RIP Sammy Wanjiru *Pay Your Respects Here
The Latest News From Kenya On The Events Surrounding Sammy Wanjiru's Death As the reality of the tragic death of 24-year-old Olympic Marathon champ Sammy Wanjiru settled in, the world was left searching for answers, trying to understand the details surrounding Sammy's death and to ponder whether it was preventable. At the same time, the Athletics World was paying tribute to the greatest marathoner to grace the planet. Below we have latest news on Sammy's death and in the middle column we have athletes and commentators paying tribute to Sammy's career.
- More Details From Kenya On Wanjiru's Death Comments from the doctor who tried to save him, plus the article says his wife did not see him fall and left before he fell. EA Standard
- Three Wives: Two Other Women Claiming To Be Sammy Wanjiru's Wives Join His Mother And Legal Wife At His Home To Mourn His Death Earlier in the day, the news was a women claiming to be his second wife, now there are three wives and the 4th woman he brought home from the bar. Daily Nation
- TV Broadcast - Did Society Let Wanjiru Down? (With Interview With Kip Keino)
- Gun Charges Had Taken A Toll On Sammy And He Was Going To Get Therapy Outside Of Kenya Reuters
- Kenyan Newspaper Article Says Wanjiru Had Sent SMS Threatening To Kill Himself Over His Marriage Daily Nation
- NY Times Article: Federico Rosa, Sammy's Agent: "I am 100 percent sure there was no suicide."
- Kenyan Runner Magazine Headline This Issue Said, "Can the real Samuel Wanjiru please stand up?"
- BBC: Shock, sadness and questions in Kenya on Sammy Wanjiru's Death
High School Performances Of Note
- Arizona's BILLY ORMAN SOLO 8:48 3200 and 4:06 1600!
- TX Craig Lutz 8:52.91
- NY's Aisling Cuffe 4:40/9:56 double
- OR high school kid runs 10.35 for the 100m - & he's a SOPHOMORE?
Saturday's Top Action *Healthy Kidney Highlight Video *Healthy Kidney Photos
World Record Holder Leonard Komon Trounces Field To Pick Up $45,000 At Healthy Kidney 10k In Central Park Komon, the 10k world record holder, took on former World record holder Micah Kogo, World XC Champ Joseph Ebuya, and recent 27:24 10,000m runner Bobby
Curtis, in New York's Central Park. Komon ran 27:35, smashing
the course record and picking up $45,000. *Results
US 25k Championships @ Fifth Third River Bank Run: Fernando Cabada, Molly Pritz Get US Titles Cabada got a convincing win over the field, while Brooks-Hansons' Molly Pritz made a mockery of it, winning by 3 minutes to get her first national title. *Results *More Coverage On Meet Website
More Out West: MB 1:45.4-800 good for 2nd in Big West! Ryan Martin and Charles Jock are two you should look out for.
Other Weekend Action Of Note
- Puerto Rico: Jeremy Wariner Injured, 200m World Leader Nickel Ashmeade Beats Justin Gatlin In Ponce Grand Prix 100m Jeremy Wariner dropped out 80 meters into the 400 with back pain.
- 2007 WC 10k Bronze Medallist Martin Mathathi Wins Naoko Takahashi Cup Gifu Seiryu Half Marathon In 60:47 Tokyo Marathon star Yuki Kawauchi ran a disappointing 1:04:44 for 13th. He was with the leaders through 10k, but fell off pace after colliding with another athlete.
Worth A Read
- Insurance Gone, Paralyzed Athlete Fights For His Life Track/football star Rocky Clark's insurance is up but he has a good attitude: "I realized things happen. Life doesn't always give us what we expect. I've got a spinal-cord injury, but there's nothing wrong with my brain. I've got a strong spirit and courage. You've just got to learn to deal with it."
- Marcus O'Sullivan's Former Coach, Tom Donnelly, Has Built A Legendary Coaching Career At Haverford College
- An Absolute Must Read: Whatever Happened To Daniel Komen? Komen had the arguably the greatest 2-year stretch in distance running history and his 7:20 3k record is still untouched. Was it as simple as that he came from the backwoods and made more than he ever imagined?
