King Cheserek waited until the final 250, but boy was it special as he remained undefeated for his life at NCAA champs.
*MB: Cheserek - 24.71 last 200!!! Wow!!!! (EOM)
This race was very exciting over the last lap. An all-out war between two men that almost resulted in both of them going down on the final barrier because they were so spent. In the end, Rotich was your winner. Might runner-up Stanley Kebenei soon be on a US Olympic team?
*MB: Anthony Rotich and Stanley Kebenei wage great battle in men's steeple - Rotich repeats- Mason Ferlic top American in 4th
Women's 1,500: Arizona State's Shelby Houlihan Powers Away From The Field To Win As Cory McGee Is Runner-Up Twice In A Row
Everyone had a chance in this one with a lap to go, but there was no question who was best over the final lap - ASU's Shelby Houlihan.
On The Boards: Shelby Houlihan Crushes The Last 200 To Shock Women's 1,500 Field
It came down to Hall, D'Agostino and Stanford's Aisling Cuffe, but in the end it was Hall who broke away with a 30.4 last 200 to win her first NCAA title. The UT senior has dropped more than a minute off her 5,000 PR in the last year. Pretty damn impressive.
On The Boards: Marielle Hall pulls a shocker, takes down Abbey D in 5k – Wins in 15:35.11!!
Lawi Lalang came within .04 seconds of being the first man to pull off the 1,500/5k double, but Oregon's Mac Fleet was too good and repeated as NCAA champion before the Oregon crowd.
On The Boards: USA USA! MAC FLEET IS THE NEW KING!! Edges Lalang by .04 in 3:39.09!!
Women's 800: Oregon's Laura Roesler Comes Through As The Favorite To Earn 10-Points For The Women Of Oregon
It was a thrilling four-man battle down the home straight, but in the end McBride had just enough to hold everyone off.
NCAA meet record -check. 10,000 plus screaming fans- check. Great finishing duel- check. Greatest NCAA 5000m ever -check.
A runner was dominant over the final 1.5 laps but it O'Connor, not Kipp as Boise State's Marisa Howard PBd by 15+ seconds to get 2nd.
*MB: Upset City: Leah O'Connor Crushes Kipp - 9:36.43 FTW !!!
The big players - Lawi Lalang, Mac Fleet, Emily Lipari and Stephanie Brown - all looked great as expected. Oregon's Sam Prakel was an unexpected surprise. The finals should be great. The intrigue came with an almost cat-fight between some of the top 1,500 women.
*MB: CAT FIGHT in the 1500!!! Cory McGee and Stephanie Brown
Women's 10,000m Post Race Reaction: Emma Bates, Elinor Kirk, Julie Bottorff, Erin Finn, Elvin Kibet and Megan Curham Interviews
Boise State's Emma Bates Captures 2014 NCAA 10,000m Title After Great Stretch Battle With Elinor Kirk
The women's 10,000m was historically fast and it featured two lead changes in the final 100. Emma Bates and Elinor Kirk battled side-by-side for much of the final 100m, but Bates was too good in the end and got her first NCAA title. *Post-Race interviews With Emma Bates, Elinor Kirk, Julie Bottorff, Erin Finn, Elvin Kibet And Megan Curham
The inconsistent Dendy, who had never scored before outdoors, was on his game and had three jumps better than anyone else and gave the Gators 10 key points in the team competition.
The favorites in men's and women's 800 and women's steeple all looked great.
Cornell's Stephen Mozia just misses Ivy League shot put record of 20.46m, finishes second at 2014 NCAA Championships
The leading coaches tell you why the NCAA meet is special, Oregon's Robert Johnson tells you why the Ducks had to disappoint the Oregon faithful and not run super frosh Edward Cheserek much at home, and Pat Henry tries not to think too much about last year's 4 x 400: "You drop the ball in the end zone, you have to let it go and get back into the game."
Men's Mid-D/Steeple Preview: Mac Fleet And Anthony Rotich Look To Repeat; Indoor Champ Brandon McBride Favored In 800
Oregon's Mac Fleet is looking to become the first NCAA 1,500 repeat champ since Seneca Lassiter in 1998 but last year's 10,000 champ Lawi Lalang wants to end his storied NCAA career with yet a 1,500 crown. In the steeple and 800, Anthony Rotich and Brandon McBride want to continue winning.
On The Boards
- Anybody else not feeling Oregon's Donald Duck Jerseys they wore at NCAAs
- Post 5000m Interview: Arkansas' Dominique Scott Needs Her Boyfriend To Propose!
- Marielle Hall pulls a shocker, takes down Abbey D in 5k - Wins in 15:35.11!!
- ND frosh phenom Laura Roesler wins 1,2,4,8 pics
- Lutz hanging with Oregon Freshmen
- THE KING IS DEAD!
- Official 2014 NCAA Day 3 Outdoor Live Discussion Thread
- Time for Cheserek to go pro?
- Wow Wow Wow!! The greatest 5000 in NCAA history. Lawi comes back on Ches!!! NCAA Record.
- CAT FIGHT in the 1500!!! Cory McGee and Stephanie Brown
- 2014 NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Findal Day 4 Photos: All Track Finals (Mac Fleet, Marielle Hall, Shelby Houlihan, Anthony Rotich More)
- 2014 NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Day 3 Photos: Lalang Over Cheserek in 5000, 100m, 400m, 800m Finals
- 2014 NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Day 2 Photos: Emma Bates Wins 10,000m Final, 1500 Semifinals, Men's Steeple
- 2014 NCAA Track and Field Day 1 Photos: King Cheserek Wins 10,000m, Women's Steeple Semifinals
- Last Man Standing: Anthony Rotich Successfully Defends His Steeplechase Crown
- Women's 1,500: Arizona State's Shelby Houlihan Powers Away From The Field To Win As Cory McGee Is Runner-Up Twice In A Row
- Marielle Hall Arrives, Prevents Abbey D'Agostino From Ending Her Career With NCAA Title #8
- Revenge Of The Ducks! Mac Fleet Repeats As 1,500 Champion, Denies Lawi Lalang Historic Double
- Women's 800: Oregon's Laura Roesler Comes Through As The Favorite To Earn 10-Points For The Women Of Oregon
- Brandon McBride Defends Indoor Title as SEC Runners Take the Top Four Spots
- A Race for the Ages: Lawi Lalang Defeats Oregon's Edward Cheserek and 10,000 Screaming Oregon Fans
- 2012 Olympian Shalaya Kipp Upset as Michigan State's Leah O'Connor Arrives
- 1,500 And Men's Steeple Prelims - Favorites Cruise Through To Set Up Some Great Finals
- Women's 10,000m Post Race Reaction: Emma Bates, Elinor Kirk, Julie Bottorff, Erin Finn, Elvin Kibet and Megan Curham Interviews
- Men's Mid-D/Steeple Preview: Mac Fleet And Anthony Rotich Look To Repeat; Indoor Champ Brandon McBride Favored In 800
- RT Preview
- Women's Long Distance: Freshman Phenom Erin Finn Vs. 25-Year-Old Elinor Kirk In 10k; Can Abbey D'Agostino Close Out NCAA Career With Title #8?
- Women's Mid-D/Steeple: Laura Roesler and Shalaya Kipp Heavily Favored; Can Emily Lipari Finish Out Perfect 2014?
- Track & Field News predicts Oregon 78, Florida 72 for NCAA men
- Track & Field News predicts Texas 70, Oregon 67, Texas A&M 66 for women at NCAAs