Olympic Track & Field Action Has Started *Daily Schedule/Results *Complete T&F Schedule *Entry Lists *Watch Live
*IAAF Event-By-Event Olympic Previews *LRC Check Prediction Contest Scores/Change Picks
W 1,500: LRC Disaster Strikes Twice As Morgan Uceny Gets Tripped Again And A Former Doper Wins Gold Disaster struck twice in the 1,500 final. First at the bell when, unbelievably, Morgan Uceny was sent sprawling for the second straight year. It struck again a lap later when a former doper won gold and her compatriot, who has gone from 4:18 to 4:01 this year, nabbed silver.
*Pat Forde: "Saddest sight of the Games"
*Battaglia: Uceny's medal hopes fall - again
*MB: *I am crying for Morgan Uceny *Uceny goes down! *US should protest - Let's re-run the 1,500
*UK 1,500 Runner Lisa Dobriskey Voices Concerns Over Turkey's Asli Çakir Alptekin Being Clean Dobriskey said: "I'll probably get into trouble for saying this, but I don't believe I'm competing on a level playing field."
Friday Relay News:
- US Women 4 X 100 Smash World Record They smashed an almost certainly drugged E. German record. Tim Layden points out some will wonder what that means for this record.
*NY Times Article *IAAF
*MB: 40.82!!!!! WR for USA Women's 4x100!! Drummond is the man!!
- Men 4 X 1: US Men Break 20-Year-Old National Record In 4 X 100 Semifinals WITHOUT Tyson Gay Or Ryan Bailey The Jamaican team ran .01 slower in the heats than the US, but they didn't have Bolt. Today's final should be good.
*Bad Handoff Involving Teen Sprint Sensation Adam Gemili Gets The UK DQed And Out Of The Final They handed off on the anchor leg just outside the pass zone.
- 4 X 4: Bahamas Takes 4 X 4 Gold As US Gets Silver And Fails To Win For The First Time Since 1972 Multiple injuries hurt the US team's chances.
*The Guardian: "USA Bag Silver To Repay Relay Runner With Broken Leg"
*Bryshon Nellum Named Flag Bearer For Closing Ceremony
*Oscar P Leaves Without A Medal As SA Finish 7th Oscar P anchored, but they were already way back when he got it.
- USATF Release On Relay Performances
Other Friday Results:
- Pole Vault: France's Renaud Lavillenie Lives Up To Expectations As The Favorite To Take PV Title With Olympic Record 5.97m 2008 champ and former Olympic record holder Steve Hooker was a no-height, as was US record holder Brad Walker.
- Hammer: Former Russian Drug Cheat Tatyana Lysenko Wins Women's Hammer Amid Confusion Over Bronze China's Zhang Wenxiu was awarded bronze before a measurement malfunction was corrected and Germany's Betty Heidler moved up to 3rd. China appealed and it led to 3 hours of deliberation before the results were official. *IAAF article
- IAAF Full Friday Report
Bolt Wins 200 To Become A "Legend" Bolt became the first man to win the 100 and 200 at back-to-back Olympics and become a legend in his own words. We thought he was already a legend. After leading the Jamaica 1-2-3 sweep, Bolt trashed Carl Lewis, saying he has "no respect for him" as a result of Carl's thinly-veiled drug allegations at Bolt.
More Bolt-Lewis: *Bolt Rips Lewis
*Editorial Saying This Will Hurt Bolt In US With Endorsements We Disagree. The article nails it in describing how entertaining Bolt was in the rest of the press conference.
*Article From Last Month Explaining What Lewis said
*Yohan Blake's Watch Has Caught The Eye Of IOC Brand Police
*Four Years Ago, Warren Weir Was Watching The Olympics From The Couch, But Now He's Part Of A Jamaican 200 Medal Sweep When asked what Bolt whispered to him before the start, he said, "1-2-3." All 3 are coached by Glen Mills.
Ashton Eaton, Trey Hardee Go 1-2 In Decathlon Hardee: "It's safe to say my reign is over. I still think my best decathlon is ahead of me, but Ashtons are too."
*Ashton Eaton: "20 years on you will have people saying 'I was sitting on my couch, watching Hardee and Eaton win.'"
*USATF Release On 1-2 Finishes In Decathlon And TJ Includes athlete quotes.
Gators Christian Taylor And Will Claye Go 1-2 In Triple Jump 2nd medal of Games for Claye as he got bronze in the LJ.
NYTimes: Day Of Drama In London
- US Relay Hero: Manteo Mitchell Breaks Fibula In First 200 Of 4 X 4 Leg, But Keeps Running To Get Team Into Final "It hurt so bad but I didn't want to let those three guys down."
*MB: What a Patriot: US's Manteo Mitchell Split 46.1 Despite Breaking His Leg 200 Meters in 4 x 400!!
- Jamaican Zero: Jamaican Paper Criticizes Coaching Decision That Lead To Their 4 X 4 DNF In The Semifinal They put in Jermaine Gonzales even though he had done horribly in the open 400 heats, complaining of a hamstring injury and openly saying he did not want to run the relay.
- Javelin: Kenyan Jav Thrower Julius Yego Not Content With Just Getting The Olympic Experience He's the first African to make the Olympic javelin final and his NR throw has him currently sitting in 6th.
- Barbora Spotakova Becomes Only Second Woman To Defend Her Olympic Javelin Title
- IAAF Full Thursday Recap
Follow-Up From Previous Days' Events
- BBC Piece: What has gone wrong with Kenya's runners? This was written before Kenya went 1-3 in the 800, but is still relevant.
