Another Edition Of The Famed Kenyan Armed Forces XC Champs Are In The Book (The 3rd Toughest Race On The Planet)
- World Champ Joseph Ebuya Only 23rd At Armed Forces XC ChampionshipsIt was the 2nd straight poor performance for Ebuya who was the defending champ and now it's time to get nervous.. He was leading the first few circuits and blamed his loss on a non-acclimatization to the heat.
- IAAF Recap of Armed Forces - Teen Steals Show In Kenya Remember the name John Chepkwony as he may be the next big thing. The world jr. silver medallist from last summer's 5k got the surprise win and continued his fantastic xc season. The meet also was significant as Paul Tergat took it all in in his first public appearance since his horrific car crash.
- World Cross Champ Says New Course is Too Easy Defending WC 12km champion Joseph Ebuya says that this year's world's course is too flat and "not what world cross is all about". He'd better start worrying about his recent form, not the course.
- Kenyans Sweep at Antrim Kigen leads 1-4 Kenyan sweep, European junior XC champ Charlotte Purdue wins women's race.
Update On Nike's Golden Boys - Rupp & Lance
- Rupp Taken Out by Flu Shot Galen Rupp drops out of mile at Boise State Invitational. Salazar puts partial blame on flu shot. *LRC MB: Rupp Drops Out After Asthma Attack
- Lance Armstrong Finishes A Disappointing 81st in Last Pro-Race Outside US
Dubai Marathon (World's Richest Prize) *Race Website *Live Thread *Top Results And Prize Money *Photos Here
Barmasai And Asselefech Mergia Each Pocket $250,000
David Barmasai earned his $250,000 the hard way. Barmasai had only run marathons in Kenya before. There were 12 guys who went through halfway in 1:02:46. At 30k, according to message board reports, the leaders were only 25 seconds off of Haile G's world record split. Then however, the wheels came off. The final 5k was run in 16:47 and that gave Barmasai the win by nearly a minute over Evans Cheruiyot (2008 Chicago champ), who won $100,000 for 2nd place. Shows how hard Haile G's record is. On the women's side, Asselefech Mergia of Ethiopia was much more credentialed coming in (bronze at 2009 Worlds) and she was the only one to dip under 2:23 but missed the course record at the world's richest marathon in terms of prize money - $1,000,000 combined between men and women; not the $2 million we said yesterday.
*Top Results And Prize Money
- High School XC Star Arrested For Armed Robbery Of Gas Station The kid tried to use a knife and the clerk
pulled out his own knife to stop the robbery. The kid is the same kid who got attention earlier this year on LRC in this thread: "HS football player runs 15:11."
Message Board Thread Here.
British Stadium News
*Perserving Olympic Track Is The Betting Favorite In Stadium Fight
*Teams Make Final Stadium Pitches in London
*Original Legacy Plan Called For A Boring 25,000 Seat Track
IAAF Head Lamine Diack On London 2012 Tearing Up The Track After The Olympics: "You can consider you are dead. You are finished." We're sick of covering this story. London promised an Olympic track legacy in bidding for the Olympics and now is going back on this promise. Next time the IOC should get it in writing with financial damages if the promise is broken. A man's word is not what it once was.
*Lamine Diack: 5 Of 6 Last Champions League Finals Have Been Held In Stadiums With Tracks uk.eurosport
- LRC Verzbicas And Fernandez Considered It But Ultimately Decided To Not Race Rupp In Millrose 2 Mile
- World #1 Shot Putter Christian Cantwell, As Well As PV World Indoor Champ Fabiana Murer, Added To Millrose Field Cantwell always puts on a good show and Murer will face American record holder Jenn Suhr. *Cantwell Q&A
- Meet Some Of The Millrose HS Milers
The Action Is About To Heat Up
New Balance Boston To Feature LRC Fans' Dream Mile
*Willis, Webb (And Verzbicas) To Battle In Mile In Boston *LRC MB: Webb vs Willis vs Verzbicas at New Balance Indoor
A Great Mile Matchup In Europe: 2010 Outdoor Sensation Silas Kiplagat To Race World Indoor Champ In Lievin, France On February 8th; Kaki Also Running
Tokyo Marathon: 27:01, 59:50 Guy Gideon Ngatuny To Make His Marathon Debut In Tokyo, Taking On Gebrselassie The marathon is
March 9th February 27th. We like the clever website name: www.tokyo42195.org
Asics To Make Custom Shoes For "White Lightning" Christophe Lemaitre is now training in Miami after getting the royal treatment in Japan. Apparently his feet have some sort of flaw and the hope is the spikes can help.
