Bekele And Blake Out Of Worlds?
- Kenenisa Bekele Wins Belgium 10k In 27:46; Probably Won't Be Selected For Ethiopian Worlds Team(translated, link fixed) He said when the pacemaker dropped out at 5,000m, it was too difficult to set the pace on his own in the wind. He won the "unofficial" Ethiopian Trials at Pre Classic, but three other Ethiopians have run faster than him elsewhere this year - Dejen Gebremeskel (26:51.02), Abera Kuma (26:52.85) and Imane Merga (26:57.33).
- Jamaican Observer Reports Yohan Blake Out With "Sensitive Injury" That Will Require Surgery; Won't Defend His 100m World Title They report they were told this by a "senior athletics official."
- Blake's Agent Claims There Are No Discussions Of Surgery And They Haven't Made A Decision About Missing World Champs
Other Non-Birmingham Weekend Action: Geoffrey Mutai Beats Wilson Kipsang Over 10k
- Geoffrey Mutai Wins Road 10k In Holland In 27:37 (Video Interview); Wilson Kipsang Was 3rd (28:01) He says he wants to try to make the Kenyan World team in the 10k. *Race Video
- RRW Recap Of Final Day Of USA Club Championships
- One Run for Boston Relay Run From LA, California To Boston Will Finish On Monday
- IAAF Recap Of European Cup Combined Events Champs: France Wins Over Russia In Team Competition France's Kevin Mayer won the decathlon and Poland's Karolina Tyminska the heptathlon.
- USATF Final Day Recap Of US Youth Championships
- Enock Omwamba Leads Yamanashi Gakuin University To Win National University Ekiden Champoinships Kanto Region Qualifier In Tokyo
- World Leading Times At Lake Saroma 100k/50k Ultra In Japan
International News: Coe Says It's OK To Have A Couple Of Beers If You Run 100 Miles/Week
- Seb Coe Q&A With Esquire "When you're running a hundred miles a week, a couple of beers after a day's training isn't a problem. I think we've got rather obsessed with diet."
- Good NY Times Tribute Article To 1956 Olympic Marathon Champoin Alain Mimoun Include quotes from Mimoun about his interactions with Emil Zatopek.
- South African Athletes Will Now Be Able To Compete At The World University Games As University Sports South Africa (USSA) Have Pulled Out Of South African Sports Confederation And Olympic Comittee (SASCOC) SASCOC refused to send a track and field team because they have suspended Athletics South Africa, so USSA just pulled out of SASCOC.
Solomon Vs. Symmonds Highlights Edmonton *Results
- Nick Symmonds Edges Duane Solomon At Edmonton International Track Classic (Results) 1:44.86 to 1:44.91. Michael Rutt was 3rd. Ryan Wilson beat Jason Richardson in the 110H.
- Lolo Jones Wins 100H In Wind-Aided 12.49 As Olympic Silver Medallist Luguelin Santos Won The 400 In 45.81 Paul Kipsiele Koech won the steeple in 8:16.71, Sanya Richards-Ross was 3rd in the 400 with 51.77. Maggie Vessey was 2nd in the 800 with 2:02.28.
- Jamaica's Warren Weir Wins 200 With Wind-Aided 19.90, Becoming The First Ever To Go Sub-20 In Canada
- Nick Symmonds Calls For Booze And Gambling At Track Meets "This holy, virgin image of track and field as this pure, untainted sport vanished a long time ago. Today's culture doesn't appreciate the subtle nuances of the men's 1,500 metres. ... I'm about as diehard a track fan as you're going to find and I don't want to sit out under the sun for eight hours to watch a really slow, poorly run track meet. I certainly don’t want to do it on a Saturday afternoon without a beer in my hand." *Video
- On The Boards: Symmonds Over Solomon
Monday In Canada: Preliminary Start List For The July 1st Jerome Classic 1,500 has Nate Brannen, Jeremy Rae and Americans Mac Fleet, Matt Elliot, Craig Miller and Trevor Dunbar.
State Of The Sport
At The Paddock": Texas Distance Runner Joe Stilin Talks About His Disappointment And Frustration At Being Rejected From The USA 5k Field That Only Had 9 Guys
"The name of the meet says it all - The United States Track and Field Championships - so why did the 5,000 final include such an alarmingly small fraction of the talent in the country? ... The meet should help younger guys
gain experience and exposure. Instead, the race ended up being a jog fest for Nike's athletes in front of a small crowd."
*More: Mick Byrne On USATF Not Filling 5,000m Field: "Someone in USA Track and Field is not doing their job, it's that simple."
- Someone Is Not Doing Their Job: GB Hurdler Tiffany Porter Says She's Inspired By Brianna Rollins' Performance At USAs But She Didn't Get To Watch It Because The Live Feed Cut Away During The Race You have a stacked race with Rollins, Kellie Wells and Lolo Jones and that is what gets cut out of the live feed? Probably to show someone receiving their award on the medal stand. Ridiculous.
International: VCB's "B" Sample, Yelena Isinbayeva Wants To Start A Family
- JAAA Says That They're Still Waiting For The Official Result Of Veronica Campbell Brown's "B" Sample Before Moving Forward According to this Jamaica Gleaner article, the results came back two weeks ago and the "B" was positive.
- Yelena Isinbayeva Thinking About Taking A Year Off After 2013 To Get Married And Have A Baby
- Did St. Kitts & Nevis Sprinter Kim Collins Apologize To His Federation For The Olympics Last Year? In London, they ridiculously suspended him from the Games for spending the night outside the Olympic village with his wife. They should be the ones apologizing to him.
- Valerie Adams Proud Of Her Brother Getting Drafted In The NBA
- 2012 World Junior 200m Champion Delano Williams Officially Transfers Allegiance To GB
- IAAF Profile On Venezuelan Youth PVer Robeilys Peinado, Who Leads Youth Performances This Year With 4.35m
- Daily Relay 5 Questions With Former 400 Hurdler Turned Top US 800 Runner Brandon Johnson It seems that after his run at USAs, he now has a sponsorship with Nike, not only gear.
- Jordan Hasay's And Tara Erdmann's Attempt At The 10k "A" Standard Moved From July 17th To July 15th; Will Be At Roosevelt HS In Portland The backup date for the attempt - in case weather conditions are poor or one of the runners is ill - is July 19.
- Lolo Jones Stirs Another Controversy On Twitter With Criticism Of Rachel Jeantel From George Zimmerman Trial
- One Missed During USAs Last Weekend: Pat Rizzo Won Seattle RnR Half In 1:05:58 Australian World Championships marathoner Shawn Forrest ran with Rizzo early, but finished 3rd in 1:09:03.
