The Biggest Doping News In Nearly 10 Years
- Greek Sprint Pair Found Guilty Of Perjury As Judge Says, "The crash never happened." Kostas Kenteris and Katerina Thanou were found guilty of perjury for lying about a motorcyle accident so they could avoid a drug test at the 2004 Olympic games.
- Simon Turnbull: At Last, Justice Catches Up With Greek Sprint Cheats After the verdict, Kenteris' lawyer said, "I am ashamed for my country." Considering the missed test in question was "the 3rd drug test the pair had missed in 17 days" and "on the day they left hospital police raided the premises of their coach and discovered 30 boxes of anabolic steroids and 1,400 boxes of supplements containing the banned stimulant ephedrine," we are ashamed for the lawyer.
- Reuters: Sprinters' verdicts offer Greece a chance to move on
- AP Recap Of Greek Trial *Reuters Recap
- Archive: Earlier In Trial, Drug Cheats Defied Court Order And Didn't Show Up At Court
The Greatness Of You (And Us)
LRC Spring Marathon Contest Recap: The Greatness Of You One of our favorite things at LetsRun.com is recapping our prediction contest because we get to highlight you - the interesting people who make our site so successful. Our Boston and London Marathon prediction contest was no different, as the winners include a guy who is currently making a film on Kenyan distance runners, "The
Greatest Distance Runners On Earth," a guy whose college buddies bet him he couldn't finish a marathon and he ended up running 2:43 on 18 weeks of training, and a guy who was coached in high school by a guy who lived at one time at the LetsRun.com headquarters (proving that three degrees of separation exist in the running world).
LRC The Greatness Of You, Continued - And A Thank You As little LetsRun.com keeps getting bigger and bigger, running laps around the competition, and starts decade #2 dreaming of a million unique monthly visitors, we just wanted to take a minute to thank you - our loyal visitor. Plus, if you've got any suggestions for decade #2 of LetsRun.com, we want to hear them. Our goal has never been to be the biggest, but the best - and to do that, we need your feedback.
News From Kenya
- Athletics Kenya Will Announce World Championships Marathon Team On Wed (May 12th)
- Interesting Fact: Matthew Kisorio, Peter Kimeli And Nicholas Kipchirchir Togom All Are Sons Of Kenya's 1st World Cross-Country Medallist The late Some Muge won World XC bronze in 1983 and his 3 sons now all run for Kenya, as Togom will run for Kenya in the African junior champs which start Thursday and run through Sunday.
- It's Now Alleged That An IOC Member Took $1.5 Million Bribe To Vote For Qatar For 2022 World Cup
- Oregon 2012 Hoping To Sell $4 Million Worth Of Sponsorships For Trials
- Could Geneva, OH (Cleveland) Host A World Championships In Track? No jokes please. They are building a track-only stadium.
- Runners In Japan On Corporate Ekiden Team That Managed Damaged Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant Are Struggling After The Quake All of their races have been cancelled and they are now being forced to work full-time and not race.
- British Writer Runs With Ethiopian Pros & Wonders If Secret Is Their Training Single File On Unpredictable Trails An interesting read to see what an average training run is like in Ethiopia. Every one ends with short strides.
- Running Times Looks At American Huddle's Training With The Great Ray Treacy In Providence, RI
- Australia's Jeff Riseley Blogs About Coming Up Just Short At The Penn Relays
Lukas Verzbicas Will Do World Junior Triathlon In Beijing In September To Honor His Triathlon Friend Who Has Cancer It'll be interesting to see how that fits in with his freshman XC season at Oregon.
Non-Diamond League Weekend Track Action
- Kawasaki: IAAF Recap: Lolo Jones Doubles Back From Doha To Win 100 Hurdles In 12.92
- Guadeloupe: WR Holder Dayron Robles Wins 110 Hurdles In Season Debut With 13.35 US's two-time World Champs silver medallist Lashinda Demus set a
world-leading time in the 400m hurdles with 54.92.
Three World Leads At Jamaica International Invitational Carmelita Jeter defended her title and set world lead in the 100 with 10.86, Kenia Sinclair set world lead in the 800 with 1:58.41 just ahead of Phoebe Wright, who ran 1:59.98. World/Olympic champ Melaine Walker won 400m hurdles in a world-leading 55.60. World champ Kerron Clement was upstaged in the 400m hurdles by Justin Gaymon, who won with 48.58 to Clement's 48.74. Nickel Ashmeade set a WL in the 200 in 19.96, beating Asafa Powell, who "limped home last in 21.40." *IAAF Recap
- Jamaica's 400 Hurdler Danny McFarlane Is Almost 39 Years Old, But Still Going Strong And Looking To Break Record For The Most World Champs Appearances He's currently tied the record at 9 and shooting for a 10th. Even though he has won multiple Olympic medals, he still isn't satisfied and aspires to a World Champs individual title.
