Friday Night USATF Champs Viewing Guide
June 27, 2014
Here’s a brief primer on what to look for tonight (Friday) at the USA Track and Field Championships.
The highlights for LRC fans are the men’s and women’s 5000m finals.
Like our coverage from Albuquerque?
Join the LetsRun.com Supporters Club today to support independent journalism.
1) Men’s 5000m Bernard Lagat vs Father Time –9:25 pacific/12:25 eastern LIVE on USATF.tv
Can 39 year old Bernard Lagat get another USA title at the age of 39? Lagat has shown he’s human at age 39 with a very poor run at the Pre Classic 5000m. Without Galen Rupp, Andrew Bumbalough, Ryan Hall, Hassan Mead, and Lopez Lomong are the big challengers. Our preview is here.
2) Women’s 5000: Molly Huddle the Favorite, Abbey D Out -9:05 pacific/12:05 eastern LIVE on USATF.tv
Molly Huddle is on fire in 2014 with a 14:55 5k in Rome and then a win at the NY Mini 10k over Linet Masai and Bizunesh Deba. She’s the favorite no matter what. 7 time NCAA champ Abbey D’Agostino is out and taking a break from racing. How fast can new NCAA star Marielle Hall go? Can Laura Thweatt, Shannon Rowbury, Katie Mackey or even Jordan Hasay challenge? Preview/discussion is here.
3) Mary Cain vs Alexa Efraimson Round 1 in the women’s 1500m -7:03 pacific/10:30 eastern LIVE on NBCSN (Stream for NBCSN subscribers)
The high school stars race each other for the first time as pros as they both are in the same heat of the women’s 1500m with former World Champion Jenny Simpson in round 1. Can Efraimson really challenge Cain? Preview is here.
4) Men’s and Women’s 100m Finals – -8:43 pacific/11:43 eastern LIVE on NBCSN (Stream for NBCSN subscribers)
Justin Gatlin is skipping the meet, but the 100m finals are always two of the top attractions at any USA meet.
5) Christian Taylor vs Will Claye in Triple Jump Final –6:10 pacific/9:10 eastern LIVE on USATF.tv
These are two of the bests of the world.
6) Men’s and Women’s 800m Semifinals 8:09 pacific/11:09 eastern LIVE on NBCSN (Stream for NBCSN subscribers)
The 800 semis are always some of the most interesting because making the final is a crapshoot.
Want even more? Jesse Squire gives you his best Friday matchups,. including talk about the women’s PV, here: Friday’s Best Matchups.
Viewing Info: USA Track and Field Championships (Meet schedule here)
2:45pm-10pm ET/11:45am-7pm PT – All Events – LIVE on USATF.tv
10pm-Midnight ET/7pm-9 PT – LIVE on NBCSN (Stream for NBCSN subscribers) (Field Events will be LIVE on USATF.tv)
Midnight-12:40am ET/9pm-9:40pm PT – LIVE on USATF.tv
12:40am ET/9:40pm PT – COOL DOWN – on USATF.tv
All times pacific (add 3 hours for east coast)
|5:25pm||100m Hurdles||women||1st round|
|6:00pm||Javelin Throw “b”||men||decathlon|
|6:22pm||3000m St||men||1st round|