Penn And Drake This Week
- Penn: USA Vs. The World At Penn Relays This Week The relay members have not been announced, but Sanya Richards-Ross and Allyson Felix are mentioned.
- Oregon Women Not Challenging Villanova At Penn
- Interview With Marcus O'Sullivan Where He Explains His "Love-Hate Relationship" With Penn Relays
- Mike Holloway Talks About Demps 9.96, Upcoming Penn Relays Florida sports are so big, Mike has a press conference and there actually are people there asking questions.
- After NCAA XC Title And Indoor DMR Title, Sheila Reid Hoping To Get Penn Relays Watch At Last
Des Moines (Home Of The Drake Relays) Wants To Be Known As "Track Central USA"
European News: Elvan Abeylegesse Is Pregnant And Will Miss World Champs The Turk got silver at 5,000 and 10,000m in 2008.
Tuesday Is Last Day For Those In Europe To Order Olympic Tickets Those of us in the US are out of luck and can't order tickets.
US/NCAA Track Action - Results: *Jesse Owens Classic *ACC Results *Oregon Relays *Princeton Larry Ellis *Arkansas McDonnell Invy
Craziness At The ACC Meet: Florida State NCAA Long Jump Champion Ngoni Makusha Runs Legal 9.97 In His First 100m In 4 Years, Florida State Storms Back For 7th Straight Title Makashua had never run a 100m in college until the ACC meet, and he ran 9.97 for the win. Simply amazing. Florida State pulled out all the stops
to storm back from 40 points
down to win the title. Makusha wasn't
even the meet MVP,
as Maurice Mitchell got it after his 20.17 in the 200m and runner-up in the 100m. *Thread here. However, distance fans will be most impressed by Irishman Ciaran O'Lionaird (see below).
10k Man Ciaran O'Lionaird Beats Robby Andrews In 1,500m, Gets ACC Records In 1,500 And 5k To Lead FSU To ACC Title There was one way O'Lionaird was going to beat Andrews, and that was by running away from him - and that's what he did (barely). Ciaran built up a 5 second lead at the bell and held on barely against Andrews' patented kick for an ACC record (3:40) win (video on right of homepage or here). 2+ hours later he was back for a meet record in the 5,000m. *Thread here
More US Track Action
- Ohio State's Jesse Owens Track Classic Penn State's Casimir Loxsom won 800 in 1:46.45, Ohio State's Cory Leslie won steeple/mile in 8:51.06 and 4:02.57. *MB: Loxsom!! 1:46
- Jeremy Wariner And Sayna Richards-Ross Win 400m At The Michael Johnson Invitational On a windy day, Wariner held off Berlin bronze medalist Renny Quow in last 100m to win with 45.61 to Quow's 45.69. Richards-Ross edged past Texas A&M's Jessica Beard, winning in 52.00 to Beard's 52.37.
- The Oregonian: Sophomore Anne Kesselring Is An "Emerging NCAA 800m Title Threat"
- Profile On Louisville's NCAA Steeple Champion Matt Hughes And His Ambitions For The Future
- IAAF On Kansas Relays: Kellie Wells & Lauryn Williams Continue Comebacks With Wins In The 100m Hurdles (12.75) And 100m (11.10)
- OTC's Sally Kipyego Gets Women's World Lead In 1,500 With 4:06.23; A.J. Acosta & Matt Centrowitz Miss Attempt At World Champs "A" Standard The standard is 3:35.0, but even with three rabbits they were still a ways off, as Centrowitz won in 3:42.49 on a windy day.
