2 Reviews & Book Excerpt From John McDonnell: The Most Successful NCAA Coach In History
LRC Book Review by Former Hog Marlon Boykins: "Two Thumbs Up:" - "The
book is full of insight into the hard-working, team-first ethos that
made us such a successful." We had two people review the book including the 1:47 man Boykins who was at Arkansas at the pinnacle of its heyday. "It was a self-contained UBER-COMPETITIVE atmosphere….the sprinters, jumpers and distance guys all trying to show which group reigned supreme..."
Book Excerpt The Legendary Story Of The 1989 Penn Relays DMR, Where 4 Kids From Arkansas, Texas And Missouri Beat 4 African Olympians And The Olympic 1,500m Champ The 1989 Mt. St Mary's Penn Relays DMR team featured 4 African Olympians, including Olympic 1,500m champ Peter Rono. John McDonnell's Arkansas squad featured 4 kids from Texas, Missouri and Arkansas. A legendary motivational speech by McDonnell and Joe Falcon on the anchor made for one of the great upsets in Penn Relays history. Read all about it in this excerpt from the new John McDonnell biography
LRC Review #2 John McDonnell D2 coach Terry Olson We had Olson who has an MFA in creating writing to give his take. "It’s got a lot to offer anyone interested in an incredibly sustained passion for the both the sport and the profession"
Countries Start To Name Their Marathon Squads For 2013 World Champs
- Kenya: Athletics Kenya Names World Champs Marathon Squad "Shortlist" Of 20 Athletes (10 Men, 10 Women) At first glance you might think "narrowing" the list down to 20 is absolutely useless, however that leaves WR holder Patrick Makau and 2:03 man Geoffrey Mutai off the list. Those making the cut include defending World champions Abel Kirui and Edna Kiplagat as well as Boston/London champs Rita Jeptoo and Priscah Jeptoo and Eliud Kipchoge (2:05:30 debut at Hamburg last weekend).
- Japan: Japan Announces Marathon Squad For 2013 Moscow World Championships: 5 Men And 3 Women Yuki Kawauchi is among the 5 men selected.
- MB: How does the US determine who goes to Worlds for the Marathon?
*US only sending three to World Champs in marathon?
Boston Charity Updates *One Fund Boston Site
- One Fund Boston Has Raised More Than $20 Million For Boston Marathon Bombing Victims
- Saucony Donating 100% Of Sales Of “#BostonStrong Lace Medallions” To Benefit Boston Marathon Victims And Families
- Florida High School Senior And His 13-Year Old Quadruple Amputee Brother Trying To Raise $1 Million For Boston Marathon Amputees Their site has been live for 2 days and they've raised $13,000.
- New Balance Makes $1 Million Donation to The One Fund Boston
Also Boston Related: Utah Man Arrested For Making Joke "Bomb Threat" To Sale Lake City Marathon
US Road Mile Championships Were Yesterday *Results/Full Race Videos
Garrett Heath And Kate Grace Win US Road Mile Championships As 1,500 Medallists Manzano And Rowbury Struggle Heath won with 4:02.79 over Jeff See (4:02.91), Leo Manzano (4:03.59) and Craig Miller (4:03.60); Miles Batty was 6th (4:04.53). Grace won with 4:43.02,
outkicking Sara Hall (4:43.61) and defending champ Heather Kampf (4:43.69). Shannon Rowbury was back in 6th (4:45.39).
*Post-Race Video Interviews
Assorted Marathon News
- Good Read: The Guardian Looks Back At Brit Steve Jones' Career & 1985 London Marathon Victory Where He Set The CR, Even Taking The Time To Stop For A Bathroom Break He was in a duel with Spedding, but dropped behind when he took his "pit stop," but still came back to win in 2:08:16.
- Mo Farah's Thoughts After Going Halfway In London: "I was thinking, are they going to keep this pace going on?"