- 100: Tyson Gay Reflects On Running His Best Race Of Season But Still Missing Out On An Olympic Medal But Also Having One Shot Left With the Relay "I'm really really looking forward to getting a medal in the 4 x 1 relay. That's my goal. I'm going to stay focused and try and do that. If I do that, it'll definitely fill a small place in my heart."
- 1,500: Video Interview With Nick Willis The Day After A Disappointing Final Always a class act.
- 100H: Shaquille O'Neal Called Lolo Jones After 100H Final To Give Her A Pep Talk
- 110H: Liu Xiang Will Need Surgery On Ruptured Achilles Tendon Which Knocked Him Out In The First Round
*Jamaica's Surprise 110 Hurdles 3rd Placer Still Not Satisfied With The Result He was only ranked 8th in the World coming in, won Jamaica's first sprint hurdle medal, and set a NR ... it doesn't get a whole lot better than that.
- Science Of The Sport Examines Jamaican Dominance In The Short Sprints And Asks Why The IOC Doesn't Set A Schedule That Allows For The 800/1,500 Double Makes the point that the Seb Coe vs. Steve Ovett double used to be a highlight of the Games.
- HJ: Some Interesting Quotes From Russia's HJ Champ Ivan Uhkov "I only accepted I had won once the American had his third failure. You cannot divide up the skin of a bear that is still alive. I had to watch and wait."
Allyson Felix Wins 200 Gold As USA Crushes It With 7 Medals & 3 Golds Brittney Reese also won gold as did Aries Merritt.
The meet was "was
slipping away" from the US when everything got turned around with a ton of medals. Lashinda Demus had to settle for silver despite running 52.77. *USATF
Release On Historic Day
*Layden: Allyson Felix finally strikes gold on banner night for US track and field
*After Coming Up Short 4 Years Ago, Allyson Felix And Brittney Reese Come Through For Gold in 200 And LJ In 2012
110H: Aries Merritt Is On Fire - PRs At 12.92 As US Goes 1-2 Jason Richardson was a little disappointed he got silver.
Epstein: Merritt quest perfectionism pays off with gold medal in 110m hurdles
Reuters: After showing great promises as jr. world champ, Merritt arrives on center stage
LJ: After Four Straight World Titles, Brittney Reese Gets Long-Sough- After Olympic Gold
*Reese Celebrates With Mom Who Told Her To Turn Down Basketball Scholarship For College & Focus On Track
A Great Read: LRC Men's 1,500m Reaction, Leo Manzano Talks About His Medal, Matt Centrowitz His Near Miss, Makhloufi, Kiprop, Willis, More LRC gives you all the athlete reaction from the crazy men's 1,500m, which saw Leo Manzano take home the first US Olympic 1,500m medal since 1968. Leo says he felt awful but his prayer was answered; Centrowitz says he was running for gold and wouldn't change a thing; Asbel Kiprop praises Leo; Nick Willlis is amazed by Makhloufi's recovery but embarrassed by his own showing. What happened to the Kenyans? What about Nick Willis? What about Makhloufi's injury? *LRC Leo Photo Gallery
Race Recap: LRC 1,500 Final: Taoufik Makhloufi Dominates As Leo Manzano Surprises With Silver (updated) Makhloufi's last 300 was just way better than everyone else's, as anyone that tried to go with him paid a big price. Leo Manzano had the next-best last lap as he went from 10th to 2nd as Matt Centrowitz just missed a medal by .04. *IAAF Recap
*Deadspin: Algerian Runner Booted From Olympics For Quitting A Race Reinstated After Getting A Doctor's Note
*Taoufik Makhloufi: The Man Who Won Olympic Gold After Being Thrown Out For Not Trying An honest assesment of the DQ situation and questioning the rules around it.
- Tuesday PM: LRC 800 Semifinals: Americans Nick Symmonds And Duane Solomon Advance To The Final The
semis produced two Americans in the final, as Solomon and Symmonds got in as time qualifiers.
The big names showed up in force, as the top five seeds all advanced to the final. David Rudisha won his heat, but Mo Aman had the fastest time of the day. Brit Andrew Osagie surprised even himself.
Tuesday AM: LRC Olympic Women's 5,000 Heats: Molly Huddle And Julie Culley Make Final As Favorites Advance It was a great day for the American women. Two PRs and two women to the final, as Tirunesh Dibaba began her quest for Olympic history by doubling as 5,000/10,000 Olympic champion.
LRC: Tuesday AM: Liu Xiang's Olympics (And Career?) Over With the same bib number as on Beijing, Liu Xiang left the track with an Achilles injury. This time it was after smashing the first hurdle. Then in a display of sportsmanship, he hopped on one leg the entire length of the stadium and kissed the final hurdle in his lane as if to say goodbye.
News Off And Away From The Track
- Past Australia Marathon Great Robert de Castella Calls On AOC To Tame The Olympic Village "Zoo"
- US Wrestler Brings Marijuana Issue Out Into The Open She talked openly about it and how her and teammates try to time it right so they avoid testing positive. As a defense, she said, "It's better for you to be a pothead than it is to be an alcoholic. It's better for you to be a pothead than it is to be a crackhead. ... You don't go on rampages and do all kinds of crazy stuff when you are just a stoner. You just chill."
- Seven Cameroon Olympic Athletes Have Disappeared And May Attempt To Seek Asylum In Britain
- German Weightlifter Drops 432lb Barbell On His Neck
- Gold Medal Swimmer Admits To Cheating By Using Extra "Dolphin Kicks" He said, "It's not obviously - shall we say - the moral thing to do, but I'm not willing to sacrifice my personal performance and four years of hard work for someone that is willing to do it and get away with it."
- Italian Racewalker Fails Drug Test And Is Pulled From Games
- IOC Defends Sponsorship Rules Amid US Athlete Protest
400 Final: 19-Year-Old Kirani James Wins Grenada's First Olympic Gold In The 400 Luguelin Santos took silver and Lalonde Gordon bronze. Kirani James is Mr. Clutch at age 19. Incredible.
