Officially 100% Crazy Sammy Wanjiru's Mom Allegedly Stabbed His Wife's Driver Over The Weekend She did spend the night in jail but wasn't arraigned on Monday as expected.
NCAAs Start Wednesday *Men Start Lists *Women Start Lists *Schedule *Live Online or on TV *TV Fri: CBS College Sports 7:30 - 9:30 EST Fri./TV Sat: 1 - 3 pm Regular CBS (When it's Not On TV, Then It Will Be Streamed Live Online)
- Florida State's Star Sprinter Maurice Mitchell Hoping For Elusive NCAA TitleHe almost won the 60m title last year but isn't even the fastest guy on his team at 100m.
- We 100% Disagree: Des Moines Paper Says Sub 10.0 100 Creates Little Fanfare As Say Compared To 4:00 Mile Not for people who know what they are talking about. A sub-10 or sub 20.0 is way bigger of a deal.
Spiders Matt Llano & Andrew Benford Are Pumped To Be At NCAAs as 5th Year Seniors
The Newest HS Star - Edward Cheserek Profile - Kenyan Is Thriving In US "I feel comfortable when I'm here and life is safe."
Jamaican Junior Champs Are This Weekend Carifta Games champ Jahzeel Murphy (10.27 for 100) won't be running as he's hurt but he should be ready for World Youth.
Was Wanjiru Murdered? Case Still A Mystery
*Doctor Says That Sammy Wanjiru Did Not Die From Balcony Fall But From A "Fatal Hit To The Back Of The Head" "Medical experts have zeroed in on two possible scenarios that could have led to the death of Olympics champion Samuel Wanjiru three weeks ago - and they both point to murder." That's one doctor's opinion but this thing is far from settled.
*In Pictures: Life Of Sammy Wanjiru Sammy looks so young wearing his Olympic gold. We guess that makes sense since he won at age
If You Want To Get Into Barefoot Running Or Are Constantly Injured, Read This
The Barefoot Running Debate: Born To Run, Shoes & Injury: The Latest Thinking The Science Of The Sport guys look at everything you'd ever want to know about barefoot running: the arguments for and against, why your shoes might increase chances for injury, who should/how to make the transition to barefoot, and more.
2011 Pre Classic *Results *Friday Photos *Saturday Photos *Post-Race LRC Interviews *LRC Recaps: *Saturday *Friday 30k WR *Friday 10k/5k
LRC Prefontaine Saturday Distance Scoop: Lagat, Kaki And Sinclair Impress, Lukas Verzbicas Gets High School Record The distance races at Prefontaine were stellar as always. Bernard Lagat
won the men's 2 mile with his patented kick, Lukas Verzbicas smashed the high school 2 mile record, 5 guys went sub-3:50 in the
mile, Kenia Sinclair
a world leader to win the 800m over Caster Semenya, and Abubaker Kaki ran
the first 1:43 in the history of Hayward Field. Plus, the Oregon 800m crew disappointed, and more. We have analysis, video, post-race reaction and results.
Saturday Recap From Eugene Register-Guard Eugene is not known for its sprinting, but the top marks were in the men's and women's 100m. The results made us scratch our heads (13 of the 16 ran seasonal bests, which we attributed to the legal tailwinds) and apparently even Usain Bolt, who tweeted "Listen to me ppl that's the same track last US trial was kept and everybody ran fast and them they couldn't repeat."
- Oregonian: With All The Jobs Vin Lananna Juggles, He Still Finds Time To Coach He is Oregon's associate athletic director, UO director of track and field/head coach, head coach of the U.S. men's team for the 2011 WC's, co-chair of the local organizing committee for the Olympic Trials, and coaches Russell Brown and Andrew Wheating.
- Andrew Wheating's, Nick Symmonds' Kicks Never Come In Pre 800
- Reese Hoffa Wins Pre Shot Put With Bloody/Injured Foot "Sometimes you have to embrace the pain and just throw through it."
- Steve Mullings Credits Advice From Tyson Gay For His Recent Success
- South African World Long Jump Silver Medallist Khotso Mokoena Is Tired Of Being 2nd Best
- Sprinters Blaze Way To Meet Records At Pre Classic
- Nadzeya Ostaphuck Sets Wins Pre Shot Put With World Leading 20.59m
- Lukas Verzbicas Breaks High School National 2 Mile Record 8:29.46.
- RRW Recap Of Mid-D Races: Lagat Wins 2 Mile, Nick Symmonds & Andrew Wheating Disappointed In 800, Russell Brown PRs Big In Mile Haron Keitany won the mile in 3:49.09 over Silas Kiplagat in 2nd (3:49.39) and Asbel Kiprop in 3rd (3:49.55). Russell Brown ran a huge PR, finishing 9th in 3:51.45, just ahead of Nick Willis (3:51.95).
- IAAF Recap Of Pre Classic: Jeter Wins 100 in 10.70, Oliver Wins 110 Hurdles In World-Leading 12.94 Russia's Ivan Ukhov was supposed to defend his unbeaten streak, but finished 6th place with a jump nowhere near his best. We're not sure if there was an injury or any other factors involved.
