Wanjiru Family Drama Back In The News
Wanjiru's Funeral Still On Hold A Week After His Death Earlier in the day, the reports were that running legends Paul Tergat, John Ngugi and Moses Tanui, and tribal elders had gotten involved and that Sammy's mom had withdrawn her judicial request blocking the funeral. Now that appears not to be the case. More Wanjiru Drama: Brother Threatened To Commit Suicide If Mother Didn't Allow Burial, Paul Tergat, Moses Tanui And John Ngugi Tried To Get Involved
- Oregon Ducks Ready To Host NCAA Regionals: Luke Puskedra And Jordan Hasay Are The Only Ones Doubling
- Former Wisconsin Star Kathy Butler Back Training Again After The Birth Of Her Daughter, Trying To Make UK Team In Marathon For 2012
- Uh-Oh: Foot Injury Causes Rudisha To Pull Out Of Thursday's Rome Diamond League Meet He's now 0-2 for the Diamond League season. We hope this isn't a big problem, but how could it not be?
- Abdi Abdirahman To Run Prefontaine 10,000m
- Brazilian Simone Alves da Silva Runs S. African Women's 5,000m Record (15:18)
Jones, Then A-Rod, Then Bonds, Then Clemens, And Now Lance? *Hamilton Video
- Tyler Hamilton's Report On Lance Armstrong's Doping Airs On 60 Minutes The man who voluntarily gave up his Olympic gold medal this week painfully spills the beans on a so-called American hero. We call him a fraud. *Hamilton Video
- Hamilton Says Armstrong Told Him Cycling Authorities Covered Up A Positive Test From 2001
- Scott Pelley Talks About How Difficult It Was To Interview Tyler Hamilton He thinks Hamilton's reluctance and pain make him more believable. We 100% agree.
- Betsy Andreu Applauds Hamilton For Coming Out But Wishes It Had Happened Earlier Lance's people have made the Andreu family's life a living hell for years, as up until recently, they were the only ones saying Lance doped.
- Recommended Read: Great Interview From 2010: See How Lance's People Have Made Betsy Andreu's Life A Living Hell Mrs. Andreu is one of the only ones who has been telling the truth from the beginning.
- RR#2: Learn About Former US Postal Service Rider Who Quit Sport Rather Than Dope People need to read this to realize there are real victims when people like A-Rod and Lance cheat.
- Steve Mullings Runs World-Leading 9.89 Mullings is the guy that was forced to sit out from the NCAA thanks to a letsrun.com uproar back in 2005 and he deserves credit for having the fortitude to get back on top.
- Dwain Chambers Solos 10.01
- White Lightning Lemaitre Runs 10.08 To Win French Club Champs The level of his competion will go up a ton as he'll race Powell and Bolt on Thursday.
- Former HS Teammate Of Wanjiru Runs Best Race In 4 Years - Says Wanjiru Gave Her Some Of His Strength
- Recap Of South African 10km Road Champs
- Three Women Break 2:00 In Belarus
- Portugal's Ana Dulce Félix Runs 15:27 Road 5k In Austria
The Latest Sammy Wanjiru News
- A Must Read: Wife #1 And The Mother Of Sammy Wanjiru's Children Tallks To The Media: My life with star Wanjiru The human side of the tragedy is revealed throughout this piece, as after reading it, one realizes that while the world may have lost its greatest marathoner, his wife Triza Njeri has lost her husband and two children have lost their father. Njeri fell in love with Wanjiru before he had any money and used to share the living room with his mother while Sammy and his brother slept in the bedroom, but then Wanjiru got money and money = alcohol, and alcohol = big problems and eventually death. It also reveals that Wanjiru's mom used to love his wife, but that all changed when he got money, and Wanjiru's mom then inexplicably accused the wife of casting a spell on him. The saddest part is when Wanjiru's daughter proudly points to a picture of her father, not knowing that he has died.
