US/NCAA Track Action - Results: *Oregon Relays *Princeton Larry Ellis *Arkansas McDonnell Invy
- OTC's Sally Kipyego Gets Women's World Lead In 1,500 With 4:06.23; A.J. Acosta & Matt Centrowitz Miss Attempt At World Champs "A" Standard The standard is 3:35.0, but even with three rabbits they were still a ways off, as Centrowitz won in 3:42.49 on a windy day.
- Recap Of Oregon's Performances At Oregon Relays: OTC's Tyler Mulder Won 800 In 1:46.79, NFL Football Player Jordan Kent Won 400m Also Geena Gall of OTC and Oregon's Anne Kesselring finished 1-2 in the women's 800 with 2:02.04 and 2:02.44.
- Arkansas 1,500 Oklahoma State's Thomas Farrell won in 3:42.23, Chris O'Hare 2nd, Dorian Ulrey 3rd, German Fernandez in 7th with 3:44.68. MB: Ulrey vs. Fernandez Tonight 9:00 CT
- Bershawn "Batman" Jackson Wins 400 Hurdles At Kansas Relays For 6th Time In 48.98
*Olympic 200m Champ Veronica Campbell-Brown Wins Kansas Relays In 22.95
- Larry Ellis Invitational - High Schoolers Eddie Owens & Edward Cheserek Crack All-Time Lists Eddie Owens was the 4th high school runner ever to crack 9:00 in the steeplechase with 8:59.53; Edward Cheserek moved to #10 all time in the 5k with a 14:02.33, knocking Alberto Salazar from the all time HS top 10. MB: Edward Cheserek Princeton 5k 14:02 & HS'er Eddie Owens 8:59 3k STEEPLE
- Florida State Men, Clemson Women Capture Team Titles At ACCOTF Championships
Other US Stuff:
*Interview With Marcus O'Sullivan Where He Explains His "Love-Hate Relationship" With Penn Relays
*University Of Delaware Men's Track Team Claims It Only Wants What Is Fair
*The Dual Meet: How To Reinvigorate Track And Field's Relevance Writer says, "A return to the youthful days of middle school and high school dual meets where the goal was winning for the sake of it instead of for a cash prize or a huge title would strengthen the interest of the sport and bring the athletes a change in the schedule that has been crowded with invitationals that lose the competitive fire of the dual meet style."
Latest Boston And London News
- Science Of Sport Guys Cite Some Major Problems With The ARRS's Analysis, Which Said Boston Was "Not Excessively Aided" See the ARRS article below.
- NY Times: The Two-Hour Marathon, A Question Of When, Not If NYRR President Mary Wittenberg: "Monday certainly introduced the concept that, in the end, perhaps pure competition would be a greater driver than more of a mechanical race. That pure instinct to race helps people truly do things that they never thought they could do. In so many sports, it's mind over body."
- Gerry Lindgren FB Post On The Boston Course Controversy
- Keith Hanson Talks About Desiree Davila's Amazing Boston
- Association Of Road Racing Statisticians Takes A Look At Boston The conclusion was the race was 1:37-1:42 faster than a normal flat course, which they don't consider "Excessively Aided."
- Cool: Desiree Davila To Throw Out First Pitch At Tuesday's Detroit Tigers Game
- Blake Russell Says Coach Bob Sevene Told Her Boston Downhills May Not Be Good For Her
- London Champ Emmanuel Mutai Envisions 2-Hour Marathon We are a long way (or a super-rigged course) from a 2-hour marathon, as no one has ever split sub-1 hr in a marathon.
- Geoffrey Mutai Wants Olympic Title, Refers To Gebrselassie's 2:03:59 As World Record
- London Champ Mary Keitany Gets Hero's Welocme In Kenya
- Kenyan-Americans Celebrate Boston Triumphs
- Daredevil Legend Eddie Kidd To Take 4 Weeks To Finish London Marathon
2011 London & Boston Were So Good They Continue To Dominate The News Cycle
LRC John Kellogg Explains How He "Predicted" The Unpredictable - A Sub-2:03:59 In Boston LetsRun.com's coaching guru explains the rationale behind his non-prediction that is making waves around the globe. Years of timed out-and-back and straight-shot tempos with the wind in Waco, Texas (and other windy Texas venues) proved invaluable to his understanding the effects of the wind. JK took a stab at converting the Boston performances by Mutai and Hall to London and Berlin and even reveals what would happen if the Boston Mutai raced the London Mutai.
