Payton Jordan *2011 PJordan Accepted Entries *LRC MB: Stanford Predictions
Several Interesting Stories Worth Reading
- Recommended Read Suzy Favor Hamilton Talks To Middle School Students About Falling Down On Purpose At 2,000 Olympics Unable to handle the pressure, Hamilton saved herself for Zürich (oh wait, that was actually in 2001) but now gives very inspiring speeches to youngsters showing them elite athletes are normal people too.
- One We Missed: ESPN W Looks At Alicia Shay's Comeback Ryan's widow is healthy again on the comeback.
- Venezuelan Runner With 8:39 Steeple PR Hopes Training In Kenya Will Get Him Down To 8:20
- 80 Top Ethiopian Athletes & Coaches Pledge $1 Million+ To Build Dam In Ethiopia The stars include Haile Gebrselassie, Kenenisa Bekele, Meseret Defar, Tirunesh Dibaba, Sileshi Sihine and Gebre Gebremariam.
- Japanese Runner Runs 15:17.84 PR After Being Fired From Corporate Team
News From Europe
- Former HJ World Record Holder Patrik Sjoberg Says He Was Sexually Abused By His Coach Despite the abuse, he respected him as a coach. "I hated him for everything he did to me but at the same time, you can't take away from him that he was a great coach. I thought that I couldn't train with anyone else." *2nd Article On Sexual Abuse
- Kelly Holmes: "Working in a sweet shop gave me the discipline needed to be a double Olympic champ."
- Brit Chris Thompson Wants UK Record Of 27:18.14
- After Being Not Invited To Royal Wedding, Tony Blair Travels To Rio To Talk About 2016 Olympics
- Germany's Sabrina Mockenhaupt Says She'll Run European Cup 10k On June 4th
Upcoming Action On The Road And Track
- Paula Radcliffe's 2nd Race Back From Pregnancy Will Be Bupa 10k Which Will Loop On Part Of The 2012 Marathon Course Mo Farah will also compete in the men's race; last year he set a national record of 27:44.
*Paula Radcliffe And Mo Farah To Compete At Bupa London 10,000
- Olympic 1,500 Champ Asbel Kiprop, Former World XC Champ Joeseph Ebuya, & Olympic
800m Champ Pamela Jelimo Headline Fields At Mumias Weekend Meeting In Kenya
*Kenyans Seeking World Qualifying Marks In Mumias Local Meet Of youngsters at these meets, Joseph Ebuya said: "These young guys are really competitive and winning against them is like winning a gold medal in a world event."
- Two-Time Event Winner & Olympian Anna Pierce Returns To Defend USA 1 Mile Road Titles At Medtronic TC 1 Mile In Minneapolis David Torrence says the prize money he won at this meet was "probably one of the biggest breaks" of his career and allowed him to train full time and improve.
- UK's Jessica Ennis To Return From Ankle Injury To Run Manchester 150m & 100m Hurdles Races
Payton Jordan *2011 PJordan Accepted Entries *LRC MB: Stanford Predictions
- UK's Chris Thompson May Benefit From Chris Solinsky's Pacing At Stanford 10k In His Attempt To Better The UK National Record His current PR is 27:29 and Jon Brown's current record is 27:18. Solinsky is supposed to pace for a target time of 27:20. *Euros Silver Medalist Chris Thompson Shooting To Break UK 10k Record Of 27:18 At Stanford
- After Dropping Out Of Boston, Alastair Cragg Looking For Some Redemption On The Track In Stanford 5k And Prefontaine Classic 10k Thinks he can be under 13:20 at Stanford and 27:20 at Prefontaine.
- Q&A With Olympic Steeplechaser Anna Pierce, Who Will Run Stanford 1,500m On Sunday
- Interview With Matt Tegenkamp About Getting Ready For His Debut 10k He says even though he will run the 10k, he still won't run World Cross. Hopefully he eventually decides to cross that off his "won't do" list as well.
- Runner's World Interview With Chris Solinsky, Who Will Be Pacing Teammates Tim Nelson And Matt Tegenkamp To "A" Standard At Stanford 10k MB: Matt Tegenkamp Runs the 10k & Solinsky pacing Nelson, Teg to do 10k?
- The Oregonian: Chris Solinsky Says Pacing Is "More Nerve-Wracking" Than Racing He Also talks about how the Stanford 10k last year, where he set the American Record, was a huge mental breakthrough for him.
- Six Oregon Ducks Running Stanford
The Good, The Bad, And The Drugs
- Good: NYRR Study Maintains That NYC Marathon Generates Far More Economic Benefits Than It Costs The City This study is in response to NYPD, which says it will start charging race organizers for traffic control which will cost the NYRR millions.
- Dutch Businessman Gert-Jan van Wijk Giving Financial Aid To John Mutai Kipkorir, Who Finished 2nd (2:17:35) In The Controversial Utrecht Marathon Apparently the Utrecht Marathon didn't just offer foreign athletes less prize money, but they didn't let them have professional entry, an elite start (they had to start with the recreational runners), or drink support after 30k. From the sounds of it they essentially went out of their way to make sure a Dutch runner won.