- Recommended Read: Sammy Wanjiru's Former Coach Explains How Athletes Go From Nothing To Something Thanks To Japanese System One of those quoted said when he was an athlete, he left Kenya with less than $1 to his name but came back with nearly $200,000. Wanjiru probably came back with more. In terms of drinking, they seemed stunned that Wanjiru once ran up almost a $600 tab. Good thing he didn't drink in NYC, where the article says he was going to race in 2011. Note $1 US dollar = 85 Kenyan shillings.
- Sammy Wanjiru's Funeral Might Cost 2.5 Million Shillings That's about $30,000 bucks.
- Oregon's Vin Lananna Insists He Isn't Leaving To Become USATF CEO
- Oregon's Mike Reilly Likely To Take London 2012 Olympic Job The Olympic Trials might suffer, as Reilly is an organizational guru. Here's a little-known fact about Reilly: LetsRun.com coaching guru John Kellogg once rabbitted Reilly to a 4:23 high school PR, going through the 1k in 2:39-40 (he was shooting for sub-4:20).
- We 100% Disagree
Armory's Jack Pfeifer Thinks The Armory Can Revitalize The Millrose Games We have no doubt a great pro track meet can be put on by the Armory, but why in God's name they'd call it the Millrose Games is beyond us.
- Head Of European Broadcasting Union Says Track & Field May Be Jeopardizing Its Future By Selling Rights To Cable
- Track & Field News Preliminary Form Chart For USAs (Men) Some of the predictions make little sense to us. Rupp over Solinsky at 5k? Solinsky in the 10k - an event where he doesn't have a qualifying time for Worlds?
- Track & Field News Preliminary Form Chart For USAs (Women)
Doug Logan Lawsuit Over
Doug Logan Reaches Settlement With USATF On His Termination Eight months ago, Doug Logan, the USATF CEO, was canned by the Board of Directors and USATF argued he was fired with cause and they did not owe him his $1.6 million in severance. USATF reportedly had offered him a $500,000 severance before he sued. In their counterclaims, USATF argued he abused expense reports and called the Board a bunch of clowns. Meanwhile, 8 months later, USATF still doesn't have a new CEO, but things are running smoothly. Maybe the interim head should stay.
Our Sport's Top Events Are Popular
It Took A Full Week, But Sammy Wanjiru News Bumped Off The Top Spot *Pay Your Respects Here
Latest News: Wanjiru's Lover Says He Didn't Commit Suicide, Says He Planned To Marry Her That would have made her his 4th wife.
Judge's Ruling Postpones Sammy Wanjiru's Funeral 14 Days Sammy Wanjiru's tragic death has turned into a soap opera of sorts. Charges of murder against his legal wife by his mother, two other women coming forward claiming to be his wives, and two men coming forward claiming to be his dad (one a stepdad and one a biological dad he never met.). On Thursday, a judge postponed the funeral while the investigation continues and it was revealed the video cameras at Sammy's house don't show his fall.
*What The Video Cameras At Sammy Wanjiru's House Showed
Sammy Wanjiru's Biological Father, Who Never Met Him And Fathered Him While Married To Another Woman, Comes Forward
If It Hadn't Ended Tragically, You'd Have To Chuckle: Sammy's Biological Dad Says He Never Actually Spoke To Sammy Because He'd Call Between 8pm And 9pm And He Knows Now Sammy Was At The Bars Then
Nice Read: Professor Of The Marathon Sean Hartnett Remembers Sammy Wanjiru This article had the quote of the day earlier Friday.
Previous News On Sammy's Death
- Sammy Wanjiru's Mother Claims He Was Murdered
- LetsRun Poster Who Knew Details Of Wanjiru's Death Before Any Press Reports Says Not To Trust Sammy's Mother
Wanjiru News & Tributes Continue To Pour In
- How Did Sammy Wanjiru Beat The Heat At The 2008 Olympics??? Study shows that heat doesn't actually slow us down, our mind does first. "We don't slow down because we're dangerously hot; we slow down to avoid getting dangerously hot." For many people, it's a sell-fulfilling prophecy, but "maybe someone like Sammy Wanjiru simply wasn't burdened by the belief that heat would slow him down ..."