- Father To Run Marathon Blindfolded To Honor His Vision-Impaired Daughter And Raise Money For Charity
- Paris Marathon Generated 4.7 KWH Of Clean Energy By Having Runners Run Over Energy-Capturing Tiles About enough to power a laptop for 52 hours.
- Susan Partridge And Sonia Samuels Chosen To UK World Champs Marathon Squad Partridge ran a three-minute PR of 2:30:46 at London to get the Worlds "A" standard.
- UK Singer Katherine Jenkins Criticized For Running The London Marathon Looking "Flawless"
- NYC Marathon Registration Opens Today
- Cops Promise Big Presence For Nashville Marathon This Saturday
We Celebrate The 2013 Boston Marathon's Pro Race A Week After The Fact *Top 25 Results *Boston Photos *Boston Pre-Race Photos
Women's Race Recap & Analysis
LRC The Seven-Year Itch Is Met: Rita Jeptoo Closes Hard To Win Her Second Title Hometown favorite Shalane Flanagan closed hard but not fast enough to give the US its first win since 1985.
LRC Shalane Flanagan And Kara Goucher On The Beauty And Emotion Of The Boston Marathon Even before the bombings, emotions were running high for Goucher and Flanagan. We talk about their tears, the pro-American crowd and media, the incredile Joan Benoit Samuelson and even what Kara and Shalane do when there isn't time to go to the Porta Potty but a race you've trained a lifetime for is about to start.
Boston Bombing News
- Lauren Fleshman Talks About Being At The Boston Marathon During The Attacks "I think this has sent a powerful message about how marathons can mobilize people. Marathoners care about each other on a deeper level. It's something I've always suspected about the running community. Now there is hard evidence."
- 3 May Marathons In Pittsburgh, Cincinnati & Cleveland Joining Together To Raise Money For Boston Marathon Bombing Victims
- Massachusetts Observed A State Wide Moment Of Silence Yesterday At 2:50PM, Exactly One Week After The Boston Marathon Bombings
- Spanish Authorities Increase Security At Sunday's Madrid Marathon With 1,000 Police
- RW Interview With Stacy Shaw, One Of The Last Finishers Before The Bombs Went Off At The Boston Marathon
Pre Classic Will Feature Women's 400H With Olympic Champ Natalya Antyukh And World Champ (London Silver) Lashinda Demus Also in the field is the 2012 bronze medalist Zuzana Hejnova and the woman ranked #1 in 2012 by T&F News, Kaliese Spencer.
Running USA Releases National Survey Results On Demographics/Stats Of "Core Runners" Some interesting stats, including motivation for running and most popular race distance (half marathon).
The Virgin London Marathon - The World's Most Competitive - Was Sunday *Top Results LRC: Photo Gallery
Women's Race: LRC Priscah Jeptoo Finishes First In Women's London Marathon Marred By Wheelchair Collision Jeptoo was very
over the second half, but the race was marred by the fact that Olympic champ Tiki Gelana was wiped out from behind in a horrific collision with a wheelchair racer.
*Top Results LRC: Photo Gallery
More London: *Video Of Wheelchair Collision
Good News: Wheelchair Racers May Start Before Professional Women Next Year
*Josh Cassidy (Wheelchair Racer Who Hit Gelana): "One of these years a woman is going to have a leg broken, a career ruined."
*London Honors The Victims In Boston
*Some Are Selling Boston Memorabilia On EBay And Giving Proceeds To Charity
Recommended Read: Paula Radcliffe And Her Husband Reflect On Her 2:15:25 Marathon WR, Which She Ran At London 10 Years Ago Her physio at the time, Gerard Hartmann, says she has the highest pain tolerance of anyone he'd ever worked with. "She would hurt me rather than me hurt her. She would actually break me down because I'd have to go so deep into the sinews, I would have to ice my thumbs afterwards I was in such pain."
- Kansas Relays: *Full Results *Corey Leslie Runs Away Early From Leo Manzano, Nick Symmonds, Lee Emanuel In Mile
Leslie ran 3:58.18 to Manzano's 4:00.13 and Symmonds' 4:00.21. Emanuel was 4th (4:01.98); AJ Acosta was 9th (4:11.73). Leslie also won the Blue Shoes Mile earlier this month.