- Recap Of Oregon's Performances At Oregon Relays: OTC's Tyler Mulder Won 800 In 1:46.79, NFL Football Player Jordan Kent Won 400m Also Geena Gall of OTC and Oregon's Anne Kesselring finished 1-2 in the women's 800 with 2:02.04 and 2:02.44. *Top Results From Oregon Relays
- Arkansas 1,500 Oklahoma State's Thomas Farrell won in 3:42.23, Chris O'Hare 2nd, Dorian Ulrey 3rd, German Fernandez in 7th with 3:44.68. MB: Ulrey vs. Fernandez Tonight 9:00 CT
- Bershawn "Batman" Jackson Wins 400 Hurdles For 6th Time At Kansas Relays In 48.98
*Olympic 200m Champ Veronica Campbell-Brown Wins Kansas Relays In 22.95
- Larry Ellis Invitational - High Schoolers Eddie Owens & Edward Cheserek Crack All-Time Lists MB: Edward Cheserek Princeton 5k 14:02 & HS'er
Eddie Owens 8:59 3k STEEPLE
Fast 10ks At Hyogo Relays
2007 World Champs Bronze Medalist Martin Mathathi Sets New 10k World Lead With 27:23.85 At Hyogo Relay Carnival (Video Included) 10,000 world lead was set on consecutive days, with Jacob Wanjuki running 27:48.74 on Saturday and Mathathi running the 27:23.85 on Sunday.
Latest Boston And London News
- Science Of Sport Guys Cite Some Major Problems With The ARRS's Analysis, Which Said Boston Was "Not Excessively Aided" See the ARRS article below.
- NY Times: The Two-Hour Marathon, A Question Of When, Not If NYRR President Mary Wittenberg: "Monday certainly introduced the concept that, in the end, perhaps pure competition would be a greater driver than more of a mechanical race. That pure instinct to race helps people truly do things that they never thought they could do. In so many sports, it's mind over body."
- Gerry Lindgren FB Post On The Boston Course Controversy
- Association Of Road Racing Statisticians Takes A Look At Boston The conclusion was the race was 1:37-1:42 faster than a normal flat course, which they don't consider "Excessively Aided."
2011 London & Boston Were So Good They Continue To Dominate The News Cycle
LRC John Kellogg Explains How He "Predicted" The Unpredictable - A Sub-2:03:59 In Boston LetsRun.com's coaching guru explains the rationale behind his non-prediction that is making waves around the globe. Years of timed out-and-back and straight-shot tempos with the wind in Waco, Texas (and other windy Texas venues) proved invaluable to his understanding the effects of the wind. JK took a stab at converting the Boston performances by Mutai and Hall to London and Berlin and even reveals what would happen if the Boston Mutai raced the London Mutai.
LRC Week In Review: 13 Thoughts About The 2011 Virgin London And Boston Marathons We try to give out some thoughts about a glorious two days of marathoning. From it not being a good two days for North
debutants or US Olympic women, to Ryan Hall never runs a bad marathon, to stats showing how the wind helped the mid-packers, to you couldn't find two more deserving winners than the Mutais. All of that plus we give out our top contenders for the 2012 Olympic medals and praise Caroline Kilel while talking about kissing Dave Bedford's ***.
LRC Rojo Speaks: Boston - Please Stop This World Record Nonsense "(Boston), you are the most historic of all the major marathons and don't need publicity stunts ... You don't need a record to validate what happened. In fact, you shouldn't want it. Your race course has character and tradition behind it - all most of the others can do is get in a contest amongst themselves for time."Sad
Alvin Harrison, Former Olympic 400m Silver Medallist (And Drug Cheat), Getting Second Chance Coaching High School Team, Drunk Drives A High School Van At Arcadia, Flips Another Car, Jailed On $50,000 Bond Less than 10 years, ago he was on Oprah. Now he could be in prison for a while (we also were surprised to read he competed for the Dominican Republic last year and ran 47 seconds).
The Sport Loses A Legend *Grete Waitz's NYC Marathon Results
Grete Waitz Loses Battle With Cancer Waitz is best known for being a 9-time New York City Marathon champion, a class act, and a pioneer in the sport, but she also was a 4:00 1,500m runner and an 8:31 3,000m
runner. As a kid, watching her on ABC win
NYC every year was one of the site founders' earliest running memories. She will be missed. Thanks to Leo Kulinski for the photo. Another one here.