- 15:14 5k Runner Jackie Areson Switching Allegiance From The US To Australia Ahead Of The World Championships She ran at the US Trials last year, but only because she had been advised not to switch to a foreign country right out of college for sponsorship reasons. Her latest attempt at the "A" standard was a miss as she ran won her race in Biblo Spain last weekend, but ran 15:39.
- Khadevis Robinson's Take On Men's 800 At USA Outdoors
- USA 200m Runner-Up, Ole Miss's Isiah Young, Signs Pro Contract With Nike
- Sanya Richards-Ross And Christian Taylor Among Stars To Support Special Demonstration Of IAAF Kids' Athletics/Nestle Healthy Kids Project In Vevey, Switzerland on July 5th.
- USATF Recap Day 4 Of US Youth Champs
US News: Teg Does The Marathon
- Matt Tegenkamp To Make His Marathon Debut At Chicago 2013
- Post USAs Kara Goucher Blog Post: "You Can't Always Get What You Want"
- Arcadia HS Cross Coach Jim O'Brien Fired After Painting X's On Broken Lockers To Prevent Theft Based on this RW article, that was the immediate reason, but his conflict with administration at the school goes way back. Athletes and parents are protesting the decision.
- Running USA 2013 State Of The Sport - Part II: Running Industry Sales Report
Random International Stuff
- Another Doping Scandal Hits Turkey As 8 More Athletes Test Positive
- Mo Farah Goes To Wimbledon And Fails To Catch Ball Going Out Of Bounds
- Farah Might Have Broken Wimbledon Rules By Using Phone To Film Match
- Oscar P Has Resumed Training
- Haile G To Receive AIPS Power Of Sport Award In Lausanne On Sunday
- Kenya's Edward Waweru Runs 7:47.02 3k To Highlight Start Of Japan's Hokuren Distance Challenge
- Cayman Islands Javelin Thrower Alex Pascal Won't Have His Record Throw Count As Measuring Equipment Wasn't Up To IAAF Standards
- USATF Recap Of Day Three Of USA Youth Outdoor Championship
- USATF Announces World Youth Team
- 3-Time Georgia State Meet Champion Kendell Williams Named Gatorade Girls' Track And Field Athlete Of The Year
6 - Just Found 2 More - Make That 8 - Interesting Reads
You Likely Didn't See This During USAs Toni
Reavis Catches Up With Lukas V's Coach - 1984 Olympic 800 Champ Joaquim Cruz -
As Cruz Talks About Verzbicas In Middle Of His 31:30 10k
Pros Marco Anzures And Fiancee Natasha LaBeaud Have Started 2nd Recess - A Fitness Group/Track Club For Kids In San Diego *2nd Recess Site
Recommended Read: Meet USATF's Rags-To-Riches Hero Matt Elliott - The Total Unknown Who Snagged Fourth In 1,500 Getting 4th was amazing but his life story sounds even better. He teaches K-3rd grade for kids who have all been "removed from their homes because of abuse, abandonment, neglect." A recommended read and his post-race tearful video interview is a must-watch as well.
*MB: Official good job Matt Elliott thread
Cute Story (Some Might Say TMI) Everything You Want To Know About The Ashton Eaton And Brianna Theisen Romance - First Kiss, Date, Etc. Their first kiss came at Pan Am juniors in Brazil. First date? Olive Garden when Eaton made a mix CD and bought roses.
Australia's Marathon Champ Scott Westcott Withdraws From Worlds As Aussies Won't Let Him Skip Part Of Camp So He Cam Help His Wife With His Three Kids Under The Age Of 6
Win At USAs Was Sweet Vindication For An Un-Sponsored Nicole Bush And Her Furman Elite Team New Balance is now offering a stipend.
Calabar High School Coach Michael Clarke Said He's "Honoured" To Be Jamaica's Health Coach For Moscow USATF should consider having high school coaches "coach" the US team instead of it having college coaches use it to pad their resumes after kissing up to USATF officials for years to get the "honor."
If Georgia State Student Gets 150,000 Re-Tweets, He Gets A Date With Lolo Jones
Administrative Reports Of Note
- WADA's 2012 Annual Report Is Released Someone read it for us and tell us what's newsworthy.
- 2013 State Of The Sport - Part II: Running Industry Report - Participation And Shoe Sales At Record High; Charity Fund-Raising Down Shoe sales were up 23% to $3.04 billion.
- Brianna Rollins Is USATF Athlete Of The Week
- More from Australia: Australia Only Has 8 Track Athletes With The IAAF "A" For Moscow
- 21-Year-Old British PVaulter Holly Bleasdale Ditching Dan Pfaff, Going To Ttrain Full-Time In Cardiff She had been splitting her time between AZ and Wales.
- NYRR And UAE May Put On A 2nd Healthy Kidney 10k In UAE
- Forbes.com: Should Mary Cain Go Pro? We almost always say no, but in this case we say yes. She hasn't been on a HS team in ages.
2013 USAs Are In The Books *Results *LRC Video Interviews *Check Your Scores *LRC Thursday Photos *LRC Friday Photos *LRC Saturday Photos *LRC Sunday Photos
UCF Sophomore Octavious Freeman Going Pro After Finishing Runner-Up In The 100 At US Champs As She Signs With Icon Management According to this article, a part of the reason she'll be passing up her
remaining 2 years of eligibility is UCF coach Caryl Smith Gilbert is leaving for the University of Southern California.
*Who Is Actually On The US Worlds Team? Uncertainty In Some Events Will Last Until The Window Closes On July 20th As Athletes Chase Standards
*Coach John Drummond Thinks A Healthy Tyson Gay Can Win Championships Even Against Bolt Drummond: "You're now seeing the Tyson of 2007. You're seeing a mature, focused, committed guy who's been through a lot of issues and (injuries), one after the other. It can be heartbreaking, but he stayed the course and stayed focus. The end result is what we see right now."
*Rick Suhr Sees Yelena Isinbaeva As World Champs Favorite
*USTFCCCA Looks At 2013 Collegians' Performances At USAs An unexpected highlight had to be Ryan Hill making it in the 5k.
- Spanish Distance Runners Arrested In Drug Bust Getting Caught With Anabolic Steroids, EPO And HGH Three of the four include former national 10,000m champion Ricardo Serrano and Álvaro Lozano.