- Simon Turnbull: Wanjiru: The marathon man who ran fast and lived even faster The writer points out that Wanjiru and Prefontaine aren't the only greats to die early. Belgium's Ivo Van Damme, silver medallist in the 800 and 1,500 at the 1976 Games, died at age 22.
- Steven Downes: "So great was Wanjiru's talent, he was compared to figures from classical mythology."
- Kenyan Paper: Wanjiru's Meteoric Rise & Fall Eerily Resembles American Rapper Tupac Shakur
British 800m Star Jenny Meadows Sleeping In Altitude Tent Apart From Her Husband Until 2012 Olympics Her husband hopefully can find some solace in this thread.
Saturday's Top Action *Healthy Kidney Highlight Video *Healthy Kidney Photos
World Record Holder Leonard Komon Trounces Field To Pick Up $45,000 At Healthy Kidney 10k In Central Park Komon, the 10k world record holder, took on former World record holder Micah Kogo, World XC Champ Joseph Ebuya, and recent 27:24 10,000m runner Bobby Curtis, in New York's Central Park. Komon ran 27:35, smashing the course record and picking up $45,000. *Results
LRC Another Great Stanford Meet Is In The Books The 2011 Payton Jordan meet did not disappoint, as 22 runners got under the Olympic A standard in the men's and women's 10,000, as the "star" Americans in
Matt Tegenkamp and Shalane Flanagan got beaten. In the men's 10k, the winner was 20-year-old Bedan Karoki,
whose breathtaking move with more than seven laps to go instantly ended the race, which was the first one in American history where three Americans broke 27:30 (led by Bobby Curtis). In the men's 1,500, German Fernandez's struggles continued in the B heat (is it officially time to panic?), while Lopez Lomong and Evan Jager returned to action in the A heat that was won by Ben Blankenship. In the ladies' 1,500, Jordan Hasay got a PR and collegiate leader
finished 5th. The
story of the steeple was that Mark Wetmore-coached athletes shined and got the Olympic A standards, as Emma Coburn impressed from the opening moment of the race while Billy Nelson waited until late to unleash an incredibly impressive kick. In the men's 5k, Elliott Heath's unreal kick wasn't quite enough to get him the win, as seven broke 13:30. Read all about as we recap the top action for you.
*HS Senior Ammar Moussa Runs 14:05 To Win Heat In Payton Jordan 5k
*Athletics Weekly Recap Of Stanford 10k: Brit Chris Thompson Runs Fastest UK Time In 13 Years With 27:27
*IAAF Recap Of Payton Jordan 10k
*Register Guard Recap Of Payton Jordan Meet
*MB: Teg, Nelson 27:28, 13 under 'A' standard!
*Bobby Curtis 27:24, you all saw that right?
*Jordan Hasay 4:10
LRC John Kellogg Explains How He "Predicted" The Unpredictable - A Sub-2:03:59 In Boston LetsRun.com's coaching guru explains the rationale behind his non-prediction that is making waves around the globe. Years of timed out-and-back and straight-shot tempos with the wind in Waco, Texas (and other windy Texas venues) proved invaluable to his understanding the effects of the wind. JK took a stab at converting the Boston performances by Mutai and Hall to London and Berlin and even reveals what would happen if the Boston Mutai raced the London Mutai.
The Sport Loses A Legend *Grete Waitz's NYC Marathon Results
Grete Waitz Loses Battle With Cancer Waitz is best known for being a 9-time New York City Marathon champion, a class act, and a pioneer in the sport, but she also was a 4:00 1,500m runner and an 8:31 3,000m
runner. As a kid, watching her on ABC win
NYC every year was one of the site founders' earliest running memories. She will be missed. Thanks to Leo Kulinski for the photo. Another one here.