- Bad: Sweden's Former HJ WR Holder Patrick Sjoberg Revealed That His Coach And Stepfather Viljo Nousiainen Sexually Abused Him As A Young Boy *2nd Article
- Drugs: UK Anti-Doping Has Backed US's Attempt To Bypass IOC's Controversial Eligibility Rule For Athletes Banned From Olympics
- LaShawn Merritt's Fight Against Olympic Ban Gives UK's Dwain Chambers A Small Hope That BOA Might Lift His Lifetime Olympic Ban
- BOA Not Backing Down From Its Lifetime Olympic Ban Policy Even With IOC Considering Bending Rules For LaShawn Merritt
Meb Running New York 69 Days Before Olympic Trials
LRC: Meb Attempting New York / Olympic Trials Double Meb Keflezighi joined the live NYRR 2011 ING New York City Marathon "Opening Day" show from Columbus Circle to announce he was running this year's marathon, 69 days before the US Olympic Trials in Houston (in 2004, Meb did the Olympic
New York double 70 days apart). Meb will take on defending champ Gebre Gebremariam, while defending women's champ Edna Kiplagat will face Jen Rhines. Athletes Apolo Anton Ohno and Curtis Granderson were on hand for the marathon kickoff along with celebrities Al Roker and Ed Norton.
*USA Today Article Meb also reveals that he is recovered from knee injury he sustained right before NYC Half that occurred during an "altercation with a dog in Central Park."
- BAA Concedes: Historic Boston Course Is Not World Record Eligible
*After Meeting With IAAF Official, B.A.A. Has Decided Not To Follow Through With Petition To Have Mutai's Time Count As A WR
- Desiree Davila Throws Out First Pitch At Tigers Game
Drake Earlier In The Week
- Alan Webb & Sara Hall Win Uphill And Into Wind Road Mile To Kick Off Drake Relays Weekend Webb defeated Olympian Boaz Lalang and WChampionships semfinalist Peter Vander Westhuizen by running 4:08. Webb: "We need to switch directions and go
other way." Wait, we thought the wind didn't matter.
Pre-Race Article On Webb "I've been struggling the last couple years, but the last six months I feel like I'm digging myself out of a little hole."
*Road Mile Photos
- Recommended Read / Sad News: Drake Relays No Longer Giving Out Watches To Winners, Will Go With Oakley Sunglasses Sadly, they don't think kids with cellphones give a **** about watches.
- Injury Almost Caused Lolo Jones To Miss Drake
- Recommended Read: Profile Of Oklahoma State Track Coach Dick Weiss, Who Uses Coaching To Create Good Citizens Interested in coaching? Read this article to see the impact a coach can make.
- After Being Laughed At By Meet Official Who Said He Didn't Belong In Invitational Heat, Sprinter Jordan Boase Wins Kansas Relays Elite 200m
Meet NCAA Steeple Champion Matt Hughes, Who Has Flourished At Louisville Under Brice Allen Since Giving Up His 1st Love (Hockey) "I know I'm going to have a huge target on my back."
Düsseldorf Marathon Is This Weekend
- 18-Year-Old Ethiopian With 2:23:06 Marathon PR Wants Course Record In Gerrmany Next Week A photo is included so you can decide for yourself if she looks 18.
- Former Steepler Günther Weidlinger Wants Olympic Qualifier In Düsseldorf
European News: Elvan Abeylegesse Is Pregnant And Will Miss World Champs The Turk got silver at 5,000 and 10,000m in 2008.
Tuesday Is Last Day For Those In Europe To Order Olympic Tickets Those of us in the US are out of luck and can't order tickets.
US/NCAA Track Action - Results: *Jesse Owens Classic *ACC Results *Oregon Relays *Princeton Larry Ellis *Arkansas McDonnell Invy
Craziness At The ACC Meet: Florida State NCAA Long Jump Champion Ngoni Makusha Runs Legal 9.97 In His First 100m In 4 Years, Florida State Storms Back For 7th Straight Title Makashua had never run a 100m in college until the ACC meet, and he ran 9.97 for the win. Simply amazing. Florida State pulled out all the stops
to storm back from 40 points
down to win the title. Makusha wasn't
even the meet MVP,
as Maurice Mitchell got it after his 20.17 in the 200m and runner-up in the 100m. *Thread here. However, distance fans will be most impressed by Irishman Ciaran O'Lionaird (see below).
10k Man Ciaran O'Lionaird Beats Robby Andrews In 1,500m, Gets ACC Records In 1,500 And 5k To Lead FSU To ACC Title There was one way O'Lionaird was going to beat Andrews, and that was by running away from him - and that's what he did (barely). Ciaran built up a 5 second lead at the bell and held on barely against Andrews' patented kick for an ACC record (3:40) win (video on right of homepage or here). 2+ hours later he was back for a meet record in the 5,000m. *Thread Here
More US Track Action
- Ohio State's Jesse Owens Track Classic Penn State's Casimir Loxsom won 800 in 1:46.45, Ohio State's Cory Leslie won steeple/mile in 8:51.06 and 4:02.57. *MB: Loxsom!! 1:46
- Jeremy Wariner And Sayna Richards-Ross Win 400m At The Michael Johnson Invitational On a windy day, Wariner held off Berlin bronze medalist Renny Quow in last 100m to win with 45.61 to Quow's 45.69. Richards-Ross edged past Texas A&M's Jessica Beard, winning in 52.00 to Beard's 52.37.