Speaking Of Shoes ...
NY Times: Do Orthotics Really Work? Maybe, but people have no idea why. "As biomechanists, we really do not know how orthotics work."
The Future Of The 2012 Stadium - Does A Promise Mean Anything Anymore?
- Fans Of Soccer Team That Wants To Take Down Olympic Track After Olympics Don't Want To Move There
- British Column #1: We Can't Become Liars & Demolish Stadium The Brits promised to leave 2012 with a stadium capable of hosting a world champs in athletics and that promise helped get them the Games.
- Column #2: The Olympic Stadium Is Not Hotspur's To Knock Down
- If They Hadn't Promised To Keep It, LetsRun.com Might Agree With This Guy, But A Promise Is A Promise: British Column #3: "No one in this country can seriously believe athletics needs an arena with 60,000 seats."
- Consultant: If 2012 Olympic Stadium Isn't Demolished, It Might Become A "White Elephant"
- Recommended Click Photo Album: What's The Legacy Of Previous Olympic Tracks?
More From Arizona: IAAF Recap Points Out Goucher Actually Lost Race By Wide Margin Goucher: "I don't like to lose and I don't like to not run fast." *Matt Fitzgerald: The Benefits Of A "Bad" Race Goucher was more than 7 minutes from her PR - but given her pregnancy, we wouldn't
call it bad at all.
PF Chang RNR Arizona: Kara Goucher 1:14:02 In Return From Pregnancy, Josh Cox Wins Marathon (2:17:32), Sets American 50k Record Cox missed the soft World Record for 50k by an agonizing 7 seconds.
*Sally Meyerhoff Wins Hometown Marathon *More On Cox From Arizona Republic
*Shawn Forrest, Madai Perez Win Halfs *Top Results All Races
*Message Board Thread On RNR Arizona
Naples Half Marathon: Desiree Davila Runs 1:10:33 To Finish 2nd To Honolulu Champ Belainesh Gebre
*Men's Recap *Results
Mumbai: Girma Assefa Wins Mumbai Marathon In 2:09:54 Indian All Comers Record, Koren Jelila Yal Sets Indian All Comers Record In 1-Second Victory
UW Indoor: Koll 8:53, Flanagan DNF Flanagan apparently was only trying to pace a few laps.
*UW Results Maggie Vessey opened 2011 with a 2:09.14 800m. Andrew Bumbalough 4:00.14 mile.
PSU Runners Run Fast In 1k Caitlin Lane gets school record of 2:45.95 as Ryan Foster runs 2:19.96.
- Spain Calls For Doubling Doping Bans From 2 To 4 Years
- (She's Implicated In The Doping Scandal) Nuria Fernandez Voted Spain's Top Athlete In 2010 The vote was before the doping scandal came out and at least the Spanish officials didn't hide the results.
African Ladies In The News
- 2007 World Steeple Champ Dorcus Inzikuru Can't Get $10,000 To Go To Britain To Train If she was an American (for sure) or maybe even a male, we'd bet she'd get the money from an agent.
- New York Champ Edna Kiplagat Wants To Win World Champs & NYC To Win WMM Title
News From Europe
- Column: London's So Organized - The Only Controversy The Media Can Create Is What Happens To Stadium After 2012
- Two-Time Olympian & 1:45/3:35 Guy James Nolan Is Manager for Ireland's Paralympic World Championships T&F Team Nolan: "Before I got involved with them last year I was probably like a lot of people and didn't really appreciate the level they're training at."
Interesting (But Not Quite Recommended) Reads:
- Trevor Dunbar To Run Mile Race On 240m Track At Halftime Of Portland Basketball Game The race is all part of UP's effort to make their track and XC teams more accessible to the public. We think alll schools should open up their facilities and reach out to the public like UP.
- Sally Meyerhoff Borderline Hated Herself After NYC Disappointment But Has Refound Love For Running While Winning Trail Run Championship The interesting young lady is now training for the Ironman, which is 14 weeks before the Olympic Marathon Trials.
Galen Rupp Racing Paul Koech Over 5,000m In Düsseldorf, Germany On February 11 Rupp no doubt will be trying to regain his American record from Bernard Lagat (13:11). Koech ran 13:02 last year in Düsseldorf to become the 4th fastest ever indoors.
*Message Board Thread
Week In Review
LRC Week In Review: Naked High Mileage XC This week, we've got it all covered - from the exploits of Joseph Ebuya to the winter XC racing of Galen Rupp and Linet Masai in Edinburgh to an academic analysis of some of the nude photo shots in our sport. Plus, we tell you to run more miles, but we guarantee half of you click through to see the Playboy cover with Amy Acuff. Sad on our part and yours.