- Caster Semenya Not Dissapointed With Her 2nd-Place Finish As She Was Happy With The Time On the other hand, Allyson Felix wasn't happy with her 3rd-place finish, and neither was Oscar "Blade Runner" Pistorius, who failed to hit the WC's "A" standard of 45.5, running 46.33 for last place.
- David Oliver Avenged His Defeat By Liu Xiang, Winning Pre 110 Hurdles
- Steve Mullings Clocks 9.80 To Win 100 At Pre Classic; .01 Slower Than Tyson Gay's WL
- Returning Cheat Justin Gatlin Finishes 6th At Pre, But Breaks 10-Second Barrier
- Ashton Eaton Gets A PR By .2 Seconds In 110 Hurdles, Running 13.35 *Eaton Says Lining Up Next To David Oliver And Liu Xiang Is "Like taking Jennifer Lopez to the prom."
Friday Night At Pre
LRC Moses Mosop Smashes 30k World Record And He And Renato Canova Say He Can Run 2:02 For The Marathon Moses Mosop put on an exhibition to smash the
at the Prefontaine 30,000m. Not only did
a 63-second lap on his 45th lap of the race, but he aferwards talked of a 2:02 marathon in Chicago and his coach Renato Canova said a 2:02 is possible next year.
LRC Pre 5,000m And 10,000m: Rupp Doesn't Start, Solinsky Stops, Mo Farah Shocks, Vivian Cheruiyot Wins Again The men's 10,000m was the most shocking race of the night. The much-hyped American showdown between Chris Solinsky and Galen Rupp did not take place, as Galen Rupp did not toe the line despite warming up. Chris Solinsky then dropped out before two miles and before it was all done, Mo Farah, who had had been near last place early on, pulled a huge upset and defeated the strongest 10,000m field since the World Champs. Interesting post-race comments from Solinsky, Alberto, and Mo. In the women's 5,000m, Vivian Cheruiyot showed she's the top female track distance runner on the planet.Chris Solinsky, Mo Farah, Shalane Flanagan And Alberto Salazar Reaction At 2011 Pre Classic Distance Night In Eugene
- UK Coach Charles van Commenee Optimistic About Mo Farah's World/Olympic Medal Chances After Pre 10k
- Telegraph Article On Mo Farah And His UK 10k Record
- Mo Farah: "What I run, (Rupp) would have run."
- Bernard Lagat Intrigued By What 25k-30k WR Attempts Say About Limits Of Human Potential
- Bernard Lagat Talks About Racing In Eugene And His Thoughts Leading Up To The Pre Classic 2 Mile He says that even with the stellar field, he doesn't think anyone will come close to the WR, as it's a morning race and just a really impressive time to hit.
It's Time We Revisit The Yuppie Vs. Blue Collar Runner Debate - Blue Collar People Rejoice, You Have A New Leader
LRC 34-Year-Old "Regular Guy," Working Dad Khadevis Robinson Talks To LetsRun.com About Beating The World's Best In Rome KD has always been one of the best interviews in the sport, and now we feature him when he's on top of the world after his shock win in Rome. Robinson, who went to Rome in part last week as he wasn't sure he could even get a lane at the upcoming two US Golden League meets, has almost always worked in addition to running.
- A Brief Chat With NCAA D2 10k Champ Sarah Porter, Who Has Run Up To 135 Miles In A Week And Definitely Gets The Unofficial LetsRun.com Stamp As "Blue Collar" The NCAA in its brilliance almost kept Porter out of the NCAA champs because she donated money she won at a road race to a charity of her choice and not the race's. Porter is someone blue collar runners can appreciate, as she's run up to 135 miles in a week.
- Blue Collar 100% (But With Yuppie Gadgets & Resources) Before Figuring Out She Was Injured, Paula Radcliffe Was Worried She Might Not Have It Anymore The article also reveals Radcliffe may run the Berlin marathon.
News From Oregon
- Oregonian: Women's NCAA Meet Is Too Close To Call, With A&M, Oregon And LSU All Very Close
- Drug Cheat Justin Gatlin To Compete At Pre Classic Can someone tell us why Dwain Chambers - a man who admitted to doping and cooperated with the authorities - is still blackballed while Gatlin is welcomed with open arms?
- Update On "Vinny Strikes Again"
Portland's Alfred Kipchumba Was Tripped In Men's 10k And Not Advanced To Next Round, But Oregon's Boru Guyota Was Advanced Despite Not Being Knocked Over & Portland Coach Rob Conner Is Fine With The Ruling The NCAA apparently differentiates between locations and not rounds at NCAAs, as they are concerned with cost. The same thing happened to Kendra Shaaf of UNC, but since Schaaf also made it in the 5k, we don't know why they don't also let her run the 10k.
American Stars In The News
- We Hate Blogs, But This One Is Pretty Good: Ryan Hall's Sister Overslept Her Alarm - Missed Bolder Boulder Start Hall also gives insight into his training and has high praise for Bolder Boulder, as he says running into "CU's packed football stadium was epic. I promise everyone, it is nearly as good as running into the Olympic Stadium."
- Coach Bob Kersee Says Allyson Felix Most Likely Won't Double At Worlds The decision hasn't been made yet as he also added, "I don't have problems being greedy a little bit ... It still might happen."
