adidas GP Men's Distance Recap (Rest of Meet In Middle Column) *Results *LRC Winners Photo Gallery
LRC Men's 800 Even Rain Can't Stop David Rudisha; A Fall Robs Erik Sowinski Of Another Great Finish David
Rudisha won as expected and Erik Sowsinki's good form continued as Robby Andrews still is searching for the breakthrough.
Recommended Read: NY Times Writes Feature on Colm O'Connell and David Rudisha: Improbably, Missionary’s Work Is to Mentor Kenyan Stars
*Brit Andrew Osagie wins race for 2nd behind Rudisha in 800m
LRC Men's 5k Hagos Gebrhiwet Establishes Himself As Mo Farah's Biggest Rival, Ben True Runs Well American Ben True's fine 2013 continued with a 4th place finish ahead of Dejene Gebremskel.
*RRW Distance Recap: Rudisha Cruises Despite Conditions, Gebrhiwet, Aregawi, Frazier and Saarel Win
HS on the boards: BEN SAAREL 4:02.78!!!
LRC Post Race Interviews: Men: *David Rudisha*Leo Manzano (talks about no Nike deal) *Ben True *Robby Andrews (might run 800 at USAs) *Erik Sowinsky After Fall *Ibrahim Jeilan
HS: *Ben Saarel Dream Mile Winner *Bernie Montoya *Andres Arroyo
Regionals *NCAA D1 Regionals Declarations/Start Lists/Results *DII Results/Stream *DIII Results/Stream
- LRC Absolute Stunner Oregon Senior Jordan Hasay Fails To Advance To NCAA Finals In 10,000
MB: Jordan Hasay 10k - did she not make it??
MB: NCAA WEST DELAYED
MB:NCAA REGIONALS ARE NOT RIGHT!
MB: A little perspective on the Austin heat (and how it's not bad)
MB: Day 1 of 2013 NCAA Preliminary Rounds - What happened big? Anything stunning?
MB: NCAA D1 Top Men Eliminated after Thursday Results
*Register-Guard: Before Hasay's Disaster, Oregon Was Having A Great Day
Other Weekend Action: Haile Gebrselassie Vs. Wilson Kipsang Highlights Sunday's Bupa Great Manchester Run They will also face Uganda's Moses Kipsiro, SA's Stephen Mokoka and Ukraine's Serhiy Lebid. Tirunesh Dibaba is the star of the women's field. Geb has talked about retiring in the past, but here he talks about continuing on and running World records for "age categories of 40, 45, 50." Say goodbye to every Masters record on the books.
*Moscow World Championships Marathon Squad Member Masakazu Fujiwara Highlights Japanese Competing At Sunday's Great Manchester Run
- Allyson Felix: "I know I have potential in the 400m, I know that's where I'll end up." She's competing in the Manchester 150m street race.
- G. Mutai Back In Action After London Dropout: Ottawa Race Weekend Features Elite 10k And Marathon Races: Defending Champs Geoffrey Mutai And Lindsey Scherf Lead Saturday 10k Fields Scherf faces Joyce Chepkirui and Firehiwot Dado, while Mutai will race against 10k world leader (27:30) Adugna Tekele. In the marathon, CR holder Laban Moiben (2:09:12) will go for his 3rd straight victory against Tariku Jufar (won Houston in 2:06:51), Nathaniel Kipkosgei (2:06:08 PR) and Victor Kipchirchir (recent 1:00:27 half). The women are led by Sechale Delasa (2:26:27), defending champion Yeshi Esayias and Russia's Maria Konovalova (2:23:50).
- Live Stream Link For The Götzis Multis (Going On NOW)
World Champ Trying To Get Back, Olympic Champ Diversifying?
- Olympic LJ Champ Greg Rutherford Looking Forward To Getting A Chance To Race In The 100 At The Pre Classic He says he'd like to go to the World Champs in both the LJ and 100. His PR is only 10.26 from 2010, so he'd need to at least get the "A" of 10.15 and then beat the other Brits.
