Pre Classic Friday Night *Schedule/Entries/Streaming/TV Info (Friday Live Stream Starting At 10PM ET, Saturday Live On NBC) *LRC Fri Preview *LRC Sat. Preview
UPDATE: Mo Farah Switches From 10k To 5k; David Rudisha Out Of 800 Bad news for distance fans as Farah has pulled out of Friday's 10k against Kenenisa Bekele (as was originally rumored here on Wednesday shortly after the annoucement for Bekele's
request for pacing to a 13:18 first 5k) and will instead race the 5000 against Galen Rupp and Bernard Lagat (still a good match-up). Rudisha has pulled out of the meet with a bone bruise.
*MB: Farah out *None Of This Farah Maneuvering Makes Sense
*Meet Director Tom Jordan: "It's just when you are going 26 laps against the world's best you want to be at the top of your game."
LRC 2013 Pre Classic Distance Night Preview:
Farah Vs. Bekele At 10,000, Ajee' Wilson Gets
Snubbed, Alan Webb Returns To The 1,500, And More The Pre meet has so much high quality distance action it
gets spread out over two days. First up is Friday's action which may have a dream matchup of Farah vs. has Bekele at 10k. US junior phenom Ajee' Wilson got totally snubbed, Alan Webb is back, and Andrew Wheating is running the "B" race.
*Chris Solinsky And Galen Rupp Talk To Ken Goe Ahead Of Their Races At The Prefontaine Classic Solinsky hoping to take another step in the right direction: "I've been doing a lot of 5k training, a lot of strength stuff. I have no idea of what to expect. The nice part about this not being my primary event is that I'll have the freedom to get after it and make aggressive decisions."
Pre Classic 10k On Friday Night Will Be Paced To A 13:18 First 5k As Requested By Kenenisa Bekele Bekele's WR is 26:17.53; Mo Farah's PR is 26:46 from the Pre two years ago.
*MB: Bekele request 13:18 first 5,000m pace at Pre 2013
High Schooler Bernie Montoya Entered In International Mile At Pre And Going For Sub-4 He was 4th in the adidas Dream Mile last weekend with 4:05.65. Why isn't Ben Saarel in this?
Wow: Pregnant 44-Year-Old Woman Wins Mt. Everest Marathon She ran the high-altitude course in 6:02. Her husband and son tried to convince her not to do it.
US News: Teg Does The Marathon?
- Good Read: Ben True Talks To RW About His Chances At Making The US Team For Moscow 2013 And Is Extremely Confident “I think I’m a top three guy any way you look at it. I’m very confident with my closing speed. At the end of the race, I think there are very few people who can run away from me ... I have the confidence to be able to run with everybody.”
- RW Q&A With Matt Tegenkamp Who Won't Be Racing US Champs This Year In Des Moines, But Instead Is Planning On Doing A Fall Marathon
- IAAF And IOC Officially Name Adam Nelson As The 2004 Olympic SP Champion Following Yuriy Bilonoh's Positive Drug Re-Test
- Do You Live in One of America's Fittest Cities? In national survey, Minneapolis-St. Paul said to be fittest urban area.
- Transcontinental Relay Will Go 3,000 Miles From LA To Boston To Raise Money For Boston Bombing Victims
- Las Vegas Marathon Shifts From Early December Date To November 17th For Chance At Warmer Weather
- Logoc Announce £30 Million Surplus In Final Set Of Accounts Wiping Out Original BOA Loss
- Madrid Says Financial Problems Won't Hinder Their Ability To Host The 2020 Olympics Other candidates Tokyo and Istanbul are
busy campaigning their bids as well.
Previous Pre Classic News
- Alan Webb In International
Mile1,500 At Pre Classic ... Along With Andrew Wheating
- "Pre Classic 5k Pacer To Go Through 3k At 7:46-7:48 (12:56-13:00 Pace)" - Tom Jordan At Interviews Today
- Rupp Running For American Record (???) - Ran 3 Sets Of (1,600, 1,200, 800, 400)
- Ryan Bailey Faces Nesta Carter, Mike Rodgers And Justin Gatlin In Pre100m The 200 is led by Walter Dix, Nickel Ashmeade and Churandy Martina.
- Allyson Felix, Tianna Madison, Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce And Veronica Campbell-Brown Highlight Women's 100
- Daily Relay 5 Questions With Kim Conley, Who Will Be In The Pre Classic 5k
Other Upcoming Action
- Sunday: RRW Comrades Marathon Preview - All Eyes On Defending Champion Ludwick Mamabolo He's the one who tested positive after last year's race. but after almost a year of legal battles, was found not guilty because of "technical irregularities" in the testing procedure.
- Next Week In Des Moines: Video Interview With Jordan Hasay Discussing Memories Of Running At Hayward Field As She Approaches Her Last Meet As An Oregon Duck Next Week At NCAAs
- July 4th: IAAF Q&A With French "Superheroes" Renaud Lavillenie (PV) Christophe Lemaitre (200) Ahead Of The July 4th Lausanne DL Meet Usain Bolt is in the 200 with Lemaitre, and other big names include Kirani James and France's two-time Olympic steeple silver medallist Mahiedine Mekhissi-Benabbad.
- July 7th: Australia's Gold Cost Airport Marathon Field Highlighted By Japan's Yuki Kawauchi And London Marathon 3rd Placer Yukiko Akaba
2013 Pre Classic Is Friday/Saturday
- Kirani James Vs. LaShawn Merritt Highlights Pre Classic 400 They'll face a deep field that includes Olympic silver medalist Luguelin Santos.
- RunAfricaDotCom Q&A With Olympic 800 Silver Medalist And World Junior Record Holder Nijel Amos (link fixed) He was supposed to race the Pre 800 (which boasted all 8 Olympic finalists), but missed a month of training with a quad injury and has pulled out of the race. He says he's been training for 3 weeks, but isn't in good shape yet.
- 10,000 Legends Kenenisa Bekele And Mo Farah To Clash At Pre Classic On Friday The race could be special. That being said, after a spat between Nike and adidas, the meet will NOT serve as the Ethiopian Moscow Trials.
- World's Fastest Teenager Racing At 2013 Pre Classic Women's 1,500 And Her Name Isn't Mary Cain
- Al Sal's Nike Oregon Project Runners Are "Resting" Not "Tapering" For This Weekend's Prefontaine Clash "We're not tapering for it like we would the U.S. Championships, but we're resting a week for it."