- The Oregonian: Sophomore Anne Kesselring Is An "Emerging NCAA 800m Title Threat"
- Profile On Louisville's NCAA Steeple Champion Matt Hughes And His Ambitions For The Future
- IAAF On Kansas Relays: Kellie Wells & Lauryn Williams Continue Comebacks With Wins In The 100m Hurdles (12.75) And 100m (11.10)
- OTC's Sally Kipyego Gets Women's World Lead In 1,500 With 4:06.23; A.J. Acosta & Matt Centrowitz Miss Attempt At World Champs "A" Standard The standard is 3:35.0, but even with three rabbits they were still a ways off, as Centrowitz won in 3:42.49 on a windy day.
- Recap Of Oregon's Performances At Oregon Relays: OTC's Tyler Mulder Won 800 In 1:46.79, NFL Football Player Jordan Kent Won 400m Also Geena Gall of OTC and Oregon's Anne Kesselring finished 1-2 in the women's 800 with 2:02.04 and 2:02.44. *Top Results From Oregon Relays
- Arkansas 1,500 Oklahoma State's Thomas Farrell won in 3:42.23, Chris O'Hare 2nd, Dorian Ulrey 3rd, German Fernandez in 7th with 3:44.68. MB: Ulrey vs. Fernandez Tonight 9:00 CT
- Bershawn "Batman" Jackson Wins 400 Hurdles For 6th Time At Kansas Relays In 48.98
*Olympic 200m Champ Veronica Campbell-Brown Wins Kansas Relays In 22.95
- Larry Ellis Invitational - High Schoolers Eddie Owens & Edward Cheserek Crack All-Time Lists MB: Edward Cheserek Princeton 5k 14:02 & HS'er Eddie Owens 8:59 3k STEEPLE
Latest Boston And London News
- Science Of Sport Guys Cite Some Major Problems With The ARRS's Analysis, Which Said Boston Was "Not Excessively Aided" See the ARRS article below.
- NY Times: The Two-Hour Marathon, A Question Of When, Not If NYRR President Mary Wittenberg: "Monday certainly introduced the concept that, in the end, perhaps pure competition would be a greater driver than more of a mechanical race. That pure instinct to race helps people truly do things that they never thought they could do. In so many sports, it's mind over body."
- Gerry Lindgren FB Post On The Boston Course Controversy
- Association Of Road Racing Statisticians Takes A Look At Boston The conclusion was the race was 1:37-1:42 faster than a normal flat course, which they don't consider "Excessively Aided."
2011 London & Boston Were So Good They Continue To Dominate The News Cycle
LRC John Kellogg Explains How He "Predicted" The Unpredictable - A Sub-2:03:59 In Boston LetsRun.com's coaching guru explains the rationale behind his non-prediction that is making waves around the globe. Years of timed out-and-back and straight-shot tempos with the wind in Waco, Texas (and other windy Texas venues) proved invaluable to his understanding the effects of the wind. JK took a stab at converting the Boston performances by Mutai and Hall to London and Berlin and even reveals what would happen if the Boston Mutai raced the London Mutai.
LRC Week In Review: 13 Thoughts About The 2011 Virgin London And Boston Marathons We try to give out some thoughts about a glorious two days of marathoning. From it not being a good two days for North
debutants or US Olympic women, to Ryan Hall never runs a bad marathon, to stats showing how the wind helped the mid-packers, to you couldn't find two more deserving winners than the Mutais. All of that plus we give out our top contenders for the 2012 Olympic medals and praise Caroline Kilel while talking about kissing Dave Bedford's ***.
LRC Rojo Speaks: Boston - Please Stop This World Record Nonsense "(Boston), you are the most historic of all the major marathons and don't need publicity stunts ... You don't need a record to validate what happened. In fact, you shouldn't want it. Your race course has character and tradition behind it - all most of the others can do is get in a contest amongst themselves for time."Sad
Alvin Harrison, Former Olympic 400m Silver Medallist (And Drug Cheat), Getting Second Chance Coaching High School Team, Drunk Drives A High School Van At Arcadia, Flips Another Car, Jailed On $50,000 Bond Less than 10 years, ago he was on Oprah. Now he could be in prison for a while (we also were surprised to read he competed for the Dominican Republic last year and ran 47 seconds).
The Sport Loses A Legend *Grete Waitz's NYC Marathon Results
Grete Waitz Loses Battle With Cancer Waitz is best known for being a 9-time New York City Marathon champion, a class act, and a pioneer in the sport, but she also was a 4:00 1,500m runner and an 8:31 3,000m
runner. As a kid, watching her on ABC win
NYC every year was one of the site founders' earliest running memories. She will be missed. Thanks to Leo Kulinski for the photo. Another one here.
*Pay Your Respects In This Thread
*Grete Waitz: In The Long Run, A Legacy Of Triumph For Women And Sport
*IAAF: Grete Waitz, Distance Running Legend, Passes Away
*The Independent: Norwegian Marathon Legend Grete Waitz Dies Of Cancer At Age 57
*Runner's World: Remembering Grete Waitz
*Runner's World: 2005: When We First Learned Of Grete Waitz's Battle With Cancer
Virgin London Marathon *Watch Full Race On Demand *Photos
LRC Emmanuel Mutai Runs The Best 10km Ever In A Marathon To Destroy The Field & Arrive As One Of The World's Best
A lead pack that was a who's who of marathoning went through 30km together, but soon the race would be nothing but a coronation for Emmanuel Mutai, who destroyed the field with a 28:44 4th 10k and ended up with a 2:04:40 course record. Almost as big of a story as Mutai's
incredible run was the fact that the 2nd placer ended up being one of the all-time greats - Martin Lel - who shocked even himself in his first marathon since Beijing 2008. American Jason Lehmkuhle was the only elite American finisher as the three rookie American marathoners went out too fast and blew up - none worse than Mo Trafeh, who ran with the lead pack for 15 km.