*1 Year Ago (Saturday May 14, 2010) Eliud Kipchoge Ran 12:51.21 To Become Closest To Sub-12:50 Since 2007
After Ryan Hall Leads Early, David Torrence 3-Peats As Sara Hall Wins Women's Marathoner Ryan Hall went straight to lead for the first 400m but faded to a 4:17 DFL finish as David Torrence
put on a show over the final
300 meters and obliterated the field and won handily as he got to enjoy (see the photo on the left) his 3rd straight title. Ryan's wife,
Sara Hall, was patient early as Amy Mortimer got a big early lead, and her patience resulted in the women's title and $14,000 thanks to her 4:30.8, as Mortimer faded to 5th over the final few meters. MB: David Torrence Said He "Cemented Himself In History"
*Recommended Read: 3rd Placer & Former Minnesotra Star Gabriele Anderson Coming Back From 2nd Cancer Diagnosis In 1.5 Years We wish her the best in her medical battle.
The Biggest Doping News In Nearly 10 Years
- Greek Sprinters Costas Kenteris And Katerina Thanou Appealing Sentences
- Greek Sprint Pair Found Guilty Of Perjury As Judge Says, "The crash never happened." Kostas Kenteris and Katerina Thanou were found guilty of perjury for lying about a motorcyle accident so they could avoid a drug test at the 2004 Olympic Games.
- Simon Turnbull: At Last, Justice Catches Up With Greek Sprint Cheats After the verdict, Kenteris' lawyer said, "I am ashamed for my country." Considering the missed test in question was "the 3rd drug test the pair had missed in 17 days" and "on the day they left hospital police raided the premises of their coach and discovered 30 boxes of anabolic steroids and 1,400 boxes of supplements containing the banned stimulant ephedrine," we are ashamed for the lawyer.
- Reuters: Sprinters' verdicts offer Greece a chance to move on
- AP Recap Of Greek Trial *Reuters Recap
- Archive: Earlier In Trial, Drug Cheats Defied Court Order And Didn't Show Up At Court
Diamond League #1 In Doha In The Books *Results *Photos *3k Highlights
Yenew Alamirew's 7:27 3k Highlights 10 World Leaders To Start Diamond League Season In Qatar The meet saw Allyson Felix continue her winning ways in the 400m, Olympic 1,500m champ Asbel Kiprop get the win in the 800, Walter Dix burst back on the scene with an impressive 20.06 200m and American Jesse Williams win the high jump with a gutsy performance. The highlight for distance fans, however, was the men's 3,000m, where the young 20-year-old Ethiopian Yenew Alamirew (who burst on the scene last year out of nowhere, running 7:28 in Milan) opened up his 2011 outdoor campaign with a strong final 200m to pull away from former world champ Eliud Kipchoge to get the win in a fast 7:27.26 win and PR, as the first 6 men all set personal bests and 12 men ran under 7:35.
Introducing PowerBar's High Performance Sustained Release Beta-Alanine Supplement (Sponsored Post)
Learn How PowerBar's High Performance Beta-Alanine Supplement May Help You Run Faster Beta-alanine supplementation is scientifically proven to increase muscle carnosine levels. Carnosine helps with the buffering in lactic acid. Scientific studies indicated that beta-alanine supplementation may lead to increased athletic performance. PowerBar's new High Intensity Beta-Alanine product takes the guess work out of beta-alanine supplementaion. Click here for more on this new product that may help you run faster.
LRC Another Great Stanford Meet Is In The Books The 2011 Payton Jordan meet did not disappoint, as 22 runners got under the Olympic A standard in the men's and women's 10,000, as the "star" Americans in
Matt Tegenkamp and Shalane Flanagan got beaten. In the men's 10k, the winner was 20-year-old Bedan Karoki,
whose breathtaking move with more than seven laps to go instantly ended the race, which was the first one in American history where three Americans broke 27:30 (led by Bobby Curtis). In the men's 1,500, German Fernandez's struggles continued in the B heat (is it officially time to panic?), while Lopez Lomong and Evan Jager returned to action in the A heat that was won by Ben Blankenship. In the ladies' 1,500, Jordan Hasay got a PR and collegiate leader
finished 5th. The
story of the steeple was that Mark Wetmore-coached athletes shined and got the Olympic A standards, as Emma Coburn impressed from the opening moment of the race while Billy Nelson waited until late to unleash an incredibly impressive kick. In the men's 5k, Elliott Heath's unreal kick wasn't quite enough to get him the win, as seven broke 13:30. Read all about as we recap the top action for you.