Lance Armstrong In The News
- Interesting: USA Today Prints Ongoing Text Conversation Between Lance Armstrong And Betsy Andreu That Show Armstrong Avoiding Meeting Up To Apologize
- Nike Cuts Ties With LiveStrong Foundation
- Boston Marathon Bombing Victim And His Rescuer Honored At Boston Red Sox Game They are the two from this well known photo after the blast.
- Two Ultra-Marathoners Running From DC To Boston To Raise Money For Boston Bombing Victims They have raised over $52,000 so far.
- Mo Gets Ready By Winning In London: Mo Farah Wins 5th Straight BUPA London 10k Ahead Of "1st Big Test" In Eugene Next Week Farah won by about a minute in 29:13. Simon Hart called the race nothing more than "a crowd-pleasing exhibition." Farah says he's doing more weights and more mileage than last year. *Results For 10k *AW Recap Of Farah's 10k
- Brit Mag Athletics Weekly Is Worried Hagos Gebrhiwet Is Going To Beat Mo Farah At 5k
- Day After Getting Third In Road Mile, Steph Twell Is 2nd In Women's 10k As Katrina Wooton Wins
- 19-Year-Old Charlie Grice Wins British Athletics One Mile Road Championships After a 2:04 first half, he won in 4:01.9.
- Westminister Mile Video And Results Hannah England won the women's mile.
adidas GP Men's Distance Recap (Rest Of Meet In Middle Column) *Results *LRC Winners Photo Gallery *LRC Post-Race Video Interviews
LRC Men's 800 Even Rain Can't Stop David Rudisha; A Fall Robs Erik Sowinski Of Another Great Finish David
Rudisha won as expected and Erik Sowsinki's good form continued as Robby Andrews still is searching for the breakthrough.
Recommended Read: NY Times Writes Feature On Colm O'Connell And David Rudisha: Improbably, Missionary's Work Is To Mentor Kenyan Stars
*MB: Rudisha's SECRET revealed: time operates differently for him!
*Brit Andrew Osagie Wins Race For 2nd Behind Rudisha In 800m
LRC Men's 5k Hagos Gebrhiwet Establishes Himself As Mo Farah's Biggest Rival, Ben True Runs Well American Ben True's fine 2013 continued with a 4th place finish ahead of Dejen Gebremeskel.
*RRW Distance Recap: Rudisha Cruises Despite Conditions, Gebrhiwet, Aregawi, Frazier And Saarel Win
Dream Mile/100: DyeStat Dream Race Coverage: Ben Saarel Closes Last Lap In 56 To Win In 4:02.72; Edward Cheserek Was 3rd In 4:05.36, Andres Arroyo 8th (4:08.41) In the girl's dream mile, Wesley Frazier won in 4:39.17. Cameron Burrell won the boy's Dream 100 (10.40) and Ky Westbrook won the girl's race in 11.52.
*Duke Recruits Go 1-2-3 In New York DL HS Girls' Mile
*On The Boards: BEN SAAREL 4:02.78!!! *Andres Arroyo O U C H *Boy's Mile Race Video *Girl's Mile Race Video
LRC Post-Race Interviews: Men: *David Rudisha *Leo Manzano (talks about no Nike deal) *Ben True *Robby Andrews (might run 800 at USAs) *Erik Sowinski After Fall *Ibrahim Jeilan
HS: *Ben Saarel Dream Mile Winner *Bernie Montoya *Andres Arroyo
For Those Who Don't Think Genes Matter: HSer Cameron Burrell Wins adidas Dream 100 On The Same Track His Dad Leroy Set The WR At 9.91, Beating Carl Lewis In 1991 Burrell's father is a former WR holder and a 4 x 100 gold medalist from the 1992 Olympics. His mom also won a gold medal in the '92 Games running the heats of the 4 x 100. Yeah, good genetics matter.
Regionals *NCAA D1 Regionals Results *DII Results *DIII Results *NCAA Confirms Final Entries For Nationals
- Jordan Hasay Keeps Her College Career Alive By Coming Back From Disappointment In The 10k To Win Her 5k Heat In 16:00.84
- *Video Interview With An Emotional Hasay After Making It In The 5k
*Ken Goe: "Jordan Hasay will complete her college career at Hayward Field, and that is how it should be."
*Register Guard: "Duck track and field heads home for NCAA outdoor championships on Jordan Hasay’s lead"
- NCAA Confirms Final Entries For National Championships
- MB: Saturday Regional Results: Anything big happen? Big names staying home? Kyle Merber went out in the 1,500, Parker Stinson and Meaghan Nelson went out in the 5k (but made it in the 10k). Heat 1 of the East 1,500 was quick with Jeremy Rae beating Andrew Bayer 3:39.92 to 3:40.43.
- OTB: Why Didn't Laura Hollander Run in the West Regional?
*Associated Press has no clue who Jordan Hasay is
*HASAY VS. DIAGOSTINO in nationals
DIII: MB: Christy Cazzola wins 800 (2:05.93), 1500 (4:17.23) and 5000 (16:31.17)
DIII Women: Wartburg Secures Third National Title In Five Years With Triple Jump Finish
DIII Men: UW-La Crosse Holds Off UW-Eau Claire To Capture 12th Outdoor Championship
DII Men: Sprinters, Hurdlers Help St. Augustine's Cruise To 11th Outdoor Championship
DII Women: Academy Of Art Sweeps 2013 Track Titles With Outdoor Team Championship
Great CityGames In Manchester, England; Kenyan Police Champs
- Greg Rutherford Wins Great CityGames Manchester LJ
- GreatBritain's Perri Shakes-Drayton Beats Olympic Champ Natalya Antyukh And Sets World Record (Best) In Rarely-Run 200 Hurdles
*More On Perri Shakes-Drayton
- Allyson Felix Sets World's Best In Women's 150m At 16.36 Florence Griffith-Joyner ran 16.10 in her 200m world record.