- Dai Greene Optimistic About Chances At Defending His World Title After Coming Back From Hip Surgery In March He might compete at the Rome DL meet as his season opener.
South Africa News
- SA National Outdoor Champs Preview
*This Article Says Caster Semenya Is Recovering From An Injury
- Oscar P Cut From SA Olympic Funding Program As He Won't Compete This Year
- Not A Stunner, But Big News: 2009 World Steeple Champ Marta Dominguez Reportedly Has Abnormalities In Her Biological Passport We're not sure if there's ever been someone more linked to doping but never officially caught.
- 10 Important Tips For Running A Beer Mile From New World Record Holder Josh Harris (5:04.9)
- 2004 Athens Olympics Women's Marathon Gold Medalist Mizuki Noguchi Leaves For Altitude Training In Boulder - Says Goal Iis 2016 Olympics
- Former UF Star Genevieve LaCaze Named To Aussie Worlds Team After 9:37 PR In Puerto Rico
- Aussie Writer Tired Of Pacemakers: "Seeing five Africans run 3:32 for 1,500m every week has become tiresome."
- Kenya Releases Provisional Moscow Marathon List Of 12
- Geoffrey Mutai, Wilson Kipsang, Geoffrey Kipsang, W. Chebet And Sammy Kitwara To Race 10k At Kenya Police Service Athletics Championships This Week
- Recap Of Thursday's Kenya Teachers Colleges Competition
- Recap Of Penultimate Day Of The 18th Arab Athletics Championships In Doha
- Athletes Ready For Saturday's BT Great CityGames In Manchester
- Paralympic Star Jonnie Peacock Happy Back In Britain As He Hated Living I The U-S-A "The less time I spend over there the better. ... You have to drive two days to find places. By the end I was counting down the days to leave."
- Mo Farah Looking For 5th Straight Bupa London 10,000 Title On Monday
- Paralympian Jonnie Peacock Looks Forward To Manchester's BT Great CityGames -Video
- Dwain Chambers: "Even my kids talk about Usain more than me - I just ask them not to forget their old dad now and again."
Next Weekend's Pre Men's Mile Will Have It All
Better Than The Olympics: 2013 Bowerman Mile At Pre Classic Will Feature A Totally Incredible Field You can't get a mile field better than this as it features Makhloufi vs. Kiprop plus all of the other London finallists plus all of the world top 10 from 2012.
*MB: Return of the Makh - Bowerman Mile startlist
*MB: Makhloufi Running Bowerman Mile at Pre Classic
More News Of Note From Oregon:
Oregon's Elijah Greer Has Jettisoned The Self Doubt And Is Making A Statement
Al Sal Says He Wants Mary Cain To Get 5,000 "A" In Case She's Sick Or Gets Tripped In 1,500
Oregon's Chris Brewer Speaks For 1st Time About Crash That Nearly Killed Him & Molly Grabill Brewer was on Oregon's 4 x 1 mile team at Penn. Grabill has missed the only season recovering from the horrific crash.
Kara Goucher's Next Race Will Be 10,000 At US Trials
- Maybe All Those Feel-Good Olympic Stories Aren't A Coincidence? Study Finds That Past Adversity In Life Might Make You A Better/Tougher Runner Today The study found that being exposed to stresses in your life "toughens you up" and lets you better deal with pain while competing.
- Study Looks At How Exercise Affects Sleep, And Vice Versa They found that morning workouts result in fewer wakings during the night compared to afternoon or evening runs.
(In Case You Missed It Over the Weekend) Week #2 Of IAAF Season Is In The Books *Full Results *LRC Shanghai Photo Gallery (Videos In Race Recap Below) (Non-LRC Coverage Further Down Page)
LRC 2013 Shanghai Recap: Asbel Kiprop Pulls Off A Houdini Act, Do We Have A New King & Queen In The Men's Steeple And
Women's 5,000? Asbel Kiprop amazed, a new phenom emerged in the men's steeple and perhaps as well in the women's 5,000 & Francine Niyonsaba
dominated the women's 800. Plus lots of great sprint/field action with Kirani James, Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce, Jason Richardson, and Chinese hero, jumper Jinzhe Li.