*Article On Nick Symmonds And Beer Mile WR And Sponsorship
*Olympic Silver Medalist Michael Tinsley Wins 400H In World-Leading 48.77 At Kansas Relays 2005 world champ Bershawn Jackson was back in 5th (51.22).
*Kansas Meet Recap
- Steve Cram Talks About Paula Radcliffe's WR: "From a purely running perspective, that was the best performance I've ever commentated on."
- Paula Radcliffe Warns Mo Farah About Not Wasting His Peak Years And Waiting Too Long For The Full Marathon "Being in that shape does have a short window ... When you're there you think it's going to last forever, you think you're just unbeatable. ... That only does last for a small window of time."
- The London Marathon Will Be The First Race Since 2011 Mo Farah Has Entered And Not Won Farah: "As an athlete, it is always hard not to try to win. But I haven't done the training and my body won't allow me to do that. I would probably get dropped."
- Farah Says He'll Have To Get Used To The Pain Of The Marathon "I'm all right dealing with pain, but it's different pain. Being a track runner to a marathon runner is completely different."
- London Marathon Adds 40% More Police Force For Extra Security
- Doctors Warn Over Taking Pre-Race Painkillers Which Can Lead To Serious Side Effects Such As Stomach Bleeding
More Boston News
- MB: Terrorist KILLS his brother according to police chief
- Usain Bolt's Irish Manager, Ricky Simms, Was Less Than 100 Yards From Boston Bomb Explosion
- Authorities Say They Took A Gamble By Releasing Suspects' Photos To The Public, But Say That Forced Them To Move And Led To Their Capture Article looks at how they analyzed tons of photos and video from the race. There is also a quote on an interaction with someone who talked to them the day after the bombing before they fled.
- AP: "For Bombing Suspects, Question May Be Who Led Whom" Includes quotes from a lot of family/friends who knew them.
- The Boston Finish Line: Witness Talk About What The Bombing Was Like
Bolt Will Definitely Be At London Anniversary Games
- It's Official: Usain Bolt Will Compete At London Anniversary Games At The Olympic Stadium In July; 100 On Day 1 And 4 X 100 On Day 2 Others competing include Mo Farah in the 3,000, Galen Rupp and Leo Manzano in the "Emsley Carr Mile," Aries Merritt, Sally Pearson, Kirani James, Sanya Richards-Ross vs. British silver medallist Christine Ohuruogu in the 300, Jessica Ennis and more. *Telegraph Article
- Ricky Simms Talks About What It's Like To Manage The Sport's Biggest Star Simms: "We do a lot of things for Usain and other clients that are not simple business things. Like buying flights, buying cars, PlayStations, tuxedos, whatever. One hour I'll be doing management work for him, one hour I'll be doing agent work for him. Another time I'll be doing big brother work for him."
- Oscar P Not Welcome At London Anniversary Games UK Athletics chairman Ed Warner: "I don't want to see the Sunday of the Anniversary Games turning into a media circus. It would overshadow every other athlete that was there."
*Good Read: South African National Championships Came And Went Without Oscar Pistorius "Where does Pistorius the athlete go from here? Where does he end up? And does he matter anymore?"
Yohan Blake Out For Up To 6 Weeks With Hamstring Injury The injury occurred during the UTech Classic meet where Blake DNFed, grabbing his right hamstring.
The 117th Boston Marathon *Top 25 Results *Boston Photos *Boston Pre-Race Photos
LRC Top 25 Boston Results: Rita Jeptoo And Lelisa Desisa Win The action was exciting as Portugal's Anna Dulce Felix was reeled in after having a 1+ minute lead at 35k. The men's race ended up being a 3-way sprint
for home between
debutante Micah Kogo, and Desisa. Shalane Flanagan and Jason Hartmann led the American
charge with 4th-place finishes. The American men, thanks to Daniel Tapia and Craig Leon, place 3 in the top 10!
