCAA Event-By-Event Preview
- Profile Of NCAA 100m favorite Isiah Young Of Ole Miss, Who Has Run 9.99 Despite Finishing Dead Last At State Meet In HS Ole Miss track coach Brian O'Neal: "I value him like an art collector would a Picasso."
- Good Read: Ken Goe Profile On Oregon's Senior 1,500 Runner Anne Kesselring, Who Won The NCAA 800 As A Sophomore 2 Years Ago
- Profile Of NCAA #2 800 Seed Laura Roesler, Who Won 20 Individual State Titles In HS
- English Gardner Will Run Four Events In An Attempt To Get Oregon The 1st Women's Triple Crown
- Oregon Woman Have Had A Sign In The Locker Room All Year That Says, "Triple Crown. Every practice counts."
- Not At NCAAs: Kyle Merber Joins New Jersey-New York Track Club And Will Be Coached By Coach Frank Gagliano
- MB: Colorado at NCAA meet - what's up?
- Coming In As The Indoor National Champion And An Undefeated Outdoor Season, OU's Elijah Greer Is Full Of Confidence Ahead Of NCAA 800 Greer: "In terms of being competitive and assertive, I absolutely want to see myself as the most dangerous athlete in the field."
- Chris Bucknam Hoping To Win Arkansas' Second National Title Under His Reign This Week In Eugene They enter the meet ranked second behind Texas A&M.
- Ken Goe Profile On University Of Portland Senior Jared Bassett, Who Comes Into NCAAs Ranked 3rd At 8:36 After Only Having An 8:50 PR Before
Also This Weekend In Oregon: Andrew Wheating And Matt Centrowitz Racing Portland Track Classic 800 On Saturday If you missed the previous announcements, Mary Cain will be going for the US Champs "A" Standard (15:46) in the 5k. The high school record is 15:48 while the American Jr. record is 15:43.
Oscar P Was In Court Tuesday
- Oscar Pistorius' Case Has "Gripped The Entire SA Nation" As They Gossip On Everything From His Guilt To His Beard Detailed article reviews some facts of the incident (if you've forgotten since February or were living under a rock) and shares some new quotes from family and information on the case such as some of the prosecution's key witnesses.
*Oscar Pistorius: Guilty / Not Guilty? FB Page
*"#Pistorians": Females Defending Pistorius On Twitter They also tweet pictures of him commenting on his looks.
- Oscar P Court Case Today Will Only Be 10 Minutes; Will Be Postponed Until August
- Quick FAQ On Pistorius Murder Case Leading Into Today's Court Appearance
- IOC Pres. Jauqes Rogge Defends Procedure For Picking New Olympic Sport And Says Wrestling Won't Be At A Disadvantage Because They're Not "New" "You don't go for a new one for the sake of a new one. Novelty is not the issue; quality is the issue."
- Britain's Brian Cookson Running Against Pat McQuaid As UCI President
Kenya's Bernard Koech Runs Fastest-Ever Half Marathon (58:41) In US History At Rock 'N' Roll San Diego Half Meb Keflizighi was in the race as was Deena
Kastor. Koech's first 10 miles were faster than anyone ever in America as his 44:47 is a new all-comers record - ahead of Haile G's 44:53.
*Reuters On Koech - Koech's 58:41 Won't Count For Record Purposes Due To Elevation Drop But his 10 mile record WILL count.
*Alberto Stretti's Play-By-Play Twitter Coverage Of Half Via Storify *AP Recap
*MB: Bernard Koech 58:41 Half in San Diego
39-Year-Old Claude Moshiywa Becomes 1st South African To Win "Up" Comrades Since 1992 The Nurgalieva twins went 1-2 as usual as Elena won her 8th title.
*Local Coverage Of 2013 Comrades
Yuki Kawauchi Runs And Wins Another Marathon - This One On Gravel In 2:18
Recap Of Australia's Most Difficult Race - Balmoral Burn - 420m Up A 14% Grade The 420m course up the steep street in the northern Sydney suburb rises approximately 60 metres in elevation at an average grade of 14%.
Jenn Suhr Vaults 15-7 (4.75) On Golf Course In NY
Daniel Kipkoech Wins Dam To Dam 20k In Des Moines, Iowa In 1:00:56 (Results)
Saturday: Lukas Verzbicas Runs 14:51 To Win 5,000 At Jim Bush Track Classic; Maggie Vessey Makes Season Debut With 2:03 800 Win Also at the meet was 2-time Olympic 400 hurdles champ Felix Sanchez, who was second in the 400 in 46.27 (Joey Hughes won in 45.84). Felix Kitur won the 800 in 1:45.87 as Charles Jock was 3rd 1:46.33. Kitur was also 2nd in the 1,500 (3:46) to Luis Gutierrez's 3:45.
*Austin Tamagno Sets Freshman 1,600 National Record He ran 4:09.69.
*Craig Miller Wins Festival Of Miles Mile In 3:59.23 As Top 3 Go Sub-4; Aaron Braun Was 6th In 4:01.43 USA Minnesota's Heather Kampf won the 800 in 2:01.96. Two days later, she won the Music City Distance Carnival 800 in 2:02.51. The mile there was won in 3:57.16 by Brooks' Matt Elliot as Olympic Trials steeple 4th placer Donnie Cowart (happiest 4th place finisher ever at the OT last year) was 4:01.36.