New Balance In The News
- Reebok Boston Indoor Games Becomes New Balance Indoor Grand Prix New Balance, with former Nike exec Josh Rowe as running marketing manager, appears to be getting more into the pro level of the sport to show their shoes aren't just for your parents. *More On New Balance's Rescue Of Boston Indoor Games
- New Balance Games At Armory Next Week To Feature Stacked Women's 800 And 1,500 The 800 features Maggie Vessey vs. NCAA champ Phoebe Wright, whereas the mile features Jenny Barringer vs. Canadian Olympians Carmen Douma-Hussar and Megan Wright, Ireland's Ciara Mageean (the reigning IAAF World Junior Championships silver medallist at 1,500m), Serbia's Marina Muncan (the 2009 World University Games 1,500m champion) and Americans Frances Koons, Lindsay Gallo and Brenda Martinez.
- LRC MB: New Balance is getting hard into the running game
- Matt Gabrielson Is Pumped With His XC Performance In Scotland - Will Skip US Half In Houston And Run US Cross Instead He's been battling side stitches and was pumped not to get any.
- Did You Know?
The European Junior XC Champ Charlotte Purdue Easily Beat Senior XC Champ Jessica Augusto In Scotland
- World XC Champ Joseph Ebuya Crushes Field In Spain 12:51 5ker Vincent Chepkok, Olympic 10k Bronze Medallist Micah Kogo and others were among his victims at the Amorebieta XC race in Spain.
- World 5k Silver Medallist Sylvia Kibet To Skip Indoors To Try To Make Kenyan World XC Team For First Time This year's women's team could be truly incredible (last year's champ Emily Chebet, Linet Masai, Vivian Cheruiyot).
- Kenyan Coach Says Athletes Must Compete Twice Locally To Be Considered For World Cross Team
- First African XC Champs To Be Held 2 Weeks Before Worlds This Year
Bupa Great Edinburgh Cross-Country *International Individual Races Results *Team Results *LRC Race Photos *LRC Course Photos *Race Website
LRC International Races: Kipchoge Over Kiprop, Masai Over Cheruiyot Snow blanketed Edinburgh overnight but it did not keep Eliud Kipchoge and
Linet Masai from dominating the individual races at the 2011 Edinburgh XC Races. Kipchoge won over Olympic 1,500m and World junior XC
Champ Asbel Kiprop, while Masai won over World 5k champ Vivian Cheruiyot.
*BBC Recap With Video For UK Visitors
*LRC Race Photos
LRC Saturday Course Update: Snowfall Blankets Course Definitely not a Rupp-certified course, but the American star is in Edinburgh to race. Couse photos
Shalane Flanagan Has Big Goals For 2011 The marathon is her focus but this article says she wants the 5k record back.
Three-Time Olympic Champ Peter Snell Says Coaches, Not Administrators, Are Key We agree but go a step further and say athletes, not coaches are the key. Snell is irate some canoeing coaches were canned in his native New Zealand. Snell: "The administrators thought they were the most important people; that the sport couldn't exist without them."
Not So Fast, Sammy
Sammy Wanjiru's Wife Says She Hasn't Reconciled And That She Wants A Divorce She also claims her mother in law is a royal pain in the ***.
Sad News: Former JMU Runner & Sub-4 Miler Jason Long Dies In Plane Crash At Age 32 The JMU school record holder in the 800 and 4-time All-American was a very accomplished pilot who died doing what he loved as his plane hit a medical helicopter.
More: *Fellow Runner Remembers Long As "Good, Loyal"
*Wing Was Sawed Off After Collision With Medical Helicopter
*Crash Victim Loved To Fly
*Friends Remember Men Killed (payment required)
*LRC MBoard Talk About Long's Passing
A Legend Passes
Olympic Legend Bud Greenspan Dies If anyone did more to spread the greatness of the Olympics, we'd like to know who it was. Greenspan's documentaries brought the Olympics to life for millions. Not familiar with Bud? Check out his work here.
*NPR Obituary On Bud Greenspan *AP Obituary Of Greenspan
On The Boards: Bud Greenspan RIP
David Rudisha Gets Married 2010 will be a year Rudisha never forgets. 2 world records and now he has married his long-time girlfriend Elizabeth.
Congrats to David and Elizabeth. 2010 also saw Galen Rupp and Alan Webb get married.