*HS Senior Ammar Moussa Runs 14:05 To Win Heat In Payton Jordan 5k
*Athletics Weekly Recap Of Stanford 10k: Brit Chris Thompson Runs Fastest UK Time In 13 Years With 27:27
*IAAF Recap Of Payton Jordan 10k
*Register Guard Recap Of Payton Jordan Meet
*MB: Teg, Nelson 27:28, 13 under 'A' standard!
*Bobby Curtis 27:24, you all saw that right?
*Jordan Hasay 4:10
Penn Relays *Penn Results *Official Site *Photos
Saturday At Penn (Reuters Recap) The carnival that is Penn is always crazy (and hard to recap). Saturday saw Jamaica's Kenia Sinclair run a 1:57.06 split to nearly set the world record in the sprint medley relay, Robby Andrews getting revenge for his loss to Casimir Loxsom at World Juniors by outkicking him to win the 4 x 800, Princeton gets its first Championship of America title in 71 years by winning the 4 x mile, a great pro DMR where Bernard Lagat (2:48.30) and Ryan Gregson (Aussie who turned 21 this week, in his first race back from a navicular stress fracture) had great first legs, and things came down to a 4-way battle on the anchor and Amine Laalou came from behind for the win, plus Allyson Felix winning 2 relays, Asafa Powell leading Jamaica, and even the return of Justin Gatlin. Individual coverage of these stories below:
- Robby Andrews Uses His Patented Kick To Win Penn 4 X 800 Over Casimir Loxsom *Video Of Final 200
More On Andrews: "As soon as he gets the stick, it's over."
- Princeton's Mark Amirault Roars By Arkansas' Duncan Phillips To Give Princeton Its First Championship Of America Title In 71 Years
- Message Board Thread On Pro DMR
- Allyson Felix Leads US To 2 Wins, Asafa Powell Leads Jamaican 4 X 100 Team To Win, Kenia Sinclair's 1:57.06 Split Nearly Gets Sprint Medley World Record
LRCJohn Kellogg Explains How He "Predicted" The Unpredictable - A Sub-2:03:59 In Boston LetsRun.com's coaching guru explains the rationale behind his non-prediction that is making waves around the globe. Years of timed out-and-back and straight-shot tempos with the wind in Waco, Texas (and other windy Texas venues) proved invaluable to his understanding the effects of the wind. JK took a stab at converting the Boston performances by Mutai and Hall to London and Berlin and even reveals what would happen if the Boston Mutai raced the London Mutai.
The Sport Loses A Legend *Grete Waitz's NYC Marathon Results
Grete Waitz Loses Battle With Cancer Waitz is best known for being a 9-time New York City Marathon champion, a class act, and a pioneer in the sport, but she also was a 4:00 1,500m runner and an 8:31 3,000m
runner. As a kid, watching her on ABC win
NYC every year was one of the site founders' earliest running memories. She will be missed. Thanks to Leo Kulinski for the photo. Another one here.
*Pay Your Respects In This Thread
Virgin London Marathon *Watch Full Race On Demand *Photos
LRC Emmanuel Mutai Runs The Best 10km Ever In A Marathon To Destroy The Field & Arrive As One Of The World's Best
A lead pack that was a who's who of marathoning went through 30km together, but soon the race would be nothing but a coronation for Emmanuel Mutai, who destroyed the field with a 28:44 4th 10k and ended up with a 2:04:40 course record. Almost as big of a story as Mutai's
incredible run was the fact that the 2nd placer ended up being one of the all-time greats - Martin Lel - who shocked even himself in his first marathon since Beijing 2008. American Jason Lehmkuhle was the only elite American finisher as the three rookie American marathoners went out too fast and blew up - none worse than Mo Trafeh, who ran with the lead pack for 15 km.