Olympic Ticket Update
- A Politician We Actually Like: London Mayor Misses Out On Olympic Tickets Most politicians would demand VIP freebies.
- Triple Olympic Cycling Champion Doesn't Get Tickets Either - Says Kids Will Have To Watch Him On TV
- Seb Coe - Everything Is Working As Planned With Tix
Get Off The Computer And Go For A Run - June 1st Was National Running Day
LRC The Week That Was Last week, Usain Bolt shocked the world by barely winning, whereas Khadevis Robinson shocked the world by winning convincingly, World XC champ Imane Merga picked up the track season right where he left the XC season, and two female stars trying to rebound from sub-par 2010s had totally different results, as Maryam Yusuf Jamal shined and Sanya Richards-Ross struggled. Paula Radcliffe returned after an 18-month hiatus and struggled as well. Along the way, the NCAA regionals were held and Vin Lananna complained about the format even though his men and AJ Acosta greatly benefited from it. Along the way, Jos Hermens may have jinxed his star pupil Yenew Alamirew, who turned 21 last week.
News From Overseas
- Paula Radcliffe Is Upbeat About Her Chances: "I know deep down if I'm healthy I can still get in (to contention)."
- Friends & Relatives Of Sammy Rejects His Mom's Pleas For Head Of Burial Team To Step Down
- Men's 200m and 10,000m, Women's 5,000m and 10,000m Highlight National Track And Field Championships - Entry Lists
- Back From EPO Ban, Texas-Based Kiwi Liza Hunter-Galvan To Race Marathon In NZ This Weekend Can someone please tell us why EPO doesn't automatically result in a lifetime ban? There is no way to accidentally take it.
- "Mentally Stronger" Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce On Backup From Doping Ban
Paula Radcliffe Returns To Action After 18 Months Away
Paula's Return Is A "Bit Of A Disaster" & Results In Tears At Finish The marathon world record holder hadn't raced in 18 months and her much-anticipated return to action went horribly wrong. A tear in one of the discs in her back resulted in her generating no power and running
a slower pace for 10k than
she'd like for a marathon (33:17). Radcliffe: "I didn’t have any power."
*IAAF Recap Of Bupa London 10,000 - Jo Pavey And Mo Farah Win *MBoard: Paula third Mo wins
*Radcliffe Rules Out World Champs And Reveals That In Addition To Back Problems She Has Been Hampered By Bronchitis, Which Flared Up Her Asthma
*Radcliffe: Back Problem Keeps Me From Training On The Track
*Recommended Listen: BBC Audio Interview Of Teary Radcliffe, Who Says She Was "Embarrassed" But Explains Her Medical Problem Radcliffe says her track sessions had been a struggle, but her road sessions had been good.
*Racers Give Olympic Course A Thumbs Up It's interesting note that this says the Olympic marathon will be run at 11 am to placate Japanese and US television audiences.
*Pavey Will Decided On World Championship Marathon In Next Few Days Did we even mention that Brit Jo Pavey won the race?
Pre-Race: Paula Radcliffe Returns To Action Monday At BUPA London 10k
2011 Bolder Boulder *Elite Results With Mile Splits
US Women Use Slow-Start Strategy To Finish Surprising 2nd As Ryan Hall Runs 30:29 Amy Hastings (34:19) led the US women with a 4th-place showing individually in a race that was dominated by Lineth Chepkurui (32:29). James Carney (30:16) was the #1 American man over Ryan Hall (30:29), as Crescent City winner Belete Assefa won in 29:22. For comparison's sake, in 2008,
Hall ran 30:07 at Bolder Boulder. MBoard: Bolder
Boulder Race Coverage
*Pre-Race: US Women Were Actually Strategizing For A Win *Ryan Hall Back At Bolder Boulder, But With More Reasonable Expectations
*Recommended Read Q&A With Bolder Boulder Founder Frank Shorter Shorter talks about his most courageous race and says he still runs an hour every day.
Lab Director Says Lance Armstrong Didn't Test Positive But Admits There
Were 4 Suspicious Tests And He Has No Idea If Those Belonged To Armstrong Or If The UCI Followed Up On Them Correctly (Although He Assumes They Did) He also admits he did meet with Armstrong to talk about EPO testing in 2002.
*Swiss Lab Director Agrees To Help Investigators
- US Hammer Thrower Fails Second Marijuana Test - Gets Banned For Year
- Bolota Asmerom Calls For Tougher Doping Rules We like his suggestions: 1) Lifetime bans 2) Forced payback of all prize money. 3) Erasure of all performances for whole career. 4) A Dopers Wall of Shame. But we have no idea why marijuana is banned.
LRC John Kellogg Explains How He "Predicted" The Unpredictable - A Sub-2:03:59 In Boston LetsRun.com's coaching guru explains the rationale behind his non-prediction that is making waves around the globe. Years of timed out-and-back and straight-shot tempos with the wind in Waco, Texas (and other windy Texas venues) proved invaluable to his understanding the effects of the wind. JK took a stab at converting the Boston performances by Mutai and Hall to London and Berlin and even reveals what would happen if the Boston Mutai raced the London Mutai.