*Allyson Felix Wishes Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce Hadn't Pulled Out So Olympic 100 And 200 Champs Could Have Raced
- Christophe Lemaitre Runs 9.14 For 100m Into 1.0m/s (Last 100 Of 14.90 150)
- Jonnie Peacock Wins Paralympic Sprint
- Kenya: Jeremiah Mutai Runs 1:43.9 At Altitude At Kenyan Police Champs, Augustine Choge 3:37 *Day 1 Recap
- Other: Canada's Brianne Theisen And Damian Warner Win Heptathlon And Decathlon At Famous Hypo Meeting In Gotzis, Austria
- *Register-Guard Article On The Former Duck/Ashton Eaton's Fiance Theisen And Her Win
- IAAF Recap Throwing Meet In Halle, Germany: Dilshod Nazarov Sets Hammer World Lead At 80.71m
Police Investigation Into Oscar P Murder Trial Won't Be Completed Until August His June 4th court appearance is expected to only take 10 minutes and be nothing more than a postponement.
Other US News
- U.S. Cross-Country Championships Return To Boulder In 2014 And 2015 Boulder last hosted the event in 2007, when Deena Kastor and Alan Culpepper took the open victories, and Elliott Heath and Jordan Hasay won the junior titles.
- Thousands Run The Final Mile Of The Boston Marathon To Honor Bombing Victims And Emergency Workers
Previous Regional News
- LRC Absolute Stunner Oregon Senior Jordan Hasay Fails To Advance To NCAA Finals In 10,000
MB: Jordan Hasay 10k - did she not make it??
MB: NCAA WEST DELAYED
MB:NCAA REGIONALS ARE NOT RIGHT!
MB: A little perspective on the Austin heat (and how it's not bad)
MB: Day 1 of 2013 NCAA Preliminary Rounds - What happened big? Anything stunning?
MB: NCAA D1 Top Men Eliminated after Thursday Results
*Register-Guard: Before Hasay's Disaster, Oregon Was Having A Great Day
World Champ Trying To Get Back, Olympic Champ Diversifying?
- Olympic LJ Champ Greg Rutherford Looking Forward To Getting A Chance To Race In The 100 At The Pre Classic He says he'd like to go to the World Champs in both the LJ and 100. His PR is only 10.26 from 2010, so he'd need to at least get the "A" of 10.15 and then beat the other Brits.
- Dai Greene Optimistic About Chances At Defending His World Title After Coming Back From Hip Surgery In March He might compete at the Rome DL meet as his season opener.
- Not A Stunner, But Big News: 2009 World Steeple Champ Marta Dominguez Reportedly Has Abnormalities In Her Biological Passport We're not sure if there's ever been someone more linked to doping but never officially caught.
- 10 Important Tips For Running A Beer Mile From New World Record Holder Josh Harris (5:04.9)
- 2004 Athens Olympics Women's Marathon Gold Medalist Mizuki Noguchi Leaves For Altitude Training In Boulder - Says Goal Iis 2016 Olympics
- Former UF Star Genevieve LaCaze Named To Aussie Worlds Team After 9:37 PR In Puerto Rico
- Aussie Writer Tired Of Pacemakers: "Seeing five Africans run 3:32 for 1,500m every week has become tiresome."
- Kenya Releases Provisional Moscow Marathon List Of 12
- Geoffrey Mutai, Wilson Kipsang, Geoffrey Kipsang, W. Chebet And Sammy Kitwara To Race 10k At Kenya Police Service Athletics Championships This Week
- Recap Of Thursday's Kenya Teachers Colleges Competition
- Recap Of Penultimate Day Of The 18th Arab Athletics Championships In Doha
- Athletes Ready For Saturday's BT Great CityGames In Manchester
- Paralympic Star Jonnie Peacock Happy Back In Britain As He Hated Living I The U-S-A "The less time I spend over there the better. ... You have to drive two days to find places. By the end I was counting down the days to leave."
- Mo Farah Looking For 5th Straight Bupa London 10,000 Title On Monday
- Paralympian Jonnie Peacock Looks Forward To Manchester's BT Great CityGames -Video
- Dwain Chambers: "Even my kids talk about Usain more than me - I just ask them not to forget their old dad now and again."
Next Weekend's Pre Men's Mile Will Have It All
Better Than The Olympics: 2013 Bowerman Mile At Pre Classic Will Feature A Totally Incredible Field You can't get a mile field better than this as it features Makhloufi vs. Kiprop plus all of the other London finallists plus all of the world top 10 from 2012.
*MB: Return of the Makh - Bowerman Mile startlist
*MB: Makhloufi Running Bowerman Mile at Pre Classic
More News Of Note From Oregon:
Oregon's Elijah Greer Has Jettisoned The Self Doubt And Is Making A Statement
Al Sal Says He Wants Mary Cain To Get 5,000 "A" In Case She's Sick Or Gets Tripped In 1,500
Oregon's Chris Brewer Speaks For 1st Time About Crash That Nearly Killed Him & Molly Grabill Brewer was on Oregon's 4 x 1 mile team at Penn. Grabill has missed the only season recovering from the horrific crash.
Kara Goucher's Next Race Will Be 10,000 At US Trials
- Maybe All Those Feel-Good Olympic Stories Aren't A Coincidence? Study Finds That Past Adversity In Life Might Make You A Better/Tougher Runner Today The study found that being exposed to stresses in your life "toughens you up" and lets you better deal with pain while competing.
- Study Looks At How Exercise Affects Sleep, And Vice Versa They found that morning workouts result in fewer wakings during the night compared to afternoon or evening runs.
(In Case You Missed It Over the Weekend) Week #2 Of IAAF Season Is In The Books *Full Results *LRC Shanghai Photo Gallery (Videos In Race Recap Below) (Non-LRC Coverage Further Down Page)
LRC 2013 Shanghai Recap: Asbel Kiprop Pulls Off A Houdini Act, Do We Have A New King & Queen In The Men's Steeple And
Women's 5,000? Asbel Kiprop amazed, a new phenom emerged in the men's steeple and perhaps as well in the women's 5,000 & Francine Niyonsaba
dominated the women's 800. Plus lots of great sprint/field action with Kirani James, Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce, Jason Richardson, and Chinese hero, jumper Jinzhe Li.
*IAAF Full Meet Recap
LRC Shanghai Photo Gallery
MB: Official 2013 Shanghai Diamond League Discussion Thread
Sunday Road Results: Ryan Hall 2nd At Bay To Breakers
- Bay To Breakers: Tolossa Fufi Wins, Ryan Hall 2nd In First Race Since Olympics Hall was pleased to be healthy again. Diane Nukuri Johnson won the women's race.
