NYC Half On Sunday *NYC Half Field *Live At 7:30am Eastern Sunday *Friday's Live Show From Times Square Noon Eastern
The Americans Take Center Stage In NYC: Meb Vs. Ryan Vs. Rupp (And Abdi) The NYRR had a live, professionally-produced show overlooking Times Square on Thursday and the American men's hopefuls got the attention, as one of them could walk away victorious on Sunday (only 3 men have broken 60-flat in the field, one of them is American (Ryan) and one of them (dos Santos) isn't likely in shape to do it now, although
World XC and
NYC Marathon Champ Gebre Gebremariam is in the field). You can watch a replay of the Times Square show.
More NYC Half Coveage:
- Ryan Hall Ready To Return To Streets Of New York For 2011 New York Half Marathon
- NYC Half Field Highlights Race Results Weekly
- Lindsey Scherf Has Tried To Use Her Dad's Death To Inspire Her Running The American junior 10k record holder is running the NYC half.
- Meb And Abdi Racing Against Each Other For The 50th Time At NYC Half Marathon espn.com Their 50 matchups also got a graphic on the homepage of the USA Today sports section. Now someone needs to get this race's highlights on ESPN.
- NY Times Remembers Sally Meyerhoff
Paula's Back - And Other Upcoming Action
- Paula Radcliffe To Return To Action May 15th At Great Manchester Run 10k
- Paula: "I know what it takes to achieve at the top level. You can't take short cuts, your body has to be able to do it - or it doesn't."
- Amy Hastings Running LA Marathon This Weekend
- Simon Bairu To Race Reid Coolsaet At Scotiabank Toronto Marathon This Fall
Other US News
- The US Is On Track To Win The Most Medals In London 2012
- Deena Kastor Blogs: "I Ran!" Her first run in months after her pregnancy.
- Do You Think Lukas Verzbicas's Triple Was The Best HS Performance Ever? Vote Here
News From Europe
- Britain's Hopes Of 2017 World Championships Fade As Qatar Enters Race
- 2010 Euros 800 Champ Marcin Lewandowski Going After European 880yd Record Apparently they still run the 880? The current best is 1:46.7. That's about 1:46.1 for 800, so not all that fast compared to modern 800 times.
- With Indoors Over, UK Runners Mo Farah, Chris Thompson And Helen Clitheroe Take To The Roads
- Some People In UK Question Hurdler Tiffany Ofili And Her Olympic Nationality
King Carl Speaks In London
- Carl Lewis Says Seb Coe Is "Almost Too Good To Be IAAF President"
- Carl Lewis Says Usain Bolt Should Focus On Winning 100m At Olympics Before Adding Long Jump Lewis says moving up to the 400 is easier than adding the long jump. Track statisticians might disagree.
- Our Favorite Photo: Cool Shot Of Bolt Winning In Beijing
- Olympic Countdown Clock Stops
- Some Visa Cards Don't Work For London Tickets
- New Lopez Lomong Book For Preteens/Teens Quite a few athletes have new books out: Ryan Hall, Kara Goucher, and Meb's with great track writer Dick Patrick came out this fall.
- USOC Worried About Security At Pan Am Games In Guadalajara This Summer
Sydney Track Classic Is Saturday
1,500 Olympic Champ Asbel Kiprop To Race 800m WR Holder David Rudisha In Sydney 800Kiprop rarely races the 800, but still boasts a 1:43.17 PR. Rudisha has the world record, but only ran a 1:43.15
at this meet last year, so this could be an interesting race. Rudisha's focus this year is on winning World Champs in Daegu. He said, "Having the world record and not the world title, it just doesn't sound good."
