- Kenyan Runners Raking In The Dough Olympic gold medallist and Committee chairman Kip Keino said of the 156 marathon events held last year in various parts of the world, Kenyans won 126 of them.
- Kenyan Matthew Kisorio Who Took 4th Place At World XC Last Week Wins Stramilano Half Marathon In 60:03
- Mexican Olympian Carlos Cordero Gomez Wins Rock 'n' Roll Dallas Half In 63:58 Gomez took it out in a 4:36 mile; NFL Hall Of Fame quarterback Troy Aikman also ran this half in 1:48:11.
Irish Distance Running And "Record-Keeping Gnomes"!
- Villanova Coach Marcus O'Sullivan Says Old Path Of US Scholarship For Irish Athletes Has Changed He says a lot has changed with recruiting. American distance running is "booming" and there are now more opportunities in Ireland, which is why we see a lot less US coaches recruiting Irish distance runners.
- The Oregonian: Record-Keeping Gnomes Strike Again; Mo Farah's Half Marathon Mark Questioned Ken Goe is upset by the IAAF's policy and says, "Competitive athletics are about effort, courage, sacrifice, will.
Sometimes, the numbers do nothing but get in the way."
*Mo Farah's NYC Half Victory Set A UK National Record, But IAAF Refuses To Count It Scroll down the page and you will see that the IAAF refuses to accept times from the NYC course because it is "slightly downhill."
Outdoors Is Here - Stanford Invite: Schedule, Entries, Live Results, Non-Live Videos: *Rspace.com *Ftrack.org
- Stanford Results: Men's Distance Events
- Women's Distance Events
- Jessica Pixler Runs World-Leading 5k For Outdoor Season With 15:25.58 To Beat Olympian Jen Rhines
- The Oregonian: Keep An Eye On Oregon's Women's 4x100 Who Won Stanford In 44.47
- The Oregon State Women's 5k Record Was Broken Twice Within Half An Hour At Stanford Hayley Oveson broke it first with a time of 16:34.01 and then 21 minutes later, her teammate Laura Carlyle re-broke it by running 16:19.00.
*Oregon State Distance Runners Perform Well At Stanford Invy
- Recap Of Oregon Performances Clarie Michel broke her own steeple school record as she was the first collegian in 3rd place with 10:11.64.
- MB: Stanford mens 1500m RESULTS. No Fernandez.
*Andy Bayer 13:32!!
*Stanford 10k Fast Heat - Rob Cheseret 28:29
*SARA HALL wins Stanford invite steeple
- The Oregonian: Weather Problems Put A Crimp In Big Cali Meets This Weekend, Cancel Second Day Of Cal Multis Meet
- The Stanford Invitational Begins Friday
News From Europe And Other
- Seb Coe Says London Would Be A "Fantastic Venue" For The 2017 World Champs, But UK's Track Record With Past Bids May Hurt Their Chances
- Nick Willis Eases To New Zealand 5,000m Title
- Jerusalem Hosts First Marathon Days After Bombing
- Olympic Silver Medallist Sonia O'Sullivan Supports Ireland's Strict Policy Toward Olympic "A" Standard
- UK's 2009 Worlds 1,500 Silver Medallist, Lisa Dobriskey, Decides To Abandon Plan To Try Doubling 1,500/800
- Does Mississippi State's New Track Have A Bank? "The nine-lane track has lanes that are a half-foot wider than typical lanes and have an engineered slope in its turns to aid in building/maintaining speed in the corners."
- "Blade Runner" Hits 400m Olympic "B" Standard Oscar Pistorius continues his quest to become the first double amputee to compete in the Olympics by running a PR of 45.61 (his previous best was 46.02), which gives him the 2011 outdoor world lead.
*"Blade Runner" Says He's Been Losing Weight And "Training Like A Dog" *3rd Article
- Alan Webb To Run In Drake Relays Mile On April 30th
- Tyson Gay & Jeremy Wariner To Run 4 X 400m At Texas Relays
- Usain Bolt & Tyson Gay Probably Will Not Race Until World Champs And apparently UK tax laws are partially to blame. Tyson Gay is racing in London and Bolt would like to as well, but UK laws would tax him a ridiculous amount if he did.
- Florida Men, Texas A&M Women Begin 2011 Outdoor Season As Number Ones
Japan Running News
- Japan Women Get Second Chance At Virgin London Marathon
*Japan's Yuri Kano Withdraws From London Marathon
*London, Boston, Daegu International Named As Japan Women's World Champs Selection Race Replacements
- USA Today: Japan Still Considering 2020 Olympic Bid
- 104-Year-Old Masters World Record Holder Killed In Tsunami
More Post-World XC
- After Winning World XC Champs, An Olympic Gold Is The Only Thing Missing From Vivian Cheruiyot's Collection
- USATF: Shalane Flanagan Named Athlete Of The Week
- Lisa Koll More Determined After "Mediocre Day" In Spain
- 9 Japanese Women Who Were Going To Try To Make Worlds At Nagoya Marathon Will Now Run London Next Month Instead
- 2 Months Away In Rome: Asafa Powell Vs. Usain Bolt At 100m, Sanya Richards Vs. Allyson Felix At 200m AND 400m Three cheers for stars racing one another.