*Grenada Prime Minister Declares National Holiday To Celebrate Kirani James' 400 Win
SI: US 400m Dynasty Comes To An End
*MB: Kirani James 43.94!!!!
RR: Felix Sanchez Weeps Tears Of Joy And Dedicates 400H Win To His Grandmother, Who Passed Away After The First Prelim In Beijing 2008 He ran with a photo of him and his grandma tucked under his jersey and "Abuela" scrawled in black pen on the straps of his spikes. When he won, he honored his grandmother by kneeling in the middle of the track and kissing her photo.
LRC Taoufik Makhloufi (One Of The 1,500m Favorites)
Kicked Out Of Olympic Track Meet Reinstated Makhloufi's
performance in the
1,500m semifinal on Sunday was absolutely stunning but not as stunning as what happened 15 hours later. Less than 24 hours after the race, he was disqualified from the meet for not giving an honest effort in the 800m round 1 on Monday. After an appeal, he has now been reinstated. *Discuss
More 800: LRC The Americans React - Nick Symmonds & Duane Solomon Are Still Dreaming Of Medals As The 36-Year-Old Khadevis Robinson Fails To Make Final Yet Again KD has represented the US 9 times and has never made an outdoor final. We catch up with a disappointed Robinson as well as Duane Solomon and Nick Symmonds, who both won their heats and want to medal.
800 1st Round Race Recaps: LRC Duane Solomon Looks Like A 1:43.44 Guy As He Dominates His Heat As He And Nick Symmonds Advance To The Semis
*David Rudisha Rules Out Going For His Own WR At The Olympics
LRC Men's 1,500 Semis: After A Stunning, Stunning Win In Heat 1 - Do We Have A New Favorite? Algeria's Taoufik Makhloufi's win in heat 1 over reigning world and Olympic champion Asbel Kiprop came so quickly and was so dominant that former 1,500, mile and 2,000 world record holder Steve Cram couldn't believe what he was seeing. Is it too good to be true? Or is something wrong with Kiprop (and the others in his heat)? In the end, the major players all advanced, including two Americans, three Kenyans and Nick Willis. Is Andrew Wheating's season now done?
*Kiprop: "I have a slight strain with my hamstring but there's nothing to worry about." *Discuss
*Or Is It An Achilles?
10,000m: Mo Farah Gets It Done As Galen Rupp Gets Historic Silver Mo Farah powered home to win Britain's third track gold medal of the night and first long-distance gold in 104 years, as his training partner Galen Rupp got America's first men's flat long-distance track medal since 1964 with silver. The bronze went to Ethiopia's Tariku Bekele, as he held off his brother, Kenenisa.
More On Rupp's Historic Day:
- RR: Tim Layden: "Farah, Rupp Solidify Brotherhood With Historic Finish In Olympic 10k" Sports Illustrated
- Kenenisa Bekele On Rupp And Farah: "I knew they were dangerous, but I can't stop them." Oregonian
- MB: FARAH WINS! RUPP SILVER. SALAZAR SEALS HIS LEGACY!!!
- I Cried Watching Rupp Get Silver
- Oh my GOD what is Rupp going to do in the 5000??????
- RUPP COULD HAVE WON IT
- Cam Levins nowhere to be seen on final lap
- What happened to Ritz
10,000m: Tirunesh Dibaba Makes The Case For Being The Greatest Ever The Tirunesh Dibaba/Vivian Cheruiyot dual did not live up to the hype, as Dibaba was simply stunning the final 500 meters, crushing the field to assert her claim to best female distance runner ever. Sally Kipyego
got second, Vivian Cheruiyot third. Afterwards, Dibaba said she wants to run a marathon next year.
*MB: Dibaba!!? wtf *OFFICIAL WOMENS 10 000M THREAD
LRC 1,500 Round 1: The Favorites And All 3 Americans Advance But Not Without Some Intrigue Andrew Wheating has been doing more swimming than running, Nate Brannen has been just running, Nick Willis is/was planning for the final, Asbel Kiprop is trying to save energy, and Nixon Chepseba nearly fell. It doesn't matter. All of them are in the semifinal. LRC recap, analysis, and post-race athlete reaction.
*Nick Willis Fitter Than When He Got Silver In Beijing He says he's been so excited it's been hard for him to sleep more than 6 hours a night.
*MB: Chepseba has been reinstated to the 1500m *NBC snubs Wheating!!! *The Official Men's 1,500m Thread
Scientist Who Has Studied 100,000 Runners Says Don't Listen To Quacks - Running Is Good For You "It's important to not rush to any conclusions that 10 to 20 miles a week is the optimal dose."
Ryan Hall Talks To LetsRun.com
LRC Ryan Hall Hoping To Have "Best Stuff Ever" At 2012 London Olympic Marathon On Friday, LetsRun.com spent over 30 minutes talking with Ryan Hall. An optimistic Hall talked about his training has turned around, his goal for London,
how he still thinks he's learning a ton, how he thinks his best marathon is ahead of him, and a whole lot more. We got Hall to give us the specifics of his training which has recently been changed to emphasize speed more often. Is he back at altitude? Hint: He gave the interview from the birthplace of LetsRun.com. How much mileage does he do? 20 x 1k? 10 miles of in and out 400s? *Discuss
*LRC Help Pick Ryan Hall's Shoes For The Olympics Asics made 3 pairs of specially-designed shoes for Hall and he wants your input as to what he should wear.
