2013 USA Outdoor Champs Start Thursday - Women - *LRC Fan Polls - Pick Now *Schedule *TV/Internet Stream Info *Start Lists/Results
Jordan Hasay Joins Nike Oregon Project Al Sal will be coaching her.
Contest Back Up Our apologies for it being down earlier Wednesday.
LRC $20,013 USAs Prediction Contest Is Here Our contest is simple. Pick the top 3 in each running event. Don't know anything about the events? No problem. We have a guide for you. Only care about the distance events? No problem. Pick them perfectly and you could win $2,013.
LRC Women's 1,500: Does Mary Cain Make It To Moscow? What About Past Champions Uceny, Rowbury Or Moser? Picking the first two is easy. The question is who wins, and who gets third?
*South Bend Tribune: No longer the miler to beat - Uceny battling to return to elite form
*Competitor.com Profile Of 2-Time Cancer Survivor: Gabriele Anderson Continues Beating The Odds
*After Not Setting A 1,500 PR For 7 Years, Treniere Moser Is Having A Breakthrough Year After Switching Coaches To Alberto Salazar
LRC Women's Steeplechase Preview: With Defending Champ Emma Coburn Out, Moscow Spots Are There For The Taking Picking the first two is easy. The question is who wins, and who gets third?
*Star Tribune: Minnesota Steeplechaser Jamie Cheever Aims For Spot In World Championships With Coburn injured, Cheever has the top seed after her big 22 second PR (9:29) at Stanford earlier this year.
*Carrie Tollefson Interview With Cheever
LRC Women's 800 Preview: Montaño, Martinez And Then Who? Picking the first two is easy. The question is who wins, and who gets third?
*RRW: With Help From Coach Joe Vigil, Brenda Martinez Confident Going Into USA Championships
LRC Women's 10k Preview: Flanagan And Goucher Return To Track To Take On Hastings, Uhl And Hasay Shalane Flanagan and Kara Goucher both have global championship medals on the track at 10,000m. The 10k is weak on the world stage this year, and Goucher and Flanagan are hoping to book their tickets to Moscow in Des Moines. They'll face Olympic Trials Champ Amy Hastings, Lisa Uhl and Jordan Hasay.
*Neely Spence Is Out With Stress Fracture
*Lisa Uhl Happy To Be Back Training And Racing In Native Iowa After Two Years In Oregon "Ever since I've been back, it's been really great for my attitude and my happiness," Uhl said. "I'm really excited to race at Drake."
*USATF Comes Through! Live 10,000 Coverage USATF will provide 50 hours of streaming coverage on a new USATF.tv site, including race walking and field events. More USATF coverage below and in middle column.
*USATF Meet Preview
More: *Jenny Simpson Scratches 1,500, Running 5,000 Simpson has an automatic entry to World Champs in the 1,500 as the defending champion.
*Molly Huddle's Foot Is Pain Free For 1st Time In Years
*Lolo Jones' Attempt At Humor Backfires With Bobsled Video
*English Gardner Is One Of 10 Women's Semifinalists For The Bowerman
European Team Champs Are This Weekend *Gateshead Entries *1st, 2nd And 3rd League Entries Here
- Hannah England Running 1,500 This Weekend: "In the 1,500m you have the opportunity for just one defensive move and one offensive move in a single race."
- Fionnuala Britton Has Withdrawn From The Women's 5,000 Metres With A Chest Infection
- British Captain Perri Shakes-Drayton Doesn't Want To Be Thrown In Steeple Pit If TeamWins; "My hair. I don’t want that. It will ruin my hair."
- Knee Injury Has Forced Olympic Bronze Medallist Robbie Grabarz To Pull Out Of The European Athletics Team Championships Meet is live on BBC One. *Full GB & NI Team Here
3-Time Olympian Lee Trop Compares 18-Year-Old Jake Birtwhistle To Craig Mottram www.examiner.com.au The 18-year-old has an 8:09 3k PR and was 41st at World Jr. XC.
Random US: No Money In Bobsledding For Lolo Jones
- Lolo Jones Makes Video Complaining About How She Only Got $741.84 For The Entire Bobsled Season vine.co She shared it along with the line, "I'm going to be a little late on my rent this month."
- Jones' Video Rubbed Some Other US Bobsledders The Wrong Way With The Most Accomplished Bobsledder In US History Calling It A "Slap In The Face" He said he made less than $3,000 and at 33 years old, still lives in a dorm at the Olympic Training center because that's the only thing he can afford.
- After 32 Years Of Coaching And 18 Years At Texas, Head Coach Bubba Thornton Is Retiring
- At 28 Years Old, Nadia Ruiz Becomes Youngest Woman To Run 100 Marathons She has run a 3:15, but wants to eventually get under 3 hours.
The previous female record was 34 years old.
*Video Interview With Rudia Before Her 100th Race
- Women's Preview For This Weekend's Jamaican National Championships (World Trials) In the 100, Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce qualifies automatically as last year's DL winner, while Veronica Campbell-Brown's positive drug test rules her out, so the battle for the top three spots this weekend is wide open.
- Jamaican Observer: "Sadly We've Been Down This Road Before: VCB Adds To List Of Jamaicans Failing Drug Tests In Recent Past" Others include Steve Mullings, Dominique Blake and Sheri-Ann Brooks.
- Video Of Usain Bolt Driving Formula 1 Car Around Track Last Week At Oslo DL Meet
- Japanese-Born Comedian Who Tried To Gain Selection To Cambodian Olympic Marathon Team, Hiroshi Neko, Loses Cambodia Half Marathon To Native-Born Rival Hem Bunting
- SA Olympic Chief Says Meeting With IAAF Explaining Takover Of Athletics SA Went Well The IAAF requested the meeting saying the national athletics federation could be suspended by the global governing body due to outside interference.
Cycling Update: Former President Of USA Cycling Mike Plant Withdraws His Support From UCI Pres. Pat McQuaid And Shares Secret Report On McQuaid's Handling Of Lance Armstrong Scandal The info in it is not being shared, but the President of British Cycling said he was "disturbed" by what he heard.
Veronica Campbell-Brown Updates
- Inside Source Says VCB Drug Issue Has Been "Overblown" And She Could Just Receive A 3-Month Ban Or Even A Public Reprimand The source said, "No serious drugs were involved, no PEDs were involved, that's all I will say." However, the articles goes on to mention that diuretics are a possible masking agent for the use of steroids.