- Brit MD Runner Lynsey Sharp Admits Doping In The Sport Among Her Rivals Almost Made Her Quit She finished 2nd in Euro 800, but was upgraded to 1st after Russia's Yelena Arzhakova tested positive. Sharp: "It definitely crossed my mind a couple of times - what's the point in doing this if that's what I'm up against? But I've worked so hard, I've been in the sport since I was eight and I'm not going to give up because somebody else is doing something they shouldn't be doing. It's encouraging that I was able to compete against people like that."
New adidas Shoe Features Plastic Springs They supposedly are designed to increase energy return and propel a runner forward.
Weekend Results You Likely Didn't See
LSU's NCAA Champs Natoya Goule Of LSU Was Star Of Day 3 Of Jamaican Champs As She Broke 2:00.00 For 1st Time At 1:59.93
*Bazu Worku (2:11:14) And Sarah Kiptoo (2:26:31 CR) Won Grandma's Marathon
*2:25 Wins NZealand Men's Marathon Champs
*Christine Ohuruogu's Relay Heroics Not Quite Enough To Secure Win For GB At European Team Championships
*GB Finished Third
*Russia Won Team Title, Germany 2nd
*Veterans Were Key To Russian Team Success
*Jessica Ennis-Hill Still Injured, Pulls Out Of Another Meet
- 1997 TDF Winner Jan Ullrich Admits Doping
- Related? Brad Wiggins May Never Do TDF Again Even Though He Won Last Year
2013 USA Outdoor Champs *Results *LRC Video Interviews *Check Your Scores *LRC Thursday Photos *LRC Friday Photos *LRC Saturday Photos *LRC Sunday Photos
Men's 5,000: Bernard
Lagat Outkicks Galen Rupp To Win The Men's
1,500m 5,000m The men's 5,000m was extremely slow for a high school race until the final mile when it became very fast. It was set up perfectly for the 38-year-old former miler Bernard Lagat, who is healthy and with his speed in 2013, and national champion once again. NC State's Ryan Hill was the big surprise in 3rd. Recap/analysis/results/interviews.
OTB: A Hypothetical: What IF Lagat Is 27 And Galen Is 38?
LRC Women's 5,000: Jenny Simpson Gets The Win In Her First 5k In Two Years Over American Record Holder Molly Huddle, As Rowbury Guts It Out for 3rd Jenny Simpson was the 1,500m World Champion in 2011, but we don't think she's ever been running better as a pro at this time of year, than she is now as she won the 5,000m title over American record holder Molly Huddle. Miler Shannon Rowbury appeared cooked with 300m to go but had a furious final 200m to get 3rd.
OTB: Shannon Rowbury Deserves Huge Props For That 5k Today
LRC Sunday Photos
- Sunday USAs On The Boards:
- DADDY CAN STILL KICK - Lagat OBLITERATES Rupp
- Ryan MFin Hill!
- Is Will Leer kicking himself for not running the 5000m?
- Leading, pushing the pace and winning - Simpson, 800 winners, Jager - Just today. Leading's often good.
- ABBEY GOES HOME DEVASTATED
- Gay Steps on Line in Semi and Not DQd?
- Wisco Coach Mick Byrne on USATF Not Filling 5000m Field: "Someone in USA Track and Field is not doing their job, it's that simple."
- Sunday Post-Race Interviews
Saturday Sprints/Field: Brianna Rollins Breaks Gail Devers' American Record, Lolo Jones Goes Home As 3 Women's American Records Set Rollins was just .05 off the world record. Michelle Carter broke the American record in the shot put and Amanda Bingson got the hammer on Day 3.
- HJ: Brigetta Barrett Sets World Best 2.04 But Does Not Attempt American Record In HJ
- LaShawn Merritt Wins 400m, Michael Tinsley Gets 400m Hurdles
- Illness Keeps New Pro Kori Carter Out Of Hurdles Semis Ato Boldon said she was a gold medal threat.
- Tyson Gay Wins His 200m Heat At USATFs
- Former World 100m Champ Lauryn Williams Retires *Photo Of Williams In Final Race
- LRC Photos
Saturday Non-USAs *US Half Results
- Kenyan Champs: Geoffrey Mutai Wins 10,000m At Kenyan Champs, May Run It At Worlds IAAF It was also announced Abel Kirui and Wilson Kipsang will not run the Worlds marathon. The Kenyan Champs are separate from the Kenyan Trials next month for Worlds.
- US Half Champs: Mo Trafeh Over Meb Keflezighi, Adriana Nelson Over Desi Davila Meb and Desi continue to take positive steps coming back from injury. $12,000 for the winners. More on Nelson's first USA title here.
- Euro Team Champs: Farah 50.89 Last Lap In A 14:10 5k
- Dai Greene Upset At European Team Champs
- T&T: Kelly-Ann Baptiste Runs 10.83 At T&T Champs
Gay Is Back: 5 Years Since Last Crown, He Wins USATF 100m Crown Over Gatlin In 9.75 Gay overcame a bad start to defeat Justin Gatlin in a quick 9.75. Nice read by SI's Tim Layden. *Race Video
LRC Friday Photos
- Lolo Jones Runs 12.50 Stadium Record In Semis, Brianna Rollins Runs Wind-Aided 12.33 She also talks about the half empty stadium.
- Former Oregon Ducks English Gardner Runs World-Leading 10.85 Too Win USATFs *Race Video
- Mixed Reviews From Sprinters On Running Into Mat At End Of 100m
- Ashton Eaton Taking It Easy In Decathlon As He Has Tendinitis *Video Highlights Of Eaton
- Iowan AJ Kruger Wins Hammer
- Mary Cain An Effervescent 17-Year-Old
- Usain Bolt Wins Jamaican Champs In 9.94 Into Wind, Asafa Powell Fails To Qualify
- *Jamaican Trials Results *Jamaican Trials Photos
- Dayron Robles Will Not Run Worlds As Dispute With Cuban Federation Continues
- Brits At Euro Team Champs This Weekend
- Lemaitre: "It's about my speed, not my skin colour."
- Former World Record Holder In Decathlon, Roman Sebrle, Retires
Day 1 USA Coverage
For The Thumb: Galen Rupp Gets His 5th Consecutive US 10k Title After Ritz Shakes Up Race A resurgent Dathan Ritzenhein said he believed he was going to win the 10,000m title on Thursday night, but Galen Rupp tossed those beliefs aside as he won his 5th straight USATF title as Chris Derrick got third. Recap, results, analysis and post-race video interviews.
*RRW *Full Race Video
Ritz: "I really believed I was going to win the race ..." He talks about getting faster, being better than Rupp and Farah at the longer stuff and the sub-27 bucket list.
LRC Thursday Photos (link fixed)
Jordan Hasay Joins Nike Oregon Project
Al Sal will be coaching her.