*Pay Your Respects In This Thread
*Grete Waitz: In The Long Run, A Legacy Of Triumph For Women And Sport
*IAAF: Grete Waitz, Distance Running Legend, Passes Away
*The Independent: Norwegian Marathon Legend Grete Waitz Dies Of Cancer At Age 57
*Runner's World: Remembering Grete Waitz
*Runner's World: 2005: When We First Learned Of Grete Waitz's Battle With Cancer
Virgin London Marathon *Watch Full Race On Demand *Photos
LRC Emmanuel Mutai Runs The Best 10km Ever In A Marathon To Destroy The Field & Arrive As One Of The World's Best
A lead pack that was a who's who of marathoning went through 30km together, but soon the race would be nothing but a coronation for Emmanuel Mutai, who destroyed the field with a 28:44 4th 10k and ended up with a 2:04:40 course record. Almost as big of a story as Mutai's
incredible run was the fact that the 2nd placer ended up being one of the all-time greats - Martin Lel - who shocked even himself in his first marathon since Beijing 2008. American Jason Lehmkuhle was the only elite American finisher as the three rookie American marathoners went out too fast and blew up - none worse than Mo Trafeh, who ran with the lead pack for 15 km.
LRC Women's Marathoning Has A New Star Named Mary Keitany Keitany knocked nearly 10 minutes off her personal best and knocked Liliya Shobukhova off her pedestal as the best in the world, as Keitany ran the first sub-2:20 since 2008 and made mincemeat of "undoubtedly" of the strongest women's field in London history. All together, a record 22 women broke 2:30 - but that didn't include US Olympian Magdalena Lewy-Boulet.
Haile G's Back & A Winner In Vienna Only Haile G could be upset with a solo 60:18 at age of 37 years and 364 days. Happy B-Day Haile!!!
- LA Times: Barry Bonds' Trial So HuMiliating It Might Dissuade Athletes From Using Steroids "It's hard to imagine how any pro athlete, or any high school kid aspiring to be one, could look at Bonds' public disgrace and decide that taking steroids would be a good idea. Cheating doesn't just shrink sexual organs; it ravages reputations." *Barry Bonds Guilty Of Obstruction Of Justice
- Banned Coach Trevor Graham Says US Anti-Doping Agency Covering Up For US Coaches Graham coached drug cheats Justin Gatlin and Marion Jones and was given a lifetime ban by the USADA.
April Fools News
The Only Required Reading In The Industry
LRC: Week That Was: Flanagan Gets Bronze, Rupp Makes An Impressive Debut, An American Runs 2:27 At LA, And The US XC Dream Team Sure, we bet you know about Shalane Flanagan's bronze at World XC and Galen Rupp's half marathon in NYC. But we help put these in perspective and tell you about the American who ran 2:27 in LA (Amy Hastings) and wonder how well the US dream team of Lagat, Rupp, Solinsky, Tegenkamp and Ritz would do at World XC. And of course the most important news of the week, the fight at World XC.
2011 NCAA Champs *Full Results *2011 Event-By-Event Results With Splits *LRC Women's Preview *LRC Men's Preview *LRC Day 1 Photos *Video Highlights (48 Hours Only) Within Articles Or On Right
Day 2: LRC 3ks: Hasay Becomes A Legend, Heath Unleashes His Legendary Kick As of Fri. night, Jordan Hasay was viewed as the former teen prodigy who couldn't quite kick for the big one in college. Now, just as was the case for Galen Rupp two years ago, she is college distance running's biggest star, as she won the mile and then came back in the 3k to make herself into a legend by turning the tables on Sheila Reid. Stanford's Elliott Heath's kick was even more lethal, as he destroyed a super-talented men's 3k field over the final 140m. Includes last lap video coverage.
