2011 NYC Half *Top 50 Results *LRC Photos *Great On-Demand Video Coverage
Mo Farah Gets Win & Caroline Rotich Gets Course Record But Galen Rupp Steals The Headlines In his half-marathon debut, Mo Farah won a 3-way sprint with
Gebremarian and Galen
Rupp as he took the victory in 60:23. Rupp made waves early by wearing a mask, then falling down, but then made way bigger waves late with his legs as he got faster each 5k (15:05-14:27-14:04-13:53) to became the 5th-fastest American in history thanks to his spectacular 60:30 debut. The 'old' guard of US men's distance running didn't
do nearly as well as Meb Keflezighi ran 62:52, Abdi ran 63:12 and Ryan Hall was way back in 63:53. But the 'old' woman, Kara Goucher, was great as she ran 69:03 to get third (remember she ran 74:02 in January).
*Telegraph Recap: Mo Farah Wins His Half-Marathon Debut In New York Afterwards, he says Salazar has him in the best shape of his life.
*Salazar's Runners Farah, Rupp and Goucher All Leave New York Very Pleased
*RRW Recap *AP Recap of NYC Half-Marathon *WSJ Recap of NYC Half-Marathon
*Alistair Cragg Breaks Martin Fagan's Irish Record By Running 60:49
Zersenay Tadese Misses His Own WR But Runs 2nd Fastest Half-Marathon Ever (58:30) In Portugal Despite having little help from rabbits and having to run into the wind
the last 3-miles, Tadese was great as usual at the 13.1 distance.
Weekend Track Action
Fort Worth: Jeremy Wariner Runs 20.71, Sanya Richards-Ross 23.06, And Jessica Young 11.14 At TCU Invite It was the fastest 200m season opener in 4 years for Wariner. TCU Results
Sydney: David Rudisha's 1:44 Easily Beats Asbel Kiprop, Mitchell Watt Long Jumps 8.38, And 15-Year-Old Aussie Anna Laman Runs 4:13 1,500m *Results
On The Boards: Jordan Hasay who? Aussie 14yo girl runs 4:13.62
Previous NYC Half News
The Americans Take Center Stage In NYC: Meb Vs. Ryan Vs. Rupp (And Abdi) The NYRR had a live, professionally-produced show overlooking Times Square on Thursday and the American men's hopefuls got the attention, as one of them could walk away victorious on Sunday (only 3 men have broken 60-flat in the field, one of them is American (Ryan) and one of them (dos Santos) isn't likely in shape to do it now, although
World XC and
NYC Marathon Champ Gebre Gebremariam is in the field). You can watch a replay of the Times Square show.
More NYC Half Coveage:
- Kara Goucher And Galen Rupp Testing Themselves In The NYC Half Marathon This is twice as far as Rupp has raced before, and for Kara Goucher, this is a step along the way to her greater goal of winning Boston.
- NYRR: Japan's Yuri Kano To Run The NYC Half The defending champ of the Nagoya Ladies Marathon, she was set to defend her title until last week's natural disasters in Japan cancelled the race. *2nd Article
- Interview With Galen Rupp Before NYC
- Mo Farah Will Put His New High Mileage Training To The Test At NYC Half He has been training in Oregon with Rupp, but says that once the race starts, "there are no mates."
- Mo Farah Adjusting To Salazar's Training And Testing The Waters In NYC
- Ryan Hall Ready To Return To Streets Of New York For 2011 New York Half Marathon
- NYC Half Field Highlights Race Results Weekly
- Lindsey Scherf Has Tried To Use Her Dad's Death To Inspire Her Running The American junior 10k record holder is running the NYC Half.
- Meb And Abdi Racing Against Each Other For The 50th Time At NYC Half Marathon espn.com Their 50 matchups also got a graphic on the homepage of the USA Today sports section. Now someone needs to get this race's highlights on ESPN.
- NY Times Remembers Sally Meyerhoff
- UK's 2006 Commonwealth 5k Silver Medallist Jo Pavey Returns From Injury To Race In NYC
More On Salazar And The Oregon Project
- Podcast With Alberto Salazar Topics range from his own competitive career to his current coaching situation to the recent running advice he gave to Lance Armstrong.