More News From Kenya: Sammy Wanjiru Focused On World Record, Ndereba Wants Another World Title
- I have very low back kick and knee lift, how can i change this
- Workouts to suggest sub 15 minutes for 5km
- Interesting article about coaching form featuring Mahon
- Marathon Training Thread -- Week Ending 1/16
London & Boston 2011
Incredible 2011 Virgin London Marathon Field Announced: Wanjiru Vs. Kebede Vs. Makau On Men's Side Director Dave Bedford is calling the women's field "undoubtedly our strongest ever," but we once again are amazed with his men's field. London's got the top 3 men's marathoners in the world Sammy Wanjiru, Tsegaye
Kebede and Patrick Makau going head to head to head. This year's Chicago marathon with Wanjiru vs. Kebede duelling to the finish was incredible and left Sammy Wanjiru exhausted (photo above). Now throw Makau (Amsterdam and Berlin champ) into the mix. *Message Board Thread On London
*European XC Champ Jessica Augusto And Hayley Yelling To Make Marathon Debuts In London
American Hopefuls Kara Goucher And Desiree Davila To Run Boston 2011 Davila has come a long way in her career, as she got equal billing with Goucher in the press release. Last week it was announced Ryan Hall is running Boston.
On The Boards: Desi will kick Kara's butt this April
New Balance Armory *Full Results
- Jenny Simpson's First Race Since Injury Results In World Leader in Mile (4:28.60) Phoebe Wright dominated the women's 800 and four went sub-4 in the mile including winner Craig Miller who for some idiotic reason is going to go to Australia to train instead of race in the famed Wannameker mile. *LRC MB: Simpson 4:28.60
- Simpson Keeping Options Open For Outdoors - May Focus on 1,500, Steeple or Even 5k We're pleased to see she realizes her strength is her #1 strength as a focus on speed was only going to ruin her career.
- HSer Najee Glass Breaks National Record in Boys 500 (62.22) *Najee Glass Smashes 27 Year Old HS-500m Record
- Teary-eyed Hastings wins 400 in 52.35
Japanese Comedian Completes Round the World Run Kampei Hazama ran around the world in 744 days passing through 18 countries and running more than 41,000km, getting diagnosed with cancer along the way.
News From Britain Or Relating To Britain
- World Top 10 Hurdler Would Rather Play Soccer Andy Turner is one of only eight British track athletes to be ranked top 10 in the world, but says he can't wait to retire and play for his local "pub" team.
- Britain Distance Runners Having Trouble Qualifying for London "A" Standard for the marathon is 2:12, but best UK runner only with a 2:13.
- Blade Runner Oscar P Still Shooting for London 2012
Millrose Is Next Friday
- Millrose HS Miles Are Finalized
- "Batman" Bershawn Jackson & Three Time Champion Carmen Douma Hussar Added To Millrose Field Douma-Hussar will be challenged in the women's 1,500 by three time Millrose runner-up Sara Hall.
It's Been A Tough 30 Days
Sammy Wanjiru In Serious Car Crash But Apparently Is Okay The world's best marathoner flipped his car in the wreck but apparently is OK. He even told the paramedics not to take him to a certain hospital because he didn't want more press attention. He was arrested late last month for having an illegal firearm and threatening to kill his wife.
*Message Board Thread On Wanjiru
Pre-Race New Balance Notes
- High Schooler Claudia Francis To Compete With With Pros In Women's 800 At New Balance She'll take on NCAA champs Phoebe Wright & LaTavia Thomas and Olympian Maggie Vessey. The best part is she is so chill about it she thought the race was next weekend.
- Rehab Behind Her, Jenny
BarringerSimpson Ready To Race
BarringerSimpson Running Mile, Maggie Vessey / Phoebe Wright Racing At New Balance Games In NYC This Weekend A completely different meet from the New Balance Indoor Grand Prix, where Webb and Willis are squaring off next month in Boston. Jenny ran 2:07 last week.
More Men's Track & XC Programs Bite The Dust
Sports Illustrated Columnist Joins LRC Faithful In Ripping Delaware For Cutting Its Men's Track & Field/XC Teams Jeff Pearlman is a little biased as he used to run for them, but that doesn't mean he's not right on the money. UD Track is 100 years old this year.
*LRC MBoarders Express Their Outrage
*A Blogger Is Irate
*Delaware's Cowardly Release
Bemidji State's Men's Indoor & Outdoor Programs Get The Ax Not quite as old as Delaware, which is celebrating its 100th anniversary, Bemidji track has been around since 1928.
Bureaucrats Always Suck
Scoring Mistakes Cost Two (And Gain Two) HS Teams In MA State Relay Titles The kids now know how George W. Bush and Al Gore felt back in 2000. What is the definition of victory? It's what some bureaucrat decides.
