Let The Regular Season Begin In Dream Fashion - IAAF Diamond League Begins Friday *Start Lists/Schedule/Streaming Info (12 Noon ET) *IAAF Fantasy League Returns
Says The Track Stars Avoid Each Other? 2013 DL Kicks Off In Style: Rudisha Vs. Aman, Kiprop Vs. Kiplagat, Aregawi Vs. Dibaba Plus Hagos Gebrhiwet
The 2013 Diamond League season will get under way on Friday with some truly incredible mid-d and distance action. The world's two best pre-Olympic male and female 1,500 runners will clash. David Rudisha will try to avenge his season-ending loss to Mo Aman and the great Hagos Gebrhiwet will open up outdoors in his last race as an 18-year-old. If he wins convincingly, Mo Farah's days on top may be numbered.
*IAAF Overall Meet Preview *DL Event By Event Preview *AP
She's Such A Big Star, She Even Does Photo Shoots In The Middle East: LRC 4 Photos From Today's Doha Photo Shoot With Lolo Jones
- RRW American Gabriele Anderson Looking to Step Up Her Game With Diamond League 1,500 Debut in Doha
- Highlights From 2013 IAAF Diamond League Doha Press Conference - David Rudisha Says He'll Move Up To The 1k later This Year *IAAF Article On Presser *Presser Photo Gallery
- Rudisha Will Race Over 1,000m At Ostrava Golden Spike Meet In June
- 1,500m Stars Asbel Kiprop, Abdalaati Iguiden And Silas Kiplagat Are Ready For Doha
But Say It's hard To Equal Aouita, El G And Other Past Legends
Their quotes are bound to get the anti-dopers fired up.
- Kiprop Ahead Of Doha: “This is the year to redeem my image ... I believe I’m now ready to face the competition and restore my name."
- Rain Dance? Mohamed Aman: "Hopefully I will find the way to beat David Rudisha again. I have a plan but I am not going to reveal it. You will see me on track!"
- UK HJ Bronze Medalist Robbie Grabarz Lost Focus After The Olympic And Only Finished 6th, But Has Worked With A Sport Psychologists & Is Ready For Doha
- Olympic 100m Champ Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce Excited To Do More 200's This Season And Wants To Eventually Become One Of The Best Over The Longer Sprint
- IAAF Fantasy Tip: SA's 400 Hurdler LJ van Zyl Getting His Hurdle Season Going In Doha, But Coach Says He "Is Not At The Level To Win At The Moment"
- UK's Christine Ohuruogu Approaching This Season Differently, Getting More Aggressive From The Start Instead Of Waiting For Championship Season She wants to "shed her reputation of being purely a championship performer" by running fast early as well.
- Olympic LJ Champ Brittney Reese Hungry For U.S. Record, World Title
Other Weekend Action
- MileSplit Weekend Coverage: Edward Cheserek Anchors St. Benedict DMR Team To The Win With A 4:03.63 At Loucks Games Their overall time was 10:06.45. *MB: Cheserek 4:03 mile!
- Commonwealth Games 5,000m Bronze Medalist Mark Kiptoo Dominates 10,000 At Kenya Defence Forces Championships He won in 28:55 as Gladys Cherono won the women’s 5,000m in 16:44 over three-time world cross-country runner Lineth Chepkurui (16:45.1) and world championships marathon bronze medalist Sharon Cherop (16:46.1). In today's women's 800 final, Winnie Chebet will face Nancy Jebet Lagat and Hellen Obiri.
- Brett Larner Previews The Next Few Weeks Of Competitive Track Action In Japan 2007 Osaka World Championships bronze medalist Martin Mathathi will lead 10,000m field on Saturday at the Golden Games where they will be trying to get under the 27:40 World Champs "A" standard.
- French TJer Teddy Tamgho Competing At Home On Sunday And Going For The World Champs "A" Standard Of 17.20m He holds the indoor WR at 17.92m, but has been out over year with injury and has only jumped a 16.76m in late March.
- May 11 UAE Healthy Kidney 10K: WR Holder Leonard Komon Leads Deep Field Of Top Africans And Americans To Chase Big Money At UAE Healthy Kidney 10-K Meb Keflezighi is back in action leading the Americans Bobby Mack and Jon Grey. Top Africans include 2008 Olympic bronze winner Edwin Soi, former World XC silver and bronze medalist Moses Kipsorio and African Jr. 5k champ Abera Kuma, as well as Former NCAA stars Stephen Sambu and Leonard Korir. Aussies Collis Birmingham, Ben St. Lawrence and Brett Robinson are also racing.
Previous Doha News
*Allyson Felix Will Try To Keep Her 10-Win Streak In Doha Going When She Faces 2011 World Champ Amantle Montsho & Olympic Silver Medalist Christine Ohuruogu In The 400
*Elites Felix, Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce, Brittney Reese and Christian Taylor Visit Olympics Past and Present Exhibition Before Meet
*IAAF: Diamond League Is A "Valuable Property"
*IAAF President Lamine Diack Says He Isn't Worried About The Loss Of The Diamond League Sponsor And Says That The Series Will Continue To Thrive
Other Upcoming Road Action
- Saturday: RunnerSpace Q&A With Matt Tegenkamp, Who's Prepping For The US 25k Champs This Weekend Teg says he'll be on the roads a lot more often this year, but doesn't mean "track is out of the question."