LRC Women's 1,500: Does Mary Cain Make It To Moscow? What About Past Champions Uceny, Rowbury Or Moser? Picking the first two is easy. The question is who wins, and who gets third?
*South Bend Tribune: No longer the miler to beat - Uceny battling to return to elite form
*Competitor.com Profile Of 2-Time Cancer Survivor: Gabriele Anderson Continues Beating The Odds
*After Not Setting A 1,500 PR For 7 Years, Treniere Moser Is Having A Breakthrough Year After Switching Coaches To Alberto Salazar
LRC Women's Steeplechase Preview: With Defending Champ Emma Coburn Out, Moscow Spots Are There For The Taking Picking the first two is easy. The question is who wins, and who gets third?
*Star Tribune: Minnesota Steeplechaser Jamie Cheever Aims For Spot In World Championships With Coburn injured, Cheever has the top seed after her big 22-second PR (9:29) at Stanford earlier this year.
*Carrie Tollefson Interview With Cheever
LRC Women's 800 Preview: Montaño, Martinez And Then Who? Picking the first two is easy. The question is who wins, and who gets third?
*RRW: With Help From Coach Joe Vigil, Brenda Martinez Confident Going Into USA Championships
2013 Pre Classic *Friday Full Results *Saturday Full Results *Individual Event Results *LRC Post-Race Video Interviews
Friday Night: Women's 800: LRC Phoebe Wright Gets The Win, Ajee Wilson's Winning Streak Comes To An End And Gabrielle Anderson PRs Wright ran 2:00.85 as Wilson was 3rd (2:01.24).
Friday Night: RRW/LRC Rabbits Falter, Kenenisa Bekele Outkicks Merga For 27:12 WinThe 13:18 first 5k never materialized. In the end, Bekele was better than everyone else over the last 200 but he's got some work to do to scare Mo Farah.
Men's International Mile: LRC James Magut Wins, No HS Sub-4 As Will Leer Gets Top American Honors, As Andrew Wheating Runs "Scared" It was a little windy and the times disappointed, but the post-race interviews with Leer, Wheating and Montoya certainly didn't as they were full of insight.
Men's National 1,500: LRC Men's National 1,500: Garrett Heath Wins, Chris Solinsky's Lacking Speed And Alan Webb Struggles But Is HappyGarrett Heath got the win, but our focus in what was basically the "C" heat was firmly on the two Olympians and American record holders (one former, one current) in Webb and Solinsky. Neither ran fast. Webb was next-to-last in 3:45, but even more stunning than that time was the fact that the famously impatient Webb, who is on his fourth coach in four years, was very upbeat afterwards. *Alan Webb Interview
Diamond League Resumes On Sunday In Birmingham *Birmingham Results *Birmingham Race Video Highlights
*BBC Meet Recap *IAAF Meet Recap
LRC Mo Farah Wins A Thrilling 5,000m Over Alamirew And Gebrhiwet To Show Who Is Boss Track and field does not get much better than this. Packed house - check. Three best in the world battling the final 300m - check. Hometown hero re-emerging as the Worlds favorite - check. Mo Farah blastest a 1:51 final 800m for the win in a great race.
*Farah Says The Three Ethiopians Worked Together And Were Even "Talking Between Each Other" During The Race Talking about future races, he said, "They tried to race me on the last lap today. [Now] they know they don't want to leave it to the last lap. So they'll probably sacrifice someone to go hard somewhere. Even today the three guys were talking between each other."
*The Guardian: Farah Digs Deep To Win DL 5,000
LRC Jessica Judd Breaks 2:00.00 - 18-Year-Old British Phenom Wins 2013 Sainsbury's Grand Prix In 1:59.85 Mary Cain and Ajee' Wilson watch out, the Brits have their own teenage phenom.
*18-Year-Old Judd Says She Was So Nervous Before Birmingham That She Even Thought About Pulling Out "I got really nervous. I felt, 'I don't want to go out there. I don't want to do it.' I was worried because I was thinking that maybe last week [the victory at Euro Team Champs] was just a one-off. But when I set some personal bests in training in the week, I told myself, 'Maybe it's just because I'm running well.'"
LRC The Rest Of The Meet: Aregawi Comes From Behind To Win, Wote Over Iguider, And Chemos And Aman Continue To Roll Abebe Aregawi found herself behind in the women's 1,500 with 200 to go but she got the wind as many of the other big names like Jamal, Uceny, Dobriskey and England struggled. In the men's 1,500, no Brits got the "B" standard but Chris O'Hare was the top British finisher after a compromised trip. Plus men's 800 and women's steeple.
- More: AP Recap: Nigeria's Blessing Okagbare Upstages Favorites Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce And Cermelita Jeter To Win 200; Fraser-Pryce Was 2nd, Jeter Last Nesta Carter won the men's 100 in 9.99. 10.01 17-year-old Japanese sprinter was last in his heat in 10.55 and failed to make the final.
- GB's Rhys Williams Psyched To Finish 2nd In 400 Hurdles Behind Javier Culson; Michael Tinsley Was 3rd, Dai Greene 5th And Felix Sanchez 7th Greene was upset with his race, saying, "It's a bit worrying and disappointing. I'll go back to the drawing board, chat to my coach and speak to the doctors, just to make sure I'm not suffering from a virus."
- EA Recap: French TJ Teddy Tamgho Records Only One Legal Jump, But It's Enough To Get Him 2nd To Christian Taylor
- List Of US Performances *AW Looks At GB Performances *Twitter Play-By-Play
- Birmingham On The Boards
- MB: Live Discussion Thread The men's 1,500 produced zero "B" qualifiers for the Brits, including O'Hare and Emanuel. 18-year-old Jessica Judd has broken 2:00 in 800.
- MB: Birmingham 5000 Discussion Thread: Farah Wins Over Alamirew and Hagos
- MB: FARAH OVER ALAMIREW - 53.4 LAST LAP!!
- MB: MO OFF TO ST. MORITZ NOW FOR ALTITUDE
- MB: Do you think Farah will get Knighted?
- MB: Silly gesture by Farah
- MB: DUCK ALERT: Rupp is DUCKING the Diamond League while his rivals (even Farah) are racing it
- MB: What was Gebrhiwet thinking?
- MB: O'Hare will get 'A' standard this weekend
- MB: Chris O'Hare's cool Scottish singlet (Pic)
LRC Preview Mo Farah Will Have His Hands Full In A Fantastic Men's 5,000 We break down the mid-d and distance action like only we can. There is
a scintillating men's 5,000 where
Mo Farah will have to earn his $$$ this time as he faces the top two in the world in Hagos Gebrhiwet and Yenew Alamirew. Plus Abebe Aregawi (and Morgan Uceny) in the women's 1,500, Mo Aman in the 800, a men's 1,500 (with Lee Emanuel and Chris O'Hare), and a women's steeple and 800.