*World XC Champ Emily Chebet Earns Her Second Freihofer's Run For Women Title She won the Albany, NY 5k as 2004 Olympic 5,000 silver medalist Isabella Ochichi was 3rd (15:35). Past Olympic marathon gold medalist Joan Samuelson was second in the 50+ age group. Amy Van Alstine was the first American in 16:01. *Full Results
2013 Pre Classic *Friday Full Results *Saturday Full Results *Individual Event Results *LRC Post-Race Video Interviews
Friday Night: Women's 800: LRC Phoebe Wright Gets The Win, Ajee Wilson's Winning Streak Comes To An End And Gabrielle Anderson PRs Wright ran 2:00.85 as Wilson was 3rd (2:01.24).
Friday Night: RRW/LRC Rabbits Falter, Kenenisa Bekele Outkicks Merga For 27:12 Win The 13:18 first 5k never materialized. In the end, Bekele was better than everyone else over the last 200 but he's got some work to do to scare Mo Farah.
Men's International Mile: LRC James Magut Wins, No HS Sub-4 As Will Leer Gets Top American Honors, As Andrew Wheating Runs "Scared" It was a little windy and the times disappointed, but the post-race interviews with Leer, Wheating and Montoya certainly didn't as they were full of insight.
Men's National 1,500: LRC Men's National 1,500: Garrett Heath Wins, Chris Solinsky's Lacking Speed And Alan Webb Struggles But Is Happy Garrett Heath got the win, but our focus in what was basically the "C" heat was firmly on the two Olympians and American record holders (one former, one current) in Webb and Solinsky. Neither ran fast. Webb was next-to-last in 3:45, but even more stunning than that time was the fact that the famously impatient Webb, who is on his fourth coach in four years, was very upbeat afterwards. *Alan Webb Interview
Outside Coverage: IAAF Recap Of Day 1: Russia's Aleksandr Menkov's 8.39 Is Best LJ Since 2011
*Oregonian: Brisk headwind on the back straight plays havoc with men's mid-distances races at the Pre Classic
*Olympic Bronze Medalist Hansle Parchment Wins Prefontaine 110H In Jamaican NR OF 13.05
*Oregonian: Kenenisa Bekele wins 10,000 meters; records fall in other events
*AP Recap Of Pre Distance Night
2013 Pre On The LRC Message Board *Post-Race Video Interviews Already Up
*Official 2013 Saturday Pre Classic Thread
*RITZ IS BACK BABY!!!!
*Derrick came this close to being the #2 American at Pre
*Pre:5000m, How fast was Soi's last 200m?
*Ode to Kim Gallagher who had HS 800 record for 30 + years
*Mary Cain has unfair advantages - so unfair - professional coach. best faciilities
*This is it folks - Mary Cain is the greatest high school distance runner we have ever seen
*Will Mary Cain be the only American with every A-standard in the 800m, 1500m, and 5000m?
*"You Wonder if the Virus is Taking a Little Out of Mo's Finish"
*Jager will break the AR for the SC at Pre
Pre-Meet Pre News
Friday Pre On The Boards: Farah overrules Salazar on Pre race selection Ken Goe of the Oregonian
has the story here.
*Let's Hear It: Rupp Prefontaine Predictions
*None Of This Farah Maneuvering Makes Sense
UPDATE: Mo Farah Switches From 10k To 5k; David Rudisha Out Of 800 Bad news for distance fans as Farah has pulled out of Friday's 10k against Kenenisa Bekele (as was originally rumored here on Wednesday shortly after the annoucement for Bekele's request for pacing to a 13:18 first 5k) and will instead race the 5,000 against Galen Rupp and Bernard Lagat (still a good matchup). Rudisha has pulled out of the meet with a bone bruise.
*MB: Farah out *None Of This Farah Maneuvering Makes Sense
*Meet Director Tom Jordan: "It's just when you are going 26 (sic) laps against the world's best you want to be at the top of your game."
Wow: Pregnant 44-Year-Old Woman Wins Mt. Everest Marathon She ran the high-altitude course in 6:02. Her husband and son tried to convince her not to do it.
US News: Teg Does The Marathon?
- Good Read: Ben True Talks To RW About His Chances At Making The US Team For Moscow 2013 And Is Extremely Confident "I think I'm a top three guy any way you look at it. I'm very confident with my closing speed. At the end of the race, I think there are very few people who can run away from me ... I have the confidence to be able to run with everybody."
- RW Q&A With Matt Tegenkamp, Who Won't Be Racing US Champs This Year In Des Moines, But Instead Is Planning On Doing A Fall Marathon
- IAAF And IOC Officially Name Adam Nelson As The 2004 Olympic SP Champion Following Yuriy Bilonoh's Positive Drug Re-Test
- Do You Live In One Of America's Fittest Cities? In national survey, Minneapolis-St. Paul said to be fittest urban area.
- Transcontinental Relay Will Go 3,000 Miles From LA To Boston To Raise Money For Boston Bombing Victims
- Las Vegas Marathon Shifts From Early December Date To November 17th For Chance At Warmer Weather
Lance Armstrong In The News
- Interesting: USA Today Prints Ongoing Text Conversation Between Lance Armstrong And Betsy Andreu That Show Armstrong Avoiding Meeting Up To Apologize
- Nike Cuts Ties With LiveStrong Foundation
- Boston Marathon Bombing Victim And His Rescuer Honored At Boston Red Sox Game They are the two from this well known photo after the blast.
- Two Ultra-Marathoners Running From DC To Boston To Raise Money For Boston Bombing Victims They have raised over $52,000 so far.
adidas GP Men's Distance Recap (Rest Of Meet In Middle Column) *Results *LRC Winners Photo Gallery *LRC Post-Race Video Interviews
LRC Men's 800 Even Rain Can't Stop David Rudisha; A Fall Robs Erik Sowinski Of Another Great Finish David
Rudisha won as expected and Erik Sowsinki's good form continued as Robby Andrews still is searching for the breakthrough.