*More: Best Bay To Breakers Costumers
*MB Thread On Hall's Run
- 16-Year-Old Marathon Debut: 16-Year-Old Alana Hadley Runs 2:58 In Marathon Debut Hadley's debut at such a young age got her a front page story in the NY Times sports section today.
- Japan: WR Holder Zersenay Tadese Takes Down Martin Mathathi At Gifu Seiryu Half Tadese ran 1:00:31 to Mathathi's 1:00:54. Ryan Vail was 10th (1:04:52) and Yuki Kawauchi, a week after running back-to-back half marathons, struggled in 14th place (1:05:05). Mestawet Tufa won the women's race in 1:10:03. *IAAF Recap
- Brooklyn: Kim Smith Wins Brooklyn Half In CR 1:11:24 Tesfaye Girma won the men's race in 1:06:03. *Full Results
- Still Not As Good As Kawauchi: Kenya's Duncan Koech Wins Nordea Riga Marathon In 2:15:35 3 Weeks After Running 2:09:10 For 3rd In Prague Ethiopia's Aberash Nesga won the women's race in 2:40:31.
- Isabella Ochichi Continues Her Comeback, Winning Sweden Half Marathon In Hot Conditions In 1:11:29 (Results Only) Jackson Kiprop won the men's race in 1:03:13.
- Further Proof Race Walking Is Not A Sport We Cover: Russian Race Walking Duo Try To Tie By Crossing The Line Holding Hands But Fail Due To Electronic Timing
- Jeromy Andreas And Lebo Phalula Win SA Road 10k Titles
News From Kenya (A Deceased Phenom In The News)
Anniversary Of Sammy Wanjiru's Tragic Death Passes - Mausoleum In His Honour Was Unveiled As His Lawyer Claims Agent Federico Rosa Has Stolen Money
Patrick Makau (2931) Loses To Peter Kirui (2915) At Administration Police Championships
2 Reviews & 1 Book Excerpt From John McDonnell: The Most Successful NCAA Coach In History
LRC Book Review By Former Hog Marlon Boykins: "Two Thumbs Up:"
book is full of insight into the hard-working, team-first ethos that
made us such a successful." We had two people review the book, including the 1:47 man Boykins, who was at Arkansas at the pinnacle of its heyday. "It was a self-contained UBER-COMPETITIVE atmosphere ... the sprinters, jumpers and distance guys all trying to show which group reigned supreme ..."
Book Excerpt The Legendary Story Of The 1989 Penn Relays DMR, Where 4 Kids From Arkansas, Texas And Missouri Beat 4 African Olympians And The Olympic 1,500m Champ The 1989 Mount St. Mary's Penn Relays DMR team featured 4 African Olympians, including 1988 Olympic 1,500m champ Peter Rono. John McDonnell's Arkansas squad featured 4 kids from Texas, Missouri and Arkansas. A legendary motivational speech by McDonnell and Joe Falcon on the anchor made for one of the great upsets in Penn Relays history. Read all about it in this excerpt from the new John McDonnell biography.
LRC Review #2 John McDonnell D2 Coach Torrey Olson We had Olson, who has an MFA in creative writing, give his take. "It's got a lot to offer anyone interested in an incredibly sustained passion for the both the sport and the profession."
Pre Classic Saturday *Schedule/Entries/Streaming/TV Info (Friday Live Stream Starting At 10PM ET, Saturday Live On NBC) *LRC Fri Preview *LRC Sat. Preview
LRC A Fan's Guide To Saturday's Action At the 2013 Pre Classic - A Mid-d and Distance Fans Dream Day Even with David Rudisha's pull-out, Saturday is truly an incredible day for mid-d and distance fans as the seven
mid-d/distance events at Pre are totally loaded - so loaded the men's steeple and men's 1,500 are seemingly better than an Olympic final. Plus Mary Cain goes for history at 800, Rupp vs. Farah at 5k and a whole lot more. Our only gripe - we wish Ajee' Wilson was in and a Russian urine cheat was out. We're so impressed we spend 4,500+ words previewing 7 events.
*Thoughts/Quotes From Aussies Ryan Gregson (Bowerman Mile) And Collis Birmingham (5000) Ahead Of Pre
*Kirani James And LaShawn Merritt Will Renew Rivalry In Eugene
*Collegiate Star Erik Kynard Will Be In Pre HJ Less Than A Week Before NCAA's So will IU's Derek Drouin.
*LJ Has The Last Three Olympic Champions In Greg Rutherford (2012), Irving Saladino (2008) And US's Dwight Phillips (2004) Also Olympic silver medalist Mitchel Watt. Women's TJ has Olympic silver and bronze winners in Caterina Ibarguen and Olha Saladukha.
*NZ SP Olympic Champ Valerie Adams Opening Her Season Random stat: She hasn't been beaten (legitimately)in competition for more than three years. We'd say a good pick for your DL fantasy team.
*MB: Rupp Running for American Record - Ran 3 Sets of (1600, 1200, 800, 400)
Other Weekend Action: Meb And Deena Running In San Diego
- Tomorrow: IAAF Preview Freihofer’s Run for Women 5K In Albany, NY: 2-Time Defending Champ Mamitu Daska Faces World XC Champ Emily Chebet They'll also face NYC Half runner-up Diane Nukuri-Johnson, Ethiopian steeple NR holder Zemzem Ahmed, 2013 Dubai Marathon third-placer Amane Gobena, Houston Marathon champ Merima Mohammed, 2004 Olympic 5000m silver medallist
Isabella Ochichi, and 2012 10k Olympian at 10,000m Joyce Chepkirui.
- Sunday: Deena Kastor Faces Edna Kiplagat And Firehiwot Dado At Sunday's Rock 'N" Roll San Diego Half The men's field has Meb Keflezighi who faces three sub-1:01 Kenyans including Eliud Kipchoge
- Zola Budd Pulls Out Of Sunday's Comrades Marathon With Illness
- June 8: UK Name Their Team For June 8th European Cup 10,000m
*Full List Of Final Entries
- AK Names "Probable" List For 2013 World Championships There will be the usual debates/issues with Kenyan pre-championship camps as they want all their athletes there on June 2nd, but most are racing/training around the globe and that will never happen, but they will get angry about it anyway.