*Pay Your Respects In This Thread
Virgin London Marathon *Watch Full Race On Demand *Photos
LRC Emmanuel Mutai Runs The Best 10km Ever In A Marathon To Destroy The Field & Arrive As One Of The World's Best
A lead pack that was a who's who of marathoning went through 30km together, but soon the race would be nothing but a coronation for Emmanuel Mutai, who destroyed the field with a 28:44 4th 10k and ended up with a 2:04:40 course record. Almost as big of a story as Mutai's
incredible run was the fact that the 2nd placer ended up being one of the all-time greats - Martin Lel - who shocked even himself in his first marathon since Beijing 2008. American Jason Lehmkuhle was the only elite American finisher as the three rookie American marathoners went out too fast and blew up - none worse than Mo Trafeh, who ran with the lead pack for 15 km.
LRC Women's Marathoning Has A New Star Named Mary Keitany Keitany knocked nearly 10 minutes off her personal best and knocked Liliya Shobukhova off her pedestal as the best in the world, as Keitany ran the first sub-2:20 since 2008 and made mincemeat of "undoubtedly" of the strongest women's field in London history. All together, a record 22 women broke 2:30 - but that didn't include US Olympian Magdalena Lewy-Boulet.
April Fools News
Tokyo Marathon: A Legend Is Born *Photos
Hailu Mekonnen Wins, Japanese Amateur Yuki Kawauchi Runs Amazing 2:08:37 For 3rd And Faints At Finish Yuki Kawauchi's story is amazing.
A 13:59 5ker and 29:02 10ker, he has a full-time job and has stayed away from the Japanese collegiate and professional system, yet he stunned all of Japan with a 2:08:37 run. Dreams do become reality.
*On The Boards: 13:59 5k, 29:02 10k Japanese AMATEUR Runs 2:08:37 at Tokyo Marathon and Passes Out
The 10 Best High School XC Runners Ever
LRC Week That Was: The 10 Best High School XC Runners Of All Time, Verzbicas, Tribute To Gary Reed, The NY Times & The NE Patriots And More We've got the entire running world covered from San Diego to Japan, from the high school ranks to the pros, and even talk about the NE Patriots and the NY Times.
Stephanie Hightower For USATF CEO?
USATF President Stephanie Hightower Could Become USATF CEO Search committee chair Steve Miller acknowledged to the preeminent Olympic writer in the US, Philip Hersh, that USATF president Stephanie Hightower could become the CEO of USATF. The move would be highly controversial, considering the USOC has
said it would
not be a good idea to make a board member CEO, not to mention the fact that many of you all do not have a positive perception of Hightower. The search committee has kept the candidates names confidential until now, so the leak of the Hightower candidacy seems deliberately done to test the public reaction. It seems obvious to us that if Hightower wants to be considered for the job, she should resign as USATF President immediately.
On The Boards: "Very Possible" That Hightower Could Be CEO
Pro Track Returns On Thursday With One Of The World's Top Meets
Rome Diamond League: Rome Entries: Bolt Vs. Powell At 100m, Allyson Felix Vs. Sanya Richards At 400m, Great Women's 1,500 Not all Diamond League meets are equal and this one shows how it used to be in the more prestigious Golden League.
More Pro News:
- Rashid Ramzi's Drug Ban Is Up, He May Compete For Bahrain Again
- Michael Johnson Says Bolt Could Get Faster At 100 And 200, Break 400m World Record
- Blade Runner Owns Two White Tigers Worth $50,000 A Piece He'll compete in NYC in 3 weeks.
- UK Athletics Performance Chair Charles Van Commenee Praises Jessica Ennis For Competing When She's Not 100%
Meet Some Of The Best NCAA Coaches Past & Present
- A Must Watch John McDonnell Uncut: 17 Minutes Of Video With The Greatest NCAA Track/XC Coach In History This video interview is very well done and covers McDonnell's whole career from the highlight (first NCAA title) to lowlight (losing NCAAs after winning 14 years in a row), but what comes across is what a class act Johnny Mac was and still is. The secret? Hard work. "When I was coaching, I was the drillmaster to myself. I left the house - never later than 6:30 in the morning - and never got home before 6:30 and that went on all year long except for two months in the summer. I'm definitely not an ego-type person. I always like to stand back and let the athlete get the glory. They are the guys out there hurting and doing the job. It helped me as coach to (not have an ego). Egos are good if they are controlled.