- President Of Jamaica Olympic Association Mike Fennell Pleads With Public And Media To Not "Jump The Gun" Over The Veronica Campbell-Brown Drug Test "There is no question that news like this, if not properly controlled, can be very damaging to Jamaica ... Let us not jump to final conclusions before we have gone through the process and know exactly what the facts are."
- Because The Idea They Would Intentionally Dope Is Just Crazy: Glen Mills (Usain Bolt's Coach) Says The Government Needs To Establish An Anti-Doping Lab In Jamaica To Protect Its World-Class Athletes From Taking Contaminated Substances Talking about VCB, he said, "It just re-emphasises the need for all involved to be extremely vigilant ... It's a minefield
out there. Any substance that you take up could be contaminated."
*MB: Wallace Spearmon backing VCB - "She wouldn't do anything like that."
VCB's "B" Sample Test Positive For Diuretic The Jamaica Gleaner is reporting Veronica Campbell-Brown's "B" sample came back positive as well for a diuretic. The drug is supposedly Lasix, which is also given to horses.
*VCB Through The Years In Pictures
On The Boards: "B" Sample Positive
Junior Athletes In The News
- UK: Teen Sprinter Adam Gemili Runs Fastest 200 By A Briton For Five Years With 22.30 (8th On UK All-Time List) At England Athletics Under-20 and Under-23 Champs We don't understand who's advising him when he says, "I would love to go to the Worlds as well, but the European Under-23s come first and is the top priority. I have plenty of time to run at senior level." Potentially pass up a chance to run at the World Championships so you can focus on U-23 Euros?
- Jodie Williams Continues Her Comeback Year, Winning 200 In 23.21
*Video Of Gemeli's 20.30
*Meet Site/All Race Videos
- Jamaica: Recap Of Jamaican National Junior Championships: Yanique Thompson Sets Youth World Leading 100H Time With 13.23
- Calabar High School's Michael O'Hara Sets World Youth Leading 100 With 10.39 To Win Under-18 Race
Previous VCB News
- Previous Two-Time Olympic 200 Champion Veronica Campbell-Brown Reportedly Has Tested Positive For A Diuretic All day, there was buzz as it was reported early Friday
that a female Jamaican medallist
had tested positive. Was it going to be a big fish or small fish? A very big one indeed.
MB: Two-time Olympic 200 champ Veronica Campbell-Brown has reportedly tested positive for a diuretic
MB: Female Jamaican Olympic medallist tests positive
- 10.01 Japanese Teen Yoshihide Kiryu Breaks 19-Year-Old Japanese High School 200 Record With 20.41
- Brazil's Alan Oliveira Becomes Fastest Leg Amputee 100m Runner, Breaking Oscar Pistorius' Record With 10.77 In Berlin Pistorius jointly held by the 10.85 record with Blake Leeper.
- Jamaican National Junior Championships Start Today; Will Select Team For IAAF World Youth Championships In The Ukraine In July
- German SPer Christina Schwanitz Hoping To Medal In Moscow After Having "Psychological" Breakthrough This Year Which Has Left Her Undefeated In 2013 "I want to win a medal, and I want to beat Valerie Adams."
- Hungary's Olympic Champ Krisztian Pars And Germany's WR Holder Betty Heidler Win IAAF Hammer Throw Challenge In Szczecin, Poland
- Blogger Argues For Inclusion Of The Hammer Throw In The Diamond League Series
- Multis: Kai Kazmirek (Decathlon) And Kira Biesenbach (Heptathlon) The Leaders After Day 1 Of The IAAF Combined Events Challenge In Ratingen
- Elite Fields Released For Next Sunday's BAA 10k: 2013 Boston Marathon Champ Lelisa Desisa Leads Men's Field He'll face 2012 B.A.A. Distance Medley champion Allan Kiprono, Aaron Braun, Jason Hartman and Alistair Cragg. The women's Distance Medley champ Kim Smith heads the women's field against 2011 champ and Lineth Chepkuru.
- Maggie Vessey Vs. Jamaica's Kenia Sinclair Highlights Edmonton Track Classic 800 On June 29th
*Sanya Richards-Ross In Edmonton 400 This article says Yohan Blake will be in the 200 against Warren Weir and Walter Dix, but the start lists don't list Blake yet.
*Edmonton Track Classic Start Lists Highlights include Jason Richardson in 110H, Luguelin Santos in the 400, Lolo Jones in the 100H and Veronica Campbell-Brown was listed in the 200, but as she has failed a drug test, that probably won't happen.
- Adam Gemili, Katarina Johnson-Thompson And Jodie Williams Highlight Entry Lists For England Athletics Under-23 And Under-20 Championships
- Jessica Ennis' Coach Says Her Ankle Injury Is Healing And She Should Compete In Her First Heptathlon Since London In Tallinn Estonia On June 29-30
- Olympic 1,500 Finalist And Steve Cram-Coached Runner Laura Weightman Is Having A Good Year After Running An 8:43 3,000 She'll race the 3k for the UK at the European Team Championships.
Olympian Guor Marial Makes Emotional Return To South Sudan After Being Away From His Family For 20 Years Guor ran in London under the Olympic flag but now is a US citizen.
Extensive Gary Cohen Q&A With 1972 Boston Marathon And 1972/73 NYC Champion Nina Kuscsik Kuscsik's Boston win in 1972 was the the first year with official women entrants.
2013 Oslo Bislett Games *Event-By-Event Results *Full Oslo Bislett Results *Official 2013 Bislett Games Thread *US HS Nationals Are Fri.-Sun.
*Results *LRC Recap
LRC Men's Steeple: Conseslus Kipruto Beats Ezekiel Kemboi Again There was no shoving or DQs this time and as a result, we've officially got a new king (for now) in the event. Good news, Jager fans - Kipruto is getting slower each time he races.
LRC Women's 5,000: Meseret Defar Emphatically Wins Her Rematch With Genzebe Dibaba (link fixed) Those of us who thought Genzebe Dibaba was the 5,000 world champion were given a rude awakening tonight as Defar crushed her over the final 300. And that spells bad news for US 1,500 hopes. Coverage of 5,000 only. More coverage coming later.
LRC Men's 200: Usain Bolt Returns To His Winning Ways - Wins 2013 Bislett Games 200 In World-Leading 19.79 Coverage of 200 only. More coverage coming later.