LRC Week In Review: 13 Thoughts About The 2011 Virgin London And Boston Marathons We try to give out some thoughts about a glorious two days of marathoning. From it not being a good two days for North
debutants or US Olympic women, to Ryan Hall never runs a bad marathon, to stats showing how the wind helped the mid-packers, to you couldn't find two more deserving winners than the Mutais. All of that plus we give out our top contenders for the 2012 Olympic medals and praise Caroline Kilel while talking about kissing Dave Bedford's ***.
LRC Rojo Speaks: Boston - Please Stop This World Record Nonsense "(Boston), you are the most historic of all the major marathons and don't need publicity stunts ... You don't need a record to validate what happened. In fact, you shouldn't want it. Your race course has character and tradition behind it - all most of the others can do is get in a contest amongst themselves for time."
- Jubilant Crowd Meets Geoffrey Mutai On His Return To Kenya - He Says He Wants Olympic Title As for the wind, Mutai wonders why if it was so big, then why didn't the women run faster? He also says he won't run the WChamps.
- G. Mutai Says Weather In Boston Was "Bad," Course Was Tougher Than Any Other Course, But He's Not Upset He Doesn't Have WR - Now He'll Will Just Be More Motivated Mutai: "Kenyans do not trust themselves and depend on others tactically during races. They can do better if they have self belief."
- Haile G. "Respects" Boston Times - Is Motivated To Run Even Faster
- Emmanuel Mutai Returned To Kenya The Day Before - Says He Envisions 2:00 Meanwhile, London 3rd placer and NYC champ Edna Kiplagat says she wants to run Worlds. She could do Worlds and NY and get more WMM points.
- Coach Knows Best: Olympian Blake Russell Says She Just Wasn't Suited Well For Boston's Downhills She dropped out before halfway on a course her coach told her not to run.
- Blister & Upset Stomach Are Explanation For US Olympian Lewy Boulet's Poor London Showing She stopped at mile 23 but got going again and explained, "A disappointing race is better than a DNF - emotionally, it takes less time to get over."
- To The Runner-Up Go The Spoils: Desiree Davila To Throw Out Pitch At Detroit Tigers Games Next Tuesday
- Kip Keino Speaks About Boston - "It's up to the IAAF to decide."
- Kenya's World Championships Marathon Team To Be Unveiled After Easter
- Japanese Marathon Squad Selected For Daegu
Alvin Harrison, Former Olympic 400m Silver Medallist (And Drug Cheat), Getting Second Chance Coaching High School Team, Drunk Drives A High School Van At Arcadia, Flips Another Car, Jailed On $50,000 Bond Less than 10 years, ago he was on Oprah. Now he could be in prison for a while (we also were surprised to read he competed for the Dominican Republic last year and ran 47 seconds).
Let Us Continue To Celebrate Grete's Great Life
- George Vescey Of NY Times Remembers Grete Waitz
- NY Road Runners Head Mary Wittenberg Talks About Legacy Of Grete Waitz
- A Look At The Grete Waitz, Fred Lebow Friendship
The Sport Loses A Legend *Grete Waitz's NYC Marathon Results
Grete Waitz Loses Battle With Cancer Waitz is best known for being a 9-time New York City Marathon champion, a class act, and a pioneer in the sport, but she also was a 4:00 1,500m runner and an 8:31 3,000m
runner. As a kid, watching her on ABC win
NYC every year was one of the site founders' earliest running memories. She will be missed. Thanks to Leo Kulinski for the photo. Another one here.
*Pay Your Respects In This Thread
*Oregonian Likens Grete Waitz To Jackie Robinson, Babe Didrikson & Jim Thorpe
*Grete Waitz: In The Long Run, A Legacy Of Triumph For Women And Sport
*IAAF: Grete Waitz, Distance Running Legend, Passes Away
*The Independent: Norwegian Marathon Legend Grete Waitz Dies Of Cancer At Age 57
*Runner's World: Remembering Grete Waitz
*Runner's World: 2005: When We First Learned Of Grete Waitz's Battle With Cancer
Other International News
- Tokyo Marathon Star Yuki Kawauchi To Run First Naoko Takahashi Half Marathon In May
- Asafa Powell Wants To Take On Usain Bolt And Tyson Gay Before Worlds
- USAToday: More On The Utrecht Marathon, Which Is Taking A Lot Of Heat For Giving More Prize Money To Dutch Runners
- Profile Of Teen UK Sprinting Star Jodie Williams
- Kenyan Olympic Steeplechase Bronze Medallist Paul Kipsiele Koech Returning For 5th Time To Ostrava Golden Spike Meet
- IAAF: David Oliver Has Sights Set On WR In 110 Hurdles At Aviva London Grand Prix
Virgin London Marathon *Watch Full Race On Demand *Photos
LRC Emmanuel Mutai Runs The Best 10km Ever In A Marathon To Destroy The Field & Arrive As One Of The World's Best
A lead pack that was a who's who of marathoning went through 30km together, but soon the race would be nothing but a coronation for Emmanuel Mutai, who destroyed the field with a 28:44 4th 10k and ended up with a 2:04:40 course record. Almost as big of a story as Mutai's
incredible run was the fact that the 2nd placer ended up being one of the all-time greats - Martin Lel - who shocked even himself in his first marathon since Beijing 2008. American Jason Lehmkuhle was the only elite American finisher as the three rookie American marathoners went out too fast and blew up - none worse than Mo Trafeh, who ran with the lead pack for 15 km.