- Meet UConn Coach Greg Roy - A High School Coach At Heart Roy is terribly underrated, as UConn is a Big East power seemingly every year. "As a high school coach, you kind of take what you've got and you make a team out of it. You don't have the luxury of going out and recruiting the best distance guy or the best thrower. You've got to be a teacher and you've got to field a full team. That's been my approach ever since."
2011 USATF High Performance Meet At Occidental College
*Results *Watch 800 & 1,500 Race Replays On Right & All Races Here & Here
Five 800 Runners Get "A" Standard As Men's 1,500 Runners Don't Go With Rabbits The men's 1,500 was supposed to be the highlight, but the 800 runners stole the show, as Cory Primm (1:44.71)
and Tyler Mulder (1:44.83) picked up the A standard in the men's 800, with Jeff Riseley (1:45.02) dominating the "third" section with an A qualifier of his own, and Khadevis Robinson (1:46.01) taking the "second" heat. In the women's 800, Alice Schmidt (1:59.48) and Maggie Vessey (1:59.56) got Worlds qualifiers as well. In the men's 1,500, 7 guys ran 3:37.20 or better but none
got the A standard. In the end, Andrew Wheating outkicked a bunch of guys to win in 3:36.46 in a race where Canada's Taylor Milne was the only one who ran with a pair and tried to go with the perfect pace that was being effortlessly set by Olympic silver medallist
Nick Willis, who went through 1,200 in 2:53. Sub-13 man Matt Tegenkamp finished dead last in 3:40.
*Nick Willis Is Rightly Not Worried About Not Having Worlds Time Hardly anyone has the time and the Olympic silver medallist is starting his first season after an injury-free buildup for the first time in 3 years. He rabbitted the 1,500 on Saturday and looked effortless in going through 1,200 in 2:53.
High School News
- Edward Cheserek Completes 1:52/4:10/8:53 Triple Is he better than Lukas V?
- TX High Schooler Runs 4:06 Road Mile Pretty cool to lear that the Congress Avenue Mile brings in the fastest 96 boys and girls from Texas to race. *Congress Avenue Press Release *Congress Avenue Mile Results
- Illinois' Kayla Beattie Runs # 5 All-Time 3,200 Of 9:56.96 She also did 4:43.65 for the 1,600.
- WV Sophomore Jacob Burcham 9:11/4:06 Double, 800 Yet To Come
- Nevada Junior Nick Hartle Runs 1:49/4:10
- Profile Of Billy Orman - The 4:06/8:48 Dude Who Is Headed To Harvard
- Profile Of Lukas V We have to disagree with his coach, who calls him the greatest US HS distance runner in history. On accomplishments alone, we'd say others achieved more, and then we're not sure if he's even a US citizen - and he certainly wasn't for all of HS.
Not Your Everyday Running-Related Story
John Perry, Former MD Decathlete And Roommate Of Olympian Mark Coogan, Is On Hunger Strike In NYC And Vows To Continue Until Death Perry vows the hunger strike will go on unless the New Yorker retracts a story it wrote about him last year.
*Perry's Website *New Yorker Article *More Info
Famous Women In The News
- 2004 Olympic Marathon Champ Noguchi Back To Training At 620 Miles Per Month
- Carolina Klüft To Retire After 2012 Olympic Games Some would argue she basically retired when she gave up the heptathlon a few years back.
- Germany's Betty Heidler Sets World Record In Women's Hammer
Week That Was
LRC Week In Review: Dorian Ulrey And The End Of Millrose Sammy Wanjiru's death has delayed our analysis of the last week, but we have high praise for Dorian Ulrey and even reached out to Eamonn Coghlan for some thoughts on Millrose.