- With Son Recovered, Kara Goucher Focused On NYC Half Marathon
- NCAA Indoor 200m Champ Curtis Mitchell Gives Up His Final Season At Texas A&M And Turns Pro He ran 19.99 last year with a 2.0 mps wind. Pat Henry isn't happy he turned pro early.
- Khadevis Robinson To Coach At UNLV This Year Last year, instead of contending for the top spot of the US rankings, Khadevis was paying the bills by rabbiting in Europe. We hope he takes on Symmonds and Wheating this year.
- Mo Farah To Race 12:53 Guy Dejen Gebrsemeskel In New Balance Boston Boston Jenny
BarringerSimpson and Nick Willis vs. Alan Webb also at this meet.
- Alberto Salazar, Kara Goucher Brief Chat
- Kenenisa Bekele Out Of World Cross The news isn't surprising, as Bekele hasn't competed in over a year.
- Joseph Ebuya, Vivian Cheruiyot And Linet Masai Give The World XC Course In Punta Umbría, Spain A Thumbs Up IAAF There is no World XC next year, so everyone had better enjoy this one.
- After 1:07:07 Half Marathon Debut Last Year, Turkey's Elvan Abeylegesse To Race Kagawa Marugame Half Marathon Next Month In Japan IAAF
- Defending Champ Mike Kigen Takes On Former Junior Stars Titus Mbishei And Dennis Masai In Antrim, Northern Ireland XC Meet This Weekend
- Hilda Kibet Marrying A Fellow Dutch Distance Runner
- Haile G To Run BUPA Great Manchester Run May 15th
Week In Review
LRC: Week That Was Last week, we had to use sex to sell our Week That Was and this week, except for talking about LaShawn Merritt's penis, everything is clean. We actually are full of praise for some American stars helping the sport, some of the shoe companies, and more. Plus, we cover some XC, India's #1 marathoner, and some Oregon football.
Need To Get Motivated In 2011? Run Whichever NYRR Race You Want And Help Kids At The Same Time (Sponsored Post)
Spread The Joy Of Running And Get Guaranteed Entry To The 2011 ING NYC Marathon And Other Events The NYRR's Team for Kids program is a great program. It brings the benefits of the world's simplest and greatest sport, running, to underprivileged kids throughout the world. In return for some fund raising, its participants, that would be you, get guaranteed entry into various sold-out NYRR events, including the ING NYC Marathon. Click for more info.
TIA/Unbelievable: Two Of Kenya's Brightest Junior Prospects For World XC May Not Be Able To Race, As They Allegedly Were Beaten By Their Teacher For Not Passing Tests Apparently, in Kenya there is some sort of automatic passing going on that made the teacher irate and he supposedly beat one of the students unconscious.
Updates For Past & Current NCAA Greats
- German Fernandez Update: Plan Is To Train High, Race Low In 2011 The plan for the wonder kid is to focus on the shorter events (mile/1,500) in races but train like a 5k runner.
- Alistair Cragg Pissed He Let Shawn Forrest Go In Arizona Half Last Weekend But Pumped To Be Healthy And Confident He Can Get Irish Record At NYC Half He ran 63:22.
- It's Official: Kara Goucher To Run NYC Half On March 20th
- Nick Willis To Get Silver Medal In Ceremony On February 26th
Recommended Click: The Fastest People To Never Be World Ranked By T&FN
Imagine running 9.88 for 100m or 12:51 for 5,000 or 2:05:25 for 26.2 and not being ranked top 10 in the world.
From The Website Formerly Known As Dyestat (But Now
Not Known ESPN Rise)
- Verzbicas Update: He's Not Running Millrose 2 Mile He says he was planning it but some things came up. LRC also can confirm that German Fernandez isn't running either.
- 2011 Boys Distance Preview: Can Rosas Come Back And Push Verzbicas? The answer is almost certainly not.
Sports Illustrated With More Drug Allegations Vs. Lance Full article now available The hearsay evidence versus America's greatest cyclists continues to increase. SI has allegations of Lance getting access to drugs in clinical studies, using a private jet to get drugs past customs and more. The article is a bit disjointed, but maybe that
is because lawyers removed parts of it. *Snyopsis Of Article *Science Of Sport Blog Post Cycling forums say much has been removed from the article due to threats of litigation but what remains must be pretty solid.
*Message Board Thread On SI Story
Floyd Landis Gives Up Comeback In Cycling
Comebacks Of A Different Sort
- Caster Semenya Still Has Back Injury
- Olympic 100m Champ Shelly-Ann Fraser's First Race Since Drug Suspension Will Be January 29th
- After Three Injuries, Catherine Ndereba Declares Herself 100% And Says She's Fit For Comeback
More Action From Over The Weekend Or More Info On Stuff We Already Covered
- Bay Area XC Challenge: *Molly Huddle Wins, Ben Bruce Wins 3-Way Sprint (link fixed) *Results $9,000 in prize money
at this USA XC tuneup.