- Sunday: Japan World Championships Marathoners Yuki Kawauchi And Mizuki Noguchi Headline Sendai Half Marathon They'll face defending champion Johana Maina (1:01:28), sub-60 man Mekubo Mogusu and 2012 Fukuoka Marathon winner Joseph Gitau (1:01:19).
- May 18: Kim Smith Headlines Field For Brooklyn Half
- May 19: Ryan Hall Racing Bay To Breakers 12k The last time Hall finished a race was the Healthy Kidney 10-K in New York City last May.
- May 26: Recovered From The Shin Injury Which Kept Her Out Of The London Marathon, Tirunesh Dibaba Will Race The Bupa Great Manchester Run Road 10k Why does every UK road race have "Great" in the title?
- May 27: Mo Farah Will Go For His 5th Straight Victory At Bupa London 10k Scott overall is also in the field; Steph Twell leads the women.
- The BAA's First Race Since Boston Bombing (The BAA 10k) Fills Up Fast 6,500 runners filled the field in 13 hours.
- SA's Rene Kalmer Still Confident She Can Defend Her Spar Women's GP Series Title Even Though She's 10th In The Standings She finished 4th in the first race, but missed one due to injury and there are 3 more.
- Recommended Read: RunBlogRun Looks Back At The Career Of Khadevis Robinson And Talks To Him About His Plans For 2013 With a wife, two kids, and a full-time coaching job at Ohio State, KD isn't sure what we'll see from him in 2013 or if he'll even be at US Champs in Des Moines.
- Erik Sowinski Gets A Nike Contract
- Good RW Q&A With Nick Willis, Who Is Taking An Approach To His 2013 Racing/Training Schedule More Like The One He Did In 2008 When He Won Olympic Silver Very interesting that his wife actually has a large say in his training and he gets her input on every workout beforehand. She's also there during the workouts along with coach Ron Warhurst.
- Willis Concedes That His 7-Race Win Streak This Season Will End At adidas GP 800 Against David Rudisha The field will also include Olympic bronze medalist Timothy Kitum, Robby Andrews and Erik Sowinski.
- David Rudisha And His Coach Brother Colm O'Connell Say He Is Still Motivated To Keep Winning After A Dream Season In 2012 Rudisha: "I have won all titles an athlete can ever wish and dream to become but I want to be motivated because they are those who have defended them several times."
- 59 Years Ago (
May 7May 6) Roger Bannister Ran The First Sub-4:00 Mile: The Guardian Pulls Their Original Report From The Archive
Two Interesting Reads From The UK
- Recommended Read #1 Dai Greene & Gold: Pain Of Finishing 4th In London Will Never Leave, But Brit Aims To Rule The World After Olympic Agony
- Good Read: Meet Jack Holden - The Oldest European Marathon Champ In History Holden, who was born in 1907, was a marathon star in his 40s.
And One From The US:
- RR#2: Connecticut Post's Series On Running High School Cross-Country For An Inner-City School By Tim Loh
Re:Run San Diego Was Sunday Morning
San Diego Tribune On Mary Cain's Great Run Nice read by Mark Zeigler. We wish people would stop comparing Cain to Mary Decker. Mary Decker has a drug offense on her record and is not someone to emulate.
Results: Duane Solomon Wins 800 In 1:46.54 Over Erik Sowinski And Lopez Lomong; Brenda Martinez (1:59.59) Wins Women's 800 As Mary Cain Runs 2:01.68 In 4th (updated with splits) In the mile races, Paul Robinson won in 4:04 after the field went out in 2:10, beating Jordan McNamara in 2nd (4:04.71); David Torrence was 6th (4:05.38). For the women, Susan Kuijken won in 4:27.13 over Brie Felnagle (4:28.90).
*OTB: Mary Cain 2:01.68!!! *Mary Cain-2:01.68 @ Re:Run *Re:RUN San Diego Results & Discussion
Sunday US Road/Conference Champs Results *Links To All NCAA Action
Non-Conference Results: Ethiopia's Belete Assefa (34:21) Wins Bloomsday 12k Over Kenya's Emmanual Bett (34:33) Brent Vaughn was the top American in 8th place (35:28) as Abdi Abdirahman was 10th (35:46) and Zach Hine 13th (36:09). For the women, Ethiopia's Buzunesh Deba dominated in 39:53 as Kellyn Johnson was the first American in 5th (40:42). *Top Results *MB Thread
*Kenyan James Kirwa Defends His Title To Win Pittsburgh Marathon In 2:13:37 As American Mary Akor Won The Women's Race In 2:37:35 Kenyans Julius Kogo and Risper Gesabwa took the 13.1 mile titles in 1:02:32 (CR) and 1:13:16 respectively.