RR: *A Brief Chat WIth Dorian Ulrey Ulrey talks about how he got a huge base indoors as he sat out that season and how last year, he ran a 1k time trial indoors in 2:18 that would have been the collegiate record!
- Jenny (Barringer) Simpson Says She Won't Run Steeple As Primary Event This Year
- Because Of A Bet, David Torrence Was Going To Have To Run Nude If He Didn't Run Sub-4, So He Went Out And Ran A 3:46 Downhill
- Jason Hartman Talks About Beating Meb At Zazzle Bay To Breakers
- Ritz Says If You Want To Be Good, Go Run For University Of Colorado
- Tyler Mulder Hopes His Continued Improvement Puts Him On Worlds Team At 800
- Ben St. Lawrence - From Party Animal To Distance Stud In 5 Years
2011 NCAA Track & Field D1 Fields Released
Time To Learn Some T&F History - 40 Years Ago, Jim Ryun & Marty Liquori Ran A Dream Mile In Philly & It More Than Lived Up To The Hype
- Recommended Read #1 NY Times: 40 Years Ago, Track Was At The "Front And Center" Of America's Consciousness, But Today We Are Indifferent (& Millrose's Move Proves It) 40 years ago, the US public was very much into the Dream Mile rivalry of Marty Liquori and Jim Ryun. "Forty years on, it's hard to imagine the average American giving a second thought to any track rivalry, never mind debating it on sports radio. That is probably why the move by Millrose, uptown and perhaps into obscurity, has been met with barely a shrug. It deserves better."
- Recommended Read #2 The 40th Anniversary Of The Dream Mile Between Marty Liquori & Jim Ryun Passes With Hardly A Whisper From The Media A couple of good quotes from Liquori: "I guess, as they say, things were a lot different in those days. There was no ESPN. Everyone watched the same events. It was a very focused thing for the nation to see that race. The buildup had been coming for two years ..." "Perhaps the thing that made it so unusual is sometimes big rivalries rarely live up to the buildup. They just don't pan out. But the two of us separated ourselves and literally sprinted almost all-out from 600 yards out."
Usain Bolt News
- In Past Usain Bolt Has Had Issues With Back Condition, Scoliosis, But He Says He Is Ready To Start His Season In Rome Next Week Although he admits to being a "little bit nervous" which seems very un-Bolt like.
- Bolt's Coach Agrees That Bolt Is Healthy And Fit
- Usain Bolt Dismisses Rumors Of Back Injury & Says, "I am fit and ready to start my season."
- Wow: Usain Bolt Surpasses Lebron James As World's Most Marketable Athlete
- Prefontaine: Unbelievable 2 Mile At Pre Classic World Champs Lagat and Kipchoge, young stud Yenew, and T. Bekele, not to mention Americans Tegenkamp, Rupp and Solinsky, plus overmatched high schooler Lukas Verzbicas.
- LinkedIn Human Centipede Runs 37-Flat For 12k At Bay To Breakers
- Pittsburgh: Rabbit Jeff Eggleston Catches Up To Leaders And Finishes Them Off To Win Pittsburgh Marathon
- Alemtsehay Misganaw Finishes 2nd At Pittsburgh And Then Is DQed Because She Was Entered In The Half Marathon It cost her $4,000.
- Shanghai DL: China Super-Pleased With Liu Xiang Win In Shanghai And His New 7-Step Technique To The First Hurdle David Oliver had won 18 straight until Liu Xiang stopped him in Shanghai.
Shanghai Diamond League: Liu Xiang Is Back! Liu Xiang stunned David Oliver in the 110m hurdles before the home crowd. Veronica
Campbell Brown (VCB) beat Carmelita Jeter in the 100m, and Asafa Powell won the men's. In the distances, Vivian Cheruiyot triumphed
in the 5,000m duel with Linet Masai, Asbel Kiprop was defeated in the 1,500m, Jenny Meadows won the 800m, and Olympic champ Brimin Kipruto nipped Paul Koech in the steeple. *Results
Manchester: Powerade City Games: Tyson Gay Wins 150, Allyson Felix Cruises In 200 On Streets Of Manchester In rainy and cold conditions, Gay went through 100m in 9.91 to win the 150m on a track set up in downtown Manchester. Afterwards, Gay said of the street meet format, "It's a crowd we can't get in the United States."