*IAAF Full Meet Recap
LRC Shanghai Photo Gallery
MB: Official 2013 Shanghai Diamond League Discussion Thread
Sunday Road Results: Ryan Hall 2nd At Bay To Breakers
- Bay To Breakers: Tolossa Fufi Wins, Ryan Hall 2nd In First Race Since Olympics Hall was pleased to be healthy again. Diane Nukuri Johnson won the women's race.
*More: Best Bay To Breakers Costumers
*MB Thread On Hall's Run
- 16-Year-Old Marathon Debut: 16-Year-Old Alana Hadley Runs 2:58 In Marathon Debut Hadley's debut at such a young age got her a front page story in the NY Times sports section today.
- Japan: WR Holder Zersenay Tadese Takes Down Martin Mathathi At Gifu Seiryu Half Tadese ran 1:00:31 to Mathathi's 1:00:54. Ryan Vail was 10th (1:04:52) and Yuki Kawauchi, a week after running back-to-back half marathons, struggled in 14th place (1:05:05). Mestawet Tufa won the women's race in 1:10:03. *IAAF Recap
- Brooklyn: Kim Smith Wins Brooklyn Half In CR 1:11:24 Tesfaye Girma won the men's race in 1:06:03. *Full Results
- Still Not As Good As Kawauchi: Kenya's Duncan Koech Wins Nordea Riga Marathon In 2:15:35 3 Weeks After Running 2:09:10 For 3rd In Prague Ethiopia's Aberash Nesga won the women's race in 2:40:31.
- Isabella Ochichi Continues Her Comeback, Winning Sweden Half Marathon In Hot Conditions In 1:11:29 (Results Only) Jackson Kiprop won the men's race in 1:03:13.
- Further Proof Race Walking Is Not A Sport We Cover: Russian Race Walking Duo Try To Tie By Crossing The Line Holding Hands But Fail Due To Electronic Timing
- Jeromy Andreas And Lebo Phalula Win SA Road 10k Titles
News From Kenya (A Deceased Phenom In The News)
Anniversary Of Sammy Wanjiru's Tragic Death Passes - Mausoleum In His Honour Was Unveiled As His Lawyer Claims Agent Federico Rosa Has Stolen Money
Patrick Makau (2931) Loses To Peter Kirui (2915) At Administration Police Championships
2 Reviews & 1 Book Excerpt From John McDonnell: The Most Successful NCAA Coach In History
LRC Book Review By Former Hog Marlon Boykins: "Two Thumbs Up:"
book is full of insight into the hard-working, team-first ethos that
made us such a successful." We had two people review the book, including the 1:47 man Boykins, who was at Arkansas at the pinnacle of its heyday. "It was a self-contained UBER-COMPETITIVE atmosphere ... the sprinters, jumpers and distance guys all trying to show which group reigned supreme ..."
Book Excerpt The Legendary Story Of The 1989 Penn Relays DMR, Where 4 Kids From Arkansas, Texas And Missouri Beat 4 African Olympians And The Olympic 1,500m Champ The 1989 Mount St. Mary's Penn Relays DMR team featured 4 African Olympians, including 1988 Olympic 1,500m champ Peter Rono. John McDonnell's Arkansas squad featured 4 kids from Texas, Missouri and Arkansas. A legendary motivational speech by McDonnell and Joe Falcon on the anchor made for one of the great upsets in Penn Relays history. Read all about it in this excerpt from the new John McDonnell biography.
LRC Review #2 John McDonnell D2 Coach Torrey Olson We had Olson, who has an MFA in creative writing, give his take. "It's got a lot to offer anyone interested in an incredibly sustained passion for the both the sport and the profession."
NYC adidas Grand Prix *Results *LRC Winners Photo Gallery
*Results *IAAF Recap *RRW
LRC Non Distance Action: Blanka Vlasic Returns With A Win, Tyson Gay Wins Again As Does Jenn Suhr, Favorites Christian Taylor And Brittney Reese Struggle Montsho somehow went sub 50 in terrible conditions.