*AP: Pittsburgh Marathon Run Amid Tightened Security
*Feisha Ayelle (47:02) and Askale Merachi (53:45) Win Broad Street Run 10 Miler In Philadephia (results)
*HS: Oregon Recruit MaryBeth Sant Runs High School Leading 11.38 To Win 100 At St. Vrain Invitational In CO She also ran 23.91 at the same meet.
Big 12: *Big 12 Full Results *Texas Men, Kansas Women Claim Big 12 Titles Both meets were close with Texas beating Oklahoma 146.5 points to 133 and Kansas winning with 158 over Texas with 145. Final day highlights included Oklahoma going 1-2 in the 1,500 as Patrick Casey set a Big 12 record of 3:40.04, beating out Riley Masters (3:41.22), OK State going 1-3 in the 5k led by Kirubel Erassa (13:53.53), who won over Girma Mecheso (13:54.62) and Tom Farrell (13:55.47), Betsy Saina winning the 5k by 33 seconds in 15:41, Natalja Piliusina winning her 3rd straight outdoor 800 title in 2:03.99 and Texas' Trevor Van Ackeren winning the steeple (8:49).
*Texas Article *Big 12 Meet Site
Heps: *Full Men's Results *Princeton Men Win 3rd Straight Heps Princeton was trailing Cornell, but put 3 in the top 5 of the 5K to pull ahead, led by Michael Franklin's win (who also won the 10k). Princeton's Peter Callahan won the 1,500 in 3:49.74.
*Full Women's Results *Cornell Women Defend Heps Title, Beating Columbia By 24 Points Abbey D'Agostino dominated the 1,500 in 4:11.94 and also won the 3k in 9:21.79. Cornell's Rachel Sorna won the steeplechase in 9:58.96. All-Americans Sorna and Katie Kellner had impressive distance triples, each winning their specialty event, to help the Big Red cause.
*Day 2 Highlight Video
Big East: *Men's Results *UConn Men Win Their Big East Crown In Close Battle With Notre Dame Notre Dame's Jeremy Rae won the 1,500 in 3:47.76.
*Women's Results *Notre Dame Women Dominate Big East Championships Villanova's Emily Lipari won the 1,500 in 4:24.25.
Patriot: Patriot League Report, Final Day: Bucknell Sweeps Men's And Women's Titles *Results
PAC-12: Oregon's Dakotah Keys Wins PAC-12 Decathlon Title; Arizona State's Keia Pinnick Won The Heptathlon Multi events are the week before the rest of the meet for the PAC-12. *Results
Saturday Conference/US Track News
Non-Conference Results: Lukas Verzbicas Runs 4:11 1,500 At Oxy Invite
*Video: Newly Minted Sub-4 Miler Michael Rutt Wins, Beating Robby Andrews For The Second Week In A Row Last week, it was the mile at Penn Relays. This time it was an 800 where Rutt ran 1:47.51 to Andrews' 1:48.35. *MB Thread
*Andres Arroyo Wins 3 Titles (1,600/800/3,200) At Florida State Meet In The Span Of 2 Hours 4:15, 1:54 and 9:30 in rainy conditions.
*OTB: Andres Arroyo wins 800, 1,600, 3,200 at states
*Rorey Fraser - new 4:03 Colorado soil record
*Past Dopers run well at Indy 500 Mini-Marathon
Big 12: *Live Results *Big 12 Championships Report, Day 2: Texas Men, Kansas Women In The Lead Oklahoma went 1-2 in the 10k with Kevin Schwab winning in 29:12.
*Iowa State Women Dominate Big 12 l0K As 5 Score And Meaghan Nelson Wins In 35:05 And this is without Betsy Saina.
*Big 12 Meet Site
*Erik Kynard Becomes First 3-Time Big 12 HJ Champ
A Bit Tired From Stanford, But Betsy Saina And Iowa State Are Ready For Big 12s
*MB: What happened in Big 12 10k? 3 dqs...
Heps: Men, Day 1: Princeton And Cornell Neck-And-Neck (Princeton Leads By 3 Points) Princeton was down going into the 10k, but put 4 in the top 5 to pull ahead. *Men's Results
*Women, Day 1: Cornell Leads Katie Kellner defended her 10k title as Cornell put 4 in the top 6. *Results
*Day 1 Video Recap
Big East: *Men's Results *Women's Results *Connecticut Men And Notre Dame Women Lead After Second Day Of Big East Champs Providence's Emily Sisson won the 10k in 33:02.
The Inspiration That Leads To A Champion Racewalker: SA/African Champ Lebogang Shange: "When I saw [race walking on TV] I thought it would be much easier than running, so I decided to become a race walker."
- Russia's European 800 Champion Yelena Arzhakova Gets A 2-Year Ban
*UK's Lynsey Sharp Promoted To European 800 Gold After Arzhakova's Ban Sharp: "It makes me sick that I was denied the opportunity to do a lap of honour and stand on the top of the podium with my national anthem playing."