- LRC We Covered It Live With 2 Different Blogs:
*Live Boston Message Board Thread
- IAAF Recap
- Competitor Women's Recap: Some Interesting Quotes From The Chase Pack As Anna Dulce Felix Gapped Them Eventual 3rd placer Sharon Cherop on what she said to countrywoman/eventual winner Rita Jeptoo: "Let us move forward. These ladies may end up winning the race. They have already gone far. I was so worried," Jeptoo replied, "I'm not going now." *Men's Recap
- AP Recap Flanagan: "The hardest part about Boston is the Bostonians want it just as bad as we do, which really tugs at our heart. We all want it too. We want to be the next Joanie." *2nd AP Article
Boston On The Boards:
- Lesisa Desisa Wins Boston 3 Months After Winning Dubai (And $200,000)
- Jason Hartmann deserves more respect
- Why was Boston so slow?
- Joan Benoit Samuelson - new Masters World Record?!
- You know it had to be asked: how would a healthy Ryan Hall done in today's Boston Marathon?
- I would rather be a mediocre runner and look muscular than win the Boston marathon and look like a skeleton
- Daniel Tapia!!! Couldn't Break 10 for 2 Mile in HS, 9th at Boston!!!
- Live Boston Message Board Thread
Penn, Drake And Payton Jordan Are This Weekend *Penn: *Meet Site *Schedule *Drake: *Meet Info *Schedule/Entries *Viewing Info (Live on ESPN 3 Friday 7:30-9:00PM ET) *Payton Jordan: *Entries & Meet Schedule
- Penn: World 800 Bronze Medallist Janeth Jepkosgei Leads Kenyan 4x8 For Penn Relays Also on the team are former Olympic 1,500 meters champ Nancy Lagat, World Indoor 3k champ Hellen Obiri,
and Winnie Chebet.
- Olympic 400 Silver Medalist Christine Ohuruogu Leads GB 4x4 Squad For Penn Relays Eilidh Child, Shana Cox and Perri Shakes-Drayton make up the other 3. GB will also send teams in the women's 4x800 and men's 4x100, DMR and 4x400.
- USATF Preview Of "US Vs. The World" At Penn Relays This Weekend US DMR relay pool includes Bernard Lagat, Nick Symmonds, Duane Solomon, Andrew Wheating and Erik Sowinski. Will be broadcast live on NBC from 1-3 p.m. ET. Meet is also on Universal Sports from 3-5 p.m. ET.
- DyeStat Penn Relays Preview: 11 Top Prep Storylines
- MileSplit Prep Penn Relays Preview
- Carmelita Jeter Pulls Out Of Penn Relays And Doha DL With Injury After Pulling Up And Finishing Last At Mt. SAC 100
- Drake: AP Looks At Some Of The "London Rematches" At Drake Relays Will include the 110 hurdles (Aries Merritt, Jason Richardson, Hansle Parchment), the 100H (Lolo Jones, Dawn Harper, Kellie Wells) as well as most of the top pole vaulters from the London Olympics including champs Jenn Suhr and Renaud Lavillenie
- Live On ESPN3: Drake Relays Will Have Live Streaming On ESPN3 On Friday From 7:30-9:00PM ET It will also be broadcast on ESPN 2 on Saturday from 8:00-9:30 p.m. ET.
- RW Q&A With Morgan Uceny After Her Season Opener At Mt. SAC, Where She Ran 2:05.50 In The 800 She'll be in the 1,500 at Drake Relays this weekend. She talks a bit about training in Kenya this winter, training/racing plans and her new life in the UK.
- When Will Mary Cain Start Her Outdoor Season?
- Athletes Will Go Where The Money Goes: Drake Relays Meet Director Brian Brown Talks About How Their New Sponsorship With Supermarket Chain Hy-Vee Let Them Offer The Huge Prize Money To Pull Olympic Quality Fields On this year versus previous years, he said, "I had been the one pursuing, (but) athletes were the ones pursuing (me), saying, 'I want to come.' It was one of those situations where you knew the tables had turned. It was
to be in that position."