*5,639-Word NY Times Front Page Sports Article On The Faith-Coached Ryan Hall Sara Hall: "The Bible is not going to tell you how to be a good runner ... I don't think Ryan is looking at the Bible for a formula, necessarily. There are certain things that God highlights for him that he applies to his training."
Amateur Hour II
Update: Nike Responds (Like We Thought They Would) "Gaining entry into the Nike box is an informal process and we plan to review our protocol for access for future events." *MB: Mark Block: Nike
LRC Why Was A Man In The Midst Of A 10-Year Doping Ban Enjoying The 2012 US Olympic Track & Field Trials From The Nike Sky Box? If you thought the days of looking the other way at doping were totally over, then you need to read this. Supposed former agent/coach Mark Block, who is in the midst of a 10-year doping ban, was seen by LetsRun.com njoying the Trials in the sky box of the #1 sponsor of both USATF and the Olympic Trials - Nike. All we can say is shameful. *MB: Discuss
2012 Monaco DL *Full Results
LRC: Evan Jager Breaks The American Steeplechase Record Evan Jager got the AR in just the 5th steeple of his life. Medalling at London isn't out of the question. Only a steeple recap above, but in other action, Asbel Kiprop made running 3:28.88
look easy as Nick Willis ran a 3:30.35 PR.
And in the 800m Duane Solomon is now the fastest active American as he blitzed a 1:43.44 ahead
of Nick Symmonds.
*Evan Jager Race Highlight Video
LRC Asbel Kiprop Reasserts Himself As The Olympic Favorite By Running A Sensational 3:28.88 The defending Olympic champ made a statement by running a 53.43 last lap with a 26-flat last 200 to mark himself as the London favorite. At the same time, Nick Willis marked himself as a medal contender with a stellar 3:30. Robby Andrews was a DNF and Centro and Manzano were DNSs. *Race Video
LRC Duane Solomon Is Now The 5th-Fastest American Ever At 1:43.44 Americans, it's official - you can dream of your first 800 men's medal since 1992 after Duane Solomon and Nick Symmonds both ran in the 1:43s, but on this night, the hype justifiably belongs to Solomon, who had a massive PR. *MB: DUANE!!!
LRC The Rest Of The Meet: Alysia Montano, Jenny Simpson And Caster Semenya Disappoint In the women's 800, Semenya was awful throughout and Montano didn't look like a medal contender. In the 3k, Simpson was unable to break 70 on her final lap.
Olympic Track & Field Action Has Started *Daily Schedule/Results *Complete T&F Schedule *Entry Lists *Watch Live
*IAAF Event-By-Event Olympic Previews *LRC Check Prediction Contest Scores/Change Picks
W 5,000: LRC Meseret Defar Stunningly Stops The Coronation Of Tiruneh Dibaba The script was all set. Tirunesh Dibaba was to complete the "Double Double" and become the first women track athlete with four individual golds. Only thing was, the person making history ended up being Meseret Defar.
*Reuters Defar's golden focus pays dividends Defar said she's had great health and says she changed training to prepare for a tactical race. The religious Defar says she feels "born again."
*Defar Says She Will Now Move Up To The Marathon She's ran one half before in 67:45. Dibaba has said she's making the same move, so their rivalry isn't over yet.
The Bolt Show
- Philip Hersh Criticizes Bolt's Self-Proclamation To "Legend Status" Hersh: "If it were the Last Supper, Bolt would take the seat in the middle. He turned amusing self-aggrandizement into annoying self-apotheosis."
- RR: WSJ Says Don't Try To Deny It, You Loved Every Minute Of Bolt's Celebration "You like this stuff or you don't; a fancy end-zone dance is definitely not everyone's favorite thing, and I'm sure it's pushed some fans away from the game. But these are the kind of people who hate pizza and scream at dogs."
- Seb Coe: "Bolt was good, Rudisha was magnificent." Coe: "[Rudisha] had the balls to go in there and think 'I am so much better than anyone else that I could [run a world record]' ... It was the performance of the Games, not just of track and field, but of the Games."
- USA Today: Michael Phelps And Usain Bolt, Who's Better? Sebastian Coe would say David Rudisha.
- NY Times On Usain Bolt: "Once You're A Legend, Then What Do You Do?"
Other Olympic And Non-Olympic News
- Paula Radcliffe Has Been In Tears Over Olympic Heartbreak As She Prepares For Foot Surgery
- No DMR? IAAF Create New World Relays Competition They list events as 4 x 100, 4 x 400, 4 x 200, 4 x 800 and 4 x 1,500, but say nothing about a DMR. We're not sure how you can have a relay meet without a DMR.
- NY Times Asks If Race Walking Should Be Thrown Out Of The Games Since All The TV Coverage Makes It Obvious They're "Cheating" We wouldn't miss it.
- Belgian Cyclist Out Of Olympics After Appearing In Photos Being Carried Into A Cab While Passed Out Drunk But he wasn't in the athlete village, disturbing anyone or - as far as the article says - making a scene or causing trouble. Seems like an overreaction to make him miss the closing ceremony.
Could Be Was Epic:
LRC David Rudisha Becomes A Legend By Winning Gold With A World Record In The Greatest 800 Race In History updated David Rudisha went after in London and delivered, as he became the first person to break 1:41 in the 800. The rest of the field went after Rudisha and delivered as well as 7 of 8 runners PRed in a truly epic race where places 1-8 set new all-time best time-for-place marks. Duane Solomon and Nick Symmonds became the 2nd and 3rd Americans to break 1:43 and amazingly neither medalled.
*MB: Rudisha 1:40.91 WORLD RECORD!!
*Epstein: How low can Rudisha go in 800?