- Russia's Olympic Discus Silver Medallist Darya Pishchalnikova Gets 10-Year Ban After Failing Drug Test For Second Time She was previously banned from July 2008 to April 2011 and then sample taken from May 2012 came back positive. So she was back for a year before being caught doping again. Why 10 years and not life?
- Austrian Distance Runner Susanne Pumper Gets 8-Year Ban For Second EPO Doping Offence And Will Be Stripped Of All Results Since 2008 Again, why no lifetime ban?
- WADA Officials Appealing Against Spanish Court's Ruling That Calls For All Evidence In Operacion Puerto Doping Scandal Case To Be Destroyed
2 Reviews & 1 Book Excerpt From John McDonnell: The Most Successful NCAA Coach In History
LRC Book Review By Former Hog Marlon Boykins: "Two Thumbs Up:"
book is full of insight into the hard-working, team-first ethos that
made us such a successful." We had two people review the book, including the 1:47 man Boykins, who was at Arkansas at the pinnacle of its heyday. "It was a self-contained UBER-COMPETITIVE atmosphere ... the sprinters, jumpers and distance guys all trying to show which group reigned supreme ..."
Book Excerpt The Legendary Story Of The 1989 Penn Relays DMR, Where 4 Kids From Arkansas, Texas And Missouri Beat 4 African Olympians And The Olympic 1,500m Champ The 1989 Mount St. Mary's Penn Relays DMR team featured 4 African Olympians, including 1988 Olympic 1,500m champ Peter Rono. John McDonnell's Arkansas squad featured 4 kids from Texas, Missouri and Arkansas. A legendary motivational speech by McDonnell and Joe Falcon on the anchor made for one of the great upsets in Penn Relays history. Read all about it in this excerpt from the new John McDonnell biography.
LRC Review #2 John McDonnell D2 Coach Torrey Olson We had Olson, who has an MFA in creative writing, give his take. "It's got a lot to offer anyone interested in an incredibly sustained passion for the both the sport and the profession."
Thursday Night's Medtronic Twin Cities Mile *Elite Results *Full Results *Photos
Nick Willis And Sarah Brown Win Over Competitive Fields At Medtronic TC 1 Mile In Minneapolis (link updated) Nick Willis (3:56.2) was the class of the field
where six men broke 4:00 as Garrett Heath was 2nd - Will Leer 4th. Brown got a narrow victory over Nicole Sifuentes, 4:33.3 to 4:33.4. *Elite Results
*Longer Medtronic Recap From DownTheBackStretch
More Conference Champs This Weekend *Links To All NCAA Action *USTFCCCA Previews: SEC, Pac-12, Big 10
- SEC (Started Thurs.): *Live Results *Schedule/Streaming Info Missouri Live Stream Fri.; ESPN 3 Live Stream Sat./Sun.
*Start Of SEC Championships Delayed By Weather
*SEC Championships Preview
*Aggies Challenge For SEC Titles This Weekend
- Big 10 (Starts Fri.): *Live Results/Start Lists *Schedule *Heat Sheets *Meet Home
*Big 10 Championships Preview
*Defending Badger Men Aim For Big 10 Triple Crown
*Coach Gary Pepin Says Nebraska Men Have The Talent To Win Big 10 Title
*Wisconsin Men Excited About Big 10
- PAC-12 (Starts Sat.): *Live Results *Meet Site *Meet Program *Schedule *Accepted Entries
*The Oregon Women Not Holding Back At Pac-12 Champs; They're All In To Try And Win 5th Straight Title
*Jordan Hasay Says She's Moved To The 10k With 2016 Games In Mind: I would love to be competitive on the world level at the 1,500, but I just don't see it happening." She even talks about her hair: "A teammate actually says she's come up with a list of compelling reasons to cut my hair before I turn pro ... I used to be like, it's no big deal, it just happens to be my hair. But now it's like when people tell me to cut it, I won't. It's very much my trademark. It's like a lucky thing."
*UO's Laura Roesler Looking To Defend Her Pac-12 800 Title After Running A Big PR And 7th Fastest Time In The World Of 2:01.75 At Mt. Sac
*Transfer Trend Keeps Paying Big Dividends For Oregon
*Oregon State's High Jumper/Volley Baller Sara Almen Ready For Opportunity At Pac-12 Champs
*Ken Goe: UO Men Are Heavy Favorites To Repeat As PAC-12 Champions; The Women Could Be In Trouble On the women's size Arizona is favorite with UO and Arizona State also in the mix.
*Schedule: Starts Saturday Replay on PAC-12 network Wednesday May 15th at 9PM ET.
- Big Sky: *Meet Home *Live Results/Entries *Schedule *Streaming
- IC4A/ECAC: *Schedule *Results *Info
- Other: Cal Poly Star Freshman Laura Hollander Running The 5k At This Weekend's Big West Conference Champs
*Sun Belt Conference Championships Preview
Bolt Opened Up At 100m On Wed. *2013 Cayman International Invitational Full Results
- Shocker: LRC Usain Bolt Nearly Beaten - Opens 2013 Season With A Less Than Impressive 10.09 Bolt was way behind 85 meters into this race and only won in a photo after his training partner
seemingly slowed on purpose at the finish line.