Haile Gebrselassie Pulls Away From Chris Thompson For Win At BUPA Great Manchester Run Craig Mottram was 4th. Afterwards, Haile G went crazy with praise for Chris Thompson.
Zazzle Bay To Breakers Successfully Turns 100: Ridouane Harroufi Outsprints Boston Champ Deriba Merga The policy cracked down on sobriety this year, so Harroufi did not have his bottle of vodka and 20 beers when he outkicked Merga. Jason Hartmann edged Meb for FAM (first American man).
Women: Lineth Chekpkurui Repeats Magdalena Lewy Boulet was FAW. *Results The police crackdown was successful, as people boozed it up a little, but didn't go crazy and use homes along the course as public toilets. *Photos
Pittsburgh Marathon: Rabbit Jeffrey Eggleston Wins Eggleston is doing it his own way, training in Flagstaff, Arizona. Sounds a little bit like Wejo except Eggleston is vegan. Check out his blog here. *MB: Rabbit Hangs in the race, wins the Pittsburgh Marathon
Say It Ain't So ... RIP Millrose?
Sad, Sad Day: It's Official - Millrose Games RIP ... "Millrose" To The Armory Next year, the great event formerly known as the Millrose Games will be held not at Madison Square Garden but at the Armory. They can call it what they want, but in our opinion, it's not the Millrose
Games. Wejo: "The Millrose Games at the Armory is not the Millrose Games. It's like having the New York City Marathon in Long Island or Iowa for that matter."
*NY Daily News: Millrose On The Move To say Millrose is on the move would be like saying a horse race in May at a random track not named Churchill Downs was the Kentucky Derby. We don't get why they don't just say Millrose is gone - we're having another random meet at the Armory instead.
*AP Article: Millrose Games moving uptown to Armory We disagree. A random track meet will take place at the Armory.
"The Road Of Death"
Feature On Somali Runners Training Each Day On "Road Of Death" For London 2012 (Video) The video shows how some Somali athletes avoid gunfire each day to realize their dream of competing and winning at the 2012 Games. *LRC MB: Top Video on MSNBC Is Feature on Somali Runners Training Each Day on 'Road of Death' For London 2012
Distance Races At 2011 Pre Classic To Be Run Under Lights And Free To Public!!! Tom Jordan is right in saying he has assembled "the best fields ever on American soil," as marathon aces Asbel Kirui and Moses Mosop will go after the men's world record at 25k and 30k, Dibaba, Cheruiyot, Masai and Flanagan will race the women's 5k and 7 Ethiopians and 12 Kenyans are scheduled to go out in 13:18 in the men's 10k. *LRC MB: A Look At Who's Running What In The Magical Distance Races At The 2011 Pre Classic
Boston Marathon *Live Boston Thread *Women's Reaction *Men's Reaction
*Video Highlights *Weather *Photos
One For The Ages In Boston: Desiree And The Fastest Marathon Ever Run "Unbelievable" is probably the best way to describe the 2011 Boston Marathon. First, American Desiree Davila, off the back of the lead pack multiple times, was gutsy as hell, battling for the win with Caroline Kilel down the final straight. There were 4 lead changes on the final straight before Kilel came out on top. In the men's race, American Ryan Hall ran 2:04:57 and lost by nearly 2 minutes. Yes, ladies and gentleman, Geoffrey Mutai and Moses Mosop ran faster than anyone else ever before the in the marathon, 2:03:02 and 2:03:06 respectively, thanks in part to 20 mph tailwinds. Mutai cemented his status as the strongest runner on the planet with the win. We give you some post-race comments below but purposely are holding off discussing the wind.
