The only person who can stop Rupp from winning the 10,000 is his wife, Keara, who is pregnant with twins. When Keara delivers could determine whether Rupp runs USAs or the Paris DL meet on July 5 instead.
800 Semifinals 2014 USA Nationals: Chanelle Price Scratches, Ajee Wilson Impresses, And So Does Laura Roesler
The future looks very bright for Laura Roesler, who won her heat ahead of Brenda Martinez. If you believe that, then remember Ajee Wilson is two years and five months younger.
Jager has run the steeple three times at USAs and has come away victorious each time. He had to work hard to do it though, as Huling was right with Jager for most of the last lap.
Hasay and Conley are both in the shape of their lives, but Flanagan has been running great in 2014 as well, chopping 3:36 off her marathon pb with a 2:22:02 at Boston in April.
A great final with Duane Solomon, Erick Sowinski, Elijah Greer, RobbyAndrews, Cas Loxsom and others is all set, but we're still wondering about a questionable DQ of Nick Hartle.
Huddle and Rowbury waged an epic battle to the line with Huddle prevailing in 15:01.56 to Rowbury's 15:01.71. NCAA champion Marielle Hall was 3rd as Stanford's Aisling Cuffe was 4th.
Allen ran a slightly wind-aided 13.16 to beat defending champ Ryan Wilson by .005; David Oliver was 3rd. Jeneba Tarmoh (you remember her from the 2012 dead heat fiasco) won the 200 (22.06) as Curtis Mitchell ran 20.13 to beat Wallace Spearmon (20.19). Inika Mcpherson gets HJ title in 2.00m PR (previous best 1.96m) beating Chaunte Lowe and Brigetta Barrett. Kori Karter takes 400H as Johnny Dutch wins for the men (48.93). Sam Kendricks the PV (5.75), Jeffery Henderson the LJ, Gia Lewis-Smallwood the discus and Sean Furey the javelin.
Huddle, the American Record holder, is running great in 2014, but the next few spots are up for grabs. Shannon Rowbury is the best bet for second, but there are plenty of women who will challenge her, such as Katie Mackey, Laura Thweatt, Chelsea Reilly and the collegiate big three of Marielle Hall, Aisling Cuffe and Abbey D'Agostino. Has US women's 5000 running ever been this deep?
3 Thoughts On The 800 Heats: A Very Pregnant Alysia Montaño, The Group of Death and The Favorites Move On (Mostly)
The track action at 2014 USAs is underway and the 800 heats are in the books. Get our instant analysis of the heats which included a very pregnant competitor. MB: WTF is Montano doing on the start line?!
Olympic Silver Medalist Will Claye jumps to No. 7 U.S. all-time triple jump on Day 3 of USATF Outdoor Championships
Claye handily beat 2012 Olympic champion Christian Taylor. In other events Mike Rodgers won the 100 with 10.09 into a headwind after running a wind-aided 9.80 in the semis. Tianna Bartoletta won the womens' 100 in 11.15 (-2.1 wind) after Tori Bowi ran a wind legal 10.91 in the semis. Trey Hardee won the decathlon, Jenn Suhr the PV and Hayden Reed the discus.
Post-race reaction from Chanelle Price, Ajee Wilson, Brenda Martinez, Phoebe Wright, Lea Wallace, Laura Roesler, Charles Jock, Cas Loxsom, Robby Andrews, Sam Ellison, and Duane Solomon.
David Torrence's first USAs under new coach Jama Aden turned into a nightmare, but it was a great night for a number of under-dogs like Ford Palmer who find themselves in the USA final.
Coburn ran a very impressive 9:19 in 84-degree heat and now owns three of the top six times in the world this year. Ashley Higginson ran a big PR of 9:27 for second.
On The Boards
- Shalane Flanagan on skipping US Nationals
- Why did RUPP run the 10,000 and not the 5,000 at USATF? Avoiding COMPETITION?
- The Amazing Devon Allen (True Freshman USA 110H Champ)
- Yes I understand she's just an 18yr old girl, but Mary Cain's interviews are getting somewhat silly
- OK, How much will Laura Roesler sign for( Yearly) with Nike.
- Ok, if there was a DQ in the men's 800, there has to be one in the women's 1500
- Can Shelby Houlihan Win US 800 Final
- Yes, that's right, Cain just cruised to beat Efraimson
- Manzano is the man!
- Shanon Rowbury should have been DQ'd from the 5000.
- Steeplechase Semifinals Go According To Form: Andy Bayer Still Learning, Ben Bruce Wins 3.5 Weeks After A Marathon
- Cain Vs. Efraimson Fizzles - 3 Thoughts On The Women's 1,500 Semifinals
- 800 Semifinals 2014 USA Nationals: Chanelle Price Scratches, Ajee Wilson Impresses, And So Does Laura Roesler
- Men's 800 Semis: The Big Boys - Solomon, Greer, Sowinski - Advance To Set Up A Great Final
- What A Race: Molly Huddle Triumphs Over A Brave Effort From Shannon Rowbury In 2014 USATF 5,000
- Emma Coburn Sets USATF Steeplechase Meet Record, Leo the Lion Captures His 2nd 1500 Title
- Men's 1,500: Leo Manzano Comes Through When It Counts Again, Wins Second Outdoor 1,500 Title
- Ajee Wilson the Real Deal, Laura Roesler Earns Some $$$, and Brenda Martinez “Struggles”: Thee Quick Thoughts on Women’s 800m at 2014 USATF Nationals
- 3 Thoughts On The 800 Heats: A Very Pregnant Alysia Montaño, The Group of Death and The Favorites Move On (Mostly)
- Three Thoughts on The Fall and Duane Solomon's Dominant 800 Victory at 2014 USAs
- Men's 5,000: Galen Rupp Looks to End Bernard Lagat's Reign Once and For All
- Men's 10,000: Galen Rupp Goes for Sixth Straight Title
- Women's 10,000: Shalane Flanagan Back on the Track; Can Jordan Hasay or Kim Conley Challenge Her?
- Women's 5,000: Molly Huddle, Then Who? There are Lots of Worthy Challengers
- Men's 800: Duane Solomon Looks to Defend, Elijah Greer Aims to Surprise and No Nick Symmonds
- Women's 800: The Best Women In The World Battle: Brenda Martinez vs. Ajee Wilson vs. Chanelle Price vs. Laura Roesler
- Men's 1,500: With No Centrowitz, a Wide-Open Battle Between Manzano, Lomong, Torrence, McNamara & More
- 3,000 Steeplechase: Expect Easy Wins for Evan Jager and Emma Coburn
- Women's 1,500: Jenny Simpson Leads the Way; High Schoolers Mary Cain & Alexa Efraimson Will Clash
- 2014 US Championships Men’s Throws Guide