- Look At Names On AK Provisional List For Moscow 2013: Include Rudisha, Ezikiel Kemboi, Asbel Kiprop And Wilson Kiprop (10k)
- Kip Keino Re-elected As President Of Kenya's Olympic Committee (NOCK) Despite Facing Criticism Over 2012 Olympic Performance Paul Tergat was also re-elected to his position as athletes' representative.
- Athletics Kenya President Isaiah Kiplagat Was Crushed In The Election For NOCK Vice-President By Kenya Swimming Federation Chairman He was pretty angry and said, "This is all tribal ... They are also afraid of me because I question everything and they have never wanted me there in the first case."
- Kenyan Opinion Piece: Why NOCK Team Were Bound To Retain Seats "Intrigues, back-stabbing, horse trading and a whiff of blackmail are some of the highlights of the high stakes National Olympic Committee of Kenya polls."
Pros In The News: Caster Semenya Might Not Race In 2013, Japanese Marathoner Tests Positive
- Caster Semenya Might Not Race This Season As She's Not At 100% Fitness After Coming Back From A Knee Injury Her Coach Maria Mutola says contrary to the SASCOC statement (which said her funding was cut because she wasn't training) Mutola says she has been training, but says they are "a little bit behind."
- Japanese Marathoner Kaori Yoshida (4th Place In December's Honolulu Marathon) Gets 1-Year Doping Ban For Testing Positive For EPO She only got a 1-year ban because she supposedly took it by accident after receiving medication from a doctor for anemia.
- IAAF Profile On Canadian Multieventers Damian Warner And Brianne Theisen Who Won Last Saturday At The Hypo Meet In Gotzis Theisen got the upset win last week in a field that included Russia's reigning world champion Tatyana Chernova.
- Running Times Interview With US Road Mile Champ Kate Grace Reflecting On Lessons Learned In Her First Year As A Pro
- Michael Tinsley Named USATF Athlete Of The Week For Winning adidas GP 400H
IOC News: Track Gets Less Money, Wrestling Still Has A Chance
- Track Will Get A Smaller Share Of The Olympic Revenue From The IOC For The 2016 A Olympics As Swimming And Gymnastics Get A Larger Cut
*Olympic Revenue Distribution By Sport
- Wrestling, Baseball/Softball And Squash Shortlisted By IOC For Inclusion Into The 2020 Olympics A final decision will be made in a full membership vote in September. Karate, roller sports, sport climbing, wakeboarding and the Chinese martial art of wushu were eliminated yesterday.
Haile G's WR Track In Gengelo To Be Destroyed *Sign Petition To Save It (You Will Have To Confirm Your Signature Via Email)
- Dutch Track For The Fanny Blankers-Koen (FBK) Games Could Be No More As Officials Are Planning On Tearing Up The Stadium's Track And Turning It Into A Soccer Pitch This meet/stadium has been host to some historical track performances, including 4 world records by Haile Gebrselassie (at 5k, 2 miles and twice in the 10k) and Kenenisa Bekele's current 5K WR from 2004 (12.37.35).
- Haile G Tweets: "Don't throw away my World Record track! @FBKGames" *2nd Tweet
- Sign The Petition To Save FBK Stadium In Hengelo Dutch article here and here.
Not Your Everyday T&F News
- You Can Buy Meb's House: Meb Keflezighi's House In Mammoth Lakes Is For Sale
- Father Sues NJ High School For $40 Million After His Son Was Kicked Off The Track Team For Missing Too Many Practices
*MB: Father sues for 40 million after son is dropped from track team
- Jenn Suhr Will Pole Vault On Golf Course On Friday In New York
- From Olympic Champ To Sponsorless: Olympic LJ Champ Greg Rutherford Loses Shoe Contract With Nike
- Pole Vault WR Holder And Current IAAF Vice President Sergei Pubka Will Run For IOC President
- President Of Madrid's 2020 Olympic Bid Says Those Involved In Operation Puerto Doping Scandal "Will Pay For Their Actions" Not if the judges order to destroy all the blood bags connected to the case is carried through. If that happens, many doping athletes will get away scot free.
- WSJ: Will Wrestling Remain Part Of The Olympics? IOC Votes Today It's up against karate, roller sports, wake-boarding, baseball/softball, squash and the Chinese martial art wushu.
- Wrestling Wins 42.2% Of InsideTheGames Poll Asking Public To Vote For The Sport They Think Should Be Included For 2020
2013 Bolder Boulder *Results & Mile-By-Mile Splits
- Daily Camera: Allan Kiprono Wins Men's Pro Race, Kenya Ends Ethiopia's Men's Team Streak Kenya edged Ethiopia by 1 in the men's team competition. Aaron Braun (30:29) was top American in 9th with Brent Vaughn in 10th.
- Ethiopia's Merima Mohammed Wins Women's Elite Race Ethiopia won the women's for the 5th straight year.
- Denver Post: Deena Kastor Finishes Fourth At 2013 Bolder Boulder 10K
- MB: 2013 Bolder Boulder attracts less than 50,000 runners for 1st time since 2006 - organizers blame Boston Marathon bombing
- AP Recap Of 2013 Bolder Boulder
More Weekend Results
- We Hope WADA Was There Yekaterina Kupina Runs First Sub-2 Of Year (1:59.72) In Russia 2008 dopers Svetlana Cherkasova and Yelena Soboleva were 2nd and 3rd in 2:00.
- 18-Year-Old Jamaican Javon Francis Runs 45.42 At Jamaican All-Comers Meet
- Thousands Run Final Mile Of Boston Marathon As OneRun Honors Victims And Emergency Workers
- Press Release on Boston's 'Run to Remember'
Dave Johnson's Updated 2013 USA Champs Form Chart He's got Derrick over Ritz for #3 at 10k.
Road Action: Dibaba Dominates, Kisorio Over Kipsang And Haile G, Ryan Hall On The Comeback
- Manchester (Non-Distance Coverage Further Down): Tirunesh Dibaba Wins Bupa Great Manchester Run 10k In 30:49 CR Going Out In 15:40 And Coming Back In 15:09 The men's race came down to a kick with Uganda's Moses Kipsiro edging out Wilson Kipsang 27:52 to 27:53 as Haile Gebrselassie was 3rd in 28:00 (breaking the over-40 World Best by almost a minute).