LRC Women's Marathoning Has A New Star Named Mary Keitany Keitany knocked nearly 10 minutes off her personal best and knocked Liliya Shobukhova off her pedestal as the best in the world, as Keitany ran the first sub-2:20 since 2008 and made mincemeat of "undoubtedly" of the strongest women's field in London history. All together, a record 22 women broke 2:30 - but that didn't include US Olympian Magdalena Lewy-Boulet.
April Fools News
Sad News: Sally Meyerhoff Killed In Cycling Accident The two-time All-American and US Olympic Trials qualifier as well former US champion at 25km was killed on Tuesday in a cycling accident at the young age of 27 while she trained for the Ironman World
Championship. *LRC MB: Sad News: Sally Meyerhoff Killed in Accident
*Abc15.com Article With Video On Meyerhoff's Death
*Ahwatukee.com Article On Meyerhoff's Death
*New York Road Runners Article
*More Sad News: Florida High School Track Athlete Sarah Landauer Dies After Collapsing At Practice
Remembering Sammy Wanjiru (News On Events Surrounding His Death In Left Hand Column)
LRC RIP Sammy Wanjiru: The World's Greatest Marathoner Has Died Yesterday in the article above, we paid tribute to Sammy's incredible career and now athletes, journalists, and industry insiders are all paying their respects to the incredible marathoner Sammy Wanjiru.
- Excellent Read: Toni Reavis "I am Sammy Wanjiru!" Well worth a read. Quote of the day.
- Brett Larner With A Fabulous Compilation Of Quotes On Sammy Wanjiru's Life, Career And Death Well worth a read as well. Gives you a good sense on the Japanese influence on his marathon career and his mental toughness.
- Kenyan Runners In Iten React To Sammy Wanjiru's Death
- Paul Tergat Pays His Respects To Sammy Wanjiru
- Chicago Tribune's Phil Hersh: Sammy Wanjiru One Of The Greatest Ever
- Pat Butcher: "I have never seen anything like Wanjiru's finish in the Chicago Marathon last Autumn."
- Universal Sports' Joe Battaglia Reflects On Sammy Wanjiru Making Us Believe The Impossible
- Dave Bedford, Carey Pinkowski And Mary Wittenberg Pay Tribute To Sammy Wanjiru
- Prime Minister Raila Odinga Sends His Condolences To Wanjiru's Family
- Prefontaine: Unbelievable 2 Mile At Pre Classic World Champs Lagat and Kipchoge, young stud Yenew, and T. Bekele, not to mention Americans Tegenkamp, Rupp and Solinsky, plus overmatched high schooler Lukas Verzbicas.
- LinkedIn Human Centipede Runs 37-Flat For 12k At Bay To Breakers
- Pittsburgh: Rabbit Jeff Eggleston Catches Up To Leaders And Finishes Them Off To Win Pittsburgh Marathon
- Alemtsehay Misganaw Finishes 2nd At Pittsburgh And Then Is DQed Because She Was Entered In The Half Marathon It cost her $4,000.
- Shanghai DL: China Super-Pleased With Liu Xiang Win In Shanghai And His New 7-Step Technique To The First Hurdle David Oliver had won 18 straight until Liu Xiang stopped him in Shanghai.
