And Vig's Replacement At UVA Is ... Bryan Fetzer??? The former distance-based program named a former football player (but recruiting whiz) to head it's program, as all the gossip at the coaches' convention proved to be way off. MB: Fetzer to UVA as new Director of TNF and CC *Vallmon to UVA
2005 HJ World Champ Kajsa Bergqvist Comes Out Of The Closet "As lesbian as I feel today, as heterosexual I felt when I was together with (my ex-husband). But when I get old and look back on my life perhaps one can see that I'm bisexual." *Translated Article From Swedish *Wikipedia
- It's Official Patrick Makau's Marathon World Record (2:03:38) And 30km WR Are Ratified
- A Recap Of The 2011 World Marathon Majors By The World Marathon Majors People
LRC Mo Trafeh Tunes Up For Olympic Trials With 1:01:39 Half In China Even though Trafeh has never finished a marathon before, he has to be considered one of the leading contenders for next month's Trials. Trafeh even had the lead at the London marathon earlier this year.
- Catching Up With 1992 NYC Champ Bhekizizwe William Mtolo Of South Africa Although he won in NYC, he does wish he had won Comrades, but as he says, "I guess in life you can't win everything."
- NY Times: Avoiding The Trap Of Big-Time, Big-Money Sports Conference realignments that send traditional rivalries to the curb, mid-week basketball games across the country, star athletes who cheat on the SAT, coaches that leave after a year, where does it end?
- NY Times Profiles LaShawn Merritt's Comeback: Sprinter Leaves Humiliation Behind "In her testimony, the clerk recalled being amused by Merritt's routine at the store, buying juice and a lottery ticket, leaving and then returning to buy condoms and the male-enhancement pills four or five times between December 2009 and January 2010."
2-Time Boston Champ Moses Tanui Plays 117 Holes Of Golf In Single Day To Raise Money For Charity Tanui, who also was the 1st man to break 1 hour in the half marathon, is a 21-handicap golfer and covered more distance on the golf course than in a marathon.
- Usain Bolt's Coach Still Believes, As He Says Bolt "can do better (in London) than Beijing and Berlin."
- We 100% Agree: Jamaica Editorial: Change The Relay Schedule For Bolt If the 4 x 400 was the last event of the Olympics as it historically is, then Bolt would be much more likely to do it than if he has to run the 4 x 400 before the 4 x 100.
- Christophe Lemaitre Is France's Athlete Of Year For 2nd Straight Year
Kenyans Clean Up Over The Weekend
- Isiah Koech Dominates Brussels XC Race; Euro Champ Atelaw Yeshetela Bekele In 2nd Multiple former Euro champ Sergey Lebid was 7th place. Caroline Chepkwony won the women's race.
- Imagine If They Did This In The US: Some Runners Caught Cheating In Kenya's Kisumu Marathon Were Arrested Oh, and Joseph Biwott won in 2:13:41.
- World XC 7th Placer Philemon Limo Wins Spanish XC Race Priscah Jepleting won for the women.
LRC Galen Rupp Enters The 2012 US Olympic Marathon Trials The American record holder at 10,000m has only run one race over 10,000m but he's now entered in next month's Trials. The question is will he run?
Our quick take on Rupp's entry.
On The Boards: Galen Rupp in Marathon Trials
Other OT News:
*Over 300 Have Entered USA Olympic Trials Marathon Overall, the USATF has collected $16,150 in entry fees ($50 each athlete). Those do not go to the Houston Marathon Committee even though they pay the athletes' travel, lodging, and meal expenses. Does that make sense?
*Aaron Braun's 12 Days Of Christmas
Study On Differences Between Genders In Running Hypothesizes Why "More men than women run fast relative to sex-specific world records." Study says "more men are motivated to engage in the kind of dedicated, high-volume training that is necessary for fast running performances." *MB: Q&A with Dr. Robert Deaner, sex differences researcher
The US Olympic Marathon Trials Are Less Than A Month Away
- 5 Minutes With 4-Time Olympic Trials Qualifier Clint Verran Pretty amazing story, as he qualified at CIM by only 4 seconds after coming back form a calf tear at Chicago, which was his first DNF ever.
- Great Interview With Terrence Mahon Gives his thoughts on just about every big player (men and women) who will be in the hunt at the Trials.
- A Brief Chat With Desiree Davila "If you can make it in Houston, you're going to be on one of the best Olympic teams ever. It's great for the sport and it's really exciting for women distance runners."
- Q&A With Ryan Hall He doesn't plan on running conservatively and says, "I'm not at all thinking I'll have the luxury of running any easier than all-out." Also talks about trying to get his brother, Chad Hall, into marathoning.
- Hansons-Brooks Runner Sage Canaday Blogs About His "Relationship" With Distance Running And Why The 2:14-2:30 Marathoner Should Even Bother
- 2:09 And 2:28 In Houston To Make The Olympic Team? This Writer Says No Way Desi and Ryan predicted record breaking times to make the Olympic team this year, but writer mentions that the '84 Trials had a way deeper field and 2:11:50 took the 3rd spot.
- Catching Up With 27:28 Man Tim Nelson Runners World calls this a "Brief Chat," but it's actually very long and full of useful info. Nelson talks honestly about his training and prospects for the Olympic team, which he rates as being an "outside chance" if everything goes perfectly. He gives insight into a 20-24 mile tempo run at 5:30 pace the entire group did
together (including Teg & Jager) even talks about the Schumacher
versus Alberto group rivalry.