- Mo Farah Now Officially A Part Of Nike And "The Oregon Project"
- Wall Street Journal: Alberto Salazar Takes A "Mad Scientist" Approach To Training With everything from underwater treadmills and altitude tents to cryosauna chambers, this is the exact opposite of what you would call "blue collar running."
(Half) Marathon-Related News
- Interview With Haile Gebrselassie: "For me it is very simple. I have to run. If I stop, I die."
- WR Holder Zersenay Tadese Returns To Lisbon Half Marathon To Try And Break Record Again He currently holds record at 58:23 and there is a $50,000 bonus offer to anyone who breaks it.
- Rome Marathon: Ethiopia's Siraj Gena Returns To Defend Title, Firehiwot Dado Going For Three-Peat In Women's Race
- Wesley Korir Going For Three-Peat In LA Marathon Women get 17:03 head start, first to line gets $100,000. Wesley Korir: "Last year I had just got married. I had to make sure I don't chase the women. But now I have been married one year, my wife has given me permission to chase the women."
- Frank Shorter Still Keeping Busy, Still Involved With Running
- Wall Street Journal: Marathoners Run U.S. Races In Record Numbers
Paula's Back - And Other Upcoming Action
- Paula Radcliffe To Return To Action May 15th At Great Manchester Run 10k *2nd Article
- Paula: "I know what it takes to achieve at the top level. You can't take short cuts, your body has to be able to do it - or it doesn't."
- Amy Hastings Running LA Marathon This Weekend
- Simon Bairu To Race Reid Coolsaet At Scotiabank Toronto Marathon This Fall
2011 NCAA Champs *Full Results *2011 Event-By-Event Results With Splits *LRC Women's Preview *LRC Men's Preview *LRC Day 1 Photos *Video Highlights (48 Hours Only) Within Articles Or On Right
Day 2: LRC 3ks: Hasay Becomes A Legend, Heath Unleashes His Legendary Kick As of Fri. night, Jordan Hasay was viewed as the former teen prodigy who couldn't quite kick for the big one in college. Now, just as was the case for Galen Rupp two years ago, she is college distance running's biggest star, as she won the mile and then came back in the 3k to make herself into a legend by turning the tables on Sheila Reid. Stanford's Elliott Heath's kick was even more lethal, as he destroyed a super-talented men's 3k field over the final 140m. Includes last lap video coverage.
Day 2: LRC Mid-D: Hasay Gets Title #1, Batty Gets Title #2, Fred Samoei Wins A Nailbiter, And BYU's Bleazard Dominates After being outkicked in the DMR on Fri. night, Jordan Hasay outkicked the competition to grab her first NCAA title as BYU's Miles Batty completed the double in the men's mile, holding off a spirited challenge from Tulsa's Chris O'Hare. The men's 800 featured the best finish of the night as Michael Rutt's bold move to the lead 400 meters in almost held up. In the women' s 800, BYU's Lacey Bleazard won her 2nd indoor title - it's a shame the ESPN3 announcers had no idea who she was. Includes last lap video coverage.
Day 1: LRC DMR: Villanova's Reid Outkicks Oregon's Hasay, BYU's Miles Batty Holds Off Incredible 3:53 Anchor From Andy Bayer Both DMRs had great finishes. The women were first and 'Nova's Sheila
Reid and Oregon's Jordan
Hasay put on
battle for the ages. On the men's side, Andy Bayer split a sick 3:53 to take Indiana from 9th to 2nd, but it was not enough to overtake BYU's Miles Batty, as the night of incredible men's distance running continued with three sub-3:55 splits. Arizona's Lawi Lalang split 3:56.9 and his team lost 3 spots. Recap, interviews, photos, and video of last laps.
LRC 5,000m Recaps: Unheralded Leonard Korir Storms To NCAA Record, Jackie Areson Impresses, Mia Behm Surprises Everyone The men's 5,000m witnessed Iona's Leonard Korir winning a scorching-fast 5k in 13:26.01 over Sam Chelanga, as three guys broke the previous NCAA meet record. On the women's side, Jackie Areson put on a display over the last 600m and Mia Behm, who was 7th at the Big 12, shocked everyone to get 2nd. Recap and interviews
Day 1: AP Recap In the multis, Brianne Theisen broke her record in the pentathlon.
LRC 800 Prelims Recap
LRC Mile Prelims Recap
*With Only Indoor Eligbility Left, Jackie Areson Will Cherish Her 1st NCAA Title She put on a clinic in the 5k.