*SA's Stephen Mokoka Finishes 4th In In PR 28:12
*Japan's Sub-2:10 Marathoners Suehiro Ishikawa and Masakazu Fujiwara Crack The Top 10
- Costa Rica: Ryan Hall Wins Costa Rica Half In 1:04:09 (article in Spanish) Not bad considering the race was at 4,000 ft. elevation and according to Sara Hall's tweet, only off 6 weeks of training. *Full Results
*MB: Ryan Hall PRs at 3K? (en route in a HM)
- G. Mutai Loses In Ottawa: Morocco's El Hassan El Abassi Beats 10k World Leader Adugna Tekele Bikila And Geoffrey Mutai To Win Ottawa 10k In 27:37 In his first race since dropping out of London with injury, Mutai led from the start until the last 200m, but was outkicked as he ran 27:39 for 3rd and Bikila took 2nd (27:38). Morocco's Malika Asahssah won the women's race in 31:46 over Firehiwot Dado (31:49).
- Tariku Jufar Sets Ottawa Marathon CR In Cold/Windy Conditions With 2:08:05 As Pacemaker Luka Rotich Stays In And Takes 2nd In 2:08:12 It was Rotich's "impromptu" debut and he kept leading for Jufar up until 35k even though he wasn't obligated to do so.
- 5 In 23 Days: Yuki Kawauchi Wins Kurobe Meisui Half Marathon In CR 1:03:58 In Very Hot Conditions This was his 5th half marathon in the last 23 days and now he'll run another full marathon on June 2nd at the Chitose JAL Marathon.
- Ethiopia's Tola Lema And Kenya's Risper Kiamiyo Win Edinburgh Marathon In 2:15:32 And 2:35:58
NYC adidas Grand Prix *Results *LRC Winners Photo Gallery *LRC Post-Race Video Interviews
*Results *IAAF Recap *RRW
LRC Non-Distance Action: Blanka Vlasic Returns With A Win, Tyson Gay Wins Again As Does Jenn Suhr, Favorites Christian Taylor And Brittney Reese Struggle Amantle Montsho somehow went sub-50 in terrible conditions.
LRC Women's 1,500: Aregawi Wins Easily As Expected; The Americans Miss The "A" As Morgan Uceny Improves Step in the right direction for Uceny and Rowbury.
LRC Women's Steeple: Lidya Chepkurui Gets Her Second DL Victory, Bridget Franek Impresses (link now fixed)
LRC Winners Photo Gallery
*Recommended Read: Blanka Vlasic Says "I Haven't Forgotten How To Jump" After Win And Talks About The Dark Places She Went To During Her 20 On her injury: "I've gone to some dark places before, but this was the worst because I was forced to live a life that wasn't used to."
*Vlasic: "I'm not a phantom. I''m here and I'm back." She jumped through a lot of pain, but said she is "just happy I'm not home watching on TV any more." Props to her for making her comeback in less than ideal conditions unlike some other pros who skipped out due to the rain/cold (see below).
*Phillips Idowu Will Now Make Comeback At Rome DL Meet June 6th After Withdrawing From adidas GP Because He Didn't Want To Jump In The Wet Conditions It's a good thing he lives in the UK where it never rains. But what happens if it rains at the World Championships?
*Sanya Richards-Ross Doesn't Run - She Pulled Out Because Her "Foot Wasn't Feeling Strong"
*Blanka Vlasic Wins In First Competition In 20+ Months
*US Quotes From NYC adidas GP
LRC Post-Race Interviews:
Women: *Morgan Uceny *Bridget Franek *Kate Grace *Ashley Higginson
adidas GP On The Boards:
MB: Official 2013 adidas Grand Prix New York Thread
*BEN SAAREL 4:02.78!!!
*What really happened when Sowinsky fell
*Wariner's Back Baby!!!
*Just saw Leo Manzano in NY hotel lobby, he's been added to adidas GP 800 as has Brannen, Rutt and Lalang
*How Good Does Leroy Burrell's Son Get?
*The LetsRun.com Guarantee - No Sub-4 mile on Saturday. If there is a sub-4, we'll pay you $1,000.
- UK News: Usain Bolt And Mo Farah Will Almost Certainly Compete At 2014 Commonwealth Games Now That Virgin Media Is A Sponsor
- Usain Bolt Doing His Best To Keep Intimidating His New 19-Year-Old Training Partner Delano Williams, Who Almost Beat His Boys & Girls 200m Record ( 20.25)
- Zero Chance: Olympic Long Jump Champ Greg Rutherford Says London Anniversary Meet Might End Up Being Better Than Olympics
- Canadians Damian Warner And Brianne Theisen Lead Combined Events Challenge After Day 1 *Results
adidas GP: Pre-Race
LRC Coach Brother Colm O'Connell Talks On David Rudisha's Past, Present & Future And Greatness The coach of David Rudisha is taking a rare trip abroad to watch Rudisha compete. LRC talked to him about Rudisha past, present and future (he's running a 1,000m this year).
More: Ben True Is Confident And Says He Thinks He Can Definitely Get Sub-13 Eventually "Going to USAs [the 2012 Olympic Trials], people kind of already had in their mind an idea of who's going to make the team. I think that got in my head a little bit too much/ This year, that's not there. I have the confidence to be able to run with anybody."
*Blanka Vlasic Is Psyched To Finally Be Competing Again "I just can't wait. I can't wait to feel that pre-competition nervousness, the positive excitement, to be the part of that circuit again. I don't want to expect anything. But I still have my hopes."David Rudisha's Agent Says They Turn Down A Lot Of Lucrative Offers And Chance To Make Some Quick Cash To Focus On Training Rudisha: "I just want to run. I want to run the perfect race."
What Are We Supposed To Do About It? Running Shoes Have Large Carbon Footprint - 100-Watt Lightbulb On For One Week
Not Your Everyday Track & Field Links
- Sanya Richards-Ross And NFL Hubby Aaron Have Filmed Reality TV Show - Glam & Gold, Which Will Air On WETV In July, Chronicles Her Fast-Paced Life
- Cool: Author Of Running With The Kenyans Uses Crowdfunder To Raise £1,500 To Bring A Kenyan Talked About In His Book To Europe To Race Japhet Koech has trained every day for 5 years and never earned a penny.