LRC Women's 1500: Aregawi Wins Easily As Expected; The Americans Miss The "A" As Morgan Uceny Improves Step in the right direction for Uceny and Rowbury.
LRC Women's Steeple: Lidya Chepkurui Gets Her Second DL Victory, Bridget Franek Impresses
LRC Winners Photo Gallery
*Sanya Richards-Ross doesn't run - she pulled out because her “foot wasn’t feeling strong”
*Blanka Vlasic wins in first competition in 20+ months
LRC Post Race Interviews:
Women: *Morgan Uceny *Bridget Franek *Kate Grace *Ashley Higginson
Great CityGames in Manchester, England; Kenyan Police Champs
Britain’s Perri Shakes-Drayton beats Olympic champ Natalya Antyukh and sets word record (best) of in rarely run 200 hurdles
*More on Perri Shakes-Drayton
- Allyson Felix sets world's best in women's 150m at 16.36 Florence Griffith Joyner ran 16.10 in her 200m world record.
*Allyson Felix wishes Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce hadn't pulled out so Olympic 100 and 200 champs could have raced
- Christophe Lemaitre runs 9.14 for
100m into 1.0 m/s (last 100 of 14.90 150)
- Jonnie Peacock wins Paralympic sprint
- Kenya: Jeremiah Mutai Runs 1:43.9 at Altitude at Kenyan Police Champs, Augustine Choge 3:37 *Day 1 Recap
- More UK News: Usain Bolt and Mo Farah will almost certainly compete at 2014 Commonwealth Games now that Virgin Media is a sponsor
- UsainBolt doing his best to keep intimidating his new 19 yr. old raining partner Delano Williams who almost beat his Boys&Girls 200m record (
- Zero chance: Olympic long jump champ Greg Rutherford says London Anniversary meet might end up being better than Olympics
- Canadians Damian Warner and Brianne Theisen lead combined events challeng after day 1
adidas GP on the boards:
MB: Official 2013 adidas Grand Prix New York Thread
*BEN SAAREL 4:02.78!!!
*Wariner's Back Baby!!!
*Just saw Leo Manzano in NY hotel lobby, he's been added to adidas GP 800 as has Brannen, Rutt and Lalang
*How Good Does Leroy Burrell's Son Get?
*The LetsRun.com Guarantee - No Sub-4 mile on Saturday. If there is a sub-4, we'll pay you $1,000.
LRC Coach Brother Colm O'Connell Talks On David Rudisha's Past, Present & Future And Greatness The coach of David Rudisha is taking a rare trip abroad to watch Rudisha compete. LRC talked to him about Rudisha past, present and future (he's running a 1,000m this year).
More: Ben True Is Confident And Says He Thinks He Can Definitely Get Sub-13 Eventually "Going to USAs [the 2012 Olympic Trials], people kind of already had in their mind an idea of who's going to make the team. I think that got in my head a little bit too much/ This year, that's not there. I have the confidence to be able to run with anybody."
*Blanka Vlasic Is Psyched To Finally Be Competing Again "I just can't wait. I can't wait to feel that pre-competition nervousness, the positive excitement, to be the part of that circuit again. I don't want to expect anything. But I still have my hopes."David Rudisha's Agent Says They Turn Down A Lot Of Lucrative Offers And Chance To Make Some Quick Cash To Focus On Training Rudisha: "I just want to run. I want to run the perfect race."
What Are We Supposed To Do About It? Running Shoes Have Large Carbon Footprint - 100-Watt Lightbulb On For One Week
Not Your Everyday Track & Field Links
- Sanya Richards-Ross And NFL Hubby Aaron Have Filmed Reality TV Show - Glam & Gold, Which Will Air On WETV In July, Chronicles Her Fast-Paced Life
- Cool: Author Of Running With The Kenyans Uses Crowdfunder To Raise £1,500 To Bring A Kenyan Talked About In His Book To Europe To Race Japhet Koech has trained every day for 5 years and never earned a penny.