Day 2: LRC Mid-D: Hasay Gets Title #1, Batty Gets Title #2, Fred Samoei Wins A Nailbiter, And BYU's Bleazard Dominates After being outkicked in the DMR on Fri. night, Jordan Hasay outkicked the competition to grab her first NCAA title as BYU's Miles Batty completed the double in the men's mile, holding off a spirited challenge from Tulsa's Chris O'Hare. The men's 800 featured the best finish of the night as Michael Rutt's bold move to the lead 400 meters in almost held up. In the women' s 800, BYU's Lacey Bleazard won her 2nd indoor title - it's a shame the ESPN3 announcers had no idea who she was. Includes last lap video coverage.
Day 1: LRC DMR: Villanova's Reid Outkicks Oregon's Hasay, BYU's Miles Batty Holds Off Incredible 3:53 Anchor From Andy Bayer Both DMRs had great finishes. The women were first and 'Nova's Sheila
Reid and Oregon's Jordan
Hasay put on
battle for the ages. On the men's side, Andy Bayer split a sick 3:53 to take Indiana from 9th to 2nd, but it was not enough to overtake BYU's Miles Batty, as the night of incredible men's distance running continued with three sub-3:55 splits. Arizona's Lawi Lalang split 3:56.9 and his team lost 3 spots. Recap, interviews, photos, and video of last laps.
LRC 5,000m Recaps: Unheralded Leonard Korir Storms To NCAA Record, Jackie Areson Impresses, Mia Behm Surprises Everyone The men's 5,000m witnessed Iona's Leonard Korir winning a scorching-fast 5k in 13:26.01 over Sam Chelanga, as three guys broke the previous NCAA meet record. On the women's side, Jackie Areson put on a display over the last 600m and Mia Behm, who was 7th at the Big 12, shocked everyone to get 2nd.
Sad News: Sally Meyerhoff Killed In Cycling Accident The two-time All-American and US Olympic Trials qualifier as well former US champion at 25km was killed on Tuesday in a cycling accident at the young age of 27 while she trained for the Ironman World
Championship. *LRC MB: Sad News: Sally Meyerhoff Killed in Accident
*Abc15.com Article With Video On Meyerhoff's Death
*Ahwatukee.com Article On Meyerhoff's Death
*New York Road Runners Article
*More Sad News: Florida High School Track Athlete Sarah Landauer Dies After Collapsing At Practice
The Secret Is ... There Is No Secret
Spanish Doping Turns Crazy - Probe Update
Paper Says Marta Dominguez Was Framed, Possibly By Ruling Party To Detract From Their Own Problems Someone in Spain is going to have to udpate on this, as the Marta Dominguez case turned crazier, with one of the leading papers claiming she may have been framed by the government.
More Weekend Action We Didn't Mention
- Justin Gatlin 20.36 200m The drug cheat ran faster in the 200 than he did in 2010.
- Dutchman Wins Utrecht Marathon And Gets $14,000, Kenyan Is 2nd And Gets $140 People were upset that this race excluded Kenyans from the prize money (Wejo even heard a guy at a McDonald's who knew nothing about running telling his friends about the "Nigerians" being excluded from the Dutch Marathon). Guess they haven't heard about all of the US Road Championships.
- 16-Year-Old Kiwi Jacko Gill Becomes Youngest To Throw Shot Over 20 Meters
- Michael Coe Is On The Comeback Trail And He Ran 4:00.07 At Final Cal Home Meet
Continuing To Honor Grete Waitz
- NY Times On Grete Waitz: The Humanity Of The Long Distance Runner Waitz's husband: "She was Grete to the end, still more concerned about me than about herself. On Friday night after I left the hospital, she called me at home to make sure I had enough milk."
UK News/Other International
- UK's 1984 Olympic Marathon Medallist Charlie Spedding Disappointed With Legacy To Get UK Children More Fit Falling Through "I just think they've missed a huge opportunity to use the Olympic Games to involve all of the children in the country and at the same time improve the health of the country."