Recommended Read: NY Times Writes Feature On Colm O'Connell And David Rudisha: Improbably, Missionary's Work Is To Mentor Kenyan Stars
*MB: Rudisha's SECRET revealed: time operates differently for him!
*Brit Andrew Osagie Wins Race For 2nd Behind Rudisha In 800m
LRC Men's 5k Hagos Gebrhiwet Establishes Himself As Mo Farah's Biggest Rival, Ben True Runs Well American Ben True's fine 2013 continued with a 4th place finish ahead of Dejen Gebremeskel.
*RRW Distance Recap: Rudisha Cruises Despite Conditions, Gebrhiwet, Aregawi, Frazier And Saarel Win
Dream Mile/100: DyeStat Dream Race Coverage: Ben Saarel Closes Last Lap In 56 To Win In 4:02.72; Edward Cheserek Was 3rd In 4:05.36, Andres Arroyo 8th (4:08.41) In the girl's dream mile, Wesley Frazier won in 4:39.17. Cameron Burrell won the boy's Dream 100 (10.40) and Ky Westbrook won the girl's race in 11.52.
*Duke Recruits Go 1-2-3 In New York DL HS Girls' Mile
*On The Boards: BEN SAAREL 4:02.78!!! *Andres Arroyo O U C H *Boy's Mile Race Video *Girl's Mile Race Video
LRC Post-Race Interviews: Men: *David Rudisha *Leo Manzano (talks about no Nike deal) *Ben True *Robby Andrews (might run 800 at USAs) *Erik Sowinski After Fall *Ibrahim Jeilan
HS: *Ben Saarel Dream Mile Winner *Bernie Montoya *Andres Arroyo
For Those Who Don't Think Genes Matter: HSer Cameron Burrell Wins adidas Dream 100 On The Same Track His Dad Leroy Set The WR At 9.91, Beating Carl Lewis In 1991 Burrell's father is a former WR holder and a 4 x 100 gold medalist from the 1992 Olympics. His mom also won a gold medal in the '92 Games running the heats of the 4 x 100. Yeah, good genetics matter.
- Maybe All Those Feel-Good Olympic Stories Aren't A Coincidence? Study Finds That Past Adversity In Life Might Make You A Better/Tougher Runner Today The study found that being exposed to stresses in your life "toughens you up" and lets you better deal with pain while competing.
- Study Looks At How Exercise Affects Sleep, And Vice Versa They found that morning workouts result in fewer wakings during the night compared to afternoon or evening runs.
Week #2 Of IAAF Season Is In The Books *Full Results *LRC Shanghai Photo Gallery (Videos In Race Recap Below) (Non-LRC Coverage Further Down Page)
LRC 2013 Shanghai Recap: Asbel Kiprop Pulls Off A Houdini Act, Do We Have A New King & Queen In The Men's Steeple And
Women's 5,000? Asbel Kiprop amazed, a new phenom emerged in the men's steeple and perhaps as well in the women's 5,000 & Francine Niyonsaba
dominated the women's 800. Plus lots of great sprint/field action with Kirani James, Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce, Jason Richardson, and Chinese hero, jumper Jinzhe Li.
*IAAF Full Meet Recap
LRC Shanghai Photo Gallery
MB: Official 2013 Shanghai Diamond League Discussion Thread
News From Kenya (A Deceased Phenom In The News)
Anniversary Of Sammy Wanjiru's Tragic Death Passes - Mausoleum In His Honour Was Unveiled As His Lawyer Claims Agent Federico Rosa Has Stolen Money
Patrick Makau (2931) Loses To Peter Kirui (2915) At Administration Police Championships
2 Reviews & 1 Book Excerpt From John McDonnell: The Most Successful NCAA Coach In History
LRC Book Review By Former Hog Marlon Boykins: "Two Thumbs Up:"
book is full of insight into the hard-working, team-first ethos that
made us such a successful." We had two people review the book, including the 1:47 man Boykins, who was at Arkansas at the pinnacle of its heyday. "It was a self-contained UBER-COMPETITIVE atmosphere ... the sprinters, jumpers and distance guys all trying to show which group reigned supreme ..."
Book Excerpt The Legendary Story Of The 1989 Penn Relays DMR, Where 4 Kids From Arkansas, Texas And Missouri Beat 4 African Olympians And The Olympic 1,500m Champ The 1989 Mount St. Mary's Penn Relays DMR team featured 4 African Olympians, including 1988 Olympic 1,500m champ Peter Rono. John McDonnell's Arkansas squad featured 4 kids from Texas, Missouri and Arkansas. A legendary motivational speech by McDonnell and Joe Falcon on the anchor made for one of the great upsets in Penn Relays history. Read all about it in this excerpt from the new John McDonnell biography.
LRC Review #2 John McDonnell D2 Coach Torrey Olson We had Olson, who has an MFA in creative writing, give his take. "It's got a lot to offer anyone interested in an incredibly sustained passion for the both the sport and the profession."
The 2013 NCAA Championships - Women's Coverage *Live Results *Heat Sheets *LRC Post-Race Interviews *LRC Day 2 Photos *LRC Day 1 Photos *LRC Women's Preview *LRC Men's Preview *Men's Start Lists *Women's Start Lists *Streaming/TV Info *Schedule *LRC $20,013 Prediction Contest
LRC Women’s 1500: Oklahoma State’s Natalja Piliusina Weaves Her Way From Seventh To First In The Final 100m To Win Florida's Cory McGee ended up a well deserved second in 4:13.94.