*The Telegraph: "Usain Bolt Silences Critics By Claiming Summer's Fastest 200"
LRC Rest Of The Meet (All Other Events): Ayanleh Souleiman Wins Dream Mile, Yekaterina Poistogova Wins Women's 800 The pace was way too hot in the women's 800 and also too hot in our minds in the men's mile.
More: Tiffany Porter (100H) And Shara Proctor (LJ) Lead UK Performances With Wins In Oslo
*Daily Relay: Five Things We Learned At The Bislett Games
*EARecap European Performances From Oslo: Czech Republic's Olympic Bronze Medalist Zuzana Hejnova Won Her 4th DL 400H Race Of The Season In 53.60
News From The Caribbean
- Yohan Blake Says He Eats 16 Bananas A Day
- Video Interviews: Maurice Greene Talks With Yohan Blake, Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce And Veronica Campbell-Brown Blake says he almost went to college in the United States because he "loves white girls."
- IAAF Inside Athletics Episode 16: Ato Boldon Interviews Kirani James
Assorted US News
- Robby Andrews Says Training Is Going Well And He "Feels Fast" Even If It Isn't Showing In Races He just ran a 1:49.74 for 4th place in Toronto.
- Past US Olympians And World Class Athletes Competing On 4 X 100 Relay Teams At US Champs To Raise Money For Boston Bombing Victims 1992 Olympic 800 bronze medalist Johnny Gray is on one of the teams.
- USOC Looking At "A Little More Ten" American Cities For Potential 2024 Olympic Bids San Francisco, Philadelphia, Boston, Dallas and Los Angeles "appear to the be the most likely cities for a bid."
- Kentucky Woman Running 50-Mile Ultra To Raise Money For Her Mission Work In Uganda
Surprising: Brenda Martinez To Run 800, Not 1,500, At USAs The 1,500 team just got a lot easier for Mary Cain to make as the US gets to send 4.
The 2013 NCAA Championships *Live Results *Heat Sheets *LRC Post-Race Interviews *LRC Day 4 Photos *LRC Day 3 Photos *LRC Day 2 Photos *LRC Day 1 Photos *LRC $20,013 Prediction Contest Scores
LRC Men's 1,500: Oregon's Mac Fleet Kicks To Victory To Delight Of Hometown Crowd Fleet was third at PAC-12s but first at
NCAAs as he provided the in-stadium highlight of the 2013 NCAA champs while the crowd went nuts. 4:21 HSer Zach Perkins of Air Force was the runner-up as a
true soph. We recap that plus post-race shoving shenanigans.
*Oregonian: Duck men 4th, but Mac Fleet's 1,500 victory reverberates Fleet is full of praise for coach Andy Powell. "(He) believed in me, I think, more than anyone, that I'd be able to bounce back. Without Andy, I don't think I'm here (with a title)."
*Recommended Watch: Texas' Patrick McGregor Was "Having The Race Of His Life Until 100 To Go" When He Fell To The Track
*MB: MAC FLEET FTW
*MB: Riley Masters Blames McGregor
*MB: NCAA Men's 1500m Live Updates
LRC Men's 5,000: Lawi Lalang Defeats Two Fresh Sub-13:20 Guys To Complete The 10k/5k Double Paul Chelimo and Diego Estrada were a very respectable 2nd and 3rd.
*MB: Lawi Doubles 13:35 FTW
*MB: LAWI vs. ESTRADA vs. JENKINS
*MB: Who exactly are the best in their events to never win an NCAA title?
Team Competition: Wild 4 X 400 Finish Results In Texas A&M And Florida Sharing NCAA Team Championship With 53 Points Texas A&M's powerhouse 4 x 400 team dropped the stick and only scored a single point as Florida won the event to miraculously tie A&M. Amazingly, in the year 2013, there is no tiebreaker. Arkansas was 3rd (46.5) and Oregon 4th (44).
*Texas A&M's Men Feel The Aggie-Ny Of NCAA Track And Field Title Tie
*MB: Pat Henry leaving A&M for University of Texas?
*Mike Holloway Pleased With Tie: "There's the old saying (about ties), it's like kissing your sister. I love my sisters."
*MB: Why the hell is there not a tie breaker for the team Champion at NCAA Champs?!?!?!?!
*MB: WTF: Did Dwight Stones Just Screw Up the NCAA Team Title on ESPNU?
LRC Day 4 Photos
Greer Wins NCAA Title Number Two, Denies Cas Loxsom Of Coveted Title Number One The two seniors both wanted this one badly and were way better than everyone else in the field.
*MB: Elijah MF Greeeerrrr FTW! 2x NATIONAL CHAMPION - 2013 NCAA's
*MB: 800m final - why were the Penn State uniforms not matching?
*R-G: "Elijah Greer closed out his Oregon career by accomplishing what everyone expected when he arrived."
LRC Steeple: Anthony Rotich Wins As Henry Lelei Goes Down On The Final Water Barrier The Kenyans up front ran super-fast as Rotich came into NCAAs with an 8:37 PR but left with an 8:21 IAAF "A" standard. Former US junior champ Curtis Carr of BYU got top American honors.
*MB: Henry Lelei false started
LRC Day 3 Photos
- AP Day 3 Recap
- Register-Guard : Resilient Aggies In position For Men's Title Run Arkansas' Coach Chris Bucknam: "Right now, who can predict, but it looks like A&M's in the driver's seat, and Florida is between Oregon and Arkansas in the third and fourth spot."
- Olympic Bronze Medalist Derek Drouin Wins Battle With Silver Medalist Erik Kynard To Take HJ Title In 7-8 Our interview with Drouin is here. Drouin had the crowd do the "slow clap" on his final jump, an attempt at the NCAA record of 7-10, which he missed. He said he had ever asked the crowd to cheer him on, but "it was my last jump as a collegian, so what the heck."
- USC's Bryshon Nellum Wins 400 In 44.73 Our interview with him is here.
- TCU's Charles Silmon Wins 100 In 9.89 To FSU's Dentarius Lock (9.91) And Mississippi Isiah Young (9.96) Short video with Silmon here.
- UCLA's Aussie Julian Wruck Wins Discus Throw; Texas' Ryan Crouser Back In 8th
*Video Interview With Crouser
- Video Interview With Vin Lananna On NCAAs And State Of The Sport
Day 2 Coverage
LRC 2013 NCAA Men's 10,000: Lawi Lalang Halfway Home To The Double The Arizona junior made it look easy
took home the 10,000 crown on day 2 of NCAAs. Full of confidence afterwards, he told us he's not worried about anyone in the 5,000 even though there are two other sub-13:20 guys.