- Usain Bolt's Training Partner, Yohan Blake, Runs Wind-Aided 9.80 To Win Jamaica International Invy 100m *MB: Blake 9.80 in 100 in Jamaica looking Bolt like
- Catching Up With Sanya Richards-Ross Before JN/Jamaica International Invitational
Diamond League #1 In Doha In The Books *Results *Photos *3k Highlights
Yenew Alamirew's 7:27 3k Highlights 10 World Leaders To Start Diamond League Season In Qatar The meet saw Allyson Felix continue her winning ways in the 400m,
Olympic 1,500m champ Asbel Kiprop get the win in the 800, Walter Dix burst back on the scene with an impressive 20.06 200m and
American Jesse Williams win the high jump with a gutsy performance. The highlight for distance fans, however, was the men's 3,000m, where the young
20-year-old Ethiopian Yenew Alamirew (who burst
on the scene last year out of nowhere, running 7:28 in Milan) opened up his 2011 outdoor campaign with a strong final 200m to pull away from former world champ Eliud Kipchoge to get the win in a fast 7:27.26 win and PR, as the first 6 men all set personal bests and 12 men ran under 7:35.
- Capital Sports Recap: 1,500 World Leader Nixon Chepseba Wins Over Fastest 1,500 Man From Last Year, Silas Kiplagat
- SA Record Holder LJ van Zyl (48.11) Leads Countryman Cornel Fredericks (48.43) To A 1-2 Finish In 400 Hurdles Former World Champ Bershawn Jackson was 3rd in 48.44.
- Bershawn Jackson Shrugs Off 3rd Place Finish In Doha 400 Hurdles
- European Athletics Recap Of Doha: Ukraine's Anna Mishchenko Takes 1,500m In 4:03.00
- Olympic Bronze Medallist Walter Dix Sets World Lead In 200m At 20.06 Dix after race: "Walter Dix is reloaded! ... I'm aiming high in Daegu and I can tell you that everyone is beatable."
- Daily Nation Recap Of Doha: Asbel Kiprop Wins 800 In 1:44.74
- Allyson Felix Has To Fight Until End To Defeat Amantle Montsho In Doha In 400
- Yenew Alamirew The Star In Doha
- OTC's Jesse Williams' Gutsy Performance Wins High Jump After Cyprus' Ioannou cleared on his 3rd attempt, Williams cleared as well to get the win.
- Kellie Wells Wins 100m Hurdles Over 6 Other Americans To Stay Undefeated In 2011
- Lolo Jones Battled Adversity Growing Up And Now Nerve Problems (She Finished 3rd In Doha)
Healthy Kidney 10k Is Next Saturday
World's Two Fastest 10k Road Runners In History, Leonard Patrick Komon And Micah Kogo, Will Clash Next Weekend In Central Park At UAE Healthy Kidney Bobby Curtis will lead the American charge in a totally stacked race that also includes Moses Masai, Abdi, Tim Nelson, Ben St. Lawrence, Lelisa Desisa and Shawn Forrest.
Introducing PowerBar's High Performance Sustained Release Beta-Alanine Supplement (Sponsored Post)
Learn How PowerBar's High Performance Beta-Alanine Supplement May Help You Run Faster Beta-alanine supplementation is scientifically proven to increase muscle carnosine levels. Carnosine helps with the buffering in lactic acid. Scientific studies indicated that beta-alanine supplementation may lead to increased athletic performance. PowerBar's new High Intensity Beta-Alanine product takes the guess work out of beta-alanine supplementaion. Click here for more on this new product that may help you run faster.
Post-Stanford 10,000 News
- A Brief (But Great) Chat With Bobby Curtis The top American at Stanford in the 10k talks about going after the 27:00 barrier and training under Marcus O'Sullivan but borrowing stuff from Nic Bideau, Terrence Mahon and Zap Fitness. He did zero doubles in college but now does them 6 days a week.
- After Pacing At Stanford, Chris Solinsky Looks Back On Record Run & Talks About How A Stitch Caused Him To Be Off Pace
- Sally Kipyego (& Many Kenyans) Are Experts At Recovery Wejo would agree, as he once lived with Patrick Kiptum and was amazed at how still he could be after a run.
- France's Steeple Record Holder Bob Tahri Says Fact He Had To Lead 10 Laps At Stanford Cost Him Chance At National Record In 10,000 Someone will have to check the tape to see if he actually led for 10 laps, but we agree that the rabbiting didn't last long enough and no one wanted to lead after Solinsky stopped setting the pace.
- Proof That The Japanese Know How To Marathon Way Better Than The US: Stat Of The Day: 3 Japanese 2:09 Marathoners Ran 10ks Last Week & Two Set PRs And The Fastest Was A 28:24 At Stanford Additionally, the article talks about how their amateur 2:08 marathoner did a 3 x 5k race/workout last week all under 15:00 - 14:58, 14:48, 14:21.
Week In Review
LRC The Good, The Bad, And Everything Else From the hot relay action at Penn to the excellent distance action at Stanford and even the sprints (and mile) at Drake, we've got it covered. Along the way we go ga-ga for Colorado coach Mark Wetmore and his new recruit Ammar Moussa as well as Jordan Hasay and Kenia Sinclair before we talk about how weak the men's DMR was at Penn this year. Plus, most importantly, our analysis of Desiree Davila's first pitch at the Tigers Game and how it compares to Carl Lewis.
Races To Look Forward To
- Tyson Gay To Run 150m On Straight Track On May 15th In The UK
- Boston Marathon Champs Caroline Kilel & Geoffrey Mutai To Run Inaugural Boston Athletic Association 10K On June 26
- Well Said Asafa Powell Says For Track To Be Popular There Must Be Head-To-Head Meetings Of Top Stars We agree they can't clash only at global championships but at the same time the clashes should be rare or there will be little drama at Worlds.