LRC Women's 3,000m Steeplechase: Emma Coburn Wins Her Second NCAA Steeple Title As Colleen Quigley Gets The "A" Coburn got the win here, but wasn't nearly as dominant as she usually is in an NCAA steeplechase as FSU's Colleen Quigley finished only 2.85 seconds back after a fast last lap.
Team Competition (Kansas Wins, Oregon Denied The Triple Crown): Kansas wins first women's NCAA title in school history Stanley Redwine's program has risen as the Jayhawks look to recapture the track and field glory they used to enjoy when it was a men's only program. Kansas won with 60 points to Texas A&M's 44 and Oregon's 43.
*Oregonian: Oregon Women Unravel, English Gardner shocks everyone and says she's going pro early All we can say is good luck getting a big deal from Nike. Of course, it might look bad for the Swoosh if the beloved Gardner signs with someone else.
Other Events: *Women's high jump ... Brigetta Barrett of Arizona ends career with record sixth HJ title
*Brianna Rollins runs 12.39 in 100h WOW is all we can say. Truly incredible.
Day 3 Coverage
LRC Women's 5,000: Abbey D'Agostino Repeats And Denies Jordan Hasay The Storybook Ending
somewhat surprisingly had the lead on the last lap and the Oregon crowd was going nuts until Abbey D battled back and won going away.
*MB: Abbey D wins Betsy 2nd, Jordan 3rd.
*MB: Abbey challenged by hasay, blows her away
LRC Women's 800: Natoya Goule Completes Undefeated Season and Pulls Five Others To Lifetime PRs Goule became the 4th-fastest collegian in history and just missed the coveted 2:00 barrier as Oregon's Laura Roesler had to settlle for runner-up honors.
- AP Day 3 Recap
- Register-Guard: It's A Magic Moment For English Gardner In The 100 As Her 10.96 Victory Leads Oregon's 32 Points On Friday To Make It A Title Race Our interview with Gardner is here.
- UO Coach Robert Johnson: "It's not over yet. I think we still have some battles to fight. But anytime you have that big of a deficit, you really have to get going. We have to find those points somewhere."
- Stanford's Kori Carter Wins 400H In A Collegiate Record Of 53.21 Seconds Last year she was dead last. Now she'll have a good shot at making the US Moscow team, but says she's being the "worst maids of honor of all-time" because US Champs are the same week as her sister's wedding.
- South Dakota's Bethany Buell Wins Pole Vault In 14-7 1/4, Tying The NCAA Meet Record
- Ashley Spencer Of Illinois Upsets Shaunae Miller Of Georgia To Win Women's 400 In 50.28
- Kansas' Lindsay Vollmer Upsets Arkasnas' Pre-Meet Favorite Makeba Alcide For Heptathlon Win
- San Diego's Shanieka Thomas Leaps 46-4 3/4 To Win TJ
Usain Bolt News
- Usain Bolt admits he's not motivated like he used to be but insists he'll be fine for Moscow "I would say my determination is not as much as it used to be,"
- Column: So, Usain Bolt is shot then? No, just undercooked
- A Bad Week For The Bolt Family: A Day After Usain Bolt Lost In Rome, His Father Was Robbed Of $4,000 When Thieves Broke Into His Pickup Truck
Random Non-NCAA News
- Phillips Idowu: I didn't go missing...it was all lies in London
- Post-Run Back Pain Turns Out To Be Unknown Pregnancy As Minnesota Woman Unexpectedly Gives Birth She had no idea she was pregnant as she was losing weight training for Grandma's Half Marathon and her husband had had a vasectomy.
- Jessica Ennis Pulls Out Of Her Season Opener In Edinburgh Saturday With Achilles Injury
- IAAF President Lamine Diack Turns 80
NCAAs Day 2
- Clemson's Brianna Rollins Runs 12.47 In 100H Semis To Set A New Collegiate Record We got an interview with Rollins here.
- Lengthy Abbey D'Agostino Profile From Local Paper
- Virginia Tech's Tomas Kruzliak Wins Hammer Throw Becoming Their 6th Hammer Champ Since 2005
Women's 200: LSU Kimberlyn Duncan The Big Favorite For The Final As UO's English Gardner Fails To Advance
*Oregon's English Gardner Fails To Make 200 Final After Hurting Her Ankle; Blow To Their Team Points She was in the 200, 100, 4 x 100 and 4 x 400 this week. She's not sure how she'll bounce back for the rest of her races, but says she is definitely still racing.
*Video Interview With Gardner
- Ducks Have Fastest Women's 4 X 4 In Semis Even Without Gardner Our interview here.
- Anna Jelmini of Arizona State Wins Women's Discus
- Arkansas' Favorite Makeba Alcide Leads Heptathlon After Day 1
- Nova's Emily Lipari Ready For NCAA 1,500m Final
LRC Betsy Saina Comes Through As Favorite And Wins 10k; Emma Bates Third Saina delivered as the favorite as she ran away from Aliphine Tuliamuk-Bolton on the last lap. Top American honors went to Boise State sophomore Emma Bates.
2013 Rome Golden Gala *Full Results *Event-By-Event Results *MB: Official 2013 Rome Golden Gala Diamond League Thread LRC *Rome Photo Gallery
*Results LRC Rome Photo Gallery
LRC Women's 1,500: Abeba Aregawi Dominates As Jenny Simpson Runs Race Of Her Life* To Finish Third American Jenny Simpson is in the form of her life and we have the stats to prove it - way better than when she was world champ. The problem is Sweden's Abeba Aregawi is on another planet right now.
On The Boards: LR, Stop the hyperbole! Race of her life? Jenny Simpson won WC gold!
LRC Men's 100: Justin Gatlin Stuns Usain Bolt In Rome If Bolt losing isn't rare enough, how about this - Bolt got off to a self-described "perfect start" and still lost to Gatlin.