*Sydney Track Classic Edition Of Inside Athletics
*Meet Promo Video
Australia's Lachlan Renshaw Hoping To Follow David Rudisha And Asbel Kiprop To A World Qualifying Mark
2011 NCAA Champs *Full Results *2011 Event-By-Event Results With Splits *LRC Women's Preview *LRC Men's Preview *LRC Day 1 Photos *Video Highlights (48 Hours Only) Within Articles Or On Right
Day 2: LRC 3ks: Hasay Becomes A Legend, Heath Unleashes His Legendary Kick As of Fri. night, Jordan Hasay was viewed as the former teen prodigy who couldn't quite kick for the big one in college. Now, just as was the case for Galen Rupp two years ago, she is college distance running's biggest star, as she won the mile and then came back in the 3k to make herself into a legend by turning the tables on Sheila Reid. Stanford's Elliott Heath's kick was even more lethal, as he destroyed a super-talented men's 3k field over the final 140m. Includes last lap video coverage.
Day 2: LRC Mid-D: Hasay Gets Title #1, Batty Gets Title #2, Fred Samoei Wins A Nailbiter, And BYU's Bleazard Dominates After being outkicked in the DMR on Fri. night, Jordan Hasay outkicked the competition to grab her first NCAA title as BYU's Miles Batty completed the double in the men's mile, holding off a spirited challenge from Tulsa's Chris O'Hare. The men's 800 featured the best finish of the night as Michael Rutt's bold move to the lead 400 meters in almost held up. In the women' s 800, BYU's Lacey Bleazard won her 2nd indoor title - it's a shame the ESPN3 announcers had no idea who she was. Includes last lap video coverage.
Day 2: *Oregonian: Tough, Determined, Jordan Hasay Leads Oregon To The NCAA Women's Title
*AP: Florida & Oregon Repeat In Dominant Fashion A day after being the runner-up in the LJ, Will Claye set a meet record in the TJ as Jeff Demps took home the 60m.
*Jeff Demps Goes To Gatorade Bath To Celebrate
*AP Photo Gallery
Day 1: LRC DMR: Villanova's Reid Outkicks Oregon's Hasay, BYU's Miles Batty Holds Off Incredible 3:53 Anchor From Andy Bayer Both DMRs had great finishes. The women were first and 'Nova's Sheila
Reid and Oregon's Jordan
Hasay put on
battle for the ages. On the men's side, Andy Bayer split a sick 3:53 to take Indiana from 9th to 2nd, but it was not enough to overtake BYU's Miles Batty, as the night of incredible men's distance running continued with three sub-3:55 splits. Arizona's Lawi Lalang split 3:56.9 and his team lost 3 spots. Recap, interviews, photos, and video of last laps.
LRC 5,000m Recaps: Unheralded Leonard Korir Storms To NCAA Record, Jackie Areson Impresses, Mia Behm Surprises Everyone The men's 5,000m witnessed Iona's Leonard Korir winning a scorching-fast 5k in 13:26.01 over Sam Chelanga, as three guys broke the previous NCAA meet record. On the women's side, Jackie Areson put on a display over the last 600m and Mia Behm, who was 7th at the Big 12, shocked everyone to get 2nd. Recap and interviews
Day 1: AP Recap In the multis, Brianne Theisen broke her record in the pentathlon.
LRC 800 Prelims Recap
LRC Mile Prelims Recap
*With Only Indoor Eligbility Left, Jackie Areson Will Cherish Her 1st NCAA Title She put on a clinic in the 5k.
*Meet Texas A&M's Joey Roberts The profile of the 800 is a good one and it came out before he false started in the prelims.
NCAA D1 LRC Talk
800: *Greer!? *Greer and Loxsom ... WTF happened?
Mile: *Mile prelims NOW *4:00 mile at altitude doesn't translate to anything at sea level
DMR: *Congratulations to Villanova women's team on an XC champs, and DMR champs double! *Tired Jordan Hasay gets beat by fresh Sheila Reid *Hasay would have won had she not had to lead 7 laps
5k: *5k Play-By-Play *LEONARD MF KORIR!!! *Sam Chelanga: what does his future hold? *Women's 5K - Van Dalen - DNF??