- Payton Jordan: *Entries & Meet Schedule *Webb & Solinsky Running Stanford 5k On 28th
- Roads: IAAF Preview Of 100k IAU European Championships In Belves, France On April 27th
- Oregonian's Ken Goe Follows Along And Describes A Long Workout Day With Galen Rupp And Mo Farah (Includes Video) 5 hour day including speed work, gait analysis, and core/weight room training.
- Pre Classic Steeplechase Will Feature All 3 London Medalists With Ezekiel Kemboi, Mahiedine Benabbad And Abel Mutai Also in the field is 7:54 man Paul Koech, World Junior champ Conseslus Kipruto, Evan Jager and Donn Cabral.
- Running Banned At Three Oregon Wildlife Refuges Because It Could "Stress" The Animals However, hiking and deer hunting are still allowed. So you can kill the animals, just don't spook them.
- US Government Sues Lance Armstrong For Defrauding Sponsorship By Doping
- Erik Kynard Named USATF Athlete Of The Week For His WLing 2.34 HJ Win At Mt. Sac
Other Track News
- Florida Men, Texas A&M Women Take Command Of D1 National Rankings
- Today's Selflessness Act: UNH Thrower Ends Career To Donate Bone Marrow To A Stranger
- Super Coach Dan Pfaff Named As Head Coach At World Athletics Center In Phoenix, AZ Athletes re-locating to Phoenix to work with Pfaff include Greg Rutherford, Steve Hooker, Brad Walker, Holly Bleasdale and Steve Lewis.
- Ken Goe: "On The Beauty And The Dearth Of College Dual Meets" The dual meet between Oregon and Arkansas men this past weekend was great, but duels like that won't work everywhere.
- Athletics Kenya Sues Youths Ministry For Interfering/Stopping Their Elections
- Oregonian Photo Essay: "A Day Of Training With Galen Rupp And Mo Farah"
- Yohan Blake (200) And World XC Champ Japhet Korir (5,000) Announced For September 6th Brussels Diamond League Meet
- Random: Artist Sculpts Usain Bolt Figure From Conch Shell
- Asics Resigns Sponsorship Deal With Lolo Jones
We Celebrate The 2013 Boston Marathon's Pro Race A Week After The Fact *Top 25 Results *Boston Photos *Boston Pre-Race Photos
Men's Race Recap & Analysis
LRC 2013 Boston Marathon Men's Race: Lelisa Desisa Wins 3-Way Kick For Title And Remains Undefeated At The 26.2 Distance The race ended up being a fan and promoter's dream - a 3-way kick between 3 big names for the title. Since the local CBS station went to commercial, we hype up the finish for you and ask if marathoning has a new #1 in Desisa. John Kellogg explains to you why the times were slow (2:10:22 FTW) and we point out how the slowest guy won the kick and just how special our predictions were. Plus Jason Hartmann (4th), Daniel Tapia (9th), Craig Leon (10th) and Rob Watson (11th) meant four North Americans in the top 11.
LRC Long-Time Track And Field Official Tommy Meagher Reacts Heroically To Boston Marathon Bombings Many of you certainly recognize Meagher - who in many ways is the "face" of running in New England. He passed the guts test with flying colors.
LRC LetsRun.com Visitor Will Brown Talks About The 2013 Boston Marathon Terrorist Attacks The 60-year-old marathoner was just 2.5 blocks away and says "it was the biggest sound" he'd ever heard - so loud he "thought it was possibly a plane crash."
More Post London News
- Video Of Mo Farah At London Press Conference: Says He Learned A Lot Running The First Half He thinks he's capable of running anywhere from 2:09 to under the British record (2:07:13 by Steve Jones in 1985), but says, "Who knows?"