*Meet Texas A&M's Joey Roberts The profile of the 800 is a good one and it came out before he false started in the prelims.
NCAA D1 LRC Talk
800: *Greer!? *Greer and Loxsom ... WTF happened?
Mile: *Mile prelims NOW *4:00 mile at altitude doesn't translate to anything at sea level
DMR: *Congratulations to Villanova women's team on an XC champs, and DMR champs double! *Tired Jordan Hasay gets beat by fresh Sheila Reid *Hasay would have won had she not had to lead 7 laps
5k: *5k Play-By-Play *LEONARD MF KORIR!!! *Sam Chelanga: what does his future hold? *Women's 5K - Van Dalen - DNF??
Sad News: Sally Meyerhoff Killed In Cycling Accident The two-time All-American and US Olympic Trials qualifier as well former US champion at 25km was killed on Tuesday in a cycling accident at the young age of 27 while she trained for the Ironman World
Championship. *LRC MB: Sad News: Sally Meyerhoff Killed in Accident
*Abc15.com Article With Video On Meyerhoff's Death
*Ahwatukee.com Article On Meyerhoff's Death
*New York Road Runners Article
*More Sad News: Florida High School Track Athlete Sarah Landauer Dies After Collapsing At Practice
Melbourne Track Classic *LRC Melbourne Talk *Full Results *Event-By-Event Results *Photo Gallery *Post-Race 5k Interviews *Recap & 5k Video
A Dream Outdoor US Track Matchup In March In Australia
LRC: Bernard Lagat Wins And Leads Five To "A" Standard; Jeff Risesey Stuns Kiprop And Willis (And Webb) In 1,500; David Rudisha Cruises To 1:43.88 Win In 800 The Melbourne Track Classic was full of hot distance action. In the 5k, Lagat (13:08.43) pulled away from Chris Solinsky (13:10.22) and then held off a shocking late charge by Australia's Ben St. Lawrence, who had a massive 15-second personal best to finish second, as Matt Tegenkamp and the surprising Andrew Bumbalough also got the "A"' standard. In the 1,500, Jeff Riseley came in saying he was in even better shape than last year and then backed it up by getting an upest win for the second-straight year in 3:36.71, as American Alan Webb (3:37.82) drastically improved his 2011 fortunes by finishing right behind the Olympic gold medallist Asbel Kiprop (3:37.63) and well ahead of the Olympic silver medallist Nick Willis (3:38.76), as David Rudisha (1:43.88) and Nick Symmonds (1:45.08) opened fast.
Week In Review
LRC Week That Was: Haile G Jokes, Bernard, Galen And Jenny, The Track & Field Labor Dispute, And Our Hero Kawauchi We span the globe to cover the running world like no one else. From the roads of Tokyo to the mountains of New Mexico, we've got it covered.
LRC Bernard Lagat Wins 3,000m At USA Indoors And Makes It Look Easy Galen Rupp tried his best to beat Bernard Lagat on Saturday night, but Lagat ran away from Rupp with ease on the final lap, reminding us how damn good he is at 3,000m. Last year, when Lagat won World Indoors, we said he was "Utterly Brilliant." This one was "utterly smooth." Jenny Simpson ran away from Sara Hall on the last lap to win the women's 3,000m. More Sunday.
*On The Boards: USATF 5000m: Lagat, 7:57.17, Rupp 7:59.91
*Day 1 Photos
Ju$tice Is Achieved
We Wonder How Much It Cost
Sammy Wanjiru's Attempted Murder Charge Is Dropped He may still have to face charges for having an illegal firearm, but the Olympic marathon champ's wife and watchmen have dropped their accusations. In case you missed it, Wanjiru and his wife reconciled very publicly on Valentine's Day as shown by this video newscast. *Article From Kenyan Paper On Charges Being Dropped
Having Marital Difficulties? Read This: Olympic champ discovers love is truly a marathon.
The Toughest XC Race In The World
Geoffrey Mutai Dominates Kenyan XC, Linet Masai Outkicks Vivian Cheruiyot, Defending Champs Ebuya And Chebet Out Of Worlds If you're looking for the best runner on the planet right now, look no further than Geoffrey Mutai, as he is on an incredible roll and he kept it going Saturday in Kenya. Mutai, who averaged 2:05:03 in his 2 marathons last year (neither of which he won), has now won
XC races in a row in Kenya by dominating margins, as he won by
44 seconds on Saturday if the
results are correct.