LRC Women's Marathoning Has A New Star Named Mary Keitany Keitany knocked nearly 10 minutes off her personal best and knocked Liliya Shobukhova off her pedestal as the best in the world, as Keitany ran the first sub-2:20 since 2008 and made mincemeat of "undoubtedly" of the strongest women's field in London history. All together, a record 22 women broke 2:30 - but that didn't include US Olympian Magdalena Lewy-Boulet.
Haile G's Back & A Winner In Vienna Only Haile G could be upset with a solo 60:18 at age of 37 years and 364 days. Happy B-Day Haile!!!
- LA Times: Barry Bonds' Trial So Humiliating It Might Dissuade Athletes From Using Steroids "It's hard to imagine how any pro athlete, or any high school kid aspiring to be one, could look at Bonds' public disgrace and decide that taking steroids would be a good idea. Cheating doesn't just shrink sexual organs; it ravages reputations." *Barry Bonds Guilty Of Obstruction Of Justice
- Banned Coach Trevor Graham Says US Anti-Doping Agency Covering Up For US Coaches Graham coached drug cheats Justin Gatlin and Marion Jones and was given a lifetime ban by the USADA.
April Fools News
The Only Required Reading In The Industry
LRC: Week That Was: Flanagan Gets Bronze, Rupp Makes An Impressive Debut, An American Runs 2:27 At LA, And The US XC Dream Team Sure, we bet you know about Shalane Flanagan's bronze at World XC and Galen Rupp's half marathon in NYC. But we help put these in perspective and tell you about the American who ran 2:27 in LA (Amy Hastings) and wonder how well the US dream team of Lagat, Rupp, Solinsky, Tegenkamp and Ritz would do at World XC. And of course the most important news of the week, the fight at World XC.
Sad News: Sally Meyerhoff Killed In Cycling Accident The two-time All-American and US Olympic Trials qualifier as well former US champion at 25km was killed on Tuesday in a cycling accident at the young age of 27 while she trained for the Ironman World
Championship. *LRC MB: Sad News: Sally Meyerhoff Killed in Accident
*Abc15.com Article With Video On Meyerhoff's Death
*Ahwatukee.com Article On Meyerhoff's Death
*New York Road Runners Article
*More Sad News: Florida High School Track Athlete Sarah Landauer Dies After Collapsing At Practice
The Secret Is ... There Is No Secret
NCAA / US Action: Penn Relays & Drake Relays Are This Weekend *Watch Penn Live ($12.95) *Watch Drake Live ($10.95) *Penn Results *Drake Results *MB: Penn Relays 4xMILE Rankings, PENN RELAYS THURSDAY NIGHT RESULTS, Penn Relays 4x800 who ya got?
- Penn: AP: Villanova Wins 24th DMR Title As Boston College Wins Its First Penn Relays 4 x 1,500 Title Thanks To Caroline King "Caroline who?" you ask. Caroline King ran 4:12 to defeat the more famous Emily Infeld and Sheila Reid in the women's 4 x 1,500. In the men's DMR, an unheralded Villanova squad won for the 2nd time in three years as anchor Matthew Gibney showed his last 200 is nearly unbeatable in a tactical race, as he blew by NCAA mile champ and 3:36 man Miles Batty as well as 3:35 man Dorian Ulrey.
*Good Local Coverage: *Phillynews.com - Gibney: Penn Relays Feels Like Home Meet For Nova *Philly Inquirer - Slowest Winning Times Since 1973 *2011 Was Supposed To Be Year Of Villanova Women, But Matthew Gibney's Kick Makes It About Villanova Men *Nova's 1,200 Leg - Unheralded 3:48 Guy Brian Tetreault - Talks About His Clutch 3rd-Best Opening Leg A senior, Tetreault had never even run at Penn Relays in college until yesterday, but somehow he handed off in third. *Villanova Release About DMR
*Archive: 2009 Article On Gibney Anchoring Nova To Surprise DMR Win
- Decision As To Whether Jamaica's Top HS Sprinter Jazeel Murphy Will Run Penn Will Be Last Minute Decision
- Milesplit Recap Of HS Distance Races From Friday
- Texas A&M's Gabby Mayo Wins 7th Penn Relays Watch
- Writer Still Can't Believe Ajee Wilson Ran 2:03 To Pass Entire Field And Win Girls SMR
- Coming Back From Minor Drug Ban, Shelly-Ann Fraser Focusing On Running Fast, Not Worrying What Others Think Of Her
- Jamaica's Ristananna Tracey Runs 56.17 To Win Girls 400H Title At Penn
- #1 Boys HS Mile Seed Miles Schoedler Finishes 10th And Says "I Stunk"
- Recap Of Friday HS Action At Penn
- Allyson Felix The Complete Package
- Drake: Alabama Coaches Inducted Into Drake Hall Of Fame But Half Of Athletes Say Home Due To Tornadoes
- AP Recap Of Friday
- Minnesota 4 x 800 Runs 7:19 And Dominates *Minnesota Release
- Nebraska Pole Vaulter's Season Back On Track After Drake Win
- Utah Women Win First Ever Drake Title By Running 11:17.09 In DMR
- Penn: Georgetown Steals Show From Villanova And Tennessee In Penn Relays Women's DMR *Nova: "Everything That Could Possibly Go Wrong Did" Georgetown won in 10:51.49 in a big upset over Tennessee, which had won the past two years, and Villanova, which was the national DMR champ indoors. Villanova got a terrible opening leg by freshman Emily Lipari, whom her coach said may have been 'rattled' as she ran 7-seconds off her pb, and then dropped the baton before eventually finished 13th out of 14 teams and Tennessee was dropped in the last lap by Georgetown's Emily Infeld, who anchored with a 4:31.56. Tenn. was 2nd with 10:56.20 as Virginia was 3rd in 10:57.13. *Georgetown Recap
- Break Dancing Contest In Row 1 Of South Stands Is One Of Highlights Of Rain Delayed 1st Day
- Penn Relays Highlights: After 90-Minute Weather Delay, Athletes Still Deliver Impressive Performances
- Arkansas' Tina Sutej Sets Penn Relays PV Record At 14 Feet, 7 1/2 Inches
- USATF: US Looking To Break Series Tie With Jamaica In USA Vs. World Sprint Medley Relay Team USA claimed victories the first three years of the sprint medley; however, Team Jamaica has answered with three wins in a row.