LRC 2013 NCAA 1,500-Meter Semifinal Recaps: Undefeated Pat Casey Squeaks Into Final In the women's action Oklahoma State's and Natalja Piliusina emerged as the favorite.
*MB: Pat Casey - Say It Ain't So....
- AP Day 2 Recap
*USTFCCCA Day 2 Notes
- USC's Bryshon Nellum Posts Fastest 200 In Semis With Wind-Aided 19.99 Our interview with Nellum is here. Nellum gives some encouragement to Oregon's Mike Berry, who didn't make the 400 final, pointing out that last year he [Nellum] didn't even make the NCAA final and then made the Olympic team and won a silver medal on the 4 x 400.
- LSU's Damar Forbes Jumps Longest Jump In The US This Year With 27-4 3/4 To Win Title
- UO's Mike Berry Bounces Back From 400 Disappointment To Anchor His 4 X 400 Team To Advance To Saturday's Final Article also talks about an interesting thing we've seen in the field events, where a green laser is used to mark the leading jump/throw for the fans watching (they turn if off when the athletes are competing). Pretty cool.
- Interview With UO Coach Robert Johnson After Day 2
- Decathlon: Texas' Johannes Hock Wins Title, Oregon's Dakota Keys Only 11th
- Men's 110 Hurdles Semifinal: UO's Cabral, Spencer Adams Of Clemson, Wayne Davis II Of Texas A&M Set Up Showdown
2013 Pre Classic *Friday Full Results *Saturday Full Results *Individual Event Results *LRC Post-Race Video Interviews
Friday Night: Women's 800: LRC Phoebe Wright Gets The Win, Ajee Wilson's Winning Streak Comes To An End And Gabrielle Anderson PRs Wright ran 2:00.85 as Wilson was 3rd (2:01.24).
Friday Night: RRW/LRC Rabbits Falter, Kenenisa Bekele Outkicks Merga For 27:12 Win The 13:18 first 5k never materialized. In the end, Bekele was better than everyone else over the last 200 but he's got some work to do to scare Mo Farah.
Men's International Mile: LRC James Magut Wins, No HS Sub-4 As Will Leer Gets Top American Honors, As Andrew Wheating Runs "Scared" It was a little windy and the times disappointed, but the post-race interviews with Leer, Wheating and Montoya certainly didn't as they were full of insight.
Men's National 1,500: LRC Men's National 1,500: Garrett Heath Wins, Chris Solinsky's Lacking Speed And Alan Webb Struggles But Is Happy Garrett Heath got the win, but our focus in what was basically the "C" heat was firmly on the two Olympians and American record holders (one former, one current) in Webb and Solinsky. Neither ran fast. Webb was next-to-last in 3:45, but even more stunning than that time was the fact that the famously impatient Webb, who is on his fourth coach in four years, was very upbeat afterwards. *Alan Webb Interview
Lance Armstrong In The News
- Interesting: USA Today Prints Ongoing Text Conversation Between Lance Armstrong And Betsy Andreu That Show Armstrong Avoiding Meeting Up To Apologize
- Nike Cuts Ties With LiveStrong Foundation
2 Reviews & 1 Book Excerpt From John McDonnell: The Most Successful NCAA Coach In History
LRC Book Review By Former Hog Marlon Boykins: "Two Thumbs Up:"
book is full of insight into the hard-working, team-first ethos that
made us such a successful." We had two people review the book, including the 1:47 man Boykins, who was at Arkansas at the pinnacle of its heyday. "It was a self-contained UBER-COMPETITIVE atmosphere ... the sprinters, jumpers and distance guys all trying to show which group reigned supreme ..."
Book Excerpt The Legendary Story Of The 1989 Penn Relays DMR, Where 4 Kids From Arkansas, Texas And Missouri Beat 4 African Olympians And The Olympic 1,500m Champ The 1989 Mount St. Mary's Penn Relays DMR team featured 4 African Olympians, including 1988 Olympic 1,500m champ Peter Rono. John McDonnell's Arkansas squad featured 4 kids from Texas, Missouri and Arkansas. A legendary motivational speech by McDonnell and Joe Falcon on the anchor made for one of the great upsets in Penn Relays history. Read all about it in this excerpt from the new John McDonnell biography.
LRC Review #2 John McDonnell D2 Coach Torrey Olson We had Olson, who has an MFA in creative writing, give his take. "It's got a lot to offer anyone interested in an incredibly sustained passion for the both the sport and the profession."
2013 USA Outdoor Champs Start Thursday - Men - *LRC Fan Polls - Pick Now *Schedule *TV/Internet Stream Info *Start Lists/Results
- LRC Men's 1,500: Centrowitz, Lomong, Manzano And Wheating - At Least One Of Them Is Going Home Very Unhappy What an interesting race. If things go according to form, one stud is left home. If Will Leer or Russell Brown have that day they have dreamed of, then two are left home.
*RW: Is Something Wrong With U.S. Milers? A Year After The US Gets It's First 1500 Olympic Medal In Years, No One Has The "A" Standard Quotes from Centrowitz and Russell Brown; neither of whom are worried about the "A". They know who whoever finishes top 3 will get it in Europe.
*Russell Brown Moving From Eugene To NYC For Love
*MB: 2013 USA Men's 1500: Who goes home devastated? Centrowitz, Lomong, Manzano or Wheating
LRC Men's Steeple: Evan Jager Will Win, But Who Gets Second And Third? Our only question about Jager is, "Does he break 8:00.00 this year?" We think we know who is getting second and third as the #3 seed has 6.5 seconds on #4.
- LRC Men's 800: What A Field! Even Olympic Finalists Nick Symmonds And Duane Solomon Have Reason To Be A Tiny Bit Nervous The men's 800 is full of talent. Is there another event at USATF that has 13 contenders for the Moscow spots? We'll tell you who the favorite is and break down the chances of wild card Robby Andrews.
- LRC Men's 10k Preview: Rupp, Derrick, Ritz Or True - Who Doesn't Go To Worlds? For the first time
(Galen Rupp, Chris Derrick, Ben True and Dathan Ritzenhein) will be running the USATF 10,000m all having run under 13:15 for 5,000m earlier in the year. Only three of them can go to Worlds. Who will be the odd man out?