*Message Board Thread *More Photos
- More From Arizona: IAAF Recap Points Out Goucher Actually Lost Race By Wide Margin Goucher: "I don't like to lose and I don't like to not run fast." *Matt Fitzgerald: The Benefits Of A "Bad" Race Goucher was more than 7 minutes from her PR - but given her pregnancy, we wouldn't call it bad at all.
- Desiree Davila Runs 70:33 PR In Naples Congrats to Zac Hine for his 63:54.
- Bermuda: Luke Watson Loses Photo Finish In Mile But Comes Back And Wins Marathon After Leaders Take Wrong Turn *Marathon Recap Here *Mile Recap With Great Photo Here Shadarck Biwot won the half marathon and marathon. *Video Of Mile Finish
- 12:51er Thomas Longosiwa Wins Comfortably In Italy 20-year-old Fente Alemu Birtukan, the world junior steeple silver winner last year, won the women's race.
- Juinor European Champ Charlotte Purdue Wins By 58 Seconds In First Senior Race In Britain
- Lisa Koll's 3k Of 8:53.14 Broke Jenny Barringer's Facility Record Race video should be here.
- Inter Prefectural Ekiden Recap: Kayoko Fukushi Leads Kyoto To Victory Kyoto was only 16th after stage three but they won for the 6th time in 7 years, as Kayoko Fukushi, the Japanese national record holder at 3k, 5k and 13.1, dominated the anchor leg as expected. *Video Highlights From Japan Running News
- NCAA Dual Meets: Ohio State Men 88 - Michigan 74 *Ohio State Women 83 - Michigan 78 *Texas Vs. Arkansas *Illininois St. Vs. Indiana St. *Missouri Vs. Kansas *Rider At Monmouth *Indiana At Purdue *More NCAA results here.
News From Kenya
- Abel Kirui Wants The World Record In Berlin - Will Not Defend World Title In Daegu
No one had better give him crap for not going, as he is also gearing for 2012.
- Only In Kenya ...
Unknown Wins Local Road Race The "little-known" runner (Julius Kogo) is a guy who was 4th at the 2010 Boston marathon.
- After Three Injuries, Catherine Ndereba Declares Herself 100% And Says She's Fit For Comeback We say Father Time is probably catching up to her, as the two-time Olympic silver winner will be 40 in 2012.
Seville: Down Goes Ebuya, Cheruiyot Turns Tables On Masai Leonard Komon, the world 10k and 15k road record holder, lost to World Champ Joseph Ebuya last week but won here as Ebuya was only 5th. In the women's race, world 5k champ Vivian Cheruiyot lost to world 10k champ Linet Masai last week on the snow of Edinburgh but Cheruiyot triumphed here. This race had a $420,000
budget and got the stars.
Kenyan Police Champs: 2:04:55 Marathoner Geoffrey Mutai Wins Kenyan Police XC Champs, Says He Will Only Run World XC If He Can Train In His Own Training Camp Paul Koech, the guy who is racing Galen Rupp next month over 5k, wasn't in the top 10. The Kenyan officials should let Mutai train wherever he wants. He's on fire in the marathon and XC.
Pro Distance Profiles/News
- Nick Willis Wants Sub-3:35 1,500m In New Zealand Next Month, Will Try To Go Sub-3:30 In Paris This Summer He also reveals he still has not received his Olympic silver medal from 2008. He'll be running the New Balance Boston Games February 5th.
- Leo Manzano Rejuvenated And Focused On 2012 He had a tremendous 2010, pushing Kiprop to the line twice. Austin American-Statesman
- NCAA Champ Angela Bizzarri Running 50 Miles A Week, Trying To Choose Between Gags Group And Mammoth Track Club
- Kenyan XC Coach Worried His Men's Team Won't Be Strong Enough After Ebuya, he's worried.
Lukas Verzbicas To Skip Illinois Track Season So He Can Run New Balance Indoor Games And Millrose + He Narrows His College Choice To 4 The lucky four are Oklahoma St., Colorado, Oregon and UP. Verzbicas seems to think he can wait until May or early summer to decide - we say that's ridiculous.
- Now The Lawyers Will Get Involved
IOC Backs Doping Rule That Will Ban LaShawn Merritt From 2012 Games It will be interesting to see if this is ruled as 2nd punishment for a single crime. A German lawyer says it's just a condition of participation - not a sanction. If not going to the Olympics isn't a sanction, we don't know what is.