(In Case You Missed It Over the Weekend) Occidental *LRC Oxy Recap *LRC 2013 Oxy Photos *OXY HP Live Thread
LRC Oxy Recap Mary Cain 4:04.62! Is Now Nearly 10 Seconds Faster Than Any Other American High Schooler
High school junior Mary Cain ran 4:04.62 for 2nd place to Katie Mackay to smash the American high school record. Cain is now nearly 10 seconds faster than any other American high schooler ever, and would be the #2 collegian of all time. Will Leer won the stacked 1,500m, but not officially, no men hit the "A" standard in the 1,500 or 5k, and Jenny Simpson PRed and Treniere Mosier impressed. Plus Webb,
and Solinsky in the 5k. *2013 Oxy Photo Gallery
*Post-Race Video Interview With Cain
*IAAF Recap: "Mo Farah Upstaged By US Prodigy Mary Cain"
Oxy On The Boards:
- MARY CAIN 4:04.62 IAAF A STANDARD!! *OXY HP Live Thread *Nick Symmonds wins OxyHP *Ritz looked great tonight *Bottom line: How many "A" Standard did Oxy Accomplish? *Prediction Of Day: Mary Cain will run under 4:06 tonight *Webb at oxy... Very concerning... I love the guy but what's happening to his career?!
Non-Oxy/Shanghai Track Results: Asafa Powell Injured Again
- Asafa Powell Pulls Up Injured Again During 100m At JAAA All-Comers Meet In Kingston (Includes Video) He pulled up about 50m into the race, hurting the same hamstring that gave him problems in Australia.
- Ponce, Puerto Rico: Dutch Over Culson, Ajee Wilson, Jeff Demps Win (updated with article) Johnny Dutch beat Puerto Rico's own Javier Culson in a world-leading 48.02. In other action, junior phenom Ajee Wilson won the 800, NFL player Jeff Demps won the 100m in 10.27, Erik Sowinski and Genevieve LaCaze won, as did friend of LRC Jeff Coover. *Full Results
- Atlanta: Lolo Jones Happy With Her 100H Win In 12.74 Over Queen Harrison At Atlanta Grand Prix Jeremy Wariner was 2nd in the 400 in 45.39, losing by .02 to GB's Michael Bingham. Trey Hardee beat Ashton Eaton in the SP and US's Terea Brown won the 400H (55.13). *Full Results
- Brit Junior Jessica Judd Runs 2:00.71 To Win Loughborough 800 Olympic 1,500 finalist Lisa Dobriskey won the 3k in 9:03, Perri Shakes-Drayton the 400 in 50.98, Rhys Williams ran top 2013 European 400H time in 48.90 for the win.
- Fast 10ks In Japan: 2011 World XC Silver Medalist Paul Tanui Runs World-Leading 27:21 At Kyushu Region Champs At the East Japan Corporate Champs, London 10,000 5th-placer Bedan Karoki ran the 2nd-fastest time in 2013 in 27:30.
- Kenyan Enock Omwamba Wins 1,500-10,000 Double At Kanto Regional University Championships In Japan He ran 3:39 and 28:15.
- Brad Walker Gets PV World Lead (5.83m) At Low-Key Setting In Phoenix Includes video.
- Weekend HS Coverage: Wesley Frazier Wins 3 North Carolina State Titles In 3,200 (10:00), 1,600 (4:49) And 800 (2:14) At Utah state champs, Ben Saarel won the 1,600m in a state record 4:07 (beating Luke Puskedra's record) and the 800 in a state record 1:51.13. Jason Hartmann-coached Elise Cranny won Colorado state titles in the 3,200/1,600/800.
- Former Throws WR Holder Mac Wilkins Has Been Developing A Post-Collegiate Throws Group In Oregon His athlete Liz Podominick hit the "A" in the discus.
- Discus Olympic Champ Robert Harting Opens His Season With 68.31m WL In Germany He also set the record for most days undefeated with 1,003 days.