- LRC Race Video And Picture Of Photo Finish The photo finish has been released to prevent people from going off on big conspiracies. The TV camera angle was so bad, people watching it live assumed he'd lost.
- Bolt On His Sub-Par Race: "I'm always disappointed if I don't run under 10 seconds ... It was just a bad race." "I just did not feel the power from the blocks and when I got to 50 metres it wasn't the normal race. ... I just have to go back and figure out with my coach what went wrong."
- IAAF Recap: Leshawn Merritt Wins 200 In 20.26, Carmelita Jeter Sets WLing Time In 100 With 10.95 Jamaica’s Olympic bronze medallist Hansle Parchment won the 110H in 13.25, Dominican Republic’s Olympic silver medallist Luguelin Santos won the 400 in 45.35.
- MB: Bolt 10.09 at Cayman Invitational
- Doc Pattton Tweets He Thinks Bolt Might Have Lost
- Ato Boldon Complains About The Camera Angle On The Replay
- Bolt Pre-Race On What He Was Expecting: "First race, 9.8 would be a very good start to the season ... I am feeling good."
- IOC Vice President Thomas Bach Announces That He Will Be A Candidate To Replace Jacques Rogge As IOC President He won a team foil gold in 1976 Olympic fencing event.
- Rio Proposing Changing Name Of Olympic Stadium To Remove Former FIFA President João Havelange's Name Who's Been Accused Of Taking Bribes
- Former 110H WR Holder Colin Jackson And European Champ Sergey Shubenkov Put On Hurdles Class For Siberian Youth
Sprint News: Sally Person Is Healthy And Racing
- Sally Person Leads Aussie 4 X 100 To Easy Victory At Chonburi, Thailand Asian GP Series Meet They ran 44.06, just missing World Championships qualification standard by .06.
- Keep It Up Tyson, It's Working: Tyson Gay Feels Almost Like He's "Cheating Himself" Because He's Holding Back In Practice To Make Sure He Stays Healthy "I'm just trying to use the races for races and use practice for practice, instead of racing in practice."
*Jamaica Gleaner: "Behind the warm and respectful applause for Tyson Gay at last Saturday's Jamaica Invitational, there was tangible concern."
*MileSplit Video Interviews With Gay And Nickel Ashmeade After Their Season Opener In Jamaica
*Gay Named USATF Athlete Of The Week For His 9.86 World Lead
- Maurice Greene Takes A Shot At Current US Sprinters, Saying They're Way Behind Jamaica Because They Don't Work Hard Enough Greene: "Especially in America, the athletes expect it to come a lot easier than it is, and that's wrong. They never see all the hard work that we put into it, they just saw us performing and people loving us and I think that's what's wrong with US sprinting today."
News At Home
- NCAA 10k Champ And Trials 2nd Placer Natosha Rogers Talks To RW About Why She Quit Running Back when the news broke there were conflicting reports, but she says she sustained a serious knee injury when she fell back in the fall and really hasn't recovered from it. She says, "I do believe I'll run again, but it'll be on my knee's terms when it's ready so I can give 100 percent."
- Race Video: Tokyo Steeplechase: Abel Mutai Wins, Cory Leslie 8:20 The fall at 7:20 is worth a watch.
- If It Gets More Track On TV Then Great: Sanya Richards-Ross Has Her Own TV Show "Glam And Gold," Which Is Coming Out In July
- Updated DI Rankings: Florida Men Still 1st While Kansas Women Take Over From Texas A&M
- Video: Watch Runners' View Of The Confusion Of Hearing The Explosions And Being Halted During The Boston Marathon
- Dad Runs Pittsburgh Marathon Blindfolded In Honor Of His Vision-Impaired Daughter He ran 3:48 and raised $25,000 for the Vision Research ROPARD Foundation.
- Inspirational Video Abut Guy Who Was Born With Cystic Fibrosis But Still Runs Marathons
- Oregon State Senator Says He'd Like To See A Co-Ed Relays At The Olympics
Jamaican Invitational *Results *Meet Website
- Wow: Tyson Gay Blows Away The Field With A 9.86 Victory In His Season Opener; Nesta Carter 2nd (10.03), Doc Patton 3rd (10.07) In the women's 100m, Veronica Campbell-Brown won in 11.01sec as Allyson Felix was back in fifth (11.13).
*IAAF Recap: 5 World Leads, Including US's Ryan Whiting's 21.74m Throw In The SP Over Christian Cantwell (20.29m) Nickel Ashmeade won the 200 in 20.00 (WL) over bronze medalist Warren Weir and Wallace Spearmon, Luguelin Santos took the 400 in 45.15 1, US's Antwon Hicks upset bronze medalist Hansle Parchment in the 110H, Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce won the 200 in 22.38 as Stephanie McPherson (50.43) beat 2008 Olympic champ Christine Ohuruogu (50.58) in the 400 and Dawn Harper took revenge on Queen Harrison winning by .02 with a WLing 12.62.