*RRW: Aaron Braun To Take On Unusual 10-K Double - First USA 10k On Thursday, Then B.A.A. 10k On Sunday
*Profile For This Weekend's US Half Marathon Champs Abdi is racing for the $ as making the 10,000 team isn't realistic for him.
*Rupp Like To Kick Soccer Ball Around Before Practice *Pic
Men's 100: Olympian Ryan Bailey Scratches With a Hamstring Strain
- More: Sophomore Two Time NCAA Champion Ashley Spencer Resisting Calls To Turn Pro Early She is largely following the advice of Illinois coach Tonja Buford-Bailey who has said, "People who know the sport know that this is
just wrong, what's happening with kids leaving school early."
- List Of 2013 Collegians Competing At US Champs
- 4th, 4th, 5th Last 3 Years, Tyler Mulder Is Tired Of Being Left Off USA Teams - Wants To Win In Des Moines "I'm not thinking about anything but winning," Mulder said. "Winning is my No. 1 goal. That has to be the only thing to shoot for. From there, it's making the world team. This is my coming out year. It's time for me to step up."
- Garrett Heath Hoping Doing Several Months Of Altitude Training In Colorado Springs Will Help Him Make The US World Champs Team In The 1,500
- Justin Gatlin Wants To Prove Beating Usain Bolt Wasn't A Fluke: "To me, beating Bolt was just another check list. All right, I beat him. I have to do it again and again." Tyson Gay said, "A good boost (for Gatlin), but at the same time, everybody knows the world record holder wasn't ready and that he's waiting to perform on the big stage. Until you dominate on the big stage, it really doesn't matter."
- Men's Jumps Preview
- Des Moines Register Article Sizing Up The Battle Between Des Moines And Eugene For Hosting The 2020 Olympic Trials Des Moines supposedly needs to make a good impression this week if they want a chance. We 100% disagree. If the Trials go to Des Moines, they'll sell out regardless of this weekend's attendance.
- Ken Goe: "How serious is Des Moines about hosting the 2020 Olympic Trials? We'll get an idea this week." "Lots of empty seats in Drake Stadium [this week] won't help make the case for Des Moines."
- Former US Olympian Mac Wilkins Hoping To Get Some Of The Throwers He Coaches On The US World Team
800 Stars Making News
- David Rudisha's Knee Injury Happened While Jogging In Central Park - Surgery Not Needed
- Semenya's Agent: "She is recovering very well and practice is going well." Apparently Semenya had poorly done knee surgery at age 12 that is bothering her.
- South African Track President Says Caster Semenya Will Be Ready For World Champs
- And HJ: Anna Chicherova Credits Her Baby To Leading Her To 2011 And 2012 HJ Gold
- GB's Lisa Dobriskey Gets World Champs "A" In Poland With 4:04.81
- EA Talks To Great Britain Captain Shakes-Drayton Ahead Of This Weekend's Euro Team Championships Apparently there is a tradition where the winning team's captain is thrown into the steeple pit after the meet.
- Ireland's Euro XC Champ Fonnuala Britton Pulls Out Of Euro Team Champs With Chest Infection
- IAAF Profile On 16-Year-Old Brit Morgan Lake, Who Set A Girls Youth World Lead In The Heptathlon With 5725 Points At English Jr. Champs Her goal is to win the World Youth Champs this summer in the Ukraine.
- Marlou van Rhijn Becomes Fastest Female Leg Amputee In The 100 With 12.96 In Berlin She was already the WR hodler for double leg amputees, but now she's faster than all single leg amputees as well.
- Top Frenchmen Renaud Lavillenie, Christophe Lemaitre And Teddy Tamgho Highlight Fields For Monaco DL Meet July 19th
Pro Updates: Coburn Out Of USAs
- Emma Coburn Out Of USAs With Back Injury She confirmed this on Twitter here.
- Alan Webb Runs 3:42.88 At American Milers Club Series The race was won by Rob Finnerty in 3:38.34 over Great Britain's Lee Emanual in 3:38.61. Other meet highlights included Greta Feldman beating US Olympian Geena Gall in the 800 and Australian steeplechaser Genevieve LaCaze setting a 1,500 PR to win in 4:10.29.
*OTB: ALAN WEBB 3:42.88 WEBB IS BACK BABY *Alan Webb is running TONIGHT?!? *Webby's 3:42 Video (Viewer discretion advised)
- Brenda Martinez Runs 15:30 5,000 PR At Low-Key Meet In LA This was about a five-second PR for her.
- Tyson Gay Says He Wants To Triple Medal At The Moscow World Championships This Summer As He Did In 2007 With 3 Golds In 100, 200 & 4 X 100 He's says that he's been training so hard he let his hair and beard grow out, but he'll probably cut it for US Champs.
Weekend International Results
- Yuki Kawauchi Wins Okinoshima Ultra And Rushed To Hospital After He Collapses At The Finish Line He defended his title in 2:57:28 for the 50k at the Father's Day race held in his late father's hometown.
- Ben St. Lawrence Wins Launceston 10k In Australia With 29:08
- French TJer Teddy Tamgho Continues On The Comeback Trail As He Jumps 17.30m To Win French Meet Renaud Lavillenie won the PV in a disappointing 5.60m.
- Julia Machtig Sets World Leading Heptathlon Score To Win IAAF Combined Events Challenge In Ratigen With 6430 Points Pascal Behrenbruch won the decathlon with 8514 points.
Irish Independent: Wheels Coming Off McQuaid's UCI Presidential Bid He has failed to secure Cycling Ireland's nomination to run for a third term as president so now he is relying on a Swiss nomination which may or may not be permissible.
- Ken Goe: "Why Former USA Track & Field CEO Doug Logan Is Completely Wrong" In Saying We Should Give Up The Fight Against Doping Goe pretty much says it all when he says, "I think Logan has gone completely off the rails ... Logan's argument is bankrupt, logically, morally and ethically."
- Ian Dobson Now Coaching/Leading Community Based Running Group Called Team Run Eugene The group has a recreational running side as well as elite which includes former Oregon past All-American Diego Mercado and Craig Leon (10th at Boston this year).
- 2:16 Marathoner Pollock And Doctor Paul Pollock Selected For Ireland World Championships Team; Hopes To Eventually Become The Second Irishman To Go Sub-2:10 "You wake up early. Get your 10-mile run done. Then maybe do a 13-hour shift and then run home to get another five miles in."