LRC Women's Marathoning Has A New Star Named Mary Keitany Keitany knocked nearly 10 minutes off her personal best and knocked Liliya Shobukhova off her pedestal as the best in the world, as Keitany ran the first sub-2:20 since 2008 and made mincemeat of "undoubtedly" of the strongest women's field in London history. All together, a record 22 women broke 2:30 - but that didn't include US Olympian Magdalena Lewy-Boulet.
- Great Britain's Jo Pavey Given World Champs Marathon Spot Thanks To London Debut
*UK Names Marathon Team For Daegu
- Greg McMillan-Coached Andrew Lemoncello Gets Stitch & Fails To Qualify For London 2012
- Liliya Shobukhova Runs Russian Record Despite Finishing 2nd
- Independent: Is Keitany Radcliffe's Ultimate Rival?
- Jo Pavey And Louise Damen Delighted With Olympic Qualifying Times
- Telegraph: Kenyans Dominate London
- Guardian: Behind The Elites At London, Thousands Of Stories From The Masses
- Other Recaps: Guardian Recap Of London *Athletics Weekly Men's Recap *Athletics Weekly Women's Recap *BBC Recap Of London *IAAF Recap Of London
Haile G's Back & A Winner In Vienna Only Haile G could be upset with a solo 60:18 at age of 37 years and 364 days. Happy B-Day Haile!!!
Other Action From The Weekend
- Yohan Blake (20.33) Beats Asafa Powell (20.55) At 200
- IAAF Recap Of Mt. SAC: In Addition To Russell Brown, Carmelita Jeter (10.99) Impresses
- Australian Champs Day 3 Recap: Sally Pearson Completes Triple
- South African Steepler Reuben Ramolefi Runs 8:22, Says He Can Break 8:11 NR
- Jo Pavey And Louise Damen Delighted With Qualifying Time
- Moses Arusei Runs Sets New Course Record In Madrid (2:10:51) Girma Tadesse defended her women's title.
- 2:09 And 2:29 Win In Padua
- UCLA Men Tie Oregon In Dual Meet *UCLA Was Gunning For Victory
- Florida's Jeff Demps Runs Windy 9.96
- Oregon Frosh English Gardner Sets New 100m Oregon Record
LRC The Week That Was This week, we investigate German Fernandez's Shoe-Gate, quote a 9th or 10th grader who says that more fans watch his 9th-10th grade meet than Leo Manzano, tell you why to be truly elite in the marathon you now need to be a sub-2:06 guy, and re-introduce you to Leilani Rios, the runner who was a national sensation 10
ago when she was kicked off the Cal State-Fullerton track team for making a lot of money
each night she worked.
*Athletics Weekly Weekend Recap: 9 World Leads Set, Including Men's Steeple, Marathon, Decathlon, And Men's/Women's 4 X 1 And 4 X 4
- LA Times: Barry Bonds' Trial So Humiliating It Might Dissuade Athletes From Using Steroids "It's hard to imagine how any pro athlete, or any high school kid aspiring to be one, could look at Bonds' public disgrace and decide that taking steroids would be a good idea. Cheating doesn't just shrink sexual organs; it ravages reputations." *Barry Bonds Guilty Of Obstruction Of Justice
- Banned Coach Trevor Graham Says US Anti-Doping Agency Covering Up For US Coaches Graham coached drug cheats Justin Gatlin and Marion Jones and was given a lifetime ban by the USADA.
- Germany's Anti-Doping Agency Warns Eating Meat In China Could Lead To Accidental Doping & Failed Drug Tests
April Fools News
Recommended Read Ato Boldon's 10 Pieces Of Wise Advise That Current Pro Track Athletes Don't Understand (But Retired Ones Do) Among the highlights, he advises staying away from European wine and women and to beware of falling in love with insincere shoe companies.