*Science Of The Sport Analyzes The Olympic 800 Final And Rudisha's Race Strategy
LRC Duane Solomon And Nick Symmonds React To Their Historic Olympic 800s That Leave Them Short Of The Medals The sub-1:43 club has two more Americans. Unbelievably both of them will leave London without medals. Nick Symmonds ran faster in the final than he thought was humanly possible for him.
*IAAF Article On Rudisha's WR 17-year-old Kenyan Timothy Kitum, who got bronze, said, "[Rudisha] told me he was going to go fast for the line. He advised me not to follow him and to go for silver. That's why (Mohammed) Aman failed. That was our plan."
*Usain Bolt & David Rudisha: Olympic Stars United In Greatness The 800 was crazy; British runner Andrew Osagie's 1:43.77 was enough to get him 4th all-time UK and would have won any of the past three Olympic finals ... but here it got him last.
*Ultimate Track Showdown: Bolt Vs. Rudisha Over 400 Both have hinted they'd be up for it. Props to whatever meet organizer makes this happen. *MB: More Dominant: Bolt or Rudisha ?
LRC USA's Alysia Johnson Montano Makes Olympic 800m Final So did all the other big names, including Pamela Jelimo, Janeth Jepkosgei, Caster Semenya and Mariya Savinova, setting up a great final on Saturday.
A MUST-READ BEFORE THE 800 FINALS - LRC Johnny Gray Guaranteed Duane Solomon Would Medal One Month Ago!! You've got to read this article. LRC visitor Silver Lumsdaine sat down with Gray on July 12th after Solomon had recently completed a crazy-fast 700/300 workout back when everyone else thought Solomon should be happy to be in London. After the workout, Gray predicted Solomon would medal. Gray says Solomon did the 700 in 1:27.72, which is 1:40.26 800 pace. *MB: Discuss
*A Great Read Kenya's David Rudisha is favourite for 800m, thanks to an Irish Brother
*WSJ.com On Rudisha: "He is the most dominant track-and-field athlete at the Olympic Games."
Thursday AM: Dream Of Bolt, Rudisha & Pistorius In 4 X 400 Ends Jamaica dropped out, Kenya tripped and finished last and South Africa didn't finish either, but they were at least put into the final on appeal. *Kenyan Paper: 2012 Misery Continues *MB Discussion
*Eaton Leads By 222 After 8 Events
*MB: Eaton Continues To Excel In Decathlon
1,500 Aftermath: Kenya's Nixon Chepseba Offered Himself To Kenyan Teammates They should have had him or the injured Kiprop sacrifice themselves, as Kiplagat wasted a ton of energy.
Wednesday PM: LRC Women's 1,500 Semis: Jenny Simpson & Hannah England Go Home As Morgan Uceny And Shannon Rowbury Advance To Final Uceny and Rowbury automatically qualified for the final but the dream of an Olympic medal will have to wait for 4 more years for last year's gold and silver medallists. America's world champion Jenny Simpson finished last in her heat and then made no excuses afterwards. Rowbury gave credit to Leo Manzano for inspiring her.
*LRC: Catching Up With Some Of The Leading Foreigners In The 1,500 We give you additional thoughts from Aregawi, Kostetskaya, Jamal, Weightman and Dobriskey.
Wednesday AM: LRC M 5,000m Round 1, All 3 Americans Advance And Medal Chances Increase As Gebrhiwet Injured, Soi Out It's a new era. For the first time since 1932, America has three runners in the Olympc 5,000m final as Galen Rupp, Bernard Lagat and Lopez Lomong all made it. One of them, not the one you'd expect, talked about winning it. Their odds got better as Hagos Gebrhiwet revealed he is injured and Edwin Soi went out.
W800 1st Round: LRC Race Recap: The Big Names That Start, Including The Three Americans, Advance As Sarah Attar Makes History The big names that took to the track all advanced, including the three Americans, including an injured Geena Gall and Alysia Montano, who had the fastest time of the day. But the day belonged to the two slowest runners of the day, one of whom was Pepperdine's and Saudi Arabia's Sarah Attar. Ethiopian star Fantu Magiso was a big-name DNS.
LRC Column/Editorial: Sarah Attar Makes Olympic Track And Field History For Saudi Arabia In 800m, But Is It Enough? Imagine the outrage if the South African delegation made its black athletes walk behind the whites and told them to not give interviews or mingle with whites."It's time for the IOC to stop supporting sexism. Gender discrimination should be treated no differently than racial discrimination. ... How about for a start, the Saudi women come out first at the closing ceremonies? Come out before anyone else enters the stadium, that would be a step in the right direction."
*LRC Meet Sarah Attar - Saudi Arabia's First Female Track & Field Athlete The woman who will make history in traditional Islamic attire at the Olympics is a Pepperdine sophomore who runs in shorts during the collegiate season. She's never run an 800 in college, but that's what she'll run in London.
*Alberto Salazar Says Mo Farah And Galen Rupp Are Feeling Recovered And Ready For 5k
*Allyson Felix Looking For Redemption In 200 As All 3 Americans Advance To The Final
*Usain Bolt And Yohan Blake Prepare For The 200 Showdown In What They Both Consider Their Best Event
*Asafa Powell Won't Compete In Jamaican 4 X 1 Due To Injury He's out for the rest of the season, but plans on being back in 2013.
- 100 Hurdles: Sally Pearson Wins Gold In Olympic Record As US Athletes Take Spots 2 Through 4 Dawn Harper took silver and said, "I feel like I kind of shut some people up. You got to talk about Dawn a little bit." Kellie Wells was 3rd, Lolo Jones 4th.
*RR: Tim Layden: Jones Misses Glory In 100 Hurdles While Manzano Wraps Historic 1,500 "Because of the compressed nature of multiple-gold medal nights in the Games, it is not uncommon for journalists to find themselves stuck in the basement, watching history on a tiny screen while collecting quotes from athletes who performed in earlier events. It is unavoidable. Yet this moment was far more instructive."