*MB: Gatlin 9.94 over Bolt in Rome
*Lauren Fleshman Tweets: "Wish I could get excited about an American off a drug suspension beating a world record holder, but nope. #RomeDL."
*After Loss, Bolt Puts Loss In Perspective & Says He'll Be Back Guardian Good news is Bolt says his hamstring is fine. Up next is a 200m in Oslo next week.
LRC Men's 5,000: Yenew Alamirew Stuns Hagos Gebrhiwet Hagos Gebrhiwet ran 12:55 but he was no match for the 23-year-old Alamirew, who closed in 54 to get the win after only finishing third at Pre. Meanwhile, Pre winner Edwin Soi was just 5th.
*MB: ALAMIREW OVER GEBRIWHET!!! 12:54 with 54 last lap!!
LRC Rest Of Meet: Aman Wins 8 Over New French Star, Allyson Felix Gets Beaten Badly, Fall In Steeple, Jump-Off In High Jump, And Almost A Home Win In Triple Lots of drama before a nice crowd in Rome. A 21-year-old Frenchman emerged in the 800, Allyson Felix ran her worst 200 since 2005 and much more.
*USATF List Of US Performances
*Milcah Chemos Gets Win In Steeple, Other Kenyans Fair Poorly In Rome Daily Nation
Sad News: At Award Ceremony Oceania Race Walk Champion Collapses And Then Eventually Dies
Japanese Champs Underway: Hitomi Niiya Runs 31.06 For 10,000m To Dominate Japanese National Track Champs, Book Her Ticket to Moscow
A Lot Of Hot Races Set For Saturday
- NY Mini 10K: Linet Masai, Diane Nukuri-Johnson And The Return Of Desi Davilla Highlight The NY Mini 10K
- RRW: Kidney Stones Will Not Stop Stephanie Pezzullo From Running Oakley New York Mini 10K
- Desi Davila Running Her First Race Since Dropping Out Of The Olympics On Saturday At New York Mini 10K In this Q&A with Runner's World, she says that she's hoping to mix it up with the top Americans and run around 33 minutes. Looking ahead, she'll also be racing the US Half Champs in a couple of weeks at Grandma's Marathon.
- Portland Track Classic: Matt Centrowitz Vs. Andrew Wheating Highlights Competitive 800 Set For Portland Track Classic On Saturday Night Also in there are Mark Wieczorek, Tyler Mulder and Ryan Martin. And if you haven't heard, Mary Cain is racing her debut track 5k.
- Bekele In Hengelo Saturday Night: Kenenisa Bekele Says He Wants Double Gold In Moscow - Admits He's Not In Top Form Right Now "I want both world titles back, that I won in Berlin in 2009 ... (The 10k) was just an average race. I'm not in a top shape at the moment but I think I can deliver on Saturday."
*MB: Possible Live Streaming Info For FBK Games If there is a stream it would be sometime this afternoon.
- RIP: US's Former Pole Vault WR Holder From The 1960s, Brian Sternberg, Dies At Age 69
- NZ Road Walker Dies From A Possible Brain Hemorrhage After Winning A Race
Pre Race Rome
LRC Meet Preview: An Incredible Women's 1,500 Where Jenny Simpson Takes On The World's Best; Hagos Gebrhiwet Faces Mo Farah's
*Athletics Weekly Preview Of Rome: Bolt Vs. Gatlin, Gebrhiwet Vs. Soi As Greene Opens Season
*Justin Gatlin Explains Why He's Been Trash-Talking Bolt - It's Part Of Sport And Needed For PR Purposes - And Sort Of Apologizes We still think Usain is going to spank him to teach him a lesson.
*Jumps Take Center Stage At Rome Press Conference
*USATF Lists US Athletes Competing In Rome Today Also lists 2012 US Olympians competing at NCAAs.
*1,500 Update: Morgan Uceny Is Sick And Has Pulled Out Of The 1,500
Two British Stars Are Injured
- Jessica Ennis Has Withdrawn From Her 2013 Season Opener In Edinburgh With An Achilles Injury
- Jenny Meadows Has Stress Fracture In Femur - Will Miss All Of 2013
*Meadows Confident Of 2014 Return
Mary Cain Named USATF Athlete Of The Week For Her Sub-2 At Pre Classic "Before this race, I was a little more nervous than usual. I tend to think solely of the process and just competing, but before this race, the 2:00 barrier was in the back of my mind."
Previous Pre-Rome News
*Bolt's DL Season Begins With 100m Clash With Gatlin: Bolt Q&A From Press Conference
*1 Minute Of Press Conference Highlights (Video From AFP) - Bolt Feeling Good *Full 30 Minutes
*Bolt: "I have four years left and will dominate them all." Bolt on Gatlin: "He's said a lot this season already, but for me it's normal because a lot of athletes always talk a lot. It's about when you show up and prove yourself to be the best at a championship. That's what matters."
*Independent: Usain Bolt: The sprinter is back... and ready for the World Championships Bolt: "I have accomplished all my dreams but I do have goals that I make myself. I have four more years in this sport so now it is about dominating for those four years."
*Bolt Talks Ahead Of Rome 100 And Comments On The Criticism He Received For Showing Up In A Picture With A Pro-Cannabis T-Shirt "They tried to make a big deal of it. I'm not going to really be stressed by that. I know who I am and I know what I've represented over the years."
*Reuters: Bolt plotting grand exit from athletics in Rio
*MB: Rome 800 Field: Aman, Kiprop, Kitum, Rotich and Solomon
Pistorius' Hearing Postponed Until Aug. 19 (Includes Video Of Bodyguards Having To Force Their Way Through Huge Crowds To Get Pistorius To His Car) His actual trial is not expected to start before September, at the earliest.
