David Torrence's first USAs under new coach Jama Aden turned into a nightmare, but it was a great night for a number of under-dogs like Ford Palmer who find themselves in the USA final.
Coburn ran a very impressive 9:19 in 84-degree heat and now owns three of the top six times in the world this year. Ashley Higginson ran a big PR of 9:27 for second.
Race Results Weekly Recap.
Hasay passed Conley with 230 meters to go but Conley fought back bravely and eventually pulled away for good with 50 to go, sending the crowd into a frenzy.
Manzano was just fourth in a low-key mile in Concord, Mass., earlier this month, but proved once again that he's a different animal in championship races and used a strong last 100 to pull away from second-place Pat Casey for the win. Nine USA meets for Leo, nine top 3 finishes.
Without Symmonds, Solomon is the favorite in Sacramento, but is he vulnerable to upstarts Elijah Greer and Erik Sowinski? We think so.
Galen Rupp Kicks Away From Chris Derrick In The Last Lap To Win His Sixth Consecutive US 10,000m Title
As expected, Rupp was dominant over the final 400 and easily won over Derrick in 28:12. Behind them the best of the rest was 2:10:57 marathoner Ryan Vail who had a big kick to get 3rd.
Women's 800: The Best Women In The World Battle: Brenda Martinez vs. Ajee Wilson vs. Chanelle Price vs. Laura Roesler
This should be a great race between Martinez (WC bronze medalist), Wilson (2012 World Junior champ), Roesler (NCA champ) and Price (World Indoor champ). Three of those 4teamed up with Geena Lara to win World Relays gold last month but now it's every woman for herself at USAs.
None of the elites we've heard from were very surprised to hear about Trafeh's EPO bust as many have suspected him for years and even referred to him as "MoPO". Here we share Derrick's and Vail's thoughts after USAs as well as tweets from Ben True, Nick Arciniaga, Steve Magness, Kevin Hanson, Fernando Cabada, Scotty Baughs and more.
Men's 1,500: With No Centrowitz, a Wide-Open Battle Between Manzano, Lomong, Torrence, McNamara & More
Olympic silver medalist Leo Manzano is always on his game at USAs. Will he win again or will a new champion like David Torrence or Jordan McNamara? Plus, where are Andrew Wheating, Mac Fleet and Matthew Centrowitz?
The men's and women's 5000m finals are on top, plus the 100m finals, the semis of the 800, and Alexa Efraimson vs Mary Cain round 1.
Francena McCorory Becomes Fifth-Fastest American At 400, Emma Coburn And Dawn Harper-Nelson Capture Third U.S. Titles
McCorory ran 49.48 to beat Sanya Richards-Ross (49.66). Gil Roberts won the men's race in 44.53. In the 100H, Dawn Harper-Nelson won in 12.55 over Queen Harrison and Lolo Jones. Erik Kynard won the HJ in 2.35 and made 3 attempts at 2.41. Brittney Reese took the LJ, Amanda Bingson the hammer.
We know who is winning both races. The question is who else gets on the podium.
Bridget Franek and Emma Coburn won their respective heats, both in 9:39. After the race we spoke with Coburn as well as Stephanie Garcia who recently PRd by 13-seconds.
Ajee Wilson the Real Deal, Laura Roesler Earns Some $$$, and Brenda Martinez “Struggles”: Thee Quick Thoughts on Women’s 800m at 2014 USATF Nationals
Ajee Wilson is the real deal and Laura Roesler may be as well.
Amazingly, Simpson has yet to win a U.S. title at 1,500. That should change, as she has run over six seconds faster than anyone else in the field in 2014. This could be the first part of a Cain-Efraimson trilogy, should they race at U.S. and World Juniors.
Steeplechase Semifinals Go According To Form: Andy Bayer Still Learning, Ben Bruce Wins 3.5 Weeks After A Marathon
Recap, results, post-race interviews.
On The Boards
- Shalane Flanagan on skipping US Nationals
- Why did RUPP run the 10,000 and not the 5,000 at USATF? Avoiding COMPETITION?
- The Amazing Devon Allen (True Freshman USA 110H Champ)
- Yes I understand she's just an 18yr old girl, but Mary Cain's interviews are getting somewhat silly
- OK, How much will Laura Roesler sign for( Yearly) with Nike.
- Ok, if there was a DQ in the men's 800, there has to be one in the women's 1500
- Can Shelby Houlihan Win US 800 Final
- Yes, that's right, Cain just cruised to beat Efraimson
- Manzano is the man!
- Shanon Rowbury should have been DQ'd from the 5000.
- Emma Coburn Sets USATF Steeplechase Meet Record, Leo the Lion Captures His 2nd 1500 Title
- Men's 1,500: Leo Manzano Comes Through When It Counts Again, Wins Second Outdoor 1,500 Title
- Ajee Wilson the Real Deal, Laura Roesler Earns Some $$$, and Brenda Martinez “Struggles”: Thee Quick Thoughts on Women’s 800m at 2014 USATF Nationals
- 3 Thoughts On The 800 Heats: A Very Pregnant Alysia Montaño, The Group of Death and The Favorites Move On (Mostly)
- Three Thoughts on The Fall and Duane Solomon's Dominant 800 Victory at 2014 USAs
- 800 Post-Race Reactions: The Athletes Talk About Their Races
- Jenny Simpson Over Mary Cain, But The Talk is About Morgan Uceny Falling (Again)
- Men's 1500 Semis: David Torrence Goes Home Early - Leo, Lopez, Leer and Casey all advance
- Evan Jager Holds off Training Partner Dan Huling to Win Third Straight Steeple Title
- W 10K: Kim Conley Comes Back on Jordan Hasay, Wins First U.S. Title in Front of Hometown Fans
- Men's 800: Duane Solomon Looks to Defend, Elijah Greer Aims to Surprise and No Nick Symmonds
- Women's 800: The Best Women In The World Battle: Brenda Martinez vs. Ajee Wilson vs. Chanelle Price vs. Laura Roesler
- Men's 1,500: With No Centrowitz, a Wide-Open Battle Between Manzano, Lomong, Torrence, McNamara & More
- 3,000 Steeplechase: Expect Easy Wins for Evan Jager and Emma Coburn
- Women's 1,500: Jenny Simpson Leads the Way; High Schoolers Mary Cain & Alexa Efraimson Will Clash
- Men's 5,000: Galen Rupp Looks to End Bernard Lagat's Reign Once and For All
- Men's 10,000: Galen Rupp Goes for Sixth Straight Title
- Women's 10,000: Shalane Flanagan Back on the Track; Can Jordan Hasay or Kim Conley Challenge Her?
- Women's 5,000: Molly Huddle, Then Who? There are Lots of Worthy Challengers
- 2014 US Championships Men’s Throws Guide