*Lolo Jones Leaving The Olymipcs "Broken-Hearted" Again
*Pearson: "I didn't realize how close Dawn was until the end. I said in my head, 'Please don't let this happen. I need this.'" *IAAF Quotes
*Google's New Olympics Doodle Lets You Compete In Hurdles Go here to play the game.
- HJ: Russia's Ivan Ukhov Wins HJ Gold As US's Erik Kynard Gets Silver And Jesse Williams A Disappointing 9th Ukhov's come a long way since trying to high jump drunk at a meet back in 2008.
*Top-Ranked UK HJer Robbie Grabarz Finishes In A 3-Way Tie For Bronze Tied with Canada's Derek Drouin and Mutaz Essa Barshim of Qatar.
- Discus: Robert Harting Celebrates Discus Gold By Doing Lap Of Honor And Going Over Hurdles Set Up For The 100H Final He also ripped his shirt; officials tried to stop him. Definitely a discus thrower we'll remember.
IAAF Full Tuesday Recap
- TJ: After All The Drama, Phillips Idowu Fails To Make TJ Final
- Shot Put: Nadzeya Ostapchuk Defeates NZ's Valerie Adams To Get Shot Put Gold For Belarus
*Valerie Adams Admits Having To Deal With Her Name Being Omitted From Official Start List Stressed Her Mentally As She Failed To Defend SP Title
- USATF: All Expected US Athletes Move Through Tuesday Qualifying Rounds Smoothly
MondayW Steeple: LRC World Champion Yuliya Zaripova Becomes Olympic Steeplechase Champion Zaripova was a deserving champion as she led from to start to finish, getting rid of her challengers with a blistering last lap. The US's Emma Coburn PRed to finish night as Bridget Franek struggled. *Discuss
*Updated: Americans Emma Coburn And Bridget Franek React On Their First Olympic Final
W 1,500 1st Round: LRC Jenny Simpson Survives A Big Scare As Three Americans Advance And Genzebe Dibaba Goes Home (link fixed) A letup at the line is what seemingly saved the reigning world champion Jenny Simpson from bombing out in the first round. The #4 seed Genzebe Dibaba did go home.
*MB: What was Jenny Simpson doing?
More Monday Results:
- USA! Jen Suhr Wins Gold, Denying Yelena Isinbayeva Her 3rd Consecutive Olympic PV Title; Michael Tinsley Gets The Surprise Silver In The 400 Hurdles Cuba's Yarisley Silva also beat Isinbayeva to take PV silver. In the w400H heats, all three Team USA athletes advanced to the Wednesday night final.
*30-Year-Old Isinbayeva Considering Rio Games "My plan was to get a gold medal here in London and then retire but I don't want to retire with a bronze medal so maybe I will think about Rio so at least I can get my gold medal there in Rio and then decide."
- All Three US Women Advance In First Round Of 100m Hurdles Includes US athlete quotes from all events.
- Defending Olympic 400H Champ Melaine Walker Goes Home Early
- IAAF Full Day 4 Recap
M Steeple: LRC Ezekiel Kemboi Wins Second Olympic Steeplechase Title - Is He The Greatest Steeplechaser In History? Kemboi blitzed everyone in the last 300 and had time to finish out in lane eight once again before doing his now-patented victory dance. Mahiedine Mekhissi-Benabbad
took silver as he did in 2008 and Kenya's Abel Mutai won bronze. Defending champ Brimin Kipruto was tripped with 700 to go and heroically tried to rally, but ended up fifth. Evan Jager and Donn Cabral were 6th and 8th.
*Ezekiel Kemboi Says His Track Career Is Over Now And He'll Be Switching To The Marathon
100 Final: BOLT: Tim Layden: "In many ways, this one was better." (link fixed) If you ever thought there was a better short sprinter in the world think again. Usain Bolt delivered on the biggest stage once again in the gretest 100m final ever. All 8 men would have broken 10.00 but Asafa Powell, the man who has gone sub 10 more than anyone else in the world, pulled up before the finish.
LRC Man Throws Beer Bottle That Nearly Hits Usain Bolt, Gets Beaten By Female Judo Champ
*Lightning Strikes Twice: Usain Bolt Defends His 100m Title With A 9.63 Olympic Record Yohan Blake was second and Justin Gatlin just outleaned Tyson Gay for 3rd. Ryan Bailey was 5th.
*MB: Bolt 9.64 OR!!!! *Justin Gatlin! UGH *Bolt pauses interview to show respect to the USA anthem
*Asafa Powell Pulls Up In 100 Final With Injured Groin And Jogs In For Last Place
W Marathon: LRC Tiki Gelana Wins 2012 Olympic Marathon As Shalane Flanagan And Kara Goucher Finish 10th And 11th The star-studded field featured Mary Keitany, Edna Kiplgat, and Liliya Shobukhova, but in the end it was the marathon's new star Tiki Gelana who got the win. American Shalane Flanagan was 10th and teammate Kara Goucher 11th. LRC analysis, recap and more from London.
*Kara Goucher After Marathon Finish: "Honestly, I haven't felt that kind of pain since I had a baby. I'm serious." Flanagan said all the turns really broke her rhythm and "trashed her legs."
*IAAF Marathon Recap *MB: OFFICIAL WOMENS MARATHON THREAD
- Women's 400 Final: Sanya Richards-Ross Gets Gold, GB's 2008 Champ Christine Ohuruogu 2nd World champion Amantle Montsho was 4th.