*Full Results *MB: Tyson Gay opens with 9.86!
Other International Action *Full Seiko Golden Grand Prix Results
- David Rudisha Opens Season In Style - Lowers PR From 45.50 To 45.15
- Tokyo Seiko Golden Grand Prix: IAAF Recap: Japan's 10.01 Junior Yoshihide Kiryu "Breaks Japanese Hearts" Finishing 3rd As US's Mike Rodgers Wins Rodgers clocked 10.19 seconds into a 1.2 headwind as Bahamas' 2007 World Champs silver medallist Derrick Atkins was second (10.24) and Kiryu ran 10.40 for 3rd. In other events, Kenyan Anthony Chemut won the 800 in 1:46.51 over Robert Biwott (1:46.98) as US's Tyler Mulder
was 3rd (1:47.22), Bulgaria’s Ivet Lalova won the 100 (11.46), Russia's Anna Chicherova won the HJ (1.95m), US’s Olympic bronze medallist Janay DeLoach leapt 6.82m to win the LJ and former World 400 Hurdles champ Bershawn Jackson won in 49.11.
*100m Race Video *Canada's Fastest Man Justyn Warner Sings With Nike He has a 10.09 PR and is looking to become Canada's 3rd sub-10 man and opened here with a 5th place finish (10.50).
- Cory Leslie Runs 8:20.08 Steeplechase In Tokyo Leslie is having a great season as he crushed Leo Manzano and Nick Symmonds in the Kansas State mile a couple weeks ago. Here he was 4th as Jairus Birech won in a world-leading 8:15:26 over Olympic bronze medallist Abel Mutai (8:19.31).
- Lolo Wins: Race Video: Lolo Jones Wins Tokyo 100H In 12.92 Over Kellie Wells Wells was leading before she hit a hurdle midway through and finished 2nd (13.07).
*Neat Freaks Beware: Lolo Jones Shares Pictures Of Her Extremely Messy Hotel Room In Tokyo
- Full Results
- Big 25 Berlin: Richard Sigei And Lucy Kabuu Clock World-Leading Times In Warm Weather In Berlin's 25K Race Sigei won in 1:13:34 as Lucy Kabuu ran 1:21:37 to win the women's race.
*SA Olympic Marathoner Tanith Maxwell Finishes 6th At Big 25 Berlin
- TUI Marathon Hanover: SA's Lusapho April And Ukraine's Olena Burkovska Break TUI Marathon Hannover CRs Despite Warm Temperatures Both had comfortable victories, April running 2:08:32 while Burkovska finished in 2:27:07.
- Kericho 10k: World XC Champ Emily Chebet Wins Kericho 10k Road Race In Kenya In Close Battle With Pascalia Chepkorir And Emmy Chepkirui Josephat Bett won the men's 10k while 2006 World XC silver medalist Alice Chelang'at won the Kericho Marathon in 2:51:07. In the men's race, guides took the runners off course, so some ran 52k and others 42k and the winning
time was only 2:45:10.
- Other: Yuki Kawauchi Wins Half Marathons On Back-To-Back Days (Second One In 1:05:45) And Declines Prize For Winning "It wouldn't be right to accept prizes. I'm here for the people, and if that helps make the race more popular then I've accomplished my mission."
- AW Recap Second Day Of BUCS Track Championships *Day 1
- Former African XC Champ John Mwangangi Wins 10k In 28:28 At Final National Bank Of Kenya/Athletics Kenya Series Meet Peter Njoroge won the 5k in 13:35 as World Championships steepler Gladys Kemboi won the women's racec in 15:55. Lawrence Kemboi won the men's steeple in 8:33. Asbel Kiprop skipped the 800 final after racing the trails on Friday.
- Zimbabwean Rutendo Nyahora Wins Second Successive Race In Spar Women's Challenge 10km Series In SA (33:09)
- Trinidad And Tobago's Olympic Javelin Champ Keshorn Walcott Opens His Season With A 84.39m Throw (2nd Farthest Of His Career)
- IAAF Recap Asian Grand Prix Series Meeting In Bangkok: Kazakh TJer Roman Valiyev Highlights With A 17.10m Jump
- More Fast Japanese Youngsters: 2010 World Jr. 200m Champion Iizuka Runs World-Leading 20.21 For All-Time Japanese #3, 18-Year-Old Hashimoto 2nd In 20.35
In The Next Month
- May 19th Gifu Seiryu Half Marathon: WR Holder Zersenay Tadese Vs. 2007 World 10k Bronze Medalist Martin Mathathi As Well As Ryan Vail And Yuki Kawauchi The women's race is led by 2012 Amsterdam Marathon runner-up Eunice Kirwa Jepkirui, 2008 World XC silver medalist Mestawet Tufa and two-time Olympic marathon silver medalist Catherine Ndereba.
- May 26th: Slew OF British Olympians Set For UK's Bupa Westminster Mile Fields include Andy Baddeley, Ross Murray, Nick McCormick, Hannah England, Lisa Dobriskey and Steph Twell.