- Dwight Phillips And Irving Saladino To Long Jump In Hengelo On May 29th
- 800m World Champ Mbulaeni Mulaudzi To Resume Training This Week After 8-Month Hiatus With Hamstring Injury
The Only Required Reading In The Industry
LRC: Week That Was: Flanagan Gets Bronze, Rupp Makes An Impressive Debut, An American Runs 2:27 At LA, And The US XC Dream Team Sure, we bet you know about Shalane Flanagan's bronze at World XC and Galen Rupp's half marathon in NYC. But we help put these in perspective and tell you about the American who ran 2:27 in LA (Amy Hastings) and wonder how well the US dream team of Lagat, Rupp, Solinsky, Tegenkamp and Ritz would do at World XC. And of course the most important news of the week, the fight at World XC.
US Coaching, Interviews, And Other
- Track Focus Podcast With 2-Time NCAA Steeplechase Champ And 10-Time All-American Sid Sink
- US Sumo Wrestle Champ Sets WR As Heaviest Person To Finish A Marathon He ran 9:48:42 ... that's 22:27 a mile.
- USA Today: Track Coach And Agent Mark Block Will Appeal 10-Year Ban
- Bowerman's Unearthed Waffle Iron Funds Condon-Wheeler HS Track Team
- Jack Daniels Gives Free Running Clinic In Pennsylvania Daniels focuses ont not "overdoing it" and knowing the purpose of every run.
- RRW Interview: Tom Raynor, Chariman & CEO, Fleet Feet Inc.
- Pre-1981 Oregon Women Athletes To Receive Long Overdue Varsity Letters From back when Title IX was more than just an excuse to cut cross-country/track programs.
Japan Quake News
- Nagano Marathon Cancelled, Entry Fees To Be Donated To Earthquake & Tsunami Victims
- Kasumigaura Marathon Cancelled Due To Course Damage
- UK Runners Start Site To Dedicate Runs/Donate Money To Japan Earthquake Victims
News Of Note
- Zazzle To Sponsor 100th Bay To Breakers!
- Russian Billionaire Roman Abramovich To Build Yelena Isinbayeva An Indoor Track
2011 NYC Half *Top 50 Results (link fixed) *LRC Photos (updated) *Great On-Demand Video Coverage
NYC Half News We Didn't Cover Monday: Galen Rupp And Alberto Comment On His Half Marathon Trackfocus
*Universal Sports Examines Ryan Hall's Half In New York The article doesn't say this, but in training for a marathon, Hall shouldn't run a half if he's going to go out too fast and die.
*Mo Farah Was Training In Adidas Shoes On Nike Campus But Now He's 100% Nike
*The Independent Takes A Look At Alberto Salazar And His Scientific Techniques
More Weekend News
- Kim Smith Does New Bedford Half Marathon In 1:09:50 Instead Of Running NY Half Good idea for her to not get carried away and try to race too fast when her focus is on the Boston Marathon.
- Oregon Preview Recap Sally Kipyego and Chris Thompson dominated the 3ks, Geena Gall won the 1,500, and Tyler Mulder the 800. Results
- Moroccan Tarik Marhnaoui And Italian Ornella Ferrara Win Inaugural Monaco Run (That Goes Into 3 Countries) IAAF
- World Triple Jump Champ Yargelis Savigne Jumps 14.95m In Cuba, Dayron Robles Recovering Well From Injury
Mo Farah Gets Win & Caroline Rotich Gets Course Record But Galen Rupp Steals The Headlines In his half marathon debut, Mo Farah won a 3-way
Gebremariam and Galen
Rupp as he took the victory in 60:23. Rupp made waves early by wearing a mask, then falling down, but then made way bigger waves late with his legs as he got faster each 5k (15:05-14:27-14:04-13:53) to became the 5th-fastest American in history thanks to his spectacular 60:30 debut. The "old guard" of US men's distance running
do nearly as well, as Meb Keflezighi ran 62:52, Abdi ran 63:12 and Ryan Hall was way back in 63:53. But the "old" woman, Kara Goucher, was great as she ran 69:03 to get third (remember she ran 74:02 in January).
*Telegraph Recap: Mo Farah Wins His Half Marathon Debut In New York Afterwards, he says Salazar has him in the best shape of his life.