LRC Another Great Stanford Meet Is In The Books The 2011 Payton Jordan meet did not disappoint, as 22 runners got under the Olympic A standard in the men's and women's 10,000, as the "star" Americans in
Matt Tegenkamp and Shalane Flanagan got beaten. In the men's 10k, the winner was 20-year-old Bedan Karoki,
whose breathtaking move with more than seven laps to go instantly ended the race, which was the first one in American history where three Americans broke 27:30 (led by Bobby Curtis). In the men's 1,500, German Fernandez's struggles continued in the B heat (is it officially time to panic?), while Lopez Lomong and Evan Jager returned to action in the A heat that was won by Ben Blankenship. In the ladies' 1,500, Jordan Hasay got a PR and collegiate leader
finished 5th. The
story of the steeple was that Mark Wetmore-coached athletes shined and got the Olympic A standards, as Emma Coburn impressed from the opening moment of the race while Billy Nelson waited until late to unleash an incredibly impressive kick. In the men's 5k, Elliott Heath's unreal kick wasn't quite enough to get him the win, as seven broke 13:30. Read all about as we recap the top action for you.
*HS Senior Ammar Moussa Runs 14:05 To Win Heat In Payton Jordan 5k
*Athletics Weekly Recap Of Stanford 10k: Brit Chris Thompson Runs Fastest UK Time In 13 Years With 27:27
*IAAF Recap Of Payton Jordan 10k
*Register Guard Recap Of Payton Jordan Meet
*MB: Teg, Nelson 27:28, 13 under 'A' standard!
*Bobby Curtis 27:24, you all saw that right?
*Jordan Hasay 4:10
Saturday At Penn *Penn Results *Official Site *Photos
Saturday At Penn (Reuters Recap) The carnival that is Penn is always crazy (and hard to recap). Saturday saw Jamaica's Kenia Sinclair run a 1:57.06 split to nearly set the world record in the sprint medley relay, Robby Andrews getting revenge for his loss to Casimir Loxsom at World Juniors by outkicking him to win the 4 x 800, Princeton gets its first Championship of America title in 71 years by winning the 4 x mile, a great pro DMR where Bernard Lagat (2:48.30) and Ryan Gregson (Aussie who turned 21 this week, in his first race back from a navicular stress fracture) had great first legs, and things came down to a 4-way battle on the anchor and Amine Laalou came from behind for the win, plus Allyson Felix winning 2 relays, Asafa Powell leading Jamaica, and even the return of Justin Gatlin. Individual coverage of these stories below:
- NY Times: Gatlin Looking To Outrun Competition And Suspicions USATF spokeswoman Jill Geer explains the Catch 22 of the doping world: "If he runs as fast as he did before, people will think he must be doping now. If he doesn't run as fast as he did in the past, people will say that was evidence that he really was doping and cheating."
- Robby Andrews Uses His Patented Kick To Win Penn 4 X 800 Over Casimir Loxsom *Video Of Final 200
More On Andrews: "As soon as he gets the stick, it's over."
- Princeton's Mark Amirault Roars By Arkansas' Duncan Phillips To Give Princeton Its First Championship Of America Title In 71 Years
- Message Board Thread On Pro DMR
- Allyson Felix Leads US To 2 Wins, Asafa Powell Leads Jamaican 4 X 100 Team To Win, Kenia Sinclair's 1:57.06 Split Nearly Gets Sprint Medley World Record
- Duke Gets A 4 X 800 Wheel
News From Europe
- Former HJ World Record Holder Patrik Sjoberg Says He Was Sexually Abused By His Coach Despite the abuse, he respected him as a coach. "I hated him for everything he did to me but at the same time, you can't take away from him that he was a great coach. I thought that I couldn't train with anyone else." *2nd Article On Sexual Abuse
Meb Running New York 69 Days Before Olympic Trials
LRC: Meb Attempting New York / Olympic Trials Double Meb Keflezighi joined the live NYRR 2011 ING New York City Marathon "Opening Day" show from Columbus Circle to announce he was running this year's marathon, 69 days before the US Olympic Trials in Houston (in 2004, Meb did the Olympic
New York double 70 days apart). Meb will take on defending champ Gebre Gebremariam, while defending women's champ Edna Kiplagat will face Jen Rhines. Athletes Apolo Anton Ohno and Curtis Granderson were on hand for the marathon kickoff along with celebrities Al Roker and Ed Norton.
*USA Today Article Meb also reveals that he is recovered from knee injury he sustained right before NYC Half that occurred during an "altercation with a dog in Central Park."
US/NCAA Track Action - Results: *Jesse Owens Classic *ACC Results *Oregon Relays *Princeton Larry Ellis *Arkansas McDonnell Invy
Craziness At The ACC Meet: Florida State NCAA Long Jump Champion Ngoni Makusha Runs Legal 9.97 In His First 100m In 4 Years, Florida State Storms Back For 7th Straight Title Makashua had never run a 100m in college until the ACC meet, and he ran 9.97 for the win. Simply amazing. Florida State pulled out all the stops to storm back from 40 points down to win the title. Makusha wasn't even the meet MVP, as Maurice Mitchell got it after his 20.17 in the 200m and runner-up in the 100m. *Thread here. However, distance fans will be most impressed by Irishman Ciaran O'Lionaird (see below).