- May 26th: Haile Gebrselassie Will Try To Win His 6th Title At Bupa Great Manchester Run 10k As He Is Challenged By Wilson Kipsang UK's Chris Thompson is also in the field.
- June 1st: Olympic Champ Mariya Savinova Vs. Former Olympic Champ Pamela Jelimo At This Year's Pre Classic 800 Also in the field are Alysia Montano and Janeth Jepkosgei.
- June 1: Olympic Champ Robert Harting Leads Stacked Discus Competition At Prefontaine Classic As Reigning World Champion Mariya Abakamova Leads Javelin
Stanford Was April 28 *Women's Results *Men's Results
LRC Men's Results And Flash Recap Ben True's big season continued
as he won the 5k, but the most improved American is Eric Jenkins, who came into the meet as a 14:04 guy but is now one of the 10 fastest collegians in history thanks to his 13:18! Chris
Solinsky's comeback to relevance took
a BIG step forward while Alan Webb's took somewhat of a hit.
*Ashton Eaton Was 3rd In PV With 16 Feet, 3/4 Inch As His Fiance Brianne Theisen Won The HJ With 5-11-1/2
*Brett Larner Looks At Japanese Weekend Results: Suguru Osako (27:38.31) And Yuki Sato (27:39.50) Go 2-3 And Come Up Just Short Of 27:35.09 NR At Payton Jordan Elsewhere at Oda Memorial Meet in Hiroshima, Kenya's Paul Tanui won the 5k in 13:16.57 as Martin Mathathi was 6th (13:41.80) and Yuki Kawauchi 18th (14:09.88).
LRC Women's Results And Flash Recap The good news is Jordan Hasay is now one of the 5 fastest collegians in history. The bad news is she missed the "A" and "B" standards. The breakthrough of the night came from Jamie Cheever, who went from 9:51 to 9:29 in the steeple.
*MileSplit Weekend HS Coverage: At Payton Jordan, Elise Cranny Finished 3rd, Running The 3rd Fastest All-Time HS 1,500 At 4:15.07 The time is only behind the 4:10.77 by Mary Cain at Drake and Jordan Hasay's 4:14.50.
Stanford On The Message Boards:
MB: Official Payton Jordan Updates Thread
MB: WEBB IS BACK, BABY, 13:37
MB: JORDAN HASAY: 32:06 UO/PAC 12 #1 ALL TIME, NO. 4 NCAA ALL TIME - WOW
MB: #3 AT HS 1500m-Elise Cranny at Payton Jordan
MB: Olympic Triathlon Champion Brownlee runs 28:32 for 10k at Stanford
MB: Alistair Brownlee running Stanford 10K
MB: Twin Robertsons
The Virgin London Marathon - The World's Most Competitive *Top Results LRC: Photo Gallery
Women's Race: LRC Priscah Jeptoo Finishes First In Women's London Marathon Marred By Wheelchair Collision Jeptoo was very
over the second half, but the race was marred by the fact that Olympic champ Tiki Gelana was wiped out from behind in a horrific collision with a wheelchair racer.
*Top Results LRC: Photo Gallery
More London: *Video Of Wheelchair Collision
Good News: Wheelchair Racers May Start Before Professional Women Next Year
*Josh Cassidy (Wheelchair Racer Who Hit Gelana): "One of these years a woman is going to have a leg broken, a career ruined."
*London Honors The Victims In Boston
*Some Are Selling Boston Memorabilia On EBay And Giving Proceeds To Charity
Recommended Read: Paula Radcliffe And Her Husband Reflect On Her 2:15:25 Marathon WR, Which She Ran At London 10 Years Ago
Two Recommended Reads
Recommended Read: Religion Blog: What Truths Does Iconic Image Of Boston Marathon Truly Capture? "Just as Jews pray to celebrate Passover 'next year in Jerusalem' and Muslims pledge to visit Mecca, marathoners want to 'run
*More Boston: Runners Start An Online Petition To Grant A Spot In The 2014 Boston Marathon To The 5,700 Runners Who Were Stopped Before They Could Finish More than 21,000 have signed; the BAA say they haven't made a decision yet.
RR#2: John Mayer: Western State's Ian Butler On Remarkable Run In Life's Goal To Succeed The D2 All-American suffered two brain injuries as a kid and has had people tell him he's retarded and the memory of a goldfish. Hanging out with the wrong crowd in 9th grade, he's now of track to be a college grad.
LRC The #1 Recruit In The Land Signs With ... New Mexico? The #1 recruit in the land has decided where he'll be running next year and coach Joe Franklin is a very happy man as a result. Whom do we consider to be the top recruit???
The Week That Was - Our Weekly Recap
LRC Mary Cain And Tyson Gay Are Fast, Pat Casey's Undefeated, Cory Leslie Gets The "A," David Rudisha Doesn't Run Very Much And Paula Radcliffe Leads The Anti-Doping Fight This week, we show you a breathtaking video of Mary Cain, annoint Pat Casey as the NCAA mile favorite, praise Paula Radcliffe for leading the anti-doping fight, talk about David Rudisha's mileage, praise Tyson Gay, unearth a 12-year-old video of Matt Tegenkamp dusting Dathan Ritzenhein and wonder why the Big 12 sucks so much at the 800.