(In Case You Missed It Over the Weekend) Occidental *LRC Oxy Recap *LRC 2013 Oxy Photos *OXY HP Live Thread
LRC Oxy Recap Mary Cain 4:04.62! Is Now Nearly 10 Seconds Faster Than Any Other American High Schooler
High school junior Mary Cain ran 4:04.62 for 2nd place to Katie Mackay to smash the American high school record. Cain is now nearly 10 seconds faster than any other American high schooler ever, and would be the #2 collegian of all time. Will Leer won the stacked 1,500m, but not officially, no men hit the "A" standard in the 1,500 or 5k, and Jenny Simpson PRed and Treniere Mosier impressed. Plus Webb,
and Solinsky in the 5k. *2013 Oxy Photo Gallery
*Post-Race Video Interview With Cain
*IAAF Recap: "Mo Farah Upstaged By US Prodigy Mary Cain"
Oxy On The Boards:
- MARY CAIN 4:04.62 IAAF A STANDARD!! *OXY HP Live Thread *Nick Symmonds wins OxyHP *Ritz looked great tonight *Bottom line: How many "A" Standard did Oxy Accomplish? *Prediction Of Day: Mary Cain will run under 4:06 tonight *Webb at oxy... Very concerning... I love the guy but what's happening to his career?!
Non-Oxy/Shanghai Track Results: Asafa Powell Injured Again
- Asafa Powell Pulls Up Injured Again During 100m At JAAA All-Comers Meet In Kingston (Includes Video) He pulled up about 50m into the race, hurting the same hamstring that gave him problems in Australia.
- Ponce, Puerto Rico: Dutch Over Culson, Ajee Wilson, Jeff Demps Win (updated with article) Johnny Dutch beat Puerto Rico's own Javier Culson in a world-leading 48.02. In other action, junior phenom Ajee Wilson won the 800, NFL player Jeff Demps won the 100m in 10.27, Erik Sowinski and Genevieve LaCaze won, as did friend of LRC Jeff Coover. *Full Results
- Atlanta: Lolo Jones Happy With Her 100H Win In 12.74 Over Queen Harrison At Atlanta Grand Prix Jeremy Wariner was 2nd in the 400 in 45.39, losing by .02 to GB's Michael Bingham. Trey Hardee beat Ashton Eaton in the SP and US's Terea Brown won the 400H (55.13). *Full Results
- Brit Junior Jessica Judd Runs 2:00.71 To Win Loughborough 800 Olympic 1,500 finalist Lisa Dobriskey won the 3k in 9:03, Perri Shakes-Drayton the 400 in 50.98, Rhys Williams ran top 2013 European 400H time in 48.90 for the win.
- Fast 10ks In Japan: 2011 World XC Silver Medalist Paul Tanui Runs World-Leading 27:21 At Kyushu Region Champs At the East Japan Corporate Champs, London 10,000 5th-placer Bedan Karoki ran the 2nd-fastest time in 2013 in 27:30.
- Kenyan Enock Omwamba Wins 1,500-10,000 Double At Kanto Regional University Championships In Japan He ran 3:39 and 28:15.
- Brad Walker Gets PV World Lead (5.83m) At Low-Key Setting In Phoenix Includes video.
- Weekend HS Coverage: Wesley Frazier Wins 3 North Carolina State Titles In 3,200 (10:00), 1,600 (4:49) And 800 (2:14) At Utah state champs, Ben Saarel won the 1,600m in a state record 4:07 (beating Luke Puskedra's record) and the 800 in a state record 1:51.13. Jason Hartmann-coached Elise Cranny won Colorado state titles in the 3,200/1,600/800.
- Former Throws WR Holder Mac Wilkins Has Been Developing A Post-Collegiate Throws Group In Oregon His athlete Liz Podominick hit the "A" in the discus.
- Discus Olympic Champ Robert Harting Opens His Season With 68.31m WL In Germany He also set the record for most days undefeated with 1,003 days.
Two Recommended Reads
Recommended Read: Religion Blog: What Truths Does Iconic Image Of Boston Marathon Truly Capture? "Just as Jews pray to celebrate Passover 'next year in Jerusalem' and Muslims pledge to visit Mecca, marathoners want to 'run
*More Boston: Runners Start An Online Petition To Grant A Spot In The 2014 Boston Marathon To The 5,700 Runners Who Were Stopped Before They Could Finish More than 21,000 have signed; the BAA say they haven't made a decision yet.
RR#2: John Mayer: Western State's Ian Butler On Remarkable Run In Life's Goal To Succeed The D2 All-American suffered two brain injuries as a kid and has had people tell him he's retarded and the memory of a goldfish. Hanging out with the wrong crowd in 9th grade, he's now of track to be a college grad.
Interesting Reads From Africa
- 2-Year Anniversay Of Sammy Wanjiru's Death Is Wed., May 15th, And Fuller Picture Of His Downfall Is Emerging
The Virgin London Marathon - The World's Most Competitive *Top Results LRC: Photo Gallery
Women's Race: LRC Priscah Jeptoo Finishes First In Women's London Marathon Marred By Wheelchair Collision Jeptoo was very
over the second half, but the race was marred by the fact that Olympic champ Tiki Gelana was wiped out from behind in a horrific collision with a wheelchair racer.
*Top Results LRC: Photo Gallery
More London: *Video Of Wheelchair Collision
Good News: Wheelchair Racers May Start Before Professional Women Next Year
*Josh Cassidy (Wheelchair Racer Who Hit Gelana): "One of these years a woman is going to have a leg broken, a career ruined."
*London Honors The Victims In Boston
*Some Are Selling Boston Memorabilia On EBay And Giving Proceeds To Charity
Recommended Read: Paula Radcliffe And Her Husband Reflect On Her 2:15:25 Marathon WR, Which She Ran At London 10 Years Ago
International Pro News
- Mixed Messages From Caster Semenya And Her Coach: I'm back in training. I just need a couple of weeks to qualify. It's my dream to win my title back. That is what I'm planning with the coach." Meanwhile her coach Maria Mutola said, "We might have to call off the season ... We have to consider if she can run good times."