*SRR Comletes Climb To Top SI.com
*BBC: Ohuruogu's Disappointed To Lose Her Olympic Title And Leave Only With The Silver
- M 400 Semis: US Olympic History: This Will Be The First Time In Olympic History The US Hasn't Had A Man In The Olympic 400 Final Bryshon Nellum was the first out of the final and NCAA Champ Tony McQuay was 3rd out (includes recap of other US performances and quotes from Day 3).
*Oscar P Fails To Make 400m Final He did, however, exchange racing bibs with World Champ Kirani James.
- TJ Final: GB's Yamilé Aldama 5th In TJ; Kazakhstan's Olga Rypakova Takes Gold
- IAAF Day 3 Full Recap
- Saturday Leftover: Jessica Ennis Video: Says She's Passing On The Opportunity To Run The Open 100m Hurdles Even though the 12.54 she ran on Friday would be good enough to win most previous Olympic Games.
More Saturday Stuff
Jessica Ennis, Mo Farah And Greg Rutherford Get Gold On Britain's Greatest Olympic Night Ever 80,000 fans got what they wanted - gold for Britain. Mo Farah and Jessica Ennis delivered as promised and the bonus was Greg Rutherford's gold in the long jump on a special night for Britain.
- IAAF Full Day 2 Recap - All Events
- Heptathlon: UK Poster Girl Jessica Ennis Wins Olympic Heptathlon Russia's World Champ Tatyana Chernova got the bronze and defending Olympic Champ Natallia Dobrynska was a DNF.
- LJ: Greg Rutherford Gets LJ Gold For UK With The Shortest Winning Jump In 48 Years Will Claye got the bronze for the US.
- Women's 100: Fast Final As 6 Go Sub-11: Jamaica's Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce Repeats, Carmelita Jeter Takes Silver, Veronica Campbell-Brown Bronze The US also took 4-5 with Tianna Madison and Allyson Felix.
- LRC Women's Olympic Steeplechase First Round In The Books: (Super-Pumped) Franek And Coburn Make The Final The favorites made the final despite a fall and so did Americans Bridget Franek and Emma Coburn. The joys of the Olympics came out when Franek learned she had made her first final.
- One Day, Three Golds For Hosts GB
- Men's 100m Round 1: Ryan Bailey Outpaces Bolt, Blake, Gay
- Former World Champ Kim Collins Reportedly Doesn't Run Because He Visited His Wife In A Hotel Room
- Dwain Chamber Happy WIth Warm Welcome From UKers As He Wins His 100 Heat In 10.02
- Men's 400m: LaShawn Merritt Goes Out With Injury
- Blade Runner Cruises To Next Round NYTimes
*Oscar P's Fitness Trainer Didn't Realize Oscar Was An Amputee For 6 Months
*Good Read: SI's David Epstein Takes An In-Depth Look At Pistorius And Any Advantage He May Have
- Science Of The Sport On Oscar P's Advantage
- 400H: SA's World Champs 3rd Placer LJ van Zyl Out In Heats Of 400H
- US News: Recap Of US Performances From Saturday Finals And Quotes From Athletes
*US Gets Athletes Through To Finals In m100, m400, wPV, wSteeple (Includes Quotes)
- LRC Guess Who Was In Monaco On Friday? Banned Agent Mark Block The banned agent Mark Block, who just happened to be hanging out at the Nike hospitality suite for the Olympic Trials, just happened today to be in Monaco, site of the Diamond League meet. Evidence also points to him also being at the Penn Relays, Mt. SAC and the Jamaican Invite. Plus he was in Daegu last year. And a trusted source says Block drank a celebratory beer in "Cap's Corner" at the Trials, where he also watched the women's 100 from the Nike box and not just the 200. Hey, Nike - It's pretty easy; why don't you ask John Capriotti, your Global Director of Athletics, if he knew Block was in the VIP area. If so, fine or suspend him for poor judgement. At a minimum, tell him, "Block's presence is unacceptable." And tell your star athletes Jason Richardson and Carmelita Jeter the same thing.
- IAAF Announces 9 Doping Suspensions And The Worldwide Press Eats It Up:
Rojo Nine Over-Hyped Doping Suspensions Or A Savvy PR Move Gone Too Far? Headlines across the globe are talking about the 9 doing suspensions announced by the IAAF on Wednesday. Yet LetsRun.com co-founder Robert Johnson finds himself not happy with the way the development was announced and broadcast to the world. *MB: IAAF finds 6 new dopers using biological passport
- LRC 8:16 Spanish Steeplechaser Dropped From 2012 Olympic Team Amid EPO/HGH Doping Probe A local Spanish paper has released a reported email exchange between 8:16 steepler Angel Mullera and a doctor from
Saudia Arabia Sends Women To Olympics
LRC Meet Sarah Attar - Saudi Arabia's First Female Track & Field Athlete The woman who will make history in traditional Islamic attire at the Olympics is a Pepperdine sophomore who runs in shorts during the collegiate season. She's never run an 800
in college, but that's
what she'll run in London.
*NY Times: Attar's Family Asked School Website To Take Down Photos Of Her Competing In Singlet And Shorts
*Philip Hersh Says Recent Gender News Isn't Quite As Good As It Seems Still needs to generate change at home.
Today Is The Last Day In The Olympic Stadium
- IAAF Day 8 Preview: The Last Day On The Track Is Highlighted By Men's 5000, 4x1, and Women's 800 Also the women's 4x4, HJ and men's jav.
- NY Times Catches Up With Galen Rupp Recovering From His 10,000 And Getting Ready For The 5k Apparenlty they found a way to get a mobile cryosauna brought to their London hotel so him and Farah could use it to help recover.
- Has Caster Semenya Been "Sandbagging It" All Season? After A Terrible Season She Ran The Fastest Semi-Final In 1:57.67 We'll find out today.
