Allen ran a slightly wind-aided 13.16 to beat defending champ Ryan Wilson by .005; David Oliver was 3rd. Jeneba Tarmoh (you remember her from the 2012 dead heat fiasco) won the 200 (22.06) as Curtis Mitchell ran 20.13 to beat Wallace Spearmon (20.19). Inika Mcpherson gets HJ title in 2.00m PR (previous best 1.96m) beating Chaunte Lowe and Brigetta Barrett. Kori Karter takes 400H as Johnny Dutch wins for the men (48.93). Sam Kendricks the PV (5.75), Jeffery Henderson the LJ, Gia Lewis-Smallwood the discus and Sean Furey the javelin.
Jager has run the steeple three times at USAs and has come away victorious each time. He had to work hard to do it though, as Huling was right with Jager for most of the last lap.
There was a big fall, but no one was going to stop Duane Solomon from repeating as champion.
Ajee Wilson the Real Deal, Laura Roesler Earns Some $$$, and Brenda Martinez “Struggles”: Thee Quick Thoughts on Women’s 800m at 2014 USATF Nationals
Ajee Wilson is the real deal and Laura Roesler may be as well.
Francena McCorory Becomes Fifth-Fastest American At 400, Emma Coburn And Dawn Harper-Nelson Capture Third U.S. Titles
McCorory ran 49.48 to beat Sanya Richards-Ross (49.66). Gil Roberts won the men's race in 44.53. In the 100H, Dawn Harper-Nelson won in 12.55 over Queen Harrison and Lolo Jones. Erik Kynard won the HJ in 2.35 and made 3 attempts at 2.41. Brittney Reese took the LJ, Amanda Bingson the hammer.
Manzano was just fourth in a low-key mile in Concord, Mass., earlier this month, but proved once again that he's a different animal in championship races and used a strong last 100 to pull away from second-place Pat Casey for the win. Nine USA meets for Leo, nine top 3 finishes.
Coburn ran a very impressive 9:19 in 84-degree heat and now owns three of the top six times in the world this year. Ashley Higginson ran a big PR of 9:27 for second.
Race Results Weekly Recap.
Olympic Silver Medalist Will Claye jumps to No. 7 U.S. all-time triple jump on Day 3 of USATF Outdoor Championships
Claye handily beat 2012 Olympic champion Christian Taylor. In other events Mike Rodgers won the 100 with 10.09 into a headwind after running a wind-aided 9.80 in the semis. Tianna Bartoletta won the womens' 100 in 11.15 (-2.1 wind) after Tori Bowi ran a wind legal 10.91 in the semis. Trey Hardee won the decathlon, Jenn Suhr the PV and Hayden Reed the discus.
Huddle and Rowbury waged an epic battle to the line with Huddle prevailing in 15:01.56 to Rowbury's 15:01.71. NCAA champion Marielle Hall was 3rd as Stanford's Aisling Cuffe was 4th.
A great final with Duane Solomon, Erick Sowinski, Elijah Greer, RobbyAndrews, Cas Loxsom and others is all set, but we're still wondering about a questionable DQ of Nick Hartle.
800 Semifinals 2014 USA Nationals: Chanelle Price Scratches, Ajee Wilson Impresses, And So Does Laura Roesler
The future looks very bright for Laura Roesler, who won her heat ahead of Brenda Martinez. If you believe that, then remember Ajee Wilson is two years and five months younger.
On The Boards
- Shalane Flanagan on skipping US Nationals
- Why did RUPP run the 10,000 and not the 5,000 at USATF? Avoiding COMPETITION?
- The Amazing Devon Allen (True Freshman USA 110H Champ)
- Yes I understand she's just an 18yr old girl, but Mary Cain's interviews are getting somewhat silly
- OK, How much will Laura Roesler sign for( Yearly) with Nike.
- Ok, if there was a DQ in the men's 800, there has to be one in the women's 1500
- Can Shelby Houlihan Win US 800 Final
- Yes, that's right, Cain just cruised to beat Efraimson
- Manzano is the man!
- Shanon Rowbury should have been DQ'd from the 5000.
- Evan Jager Holds off Training Partner Dan Huling to Win Third Straight Steeple Title
- Jenny Simpson Over Mary Cain, But The Talk is About Morgan Uceny Falling (Again)
- Three Thoughts on The Fall and Duane Solomon's Dominant 800 Victory at 2014 USAs
- Ajee Wilson the Real Deal, Laura Roesler Earns Some $$$, and Brenda Martinez “Struggles”: Thee Quick Thoughts on Women’s 800m at 2014 USATF Nationals
- Men's 1,500: Leo Manzano Comes Through When It Counts Again, Wins Second Outdoor 1,500 Title
- Emma Coburn Sets USATF Steeplechase Meet Record, Leo the Lion Captures His 2nd 1500 Title
- Goe: Andrew Bumbalough does everything but win the men's 5,000 final
- Galen Rupp: "Credit Chris Derrick for taking the lead for most of those laps, but my whole plan all along was just to sit back and then go hard with a lap to go,"
- Recovered from fractured ankle, Mike Rodgers is pumped to be US 100m champ
- What A Race: Molly Huddle Triumphs Over A Brave Effort From Shannon Rowbury In 2014 USATF 5,000
- Men's 5,000: Galen Rupp Looks to End Bernard Lagat's Reign Once and For All
- Men's 10,000: Galen Rupp Goes for Sixth Straight Title
- Women's 5,000: Molly Huddle, Then Who? There are Lots of Worthy Challengers
- Women's 10,000: Shalane Flanagan Back on the Track; Can Jordan Hasay or Kim Conley Challenge Her?
- 2014 US Championships Men’s Throws Guide
- 3,000 Steeplechase: Expect Easy Wins for Evan Jager and Emma Coburn
- Men's 800: Duane Solomon Looks to Defend, Elijah Greer Aims to Surprise and No Nick Symmonds
- Men's 1,500: With No Centrowitz, a Wide-Open Battle Between Manzano, Lomong, Torrence, McNamara & More
- Women's 1,500: Jenny Simpson Leads the Way; High Schoolers Mary Cain & Alexa Efraimson Will Clash
- Women's 800: The Best Women In The World Battle: Brenda Martinez vs. Ajee Wilson vs. Chanelle Price vs. Laura Roesler