The Only Required Reading In The Industry
LRC: Week That Was: Flanagan Gets Bronze, Rupp Makes An Impressive Debut, An American Runs 2:27 At LA, And The US XC Dream Team Sure, we bet you know about Shalane Flanagan's bronze at World XC and Galen Rupp's half marathon in NYC. But we help put these in perspective and tell you about the American who ran 2:27 in LA (Amy Hastings) and wonder how well the US dream team of Lagat, Rupp, Solinsky, Tegenkamp and Ritz would do at World XC. And of course the most important news of the week, the fight at World XC.
Zersenay Tadese Misses His Own WR But Runs 2nd-Fastest Half Marathon Ever (58:30) In Portugal Despite having little help from rabbits and having to run into the wind the last 3 miles, Tadese was great as usual at the 13.1 distance.
2011 NCAA Champs *Full Results *2011 Event-By-Event Results With Splits *LRC Women's Preview *LRC Men's Preview *LRC Day 1 Photos *Video Highlights (48 Hours Only) Within Articles Or On Right
Day 2: LRC 3ks: Hasay Becomes A Legend, Heath Unleashes His Legendary Kick As of Fri. night, Jordan Hasay was viewed as the former teen prodigy who couldn't quite kick for the big one in college. Now, just as was the case for Galen Rupp two years ago, she is college distance running's biggest star, as she won the mile and then came back in the 3k to make herself into a legend by turning the tables on Sheila Reid. Stanford's Elliott Heath's kick was even more lethal, as he destroyed a super-talented men's 3k field over the final 140m. Includes last lap video coverage.
Day 2: LRC Mid-D: Hasay Gets Title #1, Batty Gets Title #2, Fred Samoei Wins A Nailbiter, And BYU's Bleazard Dominates After being outkicked in the DMR on Fri. night, Jordan Hasay outkicked the competition to grab her first NCAA title as BYU's Miles Batty completed the double in the men's mile, holding off a spirited challenge from Tulsa's Chris O'Hare. The men's 800 featured the best finish of the night as Michael Rutt's bold move to the lead 400 meters in almost held up. In the women' s 800, BYU's Lacey Bleazard won her 2nd indoor title - it's a shame the ESPN3 announcers had no idea who she was. Includes last lap video coverage.
Day 1: LRC DMR: Villanova's Reid Outkicks Oregon's Hasay, BYU's Miles Batty Holds Off Incredible 3:53 Anchor From Andy Bayer Both DMRs had great finishes. The women were first and 'Nova's Sheila
Reid and Oregon's Jordan
Hasay put on
battle for the ages. On the men's side, Andy Bayer split a sick 3:53 to take Indiana from 9th to 2nd, but it was not enough to overtake BYU's Miles Batty, as the night of incredible men's distance running continued with three sub-3:55 splits. Arizona's Lawi Lalang split 3:56.9 and his team lost 3 spots. Recap, interviews, photos, and video of last laps.
LRC 5,000m Recaps: Unheralded Leonard Korir Storms To NCAA Record, Jackie Areson Impresses, Mia Behm Surprises Everyone The men's 5,000m witnessed Iona's Leonard Korir winning a scorching-fast 5k in 13:26.01 over Sam Chelanga, as three guys broke the previous NCAA meet record. On the women's side, Jackie Areson put on a display over the last 600m and Mia Behm, who was 7th at the Big 12, shocked everyone to get 2nd.
Sad News: Sally Meyerhoff Killed In Cycling Accident The two-time All-American and US Olympic Trials qualifier as well former US champion at 25km was killed on Tuesday in a cycling accident at the young age of 27 while she trained for the Ironman World
Championship. *LRC MB: Sad News: Sally Meyerhoff Killed in Accident
*Abc15.com Article With Video On Meyerhoff's Death
*Ahwatukee.com Article On Meyerhoff's Death
*New York Road Runners Article
*More Sad News: Florida High School Track Athlete Sarah Landauer Dies After Collapsing At Practice
The Secret Is ... There Is No Secret
- NY Times Writer Claims New IAAF Gender Rules Are Sexist And even worse, they may be a "violation of Title IX!"
- Ireland's Mark Kenneally Makes Marathon Debut With Second-Fastest Time By An Irishman In Past 3 Years With 2:17:22 Nice to see Irish distance guys stepping it up in response to Ireland's new strict "A" standard policy. Kenneally (who was still on 2:12-14 pace at 22 miles) said, "Look, 2:15 is still very achievable. I honestly wouldn't want to go to London on the 'B' standard because 2:18 simply wouldn't be good enough to be competitive in the Olympics."
- IAAF: 25k WR Holder Samuel Kiplimo Kosgei Making Marathon Debut In Prague
- Marathon Legend Ingrid Kristiansen Praises Paula Radcliffe's Strategy In Coming Back Slow From Childbirth & Preparing For London 2012 She thinks the focus for Paula should not be on chasing another WR, but on getting read to win gold in London.