On The Boards: Renato Canova On Mutai: "At the moment, there is an athlete clearly stronger than any other in the World, and (it) is Geoffrey Mutai ... There is a reason for this: Geoffrey is preparing Marathon ... Preparing marathon in the modern way, it's possible to be very much competitive in a Cross, 4 weeks before. But preparing a cross with the Kenyan system, you can forget that is possible to run a marathon 4 weeks later.
*Geoffrey Mutai Is Confident Going Into World Cross
The Secret Is ... There Is No Secret
LRC: Shalane Flanagan Gets Bronze The Olympic bronze medallist and ING NYC Marathon runner-up ran a stellar race to snatch the bronze versus a star-studded field. Flanagan appeared to be dropped with 2km to go, but dug deep to stay in contention and battle back for the bronze. World 5,000m champ Vivian Cheruiyot pulled away from World 10,000m champ
Linet Masai for gold. The American women did very well to get a repeat bronze medal.
*IAAF Recap Of Women's Race
*Charlotte Purdue Is Top European On Weekend in 14th In Women's Race If you weren't born in Africa, you didn't finish any better than 21st in the men's race which is where Craig Mottram finished - aided in part as two guys ahead of him came to blows as they ran down the finishing straight. *2nd LRC MB Thread on fight
*Japanese Jr. Girls Earn Bronze
*Cheruiyot: "I have won everything now, save for that elusive Olympic medal."
*Nice Recap of Women's Race *Nice Recap of Races From Kenyan Perspective *Athletics Weekly Recap of World 2011 World XC *Video Highlights Of World XC Women's Race
Men: Imane Merga Blasts Away From Four Kenyans In Sprint To Win The Kenyan men dominated the team competition and had 4 of the top 5 guys in the pack for the sprint the final 400m. However, the lone Ethiopian - Imane Merga, the Diamond League 5,000m champion - got the win the Kenyan nation wants most every year. Ben True was the first American in 36thas he and fellow Ivy Leaguer Max King were America's two best.
*Merga: "Before I used to think of myself as a track runner but this winter I have got to like cross-country races more."
*Craig Mottram Finishes As Top Non-Afrrican Born Male In 21st As Two Guys Ahead Of Him Are DQd For Fighting In Race To Line Eritrea's Samuel Tsegay and Ethiopia's Abera Kuma were given the DQ.
Junior Boys: Geoffrey Kipsang Leads Kenya To 13th Straight Title Kipsang was only 4th at the Kenyan Trials but dominated. High schooler Craig Lutz was the first American in 29th.
Junior Girls: Faith Kipyegon Of Kenya Wins, But Ethiopia Edges Them For Team Title High schooler Aisling Cuffe was the first American in 17th.
Markos Geneti's Marathon Debut Is Spectacular In LA As He Sets California Record With A 2:06:35 The 13:00 flat 5ker went in hoping to run 2:07:30 but ran way faster despite the weather being cold and rainy. Deba Buzunesh beat American Amy Hastings - who led much of the race - by 29 seconds by running 2:26:34. *LRC
MB Thread on Hastings Here *AP Recap
of LA Marathon
*LA Marathon Photo Gallery
*Guy on McDonald's Only Diet Run 2:36 PB More: McRunner.com
Other Weekend Marathons
2:05:30 Man Abderrahim Goumri Wins Seould Marathon in 2:09:11 In Cold & Rainy Conditions IAAF Robe Guta got the win in the women's race (2:26:51). *South Korea's Jeong Jin-hyuk Is Surprised 2nd in 2:09:28
Ethiopia's Firehiwot Dado (2:24:13) Wins Third Straight Rome Marathon
Week That Was
LRC 10 Thoughts On NCAAs We go behind the results and point out some interesting stats from the NCAAs. We not only look at Jordan Hasay's amazing weekend, but also point out how great her DMR loss was. Then we look at the emergence of Elliott Heath and tell you why he likely will end up on an Olympic or Worlds team. Along the way, we give out a history lesson about the greatness of John McDonnell and remind ourselves how he defeated the whole NCAA combined from 1984 to 2008. We also hand out some sympathy for Diego Estrada and Lali Lalang and give some advice to the folks at ESPN. At the very least, it's worth clicking on, as we have a chart with the last 10 years of NCAA mid-d and distance champs on the men's side so you can take a trip down memory lane.