*Salazar's Runners Farah, Rupp And Goucher All Leave New York Very Pleased
*RRW Recap *AP Recap Of NYC Half Marathon *WSJ Recap Of NYC Half Marathon
*Alistair Cragg Breaks Martin Fagan's Irish Record By Running 60:49
Zersenay Tadese Misses His Own WR But Runs 2nd-Fastest Half Marathon Ever (58:30) In Portugal Despite having little help from rabbits and having to run into the wind the last 3 miles, Tadese was great as usual at the 13.1 distance.
Weekend Track Action
Fort Worth: Jeremy Wariner Runs 20.71, Sanya Richards-Ross 23.06, And Jessica Young 11.14 At TCU Invite It was the fastest 200m season opener in 4 years for Wariner. TCU Results
Sydney: David Rudisha's 1:44 Easily Beats Asbel Kiprop, Mitchell Watt Long Jumps 8.38, And 15-Year-Old Aussie Anna Laman Runs 4:13 1,500m *Results
On The Boards: Jordan Hasay who? Aussie 14yo girl runs 4:13.62
2011 NCAA Champs *Full Results *2011 Event-By-Event Results With Splits *LRC Women's Preview *LRC Men's Preview *LRC Day 1 Photos *Video Highlights (48 Hours Only) Within Articles Or On Right
Day 2: LRC 3ks: Hasay Becomes A Legend, Heath Unleashes His Legendary Kick As of Fri. night, Jordan Hasay was viewed as the former teen prodigy who couldn't quite kick for the big one in college. Now, just as was the case for Galen Rupp two years ago, she is college distance running's biggest star, as she won the mile and then came back in the 3k to make herself into a legend by turning the tables on Sheila Reid. Stanford's Elliott Heath's kick was even more lethal, as he destroyed a super-talented men's 3k field over the final 140m. Includes last lap video coverage.
Day 2: LRC Mid-D: Hasay Gets Title #1, Batty Gets Title #2, Fred Samoei Wins A Nailbiter, And BYU's Bleazard Dominates After being outkicked in the DMR on Fri. night, Jordan Hasay outkicked the competition to grab her first NCAA title as BYU's Miles Batty completed the double in the men's mile, holding off a spirited challenge from Tulsa's Chris O'Hare. The men's 800 featured the best finish of the night as Michael Rutt's bold move to the lead 400 meters in almost held up. In the women' s 800, BYU's Lacey Bleazard won her 2nd indoor title - it's a shame the ESPN3 announcers had no idea who she was. Includes last lap video coverage.
Day 1: LRC DMR: Villanova's Reid Outkicks Oregon's Hasay, BYU's Miles Batty Holds Off Incredible 3:53 Anchor From Andy Bayer Both DMRs had great finishes. The women were first and 'Nova's Sheila
Reid and Oregon's Jordan
Hasay put on
battle for the ages. On the men's side, Andy Bayer split a sick 3:53 to take Indiana from 9th to 2nd, but it was not enough to overtake BYU's Miles Batty, as the night of incredible men's distance running continued with three sub-3:55 splits. Arizona's Lawi Lalang split 3:56.9 and his team lost 3 spots. Recap, interviews, photos, and video of last laps.
LRC 5,000m Recaps: Unheralded Leonard Korir Storms To NCAA Record, Jackie Areson Impresses, Mia Behm Surprises Everyone The men's 5,000m witnessed Iona's Leonard Korir winning a scorching-fast 5k in 13:26.01 over Sam Chelanga, as three guys broke the previous NCAA meet record. On the women's side, Jackie Areson put on a display over the last 600m and Mia Behm, who was 7th at the Big 12, shocked everyone to get 2nd. Recap and interviews
Day 1: AP Recap In the multis, Brianne Theisen broke her record in the pentathlon.
LRC 800 Prelims Recap
LRC Mile Prelims Recap
*With Only Indoor Eligbility Left, Jackie Areson Will Cherish Her 1st NCAA Title She put on a clinic in the 5k.
*Meet Texas A&M's Joey Roberts The profile of the 800 is a good one and it came out before he false started in the prelims.
NCAA D1 LRC Talk
800: *Greer!? *Greer and Loxsom ... WTF happened?
Mile: *Mile prelims NOW *4:00 mile at altitude doesn't translate to anything at sea level
DMR: *Congratulations to Villanova women's team on an XC champs, and DMR champs double! *Tired Jordan Hasay gets beat by fresh Sheila Reid *Hasay would have won had she not had to lead 7 laps
5k: *5k Play-By-Play *LEONARD MF KORIR!!! *Sam Chelanga: what does his future hold? *Women's 5K - Van Dalen - DNF??