Two Recommended Reads
Recommended Read: Religion Blog: What Truths Does Iconic Image Of Boston Marathon Truly Capture? "Just as Jews pray to celebrate Passover 'next year in Jerusalem' and Muslims pledge to visit Mecca, marathoners want to 'run
*More Boston: Runners Start An Online Petition To Grant A Spot In The 2014 Boston Marathon To The 5,700 Runners Who Were Stopped Before They Could Finish More than 21,000 have signed; the BAA say they haven't made a decision yet.
RR#2: John Mayer: Western State's Ian Butler On Remarkable Run In Life's Goal To Succeed The D2 All-American suffered two brain injuries as a kid and has had people tell him he's retarded and the memory of a goldfish. Hanging out with the wrong crowd in 9th grade, he's now of track to be a college grad.
Interesting Reads From Africa
- 2-Year Anniversay Of Sammy Wanjiru's Death Is Wed., May 15th, And Fuller Picture Of His Downfall Is Emerging
The Virgin London Marathon - The World's Most Competitive *Top Results LRC: Photo Gallery
Women's Race: LRC Priscah Jeptoo Finishes First In Women's London Marathon Marred By Wheelchair Collision Jeptoo was very
over the second half, but the race was marred by the fact that Olympic champ Tiki Gelana was wiped out from behind in a horrific collision with a wheelchair racer.
*Top Results LRC: Photo Gallery
More London: *Video Of Wheelchair Collision
Good News: Wheelchair Racers May Start Before Professional Women Next Year
*Josh Cassidy (Wheelchair Racer Who Hit Gelana): "One of these years a woman is going to have a leg broken, a career ruined."
*London Honors The Victims In Boston
*Some Are Selling Boston Memorabilia On EBay And Giving Proceeds To Charity
Recommended Read: Paula Radcliffe And Her Husband Reflect On Her 2:15:25 Marathon WR, Which She Ran At London 10 Years Ago
These Are So Excellent: 2013 Bay To Breakers Photos
The Week That Was
LRC Mary Cain Rewrites The Record Books, German Fernandez & Robby Andrews Struggle, Molly Huddle Impresses, WADA Testing Alert, And Is Alan Webb Done? We offer some extra insight into last week's action at Oxy, Shanghai, Bay to Breakers (aka Ryan Hall's comeback) and more.
International News: Oscar P Won't Be Racing In 2013
- Oscar Pistorius Says He Won't Compete This Year As He Awaits Trial His agent says he received a number of invitations to meets, but is not yet mentally ready to start training and racing again.
- Good Read: UK Sprinter Dwain Chambers Training At Altitude In Chamonix, France, Where He Will Climb The 4,800m Mont Blanc At The End Of The Season For Charity He'll race against Christophe Lemaitre over 150m at Manchester City Games on Saturday.
LRC The #1 Recruit In The Land Signs With ... New Mexico? The #1 recruit in the land has decided where he'll be running next year and coach Joe Franklin is a very happy man as a result. Whom do we consider to be the top recruit???
Think The Sub-2-Hour Marathon Is On The Horizon? Think Again
LRC The Myth Of The Sub-2-Hour Marathon The mainstream media thinks it may be close but in reality most people reading this will be dead when it happens.
*Science of Sport's Ross Tucker agrees: Pacing, fatigue and the brain. Lessons from London.
*MB: Sub 2 Hour Marathon Discussion: My Thoughts and Yours
Blue Collar / Inspirational Runner Of The Week
LRC Meet Conner Paez: "Please don't cut off my leg. Please just don't amputate my leg. I can't lose my leg. I need to run." Two years ago, Conner Paez was on top of the world as a freshman at the University of Pennsylvania (8:16, 14:18). Then his life turned in a second as he was broadsided by a car while on his motor bike. The injuries were bad, very bad. He almost lost his leg, then some toes. Doctors told him he'd never compete again. What's he doing this weekend? Competing again.
Learn From The Pros
LRC Ten Training Tips From Bernard Lagat, Dathan Ritzenhein And Abdi Abdirahman The American men took center stage at the NYC Half on Thursday. You can watch video interviews with the top American men (Lagat here, Ritz here and Abdi here) and we will have more on their race preparations on Friday, but in the meantime we compiled ten training tips from Bernard, Dathan, and Abdi that you can use in your own training.