LRC John Kellogg Explains How He "Predicted" The Unpredictable - A Sub-2:03:59 In Boston LetsRun.com's coaching guru explains the rationale behind his non-prediction that is making waves around the globe. Years of timed out-and-back and straight-shot tempos with the wind in Waco, Texas (and other windy Texas venues) proved invaluable to his understanding the effects of the wind. JK took a stab at converting the Boston performances by Mutai and Hall to London and Berlin and even reveals what would happen if the Boston Mutai raced the London Mutai.
LRC Week In Review: 13 Thoughts About The 2011 Virgin London And Boston Marathons We try to give out some thoughts about a glorious two days of marathoning. From it not being a good two days for North American-based debutants or US Olympic women, to Ryan Hall never runs a bad marathon, to stats showing how the wind helped the mid-packers, to you couldn't find two more deserving winners than the Mutais. All of that plus we give out our top contenders for the 2012 Olympic medals and praise Caroline Kilel while talking about kissing Dave Bedford's ***
The Sport Loses A Legend *Grete Waitz's NYC Marathon Results
Grete Waitz Loses Battle With Cancer Waitz is best known for being a 9-time New York City Marathon champion, a class act, and a pioneer in the sport, but she also was a 4:00 1,500m runner and an 8:31 3,000m
runner. As a kid, watching her on ABC win
NYC every year was one of the site founders' earliest running memories. She will be missed. Thanks to Leo Kulinski for the photo. Another one here.
*Pay Your Respects In This Thread
*Grete Waitz: In The Long Run, A Legacy Of Triumph For Women And Sport
*IAAF: Grete Waitz, Distance Running Legend, Passes Away
*The Independent: Norwegian Marathon Legend Grete Waitz Dies Of Cancer At Age 57
*Runner's World: Remembering Grete Waitz
*Runner's World: 2005: When We First Learned Of Grete Waitz's Battle With Cancer
Virgin London Marathon *Watch Full Race On Demand *Photos
LRC Emmanuel Mutai Runs The Best 10km Ever In A Marathon To Destroy The Field & Arrive As One Of The World's Best
A lead pack that was a who's who of marathoning went through 30km together, but soon the race would be nothing but a coronation for Emmanuel Mutai, who destroyed the field with a 28:44 4th 10k and ended up with a 2:04:40 course record. Almost as big of a story as Mutai's
incredible run was the fact that the 2nd placer ended up being one of the all-time greats - Martin Lel - who shocked even himself in his first marathon since Beijing 2008. American Jason Lehmkuhle was the only elite American finisher as the three rookie American marathoners went out too fast and blew up - none worse than Mo Trafeh, who ran with the lead pack for 15 km.
LRC Women's Marathoning Has A New Star Named Mary Keitany Keitany knocked nearly 10 minutes off her personal best and knocked Liliya Shobukhova off her pedestal as the best in the world, as Keitany ran the first sub-2:20 since 2008 and made mincemeat of "undoubtedly" of the strongest women's field in London history. All together, a record 22 women broke 2:30 - but that didn't include US Olympian Magdalena Lewy-Boulet.
April Fools News
Sad News: Sally Meyerhoff Killed In Cycling Accident The two-time All-American and US Olympic Trials qualifier as well former US champion at 25km was killed on Tuesday in a cycling accident at the young age of 27 while she trained for the Ironman World
Championship. *LRC MB: Sad News: Sally Meyerhoff Killed in Accident
*Abc15.com Article With Video On Meyerhoff's Death
*Ahwatukee.com Article On Meyerhoff's Death
*New York Road Runners Article
*More Sad News: Florida High School Track Athlete Sarah Landauer Dies After Collapsing At Practice
Distance Races At 2011 Pre Classic To Be Run Under Lights And Free To Public!!! Tom Jordan is right in saying he has assembled "the best fields ever on American soil," as marathon aces Asbel Kirui and Moses Mosop will go after the men's world record at 25k and 30k, Dibaba, Cheruiyot, Masai and Flanagan will race the women's 5k and 7 Ethiopians and 12 Kenyans are scheduled to go out in 13:18 in the men's 10k. *LRC MB: A Look At Who's Running What In The Magical Distance Races At The 2011 Pre Classic
Dean Karzanes Completes Run Across America In 75 Days It's hard to not make fun of Dean for being a PR hound, but the guy averaged between 40 and 50 miles per day.
- AP: Usain Bolt's Agent Says He Is Very Ready For 2011 As "Everything has gone very, very well over the winter." Apparently some were worried Bolt was behind on his training, as he hasn't competed this year, but that's not the case according to Ricky Simms.
- Usain Bolt To Run 100m In Ostrava On May 31st
- Morons In Britain Still Continue To Tax Sports Stars At 50% Rate On Endorsement Income & As A Result, Usain Bolt Won't Race There Until 2012 Apparently, they won't go after the 50% during the Olympic year. *LRC MB: Proof from Track & Field that high taxes decrease economic activity
- Italy's Top Long Jumper Andrew Howe Raises Eyebrows With European-Leading 45.70 400m Run People seem to be forgetting that long jumpers are almost always really fast and in this case, Howe is a former world junior champ at 200m who has 200m PR of 20.28 from 2004.
More News From Oregon
- Oregon Men Up 11 Points After Multis At PAC-10s
- Recommended Read: Oregon's David Klech, Who Was Once Confined To A Wheelchair As A Result Of Guillain-Barre Syndrome, Gets 2nd In 2nd-Ever Decathlon A great story for the 5th year guy.