The Sport Loses A Legend *Grete Waitz's NYC Marathon Results
Grete Waitz Loses Battle With Cancer Waitz is best known for being a 9-time New York City Marathon champion, a class act, and a pioneer in the sport, but she also was a 4:00 1,500m runner and an 8:31 3,000m
runner. As a kid, watching her on ABC win
NYC every year was one of the site founders' earliest running memories. She will be missed. Thanks to Leo Kulinski for the photo. Another one here.
*Pay Your Respects In This Thread
Virgin London Marathon *Watch Full Race On Demand *Photos
LRC Emmanuel Mutai Runs The Best 10km Ever In A Marathon To Destroy The Field & Arrive As One Of The World's Best
A lead pack that was a who's who of marathoning went through 30km together, but soon the race would be nothing but a coronation for Emmanuel Mutai, who destroyed the field with a 28:44 4th 10k and ended up with a 2:04:40 course record. Almost as big of a story as Mutai's
incredible run was the fact that the 2nd placer ended up being one of the all-time greats - Martin Lel - who shocked even himself in his first marathon since Beijing 2008. American Jason Lehmkuhle was the only elite American finisher as the three rookie American marathoners went out too fast and blew up - none worse than Mo Trafeh, who ran with the lead pack for 15 km.
LRC Women's Marathoning Has A New Star Named Mary Keitany Keitany knocked nearly 10 minutes off her personal best and knocked Liliya Shobukhova off her pedestal as the best in the world, as Keitany ran the first sub-2:20 since 2008 and made mincemeat of "undoubtedly" of the strongest women's field in London history. All together, a record 22 women broke 2:30 - but that didn't include US Olympian Magdalena Lewy-Boulet.
April Fools News
Tokyo Marathon: A Legend Is Born *Photos
Hailu Mekonnen Wins, Japanese Amateur Yuki Kawauchi Runs Amazing 2:08:37 For 3rd And Faints At Finish Yuki Kawauchi's story is amazing.
A 13:59 5ker and 29:02 10ker, he has a full-time job and has stayed away from the Japanese collegiate and professional system, yet he stunned all of Japan with a 2:08:37 run. Dreams do become reality.
*On The Boards: 13:59 5k, 29:02 10k Japanese AMATEUR Runs 2:08:37 at Tokyo Marathon and Passes Out
The 10 Best High School XC Runners Ever
LRC Week That Was: The 10 Best High School XC Runners Of All Time, Verzbicas, Tribute To Gary Reed, The NY Times & The NE Patriots And More We've got the entire running world covered from San Diego to Japan, from the high school ranks to the pros, and even talk about the NE Patriots and the NY Times.
5 Recommended Reads
- MB: Technical Analysis of 30km and 10000m in Eugene Famed coach Renato Canova breaks down the men's 25k and 30km world record set by his pupil Moses Mosop plus breaks down Mo Farah's 10,000.
- Track and Field — Going Nowhere Fast in The United States Olympic writer Alan Abrahmson thinks track and field needs some radical changes if it's ever going to be popular and think everyone should read this piece.
Spiders Matt Llano & Andrew Benford Got Mom & Dad To Pay For An
Extra Year Of College So They Could Redshirt And Dream Of NCAAs Richmond doesn't have track scholarships and the 5th-year seniors dream
has been paid off in a big was as they made NCAAs as a team and now as individuals.
- A Good Motto For Life & Running Hit A 'Bad Patch' But Keep On Going - NY Times Looks At 5-Time Olympic Trials Qualifier Gordon Bakoulis' Love For Her Husband And Running
- David McNeil Has A New Coach & Training Partner.... And He's Totally Pumped And Grateful To Be With Bernard Lagat and Coach Li McNeil talks about how he was struggling on his own as a pro and needed a team and then talks about how Bernard Lagat and Coach Li have saved his career by letting him into their group. He's now training with Lagat - a guy whose autograph he got as a 14-year old. On Lagat, "Certainly, there aren’t many people I have met in my life with this man’s credentials, but there are also very few I have met with as big a heart, and as helpful a hand as his."
More News From Last Weekend (Including Some Stuff We Missed)
- Something Few Have Mentioned - Fastest Marathoner In History & 2011 Boston Marathon Champ Geofrrey Mutai Was 5th in Kenyan 5k Over Weekend Mutai ran 13:52 in the Police champs which were won in 13:47.
- Kenyan Philemon Limo (28:01) and Ethiopian Dire Tune (33:19) Win 10k in India Micah Kogo, who ran 27:15 in April, was 14th in 29:33.
- Way Harder Than The 10,000: Some Are Hoping Mo Farah Can Add European 5,000 Record TO His Resume Now That He Has 10,000 Record 12:49? We don't think so.
- David Oliver Knew From The Start He Was On Fire In Eugene "You can run all the 12s you want to if you don’t take care of business
at the championships."
- Brazil Dominates South American Champs As Usual Giovani dos Santos won the men's 10k. Anyone know if there is a relation to Marilson? If so, email us.