Sad News: Sally Meyerhoff Killed In Cycling Accident The two-time All-American and US Olympic Trials qualifier as well former US champion at 25km was killed on Tuesday in a cycling accident at the young age of 27 while she trained for the Ironman World
Championship. *LRC MB: Sad News: Sally Meyerhoff Killed in Accident
*Abc15.com Article With Video On Meyerhoff's Death
*Ahwatukee.com Article On Meyerhoff's Death
*New York Road Runners Article
*More Sad News: Florida High School Track Athlete Sarah Landauer Dies After Collapsing At Practice
Melbourne Track Classic *LRC Melbourne Talk *Full Results *Event-By-Event Results *Photo Gallery *Post-Race 5k Interviews *Recap & 5k Video
A Dream Outdoor US Track Matchup In March In Australia
LRC: Bernard Lagat Wins And Leads Five To "A" Standard; Jeff Risesey Stuns Kiprop And Willis (And Webb) In 1,500; David Rudisha Cruises To 1:43.88 Win In 800 The Melbourne Track Classic was full of hot distance action. In the 5k, Lagat (13:08.43) pulled away from Chris Solinsky (13:10.22) and then held off a shocking late charge by Australia's Ben St. Lawrence, who had a massive 15-second personal best to finish second, as Matt Tegenkamp and the surprising Andrew Bumbalough also got the "A"' standard. In the 1,500, Jeff Riseley came in saying he was in even better shape than last year and then backed it up by getting an upest win for the second-straight year in 3:36.71, as American Alan Webb (3:37.82) drastically improved his 2011 fortunes by finishing right behind the Olympic gold medallist Asbel Kiprop (3:37.63) and well ahead of the Olympic silver medallist Nick Willis (3:38.76), as David Rudisha (1:43.88) and Nick Symmonds (1:45.08) opened fast.
Week In Review
LRC Week That Was: Haile G Jokes, Bernard, Galen And Jenny, The Track & Field Labor Dispute, And Our Hero Kawauchi We span the globe to cover the running world like no one else. From the roads of Tokyo to the mountains of New Mexico, we've got it covered.
USA Indoors Results: *Day 2 One Page *Day 1 *Ind. Race Results *Day 1 Photos *Day 2 Photos
Day 2: Jenn
Suhr's American Record, #2 Performer All-Time And Jillian
Camarena-Williams AR In Shot Highlight Suhr got a rare 4th attempt to get the record due to an official error. The distance races saw Jenny Simpson complete the mile-3k double, Jeff See win the mile, Phoebe Wright continue her fine form by winning the 800, and Duane Solomon get the men's 800m crown. All in all, there were 7 world leaders at the meet.
*Jenny Simpson Wins 3k To Complete 3k/Mile Double And Says, "Take that everyone who thought I wasn't going to be back." Co Gazette
*MBoard: Jeff See wins USATF indoor mile
*Jenn Suhr Sets American Record On Her 4th Attempt (With Video) Trackfocus
*Mike Rodgers Runs 6.48 To Win His Third 60m National Title
*Day 2 Photos
LRC Bernard Lagat Wins 3,000m At USA Indoors And Makes It Look Easy Galen Rupp tried his best to beat Bernard Lagat on Saturday night, but Lagat ran away from Rupp with ease on the final lap, reminding us how damn good he is at 3,000m. Last year, when Lagat won World Indoors, we said he was "Utterly Brilliant." This one was "utterly smooth." Jenny Simpson ran away from Sara Hall on the last lap to win the women's 3,000m. More Sunday.
*On The Boards: USATF 5000m: Lagat, 7:57.17, Rupp 7:59.91
*Day 1 Photos
Ju$tice Is Achieved
We Wonder How Much It Cost
Sammy Wanjiru's Attempted Murder Charge Is Dropped He may still have to face charges for having an illegal firearm, but the Olympic marathon champ's wife and watchmen have dropped their accusations. In case you missed it, Wanjiru and his wife reconciled very publicly on Valentine's Day as shown by this video newscast. *Article From Kenyan Paper On Charges Being Dropped
Having Marital Difficulties? Read This: Olympic champ discovers love is truly a marathon.