Shanghai Diamond League: Liu Xiang Is Back! Liu Xiang stunned David Oliver in the 110m hurdles before the home crowd. Veronica
Campbell Brown (VCB) beat Carmelita Jeter in the 100m, and Asafa Powell won the men's. In the distances, Vivian Cheruiyot triumphed
in the 5,000m duel with Linet Masai, Asbel Kiprop was defeated in the 1,500m, Jenny Meadows won the 800m, and Olympic champ Brimin Kipruto nipped Paul Koech in the steeple. *Results
*Shanghai Diamond League In Pictures *Lengthy Asafa Powell Profile: "I Believe I'll Beat Bolt This Summer"
Manchester: Powerade City Games: Tyson Gay Wins 150, Allyson Felix Cruises In 200 On Streets Of Manchester In rainy and cold conditions, Tyson Gay went through 100m in 9.91 to win the 150m on a track set up in downtown Manchester. Afterwards, Gay said of the street meet format, "It's a crowd we can't get in the United States." *MB Thread
*BBC Video Coverage Of Tyson Gay's, Allyson Felix's, And Jessica Ennis' Runs In Manchester
Haile Gebrselassie Pulls Away From Chris Thompson For Win At BUPA Great Manchester Run Craig Mottram was 4th. Afterwards, Haile G went crazy with praise for Chris Thompson. *Top Men's Results *IAAF Recap
*BBC Video Interview With Chris Thompson "I've got to think of nothing other than racing these guys and just not be afraid to go with it. And I did that today and I won't be afraid to do it again. It hurts like hell, but that's why I love it."
*BBC Video Interview With Haile
*Helen Clitheroe Wins Bupa Great Manchester Run
Zazzle Bay To Breakers Successfully Turns 100: Ridouane Harroufi Outsprints Boston Champ Deriba Merga The policy cracked down on sobriety this year, so Harroufi did not have his bottle of vodka and 20 beers when he outkicked Merga. Jason Hartmann edged Meb for FAM (first American man).
Women: Lineth Chekpkurui Repeats Magdalena Lewy Boulet was FAW. *Results The police crackdown was successful, as people boozed it up a little, but didn't go crazy and use homes along the course as public toilets. *Photos
Pittsburgh Marathon: Rabbit Jeffrey Eggleston Wins Eggleston is doing it his own way, training in Flagstaff, Arizona. Sounds a little bit like Wejo except Eggleston is vegan. Check out his blog here. *MB: Rabbit Hangs in the race, wins the Pittsburgh Marathon
Say It Ain't So ... RIP Millrose?
Sad, Sad Day: It's Official - Millrose Games RIP ... "Millrose" To The Armory Next year, the great event formerly known as the Millrose Games will be held not at Madison Square Garden but at the Armory. They can call it what they want, but in our opinion, it's not the Millrose
Games. Wejo: "The Millrose Games at the Armory is not the Millrose Games. It's like having the New York City Marathon in Long Island or Iowa for that matter."
*NY Daily News: Millrose On The Move To say Millrose is on the move would be like saying a horse race in May at a random track not named Churchill Downs was the Kentucky Derby. We don't get why they don't just say Millrose is gone - we're having another random meet at the Armory instead.
*AP Article: Millrose Games moving uptown to Armory We disagree. A random track meet will take place at the Armory.
Millrose Games Likely To Move To The Armory & USATF Will Stop Supporting It To Tune Of $1 Million The Armory Foundation owns Millrose and it looks like they will move the meet to ... the Armory. If that happens, USATF will stop propping it up financially and Millrose, except for maybe the name, will basically be dead. *MB: Famed Millrose Games May Leave MSG
Depressing Result: Olympic 800m Champ Pamela Jelimo Only Clocks 27.7 For 200m In Kenya Jelimo she's not ready for the 800 yet and the 27.7, which in the past might have been her opening 200 split in an 800, shows it. Jelimo may have been able to run faster, but the 200 was run at the wrong time so she wasn't totally ready.
News From South Africa
- South African Olympic 1,500 Finalist Juan van Deventer Is Struck By Car In Training - Out For Season
- Former SAfrican Track Boss Leonard Chuene Concerned For Safety After His Property Is Damaged He also thinks he's being followed.