San Diego And Other Weekend Results
- Meb Dominates Half, Deba Blazes 2:23:31 At Rock 'n' Roll San Diego Meb Keflezighi won in 62:40 by a huge margin over Hanson's Drew Polley (65:38). Meb took it out from the start and dropped Kenya's Martin Lel (2nd at London 7 weeks ago) with a 4:24 4th mile. Lel ended up dropping out at 10k. Bizunesh Deba set an event record and the fastest time ever run by a woman in California (beating Joan Benoit's 2:24:52). Terfa Negari won the men's marathon in 2:11:18 and Gina Slaby won the women's half in 1:16:33. *Hometown Hero Meb Keflezighi Rocks The Field In San Diego *AP Article
- TCS World 10K Recap: Ethiopia's Dire Tune Wins Over Fast Women's Field Dire Tune ran 33:19, barely winning over Merima Mohammed. Field also included world leader Doris Changeywo, last year’s runner-up Aselefech Mergia, and Edna Kiplagat (3rd at London Marathon). Kenya's Philemon Limo won the men's race.
- World Leads For Blanka Vlašić In The HJ And Viola Kibiwot In The 3k (8:46.84) At Rabat In the 100m, Asafa Powell pulled up about 30m in with a hamstring injury. His manager says he doesn't think it is serious, though, and hopefully not because Jamaica picks it's team for WC's in 18 days.
- Tyson Gay's 9.79 WL Came In The Prelims Of A Low Key Event In Florida While Bolt and Powell are running at major Diamond League meets, Gay is running faster than both of them in the prelims of low key events where he is unchallenged.
- Six National HS Records Fall Over Weekend Gunnar Nixon's 8,035 points in the decathlon, Verzbicas' 8:29.46, Amy Weissenbach 2:02.04 in the 800 (record for high school-only race - Kim Gallagher ran 2:00.07 at the National Sports Festival in 1982), Mary Kate Anselmini's 6:33.01 2k steeple, and Andrew Irwin's 17-7 indoor pole vault (outdoor record is 18-3 and we have no idea why the meet was indoors in June).
- IAAF Recap Of South America Champs Day 3: Colombia's Caterine Ibargüen Wins TJ With 14.59m
- Fast Times Expected In Women's 800 At Oslo Diamond League Thursday Field includes world leader Mariya Savinova (1:57.56), Caster Semenya coming off a 1:58.88 at Pre, UK's Jenny Meadows (1:57.93), former World champ Janeth Jepkosgei, and Russians Sevetlana Klyuka & Ekaterina Kostetskaya - both with PRs in the 1:56 range.
- NCAA Champs: For some, It's The Final Lap In Track Duke's 10k runner Bo Waggoner: "Right now, the last thing we're thinking about is the day after nationals. We can only see ahead about a week and a half."
- Northern Arizona's Diego Estrada Passes Up A Trip To World Champs And Opts For U.S. Citizenship Estrada is the only Mexican citizen with the "B" standard, but he has decided to become a US citizen instead of representing Mexico at WCs. "Even if I never have the opportunity to make the Olympic team - I think I would feel more proud about my accomplishment than just to be handed any singlet to do it. ... I don't want to shy away from the competition."
- France's Mekhissi-Benabbad Shooting For European Steeplechase Record (8:01.13) He could also be the first European under 8 minutes.
Olympics & TV
*Rupert Murdoch & Fox Want Olympics For 2016 and 2020 He thinks if you are going to spend a ton, you need some time to market it to the public and we agree.
*The Olympics Is A "High-Reward Gamble" For Television Networks Bidders have to bid so much, so far in advance, it is hard to determine how profitable it will end up being 4-5 years down the road.
*A Breakdown Of Bidders For US Olympic TV Rights NBC vs. Fox vs. ESPN.
Freihofer's & Other Results
- DASKA TAKES FREIHOFER'S RUN FOR WOMEN Ethiopia's Mamitu Daska dominated from start to finish, winning by 4 seconds in 15:19 over defending champ/CR holder Emily Chebet. It was a close race for top American, with World XC runner Alissa McKaig (15:53) finishing just ahead of local favorite Megan Hogan (15:55). *IAAF Article
- IAAF Recap: Enea Cup European Athletics Festival Phillips Idowu wins TJ with wind-aided 17.52m; competitive 800 with Poland going 1-2 in Adam Kszczot (1:44.30) and Marcin Lewandowski (1:44.61). World Champ Mbulaeni Mulaudzi faded to 5th, more than 2 seconds behind the winner.
- European Cup 10k Recap: Portugal's Youssef El Kalai And Sara Moreira Win Men's And Women's Races In 28:20 & 31:39 UK's veteran Helen Clitheroe ran well in her debut 10k with 32:11.29 for 4th place. *IAAF Recap
- Commonwealth & Africa Steeple Champ Richard Mateelong Wins Police Athletics Championships 5k
Some Other News
*Paula Radcliffe Faces "Biggest Decision Of Her Career" As She Chases Olympic Gold
*Bob Kennedy Among Those Running Holiday "Fun Run" Marathons At Van Cortlandt Park Races with no sponsors, no entry fees, funded/organized by volunteers and donations. They've held one on Thanksgiving, Christmas, Valentine's Day, Memorial Day and plan to continue with other holidays as well.
*SA'sLJ Van Zyl Making Big Strides In 400 Hurdles With SA NR, 2 Diamond League Wins, & Fastest Time In 2011
Pre Saturday On The Boards *Full Results
- New h.s. 2 mile record!!!