More Marathon News:
- 4 Years Removed From Picking Up Running & Starting As A 2:58 Marathoner, Kiwi Is Dreaming Of London 2012 And Kiwi Record His PR is 2:15 right now but weirdly New Zealand will send him if he finishes top 10 in an IAAF Gold Label race so he's going to China to run January's Xiamen marathon.
- Desiree Davila, Ryan Hall Predict Record-Breaking Times At 2012 Olympic Trials Marathon Desi says it will take 2:24 to win and 2:28 to make the team (the Trials record is 2:28:25). Ryan Hall says the top 3 on the men's side will be sub-2:10.
Vivian Cheruiyot Wins Most Prestigious Award In Kenya: Sports Personality Of The Year, Patrick Makau Gets Sportsman Of The Year Cheruiyot was snubbed in the IAAF Athlete of the Year voting and got a little redemption here. Ten years
ago, the Kenyan women were blips at the top ranks, now they are dominant.
*Cheruiyot: "In Monaco I left so disappointed and I kept asking why they did this to me."
More Award News: *Cheruiyot One Of 2 Track Athletes Named As Finalist For Laureus World Sportsman Of The Year Carmelita Jeter is the other.
*Yohan Blake and Usain Bolt have also been nominated.
*Track Stars Dominate Jamaica's Sportsman And Sportswoman Of The Year Award Nominations
*Oscar P Nominated For Two Laureus Awards - World Breakthrough Of The Year And The Disability Award
London 2012 Update
- 13,500 Armed Military Men Will Provide Security In London 2012
- Coe: Transportation & Security Are Getting Figured Out Well
Not Your Everyday Running News
Las Vegas Health Officials Are Testing Fecal Samples After Many Got Sick At Rock N Roll Las Vegas The race and the Hot Chocolate 15k in Washington, DC were apparently both disasters and not ready for the crowds.
On The Boards: Road Race Disasters: What Are the Basic Requirements For a Good Road Race
European And African News
- After Failing To Win A Record 10th European XC Title (And Dropping Out For The 1st Time), Serhiy Lebid Says He'll Be Back In 2012 Lebid has run in all 18 European XC races.
- Focusing On Speed, Not Strength Doesn't Work For Sprinters Either:
British 400m Star Martyn Rooney Says 2011 Was A Lost Year As He Tried To Improve His 200m Time He went from 44.99 to 45.30. "I was put under a lot of pressure to do speed work and so I tried to do it someone else's way and things just didn't click."
- Oscar Pistorius Says It's Not About The Medals; It's About Running His Best
- Sad News 2000 Olympic 4 X 400 Silver Medallist And 1997 World Indoor Champ Sunday Bada Dead At Age 42 *Article On Bada With Pic
Weird But Good Excuse: Abubaker Kaki Won't Compete In Pan-Arab Games As He Has To Fly To Japan To Take Dope Test We've never heard of the IAAF making someone fly to take a drug test, so this may be a convenient excuse to compete in a nearly worthless event. Also Interesting: This was apparently false information, as we received an email saying that "Abubaker Kaki has been training in Oman since November with his training group and he went to Tokyo 3-6 December to take part in a TV Game show which was recorded on 5 December."
- British Olympic Association Will Appeal To CAS To Keep Lifetime Olympic Doping Ban
*Dwain Chambers And Cyclist David Millar Will Know In April If Lifetime Bans Stick
- Fool Me Once, Shame On Me; Fool Me Twice ... Spanish Hurdler Josephine Onyia Gets 2nd 2-Year Ban
News From Britain
- 2:28:24 Marathoner Jo Pavey Won't Find Out Until April 23rd If She's The 3rd & Final British Marathoner
- Jessica Ennis Says It Will Take 6,900 Points And British Record To Win Olympic Gold
Virgin London Absolutely Stacked Again
Keitany Vs. The Two Kiplagats The 2012 women's Virgin London Marathon field was announced on Monday and it is absolutely stacked. You've got 3 of the 4 top marathoners in the world squaring off and 15 women who have run under 2:25. Keitany, the 2011 Champ who ran like a maniac in NY, will take on 2010 NY and World Champ Edna Kiplagat and Berlin champ and 2:19 runner Florence Kiplagat.
Centro To Run Indoors: 1,500m Medallists Jenny Simpson And Matt Centrowitz To Make 2012 Debut In Boston At New Balance Meet
On The Boards: Centro To Run Indoors
David Oliver, Jenn Suhr To Run Under The Lights At US Open At MSG On Jan 28th We'll have more on this meet and TMFKAMG later this week, but hear the Garden is promoting it and ticket prices are about as reasonable as it gets in NYC ($15-$75). Asafa Powell is also running.
TMFKAMG: LaShawn Merritt Extenze Himself To 500m If he breaks the WR he'll get $25k. Much smarter than trying to add a few inches.
Saturday XC Action: Foot Locker *Boys Results *Girls Results *Boys Photos *Girls Photos *Full Girls Race Video *Full Boys Race Video
LRC Boys: Cheserek Outkicks Futsum For The Win
This race lived up to its hype as the top 2 African-born stars went mano-a-mano until the final 100m. After a cat-and-mouse 9:50 opening 2 miles, their last 1.1 was run at a pretty quick pace (4:31 mile pace), but the winning time of 14:51.5 wasn't close to Reina's 14:36 CR.