Two Pros Comment On Their Recent Performances - One Good & One Bad
- Ryan Gregson Blogs About His 2:48 Penn Relays Split
- Sanya Richards Ross Not Too Upset By Her 5th Place 400m Showing In Jamaica
"The Road Of Death"
Feature On Somali Runners Training Each Day On "Road Of Death" For London 2012 (Video) The video shows how some Somali athletes avoid gunfire each day to realize their dream of competing and winning at the 2012 Games. *LRC MB: Top Video on MSNBC Is Feature on Somali Runners Training Each Day on 'Road of Death' For London 2012
Distance Races At 2011 Pre Classic To Be Run Under Lights And Free To Public!!! Tom Jordan is right in saying he has assembled "the best fields ever on American soil," as marathon aces Asbel Kirui and Moses Mosop will go after the men's world record at 25k and 30k, Dibaba, Cheruiyot, Masai and Flanagan will race the women's 5k and 7 Ethiopians and 12 Kenyans are scheduled to go out in 13:18 in the men's 10k. *LRC MB: A Look At Who's Running What In The Magical Distance Races At The 2011 Pre Classic
Drake Saturday *Drake Results *Photos *Newspaper Special Section
LRC 2011 Drake Relays Recap: Boaz Lalang Wins 2011 Drake Relays Mile Over Alan Webb, Who Is Fourth Webb, the American record holder, got the short end of the stick in the final sprint between Kenyan Olympian Lalang, NCAA breakout star Chris O'Hare and World Champs semi-finalist Peter Van Der Westhuizen. In other action, Jenny Barringer went wire-to-wire
in the 1,500, Jeremy Wariner
won the 400m and Adam Nelson went over 70 feet for the first time in 3 years to show he could be a factor in 2011.
On The Boards: Alan Webb Gets 4th At Drake, Boaz Lalang Wins
Boston Marathon *Live Boston Thread *Women's Reaction *Men's Reaction
*Video Highlights *Weather *Photos
One For The Ages In Boston: Desiree And The Fastest Marathon Ever Run "Unbelievable" is probably the best way to describe the 2011 Boston Marathon.
Davila, off the back of the lead pack multiple times, was gutsy as hell,
battling for the win with Caroline Kilel down the final straight. There were 4 lead changes on the final straight before Kilel came out on top. In the men's race, American Ryan Hall ran 2:04:57 and lost by nearly 2 minutes. Yes, ladies and gentleman, Geoffrey
Mutai and Moses Mosop ran faster than anyone else ever before the in the marathon, 2:03:02 and 2:03:06 respectively, thanks in part to 20 mph tailwinds. Mutai cemented his status as the strongest runner on the planet with the win. We give you some post-race comments below but purposely are holding off discussing the wind.
LRC: Wejo Speaks: Desiree Davila Inspires Us All At The 2011 Boston Marathon She had the entire press room and Alberto Salazar yelling for her.
LRC: Men's Post-Race Reaction The top 4 were all pleased with their blazing fast times. Ryan Hall summed up the magical day: "I am running 2:04 pace and I can't even see the leaders."
LRC: 2011 Boston Marathon Post-Race Reaction From Desiree, Caroline And Kara
*Video Highlights *Men's Post-Race Reaction/Interviews *Women's Post-Race Comments/Interviews
- LRC: Desiree Davila Looking For Respect In Boston Davila finished one spot behind Kara Goucher at the last World Championships in the marathon, and she's hoping to finally
out of Kara's shadow at Monday's Boston Marathon. LetsRun.com has spent the last six years getting a mole into the Hansons-Brooks team, and now thanks to him we have this inside look at Desiree's preparations for Boston, which has included a 123-mile week. Article and video interview plus some video of the Hansons-Brooks training runs.
2011 World XC *Results *New Women's Race Photos *New Men's Race Photos
LRC: Shalane Flanagan Gets Bronze The Olympic bronze medallist and ING NYC Marathon runner-up ran a stellar race to snatch the bronze versus a star-studded field. Flanagan appeared to be dropped with 2km to go, but dug deep to stay in contention and battle back for the bronze. World 5,000m champ Vivian Cheruiyot pulled away from World 10,000m
Linet Masai for gold. The American women did very well to get a repeat bronze medal.
Men: Imane Merga Blasts Away From Four Kenyans In Sprint To Win The Kenyan men dominated the team competition and had 4 of the top 5 guys in the pack for the sprint the final 400m. However, the lone Ethiopian - Imane Merga, the Diamond League 5,000m champion - got the win the Kenyan nation wants most every year. Ben True was the first American in 36th, as he and fellow Ivy Leaguer Max King were America's two best.