- Russell Brown 3:51, 3 sec. pr
- That was a joke for Lagat
- NBC saves Felix
- PRE 800m
- Meanwhile, In Florida: Tyson Gay runs 9.79 100m in Clermont
*Tyson Gay Has the World Lead, Is Usain Bolt's Reign Over?
Non-Pre Results/Upcoming Action
- Results: Bernard Kipyego Comfortably Wins Kenya Police Athletics Championship 10k
- IAAF Recap Of "Gran Premio Iberoamerican" Russia's Aleksey Dmitrik sets HJ world lead at 2.35m.
- IAAF Recap: Grand Ballon Mountain Race, Part Of World Mountain Running Association Grand Prix
Previews: IAAF Preview Of Bangalore World 10k Olympic bronze medallist Micah Kogo Kemboi and defending champ Titus Mbishei headline field.
- Preview Of Saturday's European Cup 10k Helen Clitheroe making her 10k debut ... better late than never.
A Lot Of Other Stellar Action This Weekend Outside Of Pre
San Diego: Meb (And Martin Lel) Returning To San Diego To Run This Weekend's Dodge Rock N Roll Half Marathon No one is making a big deal of it, but Meb is facing the incredible Martin Lel (2nd at London) in the half.
*Hansons-Brooks Distance Project Ready To Build On Boston Success In San Diego
Three Recommended Reads Because All Three Articles Are Very Entertaining And Are About More Than Running
1) Molly Huddle And Kim Smith To Both Race In New York The Weekend Of 2011 ING New York City Marathon Huddle will race a new 5k the day before the 2011 ING New York City marathon, whereas Smith will run the marathon (as well as an upcoming 10k, which is good news, as she's almost healed after being injured in Boston).
hoping that Huddle was going to run the marathon as well - many Americans will be skipping fall and spring marathons to get ready or recover for the Trials. Please click on this article to see who won the Tug of War Contest - Huddle or Smith.
2) As AJ Acosta's College Career Comes To An End; He And The AJ Nation Will Be Leaving Behind A Huge Legacy At Oregon This article is a fantastic recap of AJ's impact at the U of O. The writer clearly understands AJ as well as LetsRun.com, as he called AJ "perhaps the most quotable individual in any Oregon sport." That certainly has to be true. However, our favorite line of the story was this: "The denizens of the forums at LetsRun.com - the country's premier track and field website, covering professionals and amateurs alike - took to their keyboards." To read more about the AJ Nation, click here or here.
3) AP: Wallace Spearmon Wants In On Tyson Gay/Usain Bolt Rivalry At 200m Spearmon, who currently is hurt and swimming as an Achilles injury heals, wants in on the biggest rivalry in track and field. Spearmon: "When we first started off, there was Bolt, Tyson and myself. I beat them, they beat me." The article also talks about his Twitter fight with NFL star Chris Johnson, who responded to Spearmon with the classic line of: "Beat bolt then holla at me."
Important News From Kenya
- The Intrigue Gets Bigger & Bigger As Doctors Visit Wanjiru's House And Then One Says: "This is not a simple matter." Doc: "He landed on his legs and supported himself with his hands. Where did the injury on the back come from? We could turn into fools if we don't ask ourselves this question." That's a good question. Our suggestion - fly an expert in.
- Good News: World Record Holder David Rudisha Says Injury Is Gone And He'll Be Back In Action On June 30th Even better news is that Rudisha said he could have competed in Rome last week but he wanted to be safe.
Australia's Leading Men Get Some Much-Deserved Publicity
- From Fat Drinker To World Beater, Ben St. Lawrence Is Now Dreaming Of An Olympic Medal "I want to sneak into a medal, upset the formbook with the supposed invincibility of the Africans."
- Aussie Jeff Riseley Is Riding High After 2:16 1,000
- The Real Reason We've Been Pumping Up Jeff Riseley The Last Few Weeks - Riseley Blogs His Love For Dirk Nowitzki Please don't post love for LeBron on the message boards or it will be deleted, as LRC was founded by Dallas natives.
Ostrava: Bolt Wins Again With 9.91, Veronica
Campbell Brown Blasts 10.76 PR Usain Bolt got the attention like he always does and ran 9.91 for the second time in a week, but this time into a headwind. Veronica Campbell Brown (VCB), however, had the performance of the night. She blasted a 10.76 100m. Last year, she had the top 100 and 200 times in the year despite racing infrequently.
Sammy Wanjiru Will Probably Be Buried On Wednesday According To His Wishes - Wanjiru Loved Wednesday, As He Supposedly Won Several Marathons On A Wednesday The only problem is Wanjiru never ran a marathon on a Wednesday from what we can tell. Meanwhile, the article also says his Mom has asked for a lawyer to be removed as the head of his burial committee, as she represented Sammy and his wife in matters and is biased.