- False Start: Trial Of Cheating Greek Sprinters Kostas Kenteris And Katerina Thanou Starts & Then Is Quickly Postponed Until January 21
Pre-Trial: 6 Years Later: Greek Sprinters To Stand Trial For False Statements At 2004 Olympics
Want To Know Why Oregon Lost The BCS Game? - Speed Rules
Oregon's LaMichael James, Who Was Third In Heisman Voting, Will Still Run Track This Spring 3rd in the Heisman but only 5th in the PAC-10 100. James' windy PR of 10.52 wouldn't even make the final of the SEC meet and his wind-legal PR of 10.72 would place him 18th.
- Thinking About Driving In "Olympic VIP Lane" In 2012? It'll Cost You $314
- Former Sprint Great Frankie Fredericks Joins Chorus That Wants London 2012 To Honor Its Bid To Promise And Retain The Running Track At The Olympic Stadium After The Games
News From Kenya Or Involving Kenya
- 1st Four Across The Line In Kenya Will Go To Worlds The other two spots will be picked by the federation. We still think it's a disgrace that World Cross isn't at least five scorers and seven runners.
- David Rudisha To Begin His Season Outdoors In Australia On March 3 & 19th Six times last year, he went 1:43.00 or faster.
- A Kenyan Shines In Last Edition Of Asahi Ekiden In Japan
- Athletics Kenya Receives $369,000 Gift From National Bank Of Kenya
Alberto On Galen
LRC: Update On Galen Rupp's Training: Two Distinct Seasons For Rupp In 2011, More Mileage Alberto Salazar has done a tremendous job crafting Galen Rupp's career despite the critics (we specifically remember pro athletes who saw Galen train as a high schooler saying he'd burn out). Alberto says 2011 will be a bit different for Galen than 2009 and 2010, with 2 distinct peaks (and time off in between) and that there is still a lot of room for improvement in terms of training mileage. Plus, we take a look back at Galen's incredibly long and consistent 2009 and 2010 seasons.
Ritz Running London
LRC Dathan Ritzenhein To Run 2011 Virgin London Marathon Alberto Salazar told LRC that his marathon pupil Dathan Ritzenhein will take on the world's best this April in London. Alberto also talked about Ritz's NY run, Ritz's mileage, and more (a lot more on Galen coming tomorrow, but you can watch the interview).
*More Americans In London Americans Jason Lehmkuhle (9th at Boston this year), Mo Trafeh (1:00:39 half marathon, debut), Patrick Smyth (debut, runner-up at US Cross last year), Stephan Shay (brother of Ryan), and former Kiwi Michael Aish running as well, plus 27:29 Aussie Collis Birmingham.
*Ryan Hall Running Houston Half This Month So is Abdi.
Bupa Great Edinburgh Cross-Country Team Race *Team Race Results *LRC Race Photos *LRC Interviews *Video Highlights (Available Worldwide - They Show Snow And Huge Hill)
LRC Team Race: Mo Farah Over Galen Rupp
prevailed over Galen Rupp
on an officially non-Rupp-certified snow course. We recap the action, have photos, and talked to Galen, Mo, Alberto, and some of the American studs, including Scott Bauhs, who puts an end to "Rupp certification" once and for all.
*Video Of Farah's 2:00 Win Worth a look to see hill and snow.
*LRC Interviews With Alberto, Galen, Scott Bauhs, Stephen Furst, Bobby Mack And Matt Gabrielson
*LRC Race Photos
*BBC: Video Highlights Of Farah's Dominant Win A post-race interview of Farah is included as well.
3 Recommended Reads
- RR#1: Meet Former World Beater Adrian Royle The scrawny Brit shocked the world when he won the 1981 US XC title over more famous stars like Alberto Salazar, Steve Scott and Henry Rono. The 27:47 performer then suffered a mysterious illness that wiped him out for 18 months. *Wikipedia Page Here
- RR#2: Chris Solinsky Sees Himself As A Serious Medal Threat This profile on Solinsky by Parker Morse is a must-read and full of great quotes.
- RR#3: Unbelievable: Runner Who Was Whistle Blower On Leonid Shvetsov Being Eddy Hellebuyck's EPO Provider Was Repeatedly Threatened By A Man With Russian Accent Before NYC Marathon Canadian Bruce Raymer ended up not going for the Canadian masters national record and running another race instead. In our (and many people's) minds, he's a hero. Our apologies for not getting this up before Christmas.