Previous World XC News
- Simon Bairu Gives Glimpse Into What Runners Can Expect At Sunday's World XC Championships Bairu won't be racing this year, but was an impressive 12th last year.
- Recommended Watch Interview With 21-Year-Old Robertson Twins Of New Zealand They left home at age 17 to live and train in Kenya and haven't seen their parents in 4 years! One has a PR of 3:44 in the 1,500 and the other a 5k of 13:32 and they will both be racing in Spain on Sunday.
- Kenyan XC Team Are Ready For War After Rivals Arrive In Spain Early
- Last Rites For World Cross-Country?
- Kenya Ready To Hit Hard At Worlds Team looks deep considering all 4 individual title winners from last year failed to make the team.
- Japan's XC Team Will Be Missing Some Runners In Light Of Last Week's Natural Disasters
US XC Team In-Depth: XCNation.com has a 4-part series on the US team.
- Part IV: Bill Rodgers
- Part III: World XC 2011 Interviews Part III: Legends Craig Virgin, Thom Hunt, Greg Meyer, Ed Eyestone, Steve Plasencia, George Malley
- Part II: Interviews With Brent Vaughn, Magdalena Lewy Boulet, Erik Olson, Molly Grabill, Justin Vilhauer, Ryan Poland, Scott Bauhs, Chris Barnicle And Aisling Cuffe
- Part I: Interviews With Andrew Bumbalough, Molly Huddle, Ammar Moussa, Hannah Valenzuela, Craig Lutz And Blake Russell Before 2011 World XC
- Brent Vaughn And Magdalena Lewy Boulet Named Captains For Team USA
Gebrselassie To Return To Action In Vienna The Emperor is coming off the knee injury which kept him out of Tokyo, but he is confident that he has been able to maintain fitness thanks to cross training. The Vienna Marathon/Half Marathon is a "Catch Me If You Can" event where elite athletes running the marathon will get a head start, and Geb will have to try to run them down.
You Know There's A Problem When ...
Criminals Find That Selling Steroids Is More Profitable Than Heroin
Central Governor Theory Tries To Explain How We Pace Ourselves In A Race Interesting theory on why your body lets you speed up or slow down during a race.
Other Nationals *NCAA D3 Champs *NCAA D2 Champs *HS Nationals Results *Photos
HS: Lukas V. Runs Away From The Top Milers To Complete Historic High School Nationals Triple His double on Sunday was super-impressive, but we had completely forgotten about German
8:34 double at the California state meet.
*IAAF Article On Verzbicas
We Wrote This Article Too Soon:
Gerry Lindgren's Legendary 47-Year-Old High School National Record Survives Scare From Lukas Verzbicas And Edward Cheserek Verzbicas hammered home over the final lap to pull away from Cheserek, but in the end, Lindgren's 8:40.0 lived to see another day, as Verzbicas ran 8:40.70 and Cheserek shattered the high school indoor and overall sophomore class records with his 8:42.66. More: Gerry Lindgren 8:40 indoors *LRC MB Lukas V. 8:40.7!! *LRC MB So close *Running Times Q&A With Lindgren About His 8:40.0 Note: This article incorrectly implies the record was set in a 16-lap race.
*Lucas Verzbicas (14:06.78) & (Waverly Neer) 16:35.15 Set National HS 5,000 Records
*Aisling Cuffe Runs #2 Time Ever For 2 Miles At New Balance Nationals
US 15k: Mo Trafeh And Jen Rhines Continue Winning Ways At Gate River Run staugustine.com
*Top Results Ben True, the guy who arguably had as much talent as Galen Rupp in high school (True skied in the winter, Rupp trained like a pro), continues to improve and was second on the men's side.
*Official USA 15K Gate River Run Championship Thread
LRC Chat: *Verzbicas 14:06i High School Record! *D2 and D3 DMR's.... Really??
Sally Meyerhoff News
- Recommended Read: Sally Meyerhoff Left A Positive Impression On Arizona Journalist Jeff Metcalfe Before she died, Meyerhoff was very happy with where she was in her life.