- DyeStat Penn Relays Coverage/Highlights Haley Pierce beats Aisling Cuffe in 3k with 9:16.35; F-M girls DMR gets meet record and just misses US record with 11:34.46, Ajee Wilson anchors her 4 x 8 in 2:03.4 to bring her team from 17th to 1st! *MB: Ajee Wilson - HS Jr. goes 2:03.4 at Penn!
- MileSplit HS Penn Relays Coverage/Highlights
- NJ's Coverage Of Penn Relays High School Events
- IAAF Online Diaries: Three-Time World 200 Champ Allyson Felix Excited For USA Vs. The World Competition At Penn Relays
- USATF Penn Relays Preview: Bernard Lagat, Nick Symmonds & Leo Manzano Lead US DMR Team Against The World
- The Ultimate Penn Relays Preview - Event-By-Event By The Great Walt Murphy Message Board: *Penn Relays 4xMILE Rankings
- Philly Inquirer Looks At College Relays At Penn - BYU Gunning For DMR Title For 1st Time
- Can Villanova Women Get DMR Record In Addition To Win At Penn?
- USATF And Nike Release 2011 USA Vs. The World Athletes
- Oregon Skipping Penn Relays To Get Ready For Next Weekend's Twlight Clash With OTC Elite A OTC DMR might include four of following: Nick Symmonds, Tyler Mulder, Ashton Eaton, Andrew Wheating and Russell Brown. That to us = game over. Does it even matter who Oregon runs?
- AlanWebb Video Interview Before Drake Relays: "I feel like I've got better perspective on how to get myself back to where I was a few years ago."
- Minnesota Women's 4 x 1,600 Wins Drake Relays For 5th Time In 6 Years With 19:06.52
- Mat Clark Wins His Second Drake Relays Decathlon He needed 7,500 points for the auto qualifier and needed a 4:25.63 in the 1,500 and ran 4.25.58. So he qualified for nationals by .05 seconds in the last event.
- YouTube: Derek Miles Wins Drake Relays Mall Pole Vault Yes, this actually took place in a shopping mall.
- Alan Webb, Jenny Simpson, Jeremy Wariner, And Lolo Jones Headline Races At Drake Relays The men's mile will be very competitive as Alan Webb will face 800m Worlds silver medallist and defending champ Boaz Lalang. Webb won Tuesday's Grand Blue Mile on the road, but will he win on the track too?
- Drake Relays Is Accustomed To Adverse Weather Conditions And This Year May Be No Different Alan Webb on weather: "You don't necessarily put Drake on the calendar with the intention of having that be a race where 'Oh, we're for sure going to run fast.' Or 'We're for sure going to have good weather.' Hopefully, the weather works out. Sometimes, you get a special day. Sometimes, you don't."
- MileSplit: High School Drake Relays Preview
More On Carl Lewis
*USA Today: Judge Upholds Ruling To Keep Carl Lewis Off NJ Ballot
*Federal Judge Rules Against Carl Lewis' Claim That NJ Residency Requirement Is Unconstitutional
*Carl Lewis Confident That Court's Decision To Stop Him From Running For NJ State Senate Will Be Overturned; Still Continuing To Campaign He says, "It's a shame because the focus should be on the 8th District and the difficulties we face. Instead were doing politics as usual."
*Carl Lewis Sues Over Ruling He Can't Run For N.J. Senate
- Mumias Kenya Meet To Feature Competitive Fields Olympic 800 champ Pamela Jelimo in the 800 and World Junior 10k champ Dennis Masai vs. former World XC Champ Joseph Ebuya in the 5k.
*Olympic 800m Champ Pamela Jelimo To Run 800 In Kenya This Weekend
- National Tribute To Be Held For Grete Waitz In Oslo Stadium
- Writer Says With New IAAF Gender Rules, Now Suspicion About Caster Semenya Should Stop
- World 110m Hurdles Record Holder Dayron Robles Will Make Outdoor Debut At Baie-Mahult Grand Prix May 7th Jeremy Wariner will also compete in the 400.