LRC Girls: Molly Seidel Turns Back Tough Challenge From Erin Finn Seidel was the favorite, undefeated in 2011, but Finn was the top returner and Finn made it super-interesting as she opened up a big lead and even managed to regain the lead once Seidel caught her.
Recommended Read: Dyestat Recap: Cheserek, Zeinasellassie Forge Bond In San Diego
More Coverage: *Newark Star-Ledger Recap Note the paper incorrectly reports their last 800 as being a 1:54. No chance.
*San Diego Tribune Recap Cheserek says he just wanted win - might go for Reuben Reina's record next year.
MB: *Where would Cheserek have placed at NCAA XC? *Cheserek and Futsum's last 800 meters - 1:54? *Poll: How old are Cheserek and Futsum? *Will an American male ever win Foot Locker again? *Another FL Finalist Staying Home
Olympic/IAAF Corruption Scandal Upset - Surprise, Surprise, No One Gets In Trouble
- IAAF Head Lamine Diack To Get Lightest Penalty Possible For Taking Cash Payment In 1990s - "A Public Reprimand"
- Former FIFA Head Quits Olympic Body In Corruption Scandal
- NY Times Columnist Rips Agreement: Joao Havelange, Diack & Others Get To Save Face "By handing in his resignation, Havelange is expected to escape the ignominy of being suspended, or even expelled from I.O.C. membership. Hayatou and Diack, both denying any wrongdoing, are likely to be censored, at worst. Havelange is expected to escape the ignominy of being suspended, or even expelled from I.O.C. membership."
- FIFA says publication of ISL documents delayed
Pro Track Stars Making News
Three Years Too Late: Asbel Kiprop To Finally Gets His Olympic Gold Medal
More News On Young Phenoms: "17"-Year-Old Mohammed Aman, Who Stopped David Rudisha's Winning Streak And Ran 1:43, Is From White Collar Family, Uses Facebook, Likes Action Movies
NCAA Long Jump & 100m Star Ngoni Makusha Has Signed With Li-ning We have no idea if this is new news, but the profile on Makusha in the Zimbabwe paper is new. Makusha wants to keep his Zimbabwe accent so he can pick up American girls.
- Jessica Ennis Gets $500,000 Deal With adidas
- LJ Van Zyl To Skip S. African Outdoor Meets To Focus On Olympics
- After Birth Of 2nd Child And 2nd Retirement, Tia Hellebaut Will Resume Defense Of Her 2008 Olympic High Jump Title In January
2011 Fukuoka Produces Compelling Drama *Photos *Top 10 Results
Josphat Ndambiri Wins In 2:07:36 Debut; Yuki Kawauchi 3rd In 2:09:57 In the most memorable Fukuoka since Sammy Wanjiru's debut in 2007, sub-27 man Josphat Ndambiri, the fastest Kenyan in Japan, lived up the hype in his marathon debut,
as he won comfortably. But once again the story of the day in Japan
was the WILL of the amateur
Kawauchi, who took home top Japanese honors in 2:09:57 and ended up in the medical tent. Alistair Cragg was a DNF and Andrew Lemoncello struggled with a hamstring problem and ran 2:24. MB: *2011
Fukuoka MB Thread *Yuki Kawauchi is a bada$$
*IAAF Recap Kawauchi talks about his new tactic of surging at the water stations.
*Alistair Cragg Fails To Finish In Japan The Irish Times wasn't nice to Cragg, as they said he dropped out "as he has done far too often in the past, including a few high profile track races."
Don't Know Kawauchi? Well, he's a man who approaches races with the mindset of "Every time I run, it's with the mindset that if I die at this race it's OK." He made headlines by fainting at the finish of Tokyo this year. *Video Of Tokyo
*More: *13:59 5k, 29:02 10k Japanese AMATEUR Runs 2:08:37 At Tokyo Marathon And Passes Out *Kawauchi Appreciation Thread *Kawauchi hospitalised with heat exhaustion
Show Me The Money
Matthew Centrowitz Explains His Decision To Leave Oregon Early To Turn Professional "I weighed
both ends of this. It took me a couple months to decide. ... I had to make the decision based on what would keep me progressing, and keep me hungry."
*Centro Jr. Turns Professional *Matthew Centrowitz Jr., World Championships bronze medallist, has given up his final year of track to run professionally. Financially, it seems like a no-brainer for the former Oregon Duck.
Discuss: Centro Jr Turns Pro
LRC Archives: Worlds: Men's 1,500m: Matt Centrowitz Closes In 51.6 To Get Bronze As Asbel Kiprop And Silas Kiplagat Get Gold And Silver
USATFs: Men's 1,500m Final: Matt Centrowitz Jr. Pulls Away From Bernard Lagat
Video: *Centro's 1,500m Bronze Race *Post Race Reaction/Interview
LRC Jason Vigilante Leaves The University Of Virginia Vigilante (the coach of Alan Webb and Robby Andrews), who rose to fame as the mid-d and distance coach at the University of Texas, has confirmed to LetsRun.com that he is no longer leading the Virginia program after three-plus years in Charlottesville. *Discuss: Vig out at UVA
2011 NCAAs Are History *Men's Results *Women's Results *Entire Race Video Replays
Men: LRC Wisconsin Badgers Take Control Early As Lawi Lalang Dominates Lawi Lalang waited until 5k before deciding it was time to crush the competition
once and for all, while #1 Wisconsin
showed no fear and put a stranglehold on the competition from the very beginning and held off a belated charge from Oklahoma State and a surprising Colorado team as the Cowboys tried to three-peat. American Chris Derrick took home individual runner-up honors to cap a brilliant career in style. *Discuss
More: Wisco #1: *Give 'em five: Badgers lay claim to program's fifth national title *Krause earns redemption as Badgers storm to fifth national title host.madison.com
OSU #2: *Dave Smith Calls Loss "Disappointing" - But Expected www.okstate.com
Colorado #3: *Wetmore Calls Medina Most Improved Runner In Country www.denverpost.com *CU Coach Mark Wetmore Pleased With Buffs 3rd Place Run
Individual: Coach Li - I Think Lalang Would Have Got Course Record If He Was Pushed www.arizonawildcats.com
NCAAs On The Boards
- Wisconsin WINS, Okst crumbles, CU almost surprise 2nd
- Best Coaching jobs of teams at Nationals
- German Fernandez had a very good race
- Chad Hall in 44th...