- After Scrambling Back From Injury Last Year Just To Make The Olympics, UK's Defending World 1,500 Silver Medalist Hannah England Is Happy To Be Healthy & Fit In 2013 She shares that she's 26, but only recently got her driver's license after the Games last year.
- Adam Gemili Wins 100 On Day 1 Of England U20/U23 Championships With A Wind-Aided 10.09 Jodie Williams won the girls 100 in 11.23 (wind-aided).
- Protests In Istanbul Bad News For Their 2020 Olympic Bid IOC member Dick Pound said, "It is potentially a pity, since my impression, from what I hear, is that the 2020 race may be Istanbul's to lose."
- EA Start Looking Ahead To Next Weekend's European Athletics Team Championships
US Pro News *Entries Posted For Next Week's US Champs
- Good Read: Running Times: A Medal In Moscow And Sub-8:00 Are Goals For Evan Jager In 2013 Talking about when Jager quietly began training for the steeple in October, 2011, his father Joel said, "They were pretty secretive about it. I wouldn't say we were sworn to secrecy, but they didn't want it on Letsrun.com."
- Amy Hastings Runs 15:09 5k In Mixed Race (With Men) At New Balance Boston Twilight Meet That's a PR for Hastings as her previous best was 15:14. Molly Huddle seemed to be running a tune-up 3k as she went through in 3k in 8:57 and dropped out.
- Recommended Read: Running Times Article On Donn Cabral's Methodical And Scientific Approach To Running And His Transition To Living In Washington & Being Coached By His HS Coach Peter Oviatt Cabral's year has not been good (8:34 steeple at Oxy) as he's in a slump and debating whether or not he wants to compete in the US Championships next week.
- Ato Boldon Predicts A Big Year For Tyson Gay "Despite his age ... I feel like it's going to be one of Tyson Gay's best years. Right now I have him on the podium at the (World Championships)."
More Post NCAA News
- Ken Goe: "Don't go to sleep on two-time NCAA champ Elijah Greer at the USA Championships" Greer won't have an easy time making the US team as the field includes Nick Symmonds, Duane Solomon and Andrew Wheating, as well as Tyler Mulder, who just ran 1:44.79 in Portland.
- Fox Sports: Bryshon Nellum On Bryshon Nellum: Part 2 "Of course, when you hear somebody got shot, you think they're up to no good or you think they're a troublemaker or whatever. Innocent people get shot just being at the wrong place at the wrong time."
- IAAF Profile On 100H NCAA Champ Brianna Rollins, Who Says She's Not Scared About Racing Against The Pros At US Champs "I'm not intimidated at all. I don't think about my competitors."
*Rollins Goes Pro A Year Early; Signs With Stellar Athletics And Will Run For Nike
- English Gardner Signs With HSInternational Agency
- USATF Elite Athlete Spotlight On Brigetta Barrett, Who In Addition To Being A World Class HJer Is An Amazing Singer And Sang The National Anthem At NCAAs
*Video Of Her Singing In Eugene
- Boise State Hires Corey Ihmels As Head Coach Ihmels has been at Iowa State for the last 11 years. Will Olympian Lisa Uhl make the move with him?
*MB: Corey Ihmels
Drug News: Doug Logan Condones Doping?
- Former USATF CEO Doug Logan Calls For An End To The Fight Against Doping And Says "Let The Best Meds Win" "Regrettably, I now conclude we should give up this fight and bring the troops home. ... I have changed my views based on my re-examination of all the factors involved."
- Spain Passes New Anti-Doping Law Allowing For Athletes To Be Tested During The Night (11PM To 6AM) As Well As Other Improvements In Order To Clean Up Image After Operation Puerto Scandal If they really want to clean up their image, they should not destroy the blood bags from that scandal, which is evidence of athletes' doping.
- Jamaican 400 Runner Dominique Blake Gets 6-Year Ban For Second Doping Offense Blake's lawyer said that it was harsh, but since it was her 2nd offense, she's lucky she didn't get life.
- Canadian Shot Putter Dylan Armstrong To Be Upgraded To Olympic Bronze From 2008 After The 3rd Placer Belarusian Andrei Mikhnevich Got A Lifetime Ban He may be upgraded to 2010 World Indoor bronze as well since Mikhenevich was 2nd there.
- One We May Have Missed: Trayvon Bromell Became First High Schooler To Break 10-Second Barrier With A Wind-Aided 9.99 He had a substantial tailwind of +4.0 - twice the legal limit - so Jeff Demps' time of 10.01 will remain as the official record.
- After Setting A PR At Age 31 Of 4:02.85, Treniere Moser Says She'll Focus On The 1,500 At The US World Trials She's also run a 15:11 5k this season and will still keep that as a possible backup at US Champs.
- Interesting RW Interview With Grandma's Race Director Scott Keenan, Who's Retiring After 37 Years Of Organizing The Event Since Its Inaugural In 1977 The event got its name from its first sponsor, Grandmas Saloon & Deli, which invested $600 in 1977. Keenan had no idea at the time that he was essentially "giving away a lifetime title sponsorship for $600."
- Video/Transcript: Bryshon Nellum Talks About His Amazing Comeback From Gunshot Victim To NCAA Champ / Olympic Medalist He said it was hard decision on whether to go pro or come back to USC after 2012, but said, "I thought to myself ... I haven't had a fair college season. Now that I'm healthy let's go back and let's make our goal to be a national champ."
- Excerpts From USATF Teleconference With NCAA Champions Brigetta Barrett (HJ) And Brianna Rollins (100H)
- Track Focus Profile On Arkansas Decathlete Nathanael Franks, Who After Only 2.5 Years In College Has A Double Major And Is Working On A Masters He has degrees in chemistry (graduating magna cum laude) and physics and is pursuing a Masters in business administration, with a concentration on finance.
- Ultra Runner Scott Jurek Talks About How Cross-Country Skiing Made Him A Better Runner
Sprint News: 51-Year-Old Ben Johnson Anchors Celebrity 4 X 100
- Disgraced Canadian Olympian Ben Johnson Anchors 4 X 100 Team To Victory At Toronto Meet At 51 Years Old Johnson was stripped of his 100 gold medal and WR after testing positive at the 1988 Olympics.