- Over 20 Million Olympics Tickets Applied For As Major Events Become 10 Times Oversubscribed
Impressive Youths In The News
- Athletics New Zealaned Attempting To Get The IAAF To Allow 16-Year-Old Shot Putter Jacko Gill To Be Allowed To Throw At World Champs Gill recently became the youngest (and lightest) person to ever throw the shot over 20m, but IAAF rules prevent those under 18 from competing in World Champs throwing events.
- NZ's 16-Year-Old Jacko Gill Says He Is Not Only Sure He Will Qualify For The 2012 Olympics, But He Plans On Winning A Medal And Breaking The WR Too "... I'm not worried at all. It is great being able to break 20 metres already but I'm not in this to only just qualify for the Olympics. I'm planning to [win a] medal in London."
- Morgann LeLeux Sets National Prep Record In Pole Vault At 14'3"
- DyeStat: 2011 World Youth Champs - Leading U.S. Candidates April 26 Update
- MileSplit: 11 Prep Stars Added To Dream Fields At Adidas Grand Prix
2 Medals Left To Fight For
World XC Champ Imane Merga Wins Road 10km In Switzerland - Says He'll Run 10k At Worlds He missed Haile G's course record of 28:10 by 7 seconds in warm weather.
*Drug Cheat LaShawn Merritt Still Hoping To Be Able To Compete At Olympics By Fighting IOC's Regulation After Being Banned 21 Months
*CAS Asked To Rule Whether Athletes Who Have Been Banned For More Than 6 Months For Doping Can Compete At London 2012 Games
*Philip Hersh Blog: IOC, USOC Make Nice To Seek Ruling On LaShawn Merritt Doping Case
*Lithuania's European Marathon Champ Zivile Balciunaite Appealing 2-Year Doping Ban
News We Missed
Unknown 20-Year-Old Leads Ethiopian Sweep At Crescent City 10k 20-year-old Belete Assefa got the men's win in humid conditions as Wude Ayalew won the women's.
D3 Star & Upstate New Yorker Peter Kosgei's College Career Is Over After Savage Beating In Kenya In Kenya over break, the Hamilton star was nearly beaten to death and had to fly back to the US with two broken legs. He now is attending class via wheelchair after a visit from the Hamilton president to the hospital.
Politically-Themed Track News
- America's Fastest Man Tyson Gay Went To White House To Help With Easter Egg Hunt - Gets Snubbed By President Gay actually enjoyed himself at the event but didn't get to meet the President. He needs friends in high places, like marathon greats Paul Tergat and Moses Tanui, who got private time with President Bush thanks To LetsRun.com back in 2001.
- Not So Fast: New Jersey's Republican Secretary Of State Says Carl Lewis (Dem.) Can't Run For Office In NJ *WSJ Article On King Carl
More Weekend Action We Didn't Mention
- Justin Gatlin 20.36 200m The drug cheat ran faster in the 200 than he did in 2010.
- Dutchman Wins Utrecht Marathon And Gets $14,000, Kenyan Is 2nd And Gets $140 People were upset that this race excluded Kenyans from the prize money (Wejo even heard a guy at a McDonald's who knew nothing about running telling his friends about the "Nigerians" being excluded from the Dutch Marathon). Guess they haven't heard about all of the US Road Championships.
- 16-Year-Old Kiwi Jacko Gill Becomes Youngest To Throw Shot Over 20 Meters
- Michael Coe Is On The Comeback Trail And He Ran 4:00.07 At Final Cal Home Meet
- NY Times Writer Claims New IAAF Gender Rules Are Sexist And even worse, they may be a "violation of Title IX!"
- Ireland's Mark Kenneally Makes Marathon Debut With Second-Fastest Time By An Irishman In Past 3 Years With 2:17:22 Nice to see Irish distance guys stepping it up in response to Ireland's new strict "A" standard policy. Kenneally (who was still on 2:12-14 pace at 22 miles) said, "Look, 2:15 is still very achievable. I honestly wouldn't want to go to London on the 'B' standard because 2:18 simply wouldn't be good enough to be competitive in the Olympics."
- George Ntshiliza Is First South African In 8 Years To Win 56km Two Oceans Ultra-Marathon
Boston Marathon *Live Boston Thread *Women's Reaction *Men's Reaction
*Video Highlights *Weather *Photos
One For The Ages In Boston: Desiree And The Fastest Marathon Ever Run "Unbelievable" is probably the best way to describe the 2011 Boston Marathon.
Davila, off the back of the lead pack multiple times, was gutsy as hell,
battling for the win with Caroline Kilel down the final straight. There were 4 lead changes on the final straight before Kilel came out on top. In the men's race, American Ryan Hall ran 2:04:57 and lost by nearly 2 minutes. Yes, ladies and gentleman, Geoffrey
Mutai and Moses Mosop ran faster than anyone else ever before the in the marathon, 2:03:02 and 2:03:06 respectively, thanks in part to 20 mph tailwinds. Mutai cemented his status as the strongest runner on the planet with the win. We give you some post-race comments below but purposely are holding off discussing the wind.
LRC: Wejo Speaks: Desiree Davila Inspires Us All At The 2011 Boston Marathon She had the entire press room and Alberto Salazar yelling for her.
LRC: Men's Post-Race Reaction The top 4 were all pleased with their blazing fast times. Ryan Hall summed up the magical day: "I am running 2:04 pace and I can't even see the leaders."