*Oscar P Shows Up In Court - Everything Delayed 'Til August - Steenkamp's 30th BDay
- Adam Gemili Loses To Robot In A Race But Is Conifdent He'll Be Better Than Ever In 2013 "My technique is much better, I am stronger and I have a lot more confidence."
- GBR's Lynsey Sharp Formally Upgraded To 2012 European 800 Gold After Russian Is Banned For Doping
- Creepy? Comrades Marathon Runner Grabs 5-Year-Old's Mickey Mouse Doll And Runs 50 Miles With It And Now Sleeps With It At Night The family wants it back and the marathoner says he's sad to give it up, but they can have it if they come get it from him.
- Study Finds Chronic Stress Not Good For Your Running (At Least If You're A Mouse, Anyway) Researchers found that mice under chronic stress did less running on the wheels in their cages than mice not under stress, but upped their mileage once the stress was removed.
- Go For A Run: June 5th Is National Running Day
- Oregon House Passes Resolution To Honor Decathlon Champion Ashton Eaton
- US Olympians Speaking To 800 Young Students At Oregon Campus On June 6th "Olympic Day" On Oregon University Campus
Aries Merritt: “2012 was a breakthrough year for me, I need to make sure I stay on top” He hasn't been having a good 2013, but hopefully he'll come around.
*Other Upcoming DL:
*June 13 Conseslus Kipruto Vs. 2008 Olympic Champ Brimin Kipruto And 2012 Bronze Medalist Abel Mutai In The Oslo DL Meet Steeplechase
*June 30: Deep 400H Field Set For Birmingham DL Meet With The Top 4 From London Games In Felix Sanchez, Michael Tinsley, Javier Culson & Dai Greene Aries Merritt headlines the 110H field.
More From The Weekend
- RRW Pre Recap: Tirunesh Dibaba Complained About The Pacemaking As The Pacemaker Dropped Out At 4 Laps When She Thought She Was Going 6 US's Alexi Pappas went 600m and Sara Vaughn took Dibaba through 1,600m in 4:37. Vaughn actually ran as fast as a pacemaker here as she did in her last mile race (a 4:38.93 for 8th place at Re:Run SanDiego). Her PR is only 4:34, so it was physically impossible for Vaughn to run that fast for 2 more laps.
- New Comrades Marathon Champion Claude Moshiywa Says That South Africans Need An Attitude Adjustment If They Want To Keep Winning The Famous Ultra Event The 39-year-old Moshiywa is extremely dedicated as he works full time for a bank and gets up at 3AM every day to run 20-32k before work.
- US 2004 Olympic LJ Champ Dwight Phillips Has Another Bad Meet With Last Place At Pre, But Says, "I will turn things around when I need to turn them around." If you're worried about him making Worlds, don't. He gets a bye as he's the 2011 champ. He says this is probably his last outdoor season though as he probably will retire after the 2014 indoor season.
- UK's World Junior Chams Bronze Medallist Emelia Gorecka wins British Milers Club GP 5,000 In 15:35
- UK Sprinters In Switzerland: Olympic Semifinalist James Dasaolu Gets World Champs "A" With 10.14 (In The Semis) Dwain Chambers ran 10.31 for 2nd in the final.
- Update On Ultramarathoners Who Are Running From DC To Boston To Raise Money For Bombing Victims (Have Raised Over $65,000 So Far) They were in Connecticut on Friday.
- IAAF Recap Pan American Combined Events Cup: Cuba's Yorgelis Rodriguez And Yordani Garcia Get The Wins
- EA News: No Surprise That Czech 400 Hurdler Zuzana Hejnova Is Running Her Way To The Top She just dominated the field at Pre.
*Russia's Ekaterina Strokova Broke 19-Year-Old Discus MR At Terra Sarda In Cagliari With 60.21m
*31-Year-Old Greek LJer Luis Tsatoumas Wins Meet In Kalamata
2013 Pre Classic *Friday Full Results *Saturday Full Results *Individual Event Results *LRC Post-Race Video Interviews
Alysia Montaño Says She Was "Banged Up" Coming Into Pre And Thought Her Coach "Was Going A Little Crazy" Having Her Run "I felt my coach was a little crazy going into this; I've had a pretty hard last couple weeks."
*MB: Al Sal Says Pollen Count Too High For Rupp
Mary Cain's Father Says His Role Is To Help Her "Maintain Perspective And Keep Her Grounded" And He Doesn't Rule Out Her Running In College
Post-Pre Factoids: Pre Classic Got Higher Attendance Than NCAA Regional Baseball, Mary Cain Talks To UO Coaches Are we supposed to be happy that one of the sport's best professional events was bigger than college baseball games that couldn't even attract 3,000 when college teams play 50+ per year and Pre wasn't sold out despite stellar fields? Correction: This article says Pre was sold-out Saturday
*MB: Possible NCAA violation? Oregon coach Maurica Powell had 'prolonged' talk with Cain after Pre
IAAF Full Meet Recap: Mutaz Essa Barshim cleared 7-10 1/2 HJ - the highest since 2000. LaShawn Merritt stunned Kirani James in 400.
*Oregonian: Mutaz Essa Barshim jumps 7-10 1/2, the highest bar anyone has cleared in 13 years
*Mutaz Essa Barshim's 7'10.5" Came In His First-Ever Meet Without His 67-Year-Old Coach "Stanley" Szczyrba In Attendance
LRC Women's 800: Mary Cain Breaks 2:00 As Francine Niyonsaba Dominates Niysonaba was fantastic and got a new meet record. Also running amazingliy was American Brenda Martinez, but both were overshadowed by the 17-year-old Cain.