Sad News: Sally Meyerhoff Killed In Cycling Accident The two-time All-American and US Olympic Trials qualifier as well former US champion at 25km was killed on Tuesday in a cycling accident at the young age of 27 while she trained for the Ironman World
Championship. *LRC MB: Sad News: Sally Meyerhoff Killed in Accident
*Abc15.com Article With Video On Meyerhoff's Death
*Ahwatukee.com Article On Meyerhoff's Death
*New York Road Runners Article
*More Sad News: Florida High School Track Athlete Sarah Landauer Dies After Collapsing At Practice
Melbourne Track Classic *LRC Melbourne Talk *Full Results *Event-By-Event Results *Photo Gallery *Post-Race 5k Interviews *Recap & 5k Video
A Dream Outdoor US Track Matchup In March In Australia
LRC: Bernard Lagat Wins And Leads Five To "A" Standard; Jeff Risesey Stuns Kiprop And Willis (And Webb) In 1,500; David Rudisha Cruises To 1:43.88 Win In 800 The Melbourne Track Classic was full of hot distance action. In the 5k, Lagat (13:08.43) pulled away from Chris Solinsky (13:10.22) and then held off a shocking late charge by Australia's Ben St. Lawrence, who had a massive 15-second personal best to finish second, as Matt Tegenkamp and the surprising Andrew Bumbalough also got the "A"' standard. In the 1,500, Jeff Riseley came in saying he was in even better shape than last year and then backed it up by getting an upest win for the second-straight year in 3:36.71, as American Alan Webb (3:37.82) drastically improved his 2011 fortunes by finishing right behind the Olympic gold medallist Asbel Kiprop (3:37.63) and well ahead of the Olympic silver medallist Nick Willis (3:38.76), as David Rudisha (1:43.88) and Nick Symmonds (1:45.08) opened fast.
Week In Review
LRC Week That Was: Haile G Jokes, Bernard, Galen And Jenny, The Track & Field Labor Dispute, And Our Hero Kawauchi We span the globe to cover the running world like no one else. From the roads of Tokyo to the mountains of New Mexico, we've got it covered.
LRC Bernard Lagat Wins 3,000m At USA Indoors And Makes It Look Easy Galen Rupp tried his best to beat Bernard Lagat on Saturday night, but Lagat ran away from Rupp with ease on the final lap, reminding us how damn good he is at 3,000m. Last year, when Lagat won World Indoors, we said he was "Utterly Brilliant." This one was "utterly smooth." Jenny Simpson ran away from Sara Hall on the last lap to win the women's 3,000m. More Sunday.
*On The Boards: USATF 5000m: Lagat, 7:57.17, Rupp 7:59.91
*Day 1 Photos
The Secret Is ... There Is No Secret
World Leads And A World Record?
- Has Sara Hall Found Her Ticket To Daegu & London With The 3k Steeple? This is a great analysis and summary of the career and possible future of Sara Hall, as well as a breakdown of just who the top US women are from 1500 up through 5k. If you haven't been following professional women's running in the US as well as you would like, this is a good place to start catching up.
- LJ va Zyl Takes World 400m Lead From Blade Runner With 44.86; 4 Distance World Leads Set At Stanford Invitational
- World Record Attempt For "5 Person Linked Marathon" At Boston Why five?
- University Of Texas's Keiron Stewart Set World Lead In 110m Hurdles With 13.44 seconds
Will Brazil Actually Be Ready To Host The Olympics In 2016? At This Rate, No Sports Minister Orlando Silva (who is overseeing preparations for the World Cup & Olympics): "We need to begin to control people's expectations. The idea that we were going to make up for 30 years without investment in infrastructure in just four years was probably never realistic."
- Texas A&M's Demetrius Pinder Defeats Olympic 400m Champ Jeremy Wariner In 200m
- Duke Ceremony For Sally Meyerhoff To Be Held April 10
- Interview With 2008 Olympic Marathoner Blake Russell Who Finished 19th At World XC Champs Last Week
- Milesplit Coverage Of HS Adidas Meet Of Champions With Videos/Highlights From Boys/Girls Dream Mile Qualifying Races
- Jeremy Wariner Says If He Gets The Perfect Race, He Might Be Able To Get Michael Johnson's 12-Year-Old World Record Of 43.18
- Lock Haven XC Team Will Run 100 Miles To Harrisburg To Protest Gov. Tom Corbett's Proposed Education Cuts
- NY Times: X-Ray Scanning To Keep Muscular Balance In Athletes
- Caster Semenya Improves Her Season Best To 2:01.77, Winning Easily She says she'd hopes to run faster against better competition with someone taking it out in 60 seconds. She led most of this race and 2nd place was only 2:06.28.