- Farah Woke Up Late And Almost Missed Bus And Had To Stop And Go Back For One Of His Drinks During London
- *Video Interview With Farah: Says A Big Challenge For Him Was Picking Up His Drinks (He Missed One And Dropped One)
- Athletics Kenya Disappointed With Their Men's Performances At London And Boston They met yesterday to discuss selection for Moscow World Champs.
- UK Paper Talks About Mo Farah Emulating Lasse Viren By Winning The 5,000/10,000 Again At Rio And Also Running The Marathon No way this happens. The article further killed their credibility by saying Galen Rupp has a 2:07 marathon PR (Farah was talking about Ritz).
- Irvette van Zyl Unsure If She'll Run Worlds After 2:31:26 In London (link fixed)
- Scottish Athletes Do Well Over The Weekend As 7 Hit The Standards For The Commonwealth Games (Which Will Be In Glasgow In 2014) Susan Partridge ran 2:30:46 for 9th in London.
- Virgin Money Signs On As London Marathon Sponsor Through 2017
The Virgin London Marathon *Top Results
Men's Race LRC Marathon Gods 1, Distance Runners 0:
World And Course Record Attempts Disintegrated As Everyone Bonked After A Crazy-Fast First Half The totally loaded men's field tried to live up to hype as they went out on WR pace, but in the end it proved to be a destructive pace.
Course record holder Emmanuel Mutai had a 28-second lead at 40km but ended up losing by 29 seconds as three different people had the lead in the last 4 miles. In the end, Ethiopia's Tsegaye Kebede was the winner.
LRC: What Happened to World Record Patrick Makau? He Didn't Stay With Leaders for 10k
*MB: Imagine if a in-form Ryan Hall had run London this year...
LRC: Photo Gallery
More London Men: *Side Stitch May Have Helped Kebede Come From Behind To Victory Independent
*Mo Farah Will Run Full London Marathon In 2014
*Editorial: Half A Mo Better Than No Mo Telegraph
Hamburg: 2003 5,000 World Champ Eliud Kipchoge Wins Debut In 2:05:30 The fastest marathon of the weekend.
*MB: HAMBURG MARATHON LIVE - ELIUD KIPCHOGE DEBUT
Weekend Track Action *Mt. SAC Saturday Results *Thursday/Friday *All College Weekend Meet Info/Results
- Mt. SAC: IAAF Recap: Erik Kynard World-Leading HJ Win Over Jesse Williams, English Gardner 11.00 Hundread As Jeter Pulls Up
*Mt. SAC Saturday: Duane Solomon Wins 800 In 1:46 Over Eric Sowinski (1:46.05) As Cas Loxom Is 5th (1:46.77) Ashton Eaton won his 200 heat in 20.76 and was 3rd in the 110 hurdles (13.37), beating World champion Jason Richardson (4th in 13.39). In the 800, Oregon's Laura Roesler won in 2:01.75 as Morgan Uceny was last in 2:05.50. *Mt. SAC Saturday Results
*World-Leading Sprints Around The US: US's Mike Rodgers Sets (Wind Legal) 100m World Lead With 10.04 At Mt. SAC Relays, Beating Out Ryan Bailey (10.18) Nigeria's Blessing Okagbare ran WLing 200 (22.31). Elsewhere, in Louisiana, Aries Merritt won the 110m hurdles in 13.37, Jamaican Natoya Goule won the 800 in WLing 2:00.76, in Florida, Tyson Gay ran 45.95 in the 400 to finish 2nd to Tony McQuay (45.88), Justin Gatlin won the 100m in 10.06 and in Texas, Jeremy Wariner raced his first 400m of the season in 45.72 to finish runner-up to David Verburg (45.56).
*Oregon's English Gardner Runs World-Leading 100 In 11.00 Her time was a school record, No. 2 all-time in PAC-12 history and No. 6 all-time in NCAA history.
*Erik Kynard Clears WLing 2.34 meters Elsewhere, IU's Derek Drouin jumped 2.31, which would have been the WL. Jesse Williams also jumped 2.31m this weekend.