The Toughest XC Race In The World
Geoffrey Mutai Dominates Kenyan XC, Linet Masai Outkicks Vivian Cheruiyot, Defending Champs Ebuya And Chebet Out Of Worlds If you're looking for the best runner on the planet right now, look no further than Geoffrey Mutai, as he is on an incredible roll and he kept it going Saturday in Kenya. Mutai, who averaged 2:05:03 in his 2 marathons last year (neither of which he won), has now won
XC races in a row in Kenya by dominating margins, as he won by
44 seconds on Saturday if the
results are correct.
On The Boards: Renato Canova On Mutai: "At the moment, there is an athlete clearly stronger than any other in the World, and (it) is Geoffrey Mutai ... There is a reason for this: Geoffrey is preparing Marathon ... Preparing marathon in the modern way, it's possible to be very much competitive in a Cross, 4 weeks before. But preparing a cross with the Kenyan system, you can forget that is possible to run a marathon 4 weeks later.
*Geoffrey Mutai Is Confident Going Into World Cross
RAK Half Marathon *Results *LRC MB Thread *Photo Gallery
LRC Mary Keitany Runs 1:05:50 WR At RAK Half Marathon To Pocket $75,000 Keitany
is an absolute stud and her run Friday in the UAE was the first sub-66 clocking on a totally legitimate course, although Paula
Radcliffe has run 65:40. On the men's side, former Boston champ Deriba Merga went out in a ridiculous 13:37, set a new 8km world best of 21:51 for the roads, and then held on for a 59:24 - good enough for a 20-second win. Patrick Makau,
one of the pre-race favorites, appears to be in marathon training mode as, after trying to stay with Merga early on, he only managed a 63:51.
On The Boards: OMG did Mary Keitany just run sub 1:06 half marathon WR?
*Official RAK Half Marathon Thread
The Secret Is ... There Is No Secret
Russell Brown Cruises To 3:54 Win, Webb, Manzano And Verzbicas All Over 4 The men's mile featured Alan Webb, Leo Manzano, Nick Willis and high school star Lukas Verzbicas, but the star of the night was Russell Brown, who crushed the field winning in 3:54 as Webb, Manzano and Verzbicas all didn't break 4. Afterwards, Webb threw a tantrum (seriously, that's a fair way of describing it) before addressing the press, and we'll have more on that Sunday. In other action, Sally Kipyego turned back Jenny Simpson in the 3k, Phoebe Wright got another win in the 800m, but the performance of the night may have been Dejen Gebremeskel running 7:35 and outkicking Mo Farah with a last lap of 26 while having one shoe on for most of the race.
Millrose Behind The Scenes: Lagat Goes Down, Millrose Entertains Employee #1 and his able assistant went into the bowels of Millrose to tell you what really happened at the grand-daddy of track and field meets in the world. High schoolers flashing U of O symbols, overlooked 3:34 1,500m runners, and pros addicted to LetsRun.com - we've got it covered.
World XC Is Sunday
Men's Race IAAF Preview: Mutai Vs. All Comers Kenya's Geoffrey Mutai has been the hottest runner on the planet of late with a 2:04:55 marathon last fall and dominant cross-country victories this spring WHILE preparing for next month's Boston Marathon. He'll take on Ethiopian champ Hunegaw
last year's silver and bronze medallists Teklemariam Medhin
and Moses Kipsiro, and
indoor 3k stud Yenew Alamirew.
IAAF Preview Of Women's Race At World XC: Linet Masai Hoping For Gold But Facing Cheruiyot The World 10k Champ has been outkicked the last two years and had to settle for silver each time. This year she faces 5k World Champ Vivian Cheruiyot.
- Last Rites For World Cross Country?
- Kenya Ready To Hit Hard At Worlds Team looks deep considering all 4 individual title winners from last year failed to make the team.
- Japan's XC Team Will Be Missing Some Runners In Light Of Last Week's Natural Disasters
US XC Team In-Depth: XCNation.com has a 4-part series on the US team.