- Famed Announcer Toni Reavis Writes A Poem About Sally Meyerhoff
- Sally Meyerhoff's Death Felt At High School Meet In Arizona Her former HS teammate, who is now coach, broke down in tears as she handed out blue ribbons (in honor of Duke) to the current athletes on the team.
- US 25k Elite Athlete Coordinator And Former Boston Marathon Champ Greg Meyer Devastated By Meyerhoff's Death He says Meyerhoff was the life of the party the year she won her US title and danced up a storm at Grand Rapids' Crush Nightclub.
- Meyerhoff's Fatal Cycling Accident One Of Roughly 700 Each Year
Week That Was
LRC Week That Was: Melbourne, Old School Performance(s) By Current NCAA Guys You've Never Heard Of, German Fernandez's 4:03 Mile, Josh McDougal, And Runner A Vs. Runner B We span the last week and the globe in the running world like no one else. In addition to the headlnies above, we cover an 81-year-old dude who won his first national championship after trying for 61 years (he made the 1952 Olympic Trials).
- Kawauchi Mania Hits Japan As He Is Overwhelmed At His Job With Media Requests; His 18-Year-Old Kid Brother Was His Official Coach In Tokyo He may get $30,000 from the federation to train for Worlds.
- Kawauchi: "I run with no fear of dying."
Rupp To Run A Half, Plus Alberto Speaks
LRC It's Official: Galen Rupp To Make Half Marathon Debut At 2011 NYC Half Marathon Denied an attempt at the American 10k record because of the NZ earthquake, Rupp will be taking his endurance-based fitness to the streets of New York on March 20. Read about the thinking behind the decision as Alberto Salazar talked in great length about Rupp's training, the Oregon Track Club/Oregon Project split, and much more. Also, Eugene fans, get ready for a hot 10,000 in early June that won't include Rupp.
Tokyo Marathon: A Legend Is Born *Photos
Hailu Mekonnen Wins, Japanese Amateur Yuki Kawauchi Runs Amazing 2:08:37 For 3rd And Faints At Finish Yuki Kawauchi's story is amazing.
A 13:59 5ker and 29:02 10ker, he has a full-time job and has stayed away from the Japanese collegiate and professional system, yet he stunned all of Japan with a 2:08:37 run. Dreams do become reality.
*On The Boards: 13:59 5k, 29:02 10k Japanese AMATEUR Runs 2:08:37 at Tokyo Marathon and Passes Out
*Yuki Kawauchi Is "The Rocky Of The Marathon World" *He will race at World Champs by taking vacation days from his full-time job.
*Japanese Federation Feeling Impact Of Kawauchi's Run
*Summary Of Post-Race Press Conference
*Chilean Miner Edison Pena Runs 5:08:19 In Tokyo, 30-Minute PR
Records For Rupp And Farah *Video Of Rupp's And Farah's Race
Galen Rupp & Mo Farah Set National 5k Records!
(13:11.44 and 13:10.60) The two Alberto Salazar-coached athletes put on a brave battle, with Farah coming out on top on the last lap, as Rupp regained his American record from Bernard Lagat by .06. Rupp and Farah will be training together through 2012 and their partnership is off to a strong start. Rupp is scheduled to go for the American 10k record next week in New Zealand. The meet also saw a cool 400m hurdles race (video
here or on the right), an 8:30 3k and American Morgan Uceny going sub-2:00 in the 800.
*Mo Farah Breaks British 5,000m Record With His New Coach Alberto Salazar One Of The 8,000 In Attendance Telegraph.co.uk
*Farah Credits Salazar's Coaching
*Rupp/Farah 5k Video
US XC Champs In San Diego *Results
Brent Vaughn Wins Convincingly, Shalane Flanagan And The Other Winners Dominate Vaughn, the CU record holder at 5k (think about that for a second) dominated the field the 2nd half of the race to win by 6 seconds, the smallest margin of victory of the day. Shalane Flanagan totally destroyed Molly Huddle, winning by 44 seconds, and getting a little revenge for Huddle taking her 5k American record last year. Foot Locker champ Aisling Cuffe won the junior girls race convincingly. 49-year-old Master Pete Magill won in the men's masters ranks, while Colleen De Reuck showed she was in the wrong race, winning by 1:34.