2011 World XC *Results *New Women's Race Photos *New Men's Race Photos
LRC: Shalane Flanagan Gets Bronze The Olympic bronze medallist and ING NYC Marathon runner-up ran a stellar race to snatch the bronze versus a star-studded field. Flanagan appeared to be dropped with 2km to go, but dug deep to stay in contention and battle back for the bronze. World 5,000m champ Vivian Cheruiyot pulled away from World 10,000m
Linet Masai for gold. The American women did very well to get a repeat bronze medal.
Men: Imane Merga Blasts Away From Four Kenyans In Sprint To Win The Kenyan men dominated the team competition and had 4 of the top 5 guys in the pack for the sprint the final 400m. However, the lone Ethiopian - Imane Merga, the Diamond League 5,000m champion - got the win the Kenyan nation wants most every year. Ben True was the first American in 36th, as he and fellow Ivy Leaguer Max King were America's two best.
Sad News: Sally Meyerhoff Killed In Cycling Accident The two-time All-American and US Olympic Trials qualifier as well former US champion at 25km was killed on Tuesday in a cycling accident at the young age of 27 while she trained for the Ironman World
Championship. *LRC MB: Sad News: Sally Meyerhoff Killed in Accident
*Abc15.com Article With Video On Meyerhoff's Death
*More Sad News: Florida High School Track Athlete Sarah Landauer Dies After Collapsing At Practice
Train Smarter (More In The Training Forum)
- Lydiard vs magill vs malmo for summer cross country training
- Couple questions about summer training?
- Peter Snell Interview and his thoughts on Lydiard training
- Sprinter to Distance : My quest to run sub 2
Men's 1,500 From Occidental
Men's 800 From Occidental
Everyone Might Want To Watch 60 Minutes On Sunday
George Hincapie, Like A "Brother" To Lance Armstrong, Reportedly Testified Armstrong Doped A day after Olympic champ (and liar and cheat) Tyler Hamilton said Lance Armstrong doped, George Hincapie, who is like a "brother" to Lance, reportedly
told the grand
Lance doped. This is big news because many, including just today The Ticket (a top 5 sports radio station in America), said if someone who was more credible like Hincapie came forward, it would bear more weight.
Tyler Hamilton Confession Letter He explains to his friends why he lied for so long.
Sammy On Haile In November In NYC: "I want to be like Haile."
Remembering Sammy Wanjiru (News On Events Surrounding His Death In Left-Hand Column)
LRC RIP Sammy Wanjiru: The World's Greatest Marathoner Has Died Yesterday in the article above, we paid tribute to Sammy's incredible career and now athletes, journalists, and industry insiders are all paying their respects to the incredible marathoner Sammy Wanjiru.
- Excellent Read: Toni Reavis - "I am Sammy Wanjiru!" Well worth a read. Quote of the day.
- Brett Larner With A Fabulous Compilation Of Quotes On Sammy Wanjiru's Life, Career And Death Well worth a read as well. Gives you a good sense on the Japanese influence on his marathon career and his mental toughness.
- Kenyan Runners In Iten React To Sammy Wanjiru's Death
Liu Xiang Stops David Oliver's 18-Race Winning Streak
Train Smarter (More In Our Training Forum)
- Questions about Summer of Malmo
- SHORT REST INTERVAL TRAINING WITH DANNY HENDERSON 1983-1984
- Summary of Renato Canova principles
- Staying motivated when you want to stop
- 2 long runs + 2 workouts a week
- Workout Heroes vs. Workout Zeros
Stanford Photo Gallery
London 2011 Photos
Boston (Updated Photo Gallery Below) *Recap Analysis: *JK On The Wind *Wejo On Desiree *Rojo *London And Boston *Video Highlights
Desiree Davila Pure Guts
Women's World XC In Photos
Men's World XC In Photos
Train Smarter (More In The Training Forum)
- Wow, Lydiard training seems ridiculously hard
- best marathon improvement after age 40?
- How does "strength" differ from "speed" and "endurance" as a runner?
- "A runner needs a LT run every 2 to 5 days in order to not lose any aerobic ability."
Universal Sports Back To Top