*Press Conference Highlights: Quotes From Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce, Carmelita Jeter, Sally Pearson, Aries Merritt And Greg Rutherford Sally Pearson on Brianna Rollins' WLing 12.26: "Brianna's time is bloody fast. I think it shows one of us can break the world record. I hope I'm the one to do it but I think we can step up."
*Olympic LJ Champ Greg Rutherford Was Dropped By Nike After The Games And Has Created His Own Kit And Logo To Compete In And Sell He's called it "GRavity" and says, "Hopefully, it will prove to be a good investment. I am just trying to make the best of a bad situation, really."
*Aries Merritt Talks About Battling Back From Injury To Scrape His Way Onto The Team For The US Championships He was only able to start hurdling a week before the meet.
*SA's Khotso Mokoena Faces Deep LJ Field In Birmingham, Including Olympic Champ Greg Rutherford And Russian World No 1 Aleksandr Menkov Also US's past Olympic champ Dwight Phillips.
*European Athletics Preview
*IAAF Preview: Carmelita Jeter Vs. Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce In 100 Men's 100 has 10.01 Japanese runner Yoshihide Kiryu vs. Isiah Young, Michael Rodgers and Nesta Carter. Erik Kynard takes on Olympic bronze medallist Robbie Grabarz and Jesse Williams in HJ.
*Mo Farah Will Face His Biggest Test Yet As He Faces Top Ethiopians Hagos Gebrhiwet, Yenew Alamirew & Ibrahim Jeilan In Birmingham 5k "This is the big one. This is where the business end of the season starts for me. It’s a very strong field. I've been looking forward to this race since my disappointment in Eugene at the start of the month."
*Good IAAF Blog Entry By Jenn Suhr On Her Season And Looking Forward To Moscow Ahead Of Competing In Birmingham Sunday Talking about USAs: "Call me superstitious, but the best way to end up watching the World Championships on television is to assume you are going to be there before you actually qualify."
Other Weekend Action
- Kenya's 2013 World XC Junior Silver Medalist Leonard Barsoton Runs 27:33.13 In 10k Debut At Hokuren Distance Challenge Fukagawa In Japan He narrowly beat out Jeremiah Karemin who ran 27:33.38.
- Former World Junior Record Holder Almaz Ayana Wins Ethiopian Championships Steeplechase Title In 10:02
- Philemon Baaru Defends His Title, Winning The Safaricom Lewa Marathon In Kenya In 2:20:50 Fridah Lodepa won for the women in 2:48:41.
- Video Recap Of Aussie Victorian Open XC Champs: Craig Mottram Finished 3rd
*Video Interview With Mottram And Fellow Olympian Lee Troop (Who Was 6th Place)
- Brit Jonnie Peacock Wins IPC Athletics Grand Prix Series Finale 100m In 10.90, Only.05 Off His Own WR
- IAAF Recap Of Mediterranean Games
- IAAF Recap Of Day 1 Of The European Cup Combined Events Championships: France's Kevin Mayer And Ukraine's Hanna Melnychenko Are Individual Leaders France leads the team scores.
US Youth News
- RRW: Close Races Highlight First Day Of USA Club Nationals
- USATF Recap Of Day Five Of US Youth Championships
- Rain Suspends Day Five Of US Youth Outdoor Championships
- Oscar P's Agent Talks About Oscar's "Emotional" Return To The Track In His First Official Training Session Since The Murder
*Video Of Pistorius Jogging On Track
- Ethiopian Champs: Pre-Race Favorite Senbere Teferi Wins 5,000 At Ethiopian Championships
*Israel Aweke And Mantegbosh Melese Were The Comfortable Winners Of The Men's And Women's 800 Titles
- 2004 Olympic Hammer Silver Medalist Esref Apak Among The 8 Latest Turkish Athletes Who Tested Positive At The European Championships
- Not Surprising: Study Finds Kenyan Teens Are Extremely Active And Perform Exceptionally High On Fitness/VO2 Max Tests The study concluded that "highly active and energy-demanding lifestyle of rural Kenyan adolescents may account for their exceptional aerobic fitness and collectively prime them for later training and athletic success."
- Valerie Adams' Brother Goes No. 12 In NBA Draft
- IAAF Preview Of This Weekend's European Cup Combined Events Championships: Russia Looking To Defend Their Men And Women's Team Titles
Mid-Week Action In Ostrava & Sollentuna *Ostrava Results *Sollentuna Results
- Ostrava: Results
- LRC 2013 Ostrava Analysis: Kenenisa Bekele Is Finished As A Threat On The Track, Evan Jager's And Galen Rupp's Medal Chances Go Way Up Galen Rupp and Evan Jager were far from Ostrava but they had to like what they
saw as Kenenisa Bekele was beaten by three guys, including Lawi Lalang.
MB: Kennster is Finished
MB: Bekele is NOT done
- LRC Tirunesh Dibaba Stays Undefeated At 10,000 And Picks Up 30:26.67 Win In Ostrava Many of the key competitors for Shalane Flanagan likely emerged here. Her time was a world lead for a few hours until Defar crushed it (see below).
- IAAF Full Meet Recap: Mohamed Aman Won The 800 (1:43.78) Kirani James The 400 (44.49), Valerie Adams The SP With A World Lead In the women's steeple, the pacemaker dropped out right before a water barrier confusing some athletes and causing some to crash into the barrier. Milcah Chemos took advantage and won in 9:17.72 over Hiwot Ayalew's 9:19.87.
- Asafa Powell Wins 100m In Ostrava ... Twice He ran 9.97 to win the first one, not realizing that there had been a very late false start called and they ended up re-running the race. He won again in the second race with 10.04 over Kim Collins. Yelena Isinbayeva won the PV in 4.78 as Olympic champion Renaud Lavillenie won in 5.92m.
- Sally Pearson Wins 100 Hurdles In 12.67 In Her First Hurdles Race In 11 Months "The time is a good sign for the world championships in Moscow, but I definitely wanted to run faster."
- Pearson Blogs Her Thoughts After Her Season Opener
- Olympic Champ Krisztian Pars And WR Holder Betty Heidler Win Ostrava Hammer Throw Challenge
Sollentuna Folksam GP: *Results
- LRC Dejen Gebremeskel Gets Win And World-Leading 26:51.02 In His 10,000 Debut On The Track Mo Farah and Galen Rupp now will have to contend with a 12:48 stud in Moscow.