- Sunday: Japanese 2:07 Man Arata Fujiwara Is Hoping To Beat The Kenyan/Ethiopian Curve And Medal In The Olympic Marathon
LRC Asks Carmelita Jeter & Jason Richardson About Mark Block
Latest: Pat Forde of Yahoo Sports Picks Up On Controversy
LRC Carmelita Jeter And Jason Richardson Answer Questions About Banned Agent Mark Block LRC's Weldon Johnson asked Jeter and Richardson about their association with banned agent Mark Block. Jeter and Richardson, to their credit, didn't dodge the questions. To say there was tension in the air is an understatement. *Discuss
*Associated Press Picks Up Story: US sprinter Carmelita Jeter defends friendship with suspended agent Mark Block
*The Guardian Picks Up Story: "A wonderful night for the USA's athletics team turned sour when Carmelita Jeter was questioned about her links with the controversial former coach, Mark Block."
*NY Daily News *Daily Mail *San Diego Tribune
Day 7 Olympic Photo Gallery: Rudisha And Bolt
Day 6 Photo Gallery: Allsyon Felix, Aries Merritt, Brittney Reese, Women's 1,500m Semis
Day 5 Photo Gallery: Leo 1,500m Silver, Men's High Jump, Men's 800m Semis, Men's Discus Final
Day 4 Photo Gallery: King James, Felix Sanchez, Jenn Suhr, Women's Steeple
Day 3 Photo Gallery: Men's 100, Men's Steeple, Women's 400, More
Women's Olympic Marathon Photo Gallery
- Julia Lucas Recovering From Trials Disappointment By Hitting Up The Road Circuit On the Trials, she said, "Running a safe race would have meant that I would be in London. Of course I would rather be in London. I just got mad watching that race and I went into my own race saying that I wasn't going to run in a tentative and what I considered dishonorable way. I was going to go after it. I think that for the top three women at the Trials to go is the right thing. And Kim Conley deserved to go because she got third. So do I wish I had run it differently? Yes, I wish I could have won the race. Do I wish I would have intentionally slowed the pace in order to get fourth and still go? No. That's the opposite of what I love about the sport."
- Mathew Kisorio Admits Doping He also claims EPO use is widespread in Kenya.
- Chris Solinsky To Coach At University Of Portland
More Bolt And 100m News
- Usain Bolt: "This one means more because a lot of people were doubting me saying a lot of things that a lot of people could beat me."
- Olympic 100m Final Lego Style
- The Telegraph: "Athletes Striving To Be Faster, Higher, Stronger ... And Drunker After Events Start To Finish" This one isn't actually about Bolt, but it probably will be after his events are done.
- "Weird" Olympic Stadium Security Rules Frustrate Bolt
- *MB: Bolt takes 41 steps vs everyone else's 44...
- Afghanistan's Only Female Athlete Happy To Have Had Olympic Experience www.telegraph.co.uk She ran 14.42 in the first round of the 100.
Day 2 Photo Gallery: Olympic 10,000m Final Photo Gallery
You Might Want To Update Your LRC Prediction Contest: Tirunesh Dibaba Confirms She Will Race Olympic 5,000
Mark Block Talks About His "Mistake"
LRC Mark Block Gives His Side Of The Story The banned agent talks to flotrack and says he travels to track meets across the globe as a form of therapy, says he technically he still can coach athletes (yet is never asked if he actually does), says he went into the Nike VIP suite - where he felt at home - at the Olympic Trials because it was cold, and feels as if he's paid a steep price for his mistake of ten years ago. He never tells or is asked what his "mistake" was - namely the doping of his world champion wife. We obviously disagree with his take on things and tell you why.
Day 1 Friday Photo Gallery: Women's 10k And Men's Shot Final, Round 1 Steeple, 1,500
Day 1 US Non-Distance: Reese Hoffa Gets US's First Track Medal With A Bronze In The Shot Put 2008 champ Tomasz Majewski repeated to win over David Storl. US's Christian Cantwell and Ryan Whiting were 4th and 9th. All US runners advanced in the first rounds of the w100, w400, and m400 hurdles. Carmelita Jeter won her heat in 10.83.
The Conscience Of The Sport
LRC What Are Carmelita Jeter And Jason Richardson Doing With Mark Block? All year long, two of the America's three individual track World Champions from last year have been traveling the globe and associating with convicted doper Mark Block. Whether it's been dinner in California, a walk to the track in Jamaica or a pre-meet stretch in China, Jeter and Richardson haven't been shy about continuing to associate with someone deeply involved in the BALCO scandal, who is currently supposed to be banned from the sport for ten years. All we want to know is "Why?"
LRC We Rank The US Mid-D And Distance Olympians' Odds For A Medal No one has the guts to rank all the US Olympians in terms of their medal hopes but us. While we're a little fearful of the athletes' reactions, we think the piece is very positive, as for the first time in recent memory, if not ever, the US men have a legitimate medal contender in every event. *Discuss
Help Out A LRCer Who Has Terminal Cancer: Help Cancer Guy
Craziest Sports Video Ever - Worth A Watch
A Legend Passes Too Young
LRC Eight-Time US Cross-Country Champion Pat Porter Dies In Plane Crash Updated: We've added a great photo of Porter with 3-time World XC Champ Lynn Jennings.
*Authorities: "There are no indications as to what may have caused this accident." Porter and his 15-year-old son and a neighbohood friend have perished.
Usain Bolt The Video Game Is Out
LRC Usain Bolt The Video Game For Iphone/Ipod - Q & A With Friend Of LRC Matt Taylor Bolt!, the Usain Bolt Iphone/Ipod free video game was released yesterday. We talk to LRC guest columnist Matt Taylor, who was instrumental in the game coming to fruition.