- George Ntshiliza Is First South African In 8 Years To Win 56km Two Oceans Ultra-Marathon
- Asafa Powell Headlines Shanghai 100m
- BBC Piece On Russian HJer Ivan Ukhov He's come a long way since showing up to a meet drunk and collapsing on the mat 3 years ago.
- One We Missed: 17-Year-Old Aussie Runs 45.58 To Win Australian 400m Champs Over Commonwealth Games Gold Medalist, Sub-45 Guys
- Nice Crowds For Downtown Shot Put At Kansas Relays
- Two Oceans Ultra Saturday In S. Africa
- Carl Lewis' Residency Question Has Not Been Resolved In His Bid For New Jersey Senate
Judge Throws Out Drug Trafficking Charge Against World Steeple Champ Marta Dominguez Thankfully, she still faces counts of tax evasion and allegedly administering medications without a license.
*Former European XC Champ Alemayehu Bezabeh Also Is Cleared Of Doping He's the one who admitted his blood was in a bag.
- After NCAA XC Title And Indoor DMR Title, Sheila Reid Hoping To Get Penn Relays Watch At Last
- After Online Relationship With AJ Acosta, Princeton HJer Justin Frick Needed Little To Sell Him On Oregon
- Oregon 400m Freshman Mike Berry Appears To Be The Real Deal A World Jr. gold, a 3-month marijuana suspension, and now a 45.5 split.
- Penn State's Ryan Foster Has Left His Mark In State College By Winning More Big 10 Titles Than Any Penn State Athlete In History
- $4.5 Million Renovation Of LSU Track Is Complete
David Rudisha Says Training Is Going Well And He's Expecting To Do Well In Doha On May 6th, But That He's A Few Weeks Behind From Last Year
*David Rudisha Rules Out Competing At 400m or 1,500m - For Now
News From Britain
- Somewhere, Benedict Arnold Is Smiling It's Official: Former PSU Star Shana Cox Switches Allegiance To Britian
- Jessica Ennis Worried She May Miss Outdoor Season The "minor" injury has apparently kept her from running or jumping for 7 weeks.
- A Lengthy Look By The BBC At Olympic & World Champ Christine Ohuruogu's Comeback
- Scandal? London Hotels Withdraw Promise To Give LOCOG Hotel Rooms Cheaply They were going to do it but then found out that they were being flipped by ticket resellers for a HUGE profit.
- Q&A With Former Olympic 400H Champ Sally Gunnell
Latest On "Wind-Gate" In Boston
- Former Boston Marathon Champ And RW Editor Amby Burfoot Says Boston Should Withdraw Its World Record Application "On the day he (Mutai) ran Boston, it was an artificially fast course, due primarily to the steady tailwind."
- Famed Coach Renato Canova, Coach Of 2:03:06 2nd-Placer Moses Mosop, Says Wind Only Had "Small Advantage" We disagree with his wind analysis but agree "The reality is that Marathon is changing" with sub-27:00 10,000m guys running it in their prime.
- Kara Goucher Says She Was Worried Three Miles Into Boston Marathon
A World Record For Boston?
- Boston Officials Applying To Have Geoffrey Mutai's 2:03:02 Certified As A World Record Hopefully this is just a publicity stunt. *LRC MB Thread
- We Didn't Feature This Enough: Sciene Of Sport Blog Estimates Boston Wind Was Worth 3-4 Minutes That's exactly what LRC's JK predicted BEFORE the race.
- Chicago Tribune's Philip Hersh Agrees With Wejo, Desiree Davila: Pure Guts Hersh, of course, writes more eloquently than Wejo did yesterday, and says let's discuss the wind another day but praise Desiree.
- The Boston Marathon, A Divine Tailwind, And "The Mother Of All Asterisks" Author says this year's Boston is "exactly the type of race that the asterisk was designed for" and that "in track and road running, times are just too important to view them without context, especially the outliers."
- DailyNation Explains Why Mutai's Time Isn't A WR; BAA's Tom Grilk Says, "No one could have predicted that a time like that would be run." Obviously, he didn't read JK's quote of the day from Sunday.
- The Independent: A 2-Hour Marathon Is The New 4-Minute Mile And Paula Radcliffe's 2:15:25 is worth a 2:01:58 by a man.
- Guy Who Ran The Boston Marathon For 44 Years In A Row Noticed The Distinctive Tailwind "The tailwind really was a wonderful asset. It blew us along for the final miles when you're really fighting yourself, wondering if you can keep going."
- The Oregonian: Ken Goe Gives A "Mainstream" View Of The Boston Results And Voices His Problems With "Stat Geeks"
A World Record For Paula?
