Quote Of The Day
“I know I ran against druggies. I know I ran against guys that took drugs because I had a few of them approach me and even admitted to me that they were taking it. They had asked me to take it. They said, Johnny, you should take it. We want you to take it because you’ll be the first man to break 1:40. And I thought about it, I’m not gonna lie. Because I would run with some of them guys that I knew were dirty and would beat me and I would get upset. And I would tell my coach, I’d say, ‘Coach, if they’re taking it, I’m [going to] cheat too because I’m tired of losing to ’em and them cheating and not getting caught. I’m [going to] cheat too.'”
“And my coach said something to me that stuck with me. He said, ‘Johnny, you’re running 1:42 clean. They have to take drugs to run with you.’ And when he said that, that registered to me that, hey, you know what? You’re right, coach. I would hate to take something, get caught and then taint all the stuff that I did naturally.”
– Johnny Gray talking to LRC in a no-holds-barred interview. Gray picked up the sport as an 11th grader and ran 2:17 but for the last 32-years he’s been the holder of the American record in the 800 at 1:42.60 – the longest-standing track mark in the US.
- Utah State Meet - 33 under 16:00, 3 under 15:00 at 4,260'
- What do you talk about on runs with your friends/teammates?
- Damn Jerry Schumacher's marathoners suck
- Is Johnny Gray's American Record run the fastest negative-split 800m of all time?
- Is it common to do all of your running alone?
- How much should a competitive marathoner weigh?
- Best small schools at cross country?
- worst big city marathon
- Is there any point to "Lost Cat" signs?
- New user/post system troubleshooting thread