- Eat it Solinsky and Bairu
- Ivy League Hype Machine Fails Again (re: Princeton)
- Is Lawi Lalang on drugs?
- Top-10 Coaching Jobs in Women's NCAA Division I in 2011
- OFFICIAL NCAA D1 UPDATE THREAD
Week That Was
LRC Geoffrey Mutai Amazes Again, Adam Goucher Retires, & Lukas Verzbicas Calls It Quits We go behind the scenes to take a look at the last two weeks in the running world, which included the NYC Marathon, Adam Goucher's retirement, and Lukas Verzbicas leaving Oregon mid-season. Plus we take a look at the Phil Hersh-Ryan Hall spat and compare Hall to Tim Tebow.
Alan Webb Still With Nike
Look Out, Nike: Kenyan Brand Kourage Launched Of course Nike and Kourage both don't have a chance since Puma has partnered with little LetsRun.com for the LRC Puma Faas Challenge.
2011 ING NYC Marathon *Men's Results *Women's Results *Viewing Info *Flash Yahoo Photos
LRC 2:05:06!!! Geoffrey Mutai Caps Year In Style An unbelievable year in men's marathoning had an appropriate finish, as the Kenyan man who had the most unbelievable of all years, Geoffrey Mutai, smashed the previous NYC Marathon record by a stunning 2:38 - that's two minutes and 38 seconds. If it wasn't the
greatest 2nd-greatest men's marathon performance
ever, you'll have to tell us what was. American Meb Keflezighi hung with the leaders for 20 miles after a blistering 63:16 1st half and ended up with a much-deserved PR. Mutai picked up $200,000 by winning, but the big financial winner was runner-up Emmanuel Mutai, who won $635,000 ($500,000 for the WMM title).
LRC Mary Keitany Beats Herself The women's race was full of gut-wrenching drama, as Mary Keitany went out in a crazy 67:56. The problem was she came back in 74:42, as unheralded Firehiwot Dado (Rome Marathon champ) got the win.
LRC Post-Race Interviews: Meb And His Coach Bob Larsen Talks About His PR Despite Throwing Up Plus the winners - Geoffrey Mutai, Firehiwot Dado, men's and women's top 3, Ed Moran, Molly Pritz, Lauren Fleshman and Bobby Curtis.
Frankfurt *Larger Image Of Kipsang At Finish
Frankfurt: Oh-So-Close: 2:03:42 - Wilson Kipsang's World Record Assault Comes Up Just Short IAAF The world of marathoning continues to be simply amazing
on the men's side.
*AP Recap Levy Matebo was second (2:05:16) and Albert Matebor third (2:05:25) as the women's CR was broken by Mamitu Daska (2:21:59).
Pre-Race: Last Year's 2:04:57 Course Record Holder Wilson Kipsang Says World Record Can Fall At Sunday's BMW Frankfurt Marathon Kipsang may be getting a bit ahead of himself, but he's very good. More on Kipsang here.
Bank Of America Chicago Marathon *Results *Yahoo Photos
LRC Moses Mosop A Superstar, Liliya Shobukhova Becomes Second-Fastest Woman Ever Updated Moses Mosop dominated the final miles in Chicago after Wesley Korir tried to make it interesting. Russian Liliya Shobukhova ran 2:18:20 to become the second-fastest woman ever. American Ryan Hall ran 2:08:04 for 5th. Great for any other American marathoner, so-so for him.
LRC: Wesley Korir Impresses With 2:06:15 Second Place In Chicago The former Louisville Cardinal broke the race up with a surge at 30km. Afterwards, he revealed what he was trying to do.
LRC Quick Recap With Men's Splits: Moses Mosop Breaks Course Record At 2011 Bank Of America Chicago Marathon, Shobukhova Runs 2:18:20
- Wow -
We Didn't See This Coming: World Indoor TJ Champ And WR Holder Teddy Tamgho Banned For 6 Months For Fighting With Female At French Training Camp Conveniently, the suspension ends in May - well before the Olympics - but he will miss out on defending his world indoor title (assuming that was possible, as he broke his ankle).
*"Not clear if Tamgho actually punched the woman"
*Tamgho has "expressed his regrets and acknowledges the verdict."
- Earlier Rival Phillips Idowu Will Ban His Partner and Kids From Watching Him "They're not coming. No way, man. I'd be worried they were okay. If I see them in the stadium, or hear my son crying, it distracts me."
- Quitters Never Win Meet Colombia's 1st-Ever World Championships Medallist - TJer Caterine Ibargüen The former HJer wanted to quit the sport when she failed to qualify for the Olympics in 2008 but now she has a bronze in the TJ. "When I failed to qualify for the 2008 Games, I felt depressed, like I wanted to quit the sport."