*Merga: "Before I used to think of myself as a track runner but this winter I have got to like cross-country races more."
*Craig Mottram Finishes As Top Non-Afrrican Born Male In 21st As Two Guys Ahead Of Him Are DQed For Fighting In Race To Line Eritrea's Samuel Tsegay and Ethiopia's Abera Kuma were given the DQ.
Junior Boys: Geoffrey Kipsang Leads Kenya To 13th Straight Title Kipsang was only 4th at the Kenyan Trials but dominated. High schooler Craig Lutz was the first American in 29th.
Junior Girls: Faith Kipyegon Of Kenya Wins, But Ethiopia Edges Them For Team Title High schooler Aisling Cuffe was the first American in 17th.
HS: Lukas V. Runs Away From The Top Milers To Complete Historic High School Nationals Triple His double on Sunday was super-impressive, but we had completely forgotten about German
8:34 double at the California state meet.
*IAAF Article On Verzbicas
We Wrote This Article Too Soon:
Gerry Lindgren's Legendary 47-Year-Old High School National Record Survives Scare From Lukas Verzbicas And Edward Cheserek Verzbicas hammered home over the final lap to pull away from Cheserek, but in the end, Lindgren's 8:40.0 lived to see another day, as Verzbicas ran 8:40.70 and Cheserek shattered the indoor and overall sophomore class records with his 8:42.66. More: Gerry Lindgren 8:40 Indoors *LRC MB Lukas V. 8:40.7!! *LRC MB So close *Running Times Q&A With Lindgren About His 8:40.0 Note: This article incorrectly implies the record was set in a 16-lap race.
*Lucas Verzbicas (14:06.78) & (Waverly Neer) 16:35.15 Set National HS 5,000 Records
Tokyo Marathon: A Legend Is Born *Photos
Hailu Mekonnen Wins, Japanese Amateur Yuki Kawauchi Runs Amazing 2:08:37 For 3rd And Faints At Finish Yuki Kawauchi's story is amazing.
A 13:59 5ker and 29:02 10ker, he has a full-time job and has stayed away from the Japanese collegiate and professional system, yet he stunned all of Japan with a 2:08:37 run. Dreams do become reality.
*On The Boards: 13:59 5k, 29:02 10k Japanese AMATEUR Runs 2:08:37 at Tokyo Marathon and Passes Out
The 10 Best High School XC Runners Ever
LRC Week That Was: The 10 Best High School XC Runners Of All Time, Verzbicas, Tribute To Gary Reed, The NY Times & The NE Patriots And More We've got the entire running world covered from San Diego to Japan, from the high school ranks to the pros, and even talk about the NE Patriots and the NY Times.
Liu Xiang Stops David Oliver's 18-Race Winning Streak
Best Distance Finish Of The Weekend: Kipruto Vs. Koech
College Conference Action *More Results Here
SEC Champs: *Championship Central *Final Results
*Dorian Ulrey's 800/1500 Double (And 4th In 5,000m) Helps Arkansas Upset Florida Sounds like the Razorbacks we all remember.
*LSU Women, Arkansas Men Win SEC Titles Dorian Ulrey, who redshirted last year, pulled off the 800/1,500 double as Arkansas upset indoor champs Florida to win the title.
*University Of Arkansas's Slovenian Pole Vaulter Tina Sutej Sets World Lead, NCAA Record, And NR At 4.61 (15' 1.5")
*Arkansas Men Remember Last Year's Embarrassing 7th-Place Finish Their star Ulrey was redshirted so they could be a force this year. D-day has arrived.
BIG 12 Champs: *Championship Central *Final Results
*Texas A&M Sweeps Big 12 Titles Two-time defending national champs Texas A&M men won their first conference crown since 2001 as two-time defending cross-country champion Oklahoma State was last with 14.5 total points as German Fernandez was a DNF in the 5k.