- LRC Meseret Defar Throws Down The Gauntlet To Tirunesh Dibaba And Runs 30:08.06 10,000 Defar is now the world leader by a lot at 5,000 and 10,000. In other action on the track, Ayanleh Suleiman won the 800 in 1:43.63 and Garrett Heath ran
for 4th place in the 1,500.
Ethiopian Champs: Belete Assefa Wins Ethiopian Championships 10k In 28:28 To Join Kenenisa Bekele, Imane Merga And Ibrahim Jelian (Defending WC) On Their Team For Moscow Amazing, they managed to fit 54 runners on the track for this race. Meanwhile, USATF only let 9 run in the 5k at USAs.
- IAAF Preview Of Birmingham LRC preview coming soon.
- Next Week: Preview Of 2013 Western States 100
- July 4th: 33 Olympic Medalists From London Competing At Lausanne DL: Hagos Gebrhiwet Vs. Yenew Alamirew In The 5,000 Highlights Mohamed Aman will race Botswana's Olympic silver medalsit Nijel Amos in the 800, Kimberlyn Duncan, Allyson Felix, Carmelita Jeter and English Gardner will race in the 200 and the 110H will have Ryan Wilson, David Oliver and Jason Richardson.
- July 19th: Sally Pearson Vs. NCAA/US Champ Brianna Rollins In Monaco 100H On July 19th IAAF Asbel Kiprop in the 800. Tyson Gay vs. Justin Gatlin in the 100.
- Tonja Buford-Bailey Quits As Illinois Head Coach To Be Assistant At U. Of Texas
*MB: Discussion of Tonja Buford-Bailey's move
- LSU Coach Mark Elliot.Pumped NCAA 800 Champ Natoya Goule Is Now A Sub-2 Woman
- USA Youth champs are going on now
- Looking Back At Last World Youth Champs Two Years Ago In Lille, France 800 stars Ethiopia's Mohammed Aman and Kenya's Timothy Kitum lost the 800 to Leonard Kosencha.
- 142 World Youths Statistical Handbook
- Michael O'Hara (10.39 And 20.75) Is Jamaica's Leading Entrant For World Youths
- US Team For World University Games Rreleased
- South African Banned From WU Games
Previous Birgmingham/Ostrava Info
- Despite Loss Last Weekend, Dai Greene Excited About His Prospects And For Birmingham Race
- Thursday: IAAF Ostrava Golden Spike Preview: Kenenisa Bekele Will Try To Go Sub-13 In The 5k While Tirunesh Dibaba Is In The 10,000 Mohamed Aman is in the 800 (David Rudisha pulled out as he's still dealing with the injury that held him out of Pre), Bahrain's former 2-time World champ Maryam Jamal is in the 1,500 and Milcah Chemos (she'll
face Russia's former Olympic champ Gulnara Galkina) and Conseslus Kipruto highlight the steeples. Kirani James is in the 400, Asafa Powell
in the 100 and Yelena Isinbayeva and Renaud Lavillenie vs. Bjorn Otto highlights the PVs.
*Sally Pearson Says She's Healthy And Read To Run Fast This Year After Coming Back From Her Second Hamstring Tear She'll race in Ostrava against GB's Tiffany Porter and the Birmingham DL meet against Dawn Harper and Kellie Wells on Sunday. She's apparently feeling confident in her fitness as she talked about defending her Worlds title and getting close to the 12.21 WR this year.
- Sunday: Stacked
5k Highlights Fields Which Include 30 Olympic Medalists At Birmingham DL: Mo Farah Faces Hagos Gebrhiwet, Yenew Alamirew & 2011 World 10k Champ Ibrahim Jelian Other action includes Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce vs. Carmelita Jeter in the 100, Christine Oburuogu vs. Amantle Montsho in the 400, Felix Sanchez, Michael Tinsley, Javier Culson and Dai Greene in the 400H, Greg Rutherford vs. Dwight Phillips in the LJ, Robbie Grabarz vs. Mutaz
Essa Barshim and Jesse
Williams in the HJ and Aries Merritt in the 110H.
- Other Upcoming Action:
- Monday: Duane Solomon Making A 600m WR Attempt At The Jerome Classic In Canada On Monday The current WR is held by his coach, Johnny Gray (1992 Olympic bronze winner and US 800m record holder) at 1:12.21. Solomon's PR is 1:15.70, which he set January indoors.
- July 17th: Jordan Hasay And Tara Erdmann Will Make Their Male-Paced 10k Standard Attempt In Portland The IAAF "A" is 31:45 and the "B" is 32:05. If they both get the "A" or if one gets the "A" and the other the "B," both will make the team.
Recommended Read: Marathon Everyman: Yuki Kawauchi is a world-class athlete, a full-time government clerk, and a Japanese national hero. Could he change the way we think about running? "Unlike the smooth and outwardly impassive professional runners, Kawauchi grimaces, and his arms flail. He appears to be struggling, yet he hangs on, often collapsing at the finish. Even so, he insists marathon running is 'fun.'"
Geoffrey Mutai Feeling Fit And Wants To Be On Kenya's Worlds Team For Moscow After Running A 27:55 10k At Their National Championships He says if he's not selected for the marathon squad, he'll run the 10k at their trials since he wants "to be remembered for what I did for my country."
2-Time Olympic 100m Champion Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce Embracing The 2013 After Winning It At The Jamaican Trials She says running the 200 this year has made her better in the 100 and her coach thinks she'll go sub-22 eventually.
US Youth Champs/World Trials
- USATF World Youth Trials Day 1 Recap
- MileSplit World Youth Trials Coverage Courtney Corrin won the LJ with 20-11.
- Jaiden Woodbey Wins His 4th Straight Multi-Event Title At US Youth Outdoor Champs
- Unlike Al Sal, Ajee' Wilson's Coach Derek Thompson Takes A Low Profile
- Former 100 WR Holder, Check Fraudster And Heroine Dealer Tim Montgomery Is Out Of Prison And Has Booming Speed Academy Business NUMA Speed Never Underestimate My Ability has grown by word of mouth to 60 clients, including baseball and football players.
- Unbelievable: Javelin Thrower Riley Dolezal Went Into USA Seeded #14 With 74.22m PR, Left With 83.50 PR And USA Victory Even better, he hit the IAAF "A" standard to the centimeter.
- If You Can't Develop Sprinters, Just Get Them To Switch Countries: 2012 World Jr. Champ (20.27) Delano Williams Switches Allegiance To GB, Will Run Worlds In 2013 His native Turks and Caicos Islands isn't recognized by the IOC. He trains in Jamaica with Bolt.