It's Not This Easy In America
Olympic Marathon Champ And Accused Attempted Murderer Sammy Wanjiru And His Wife Supposedly Reconcile Press reports are indicating that the families of Wanjiru and his wife got involved and urged a reconciliation which may result in charges being dropped, although his wife was a bit coy in her responses to the press (as we're
sure $$$ is still being negotiated). *Updated
LRC MBoard Talk: "He is now officially qualified to be a professional American athlete. Can some of the women on this board tell me why abused women stay with their abuser. Often, until they are beaten to death?"
*Sammy Wanjiru Arrested For Attempting To Kill His Wife And A Domestic Worker
- A Must Click Track With A Hill On It Is Built
- A Recommended Read Discoverer Of EPO Dies Eugene Goldwasser never patented EPO and never got fame or fortune. Rather, Amgen is the one who reaped billions off of it.
- Interesting Read The New York Times Looks At Why We Feel Warm For Hours After A Workout Good news also comes from the article, which reveals intense athletes burn more calories hours after exercise is done, whereas average athletes do not.
All That Is Great About LetsRun.com
LRC NCAA And Foot Locker Contest Recaps: The Greatness Of You Recapping our contests always reminds us what is greatest about LetsRun.com - that is you, our incredibly loyal, smart and interesting readers. This time our contest winners impress as usual. Not only do we have acts of sportsmanship, but we have a runner with MS who can no longer run anymore but it still super-dedicated to the sport, a college coach who nearly pulled off the NCAA D1, D2 prediction double (and btw went to high school with the rocket scientist who has won two of our previous contests), a guy who watched malmo win an NCAA XC race, and a guy who issued a challenge to Aaron Braun before he won last week's club XC champs.
The 10 Best High School XC Runners Ever
LRC Week That Was: The 10 Best High School XC Runners Of All Time, Verzbicas, Tribute To Gary Reed, The NY Times & The NE Patriots And More We've got the entire running world covered from San Diego to Japan, from the high school ranks to the pros, and even talk about the NE Patriots and the NY Times.
The Stars Of Track And Field Party In Monaco *Wejo's Photo Gallery 1 *Pro Photo Gallery 2
Think You've Done It All?
- Trial Of Kenteris And Thanou Begins 6 Years Later
- Wall Street Journal: NFL Is Notifying Players A Day Before They Are Drug Tested We're not surprised. If the cycling world has taught us anything, it is that athletes can dope pretty systematically and not get caught for years even with no advance notice. Imagine what they could do with a 24-hour notice.
- Don Catlin Says He Can't Respond To Allegations In Sports Illustrated Article
- Kiwi Author Rips LaShawn Merritt Over His Drug Positive
- As Career Comes To An End, Armstrong Not Losing Sleep Over Doping Investigation
- What is considered "junk mileage"
- intervals question?
- Lost motivation to run
- What is your favorite marathon?
- Galen Rupp only averaged 80 miles a week
- How far can you run in 1:11:11 on 1-11-11?
Alberto On Rupp And Ritz's Training
Galen On Edinburgh XC And 2011 (if you'd like to see a video of the conditions he ran in Edinburgh, click here)
Scott Bauhs Ends The Rupp Certification Debate ... Or Does He Not?
Logan Vs. USATF
LRC Exclusive USATF Strikes Back With Charges Of Tax Evasion, Expense Report Abuse And The Real Reason Doug Logan Was Fired We're far from lawyers and most of you aren't either, but this is worth a read, as USATF has filed its response to former CEO's Doug Logan's lawsuit. USATF hurls some serious charges at Logan and some dirt (improper gifts to a
female athlete), but none of them are the real reason Logan was fired. We've got it covered, plus news who on the USATF board Logan referred to as Fantasia and Opie.
*Message Board Thread
- How to deal with depression caused from injury?
- plantar faciitis will not go away! Any tricks you used to get rid of it?
- Sets and Reps for Lifting Program for High Schoolers
- Most Mileage You've Ever Done in a Week
- More In Our Training Forum
Recommended On The Boards: The Legend Of Steve Jones Grows
Two Of The Best Running Movies Of All Time (Don't Believe Us? Click Here)
800m Royalty Together For The First Time Ever: Juantorena, Coe, Kipketer And Rudisha (It's Well Worth A Watch If You Have The Time, Or Read The Recap Here)
Save Some Cash
- Long run, 25% of your weekly mileage?
- 5x1 mile repeats with 1:1 work/rest ratio, 10k time?
- Marathon Training Thread - Week Ending 10/17
- Could I break 33 mins. in the 10k based on this workout
- Does anybody here train using Daniels Running Formula
Universal Sports Back To Top