- Haile Gebrselassie Says Now That He's Over 40 He Doesn't Do Speedwork Anymore As IT Makes Him Too Tired He's excited about breaking masters records saying, “Every race after this, it’s possible to break a masters record because the times are not superfast.”
- St. Kitts and Nevis Top Sprinter Tameka Williams Gets 3-Year Drug Ban Williams was pulled from her Olympic team last year after admitting to substance use.
Study Finds No Difference In Efficiency Between Rearfoot And Forefoot Strike It even went as far as to say, "running with a [rearfoot] pattern might confer benefits."
Week In Review
LRC Desisa's Classy Move, Ben True Battles Jeilan, Manzano And Andrews Update, Natoye Goule Dominates, And Discus Love The adidas GP is in the books. We look back at the runs of Ben True, Leo Manzano and Robby Andrews. We've got some high jump and discus love, and of course some praise for ourselves and Natoye Goule. Plus, who the hell is El Hassan El Abassi? and the cursed Swarthmore meet.
Oregon Project News: Will Hasay Be Coached By Salazar?
- Recommended Read: How Alberto Salazar's Unlikely Quest To Reintroduce America's Long Distance Runners To The Podium Is Beginning To Show Results Salazar after the 2001 Boston Marathon: "Then the commentators started gushing about an American taking sixth place. We started talking - How can we be so bad? How can American distance runners be so bad that we're excited about sixth place?"
- Alberto Salazar Says He Hopes Jordan Hasay Joins Oregon Project After This NCAA Season Salazar: "I'm hopeful, I would say that. But she would have to sign a contract with Nike first."
*MB: Salazar "very interested" in Hasay
LRC Mark Wetmore Is Going To Be A Very Happy Man: Ben Saarel Is A Special Talent LetsRun.com co-founder Robert Johnson goes all out in his praise of Saarel, who closed in 55 to win the boys HS mile in NY in 4:02, as despite that speed, he's a 5k/10k guy. Unreal. Can you say sub-13:00 for 5,000 down the road?
RIP Former OSU Coach Berny Wagner
- Former OSU Track And Field Head Coach Berny Wagner Passes Away At Age 88 Current coach Kelly Sullivan: "To say that Berny had an everlasting effect on thousands upon thousands would be an understatement ... the existence of OSU track and field ... would not be a reality without Berny and the legacy that he, his athletes and staff left during their time here at Oregon State."
- USATF Release On Wagner, Who Coached Dick Fosbury
- TrackFocus: "Wagner was one of the unwavering people who believed that T&F could return to Oregon State. Thankfully, he lived to see it happen."
2013 NCAAs Are Next Week
- Post-Regional DI Rankings: Texas A&M Men And Kansas Women Enter NCAA Finals As #1 For the men, last week's #1 Florida moved down to 4th while Arkansas moved up from 4th to 2nd.
- 2013 NCAA Outdoor Track And Field Competitors Released
- SEC Leads NCAA Entries By A Ton - 14.6 Per Sschool - Next Best Is Big 10 At 10.8
- Interesting: Ivy League Had Most Distance Runners Per School At Regionals
- Stanford's Steve Solomon, Who Was An Olympic 400 Finalist Last Year In HS, Only Advances On Time
Updated: Now 160+ Photos 2013 adidas Grand Prix Winners Photo Gallery
Despite Recent Injury, 2-Time Defending World Marathon Champ Abel Kirui Included In Kenya's Provisional Team For Moscow World Champs We don't see why he wouldn't be included since he gets a free wild card spot as the defending champ. Women provisionally named include Edna Kiplagat, London Marathon winner Prisca Jeptoo and Lucy Kabuu.
Boston Marathon Champ Lelisa Desisa Gives Boston Marathon Medal Back To The City To Honor All Those Killed/Injured
Oscar Pistorius Audited And Fined For Unpaid Taxes The South African Revenue Service fined him "less than one million rand" (under $105,000).
These Are So Excellent: 2013 Bay To Breakers Photos
The Week That Was
LRC Mary Cain Rewrites The Record Books, German Fernandez & Robby Andrews Struggle, Molly Huddle Impresses, WADA Testing Alert, And Is Alan Webb Done? We offer some extra insight into last week's action at Oxy, Shanghai, Bay to Breakers (aka Ryan Hall's comeback) and more.
International News: Oscar P Won't Be Racing In 2013
- Oscar Pistorius Says He Won't Compete This Year As He Awaits Trial His agent says he received a number of invitations to meets, but is not yet mentally ready to start training and racing again.
- Good Read: UK Sprinter Dwain Chambers Training At Altitude In Chamonix, France, Where He Will Climb The 4,800m Mont Blanc At The End Of The Season For Charity He'll race against Christophe Lemaitre over 150m at Manchester City Games on Saturday.
LRC The #1 Recruit In The Land Signs With ... New Mexico? The #1 recruit in the land has decided where he'll be running next year and coach Joe Franklin is a very happy man as a result. Whom do we consider to be the top recruit???
Think The Sub-2-Hour Marathon Is On The Horizon? Think Again
LRC The Myth Of The Sub-2-Hour Marathon The mainstream media thinks it may be close but in reality most people reading this will be dead when it happens.
*Science of Sport's Ross Tucker agrees: Pacing, fatigue and the brain. Lessons from London.
*MB: Sub 2 Hour Marathon Discussion: My Thoughts and Yours
Blue Collar / Inspirational Runner Of The Week
LRC Meet Conner Paez: "Please don't cut off my leg. Please just don't amputate my leg. I can't lose my leg. I need to run." Two years ago, Conner Paez was on top of the world as a freshman at the University of Pennsylvania (8:16, 14:18). Then his life turned in a second as he was broadsided by a car while on his motor bike. The injuries were bad, very bad. He almost lost his leg, then some toes. Doctors told him he'd never compete again. What's he doing this weekend? Competing again.
Learn From The Pros
LRC Ten Training Tips From Bernard Lagat, Dathan Ritzenhein And Abdi Abdirahman The American men took center stage at the NYC Half on Thursday. You can watch video interviews with the top American men (Lagat here, Ritz here and Abdi here) and we will have more on their race preparations on Friday, but in the meantime we compiled ten training tips from Bernard, Dathan, and Abdi that you can use in your own training.