- Bolt Tweets Encouragement To Asafa: "Don't give up bro.. Keep the [email protected],"
- Kelly Ann Baptiste Runs 22.36 And 10.83 PRs In Trinidad
USATF Saturday *LRC Sunday Photos *LRC Saturday Photos *LRC Check Your Scores In The $20,013 Contest
LRC Mens 800: Duane Solomon Goes Wire-To-Wire To Run World-Leading 1:43.27 To Stop Nick Symmonds' Streak Of US Titles
At Five Solomon, Symmonds and Brandon Johnson all delivered on the big stage as the US has great medal prospects in this event. After,
Symmonds talked about his streak ending and trying to do the 800/1,500 double in 2016.
More: Oregonian *Register-Guard: "Nick Symmonds' 800-meter reign runs its course."
OTB: Anyone else happy Solomon took down Symmonds?
LRC Women's 800: Alysia Montano Wins Her 5th Straight National Title, Holding Off A Fast-Closing Brenda Martinez Martinez made Montano work every single step of the way for US title #5 in a row as World Junior Champion Ajee Wilson went sub-2:00 for the first time to make the Worlds team.
OTB: Montano is One of My Favs
LRC Steeple Evan Jager And Dan Huling Go 1-2 In Steeple For Team Schumacher De'Sean Turner was 3rd as the training partners Jager and Huling were too good over the final 800.
More: Evan Jager And Dan Huling Go 1-2 In Steeple For Team Schumacher Oregonian
Sunday Men: Tyson Gay's World-Leading 19.74 Caps Final Day As Aries Merritt Makes Hurdles Team Tyson Gay is the world leader at 100m and 200m now. World record holder Merritt made the team after coming back from injury. As he said in this post-race interview, he only did two hurdle workouts before this meet.
*MB: Gay Steps on Line in Semi and Not DQd?
LRC Sunday Photos
Sunday Women: Kimberly Duncan Upsets Allyson Felix In 200m At USAs Jenn Suhr won and so did Jenny Simpson and Alysia Montano. We hope you know that from our LRC recaps.
- Adam Nelson Gets His 2004 Victory Lap 9 Years Later
- Erik Kynard Wins High Jump In His First Meet As A Pro
- A Look At Des Moines As A Host City Compared To Eugene
- Boston: Stephen Sambu, Mamitu Daska Win 2013 BAA 10k Former Providence star Kim Smith ran 33:34 and she's still on track to win $100,000 showing this is the easiest $100k in the sport. Sambu's on track for the $100k as well.
- Lelisa Desisa Returns His Boston Medal To Boston Mayor To Honor Bombing Victims
- Jamaica: Warren Weir Runs 19.79 To Win Jamaican Champs In case you missed it, Bolt won the 100 on Friday. Weir's celebration at the finish is getting some attention. It was nothing crazy.
- Hansle Parchment Twists Ankle In Bad Lighting On Warmup Track At Jamaican Champs
- Euro Team Champs: Brits 3rd At European Team Champs
- Britain's New Wave Of Youngsters Does Well Independent
LRC Mary Cain's Going To Worlds: Treniere Moser Just Edges High
School Star Mary Cain
link updated 17-year-old Cain nearly won the race, but was passed by training partner Treniere
in the final meters. Shannon Rowbury and Morgan Uceny both failed to make Worlds.
More Cain: SI's Tim Layden On 17-Year-Old Mary Cain Booking Moscow Trip And 21-Year-Old Brianna Rollins Crushing Gail Devers' American Record Cain had veins of ice on the track but the pressure started to get to Cain between the prelims and finals off the track as she called her mom and cried and then called coach Alberto Salazar Saturday morning freaking out.
*Oregonian On Moser And Cain *RRW
LRC Medal Threats Centro And Leo Go One-Two link updated Matt Centrowitz held off Leo Manzano, and Lopez Lomong was third as an emotional Andrew Wheating was DFL. Recap, analysis, and post-race reaction/video.
LRC Four Years After Breaking Her Foot At World Trials, Nicole Bush Goes Wire-To-Wire In Steeple Ashley Higginson got 2nd for Coach Gags, and Shalaya Kipp picked the perfect time to have her best race of the year for 3rd. Bridget Franek struggled the last lap in the heat.
LRC Day 3 Photos
Saturday On The Boards:
- How does Manzano do it?
- Wheating 4:01.55
- Why was the women's 1500m so slow?
- No American Man has the "B" Standard in the 1500
- Matt Elliot just missed World's by .2 Lamong is lucky!!!
- Can Centro win worlds?
- No LOLO in Moscow
- BRIANNA ROLLINS AMERICAN RECORD!!
- USATF steeple womens final
2013 USA Outdoor Champs *LRC $20,013 Prediction Contest - Change Your Picks *Check Your Scores In The Contest *Thursday Photos *Friday Photos
LRC Men's 800m Semifinals: Symmonds, Solomon, Johnson, Mulder, Jock ... The Favorites Advance To Set Up A Stellar Final Nick Symmonds goes for his 6th straight
USATF title on Sunday and
his hands full. OTB: Interesting comment by Nick Symmonds about David Rudisha after semifinal
LRC Women's 800: Alysia Montaño And Brenda Martinez Still Look Good; Maggie Vessey And Phoebe Wright Go Out Brenda Martinez showing some Joe Vigil strength with a negative-split sub-2:00 800m.
LRC Friday Photos
LRC 2013 USATF Men's Steeple Prelims, Jager, Leslie, Huling Impress Jager talked about the rest of his 2013 season, which will include only a steeple at Worlds.
RRW Day 2 Recap: All The Favorites In The Men's And Women's 800s And Men's Steeplechase Advance To Sunday's Finals
*RRW: Working Together, Brannon Kidder And Cas Loxsom Enjoy 800m Success Both went out today in the 800 semis.
LRC Men's 5,000 Preview: Galen Rupp, Bernard Lagat And Then Who? Lopez Lomong would appear to be the guy - assuming doubling back from the 1,500 isn't a problem.
LRC Women's 5,000 Preview: Last Year's Race Was Truly Epic; Let's Hope for An Encore Shalane Flanagan, Jenny Simpson and Molly Huddle. It doesn't get better than that.
Flanagan A True Champion, Jordan Hasay Impresses, Kara Goucher Wilts In Heat Flanagan dominated, Kara Goucher wilted in the heat, and new Alberto Salazar teammates Jordan Hasay and Tara Erdmann
finished 2nd and 3rd. Recap, results, post-race reaction. *RRW *Oregonian
LRC Non-Distance Surprises In The 400s: Sanya Richards-Ross In, Jeremy Wariner, Nellum Out On a positive note, 2012 Olympic champ Sanya Richards-Ross seems to finally be on the comeback trail from injury as she won her heat.