USATF Can Relate: Athletics Ireland's Sacking Of Its CEO In 2009 Cost It Over €800,000 "The report also points out that the settlement was 'without admission of liability,' but if handing over €800,000 of Irish sport's money is not an admission of liability, then it's hard to know what is."
Genetics Are Key Dyestat Profiles 2-Time Foot Locker Finalist Catarina Rocha, Who Is The Daughter Of 2 Finalists (As Well As Niece Of Another) This article will depress anyone who doesn't think genetics are HUGE in running, as Rocha had never even heard of Foot Lockers until she went out for cross-country before her sophomore year and she ended up making the meet that year.
News From Britain:
- Mo Farah Will Open Season On Jan. 28th In Glasgow In 1,500
- West Ham: Olympic Stadium Doesn't Need Football (Soccer) Tenant To Be Financially Viable
- British Looking For Naming Rights Deal For Olympic Stadium To Close £20 Million Gap LetsRun.com was looking into doing the deal until it was revealed that it will be called "Olympic" stadium for the Games and then LetsRun.com or Random Company Stadium after that. Who would want to sponsor the Olympic stadium if it didn't cover the Olympics?
- Olympic Rings Put In France On English Channel Train Tunnel Entrance To Celebrate Olympics
Japan Distance Running News
- Ridiculous: 2 Weeks After Running 2:09 At Fukuoka, Yuki Kawauchi Runs 2:12:33 For 2nd Place At Hofu Yomiuri Marathon Mongolia's Serod Bat-Ochir won the race in 2:11:56. *MB: yuki kawauchi 2nd in 2:12.33
- IAAF Recap Of Japan National Corporate Women's Ekiden Championships 2009 World Champs marathon silver medalist Yoshimi Ozaki led Dai-ichi to the team victory. *Japan Running News Recap
- Japan Marathon NR Holder Mizuki Noguchi To Race Dec. 23rd Sanyo Women's Half Marathon She'll us it as a tuneup for the Jan. 29 Osaka International Women's Marathon, where she'll be up against Japan half marathon NR holder Kayko Fukushi.
- Wow: Former TJ World Champ Charles Friedek Sued The German Olympic Federation For Not Taking Him To The Olympics ... And He WON! The article is translated from German, but says something about a settlement of €70,000.
- UK Sprinter Who Put Himself Up For Auction On Ebay Still Waiting To Find Out Who His Sponsor Is
- BOA Says If They Lose CAS Case, Former Drug Cheats Will Get "the same treatment as anybody else and we will wish them luck."
- Euro 200m Record Holder Pietro Mennea Looks Back On Career And 1980 Olympic Win Mennea had the WR for 17 years before Michael Johnson broke it.
- Lengthy Article On Ireland's Fionnuala Britton And Her Victory At Euro XC Champs
- SPAR Euro XC Champ Emma Pallant To Lead British Team At Edinburgh XC Race On Jan. 7th
NCAA, High School, And The NFL
- NY Times Article (By Former Maryland Track Athlete) Chronicles Maryland's Journey From Top Program To Another Budget Cut On raising money for the team, former AD Dick Dull said, "A lot of possible donors don't believe they should pay for what they feel the institution should be paying for themselves."
- The Best Track Athletes In The NFL - All-Time Lists For NFL Players TrackSuperFan compiled all-time lists for NFL players in the various track and field events.
- Fresh Off FL Win, Edward Cheserek Wins Mile In 4:09
- Did Cheserek Put Friendship Ahead Of Records In Foot Locker Duel? Author suggests that he didn't want to embarrass Futsum by beating him by too much, but offers zero real evidence.
The Boltlympics: Jamaican Paper Says The IAAF Should Change The Olympic Event Schedule So Usain Bolt Can Run The 4 X 4 "Many suspect that the IAAF moved the 4 x 100 to last because of Bolt. Now that it is publicly known that he wants to chase four gold medals in London, it's time to change the schedule back."
TJer Teddy Tamgho "Could Miss Olympics" & Other News
- France's World Indoor TJ Champ Teddy Tamgho "Could Miss Olympics" After Getting In Fight With Athlete At French Training Camp We don't have the specifics on this, but it would be pretty ridiculous if they actually didn't let him compete, as during the Monaco DL meet French runners Mehdi Baala and Mahiedine Mekhissi-Benabbad had a fist fight after the 1,500 and were still allowed to run at Worlds.
- Mo Farah Blogs Mostly About His Thoughts On His 10k At WCs "If you look at my face on the video (of the 5k), I'm looking out for [Lagat] out of the corner of my eye, because I knew he was coming."
- Now 17, Jacko Gill Is Old Enough To Compete In The Olympics, But NZ Still Won't Let Him In Their National Championships Consequently, Gill might compete at the Australian championships instead.
- UK Sprinter James Ellington Successfully Sponsored Himself Via Ebay He went for 32,550 pounds ($50,543).
- Carl Fletcher Drug Trafficking Case A Major Landmark For UK Anti-Doping They're happy to be going after the source, rather than just the athletes.
US News Updates
- NCAA Reaches $500 Million Deal With ESPN Which Includes TV Rights To DI Outdoor Track & Field
- Officials Say Illness At RnR Vegas Was Unlikely Caused By Tainted Water However, they have no ideas what another cause could be.
