Quote Of The Day
“Addressing the course, the weather, different tactics in his preparations, what was left for Kawauchi to face was the most daunting obstacle, the competition. Defending champ and London world champion Geoffrey Kirui. Silver medalist Tamirat Tola. A long list of Africans far faster than he’ll ever run. But above all, one name. Galen Rupp.
It was never spoken between us, but we both knew it was all about Rupp. An Olympic medalist, the runner-up last year who ironed out the flaws to win Chicago with a mind-blowing last 10 km. The product of Salazar, the Nike machine and all its financial and technological clout. The core reason for the Nike Oregon Project’s existence. Saitama governor Ueda had called Kawauchi the Rocky of the marathon world after his breakthrough in 2011. This was Rocky IV. How could one runner with no coach, no sponsors, no budget, no technology, a full-time job, go about overcoming someone so much more powerful?
By using his head. Looking at Rupp’s marathons to date and those of his teammate Suguru Osako, taken all together it became clear that the NOP only had one approach: exert the minimum effort possible until 30~32 km and then just do it. Sit and kick. Sit and kick. Sit and kick. That was all they had, and it seemed pretty clearly telegraphed that Rupp would kick off Heartbreak for the win. If you could just neutralize that last 10 km they had nothing. The only question was how.”
– Excerpt from the inside story of how Yuki Kawauchi shocked the world and won the 2018 Boston Marathon by Brett Larner, Kawauchi’s agent and translator. The piece also reveals Bill Rodgers recorded a video urging Kawauchi to run Boston and helped give him advice.
Super Hot on LetsRun: Official 2018 London Marathon Live Discussion Thread
- Get your picks in $200,018 London Marathon Running Warehouse Prediction Contest
- Josh Kerr breaks NCAA record 3:35.01!! @Clay Invite
- Holy crap. Yuki Kawauchi had 1 plan for Boston - To break Galen Rupp. That's why he went out in 4:37!!
- London Marathon - Half way split
- You are walking in the woods and come upon a suitcase filled with a million dollars.
- It's currently 39 degrees & raining w/ 18-20 mph winds in Colorado Springs, CO...I just went for a run
- Are there still better recruiting offers?
- Desi's Shoes - Clearly Brooks' version of 4%
- My T&F coach said I shouldn'r run too many miles
- If not the jacket, what IS ok to wear from Boston