PAC-10 Champs: *Championship Central/Live Results
*Oregon Sweeps PAC-10 The men won comfortably despite an off meet by AJ Acosta. The women, despite a dropped baton in the 4 x 100, won narrowly thanks to Jordan Hasay's 1,500m-5,000m double. And guess what? Oregon's sprinters turned heads. English Gardner ran a US junior record 11.03 100m, and Michael Berry ran 44.91 to break a 50-yeat-old school record. The other big conference meets finish Sunday (see more in the right hand column).
On The Boards: Ducks SWEEP Pac Tens in 'Zona
*WSU's Jeshua Anderson Is A Four-Time PAC-10 Champ In The 400m Hurdes Matt Centrowitz got his third straight 1,500m title
*Oregon State Scores First Points At The PAC-10 Championships Since 2006
Big 10 Champs: *Championship Central *Final Results
*Iowa Men Edge Minnesota To Win 2011 Big 10 Title Host Iowa - who was a big underdog - pulled off a shocker and won.
*Ohio State Women Win Their First Big 10 Outdoor Title
*Men Final IC4A Results
*Women Final ECAC Results
The Greatness Of You (And Us)
LRC Spring Marathon Contest Recap: The Greatness Of You One of our favorite things at LetsRun.com is recapping our prediction contest because we get to highlight you - the interesting people who make our site so successful. Our Boston and
London Marathon prediction contest was no different, as the winners include a guy who is currently making a film on Kenyan distance runners, "The
Greatest Distance Runners On Earth," a guy whose college buddies bet him he couldn't finish a marathon and he ended up running 2:43 on 18 weeks of training, and a guy who was coached in high school by a guy who lived at one time at the LetsRun.com headquarters (proving that three degrees of separation exist in the running world).
LRC The Greatness Of You, Continued - And A Thank You As little LetsRun.com keeps getting bigger and bigger, running laps around the competition, and starts decade #2 dreaming of a million unique monthly visitors, we just wanted to take a minute to thank you - our loyal visitor.
Train Smarter (More In Our Training Forum)
- Staying motivated when you want to stop
- 2 long runs + 2 workouts a week
- Marathon Training Thread - Week Ending 5/8
- Workout Heroes vs. Workout Zeros
Stanford Photo Gallery
*Bernard Lagat Says He Wants To Run 12:49 "In my head, I have just put all eggs into that one basket. Monaco. 5,000 meters. If I don't get it there, I don't know when I will get it. It's good to aim high because to me 12:49 is the highest I can put it now."
*IAAF Daegu World Challenge Preview: Recent Drake Relays Mile Champ Boaz Lalang Vs. World 1,500m Champ Yusuf Saad Kamel In The 800 David Oliver in 110 hurdles and Carmelita Jeter in 100m also headline field.
London 2011 Photos
Andrew Bumbalough Thriving In 1st Year As Pro One Year After Getting Mono And Nearly Being Left Out Of Nike's Plans This is an unbelievably good piece of writing for a college newspaper. It also reveals he's gotten his mileage up to 90 per week from 65 to 70 in college.
Boston (Updated Photo Gallery Below) *Recap Analysis: *JK On The Wind *Wejo On Desiree *Rojo *London And Boston *Video Highlights
2:03:02 In Boston: Men's Highlights From Boston (More Here)
Desiree Davila Pure Guts
Emmanual Mutai Becomes A Star, Legend Martin Lel Outkicks Makau (You Can Watch The Full Race Here)
Train Smarter (More In The Training Forum)
- Scheduling Rest Days - How Often?
- stress fracture twice in same bone in 6 months...HELP
- Coaching that once-in-a-career athlete
- Is there any point doing tempo runs if your event is 3200m or shorter? Let us just chime in with an emphatic yes.
- Anyone get sick or catch a cold right after a race???
Women's World XC In Photos
Men's World XC In Photos
Train Smarter (More In The Training Forum)
- Wow, Lydiard training seems ridiculously hard
- best marathon improvement after age 40?
- How does "strength" differ from "speed" and "endurance" as a runner?
- "A runner needs a LT run every 2 to 5 days in order to not lose any aerobic ability."
Universal Sports Back To Top