- If You Missed Out On The Whole Logo Issue At The USATF Meeting, This Article Does A Good Job Explaining Also has some details and good quotes from athletes and officials not mentioned in any articles previously.
- Maryland Sports Cut Called "Ridiculous And Pathetic" We agree.
- North Shore Girls Break HS National 4 X 1,500m Record At The Armory 18:50.91 (worth about 20:21 for 4 x Mile), which broke the record by 25 seconds.
A Look Back On Dick Beardsley's Life And Many Many Freak Accident Injuries Talks about how through all the injuries and surgeries, for a time he became addicted to pain killers and was taking 80-90 a day.
International News Of Note
- European XC Champ Atelaw Bekele Up Against Isiah Kiplangat Koech In Brussels XC Race The guy runs very impressive XC races for someone who only has a 29:47 10k and 13:43 5k on the track.
- Usain Bolt Says To Become A "Legend," He Must Defend His Three Olympic Titles
- Christophe Lemaitre Will Defend European Indoor Titles In 100m And 4 X 100, But Not The 200 Says the turns in the Helsinki stadium are too tight for his long legs.
- Jessica Ennis Uses Photograph Of Her Losing World Champs Heptathlon As Motivation "I'll have it somewhere so I can have a sneaky look now and then. Just to add a bit of fuel to the fire."
- Last Week Holly Bleasdale Broke UK Pole Vault Record With 4.71m
- UK's Sprinter Bernice Wilson Facing A 4-Year Ban She got caught using two performance-enhancing drugs.
LRC's Blue-Collar Hero Makes News Again
- Unbelievable: 2 Weeks After Running 2:09 At Fukuoka, Amateur Hero Yuki Kawauchi Will Race Another Marathon This Weekend We had thought for sure this was a half marathon, as this is truly crazy - plus he's running Tokyo in February.
*Japanese Collegian Takuro Nakanishi Also Is Running Hofu Yomiuri Marathon He's got a 13:58 5k PR but is dreaming of London 2012.
Rich Get Richer (And The Poor Get Poorer) 3:58 Miler Riley Masters Leaves Native Maine In Middle Of Jr. Year For Oklahoma Masters dropped his mile time by 18 seconds at Maine but is now going "big-time."
*MB: Riley Masters confirms transfer to Oklahoma in January
Week That Was
LRC Foot Lockers, Fukuoka Pulling People From The Course, Africans NOT Running To School, Chinese Dopers, And Sam Chelanga's YouTube Video It was the end of the US high school season, the beginning of the Australian pro season, and we take a look at it all, exactly one month before next month's Olympic Marathon Trials.
- Double Olympic Champion Daley Thompson Backs British Olymipc Lifetime Ban For Cheats
- UK Anti-Doping Head Says He's Glad Ban Will Be Decided By CAS
- 5 Indian Athletes Test Positive
Oscar Ponce Charged With 2nd Sexual Assault, Authorities Can't Find Him Ponce posted a $50,000 bond yesterday and now the authorities want to charge him with a second crime and can't find him. The first charge involves a victim under the age of 15.
On The Boards: Oscar Ponce Arrested
Dysfunctional Athletics S. Africa Gets A New CEO Athletics S. Africa is about as dysfunctional as it gets and they were only without a CEO for 10 months. USATF hasn't had one for 15 months.
We also hear that Steve Holman and Jack Wickens have resigned from the USATF board.
UMD Track & Field Generates Big News
- Wash Post: U-Md. Terps' Cutbacks And Why Big Universities Need Small Sports
- NYTimes: Olympic Coach Andrew Valmon Is Trying To Raise $4.2 Million By July To Keep UMD Program
- One Day After Resigning From UPenn For "Health Reasons," UPenn's Charlie Powell Acccepts Job At Spire Academy In Ohio Powell's a good mid-d coach. In a better world, the Penn announcement would have mentioned the Spire opportunity. *Powell's "Retirement" Statement "I must admit, I loved every minute of my 29 years here, and I will always call Penn and this program my own and my home ... Thank you all. It's been a great journey."
- Ridiculous: PAC-12 Conference Hoping To Expand Presence To China
Tuesday's Distance News
- Hamstring Injury Has Caused Tera Moody To Miss A Month Of Training Before Trials If anyone can come back quickly, it is Tera, as she did it before Worlds, but time is against her here. RW Brief Chat
Goucher's Goal For Miami Was Only 73 Minutes She, too, is coming back from injury and ran 72:59. IAAF
- 29:53 Ethiopian Meselech Melkamu To Be In Kenya As A Guest Of Paul Tergat's At Athlete Of Year Awards
- Dutch Watchdog Group Says Utrecht Marathon Discriminated By Having €100 Prize For Race Winner, €10,000 For The First Dutchman The solution: Call it a national championship.
Both Very Different But Interesting
LJ Van Zyl Gets Engaged To Golden Girl Of S. African Road Running
Victor Conte Explains How Ryan Braun And Many Others Likely Micro Dope At Night And Don't Worry About Getting Caught Braun, the NL MVP, did test positive and claims his innocence. If convicted, he'll only sit out 50 games. Imagine if he had to sit out 2 years. Our apologies for earlier mistakenly calling Ryan "Aaron." No disrespect meant to the runner.
Miami Half Marathon:
Flanagan Looks Good For The OTrials, Goucher??