- Part III: World XC 2011 Interviews Part III: Legends Craig Virgin, Thom Hunt, Greg Meyer, Ed Eyestone, Steve Plasencia, George Malley
- Part II: Interviews With Brent Vaughn, Magdalena Lewy Boulet, Erik Olson, Molly Grabill, Justin Vilhauer, Ryan Poland, Scott Bauhs, Chris Barnicle And Aisling Cuffe
- Part I: Interviews With Andrew Bumbalough, Molly Huddle, Ammar Moussa, Hannah Valenzuela, Craig Lutz And Blake Russell Before 2011 World XC
Qatar To Bid Against London, Spain, Hungary And Germany For 2017 Worlds If Qatar wins, which is a strong possibility (as if we remember correctly, government guarantees can be 25% of the bid), the Worlds would have to be later in the year in our opinion.
Previous World XC News
- Is World Cross-Country Dying? World XC was once very popular among elite US/European distance runners; however, now most seem to prefer the track or the roads and leave the trails to be dominated by African-born runners. With World XC moving to an every-other-year format, can popularity for the IAAF's oldest world championship event survive?
- USATF Outlines US Roster For World XC Champs
- Isaiah Kiplangat (Koech) Looking For Redemption After Just Missing A Medal Last Year
- $280,000 At Stake At World XC Champs This Weekend
- Kenya's 8km XC Squad Has Depth To Improve
- Serbia's Mirko Petrovic Wins Balkan XC Championships
Gebrselassie To Return To Action In Vienna The Emperor is coming off the knee injury which kept him out of Tokyo, but he is confident that he has been able to maintain fitness thanks to cross training. The Vienna Marathon/Half Marathon is a "Catch Me If You Can" event where elite athletes running the marathon will get a head start, and Geb will have to try to run them down.
You Know There's A Problem When ...
Criminals Find That Selling Steroids Is More Profitable Than Heroin
Central Governor Theory Tries To Explain How We Pace Ourselves In A Race Interesting theory on why your body lets you speed up or slow down during a race.
Other Nationals *NCAA D3 Champs *NCAA D2 Champs *HS Nationals Results *Photos
HS: Lukas V. Runs Away From The Top Milers To Complete Historic High School Nationals Triple His double on Sunday was super-impressive, but we had completely forgotten about German
8:34 double at the California state meet.
*IAAF Article On Verzbicas
We Wrote This Article Too Soon:
Gerry Lindgren's Legendary 47-Year-Old High School National Record Survives Scare From Lukas Verzbicas And Edward Cheserek Verzbicas hammered home over the final lap to pull away from Cheserek, but in the end, Lindgren's 8:40.0 lived to see another day, as Verzbicas ran 8:40.70 and Cheserek shattered the high school indoor and overall sophomore class records with his 8:42.66. More: Gerry Lindgren 8:40 indoors *LRC MB Lukas V. 8:40.7!! *LRC MB So close *Running Times Q&A With Lindgren About His 8:40.0 Note: This article incorrectly implies the record was set in a 16-lap race.
*Lucas Verzbicas (14:06.78) & (Waverly Neer) 16:35.15 Set National HS 5,000 Records
*Aisling Cuffe Runs #2 Time Ever For 2 Miles At New Balance Nationals
US 15k: Mo Trafeh And Jen Rhines Continue Winning Ways At Gate River Run staugustine.com
*Top Results Ben True, the guy who arguably had as much talent as Galen Rupp in high school (True skied in the winter, Rupp trained like a pro), continues to improve and was second on the men's side.
*Official USA 15K Gate River Run Championship Thread
LRC Chat: *Verzbicas 14:06i High School Record! *D2 and D3 DMR's.... Really??
- Blue Collar Runner Of The Month? Guy Training for LA Marathon Solely On A McDonald's Diet Anyone know if he comes to LetsRun.com? He's gone from being a 4:16 marathoner to a 2:36 marathoner in 12 years. Despite his McDonald's addiction, he's never had a Big Mac. *
- Kara Goucher Has Run More Miles Than Ever In Advance Of NY Half, Boston Marathon New York Times We were shocked to read she ran 50 minutes on the day her baby Colt was born. Amazing. The NY Half is in 2 weeks.