Recommended Read/Free Coaching Advice
Struggling AJ Acosta Tells How He Was Able To Qualify For NCAAs In 1,500 After Finishing 7th At PAC-10s - "I treated (regionals) as the NCAA final." We like this article, as it provides great advice to up-and-coming mid-d runners. AJ apparently share some of our same beliefs about mid-d racing. Remember: 1) It always opens up and 2) Don't kick too early. "I didn't want to make the same mistake I made at PAC-10s, which was all-out with 300 meters to go. I kind of closed my eyes a little bit and was telling myself to be patient, something will open up, because I didn't want to swing out to lane three. I told myself just be patient, it will open up, it will open up, it will open up."
Weekend Action *Hengelo Photos *Hengelo Results *Senegal Results
Jamal Runs 4:00 World Leader In 1,500m, Dayron Robles Shows It's A 3-Man Battle In 110 Hurdles With 13.07 Win This is always one of the better non DL meets, but the withdrawal of Kenenisa Bekele and David Rudisha with injuries hurt. *Results
Comrades: Stephen Muzhingi Becomes First Man To 3-Peat, Elena Nurgalieva Recovers From Fall To Beat Her Twin Sister
Hypo Götzis: World Champs Jessica Ennis And Trey Hardee Dominate Heptathlon And Decathlon At Götzis
Canada: Taylor Milne Sets Canadian 2,000m Record Of 5:01.37
- Marathon: Kenya's Laban Moiben Defeats Ethiopia's Dereje Abera By 3 Seconds To Win $20,000 At Ottawa Marathon
- 10k: Deriba Merga Loses Gender Challenge To Dire Tune At Ottawa 10k
Rome Diamond League *Results *Photos *IAAF Recap
LRC: Usain Bolt Nips Powell, Khadevis Robinson Storms From Last To First To Shock The World In 800 47,000 fans and a worldwide television audience
were focused on the
Usain Bolt-Asafa Powell showdown and it did not disappoint, as Usain Bolt - who said he was nervous for the first time ever - overtook Asafa Powell in the final meters. The surprise of the evening was
the men's 800m, where
8 time US champion, 34-year-old
Khadevis Robinson put on a stunning display the final 250m, going from last to first to win (video here). Last year, KD was rabbiting Golden League races, now he's winning them. In other action, Allyson Felix went sub-50 to defeat Sanya Richards-Ross in the 400 and world XC Champ Imane Merga showed his great finish in the 5,000m, running 12:54 and throwing down the gauntlet to Bernard Lagat, whom he'll race in 25 weeks
in NYC. Sara Hall had a 9-second PR to get a Worlds and Olympic qualifier in the steeple and Christin Wurth Thomas led the women's 1,500 at the bell before finishing 6th in a qualifying 4:03.72.
- Bolt On Rome: "I was so nervous. I got a bad start and then kind of started to panic."
- The Guardian: Five things we learned from the Rome Diamond League meeting
- On The Boards: Khadevis Robinson beats start studded Rome 800m field to win in 1:45.10
- Allyson Felix Defeats Sanya Richards Ross In 400 In Rome AP
- IAAF Recap Of Rome Golden Gala Meet
Time To Learn Some T&F History - 40 Years Ago, Jim Ryun & Marty Liquori Ran A Dream Mile In Philly & It More Than Lived Up To The Hype
- Recommended Read #1 NY Times: 40 Years Ago, Track Was At The "Front And Center" Of America's Consciousness, But Today We Are Indifferent (& Millrose's Move Proves It) 40 years ago, the US public was very much into the Dream Mile rivalry of Marty Liquori and Jim Ryun. "Forty years on, it's hard to imagine the average American giving a second thought to any track rivalry, never mind debating it on sports radio. That is probably why the move by Millrose, uptown and perhaps into obscurity, has been met with barely a shrug. It deserves better."
- Recommended Read #2 The 40th Anniversary Of The Dream Mile Between Marty Liquori & Jim Ryun Passes With Hardly A Whisper From The Media A couple of good quotes from Liquori: "I guess, as they say, things were a lot different in those days. There was no ESPN. Everyone watched the same events. It was a very focused thing for the nation to see that race. The buildup had been coming for two years ..." "Perhaps the thing that made it so unusual is sometimes big rivalries rarely live up to the buildup. They just don't pan out. But the two of us separated ourselves and literally sprinted almost all-out from 600 yards out."
"The Road Of Death"
Feature On Somali Runners Training Each Day On "Road Of Death" For London 2012 (Video) The video shows how some Somali athletes avoid gunfire each day to realize their dream of competing and winning at the 2012 Games. *LRC MB: Top Video on MSNBC Is Feature on Somali Runners Training Each Day on 'Road of Death' For London 2012
Boston Marathon *Live Boston Thread *Women's Reaction *Men's Reaction
*Video Highlights *Weather *Photos
One For The Ages In Boston: Desiree And The Fastest Marathon Ever Run "Unbelievable" is probably the best way to describe the 2011 Boston Marathon. First, American Desiree Davila, off the back of the lead pack multiple times, was gutsy as hell, battling for the win with Caroline Kilel down the final straight. There were 4 lead changes on the final straight before Kilel came out on top. In the men's race, American Ryan Hall ran 2:04:57 and lost by nearly 2 minutes. Yes, ladies and gentleman, Geoffrey Mutai and Moses Mosop ran faster than anyone else ever before the in the marathon, 2:03:02 and 2:03:06 respectively, thanks in part to 20 mph tailwinds. Mutai cemented his status as the strongest runner on the planet with the win. We give you some post-race comments below but purposely are holding off discussing the wind.