- Runners With 33 All-American Honors Are On Sidelines Due To Injuries At Oregon A coach's first duty is to "do no harm."
This Upcoming Weekend
Diamond League #2 In Shanghai: Vivian
Cheruiyot Vs. Linet Masai At 5,000m, Veronica Campbell Brown Vs.
Carmelita Jeter At 100m, Liu Xiang Vs. David Oliver At 110m Hurdles Plus Asafa Powell in the 100m. *A Look At The Australians That Are Competing In Sunday's Diamond League Event
Pittsburgh: Pittsburgh Marathon Attracting Americans With Its Olympic Trials Qualifier Payouts
UK: Commonwealth 10,000m Champ Grace Momanyi To Run BUPA Great Manchester Run This Sunday
Upcoming: Usain Bolt To Run 100m May 31st In Ostrava
Weekend Action We Didn't Cover Yesterday
- Abera Kuma (Guy DQed At World XC For Getting In Fight) Wins Ethiopian 5k Title
- The Great White Hope Lemaitre Runs 20.33 Into 2.2 mps Headwind
- Husky Stadium Which Hosted 3 US Champs, 1990 Goodwill Games Hosts Its Last Track Meet
After Anchoring Penn DMR Win, Amine Laalou Is Now Thinking Of 1,500m Gold In Daegu He ran 3:29 last year for 1,500m.
Conference Champs - Schedules/Results/Recaps At USTFCCA
Heps *Men Results *Women Results *Flotrack Videos *Photo Gallery
*Hepstrack.com is the best place to go for meet coverage and results.
*Princeton Men Win Ivy League Title In what was an extremely close meet, Princeton ended Cornell's unprecedented 8-year winning streak winning by 11 pts, 197 to 186.
*Princeton Women Secure 2011 Crown Point totals were close among the top teams, with Princeton winning with 132 points to Cornell's 113 and Brown's 101.
*Women's Heptagonal Championships Report, Day 1
*Princeton Men Hold Day One Lead Of Ivy League Champs
*Cornell Strikes In 10k; Brown Holds Women's Lead At Ivy League Champs
Big East *Results *Meet Central *Men Results *Women Results
*Connecticut Men, Louisville Women Capture Big East Champs Titles Villanova's Sheila Reid battled Georgtown's Emily Infeld in both the 1,500 and 5k, with Reid coming out on top in both. She won the 1,500 in 4:23.98 to Infeld's 4:25.00 and the 5k in 16:13.29 to Infeld's 16:14.06.
*Louisville Men And Women Both On Top After 2nd Day Of Big East Champs On 2nd of three days, Syracuse's Tito Medrano won the 10k in 29:34. Lousiville's Matt Hughes won the steeplechase in 8:44.
*Day 1 Recap
Weekend Road Results
- Düsseldorf Marathon: Nahashon Kimaiyo And Merima Mohammed Beat The Heat And Field Many suffered and DNFed due to the heat (even the rabbit dropped out earlier than expected), but Nahashon Kimaiyo and Merima Mohammed stayed tough, winning by huge margins in 2:10:54 and 2:28:15 respectively. *IAAF Preview
- BIG 25k Berlin: World Leads By Mathew Kisorio & Filomena Chepchirchir Kisorio's time of 1:12:13 is the 3rd-best 25k all-time and misses Samuel Kosgei's world best time by only 23 seconds.
- Prague Marathon: Kenya's Lydia Cheromei Smashes PCR By Three Minutes With 2:22:34 Benson Barus wins men's race in 2:07:07. *AP Article
*SA's Rene Kalmer Qualifies For World Champs By Finishing 5th In Prague Marathon Despite Leg Injury
- Controversy Continues To Surround Lebo Phalula: Nelson Mandela Bay Spar Women's 10k Challenge: Barefoot Runner Lebo Phalula Wins Disputed Race After A Competitor Accused Her Of Cutting A Corner She won with 33:34 to Irvette van Blerk's 33:38. Apparently, video showed she did cut the corner, but since it wasn't marked off that she couldn't run there, officials could not penalize her. Phalula is the same runner who tried to grab the microphone at the SA Champs to rant about the unfairness of Caster Semenya competing.
Non-College US News
*Profile On Nick Arciniaga, Who Will Run The Marathon At World Champs This Summer Arciniaga's father: "Virtually every evening before Nick races, the anticipation of the potential outcome is as nerve wracking and exciting as the feelings I felt as child waiting for Santa. It is that awesome. I get so high in the excitement waiting for the race to start that I cannot sleep; whether I follow the race in person, or on the internet."
*Dathan Ritzenhein Partnering With Gatorade
*A Brief Chat With Brandon Bethke, Who Won The Payton Jordan 5k In 13:25.82
*Pittsburgh Marathon Offering Monetary Incentives To Those That Hit Olympic Trials Standard
Oregon Twilight *Results *Photo Gallery
Oregon Twilight OTC Defeats U Of Oregon DMR The highlight of the meet was the
frat 4 x 100, men's DMR. We're big fans of AJ Acosta, but he was no match for Andrew Wheating on the anchor. This was Wheating's first race since last
summer (he had a calf
injury this winter).