Flanagan Flies (69:58), Goucher Runs 72:59 But Leaves Upbeat & Simon Bairu Finds It Harder Than Expected To Run 65:38 Flanagan ran the fastest loop course US time of the year; Goucher, who ran 1:09:08 1 month before the Boston Marathon, only ran 72:59 but left the race upbeat. In the men's race, Miami Heat fan Simon Bairu found it harder than he expected to run 5-minute pace in a race that sub-4 miler Christian Hesch led early. *MB Talk: Simon Bairu, Brent Vaughn 1:05 Tempo Runs, Shalane Flanagan 1:09:58, Kara Goucher 1:12:59
Club XC Nationals *Videos
USATF Profiles The Toughest Distance Runner On The Planet - Max King The ultra/trail star is now turning his attention to his ultimate goal:"I have some goals within ultra running and winning ultra trail races, but my immediate goal is making the Olympic team." King was 7th at club nats.
Men's Results: Jonathan Grey Of Team USA Minnesota Wins Convincingly Aaron Braun 2nd, Centro 4th, McMillan Elite wins team title over Boulder Running Co. Prior to this, Grey's claim to fame was a 5th at NCAA indoors. If you have no idea who he is, click here.
Women's Results: Brie Felnagle Over Neely Spence Adidas/Team Rogue Elite wins.
On The Boards: Club Cross Updates?
2011 European XC *Results
- Euro Women: Ireland's Fionnuala Britton Gets 2nd Irish Title At Europeans She joins
Sonia O'SullivanCatherina McKiernan as an Irish champ.
- Men: Belgium's Atelaw Yeshe Bekele Goes Wire-To-Wire, Lebid Drops Out
- IAAF Recap: Ethiopian-Born Bekele Dominates Sr. Men's Race No, not Kenenisa.
- BBC: GB dominate at Euro cross country
- Eurosport: Britain Reigns Supreme With 12 Medals - 6 Gold Steph Twell was 4th in U23 women's.
- Under-23 Women: Emma Pallant Leads British 1-2
- Under-23 Men: France's Florian Carvalho Gets Under 23 Win
More News From Britain:
- Interesting: Every Single Men's Distance Gold Medallist From Beijing Will Race Each Other In XC Race In Britain On Jan 7th Kiprop (1,500) vs. Bekele (5/10) vs. Kipruto (steeple). Bekele says his training has been going well.
- Possible Bad News For GBR: 20-Year-Old Charlotte Purdue Injured Her Knee In Kenya
Honolulu Marathon Results: Chelimo Outkicks Ivuti, Marathon Debut Of Former Arkansas Star Josphat Boit
Zatopek 10k: Emmanuel Bett Outkicks Bitan Karoki To Win In 27:39, Ben St. Lawrence Wins Aussie Title Bett, 28, is fairly new to the pro ranks but quickly making a name for himself. One spot behind Galen Rupp in Brussels this year (26:51), he got his first big track win. Craig Mottram surprisingly could not stay with 13:56 pace. *Zatopek:10 Results
- Post-Zatopek News Since He's The Only With "A" Standard - Ben St. Lawrence Is Definitely Going To The Olympics He ran a conservative race (28:01) as he just wanted to make sure he was the top Aussie. Former NAU star David McNeill was next in 28:12.
- IAAF Recap Of Zatopek 10km
- Melbourne Herald: Mixed bag for Ben St Lawrence and Craig Mottram in Zatopek:10
- Rec. Read: "A Kenyan Brotherhood" Talks about Kenyan camaraderie worldwide. Olympic steeple champ Reuben Kosgei says of Bernard Lagat, "He's still Kenyan." Plus Mention of Karoki being added to field.
Two Recommended Reads From The 1968 Mexico City Olympic Games
- NPR Story On Mexico City Olympic
GoldBronze Medallist John Carlos Carlos was made famous by making his iconic "black power" salute on the medal stand and received a ton of backlash for it, including threats on his life. The pressure led his wife to kill herself, but he still says he would do it again.
- 1972 Olympic 400m Gold Medallist Vincent Matthews (4 X 4 Gold In '68) Inducted Into T&F Hall Of Fame Matthews: "I had to work. I had to have a job. There was no possible way of making money from track. The top guys of today, they can't understand what we went through." He talks about night-time practice sessions where they scaled the fence of a locked-up high school track.
Week That Was
LRC Centro Goes Pro (Should German Have Too?), Kawauchi, NXN, And How Soft Are The Women's Olympic Marathon Trials Standards? We cover the big stories in the world of running in the last week, the ones above, plus the USATF convention and we take a look at the amazing depth of the Fukuoka marathon, where you can't compete unless you can run under 2:42.
2 Weeks And NCAAs In Review
LRC NCAAs Go According To Form, Chris Derrick's College Career Comes To An End, Tim Tebow = Don't Overtrain, Track Returns To The Garden, And Alan Webb Has Sex Now that we've got your attention with the Alan Webb headline, get your weekly read on the running world. After the Thanksgiving break, we're back with a good week in review if we must say so ourselves. Plus a little comedy if you haven't seen the Border Clash XC false-start video.
The Uganda Witch Trials
Moses Kipsiro & Other Top Athletes Flee Home Training Area Because Of Witchcraft Where the 12:50 performer Kipsiro lives, the police get three reports a week of witches operating. Recently two women in their 80s were thrown off a cliff.
A Brief Chat With 4:07 1,500-Meter Runner Katie Follett A recent engagement has resulted in a new coach for the first year pro.