2011 World XC *Results *New Women's Race Photos *New Men's Race Photos
LRC: Shalane Flanagan Gets Bronze The Olympic bronze medallist and ING NYC Marathon runner-up ran a stellar race to snatch the bronze versus a star-studded field. Flanagan appeared to be dropped with 2km to go, but dug deep to stay in contention and battle back for the bronze. World 5,000m champ Vivian Cheruiyot pulled away from World 10,000m
Linet Masai for gold. The American women did very well to get a repeat bronze medal.
Men: Imane Merga Blasts Away From Four Kenyans In Sprint To Win The Kenyan men dominated the team competition and had 4 of the top 5 guys in the pack for the sprint the final 400m. However, the lone Ethiopian - Imane Merga, the Diamond League 5,000m champion - got the win the Kenyan nation wants most every year. Ben True was the first American in 36th, as he and fellow Ivy Leaguer Max King were America's two best.
Sad News: Sally Meyerhoff Killed In Cycling Accident The two-time All-American and US Olympic Trials qualifier as well former US champion at 25km was killed on Tuesday in a cycling accident at the young age of 27 while she trained for the Ironman World
Championship. *LRC MB: Sad News: Sally Meyerhoff Killed in Accident
*Abc15.com Article With Video On Meyerhoff's Death
*More Sad News: Florida High School Track Athlete Sarah Landauer Dies After Collapsing At Practice
Lagat Wins 2 Mile At Pre, Verzbicas Gets HS Record!!! (More Coverage Here)
Definitely The Interview Of Friday Night - An Upset Solinsky (If You Were Gone Over the Weekend, Read All About It Here, Men's 30k WR and 2:02 Marathon Prediction Here, Saturday Pre-Distance Recap Here)
Alberto On Galen Not Starting, Mo Winning
Moses Mosop Says He Can Run A 2:02 Marathon (Renato Canova Says The Same Thing Here)
Photos Of The Week
- Jerry Buss Track & Field Photo Album Buss, the 77-year-old owner of the Lakers, is notorious for dating much younger women, and in all the photos of him at USC track meets the last two years, he's seated next to a much younger woman. Surprised no one has discussed this on our forums. No doubt Phil Jackson is upset. *LA Lakers Owner Jerry Buss Is Track Fan Who Knows The Name Of Oregon Sprinter English Gardner
- African 10k Champ Wilson Kiprop Wins 10k In Iten In 28:55 Be sure to check out the photo of the timing clock being powered by a car battery.
KD Wins 800m In Rome (More Here)
Usain Bolt Nips Asafa Powell (More Here)
Train Smarter (More In The Training Forum)
- Lydiard vs magill vs malmo for summer cross country training
- Couple questions about summer training?
- Peter Snell Interview and his thoughts on Lydiard training
- Sprinter to Distance : My quest to run sub 2
Everyone Might Want To Watch 60 Minutes On Sunday
George Hincapie, Like A "Brother" To Lance Armstrong, Reportedly Testified Armstrong Doped A day after Olympic champ (and liar and cheat) Tyler Hamilton said Lance Armstrong doped, George Hincapie, who is like a "brother" to Lance, reportedly
told the grand
Lance doped. This is big news because many, including just today The Ticket (a top 5 sports radio station in America), said if someone who was more credible like Hincapie came forward, it would bear more weight.
Tyler Hamilton Confession Letter He explains to his friends why he lied for so long.
Remembering Sammy Wanjiru (News On Events Surrounding His Death In Left-Hand Column)
LRC RIP Sammy Wanjiru: The World's Greatest Marathoner Has Died Yesterday in the article above, we paid tribute to Sammy's incredible career and now athletes, journalists, and industry insiders are all paying their respects to the incredible marathoner Sammy Wanjiru.
- Excellent Read: Toni Reavis - "I am Sammy Wanjiru!" Well worth a read. Quote of the day.
- Brett Larner With A Fabulous Compilation Of Quotes On Sammy Wanjiru's Life, Career And Death Well worth a read as well. Gives you a good sense on the Japanese influence on his marathon career and his mental toughness.
- Kenyan Runners In Iten React To Sammy Wanjiru's Death
Train Smarter (More In Our Training Forum)
- Questions about Summer of Malmo
- SHORT REST INTERVAL TRAINING WITH DANNY HENDERSON 1983-1984
- Summary of Renato Canova principles
- Staying motivated when you want to stop
- 2 long runs + 2 workouts a week
- Workout Heroes vs. Workout Zeros
Stanford Photo Gallery
London 2011 Photos
Boston (Updated Photo Gallery Below) *Recap Analysis: *JK On The Wind *Wejo On Desiree *Rojo *London And Boston *Video Highlights
Desiree Davila Pure Guts
Women's World XC In Photos
Men's World XC In Photos
Train Smarter (More In The Training Forum)
- Wow, Lydiard training seems ridiculously hard
- best marathon improvement after age 40?
- How does "strength" differ from "speed" and "endurance" as a runner?
- "A runner needs a LT run every 2 to 5 days in order to not lose any aerobic ability."
Universal Sports Back To Top