- Q&A With Johnson, Who Says He Ran The Race For Charity And Has No Plans On Running Any More Races
- Usain Bolt And Yohan Blake Will Split Wild Cards For World Champs With Bolt In The 200 And Blake In The 100 Jamaica had to choose between athletes since each country can only have one wild card per event. The defending World Champ as well as DL series winner gets an automatic bid, so Blake and Bolt both had the 100 and Bolt and Nickel Ashmeade both had the 200.
- Long Jump WR Holder Mike Powell Teaches Youth Class In Moscow He said that he thinks he can coach Bolt to jump 9 meters in the LJ, but he joked that Bolt might get injured as "he'd probably jump over the pit."
- Sally Pearson Will Compete At June 27th Ostrava Golden Spike Meet, Coming Back From Her Second Hamstring Injury Of The Year She and her coach say things are coming along nicely, but they did take notice of Brianna Rollins' 12.39 at the NCAAs last week.
The 2013 NCAA Championships - Women's Coverage *Live Results *Heat Sheets *LRC Post-Race Interviews *LRC Day 4 Photos *LRC Day 3 Photos *LRC Day 2 Photos *LRC Day 1 Photos *LRC $20,013 Prediction Contest Scores
LRC Women's 1,500: Oklahoma State's Natalja Piliusina Weaves Her Way From Seventh To First In The Final
To Win Florida's Cory McGee ended up a well-deserved second in 4:13.94.
LRC Women's 3,000m Steeplechase: Emma Coburn Wins Her Second NCAA Steeple Title As Colleen Quigley Gets The "A" Coburn got the win here, but wasn't nearly as dominant as she usually is in an NCAA steeplechase, as FSU's Colleen Quigley finished only 2.85 seconds back after a fast last lap.
*Emma Coburn Signs With New Balance To Begin Her Professional Career She's decided not to hire an agent.
*2nd Coburn-NB article She'll stay in Boulder to continue to be coached by Mark Wetmore and be a volunteer assistant at CU. She said, "In all of my conversations with companies, I made it very clear that no matter what, I'm staying in Boulder. No one protested ..."
Team Competition (Kansas Wins, Oregon Denied The Triple Crown): Kansas Wins First Women's NCAA Title In School History Stanley Redwine's program has risen as the Jayhawks look to recapture the track and field glory they used to enjoy when it was a men's only program. Kansas won with 60 points to Texas A&M's 44 and Oregon's 43.
*Oregonian: Oregon Women Unravel, English Gardner shocks everyone and says she's going pro early All we can say is good luck getting a big deal from Nike. Of course, it might look bad for the Swoosh if the beloved Gardner signs with someone else.
*Oregonian: Tough finish for a UO program with higher aspirations
Jesse Squire Blogs: "Worst Announcing Ever" At 2013 NCAA Meet
Other Events: *Women's High Jump ... Brigetta Barrett Of Arizona Ends Career With Record Sixth HJ Title
*Brianna Rollins Runs 12.39 In 100H WOW is all we can say. Truly incredible.
LRC Day 4 Photos
Non NCAA Saturday/Sunday Action: Hengelo & Oakley NYC Mini *Full Rabat Results *Mini Results
- Frenchman Christophe Lemaitre Stuns Justin Gatlin To Win 100m In Rabat, Morocco Winning 9.98 To 10.02; Kim Collins Was 3rd
*MB: Gatlin goes down! Could a white man win the 100m at Moscow 2013?!?!?
*Full Results: Mohammed Aman Wins 800 In 1:44.37 Over Duane Solomon (1:44.91) Olympic bronze medalist Thomas Longosiwa won the 5k in 13:03 and Ethiopia's Hiwott Ayalew beat Lydia Chepkurui in a close steeplechase 9:18.72 to 9:18.77. Also Hellen Obiri won the 1,500 (4:03.55) and Russian bronze medalist Ekaterina Poistogova won the 800 in 1:59.80.
- Yohan Blake Returns From Injury With A 200m Win In Kingston In 20.72; Says He Feels "Rusty"
- Leonard Korir Wins The Garden Of The Gods Ten Mile Run In 50:48 On Tough Course Belainesh Gebre won the women's race in a CR with 58:45.
- Hengelo Results: In addition to Bekele dropping out, Silas Kiplagat continued his winning ways, young French 800m runner Pierre-Ambroise Bosse got a nice win and Abeba Aregawi dropped down to the 800.
*MB: Kenenisa Bekele Drops Out Of Hengelo 5k The winning time was 13:04 but it proved to be too hot for Bekele.
- NY Mini: Mamitu Daska Cruises To Victory At 42nd Oakley New York Mini 10-K, Desiree Davila Returns To Racing Daska had no trouble defeating Linet Masai. Mattie Suver was top American ahead of Stephanie Rothstein Bruce and Desiree Davila in her first race in nearly a year. *Results
Day 3 Coverage
LRC Women's 5,000: Abbey D'Agostino Repeats And Denies Jordan Hasay The Storybook Ending
somewhat surprisingly had the lead on the last lap and the Oregon crowd was going nuts until Abbey D battled back and won going away.
*MB: Abbey D wins Betsy 2nd, Jordan 3rd.
*MB: Abbey challenged by hasay, blows her away
LRC Women's 800: Natoya Goule Completes Undefeated Season and Pulls Five Others To Lifetime PRs Goule became the 4th-fastest collegian in history and just missed the coveted 2:00 barrier as Oregon's Laura Roesler had to settlle for runner-up honors.
- AP Day 3 Recap
- Register-Guard: It's A Magic Moment For English Gardner In The 100 As Her 10.96 Victory Leads Oregon's 32 Points On Friday To Make It A Title Race Our interview with Gardner is here.
- UO Coach Robert Johnson: "It's not over yet. I think we still have some battles to fight. But anytime you have that big of a deficit, you really have to get going. We have to find those points somewhere."
- Stanford's Kori Carter Wins 400H In A Collegiate Record Of 53.21 Seconds Last year she was dead last. Now she'll have a good shot at making the US Moscow team, but says she's being the "worst maids of honor of all-time" because US Champs are the same week as her sister's wedding.