*Ashton Eaton Sets Oregon Twlight 110 Hurdles Record; OTC Elite Win DMR With 9:26.07 Over OU's School Record Of 9:28.01
*The Oregonian Recaps Some Events From Oregon Twilight Meet Oregon women ran into some trouble in their 4 x 1 as they came almost to a complete stop during an exchange. 3rd leg English Gardner said, "It's a little nerve-wracking when you have to run away from Amber Purvis (school 200 record-holder) ... I did leave a little bit early, I guess. I got nervous. ... She yelled at me, 'Stop!' I was like, 'OK. Sorry.'"
*Oregon's Anne Kesselring Has The NCAA And European Lead In The 800 (2:02.44) And Could Represent Germany At The Euro U23 Championships
- WR TJ Holder Jonathan Edwards Names Frenchman Teddy Tamgho (Not Countryman Phillips Idowu) As Most Likely To Break His World Record Of 18.29m
- NZ's Double Commonwealth Games Silver Medallist (800/1500) Nikki Hamblin Feeling Optimistic After Making Coaching Change
- Profile On 400m Runner Debbie's Dunn Who Left Jamaica At Age-13 And Now Runs For The US
- Qatar Confident About Winning 2017 World Champs Bid Qatar Athletics Federation Pres.: "[The government] want to make a healthy and educated generation. It's better than building an army. An army is not a good investment in the people. People are more valuable than buying weapons and putting them into storage."
- Durban, South Africa Wants To Host 2020 Olympics
US Distance News
- Evan Jager Says He Will Not Run The 5,000 This Year
- NCAA Indoor 5,000m Champ Jackie Areson Joins Alberto Salazar's Oregon Project
A Different Kind Of Marathon: Inaugural Gaza Marathon
Gaza Marathon Held The race had a bunch of kids running relays, but only 9 people in the full marathon. How about this quote: "The people find it strange - if they see someone running, they think they are crazy. Usually Palestinians only run when there are air strikes or when they are frightened."
*Gaza Marathon Photos *More Photos
3 Articles That Might Be Worth Reading
- Recommended Read: The Independent Catches Up With The Great Paula Radcliffe - Even Olympic Gold In 2012 Won't End Her Career Radcliffe talks about how childbirth has changed her and her fitness. "I can definitely run a sub-2:20. Whether I can run sub-2:15 I don't know."
- Recommended Read USC Hurdler & National Leader Nia Ali Is On Comeback Trail After Shutting Down After Her Father's Murder-Suicide Rocked Her World (And All Of Philadelphia) Ali's father had been trying to contact her for months but she didn't respond and then there was huge guilt after he did a murder-suicide.
- Spurned Ex-Track Coach Is One Who Initiated Boise State NCAA Investigation A former track assistant snitched on a bunch of tiny infractions and now, sadly, while players at Auburn get paid cash and nothing happens, the Boise State football team will be punished in a big way for letting its football players sleep on couches before the dorms open, as they've been cited with a lack of "institutional control."
Interesting Distance News
Dathan Ritzenhein Talks About His Comeback From Surgery He's running 70 miles a week on the Alter-G treadmill and hasn't given up hope of running the US track champs. And we liked this exchange with his wife after Boston. Wife: "It's okay if you're in a bad mood today." Dathan: "Why would I be in a bad mood because everybody ran well?" Wife: "Because
you weren't there to be able to do it."
Kevin Hanson And Desiree Davila Talking Boston At Ceremony Honoring Her In Michigan
Drake Saturday *Drake Results *Photos *Newspaper Special Section
LRC 2011 Drake Relays Recap: Boaz Lalang Wins 2011 Drake Relays Mile Over Alan Webb, Who Is Fourth Webb, the American record holder, got the short end of the stick in the final sprint between Kenyan Olympian Lalang, NCAA breakout star Chris O'Hare and World Champs semi-finalist Peter Van Der Westhuizen. In other action, Jenny Barringer went wire-to-wire
in the 1,500, Jeremy Wariner
won the 400m and Adam Nelson went over 70 feet for the first time in 3 years to show he could be a factor in 2011.
On The Boards: Alan Webb Gets 4th At Drake, Boaz Lalang Wins
*Lolo Jones Upstaged For 3rd Straight Year At Drake
*IAAF: Adam Nelson's 21.39 Heave One Of The Highlights Of Drake Relays
*University Of Mississippi's Ellis Moore Wins Drake Relays 400m Hurdles Title For 2nd Year In A Row
More Drake From Des Moines Register: Men's Recap: Jeremy Wariner Cruises, Boaz Lalang Defeats Alan Webb
*Lolo Jones Gets Support From Home Crowd But Comes Up Short
Boston Marathon *Live Boston Thread *Women's Reaction *Men's Reaction
*Video Highlights *Weather *Photos
One For The Ages In Boston: Desiree And The Fastest Marathon Ever Run "Unbelievable" is probably the best way to describe the 2011 Boston Marathon.
Davila, off the back of the lead pack multiple times, was gutsy as hell,
battling for the win with Caroline Kilel down the final straight. There were 4 lead changes on the final straight before Kilel came out on top. In the men's race, American Ryan Hall ran 2:04:57 and lost by nearly 2 minutes. Yes, ladies and gentleman, Geoffrey
Mutai and Moses Mosop ran faster than anyone else ever before the in the marathon, 2:03:02 and 2:03:06 respectively, thanks in part to 20 mph tailwinds. Mutai cemented his status as the strongest runner on the planet with the win. We give you some post-race comments below but purposely are holding off discussing the wind.