- A Humble 400m Runner Richard Buck Credits New Coaching To Propelling Him To The Bronze Medal At Indoor European Champs
- IAAF Recap Of New Zealand National Championships
- Kenya Prisons Athletes Dominate At National Bank Of Kenya/Athletics Kenya Track Meet
- World, Olympic And Commonwealth Shot Put Champ Valerie Adams Easily Wins Her 11th NZ National Title
*Adams Takes Gamble By Switching To New Coach
- New Zealand's Jacko Gill Breaks Own World Age Record In Shot Put With 6kg Shot
- London Police Protect Olympic Clock As It Becomes Center Of Protests
- Interview With 2008 Olympic Silver Medallist & 2011 European Heptathlon Champ Andrei Krauchanka
- Bank Of America Shamrock Shuffle 8K To Feature U.S. Olympian Amy Yoder Begley And National Record Holder Simon Bairu Bairu is a two time NCAA XC champ and has the Canadian 10k record, while Begley is a six-time US national champ and 2008 Olympian. *Interview With Amy Yoder Begley
- Kara Goucher Blogs She Is Very Happy With Her Race At NYC Half
- Big Sur Marathon Forced To Modify 2011 Course When A 60ft Section Of The Highway Fell Into The Pacific Ocean Apparently this has happened before.
- NEW YORK RACE TO HONOR MEYERHOFF WITH AWARD
- Track Town Video Promo For 2012 Olympic Trials
- NCAA 800m Record Holder Julius Achon's Humanitarian Work Is Making A Difference In Uganda
- US's Magdalena Lewy-Boulet Shares Her Experience From World XC In Spain
- Kenyan Runner Jailed For 2 Months After Winning Uganda Marathon
- Morocco's Africa Championships Bronze Medallist Btissam Lakhouad Looking To Medal In World Champs 1,500m
- Uganda's 2010 World XC Bronze Medallist Moses Kipsiro Blames Back Injury For Poor Performance In 2011 Where He Finished 11th
Sparking Some Debate
- Academic Says There Is No Proof Success In Sports Is Genetic To young aspiring athletes he would like to say: "I would say to them - all of them, including the white kids - 'Go into sprinting. Don't worry because you're white. It's got nothing to do with the colour of your skin.'" Optimistic attitude, but someone might want to tell him that only one white man has ever broken the 10-second barrier in the 100m.
- USA Today: Ralph Nader Calls For An End To College Athletic Scholarships He says he wants to "address the myth of amateurism surrounding big-time college football and basketball in this country" and help reduce the "win-at-all-costs" mentality in high schools by reducing
the incentive of college scholarships.
*MB Thread: Ralph Nader: Eliminate College Athletic Scholarships
*Blogger Says Ralph Nader Wants To Kill Youth Sports
On The Roads
- Vienna Marathon: Peninah Arusei And Ana Dulce Felix To Debut Kenya's Arusei won bronze at the World Half Marathon Champs and has a PR of 67:48, while Portugal's Felix has a PR of 68:33.
*Ana Dulce Félix Looking To Break Portugal NR Of 2:23:28
- Alistair Cragg Ready For Boston After A Great Run In NY Half
- Wildlife Photographer Paul Goldstein Plans To Run Four Marathons With A Tiger On His Back He will run 4 marathons in one week to try to raise more than £30,000 to protect the Bengal tiger, one of the world's most endangered animals.
- IAAF: Prague Marathon Announces Elite Fields
- Boston Marathon Organizers Add 10k Summer Road Race
Other Track Stuff
- The NYC Armory: Then And Now
- Video With Christophe Lemaitre Explaining How To Run The 100m Want to run the 100m? The first white man to break the 10-second barrier shows you how.
- Linda Prefontaine's New Book: "The PRE Log" - A Motivational Tool For Recreational Runners
- Former NCAA Steeplechase Champ Erin Bedell Blogs About Patience And Dedication To The Process
- Why British Bid For 2017 World Champs May End In Tears
The Bonds Trial: Barry Bonds Childhood Friend And Business Partner Says He Saw Bonds' Trainer With A Syringe And Barry And Trainer Discuss Steroids
We Haven't Given This The Attention It Deserves: (Update: Lengthy AP Article) Agent To Some Of The Sport's Stars, Mark Block, To Appeal 10-Year Ban From Sport Block is a fairly big agent in the sport and was busted last week by USADA. His agency now represents Xavier Carter, Carmelita Jeter, Nick Symmonds and others. Block was the President of the agency and presumably the owner and is listed on the Association of Athletics Managers website. Now the old staff page is gone, and former Director of Communications Chris Layne is listed as Managing Director. Not sure if owning the agency is considered involvement in the sport. Block's statement say the decision "misstated the evidence." You can read the decision yourself here which includes this: "Mark Block also admitted paying Balco/Conte for all the drugs received by Mark Block, including EPO, 'The Clear' and 'The Cream' and Modafinil." Good riddance unless overturned on appeal.
Mark Block USADA Decision
Lance Gets Back To His Triathlon Roots
Lance Armstrong Having Alberto Salazar Coach Him In Running For Ironman Lance discusses the possibility of winning it.
On The Boards: Salazar to Coach Lance Armstrong
And the easiest way to get hate emails is to link to something like this: Do you think Lance Armstrong will ever admit to doping?