- Mammoth Track Club's Patrick Smyth Getting Ready For NY Half Marathon, London Marathon Runnersworld.com
- Hansons-Brooks Distance Project Now Has Southern Division In Florida
Sally Meyerhoff News
- Recommended Read: Sally Meyerhoff Left A Positive Impression On Arizona Journalist Jeff Metcalfe Before she died, Meyerhoff was very happy with where she was in her life.
- Famed Announcer Toni Reavis Writes A Poem About Sally Meyerhoff
- Sally Meyerhoff's Death Felt At High School Meet In Arizona Her former HS teammate, who is now coach, broke down in tears as she handed out blue ribbons (in honor of Duke) to the current athletes on the team.
- US 25k Elite Athlete Coordinator And Former Boston Marathon Champ Greg Meyer Devastated By Meyerhoff's Death He says Meyerhoff was the life of the party the year she won her US title and danced up a storm at Grand Rapids' Crush Nightclub.
- Meyerhoff's Fatal Cycling Accident One Of Roughly 700 Each Year
Week That Was
LRC Week That Was: Melbourne, Old School Performance(s) By Current NCAA Guys You've Never Heard Of, German Fernandez's 4:03 Mile, Josh McDougal, And Runner A Vs. Runner B We span the last week and the globe in the running world like no one else. In addition to the headlnies above, we cover an 81-year-old dude who won his first national championship after trying for 61 years (he made the 1952 Olympic Trials).
2011 Euros *Results *Meet Website
- Day 3:
- Teddy Tamgho Betters His Own World Record, Jumping 17.92m TWICE
- EUROPEAN INDOOR CHAMPIONSHIPS - CLITHEROE DELIVERS, KSZCZOT SURPRISES ON FINAL DAY At age 37, Helen Clitheroe wins her first Euros medal by winning the 3k, just edging out Russia's Olesya Syreva by .03 seconds. In the women's 800 meters, Britain's Jenny Meadows was upset by Russia's Yevgeniya Zinurova in the last 10 meters after leading the entire race. *2nd Clitheroe Article
- Summary Of 3rd And Final Day Of European Indoor Championships
- Francis Obikwelu Upsets Defending Champ Dwain Chambers And Christophe Lemaitre In Euros 60m Final *2nd Article
- 17-Year-Old Jodie Williams Just Misses Medal With 4th Place Finish In 60m
- Andrei Krauchanka Of Belarus Overcomes Ankle Injury To Win Euros Heptathlon
- Germany's Sebastian Bayer Wins Long Jump
- Day 2:
- EUROPEAN INDOOR CHAMPIONSHIPS - FARAH DEFENDS 3,000M TITLE In a tactical race, Mo Farah is forced to lead the last ten laps and works hard to hold off Azerbaijan's Hayle Ibrahimov for the win in 7:53. After the race, he announced that he will be skipping World XC Champs in Spain to instead join training partner Galen Rup
- Kawauchi Mania Hits Japan As He Is Overwhelmed At His Job With Media Requests; His 18-Year-Old Kid Brother Was His Official Coach In Tokyo He may get $30,000 from the federation to train for Worlds.
- Kawauchi: "I run with no fear of dying."
Rupp To Run A Half, Plus Alberto Speaks
LRC It's Official: Galen Rupp To Make Half Marathon Debut At 2011 NYC Half Marathon Denied an attempt at the American 10k record because of the NZ earthquake, Rupp will be taking his endurance-based fitness to the streets of New York on March 20. Read about the thinking behind the decision as Alberto Salazar talked in great length about Rupp's training, the Oregon Track Club/Oregon Project split, and much more. Also, Eugene fans, get ready for a hot 10,000 in early June that won't include Rupp.
Tokyo Marathon: A Legend Is Born *Photos
Hailu Mekonnen Wins, Japanese Amateur Yuki Kawauchi Runs Amazing 2:08:37 For 3rd And Faints At Finish Yuki Kawauchi's story is amazing.
A 13:59 5ker and 29:02 10ker, he has a full-time job and has stayed away from the Japanese collegiate and professional system, yet he stunned all of Japan with a 2:08:37 run. Dreams do become reality.