LRC: Wejo Speaks: Desiree Davila Inspires Us All At The 2011 Boston Marathon She had the entire press room and Alberto Salazar yelling for her.
LRC: Men's Post-Race Reaction The top 4 were all pleased with their blazing fast times. Ryan Hall summed up the magical day: "I am running 2:04 pace and I can't even see the leaders."
LRC: 2011 Boston Marathon Post-Race Reaction From Desiree, Caroline And Kara
*Video Highlights *Men's Post-Race Reaction/Interviews *Women's Post-Race Comments/Interviews
Webb Coaching Search
Not So Fast: LRC Julia Webb: Alan Webb HAS NOT FINALIZED PLANS To Head Back To Virginia To Be Coached By Jason Vigilante
Steve Nearman Stands Behind His Story
Steve Nearman, the former Washington Times reporter who first broke the story about Webb's pro contract in 2002, reported Wednesday night that sources (plural) close to Webb confirmed that Alan was going to be coached by UVA's Jason Vigilante and we said, "Nearman can be trusted." Well, Nearman is trusted in the industry, but Alan's wife Julia Webb has written and said, "Just wanted to give you a heads up that the story is definitely not true ... we are still looking at the options. No decisions made although Vig (is) still a good option." We contacted Nearman and relayed him Julia's comments and he said, "I stand by my story and I stand by my sources."
*RRW: Alan Webb's Agent Ray Flynn Calls Webb Story "Totally Bogus" In reality, Flynn said the story is "at this stage totally bogus."
*LRC MB: *Julia Webb (Alan's wife) Has Written and Said Webb to UVA Story is Not Accurate *Thread On Webb-Vig
- LRC: Desiree Davila Looking For Respect In Boston Davila finished one spot behind Kara Goucher at the last World Championships in the marathon, and she's hoping to finally
out of Kara's shadow at Monday's Boston Marathon. LetsRun.com has spent the last six years getting a mole into the Hansons-Brooks team, and now thanks to him we have this inside look at Desiree's preparations for Boston, which has included a 123-mile week. Article and video interview plus some video of the Hansons-Brooks training runs.
South African Champs *Results (Scroll Down)
- Caster Semenya Does 800m/1,500m Double At S. African Champs (2:02 And 4:12) Her first minor test at 1,500m was successful.
- S. African Outdoor Champs: Olympic Silver Medallist Khotso Mokoena Wins Long Jump, Blade Runner Doesn't Make Final
- S. African Hammer Throw Champ Chris Harmse Wins His 16th-Straight National Title The Commonwealths champ can never compete in the Olympics because the hammer is always on Sunday, and for religious reasons, he can't compete on Sunday (Eric Liddell would approve).
2011 World XC *Results *New Women's Race Photos *New Men's Race Photos
LRC: Shalane Flanagan Gets Bronze The Olympic bronze medallist and ING NYC Marathon runner-up ran a stellar race to snatch the bronze versus a star-studded field. Flanagan appeared to be dropped with 2km to go, but dug deep to stay in contention and battle back for the bronze. World 5,000m champ Vivian Cheruiyot pulled away from World 10,000m
Linet Masai for gold. The American women did very well to get a repeat bronze medal.
Men: Imane Merga Blasts Away From Four Kenyans In Sprint To Win The Kenyan men dominated the team competition and had 4 of the top 5 guys in the pack for the sprint the final 400m. However, the lone Ethiopian - Imane Merga, the Diamond League 5,000m champion - got the win the Kenyan nation wants most every year. Ben True was the first American in 36th, as he and fellow Ivy Leaguer Max King were America's two best.
*Merga: "Before I used to think of myself as a track runner but this winter I have got to like cross-country races more."
*Craig Mottram Finishes As Top Non-Afrrican Born Male In 21st As Two Guys Ahead Of Him Are DQed For Fighting In Race To Line Eritrea's Samuel Tsegay and Ethiopia's Abera Kuma were given the DQ.
Junior Boys: Geoffrey Kipsang Leads Kenya To 13th Straight Title Kipsang was only 4th at the Kenyan Trials but dominated. High schooler Craig Lutz was the first American in 29th.
Junior Girls: Faith Kipyegon Of Kenya Wins, But Ethiopia Edges Them For Team Title High schooler Aisling Cuffe was the first American in 17th.
Other Nationals *NCAA D3 Champs *NCAA D2 Champs *HS Nationals Results *Photos
HS: Lukas V. Runs Away From The Top Milers To Complete Historic High School Nationals Triple His double on Sunday was super-impressive, but we had completely forgotten about German
8:34 double at the California state meet.
*IAAF Article On Verzbicas
We Wrote This Article Too Soon:
Gerry Lindgren's Legendary 47-Year-Old High School National Record Survives Scare From Lukas Verzbicas And Edward Cheserek Verzbicas hammered home over the final lap to pull away from Cheserek, but in the end, Lindgren's 8:40.0 lived to see another day, as Verzbicas ran 8:40.70 and Cheserek shattered the indoor and overall sophomore class records with his 8:42.66. More: Gerry Lindgren 8:40 Indoors *LRC MB Lukas V. 8:40.7!! *LRC MB So close *Running Times Q&A With Lindgren About His 8:40.0 Note: This article incorrectly implies the record was set in a 16-lap race.