UK Professor Talks About The Decline In Performance And Physical Fitness With Age And How It Can Be Mitigated With Continued Exercise "An active 50-year-old can have a similar aerobic capacity to a sedentary 30-year-old."
One We Missed From The Weekend: Lukas Verzbicas Ran A 14:53 5,000 After 4:11 1,500 At Occidental Meet We mentioned the 4:11 1,500, but according to the schedule, the 5k was later that night - about 6 hours later. The 5k is obviously a much better result, especially considering last month he only ran 15:22 at Carlsbad.
Think The Sub-2-Hour Marathon Is On The Horizon? Think Again
LRC The Myth Of The Sub-2-Hour Marathon The mainstream media thinks it may be close but in reality most people reading this will be dead when it happens.
*Science of Sport's Ross Tucker agrees: Pacing, fatigue and the brain. Lessons from London.
*Jason Henderson Of Athletics Weekly Disagrees: Why the two-hour marathon is possible
*MB: Sub 2 Hour Marathon Discussion: My Thoughts and Yours
- Turkish Athletics Federation Suggests That Sprinter Nevin Yanıt's Positive Test Was The Result Of An Energy Drink His case in her defense: "It is not rational that a two-time European champion and an Olympic fifth should use a banned substance before an event that has no importance."
- After Being Cleared, Comrades Marathon Champ Ludwick Mambolo Calls For More "Education" For Athletes On Proper Post-Race Doping Procedures
"Mr Tyson Gay Is Back In Business"
US Track Friday: Oregon Twilight *Oregon Results *Oregon Twilight Photos *More Photos
Oregon Twilight: *Results
Recap: Rupp Switches From 800 To 3k & Defeats Ritz In 7:46, Centro Wins 800, And NAIA Star Hillary Holt Pulls Huge Upset In 1,500 Ken Goe of the Oregonian with recap of the meet, which saw Rupp switch events due to hamstring tightness. The big surprise was Hillary Holt lowering her PR by 7 seconds in the 1,500 and winning.
*University Of Portland Steeplechaser Jared Bassett Disappointed The Competitive Field Was Hurt By Withdraws He ran 8:57, winning by 13 seconds.
*Photos *More Oregon Twilight Photos
*On The Boards: Galen Rupp Moved To 3k Due To Hamstring Tightness, Wins In 7:46 With Ritz 2nd In 7:47
*MB: MB: Rupp running 3000 tonight at Oregon Twilight and not the 800
MB: Galen Rupp Has NO CHANCE Of Breaking 7:35
MB: HS Ben Saarel Runs 8:49 3,200 at 4,500 Feet of Altitude
It's Official: Olympic 1,500 Champ Asli Cakir Alptekin Charged With Doping Nevin Yanit, who was 5th in 100H final, also was charged.
- More Doping News: 240 Track Athletes From 52 Countries Are Currently Serving Doping Bans: India, Russia, Kenya, The US And UK Make Up the Top 5 (Big Gap In Numbers) UK news source The Independent reveals how little they know about US distance running as they refer to Dathan Ritzenhein as a "relatively unknown long-distance runner, and in a previous article confused him with Galen Rupp, saying Rupp ran a 2:07 marathon. Maybe they just don't know Ritz?
- Star Irish Hurdler Derval O'Rourke To Be Upgraded To European 100H Bronze After Turkey's Nevin Yanit Was Charged With Doping
- British Cycling Gold Medalist Calls For UK IOC Members To Vote Against Madrid's Bid To Host 2020 Olympics Because Of Operacion Puerto Court Scandal
- Now That He's Been Cleared Of Doping, Comrades Marathon Winner Ludwick Mamabolo Will Receive Trophy & Winners Check 11 Months Later
What Americans Can Go To Worlds?
- LRC 2013 Moscow World Track And Field Championships - Men's American "A" And "B" Qualifiers
- LRC 2013 Moscow World Track And Field Championships - Women's American "A" And "B" Qualifiers
Blue Collar / Inspirational Runner Of The Week
LRC Meet Conner Paez: "Please don't cut off my leg. Please just don't amputate my leg. I can't lose my leg. I need to run." Two years ago, Conner Paez was on top of the world as a freshman at the University of Pennsylvania (8:16, 14:18). Then his life turned in a second as he was broadsided by a car while on his motor bike. The injuries were bad, very bad. He almost lost his leg, then some toes. Doctors told him he'd never compete again. What's he doing this weekend? Competing again.
Prince Harry And Richard Branson In London
Learn From The Pros
LRC Ten Training Tips From Bernard Lagat, Dathan Ritzenhein And Abdi Abdirahman The American men took center stage at the NYC Half on Thursday. You can watch video interviews with the top American men (Lagat here, Ritz here and Abdi here) and we will have more on their race preparations on Friday, but in the meantime we compiled ten training tips from Bernard, Dathan, and Abdi that you can use in your own training.