LRC: 2011 Boston Marathon Post-Race Reaction From Desiree, Caroline And Kara
*Video Highlights *Men's Post-Race Reaction/Interviews *Women's Post-Race Comments/Interviews
Webb Coaching Search
Not So Fast: LRC Julia Webb: Alan Webb HAS NOT FINALIZED PLANS To Head Back To Virginia To Be Coached By Jason Vigilante
Steve Nearman Stands Behind His Story
Steve Nearman, the former Washington Times reporter who first broke the story about Webb's pro contract in 2002, reported Wednesday night that sources (plural) close to Webb confirmed that Alan was going to be coached by UVA's Jason Vigilante and we said, "Nearman can be trusted." Well, Nearman is trusted in the industry, but Alan's wife Julia Webb has written and said, "Just wanted to give you a heads up that the story is definitely not true ... we are still looking at the options. No decisions made although Vig (is) still a good option." We contacted Nearman and relayed him Julia's comments and he said, "I stand by my story and I stand by my sources."
*RRW: Alan Webb's Agent Ray Flynn Calls Webb Story "Totally Bogus" In reality, Flynn said the story is "at this stage totally bogus."
*LRC MB: *Julia Webb (Alan's wife) Has Written and Said Webb to UVA Story is Not Accurate *Thread On Webb-Vig
- LRC: Desiree Davila Looking For Respect In Boston Davila finished one spot behind Kara Goucher at the last World Championships in the marathon, and she's hoping to finally
out of Kara's shadow at Monday's Boston Marathon. LetsRun.com has spent the last six years getting a mole into the Hansons-Brooks team, and now thanks to him we have this inside look at Desiree's preparations for Boston, which has included a 123-mile week. Article and video interview plus some video of the Hansons-Brooks training runs.
South African Champs *Results (Scroll Down)
- Caster Semenya Does 800m/1,500m Double At S. African Champs (2:02 And 4:12) Her first minor test at 1,500m was successful.
- S. African Outdoor Champs: Olympic Silver Medallist Khotso Mokoena Wins Long Jump, Blade Runner Doesn't Make Final
- S. African Hammer Throw Champ Chris Harmse Wins His 16th-Straight National Title The Commonwealths champ can never compete in the Olympics because the hammer is always on Sunday, and for religious reasons, he can't compete on Sunday (Eric Liddell would approve).
2011 World XC *Results *New Women's Race Photos *New Men's Race Photos
LRC: Shalane Flanagan Gets Bronze The Olympic bronze medallist and ING NYC Marathon runner-up ran a stellar race to snatch the bronze versus a star-studded field. Flanagan appeared to be dropped with 2km to go, but dug deep to stay in contention and battle back for the bronze. World 5,000m champ Vivian Cheruiyot pulled away from World 10,000m
Linet Masai for gold. The American women did very well to get a repeat bronze medal.
Men: Imane Merga Blasts Away From Four Kenyans In Sprint To Win The Kenyan men dominated the team competition and had 4 of the top 5 guys in the pack for the sprint the final 400m. However, the lone Ethiopian - Imane Merga, the Diamond League 5,000m champion - got the win the Kenyan nation wants most every year. Ben True was the first American in 36th, as he and fellow Ivy Leaguer Max King were America's two best.
*Merga: "Before I used to think of myself as a track runner but this winter I have got to like cross-country races more."
*Craig Mottram Finishes As Top Non-Afrrican Born Male In 21st As Two Guys Ahead Of Him Are DQed For Fighting In Race To Line Eritrea's Samuel Tsegay and Ethiopia's Abera Kuma were given the DQ.
Junior Boys: Geoffrey Kipsang Leads Kenya To 13th Straight Title Kipsang was only 4th at the Kenyan Trials but dominated. High schooler Craig Lutz was the first American in 29th.
Junior Girls: Faith Kipyegon Of Kenya Wins, But Ethiopia Edges Them For Team Title High schooler Aisling Cuffe was the first American in 17th.
Other Nationals *NCAA D3 Champs *NCAA D2 Champs *HS Nationals Results *Photos
HS: Lukas V. Runs Away From The Top Milers To Complete Historic High School Nationals Triple His double on Sunday was super-impressive, but we had completely forgotten about German
8:34 double at the California state meet.
*IAAF Article On Verzbicas
We Wrote This Article Too Soon:
Gerry Lindgren's Legendary 47-Year-Old High School National Record Survives Scare From Lukas Verzbicas And Edward Cheserek Verzbicas hammered home over the final lap to pull away from Cheserek, but in the end, Lindgren's 8:40.0 lived to see another day, as Verzbicas ran 8:40.70 and Cheserek shattered the high school indoor and overall sophomore class records with his 8:42.66. More: Gerry Lindgren 8:40 indoors *LRC MB Lukas V. 8:40.7!! *LRC MB So close *Running Times Q&A With Lindgren About His 8:40.0 Note: This article incorrectly implies the record was set in a 16-lap race.
*Lucas Verzbicas (14:06.78) & (Waverly Neer) 16:35.15 Set National HS 5,000 Records
Tokyo Marathon: A Legend Is Born *Photos
Hailu Mekonnen Wins, Japanese Amateur Yuki Kawauchi Runs Amazing 2:08:37 For 3rd And Faints At Finish Yuki Kawauchi's story is amazing.
A 13:59 5ker and 29:02 10ker, he has a full-time job and has stayed away from the Japanese collegiate and professional system, yet he stunned all of Japan with a 2:08:37 run. Dreams do become reality.