*Carmelita Jeter Pulls Out Of 100m With Quad Strain, Will Get Bye Into Worlds
*Tyson Gay, Justin Gatlin Cruise In 100m Qualifying
*IAAF Recap Of Thursday
LRC Thursday Photos
- USATFs Thursday Flash On The Boards: Flanagan (with the A), Hasay and Erdman
- Rupp, Derrick, Ritz or True - Which One Goes Home Devastated?
- TRUE GOES HOME DEVASTATED
- Robbie "MF" Andrews
- Ken Goe Reporting: Salazar will set up a 10k race to ensure Hasay and Erdmann get 10k Standards for WC's
- Just yesterday I thought Jordan Hasay should retire and now here she is today making her first Olympic team.
Non-USA News / Jamaican Trials
- Usain Bolt Runs 10.00, Asafa Powell Runs 10.02 At Day 1 Of Jamaican Trials
- Mario Sategna (Not Pat Henry) Named Coach Of Combined UT Program
- Sally Pearson To Return To Action This Month
- Janeth Jepkosgei To Still Focus On 800m This Year
2 Reviews & 1 Book Excerpt From John McDonnell: The Most Successful NCAA Coach In History
LRC Book Review By Former Hog Marlon Boykins: "Two Thumbs Up:"
book is full of insight into the hard-working, team-first ethos that
made us such a successful." We had two people review the book, including the 1:47 man Boykins, who was at Arkansas at the pinnacle of its heyday. "It was a self-contained UBER-COMPETITIVE atmosphere ... the sprinters, jumpers and distance guys all trying to show which group reigned supreme ..."
Book Excerpt The Legendary Story Of The 1989 Penn Relays DMR, Where 4 Kids From Arkansas, Texas And Missouri Beat 4 African Olympians And The Olympic 1,500m Champ The 1989 Mount St. Mary's Penn Relays DMR team featured 4 African Olympians, including 1988 Olympic 1,500m champ Peter Rono. John McDonnell's Arkansas squad featured 4 kids from Texas, Missouri and Arkansas. A legendary motivational speech by McDonnell and Joe Falcon on the anchor made for one of the great upsets in Penn Relays history. Read all about it in this excerpt from the new John McDonnell biography.
LRC Review #2 John McDonnell D2 Coach Torrey Olson We had Olson, who has an MFA in creative writing, give his take. "It's got a lot to offer anyone interested in an incredibly sustained passion for the both the sport and the profession."
Twin Brother Omar Is In Jail Apparently he has done time before for burglary, criminal damage, assault and theft. He had vowed to clean up his act after Mo won in London, but is now in jail again for "breaking a 16-week suspended sentence for burglary and a string of other offences."
US Distance Runners Dreaming Of The Olympics At ZAP Profile on the North Carolina training group's coaches and athletes.
US Pro Updates
- US Trials Surprise 4th Placer Matt Elliot Matt Will Chase "A" Standard At KBC-Heusden On July 13th And Bottrop Gala On July 19th If Matt Centrowitz and Leo Manzano both get the "A" standard during the window before July 20th, then Elliot just needs the 3:37.00 "B." Otherwise he needs the "A" which is 3:35.00.
- Justin Gatlin Speaks Out In Support Of Same Sex Marriage
- USA SP Champ Michelle Carter Is Friends With Valerie Adams, But Thinking She Might Be Able To Beat Her In 2013 At USAs, Carter set the US NR and improved her PR to 20.24m.
RIP Olympic Marathon Champ Alain Mimoun
- Tribute To France's 1956 Olympic Marathon Champion Alain Mimoun, Who Passed Away Thursday At The Age Of 92 Mimoun was nicknamed "The Zatopek Shadow" following three second-place finishes behind Emil Zatopek at the 1948 and 1952 Olympics.
*European Athletics Article *IAAF Tribute
San Diego Rock 'N' Roll Half Photos (Bernard Koech 58:41, Meb, Deena Hit The Roads)
- UK 15:35 Junior Runner Emelia Gorecka And Steph Well Highlight 5k Field For BMC Watford Grand Prix On Sunday
- 18-Year-Old Jessica Judd Led UK Performances At Euro Team Champs Last Weekend With A 2:00.82 800m Victory
- UK Athletics Set Goal Of 6 Medals At Moscow World Champs
Weekly Recap (Week That Was) - A Look Back At 2013 USA Action
Women: LRC The USAs That Were: Mary Cain, Jordan Hasay, Brianna Rollins And Treniere Moser Impress We take a look back at the women's action
at USAs. From the two teen phenoms to the incredible Jenny Simpson, who might have been able to win 4 events at USAs, we are full of praise but leave the most for Brianna Rollins.
Men: LRC The USAs That Were: Brandon Johnson, Leo Manzano And Tyson Gay Impress, Robby Andrews Disappoints, Nick Symmonds Runs Fast But Loses, And A US Medal In Every Distance Event? We tell you who had the biggest breakthrough in the short term and long term, on the track and in the field, we worry about Robby Andrews, praise Nick Symmonds and rave about the fact that the US men could medal in every mid-d/distance event in Moscow.
Saturday: Mary Cain Makes The Team (Hundreds Of Video Interviews Here)
NCAA Saturday Photo Gallery (Friday Here, Thursday Here, Wednesday Here)
2013 Rome Diamond League Photo Gallery: Down Goes Bolt! (Link Fixed)
Saturday Pre Photo Gallery Friday Photos Here
Updated: Now 160+ Photos 2013 adidas Grand Prix Winners Photo Gallery
Think The Sub-2-Hour Marathon Is On The Horizon? Think Again
LRC The Myth Of The Sub-2-Hour Marathon The mainstream media thinks it may be close but in reality most people reading this will be dead when it happens.
*Science of Sport's Ross Tucker agrees: Pacing, fatigue and the brain. Lessons from London.
*MB: Sub 2 Hour Marathon Discussion: My Thoughts and Yours
Blue Collar / Inspirational Runner Of The Week
LRC Meet Conner Paez: "Please don't cut off my leg. Please just don't amputate my leg. I can't lose my leg. I need to run." Two years ago, Conner Paez was on top of the world as a freshman at the University of Pennsylvania (8:16, 14:18). Then his life turned in a second as he was broadsided by a car while on his motor bike. The injuries were bad, very bad. He almost lost his leg, then some toes. Doctors told him he'd never compete again. What's he doing this weekend? Competing again.