*Lucas Verzbicas (14:06.78) & (Waverly Neer) 16:35.15 Set National HS 5,000 Records
Tokyo Marathon: A Legend Is Born *Photos
Hailu Mekonnen Wins, Japanese Amateur Yuki Kawauchi Runs Amazing 2:08:37 For 3rd And Faints At Finish Yuki Kawauchi's story is amazing.
A 13:59 5ker and 29:02 10ker, he has a full-time job and has stayed away from the Japanese collegiate and professional system, yet he stunned all of Japan with a 2:08:37 run. Dreams do become reality.
*On The Boards: 13:59 5k, 29:02 10k Japanese AMATEUR Runs 2:08:37 at Tokyo Marathon and Passes Out
Records For Rupp And Farah *Video Of Rupp's And Farah's Race
Galen Rupp & Mo Farah Set National 5k Records!
(13:11.44 and 13:10.60) The two Alberto Salazar-coached athletes put on a brave battle, with Farah coming out on top on the last lap, as Rupp regained his American record from Bernard Lagat by .06. Rupp and Farah will be training together through 2012 and their partnership is off to a strong start. Rupp is scheduled to go for the American 10k record next week in New Zealand. The meet also saw a cool 400m hurdles race (video
here or on the right), an 8:30 3k and American Morgan Uceny going sub-2:00 in the 800.
*Mo Farah Breaks British 5,000m Record With His New Coach Alberto Salazar One Of The 8,000 In Attendance Telegraph.co.uk
*Farah Credits Salazar's Coaching
*Rupp/Farah 5k Video
The 10 Best High School XC Runners Ever
LRC Week That Was: The 10 Best High School XC Runners Of All Time, Verzbicas, Tribute To Gary Reed, The NY Times & The NE Patriots And More We've got the entire running world covered from San Diego to Japan, from the high school ranks to the pros, and even talk about the NE Patriots and the NY Times.
A Club Saving Lives
USATF Profile On Wings Of America XC Club The Club is coached by coached by former NAU runner Shaun Martin, brother of twin NCAA XC All-Americans Tim and Theo, and literally is saving lives. Documentary Trailer on the club below.
Even If You Have No Interest In Watching Someone Work Out, Wacthing Lagat Run Is Poetry
If You Were Gone Over The Weekend - Diamond League Gets Underway: Yenew Alamirew Kicks Some Butt In Doha 3,000m (Final Lap Or Highlight Of Race, More Here, Meet Recap Here)
Allyson Felix Wins Doha 400
Highlights Of Exciting High Jump In Doha, Won By American Jesse Williams
Walter Dix 20.06 In Doha
Stanford Photo Gallery
*Bernard Lagat Says He Wants To Run 12:49 "In my head, I have just put all eggs into that one basket. Monaco. 5,000 meters. If I don't get it there, I don't know when I will get it. It's good to aim high because to me 12:49 is the highest I can put it now."
*IAAF Daegu World Challenge Preview: Recent Drake Relays Mile Champ Boaz Lalang Vs. World 1,500m Champ Yusuf Saad Kamel In The 800 David Oliver in 110 hurdles and Carmelita Jeter in 100m also headline field.
Week In Review
LRC Week That Was: Praise For Kara And Desiree, Dirt Tracks In America, German Fernandez And Mental Barriers As you recover from Boston and London and get ready for Penn, Drake, and Stanford, we have some praise for Kara Goucher and Desiree Davila's sportsmanship, look at some young American milers struggling, and much more.
London 2011 Photos
Andrew Bumbalough Thriving In 1st Year As Pro One Year After Getting Mono And Nearly Being Left Out Of Nike's Plans This is an unbelievably good piece of writing for a college newspaper. It also reveals he's gotten his mileage up to 90 per week from 65 to 70 in college.
Boston (Updated Photo Gallery Below) *Recap Analysis: *JK On The Wind *Wejo On Desiree *Rojo *London And Boston *Video Highlights
2:03:02 In Boston: Men's Highlights From Boston (More Here)
Desiree Davila Pure Guts
Emmanual Mutai Becomes A Star, Legend Martin Lel Outkicks Makau (You Can Watch The Full Race Here)
Mary Keitany Crushes London (Highlights And Post Race Comments)
Question Of The Day?
Train Smarter (More In The Training Forum)
- Scheduling Rest Days - How Often?
- stress fracture twice in same bone in 6 months...HELP
- Coaching that once-in-a-career athlete
- Is there any point doing tempo runs if your event is 3200m or shorter? Let us just chime in with an emphatic yes.
- Anyone get sick or catch a cold right after a race???
Women's World XC In Photos
Men's World XC In Photos
Train Smarter (More In The Training Forum)
- Wow, Lydiard training seems ridiculously hard
- best marathon improvement after age 40?
- How does "strength" differ from "speed" and "endurance" as a runner?
- "A runner needs a LT run every 2 to 5 days in order to not lose any aerobic ability."
Save Some Cash
Save Some Cash
- Long run, 25% of your weekly mileage?
- 5x1 mile repeats with 1:1 work/rest ratio, 10k time?
- Marathon Training Thread - Week Ending 10/17
- Could I break 33 mins. in the 10k based on this workout
- Does anybody here train using Daniels Running Formula
Universal Sports Back To Top