Possible New Rule For Women's Marathon Would Create Two World Records: One For Mixed Races And One For All-Women This would mean Paula Radcliffe's 2:15:25 she ran in a mixed race would be a separate record from the 2:17:42 she ran in an all-women race. The 2:15 is "invincible," but the 2:17 could be at risk from runners like Mary Keitany.
Boston Marathon *Live Boston Thread *Women's Reaction *Men's Reaction
*Video Highlights *Weather *Photos
One For The Ages In Boston: Desiree And The Fastest Marathon Ever Run "Unbelievable" is probably the best way to describe the 2011 Boston Marathon.
Davila, off the back of the lead pack multiple times, was gutsy as hell,
battling for the win with Caroline Kilel down the final straight. There were 4 lead changes on the final straight before Kilel came out on top. In the men's race, American Ryan Hall ran 2:04:57 and lost by nearly 2 minutes. Yes, ladies and gentleman, Geoffrey
Mutai and Moses Mosop ran faster than anyone else ever before the in the marathon, 2:03:02 and 2:03:06 respectively, thanks in part to 20 mph tailwinds. Mutai cemented his status as the strongest runner on the planet with the win. We give you some post-race comments below but purposely are holding off discussing the wind.
LRC: Wejo Speaks: Desiree Davila Inspires Us All At The 2011 Boston Marathon She had the entire press room and Alberto Salazar yelling for her.
LRC: Men's Post-Race Reaction The top 4 were all pleased with their blazing fast times. Ryan Hall summed up the magical day: "I am running 2:04 pace and I can't even see the leaders."
LRC: 2011 Boston Marathon Post-Race Reaction From Desiree, Caroline And Kara
*Video Highlights *Men's Post-Race Reaction/Interviews *Women's Post-Race Comments/Interviews
Webb Coaching Search
Not So Fast: LRC Julia Webb: Alan Webb HAS NOT FINALIZED PLANS To Head Back To Virginia To Be Coached By Jason Vigilante
Steve Nearman Stands Behind His Story
Steve Nearman, the former Washington Times reporter who first broke the story about Webb's pro contract in 2002, reported Wednesday night that sources (plural) close to Webb confirmed that Alan was going to be coached by UVA's Jason Vigilante and we said, "Nearman can be trusted." Well, Nearman is trusted in the industry, but Alan's wife Julia Webb has written and said, "Just wanted to give you a heads up that the story is definitely not true ... we are still looking at the options. No decisions made although Vig (is) still a good option." We contacted Nearman and relayed him Julia's comments and he said, "I stand by my story and I stand by my sources."
*RRW: Alan Webb's Agent Ray Flynn Calls Webb Story "Totally Bogus" In reality, Flynn said the story is "at this stage totally bogus."
*LRC MB: *Julia Webb (Alan's wife) Has Written and Said Webb to UVA Story is Not Accurate *Thread On Webb-Vig
- LRC: Desiree Davila Looking For Respect In Boston Davila finished one spot behind Kara Goucher at the last World Championships in the marathon, and she's hoping to finally
out of Kara's shadow at Monday's Boston Marathon. LetsRun.com has spent the last six years getting a mole into the Hansons-Brooks team, and now thanks to him we have this inside look at Desiree's preparations for Boston, which has included a 123-mile week. Article and video interview plus some video of the Hansons-Brooks training runs.
South African Champs *Results (Scroll Down)
- Caster Semenya Does 800m/1,500m Double At S. African Champs (2:02 And 4:12) Her first minor test at 1,500m was successful.
- S. African Outdoor Champs: Olympic Silver Medallist Khotso Mokoena Wins Long Jump, Blade Runner Doesn't Make Final
- S. African Hammer Throw Champ Chris Harmse Wins His 16th-Straight National Title The Commonwealths champ can never compete in the Olympics because the hammer is always on Sunday, and for religious reasons, he can't compete on Sunday (Eric Liddell would approve).
NCAA Action *Texas Relays Results *Pepsi Invite Results *More NCAA Results
- Texas Relays: Texas A&M Brings It At Texas Relays: Gerald Phiri 10.06 100m, 3:00.45 4 X 400, 6 Relay Wins The Aggies have upped their game for sure. Jessica Beard twice split 49.6 for the women's 4 x 400.
LRC: NCAA 800m Champ Fred Samoei Wins Slow Texas Relays Mile Over Leo Manzano And German Fernandez A 2:15 opening 2 laps made this a crap shoot as the WChampionships finalist Manzano was only 4th and Fernandez ran 4:17.
- Jeremy Wariner Motivated For Gold After Anchoring Adidas Team At Texas Relays To 3:04 Win Good thing they weren't in the college race.