*Oregonian: Mary Cain shatters 31-year-old national high school record
*Mary Cain Yahoo Photos
LRC Men's 5,000: Mo Farah Is Beaten By Edwin Soi As Galen Rupp Finishes Sixth Dathan Ritzenhein ran the 2nd-fastest time of his career and Chris Derrick almost took top American-born honors but Galen Rupp's pride enabled him to mow them down in the last 100m.
*Oregonian: Edwin Cheruiyot Soi hands Mo Farah his first loss in an outdoor final in almost two years at the Pre Classic
*Eugene Register-Guard: Soi's saucy kick shoves Farah, Rupp aside *Register Guard Photo
LRC Bowerman Mile: Silas Kiplagat Steals The Race From Asbel Kiprop At The Line As 10 Guys Run 3:51 Or Faster Matthew Centrowitz and Lopez Lomong both ran 3:51 but wanted more as it's never fun to finish 9th and 10th.
LRC Men's Steeple: Conseslus Kipruto Survives Ezekiel Kemboi's Shove; Evan Jager 8:08 The men's steeple had everybody, including a mouth-watering dual between the future (Kipruto) and present rulers (Kemboi), that more than lived up to the hype. Evan Jager was right there until the last 250.
LRC Women's 5,000: Tirunesh Dibaba Survives A Scare From Mercy Cherono Dibaba won but boy did she have to work for it on the thrilling last lap. Kim Conley PRed to grab top American honors.
LRC Women's 1,500: Hellen Obiri Wins In 3:58 As Treniere Moser And Sheila Reid Run 4:02 Alberto Salazar's magic continued as the 31-year-old Moser crushed her 2006 PR.
LRC Men's 800: Mohammed Aman Dominates As Nick Symmonds Debuts In Third An encouraging race for both Aman and Symmonds, who are dreaming of gold in Moscow.
More Saturday News: *Valerie Adams' 3+ Year Win Streak Continued - But Only Barely (.03m)
Oscar P News
- Graphic: Photos Of Oscar Pistorius' Bloodied Bathroom Leaked To Press
- Pistorius's Family "Shaken" By Images No need to worry about jury pool being tainted as the judges decide things.
- Usain Bolt Being Criticized For Appearing In Picture With Pro-Cannabis T-Shirts
- Dwain Chambers - Bolt's Biggest Rival Is Bolt Himself "I think the biggest threat to Bolt is Bolt himself, that's the only thing that might let him down..The only thing stopping him is if he wants it enough. I believe he does."
- Scotland's Eilidh Child Sets New Scottish Record Of 54.93 In 400H
- Teddy Tamgho And Britain's Phillips Idowu To Clash In TJ On Monday
- AK Names "Probable" List For 2013 World Championships There will be the usual debates/issues with Kenyan pre-championship camps as they want all their athletes there on June 2nd, but most are racing/training around the globe and that will never happen, but they will get angry about it anyway.
- Look At Names On AK Provisional List For Moscow 2013: Include Rudisha, Ezikiel Kemboi, Asbel Kiprop And Wilson Kiprop (10k)
- Kip Keino Re-Elected As President Of Kenya's Olympic Committee (NOCK) Despite Facing Criticism Over 2012 Olympic Performance Paul Tergat was also re-elected to his position as athletes' representative.
- Athletics Kenya President Isaiah Kiplagat Was Crushed In The Election For NOCK Vice President By Kenya Swimming Federation Chairman He was pretty angry and said, "This is all tribal ... They are also afraid of me because I question everything and they have never wanted me there in the first case."
- Kenyan Opinion Piece: Why NOCK Team Were Bound To Retain Seats "Intrigues, backstabbing, horse trading and a whiff of blackmail are some of the highlights of the high stakes National Olympic Committee of Kenya polls."
Pros In The News: Caster Semenya Might Not Race In 2013, Japanese Marathoner Tests Positive
- Caster Semenya Might Not Race This Season As She's Not At 100% Fitness After Coming Back From A Knee Injury Her Coach Maria Mutola says contrary to the SASCOC statement (which said her funding was cut because she wasn't training) Mutola says she has been training, but says they are "a little bit behind."
- Japanese Marathoner Kaori Yoshida (4th Place In December's Honolulu Marathon) Gets 1-Year Doping Ban For Testing Positive For EPO She only got a 1-year ban because she supposedly took it by accident after receiving medication from a doctor for anemia.
- IAAF Profile On Canadian Multieventers Damian Warner And Brianne Theisen Who Won Last Saturday At The Hypo Meet In Gotzis Theisen got the upset win last week in a field that included Russia's reigning world champion Tatyana Chernova.
- Running Times Interview With US Road Mile Champ Kate Grace Reflecting On Lessons Learned In Her First Year As A Pro
- Michael Tinsley Named USATF Athlete Of The Week For Winning adidas GP 400H
IOC News: Track Gets Less Money, Wrestling Still Has A Chance
- Track Will Get A Smaller Share Of The Olympic Revenue From The IOC For The 2016 A Olympics As Swimming And Gymnastics Get A Larger Cut
*Olympic Revenue Distribution By Sport
- Wrestling, Baseball/Softball And Squash Shortlisted By IOC For Inclusion Into The 2020 Olympics A final decision will be made in a full membership vote in September. Karate, roller sports, sport climbing, wakeboarding and the Chinese martial art of wushu were eliminated yesterday.