- Mara Yamauchi Has Moved Back To UK From Japan To Prepare For 2012 Games
*Jamaica Ahead After Opening Day In Montego Bay - CARIFTA Games, Day 1 IAAF
*Discus Thrower Traves Smikle Gets Jamaica's First Gold At CARIFTA Games
*Jamaica's Olivia James Makes Upset In 400m To Win With 52.64
*Jamaica's Jazeel Murphy Wins CARIFTA Games 100m In 10.27
- NY Times Writer Claims New IAAF Gender Rules Are Sexist And even worse, they may be a "violation of Title IX!"
- Ireland's Mark Kenneally Makes Marathon Debut With Second-Fastest Time By An Irishman In Past 3 Years With 2:17:22 Nice to see Irish distance guys stepping it up in response to Ireland's new strict "A" standard policy. Kenneally (who was still on 2:12-14 pace at 22 miles) said, "Look, 2:15 is still very achievable. I honestly wouldn't want to go to London on the 'B' standard because 2:18 simply wouldn't be good enough to be competitive in the Olympics."
- George Ntshiliza Is First South African In 8 Years To Win 56km Two Oceans Ultra-Marathon
- One We Missed: 17-Year-Old Aussie Runs 45.58 To Win Australian 400m Champs Over Commonwealth Games Gold Medalist, Sub-45 Guys
- Nice Crowds For Downtown Shot Put At Kansas Relays
- After NCAA XC Title And Indoor DMR Title, Sheila Reid Hoping To Get Penn Relays Watch At Last
- After Online Relationship With AJ Acosta, Princeton HJer Justin Frick Needed Little To Sell Him On Oregon
- Oregon 400m Freshman Mike Berry Appears To Be The Real Deal A World Jr. gold, a 3-month marijuana suspension, and now a 45.5 split.
- Penn State's Ryan Foster Has Left His Mark In State College By Winning More Big 10 Titles Than Any Penn State Athlete In History
- $4.5 Million Renovation Of LSU Track Is Complete
David Rudisha Says Training Is Going Well And He's Expecting To Do Well In Doha On May 6th, But That He's A Few Weeks Behind From Last Year
*David Rudisha Rules Out Competing At 400m or 1,500m - For Now
Boston Marathon *Live Boston Thread *Women's Reaction *Men's Reaction
*Video Highlights *Weather *Photos
One For The Ages In Boston: Desiree And The Fastest Marathon Ever Run "Unbelievable" is probably the best way to describe the 2011 Boston Marathon.
Davila, off the back of the lead pack multiple times, was gutsy as hell,
battling for the win with Caroline Kilel down the final straight. There were 4 lead changes on the final straight before Kilel came out on top. In the men's race, American Ryan Hall ran 2:04:57 and lost by nearly 2 minutes. Yes, ladies and gentleman, Geoffrey
Mutai and Moses Mosop ran faster than anyone else ever before the in the marathon, 2:03:02 and 2:03:06 respectively, thanks in part to 20 mph tailwinds. Mutai cemented his status as the strongest runner on the planet with the win. We give you some post-race comments below but purposely are holding off discussing the wind.
LRC: Wejo Speaks: Desiree Davila Inspires Us All At The 2011 Boston Marathon She had the entire press room and Alberto Salazar yelling for her.
LRC: Men's Post-Race Reaction The top 4 were all pleased with their blazing fast times. Ryan Hall summed up the magical day: "I am running 2:04 pace and I can't even see the leaders."
LRC: 2011 Boston Marathon Post-Race Reaction From Desiree, Caroline And Kara
*Video Highlights *Men's Post-Race Reaction/Interviews *Women's Post-Race Comments/Interviews
Webb Coaching Search
Not So Fast: LRC Julia Webb: Alan Webb HAS NOT FINALIZED PLANS To Head Back To Virginia To Be Coached By Jason Vigilante
Steve Nearman Stands Behind His Story
Steve Nearman, the former Washington Times reporter who first broke the story about Webb's pro contract in 2002, reported Wednesday night that sources (plural) close to Webb confirmed that Alan was going to be coached by UVA's Jason Vigilante and we said, "Nearman can be trusted." Well, Nearman is trusted in the industry, but Alan's wife Julia Webb has written and said, "Just wanted to give you a heads up that the story is definitely not true ... we are still looking at the options. No decisions made although Vig (is) still a good option." We contacted Nearman and relayed him Julia's comments and he said, "I stand by my story and I stand by my sources."