- Alex Austin, Son Of Olympic Champ Charles Austin, High Jumps 6'8" With 5 Weeks Of Training
- Pre-Meet Article On Austin: He High Jumped 6'7" In His 2nd Practice Session Ever
Oregon Pepsi Invite: Strong All-Around Performances Lead Oregon To Sweep At Oregon Pepsi Invite Jordan Hasay won the women's 1,500 in 4:18, AJ Acosta won the men's 1,500 and Matt Centrowitz won the 5,000m - all as expected. The big surprise was Oregon freshman and Ethiopian refugee Boru Guyota winning the 800 over Elijah Greer in 1:48.65.
2011 World XC *Results *New Women's Race Photos *New Men's Race Photos
LRC: Shalane Flanagan Gets Bronze The Olympic bronze medallist and ING NYC Marathon runner-up ran a stellar race to snatch the bronze versus a star-studded field. Flanagan appeared to be dropped with 2km to go, but dug deep to stay in contention and battle back for the bronze. World 5,000m champ Vivian Cheruiyot pulled away from World 10,000m
Linet Masai for gold. The American women did very well to get a repeat bronze medal.
Men: Imane Merga Blasts Away From Four Kenyans In Sprint To Win The Kenyan men dominated the team competition and had 4 of the top 5 guys in the pack for the sprint the final 400m. However, the lone Ethiopian - Imane Merga, the Diamond League 5,000m champion - got the win the Kenyan nation wants most every year. Ben True was the first American in 36th, as he and fellow Ivy Leaguer Max King were America's two best.
*Merga: "Before I used to think of myself as a track runner but this winter I have got to like cross-country races more."
*Craig Mottram Finishes As Top Non-Afrrican Born Male In 21st As Two Guys Ahead Of Him Are DQed For Fighting In Race To Line Eritrea's Samuel Tsegay and Ethiopia's Abera Kuma were given the DQ.
Junior Boys: Geoffrey Kipsang Leads Kenya To 13th Straight Title Kipsang was only 4th at the Kenyan Trials but dominated. High schooler Craig Lutz was the first American in 29th.
Junior Girls: Faith Kipyegon Of Kenya Wins, But Ethiopia Edges Them For Team Title High schooler Aisling Cuffe was the first American in 17th.
Other Nationals *NCAA D3 Champs *NCAA D2 Champs *HS Nationals Results *Photos
HS: Lukas V. Runs Away From The Top Milers To Complete Historic High School Nationals Triple His double on Sunday was super-impressive, but we had completely forgotten about German
8:34 double at the California state meet.
*IAAF Article On Verzbicas
We Wrote This Article Too Soon:
Gerry Lindgren's Legendary 47-Year-Old High School National Record Survives Scare From Lukas Verzbicas And Edward Cheserek Verzbicas hammered home over the final lap to pull away from Cheserek, but in the end, Lindgren's 8:40.0 lived to see another day, as Verzbicas ran 8:40.70 and Cheserek shattered the high school indoor and overall sophomore class records with his 8:42.66. More: Gerry Lindgren 8:40 indoors *LRC MB Lukas V. 8:40.7!! *LRC MB So close *Running Times Q&A With Lindgren About His 8:40.0 Note: This article incorrectly implies the record was set in a 16-lap race.
*Lucas Verzbicas (14:06.78) & (Waverly Neer) 16:35.15 Set National HS 5,000 Records
Tokyo Marathon: A Legend Is Born *Photos
Hailu Mekonnen Wins, Japanese Amateur Yuki Kawauchi Runs Amazing 2:08:37 For 3rd And Faints At Finish Yuki Kawauchi's story is amazing.
A 13:59 5ker and 29:02 10ker, he has a full-time job and has stayed away from the Japanese collegiate and professional system, yet he stunned all of Japan with a 2:08:37 run. Dreams do become reality.
*On The Boards: 13:59 5k, 29:02 10k Japanese AMATEUR Runs 2:08:37 at Tokyo Marathon and Passes Out
Records For Rupp And Farah *Video Of Rupp's And Farah's Race
Galen Rupp & Mo Farah Set National 5k Records!
(13:11.44 and 13:10.60) The two Alberto Salazar-coached athletes put on a brave battle, with Farah coming out on top on the last lap, as Rupp regained his American record from Bernard Lagat by .06. Rupp and Farah will be training together through 2012 and their partnership is off to a strong start. Rupp is scheduled to go for the American 10k record next week in New Zealand. The meet also saw a cool 400m hurdles race (video
here or on the right), an 8:30 3k and American Morgan Uceny going sub-2:00 in the 800.