- Thursday/Friday Results: Brenda Martinez 4:04, Ben True / Patrick Casey 3:40, Will Leer 13:21, Abbey D'Agostino 15:11, Shalaya Kipp 9:52 Steeple True had the fastest 1,500 of the day with 3:40.07, beating out Casey's 3:40.27 from heat 1.
Behind Casey, 6 more were sub-3:42.
*Brenda Martinez Set The 1,500 World Lead And Crushed A 20-Year-Old Meet Record At Mt. SAC "This year my training's been a lot different. I actually believe in the strength I have under me. I never put this kind of work in, so I knew I wasn't going to die off."
*Diego Estrada Ran "Out Of His Comfort Zone" To Close With A Fast Last Lap And PR In Mt. SAC 1,500 He was 7th place in 3:41.90.
*OTB: Abbey D 15:11.35 at Mt. Sac!!
*Will Leer!! 13:21 5k!!! gotta love the guy!
*Holy smokes!!! Brenda Martinez 404 1500 @ Mt. Sac!!!
*Laura Hollander Back!!!
- Oregon Relays: *Live Results *Photos *Register-Guard: Arkansas Men Nip Oregon In Dual Meet's Final Event To Win The Meet The Razorbacks' Akheem Gauntlett held off Oregon's Mike Berry to win the 4 x 4 in 3:07.14 to 3:07.39 and the meet 86 to 77. Elijah Greer won the 800 in 1:46.20 and Mac Fleet did the same in the 1,500 at 3:40.21.
*Ken Goe Recaps Distance Action At Oregon Relays: Julia Lucas Wins The 1,500 (4:16); Andrew Wheating Wins The 800 (1:49) Hassan Mead won the 1,500 (3:41.03), Japan's Tsuyoshi Ugachi won the 5k over Ben Blankenship in 13:56.95 as Oregon's Parker Stinson was 3rd (13:59.83). Jordan Hasay and Bridget Franek ran the 5,000 together as a controlled effort in 16:01.
*Andrew Wheating Says The Focus Will Be On The 800 This Year, Though The 1,500 Isn't Off The Table "The 1,500 is one of those puzzles I haven't cracked yet. I'm not giving up, but the 800 was my bread and butter my senior year (at Oregon), and I'm going back to what I know best."
- Other NCAA/HS: Robby Andrews Wins Princeton Larry Ellis Invite 800 In 1:48.18
*ACC Champs: Florida State Men, Clemson Women Win
*8:46 HSer: Sean McGorty Runs Solo 8:46.07 3,200 At VA Meet
*MileSplit Weekend HS Coverage: Ben Saarel Wins Mt. SAC Relays Mile In 4:08.55
*DyeStat Oregon Relays Coverage/Live Results
- Kenya In Kenya: Recap Of Fifth NBK/AK Athletics Weekend Meeting In Mombasa County
*Kenya's World Youth Steeplechase Champ Norah Jeruto Wins At Kenya Secondary Schools Champs With A 10:11
RIP Sean Collier *One Fund Boston Charity
- RIP: Sean Collier MIT Cop Murdered By Boston Bombers Collier was a great guy according to media accounts and died protecting us all. His roommate said it best: "The best
guy got shot
down by the biggest scumbags."
*More From MIT
- Other Boston News: One Suspect Dead, Other Captured, In Boston Marathon Bombing Case
- OTB: Suspect's Uncle Gives Press Conference. Real AmericanV is 19 years old
*Why rob a 711 before you go to MIT with a bag of bombs?
*Suspect #2s dad says whole thing is 'inside job' and 'Hell Will Break Loose' if son is killed
- Boston Finisher Medals Going For Over $500 On Ebay The president of the medal company called it "pretty disgusting."
*Discuss *Listing Going For $685 *Other Listings
The Horror In Boston *Video Of Explosion *CNN Photos (Warning: Some Intense Images) *Boston Race Photos
- LRC LetsRun.com Message Board Gets Credit For Helping Make Clearest Photo Of Boston Marathon Suspect Go Viral
- Daily Mail: How Internet sleuths found crucial marathon picture first
- NY Times: "One posted it in a running forum, from where it went viral."