*RRW: Alan Webb's Agent Ray Flynn Calls Webb Story "Totally Bogus" In reality, Flynn said the story is "at this stage totally bogus."
*LRC MB: *Julia Webb (Alan's wife) Has Written and Said Webb to UVA Story is Not Accurate *Thread On Webb-Vig
- LRC: Desiree Davila Looking For Respect In Boston Davila finished one spot behind Kara Goucher at the last World Championships in the marathon, and she's hoping to finally
out of Kara's shadow at Monday's Boston Marathon. LetsRun.com has spent the last six years getting a mole into the Hansons-Brooks team, and now thanks to him we have this inside look at Desiree's preparations for Boston, which has included a 123-mile week. Article and video interview plus some video of the Hansons-Brooks training runs.
South African Champs *Results (Scroll Down)
- Caster Semenya Does 800m/1,500m Double At S. African Champs (2:02 And 4:12) Her first minor test at 1,500m was successful.
- S. African Outdoor Champs: Olympic Silver Medallist Khotso Mokoena Wins Long Jump, Blade Runner Doesn't Make Final
- S. African Hammer Throw Champ Chris Harmse Wins His 16th-Straight National Title The Commonwealths champ can never compete in the Olympics because the hammer is always on Sunday, and for religious reasons, he can't compete on Sunday (Eric Liddell would approve).
NCAA Action *Texas Relays Results *Pepsi Invite Results *More NCAA Results
- Texas Relays: Texas A&M Brings It At Texas Relays: Gerald Phiri 10.06 100m, 3:00.45 4 X 400, 6 Relay Wins The Aggies have upped their game for sure. Jessica Beard twice split 49.6 for the women's 4 x 400.
LRC: NCAA 800m Champ Fred Samoei Wins Slow Texas Relays Mile Over Leo Manzano And German Fernandez A 2:15 opening 2 laps made this a crap shoot as the WChampionships finalist Manzano was only 4th and Fernandez ran 4:17.
- Jeremy Wariner Motivated For Gold After Anchoring Adidas Team At Texas Relays To 3:04 Win Good thing they weren't in the college race.
- Alex Austin, Son Of Olympic Champ Charles Austin, High Jumps 6'8" With 5 Weeks Of Training
- Pre-Meet Article On Austin: He High Jumped 6'7" In His 2nd Practice Session Ever
Oregon Pepsi Invite: Strong All-Around Performances Lead Oregon To Sweep At Oregon Pepsi Invite Jordan Hasay won the women's 1,500 in 4:18, AJ Acosta won the men's 1,500 and Matt Centrowitz won the 5,000m - all as expected. The big surprise was Oregon freshman and Ethiopian refugee Boru Guyota winning the 800 over Elijah Greer in 1:48.65.
2011 World XC *Results *New Women's Race Photos *New Men's Race Photos
LRC: Shalane Flanagan Gets Bronze The Olympic bronze medallist and ING NYC Marathon runner-up ran a stellar race to snatch the bronze versus a star-studded field. Flanagan appeared to be dropped with 2km to go, but dug deep to stay in contention and battle back for the bronze. World 5,000m champ Vivian Cheruiyot pulled away from World 10,000m
Linet Masai for gold. The American women did very well to get a repeat bronze medal.
Men: Imane Merga Blasts Away From Four Kenyans In Sprint To Win The Kenyan men dominated the team competition and had 4 of the top 5 guys in the pack for the sprint the final 400m. However, the lone Ethiopian - Imane Merga, the Diamond League 5,000m champion - got the win the Kenyan nation wants most every year. Ben True was the first American in 36th, as he and fellow Ivy Leaguer Max King were America's two best.