- New York Adidas Grand Prix Will Feature Jeremy Wariner, Tyson Gay Blanka Vlasic, & Jessica Ennis *2nd Article On Ennis
- Nick Willis To Run 5k At New Zealand Champs On Friday
- SA's Top Marathoner Tanith Maxwell Finishes 7th In Reading Half Marathon
- "Blade Runner" Going For 4 Golds At SA National Championships For The Physically Disabled
- Long Jump Olympic Champ Dwight Phillips And World Champ Irving Saladino To Clash In Hengelo
Brits In Their Prime In The News
*Paula Radcliffe Training In Albuquerque And Dreaming Of Olympic Gold
*Daily Telegraph With An In-Depth Look At Paula Radcliffe Radcliffe's career has been amazing with 5 of the 6 fastest marathons ever. She is now focused on one thing - London 2012.
*37-Year-Old Helen Clitheroe Had European Gold And Is Running Better Than Ever But Is Still Struggling Financially
2011 World XC *Results *New Women's Race Photos *New Men's Race Photos
World XC News We Didn't Cover Monday:
*Kenya's Linet Masai Just Misses World XC Title For Third Straight Year
*South Africa's Stephen Mokoka Happy With His 15th Place Finish This equals the best finish ever for a SA senior male runner.
*Craig Mottram Pleased With World XC Run
*World XC Champ Imane Merga Has One More XC Race This Weekend, Then Will Turn Focus To Track And with our sport's emphasis on time, he still has to go out and get a 10k qualifier. IAAF
*Faith Kipyegon Chepngetich Won Girls Juniors Barefoot
*New Women's Race Photos
LRC: Shalane Flanagan Gets Bronze The Olympic bronze medallist and ING NYC Marathon runner-up ran a stellar race to snatch the bronze versus a star-studded field. Flanagan appeared to be dropped with 2km to go, but dug deep to stay in contention and battle back for the bronze. World 5,000m champ Vivian Cheruiyot pulled away from World 10,000m
Linet Masai for gold. The American women did very well to get a repeat bronze medal.
*IAAF Recap Of Women's Race
*Charlotte Purdue Is Top European On Weekend In 14th In Women's Race If you weren't born in Africa, you didn't finish any better than 21st in the men's race, which is where Craig Mottram finished - aided in part as two guys ahead of him came to blows as they ran down the finishing straight. *2nd LRC MB Thread On Fight
*Japanese Jr. Girls Earn Bronze
*Cheruiyot: "I have won everything now, save for that elusive Olympic medal."
*Nice Recap Of Women's Race *Nice Recap Of Races From Kenyan Perspective *Athletics Weekly Recap Of World 2011 World XC *Video Highlights Of World XC Women's Race
Men: Imane Merga Blasts Away From Four Kenyans In Sprint To Win The Kenyan men dominated the team competition and had 4 of the top 5 guys in the pack for the sprint the final 400m. However, the lone Ethiopian - Imane Merga, the Diamond League 5,000m champion - got the win the Kenyan nation wants most every year. Ben True was the first American in 36th, as he and fellow Ivy Leaguer Max King were America's two best.
*Merga: "Before I used to think of myself as a track runner but this winter I have got to like cross-country races more."
*Craig Mottram Finishes As Top Non-Afrrican Born Male In 21st As Two Guys Ahead Of Him Are DQed For Fighting In Race To Line Eritrea's Samuel Tsegay and Ethiopia's Abera Kuma were given the DQ.
Junior Boys: Geoffrey Kipsang Leads Kenya To 13th Straight Title Kipsang was only 4th at the Kenyan Trials but dominated. High schooler Craig Lutz was the first American in 29th.
Junior Girls: Faith Kipyegon Of Kenya Wins, But Ethiopia Edges Them For Team Title High schooler Aisling Cuffe was the first American in 17th.
Markos Geneti's Marathon Debut Is Spectacular In LA As He Sets California Record With A 2:06:35 The 13:00-flat 5ker went in hoping to run 2:07:30 but ran way faster despite the weather being cold and rainy. Deba Buzunesh beat American Amy Hastings - who led much of the race - by 29 seconds by running 2:26:34. *LRC
MB Thread On Hastings Here *AP Recap
Of LA Marathon
*LA Marathon Photo Gallery
*Guy On McDonald's-Only Diet Runs 2:36 PR More: McRunner.com
Other Weekend Marathons
2:05:30 Man Abderrahim Goumri Wins Seould Marathon In 2:09:11 In Cold & Rainy Conditions IAAF Robe Guta got the win in the women's race (2:26:51). *South Korea's Jeong Jin-hyuk Is Surprise 2nd In 2:09:28
Ethiopia's Firehiwot Dado (2:24:13) Wins Third Straight Rome Marathon
Week That Was
LRC 10 Thoughts On NCAAs We go behind the results and point out some interesting stats from the NCAAs. We not only look at Jordan Hasay's amazing weekend, but also point out how great her DMR loss was. Then we look at the emergence of Elliott Heath and tell you why he likely will end up on an Olympic or Worlds team. Along the way, we give out a history lesson about the greatness of John McDonnell and remind ourselves how he defeated the whole NCAA combined from 1984 to 2008. We also hand out some sympathy for Diego Estrada and Lali Lalang and give some advice to the folks at ESPN. At the very least, it's worth clicking on, as we have a chart with the last 10 years of NCAA mid-d and distance champs on the men's side so you can take a trip down memory lane.