*On The Boards: 13:59 5k, 29:02 10k Japanese AMATEUR Runs 2:08:37 at Tokyo Marathon and Passes Out
*Yuki Kawauchi Is "The Rocky Of The Marathon World" *He will race at World Champs by taking vacation days from his full-time job.
*Japanese Federation Feeling Impact Of Kawauchi's Run
*Summary Of Post-Race Press Conference
*Chilean Miner Edison Pena Runs 5:08:19 In Tokyo, 30-Minute PR
Week That Was
LRC Week In Review: Proof That The Kenyan Training Camps Do More Harm Than Good, An In-Depth Look At The 2012 Olympic Track & Field Schedule, Boston Changes Things Up, And Much, Much More This week, we have it all covered for you once again. We start by ripping the Kenyan training camp system, then tell you who is likely to attempt Olympic doubles in 2012 and who isn't, then we get sidetracked by sexting, Oprah Winfrey and Robby Andrews' family's exploits. We also praise some amateurs for promoting the sport and tell the elites running for Nike they need to do more.
Records For Rupp And Farah *Video Of Rupp's And Farah's Race
Galen Rupp & Mo Farah Set National 5k Records!
(13:11.44 and 13:10.60) The two Alberto Salazar-coached athletes put on a brave battle, with Farah coming out on top on the last lap, as Rupp regained his American record from Bernard Lagat by .06. Rupp and Farah will be training together through 2012 and their partnership is off to a strong start. Rupp is scheduled to go for the American 10k record next week in New Zealand. The meet also saw a cool 400m hurdles race (video
here or on the right), an 8:30 3k and American Morgan Uceny going sub-2:00 in the 800.
*Mo Farah Breaks British 5,000m Record With His New Coach Alberto Salazar One Of The 8,000 In Attendance Telegraph.co.uk
*Farah Credits Salazar's Coaching
*Rupp/Farah 5k Video
Week In Review
LRC The Week That Was: Brent Vaughn And Russell Brown Surprise, Shalane Flanagan And Ashton Eaton Impress, Gebremeskel Wins With One Shoe, And Yenew Alamirew - The Next Great Star? There
was a ton of incredible action last week, from Russell Brown's surprise win in Boston to the XC champs to the heptathlon to a sub-4:00 mile at altitude, and we've got it covered. We compare Brent Vaughn to Dathan Ritzenhein, wonder when Ashton Eaton will beat Bryan Clay and Trey Hardee, and ponder whether Yenew Alamirew is the next great star of the sport.
*Video Of Alamirew's 2 Impressive 3k Wins
US XC Champs In San Diego *Results
Brent Vaughn Wins Convincingly, Shalane Flanagan And The Other Winners Dominate Vaughn, the CU record holder at 5k (think about that for a second) dominated the field the 2nd half of the race to win by 6 seconds, the smallest margin of victory of the day. Shalane Flanagan totally destroyed Molly Huddle, winning by 44 seconds, and getting a little revenge for Huddle taking her 5k American record last year. Foot Locker champ Aisling Cuffe won the junior girls race convincingly. 49-year-old Master Pete Magill won in the men's masters ranks, while Colleen De Reuck showed she was in the wrong race, winning by 1:34.
Good Read: Jerry Schumacher Profile In Portland Paper Got to be a quote of the day in here somewhere.
US Half Champs In Houston *Results, Prize Money, Splits *Updated Photos *Live Thread
Men: LRC Mo Trafeh Outkicks Ryan Hall Ryan Hall, Mo Trafeh and Patrick Smyth battled together on the streets
Houston for 11 miles. In the twelfth mile, Hall tried to push ahead. Smyth was the first to crack, but Trafeh stayed on Hall's
heels. With 200m to go, Trafeh gave it one final surge and passed Hall to get the win.