*Merga: "Before I used to think of myself as a track runner but this winter I have got to like cross-country races more."
*Craig Mottram Finishes As Top Non-Afrrican Born Male In 21st As Two Guys Ahead Of Him Are DQed For Fighting In Race To Line Eritrea's Samuel Tsegay and Ethiopia's Abera Kuma were given the DQ.
Junior Boys: Geoffrey Kipsang Leads Kenya To 13th Straight Title Kipsang was only 4th at the Kenyan Trials but dominated. High schooler Craig Lutz was the first American in 29th.
Junior Girls: Faith Kipyegon Of Kenya Wins, But Ethiopia Edges Them For Team Title High schooler Aisling Cuffe was the first American in 17th.
Other Nationals *NCAA D3 Champs *NCAA D2 Champs *HS Nationals Results *Photos
HS: Lukas V. Runs Away From The Top Milers To Complete Historic High School Nationals Triple His double on Sunday was super-impressive, but we had completely forgotten about German
8:34 double at the California state meet.
*IAAF Article On Verzbicas
We Wrote This Article Too Soon:
Gerry Lindgren's Legendary 47-Year-Old High School National Record Survives Scare From Lukas Verzbicas And Edward Cheserek Verzbicas hammered home over the final lap to pull away from Cheserek, but in the end, Lindgren's 8:40.0 lived to see another day, as Verzbicas ran 8:40.70 and Cheserek shattered the high school indoor and overall sophomore class records with his 8:42.66. More: Gerry Lindgren 8:40 indoors *LRC MB Lukas V. 8:40.7!! *LRC MB So close *Running Times Q&A With Lindgren About His 8:40.0 Note: This article incorrectly implies the record was set in a 16-lap race.
*Lucas Verzbicas (14:06.78) & (Waverly Neer) 16:35.15 Set National HS 5,000 Records
Tokyo Marathon: A Legend Is Born *Photos
Hailu Mekonnen Wins, Japanese Amateur Yuki Kawauchi Runs Amazing 2:08:37 For 3rd And Faints At Finish Yuki Kawauchi's story is amazing.
A 13:59 5ker and 29:02 10ker, he has a full-time job and has stayed away from the Japanese collegiate and professional system, yet he stunned all of Japan with a 2:08:37 run. Dreams do become reality.
*On The Boards: 13:59 5k, 29:02 10k Japanese AMATEUR Runs 2:08:37 at Tokyo Marathon and Passes Out
Records For Rupp And Farah *Video Of Rupp's And Farah's Race
Galen Rupp & Mo Farah Set National 5k Records!
(13:11.44 and 13:10.60) The two Alberto Salazar-coached athletes put on a brave battle, with Farah coming out on top on the last lap, as Rupp regained his American record from Bernard Lagat by .06. Rupp and Farah will be training together through 2012 and their partnership is off to a strong start. Rupp is scheduled to go for the American 10k record next week in New Zealand. The meet also saw a cool 400m hurdles race (video
here or on the right), an 8:30 3k and American Morgan Uceny going sub-2:00 in the 800.
*Mo Farah Breaks British 5,000m Record With His New Coach Alberto Salazar One Of The 8,000 In Attendance Telegraph.co.uk
*Farah Credits Salazar's Coaching
*Rupp/Farah 5k Video
The 10 Best High School XC Runners Ever
LRC Week That Was: The 10 Best High School XC Runners Of All Time, Verzbicas, Tribute To Gary Reed, The NY Times & The NE Patriots And More We've got the entire running world covered from San Diego to Japan, from the high school ranks to the pros, and even talk about the NE Patriots and the NY Times.
XC Running Goes Mainstream
Ciaran O'Lionaird Pulls Upset Of Robby Andrews In ACC 1,500m (More ACC Here)
Andrew Bumbalough Thriving In 1st Year As Pro One Year After Getting Mono And Nearly Being Left Out Of Nike's Plans This is an unbelievably good piece of writing for a college newspaper. It also reveals he's gotten his mileage up to 90 per week from 65 to 70 in college.