Previous World XC News
- Simon Bairu Gives Glimpse Into What Runners Can Expect At Sunday's World XC Championships Bairu won't be racing this year, but was an impressive 12th last year.
- Recommended Watch Interview With 21-Year-Old Robertson Twins Of New Zealand They left home at age 17 to live and train in Kenya and haven't seen their parents in 4 years! One has a PR of 3:44 in the 1,500 and the other a 5k of 13:32 and they will both be racing in Spain on Sunday.
- Kenyan XC Team Are Ready For War After Rivals Arrive In Spain Early
- Last Rites For World Cross-Country?
- Kenya Ready To Hit Hard At Worlds Team looks deep considering all 4 individual title winners from last year failed to make the team.
- Japan's XC Team Will Be Missing Some Runners In Light Of Last Week's Natural Disasters
US XC Team In-Depth: XCNation.com has a 4-part series on the US team.
- Part IV: Bill Rodgers
- Part III: World XC 2011 Interviews Part III: Legends Craig Virgin, Thom Hunt, Greg Meyer, Ed Eyestone, Steve Plasencia, George Malley
- Part II: Interviews With Brent Vaughn, Magdalena Lewy Boulet, Erik Olson, Molly Grabill, Justin Vilhauer, Ryan Poland, Scott Bauhs, Chris Barnicle And Aisling Cuffe
- Part I: Interviews With Andrew Bumbalough, Molly Huddle, Ammar Moussa, Hannah Valenzuela, Craig Lutz And Blake Russell Before 2011 World XC
- Brent Vaughn And Magdalena Lewy Boulet Named Captains For Team USA
Other Nationals *NCAA D3 Champs *NCAA D2 Champs *HS Nationals Results *Photos
HS: Lukas V. Runs Away From The Top Milers To Complete Historic High School Nationals Triple His double on Sunday was super-impressive, but we had completely forgotten about German
8:34 double at the California state meet.
*IAAF Article On Verzbicas
We Wrote This Article Too Soon:
Gerry Lindgren's Legendary 47-Year-Old High School National Record Survives Scare From Lukas Verzbicas And Edward Cheserek Verzbicas hammered home over the final lap to pull away from Cheserek, but in the end, Lindgren's 8:40.0 lived to see another day, as Verzbicas ran 8:40.70 and Cheserek shattered the high school indoor and overall sophomore class records with his 8:42.66. More: Gerry Lindgren 8:40 indoors *LRC MB Lukas V. 8:40.7!! *LRC MB So close *Running Times Q&A With Lindgren About His 8:40.0 Note: This article incorrectly implies the record was set in a 16-lap race.
*Lucas Verzbicas (14:06.78) & (Waverly Neer) 16:35.15 Set National HS 5,000 Records
*Aisling Cuffe Runs #2 Time Ever For 2 Miles At New Balance Nationals
US 15k: Mo Trafeh And Jen Rhines Continue Winning Ways At Gate River Run staugustine.com
*Top Results Ben True, the guy who arguably had as much talent as Galen Rupp in high school (True skied in the winter, Rupp trained like a pro), continues to improve and was second on the men's side.
*Official USA 15K Gate River Run Championship Thread
LRC Chat: *Verzbicas 14:06i High School Record! *D2 and D3 DMR's.... Really??
Sally Meyerhoff News
- Recommended Read: Sally Meyerhoff Left A Positive Impression On Arizona Journalist Jeff Metcalfe Before she died, Meyerhoff was very happy with where she was in her life.
- Famed Announcer Toni Reavis Writes A Poem About Sally Meyerhoff
- Sally Meyerhoff's Death Felt At High School Meet In Arizona Her former HS teammate, who is now coach, broke down in tears as she handed out blue ribbons (in honor of Duke) to the current athletes on the team.
- US 25k Elite Athlete Coordinator And Former Boston Marathon Champ Greg Meyer Devastated By Meyerhoff's Death He says Meyerhoff was the life of the party the year she won her US title and danced up a storm at Grand Rapids' Crush Nightclub.
- Meyerhoff's Fatal Cycling Accident One Of Roughly 700 Each Year
Tokyo Marathon: A Legend Is Born *Photos
Hailu Mekonnen Wins, Japanese Amateur Yuki Kawauchi Runs Amazing 2:08:37 For 3rd And Faints At Finish Yuki Kawauchi's story is amazing.