This Would Have Been Quote Of The Day Had It Not Been For Centro: Question For NCAA #4 And Canadian XC Champ Cam Levins - Q: What was your average mileage per week throughout the fall season? A: 155+ miles *MB: Cam Levins is my new favorite runner
2011 NCAAs Are History *Men's Results *Women's Results *Entire Race Video Replays
Women: LRC Georgetown, Reid Win Tight Battles Six women kicked for home over the last 400m of the race but in
the end it turned into the duel
many expected and Sheila Reid of Villanova got the narrow win over Jordan Hasay.
The big surprise was in the team's race, where the Georgetown women, who were only third at Big East, won by eight over Washington as #1 Florida State faltered and finished 4th. *Discuss
More: *Georgetown Gets Its First National CC Title GUHoyas.com
*Washington Comes Up 8 Points Short GoHuskies.com
*#1 FSU Finishes 4th & Coach Karen Harvey Pulls No Punches"I felt like I was watching a nightmare. I really thought there was no way this is happening." www.seminoles.com
*Wetmore Says 11th-Placed Colorado Women Purposely Peaked For PAC-12s, Not NCAAs www.denverpost.com
*The FSU women finished fourth and the men 12th at NCAA Cross Country Championships www.seminoles.com
*Lananna Says Hasay's Runner-Up Finish Was A Big Step Forward As She Didn't Get Antsy & Kick Too Early www.oregonlive.com
He Will Be Missed Adam Goucher Retires Goucher is having knee surgery on Friday and says his competitive racing career is over. We've always said that one way to judge whether a runner's
career was a good one or not is simple: Were They Good Enough That They Could Retire Or Just Quit? Goucher certainly is retiring, as he had an INCREDIBLE career - Foot Locker champ, NCAA champ indoors, NCAA champ outdoors
and NCAA champ in XC, USA champ in XC and track and an Olympian. Goucher is a runner at heart and we wouldn't rule out seeing him in the 2016 Marathon Trials.
*MB: Adam Goucher retires
*DOW To Drop Logo From London Stadium Wrap Indian Olympic Association is still not satisfied and wants DOW to remove its sponsorship from the 2012 Games completely.
*Sally Pearson Out For 2 Weeks With Quad Strain
*Early Christmas Gift: Yohan Blake Gets A Hyundai Veloste
*After Arab Games, Lamine Diack Says Doha Is Qualified To Host 2019 World Champs
The Olympic Marathon Trials Are Less Than A Month Away ... Desi And The Hansons Are Getting Ready (More Here)
Final 800 (Or Excellent 10-Minute Highlight Video, Just Move The Slider) Of Zatopek 10k (More Here)
Final 600 Of Foot Locker Boys Race (For A Larger Video Or To Watch Full Race, Click Here)
*Yohan Blake Signs Multi-Million Jamaican Dollar Endorsement Deal With WATA Bottled Water The conversion rate is 1USD to 85 Jamaican.
*It's Always About The Money Usain Bolt And Yohan Blake Might Race Before London ... If Someone Is Willing To Pay For It Glen Mills: "Track and field is not just a sport, it's also a business ... so it all depends on what meets are able to afford both runners to run in the same event."
*Mills Happy To See IAAF Lower A Standards
*COLD: A Marathon In Antarctica Our question is what was the winning time?
*Michael Johnson Wouldn't Have Let Oscar P Race World Champs
NCAA Women's Photo Gallery
NCAA Men's Photo Gallery (500+ Photos)
Beautiful People (NCAA XC Banquet Photos)
Asafa Powell And Veronica Campbell-Brown Racing At US Open (Madison Square Garden Games Should Be The Name) Tickets go on sale today. In other news, the Meet Formerly Known as the Millrose Games announced its schedule (Brittney Reese and Jesse
jumping). This all would be much easier if the meet going to be held in the Armory let the meet being held in the Garden have its name back. Track and Field needs to be on the biggest stage possible. That means national TV in the Garden.
We didn't realize that the meets are even on the same day. Update: The meets are on different days. The problem is "the Millrose" meet at the Armory does not seem to be in control of the Millrose
website, so we looked at last year's date by accident.
Good Read: 60 Seconds With Maurice Greene (He Talks About Partying, Jon Drummond Peeing In His Lane Before A Race) We're still grateful for the time Maurice threw a party in LA in 2005 and it was open bar for a half an hour on his tab.
Usain Bolt Q&A And Video Interview With ESPN The Magazine
Cross-Country For The "Geekiest" And "Nerdiest" (Discuss Here)
LRC Catching Up With Olympian Michael Stember:
Olympian Stember On Dunking A Basketball, Nerds Running Cross-Country, And Trying To Break 18 Minutes For 5k We know it drives a few people nuts when we call one of our own interviews a MUST read, but we are quite proud of this one. Stember talks about everything - from wondering if he really should have been an 800-meter runner, to having figured out the inner-city school problem, to solving the energy crisis and much more. Along the way he admits he once ran a 4-minute mile after months of drinking and only 3 weeks of running, admits to Gallowalking during his current training and says he has secured a rabbit to pace him to a sub-18 5k so he can win his bet on CharityBets.
NYC Men's Photo Gallery
NYC Women's Photo Gallery
Training Corner (More In The Training Forum)
- Anyone else run hard workouts in the very-early morning?
- Stitches, breathing, and racing
- Anyone ever made a comeback after something serious (cancer)?
- I lost the spark between me and running
- How to develop speed endurance
BMW Berlin Marathon Photos! Makau Takes Geb's World Record
A Scintillating Men's 10,000 Finish (US Visitors Only)
Universal Sports Back To Top