Boston (Updated Photo Gallery Below) *Recap Analysis: *JK On The Wind *Wejo On Desiree *Rojo *London And Boston *Video Highlights
Boston And London Prediction Contest Scores
Check Your Scores Here And See If You Won The $450 Our very own Rojo opened his mouth and said if 1 of 4 guys didn't win London we'd throw in additional $300. Rojo is famous for his bold predictions. If you liked our contest, remember the easiest way to show your appreciation is by buying shoes from our partners. Click here to save 15% off at Road Runner Sports.
Fast Action In Oregon This Weekend
Game Changer If You Got A Lot Of Coin
Washington Post Columnist Calls Alter-G Treadmill A Game Changer Problem for athletes is that they cost $75,000. The rehab model for some reason is "only" $30,000.
2:03:02 In Boston: Men's Highlights From Boston (More Here)
Desiree Davila Pure Guts
Emmanual Mutai Becomes A Star, Legend Martin Lel Outkicks Makau (You Can Watch The Full Race Here)
Mary Keitany Crushes London (Highlights And Post Race Comments)
Mt. SAC Relays/NCAA *Results *Schedule *Live Video Stream *Heat Sheets *Sea Ray Results *Other NCAA Results
Results The 2011 US outdoor season unofficially heated up for the first time on Friday night in Southern California, as US star Shalane Flanagan edged collegiate star Sheila Reid in the 1,500m (4:11), Russell Brown blitzed a 53.84 last 400 to catch Chris Solinsky in the 1,500m as both pros ran 3:35 to NCAA champ Miles Batty's 3:36 (Matt Tegenkamp 3:40, video on right),
American record holder Molly
Huddle held back a challenge from Jenny Simpson in the 5,000m (15:10) and Aaron Braun held off a fast-closing Jorge Torres in the men's 5k.
More: *53.84 Last Lap Gives Russell Brown Victory Over Chris Solinsky At Mt. SAC *BYU Release On Miles Batty's 3:36.25 Not mentioned in the release is the fact that Batty came within .41 of the American collegiate record and within 1 second of the collegiate record. *LRC MB: DID SOLINSKY JUST RUN 3:35? *Jenny B got OWNED
*Jeff Demps 9.96 With 2.4mps Wind
2nd-Year UCLA Coach Loves Dual Meets, Deserves Praise For Keeping UCLA/Oregon Dual Meet Alive
Desiree Davila Ready For Boston (More In-Depth Here)
Question Of The Day?
Train Smarter (More In The Training Forum)
- Scheduling Rest Days - How Often?
- stress fracture twice in same bone in 6 months...HELP
- Coaching that once-in-a-career athlete
- Is there any point doing tempo runs if your event is 3200m or shorter? Let us just chime in with an emphatic yes.
- Anyone get sick or catch a cold right after a race???
Women's World XC In Photos
Men's World XC In Photos
The Greatest Comeback Ever?
Train Smarter (More In The Training Forum)
- Wow, Lydiard training seems ridiculously hard
- best marathon improvement after age 40?
- How does "strength" differ from "speed" and "endurance" as a runner?
- "A runner needs a LT run every 2 to 5 days in order to not lose any aerobic ability."
Training Talk Is Back
Training Talk With New Marathon Star Stephanie Rothstein And Ben Bruce Stephanie lowered her marathon PR by over 10 minutes, skipping the 2:30s entirely, running 2:29:35 in Houston. And she's still got her sights on lowering it another 10 minutes. Textual recap coming later, but you can listen above or download the podcast here (1:30).
Save Some Cash
Save Some Cash
- Long run, 25% of your weekly mileage?
- 5x1 mile repeats with 1:1 work/rest ratio, 10k time?
- Marathon Training Thread - Week Ending 10/17
- Could I break 33 mins. in the 10k based on this workout
- Does anybody here train using Daniels Running Formula
Universal Sports Back To Top