*On The Boards: 13:59 5k, 29:02 10k Japanese AMATEUR Runs 2:08:37 at Tokyo Marathon and Passes Out
Records For Rupp And Farah *Video Of Rupp's And Farah's Race
Galen Rupp & Mo Farah Set National 5k Records!
(13:11.44 and 13:10.60) The two Alberto Salazar-coached athletes put on a brave battle, with Farah coming out on top on the last lap, as Rupp regained his American record from Bernard Lagat by .06. Rupp and Farah will be training together through 2012 and their partnership is off to a strong start. Rupp is scheduled to go for the American 10k record next week in New Zealand. The meet also saw a cool 400m hurdles race (video
here or on the right), an 8:30 3k and American Morgan Uceny going sub-2:00 in the 800.
*Mo Farah Breaks British 5,000m Record With His New Coach Alberto Salazar One Of The 8,000 In Attendance Telegraph.co.uk
*Farah Credits Salazar's Coaching
*Rupp/Farah 5k Video
The 10 Best High School XC Runners Ever
LRC Week That Was: The 10 Best High School XC Runners Of All Time, Verzbicas, Tribute To Gary Reed, The NY Times & The NE Patriots And More We've got the entire running world covered from San Diego to Japan, from the high school ranks to the pros, and even talk about the NE Patriots and the NY Times.
Week In Review
LRC Week That Was: Praise For Kara And Desiree, Dirt Tracks In America, German Fernandez And Mental Barriers As you recover from Boston and London and get ready for Penn, Drake, and Stanford, we have some praise for Kara Goucher and Desiree Davila's sportsmanship, look at some young American milers struggling, and much more.
Better Late Than Never - London 2011 Photos
XC Running Goes Mainstream
Andrew Bumbalough Thriving In 1st Year As Pro One Year After Getting Mono And Nearly Being Left Out Of Nike's Plans This is an unbelievably good piece of writing for a college newspaper. It also reveals he's gotten his mileage up to 90 per week from 65 to 70 in college.
Boston (Updated Photo Gallery Below) *Recap Analysis: *JK On The Wind *Wejo On Desiree *Rojo *London And Boston *Video Highlights
Game Changer If You Got A Lot Of Coin
Washington Post Columnist Calls Alter-G Treadmill A Game Changer Problem for athletes is that they cost $75,000. The rehab model for some reason is "only" $30,000.
2:03:02 In Boston: Men's Highlights From Boston (More Here)
Desiree Davila Pure Guts
Emmanual Mutai Becomes A Star, Legend Martin Lel Outkicks Makau (You Can Watch The Full Race Here)
Mary Keitany Crushes London (Highlights And Post Race Comments)
Mt. SAC Relays/NCAA *Results *Schedule *Live Video Stream *Heat Sheets *Sea Ray Results *Other NCAA Results
Results The 2011 US outdoor season unofficially heated up for the first time on Friday night in Southern California, as US star Shalane Flanagan edged collegiate star Sheila Reid in the 1,500m (4:11), Russell Brown blitzed a 53.84 last 400 to catch Chris Solinsky in the 1,500m as both pros ran 3:35 to NCAA champ Miles Batty's 3:36 (Matt Tegenkamp 3:40, video on right),
American record holder Molly
Huddle held back a challenge from Jenny Simpson in the 5,000m (15:10) and Aaron Braun held off a fast-closing Jorge Torres in the men's 5k.
More: *53.84 Last Lap Gives Russell Brown Victory Over Chris Solinsky At Mt. SAC *BYU Release On Miles Batty's 3:36.25 Not mentioned in the release is the fact that Batty came within .41 of the American collegiate record and within 1 second of the collegiate record. *LRC MB: DID SOLINSKY JUST RUN 3:35? *Jenny B got OWNED
*Jeff Demps 9.96 With 2.4mps Wind
2nd-Year UCLA Coach Loves Dual Meets, Deserves Praise For Keeping UCLA/Oregon Dual Meet Alive
Desiree Davila Ready For Boston (More In-Depth Here)
Question Of The Day?
Train Smarter (More In The Training Forum)
- Scheduling Rest Days - How Often?
- stress fracture twice in same bone in 6 months...HELP
- Coaching that once-in-a-career athlete
- Is there any point doing tempo runs if your event is 3200m or shorter? Let us just chime in with an emphatic yes.
- Anyone get sick or catch a cold right after a race???
Women's World XC In Photos
Men's World XC In Photos
The Greatest Comeback Ever?
Train Smarter (More In The Training Forum)
- Wow, Lydiard training seems ridiculously hard
- best marathon improvement after age 40?
- How does "strength" differ from "speed" and "endurance" as a runner?
- "A runner needs a LT run every 2 to 5 days in order to not lose any aerobic ability."
Training Talk Is Back
Training Talk With New Marathon Star Stephanie Rothstein And Ben Bruce Stephanie lowered her marathon PR by over 10 minutes, skipping the 2:30s entirely, running 2:29:35 in Houston. And she's still got her sights on lowering it another 10 minutes. Textual recap coming later, but you can listen above or download the podcast here (1:30).
Save Some Cash
Save Some Cash
- Long run, 25% of your weekly mileage?
- 5x1 mile repeats with 1:1 work/rest ratio, 10k time?
- Marathon Training Thread - Week Ending 10/17
- Could I break 33 mins. in the 10k based on this workout
- Does anybody here train using Daniels Running Formula
Universal Sports Back To Top