- South Dakota's Bethany Buell Wins Pole Vault In 14-7 1/4, Tying The NCAA Meet Record
- Ashley Spencer Of Illinois Upsets Shaunae Miller Of Georgia To Win Women's 400 In 50.28
- Kansas' Lindsay Vollmer Upsets Arkasnas' Pre-Meet Favorite Makeba Alcide For Heptathlon Win
- San Diego's Shanieka Thomas Leaps 46-4 3/4 To Win TJ
LRC Betsy Saina Comes Through As Favorite And Wins 10k; Emma Bates Third Saina delivered as the favorite as she ran away from Aliphine Tuliamuk-Bolton on the last lap. Top American honors went to Boise State sophomore Emma Bates.
2013 Rome Golden Gala *Full Results *Event-By-Event Results *MB: Official 2013 Rome Golden Gala Diamond League Thread LRC *Rome Photo Gallery
*Results LRC Rome Photo Gallery
LRC Women's 1,500: Abeba Aregawi Dominates As Jenny Simpson Runs Race Of Her Life* To Finish Third American Jenny Simpson is in the form of her life and we have the stats to prove it - way better than when she was world champ. The problem is Sweden's Abeba Aregawi is on another planet right now.
On The Boards: LR, Stop the hyperbole! Race of her life? Jenny Simpson won WC gold!
LRC Men's 100: Justin Gatlin Stuns Usain Bolt In Rome If Bolt losing isn't rare enough, how about this - Bolt got off to a self-described "perfect start" and still lost to Gatlin.
*MB: Gatlin 9.94 over Bolt in Rome
*Lauren Fleshman Tweets: "Wish I could get excited about an American off a drug suspension beating a world record holder, but nope. #RomeDL."
*After Loss, Bolt Puts Loss In Perspective & Says He'll Be Back Guardian Good news is Bolt says his hamstring is fine. Up next is a 200m in Oslo next week.
LRC Men's 5,000: Yenew Alamirew Stuns Hagos Gebrhiwet Hagos Gebrhiwet ran 12:55 but he was no match for the 23-year-old Alamirew, who closed in 54 to get the win after only finishing third at Pre. Meanwhile, Pre winner Edwin Soi was just 5th.
*MB: ALAMIREW OVER GEBRIWHET!!! 12:54 with 54 last lap!!
LRC Rest Of Meet: Aman Wins 8 Over New French Star, Allyson Felix Gets Beaten Badly, Fall In Steeple, Jump-Off In High Jump, And Almost A Home Win In Triple Lots of drama before a nice crowd in Rome. A 21-year-old Frenchman emerged in the 800, Allyson Felix ran her worst 200 since 2005 and much more.
*USATF List Of US Performances
*Milcah Chemos Gets Win In Steeple, Other Kenyans Fair Poorly In Rome Daily Nation
2013 Pre Classic *Friday Full Results *Saturday Full Results *Individual Event Results *LRC Post-Race Video Interviews
LRC Women's 800: Mary Cain Breaks 2:00 As Francine Niyonsaba Dominates Niysonaba was fantastic and got a new meet record. Also running amazingliy was American Brenda Martinez, but both were overshadowed by the 17-year-old Cain.
*Oregonian: Mary Cain shatters 31-year-old national high school record
*Mary Cain Yahoo Photos
LRC Men's 5,000: Mo Farah Is Beaten By Edwin Soi As Galen Rupp Finishes Sixth Dathan Ritzenhein ran the 2nd-fastest time of his career and Chris Derrick almost took top American-born honors but Galen Rupp's pride enabled him to mow them down in the last 100m.
*Oregonian: Edwin Cheruiyot Soi hands Mo Farah his first loss in an outdoor final in almost two years at the Pre Classic
*Eugene Register-Guard: Soi's saucy kick shoves Farah, Rupp aside *Register Guard Photo
LRC Bowerman Mile: Silas Kiplagat Steals The Race From Asbel Kiprop At The Line As 10 Guys Run 3:51 Or Faster Matthew Centrowitz and Lopez Lomong both ran 3:51 but wanted more as it's never fun to finish 9th and 10th.
LRC Men's Steeple: Conseslus Kipruto Survives Ezekiel Kemboi's Shove; Evan Jager 8:08 The men's steeple had everybody, including a mouth-watering dual between the future (Kipruto) and present rulers (Kemboi), that more than lived up to the hype. Evan Jager was right there until the last 250.
LRC Women's 5,000: Tirunesh Dibaba Survives A Scare From Mercy Cherono Dibaba won but boy did she have to work for it on the thrilling last lap. Kim Conley PRed to grab top American honors.
LRC Women's 1,500: Hellen Obiri Wins In 3:58 As Treniere Moser And Sheila Reid Run 4:02 Alberto Salazar's magic continued as the 31-year-old Moser crushed her 2006 PR.
LRC Men's 800: Mohammed Aman Dominates As Nick Symmonds Debuts In Third An encouraging race for both Aman and Symmonds, who are dreaming of gold in Moscow.
US Half Champs Are This Weekend: Kara Goucher Will Be In Duluth To Watch US Half Champs/Grandma's Marathon She says if she makes the team for Moscow, she'll race the NYC Marathon in the fall, but if not she'll do Chicago. Desiree Davila is racing US Half Champs and Mohamed Trafeh is in the men's race against Abdi and Meb.
US Junior Champs Started Yesterday
- US Junior Champs Has Started: Day 1 Recap: 2011 Heptathlon World Youth Bronze Winner Kendell Williams & Reigning Junio Olympic Decathlon Champ Scott Filip Lead
- DyeStat Highlights
- DyeStat Women's Junior Preview
- DyeStat Men's Junior Preview
News From Jamaica
- IAAF Issues Statement About VCB - People Need To Have Perspective, This Is A MINOR Offense Just what we told you. No one went crazy when Maggie Vessey tested positive for a diuretic and got off with a warning. Same for VCB. IAAG urges :a sense of perspective ... This seems from evidence to be a MINOR doping offence."
- VCB Provisionally Suspended As JAA Looks Into her Diuretic Positive - Her Management Team Says She's Not A Cheat
- VCB Apologizes "While not accepting guilt of willfully taking a banned substance."
- Yohan Blake Pulls Out Of Jamaican Trials - Not Fit Enough / Healthy Enough To Run 200 He's got a bye to Moscow in the 100m.
More Drugs News:
- NY Times Guest Writer: IAAF Had Evidence Italian Gold Medal-Winning Race Walker Was On Drugs, Did Nothing To Prevent Him From Competing Not sure what they are saying as WADA busted this guy before the Games. Bad journalism?
- IAAF Denial: "The IAAF categorically refutes these claims in the strongest possible terms."