*Mo Farah Breaks British 5,000m Record With His New Coach Alberto Salazar One Of The 8,000 In Attendance Telegraph.co.uk
*Farah Credits Salazar's Coaching
*Rupp/Farah 5k Video
The 10 Best High School XC Runners Ever
LRC Week That Was: The 10 Best High School XC Runners Of All Time, Verzbicas, Tribute To Gary Reed, The NY Times & The NE Patriots And More We've got the entire running world covered from San Diego to Japan, from the high school ranks to the pros, and even talk about the NE Patriots and the NY Times.
Andrew Bumbalough Thriving In 1st Year As Pro One Year After Getting Mono And Nearly Being Left Out Of Nike's Plans This is an unbelievably good piece of writing for a college newspaper. It also reveals he's gotten his mileage up to 90 per week from 65 to 70 in college.
Boston (Updated Photo Gallery Below) *Recap Analysis: *JK On The Wind *Wejo On Desiree *Rojo *London And Boston *Video Highlights
Boston And London Prediction Contest Scores
Check Your Scores Here And See If You Won The $450 Our very own Rojo opened his mouth and said if 1 of 4 guys didn't win London we'd throw in additional $300. Rojo is famous for his bold predictions. If you liked our contest, remember the easiest way to show your appreciation is by buying shoes from our partners. Click here to save 15% off at Road Runner Sports.
Fast Action In Oregon This Weekend
Game Changer If You Got A Lot Of Coin
Washington Post Columnist Calls Alter-G Treadmill A Game Changer Problem for athletes is that they cost $75,000. The rehab model for some reason is "only" $30,000.
2:03:02 In Boston: Men's Highlights From Boston (More Here)
Desiree Davila Pure Guts
Emmanual Mutai Becomes A Star, Legend Martin Lel Outkicks Makau (You Can Watch The Full Race Here)
Mary Keitany Crushes London (Highlights And Post Race Comments)
Mt. SAC Relays/NCAA *Results *Schedule *Live Video Stream *Heat Sheets *Sea Ray Results *Other NCAA Results
Results The 2011 US outdoor season unofficially heated up for the first time on Friday night in Southern California, as US star Shalane Flanagan edged collegiate star Sheila Reid in the 1,500m (4:11), Russell Brown blitzed a 53.84 last 400 to catch Chris Solinsky in the 1,500m as both pros ran 3:35 to NCAA champ Miles Batty's 3:36 (Matt Tegenkamp 3:40, video on right),
American record holder Molly
Huddle held back a challenge from Jenny Simpson in the 5,000m (15:10) and Aaron Braun held off a fast-closing Jorge Torres in the men's 5k.
More: *53.84 Last Lap Gives Russell Brown Victory Over Chris Solinsky At Mt. SAC *BYU Release On Miles Batty's 3:36.25 Not mentioned in the release is the fact that Batty came within .41 of the American collegiate record and within 1 second of the collegiate record. *LRC MB: DID SOLINSKY JUST RUN 3:35? *Jenny B got OWNED
*Jeff Demps 9.96 With 2.4mps Wind
2nd-Year UCLA Coach Loves Dual Meets, Deserves Praise For Keeping UCLA/Oregon Dual Meet Alive
Mt. SAC Men's 1,500m Video (Russell Brown And Solinsky) *Meet Results
Desiree Davila Ready For Boston (More In-Depth Here)
Question Of The Day?
Train Smarter (More In The Training Forum)
- Scheduling Rest Days - How Often?
- stress fracture twice in same bone in 6 months...HELP
- Coaching that once-in-a-career athlete
- Is there any point doing tempo runs if your event is 3200m or shorter? Let us just chime in with an emphatic yes.
- Anyone get sick or catch a cold right after a race???
Women's World XC In Photos
Men's World XC In Photos
The Greatest Comeback Ever?
Train Smarter (More In The Training Forum)
- Wow, Lydiard training seems ridiculously hard
- best marathon improvement after age 40?
- How does "strength" differ from "speed" and "endurance" as a runner?
- "A runner needs a LT run every 2 to 5 days in order to not lose any aerobic ability."
Training Talk Is Back
Training Talk With New Marathon Star Stephanie Rothstein And Ben Bruce Stephanie lowered her marathon PR by over 10 minutes, skipping the 2:30s entirely, running 2:29:35 in Houston. And she's still got her sights on lowering it another 10 minutes. Textual recap coming later, but you can listen above or download the podcast here (1:30).
Save Some Cash
Save Some Cash
- Long run, 25% of your weekly mileage?
- 5x1 mile repeats with 1:1 work/rest ratio, 10k time?
- Marathon Training Thread - Week Ending 10/17
- Could I break 33 mins. in the 10k based on this workout
- Does anybody here train using Daniels Running Formula
Universal Sports Back To Top