Haile G's WR Track In Gengelo To Be Destroyed *Sign Petition To Save It (You Will Have To Confirm Your Signature Via Email)
- Dutch Track For The Fanny Blankers-Koen (FBK) Games Could Be No More As Officials Are Planning On Tearing Up The Stadium's Track And Turning It Into A Soccer Pitch This meet/stadium has been host to some historical track performances, including 4 world records by Haile Gebrselassie (at 5k, 2 miles and twice in the 10k) and Kenenisa Bekele's current 5K WR from 2004 (12.37.35).
- Haile G Tweets: "Don't throw away my World Record track! @FBKGames" *2nd Tweet
- Sign The Petition To Save FBK Stadium In Hengelo Dutch article here and here.
NYC adidas Grand Prix *Results *LRC Winners Photo Gallery *LRC Post-Race Video Interviews
*Results *IAAF Recap *RRW
LRC Non-Distance Action: Blanka Vlasic Returns With A Win, Tyson Gay Wins Again As Does Jenn Suhr, Favorites Christian Taylor And Brittney Reese Struggle Amantle Montsho somehow went sub-50 in terrible conditions.
LRC Women's 1,500: Aregawi Wins Easily As Expected; The Americans Miss The "A" As Morgan Uceny Improves Step in the right direction for Uceny and Rowbury.
LRC Women's Steeple: Lidya Chepkurui Gets Her Second DL Victory, Bridget Franek Impresses (link now fixed)
LRC Winners Photo Gallery
adidas GP On The Boards:
MB: Official 2013 adidas Grand Prix New York Thread
*BEN SAAREL 4:02.78!!!
*What really happened when Sowinsky fell
*Wariner's Back Baby!!!
*Just saw Leo Manzano in NY hotel lobby, he's been added to adidas GP 800 as has Brannen, Rutt and Lalang
*How Good Does Leroy Burrell's Son Get?
*The LetsRun.com Guarantee - No Sub-4 mile on Saturday. If there is a sub-4, we'll pay you $1,000.
(In Case You Missed It Over the Weekend) Occidental *LRC Oxy Recap *LRC 2013 Oxy Photos *OXY HP Live Thread
LRC Oxy Recap Mary Cain 4:04.62! Is Now Nearly 10 Seconds Faster Than Any Other American High Schooler
High school junior Mary Cain ran 4:04.62 for 2nd place to Katie Mackay to smash the American high school record. Cain is now nearly 10 seconds faster than any other American high schooler ever, and would be the #2 collegian of all time. Will Leer won the stacked 1,500m, but not officially, no men hit the "A" standard in the 1,500 or 5k, and Jenny Simpson PRed and Treniere Mosier impressed. Plus Webb,
and Solinsky in the 5k. *2013 Oxy Photo Gallery
*Post-Race Video Interview With Cain
*IAAF Recap: "Mo Farah Upstaged By US Prodigy Mary Cain"
Oxy On The Boards:
- MARY CAIN 4:04.62 IAAF A STANDARD!! *OXY HP Live Thread *Nick Symmonds wins OxyHP *Ritz looked great tonight *Bottom line: How many "A" Standard did Oxy Accomplish? *Prediction Of Day: Mary Cain will run under 4:06 tonight *Webb at oxy... Very concerning... I love the guy but what's happening to his career?!
Two Recommended Reads
Recommended Read: Religion Blog: What Truths Does Iconic Image Of Boston Marathon Truly Capture? "Just as Jews pray to celebrate Passover 'next year in Jerusalem' and Muslims pledge to visit Mecca, marathoners want to 'run
*More Boston: Runners Start An Online Petition To Grant A Spot In The 2014 Boston Marathon To The 5,700 Runners Who Were Stopped Before They Could Finish More than 21,000 have signed; the BAA say they haven't made a decision yet.
RR#2: John Mayer: Western State's Ian Butler On Remarkable Run In Life's Goal To Succeed The D2 All-American suffered two brain injuries as a kid and has had people tell him he's retarded and has the memory of a goldfish. Hanging out with the wrong crowd in 9th grade, he's now on track to be a college grad.
Portland Track Classic Was Saturday Night *Full Results
- Mary Cain Runs US High School Record With 15:45.46 This puts her 5th all-time in the U.S. women junior list. (Molly Huddle has the record at 15:36.95). Treniere Moser was 2nd in 15:35 as Karolina Jarzynska won it in 15:25.
*MB: Portland Track Festival Discussion
- Tyler Mulder Wins 800 In 1:44.79; Mark Wieczorek 3rd (1:45.85), Matt Centrowitz 4th (1:45.86), Andrew Wheating 6th (1:46.85) Ryan Martin 7th in 1:46.87 and Charles Jock was 8th in 1:47.51.
- Oregonian: 2:26 marathoner Karolina Jarzynska wins 5k, Mulder now full of confidence after big 800 win
- Aisha Praught Wins Portland Steeple In 9:50 Over Shalaya Kipp Alex Pappas was back in 5th in 9:57.
- Billy Nelson Wins Portland Track Classic Steeple in 8:33
- Other Distance Results: Luke Puskedra 3rd in 5k with 13:42; Violah Lagat Wins 1500 (4:09) Over Brie Felnagle & Bridget Franek In 1500 Jason Hartman coached HSer Elise Cranny was 4th (4:15).
MB: Kenenisa Bekele Drops Out Of Hengelo 5k The winning time was 13:04 but it proved to be too hot for Bekele.
Saturday On The Roads: Oakley NY Mini 10k *Results
Mamitu Daska Cruises To Victory At 42nd Oakley New York Mini 10-K, Desiree Davila Returns To Racing Daska had no trouble defeating Linet Masai. Mattie Suver was top American ahead of Stephanie Rothstein Bruce and Desiree Davila in her first race in nearly a year.