A 13:59 5ker and 29:02 10ker, he has a full-time job and has stayed away from the Japanese collegiate and professional system, yet he stunned all of Japan with a 2:08:37 run. Dreams do become reality.
*On The Boards: 13:59 5k, 29:02 10k Japanese AMATEUR Runs 2:08:37 at Tokyo Marathon and Passes Out
*Yuki Kawauchi Is "The Rocky Of The Marathon World" *He will race at World Champs by taking vacation days from his full-time job.
*Japanese Federation Feeling Impact Of Kawauchi's Run
*Summary Of Post-Race Press Conference
*Chilean Miner Edison Pena Runs 5:08:19 In Tokyo, 30-Minute PR
Records For Rupp And Farah *Video Of Rupp's And Farah's Race
Galen Rupp & Mo Farah Set National 5k Records!
(13:11.44 and 13:10.60) The two Alberto Salazar-coached athletes put on a brave battle, with Farah coming out on top on the last lap, as Rupp regained his American record from Bernard Lagat by .06. Rupp and Farah will be training together through 2012 and their partnership is off to a strong start. Rupp is scheduled to go for the American 10k record next week in New Zealand. The meet also saw a cool 400m hurdles race (video
here or on the right), an 8:30 3k and American Morgan Uceny going sub-2:00 in the 800.
*Mo Farah Breaks British 5,000m Record With His New Coach Alberto Salazar One Of The 8,000 In Attendance Telegraph.co.uk
*Farah Credits Salazar's Coaching
*Rupp/Farah 5k Video
The 10 Best High School XC Runners Ever
LRC Week That Was: The 10 Best High School XC Runners Of All Time, Verzbicas, Tribute To Gary Reed, The NY Times & The NE Patriots And More We've got the entire running world covered from San Diego to Japan, from the high school ranks to the pros, and even talk about the NE Patriots and the NY Times.
Blows At World XC (More Info Here)
Women's World XC In Photos
Men's World XC In Photos
Ritz's Injury Is Serious
Dathan Ritzenhein Has Surgery On His Achilles And Has Neuroma Removed On Other Foot The good news is Ritz saw the same surgeon Paula Radclife saw for her foot surgery (and the unofficial West Coast LRC surgeon Amol Saxena
Rojo's Achilles surgery)).
On The Boards: Ritz under the knife
Our Sport Has Its History
The Greatest Comeback Ever?
Jordan Hasay After Leading Oregon To Victory
Train Smarter (More In The Training Forum)
- Wow, Lydiard training seems ridiculously hard
- best marathon improvement after age 40?
- How does "strength" differ from "speed" and "endurance" as a runner?
- "A runner needs a LT run every 2 to 5 days in order to not lose any aerobic ability."
Last 250m Of Melbourne 5,000m With Post-Race Interviews With The Stars (Lagat, Solinsky, Tegenkamp, Bumbalough, Mottram, St. Lawrence)
Definitely Worth A Read
Hall Of Fame Running Back And Olympic 400m Bronze Medalist (46.8) Ollie Matson Dies Our sport's history is amazing, as is Matson's story. He was on the 1951 Univ. of San Francisco team that he called the "greatest of all time" (they went undefeated and are the only college football team with 3 future NFL Hall of Famers on it). However, there was one "problem" with the team. It had two black players on it. That meant bowl inviations only if the black players didn't play. The team said no, the team lost $70,000 and the school CANCELLED football the next year. Amazing. Great Frank Litsky writeup.
Last 800m (Or Full Race) Of Galen Rupp's American Record Run In Britain
This Is Awesome: Indoor 400m Hurdles At Aviva Birmingham Meet
Training Talk Is Back
Training Talk With New Marathon Star Stephanie Rothstein And Ben Bruce Stephanie lowered her marathon PR by over 10 minutes, skipping the 2:30s entirely, running 2:29:35 in Houston. And she's still got her sights on lowering it another 10 minutes. Textual recap coming later, but you can listen above or download the podcast here (1:30).
Last 250 (Or Full Race - Rewind It) Of Dejen Gebremeskel Outkicking Mo Farah In Boston With 1 Shoe
Save Some Cash
Two Of The Best Running Movies Of All Time (Don't Believe Us? Click Here)
800m Royalty Together For The First Time Ever: Juantorena, Coe, Kipketer And Rudisha (It's Well Worth A Watch If You Have The Time, Or Read The Recap Here)
Save Some Cash
- Long run, 25% of your weekly mileage?
- 5x1 mile repeats with 1:1 work/rest ratio, 10k time?
- Marathon Training Thread - Week Ending 10/17
- Could I break 33 mins. in the 10k based on this workout
- Does anybody here train using Daniels Running Formula
Universal Sports Back To Top