*Video Of Men's Finish *Men's Post-Race Interviews
Women: LRC Jen Rhines' Return Trumps Burla's After a 4-year absence, Jen Rhines made a return to the longer distances with a win and a PR. However, her comeback was the least impressive of the day, as that award definitely goes to Serena Burla. Burla was second just as she was last year. However, in the last year, she had been diagnosed and beaten cancer. Pretty amazing. Mother of three, Nan Kennard, who trains with Colleen De Reuck, was a surprise third.
*Video Of Women's Finish *Women's Post-Race Press Conference
The 10 Best High School XC Runners Ever
LRC Week That Was: The 10 Best High School XC Runners Of All Time, Verzbicas, Tribute To Gary Reed, The NY Times & The NE Patriots And More We've got the entire running world covered from San Diego to Japan, from the high school ranks to the pros, and even talk about the NE Patriots and the NY Times.
The Stars Of Track And Field Party In Monaco *Wejo's Photo Gallery 1 *Pro Photo Gallery 2
Deal Of The Day: Asics 2150 $49.99
Replay Of Thursday's Live Professional Video Show From Times Square With Meb, Ryan Hall And Galen Rupp (Bigger Video Here)
The Greatest Comeback Ever?
Jordan Hasay After Leading Oregon To Victory
Jordan Hasay 24 Hours Earlier After DMR
Leonard Korir After His NCAA 5k Record
Train Smarter (More In The Training Forum)
- Wow, Lydiard training seems ridiculously hard
- best marathon improvement after age 40?
- How does "strength" differ from "speed" and "endurance" as a runner?
- "A runner needs a LT run every 2 to 5 days in order to not lose any aerobic ability."
Highlights Of 1,500m In Australia (Webb 3rd, Riseley Over Kiprop - With Riseley, Willis Interviews)
Last 250m Of Melbourne 5,000m With Post-Race Interviews With The Stars (Lagat, Solinsky, Tegenkamp, Bumbalough, Mottram, St. Lawrence)
Definitely Worth A Read
Hall Of Fame Running Back And Olympic 400m Bronze Medalist (46.8) Ollie Matson Dies Our sport's history is amazing, as is Matson's story. He was on the 1951 Univ. of San Francisco team that he called the "greatest of all time" (they went undefeated and are the only college football team with 3 future NFL Hall of Famers on it). However, there was one "problem" with the team. It had two black players on it. That meant bowl inviations only if the black players didn't play. The team said no, the team lost $70,000 and the school CANCELLED football the next year. Amazing. Great Frank Litsky writeup.
Cool Video With Webb, Willis And Warhurst For Christchurch Earthquake Appeal Meet (To Donate To the Cause, Click Here)
Last 800m (Or Full Race) Of Galen Rupp's And Mo Farah's 5,000m Dual In Britain
This Is Awesome: Indoor 400m Hurdles At Aviva Birmingham Meet
Training Talk Is Back
Training Talk With New Marathon Star Stephanie Rothstein And Ben Bruce Stephanie lowered her marathon PR by over 10 minutes, skipping the 2:30s entirely, running 2:29:35 in Houston. And she's still got her sights on lowering it another 10 minutes. Textual recap coming later, but you can listen above or download the podcast here (1:30).
Last 250 (Or Full Race - Rewind It) Of Dejen Gebremeskel Outkicking Mo Farah In Boston With 1 Shoe
Save Some Cash
Two Of The Best Running Movies Of All Time (Don't Believe Us? Click Here)
Train Smarter (More In The Training Forum)
- Excercise Science Misconception About Running
- Anyone have trouble running straight on treadmill?
- Can I substitute a long run in Marathon Training with a half race?
- Are longer runs always better?
- Workouts to suggest 1:55/1:56 in the 800?
800m Royalty Together For The First Time Ever: Juantorena, Coe, Kipketer And Rudisha (It's Well Worth A Watch If You Have The Time, Or Read The Recap Here)
Save Some Cash
- Long run, 25% of your weekly mileage?
- 5x1 mile repeats with 1:1 work/rest ratio, 10k time?
- Marathon Training Thread - Week Ending 10/17
- Could I break 33 mins. in the 10k based on this workout
- Does anybody here train using Daniels Running Formula
Universal Sports Back To Top