Good Read: Jerry Schumacher Profile In Portland Paper Got to be a quote of the day in here somewhere.
US Half Champs In Houston *Results, Prize Money, Splits *Updated Photos *Live Thread
Men: LRC Mo Trafeh Outkicks Ryan Hall Ryan Hall, Mo Trafeh and Patrick Smyth battled together on the streets
Houston for 11 miles. In the twelfth mile, Hall tried to push ahead. Smyth was the first to crack, but Trafeh stayed on Hall's
heels. With 200m to go, Trafeh gave it one final surge and passed Hall to get the win.
*Video Of Men's Finish *Men's Post-Race Interviews
Women: LRC Jen Rhines' Return Trumps Burla's After a 4-year absence, Jen Rhines made a return to the longer distances with a win and a PR. However, her comeback was the least impressive of the day, as that award definitely goes to Serena Burla. Burla was second just as she was last year. However, in the last year, she had been diagnosed and beaten cancer. Pretty amazing. Mother of three, Nan Kennard, who trains with Colleen De Reuck, was a surprise third.
*Video Of Women's Finish *Women's Post-Race Press Conference
The 10 Best High School XC Runners Ever
LRC Week That Was: The 10 Best High School XC Runners Of All Time, Verzbicas, Tribute To Gary Reed, The NY Times & The NE Patriots And More We've got the entire running world covered from San Diego to Japan, from the high school ranks to the pros, and even talk about the NE Patriots and the NY Times.
The Stars Of Track And Field Party In Monaco *Wejo's Photo Gallery 1 *Pro Photo Gallery 2
Ritz's Injury Is Serious
Dathan Ritzenhein Has Surgery On His Achilles And Has Neuroma Removed On Other Foot The good news is Ritz saw the same surgeon Paula Radclife saw for her foot surgery (and the unofficial West Coast LRC surgeon Amol Saxena
Rojo's Achilles surgery)).
On The Boards: Ritz under the knife
Our Sport Has Its History
The Greatest Comeback Ever?
Jordan Hasay After Leading Oregon To Victory
Train Smarter (More In The Training Forum)
- Wow, Lydiard training seems ridiculously hard
- best marathon improvement after age 40?
- How does "strength" differ from "speed" and "endurance" as a runner?
- "A runner needs a LT run every 2 to 5 days in order to not lose any aerobic ability."
Last 250m Of Melbourne 5,000m With Post-Race Interviews With The Stars (Lagat, Solinsky, Tegenkamp, Bumbalough, Mottram, St. Lawrence)
Definitely Worth A Read
Hall Of Fame Running Back And Olympic 400m Bronze Medalist (46.8) Ollie Matson Dies Our sport's history is amazing, as is Matson's story. He was on the 1951 Univ. of San Francisco team that he called the "greatest of all time" (they went undefeated and are the only college football team with 3 future NFL Hall of Famers on it). However, there was one "problem" with the team. It had two black players on it. That meant bowl inviations only if the black players didn't play. The team said no, the team lost $70,000 and the school CANCELLED football the next year. Amazing. Great Frank Litsky writeup.
Last 800m (Or Full Race) Of Galen Rupp's American Record Run In Britain
This Is Awesome: Indoor 400m Hurdles At Aviva Birmingham Meet
Training Talk Is Back
Training Talk With New Marathon Star Stephanie Rothstein And Ben Bruce Stephanie lowered her marathon PR by over 10 minutes, skipping the 2:30s entirely, running 2:29:35 in Houston. And she's still got her sights on lowering it another 10 minutes. Textual recap coming later, but you can listen above or download the podcast here (1:30).
Last 250 (Or Full Race - Rewind It) Of Dejen Gebremeskel Outkicking Mo Farah In Boston With 1 Shoe
Save Some Cash
Two Of The Best Running Movies Of All Time (Don't Believe Us? Click Here)
800m Royalty Together For The First Time Ever: Juantorena, Coe, Kipketer And Rudisha (It's Well Worth A Watch If You Have The Time, Or Read The Recap Here)
Save Some Cash
- Long run, 25% of your weekly mileage?
- 5x1 mile repeats with 1:1 work/rest ratio, 10k time?
- Marathon Training Thread - Week Ending 10/17
- Could I break 33 mins. in the 10k based on this workout
- Does anybody here train using Daniels Running Formula
Universal Sports Back To Top