- UK "Quadruple-Checking" London Marathon Security
- Boston Blasts Remind Ugandans Of 2010 Twin Blasts That Killed 74 At Rugby Match
- Former 'Nova Star & 1996 US Olympian Vicki Huber Rudawsky Writes About Boston And Atlanta Bombings
- London Planning Many Tributes To Boston, Including 3 Moments Of Silence
- Kenneth Feinberg, The Attorney Who Oversaw Compensation Funds For Victims Of The September 11 Attacks, Will Head Out Giving One Fund Money
- Amby Burfoot, Boston 72 Hours Later
May 12th: Prague Marathon Preview: 2:05 Man Albert Matebor Is The Favorite Over Mariko Kipchumba (2:06:05), Benjamin Kiptoo (2:06:31) & Philemon Limo Women's favorite is Lydia Cheromei (2:21:30 from last year in Dubai) who faces Caroline Rotich, Koren Jelela (2:22:43) and Ehitu Kiros (2:23:39).
- IAAF To Set Up A Blood Testing Center In Eldoret, Kenya Which Should Be Established In The Next 3 Months Also looking at putting one in Eldoret or Nairobi.
- Athletics Kenya And Department Of Sport Agree To Start AK Polls On April 30
Recommended Read: IAAF Profile On Ethiopia's World Junior XC Champ Hagos Gebrhiwet, Who Is Being Referred To By Some As "The Next Kenenisa Bekele" The 12:47 5,000 man had a more difficult than usual East African "rags to riches" story as he had lost both this father and mother by the time he was 13 and actually quit running and school at one point to do farm work to provide for his 5 younger siblings.
UKers Will Get To Run In The Olympic Stadium
- 5 Mile Road Race Will Finish Inside Olympic Stadium On July 21st As The First Event In The Stadium Since The Games
- Mo Farah Video Interview Talking About Public Fun Run And This Summer's Anniversary Games
From Last Weekend: Paul Kimugul (29:04) And Natasha Fraser (32:42) Get Comfortable Wins At Vancouver Sun Run 10k US's Ian Burrell was 2nd in 29:17 and Donn Cabral was a distant fifth at 29:49. *Full Results
- Russian Hammer Thrower Alisher Eshbekov Gets 2-Year Doping Ban Anyone been keeping a tally? We've lost count.
- Italy Gives Former Race Walk Olympic Champ Alex Schwazer A 3-And-A-Half Year Ban He was excluded from the London Olympics after testing positive for EPO before the Games.
Questions On The Boards
- Best comment you've ever gotten while running?
- Would you run for a foreign country in the Olympics if you had the B standard?
- 2:20 Marathon: How Much Talent Required?
- If Mo had stayed in, he would have won the London Marathon?
- Can Rupp go sub 2:05 in the marathon?
Eventually, They Get Caught Did USADA Waste Its Time?
MB: 2004 Olympic 200 Champ Shawn Crawford Gets 2-Year Doping Ban It's not a surprise that Crawford, who worked with Trevor Graham but was never busted, is now out for 2 years for missing 3 drug tests. However, Crawford supposedly retired last year. Crawford should have notified USADA so as not to blemish his record and then USADA wouldn't have to waste its resources on this. *WADA Statement *More
Jamaican Sprinting News
- Asafa Powell Back In Training After Hamstring Injury; Isn't Sure If He'll Be Ready For May 4th Jamaican Invitational
- Yohan Blake And Veronica Campbell-Brown Will Headline Edmonton Track Classic In Canada On June 29th
More News From The Weekend
- Abbey D'Agostino And Erik Kynard Named USTFCCCA Athletes Of The Week D'Agostino ran 15:11 at Mt. SAC (No. 3 in-season collegiate performance all-time) while Kynard beat world champ Jesse Williams in the HJ with 2.34m.
- Louisiana State University Mid-D Runner Natoya Goule Headlines Jamaican Performances This Weekend With A 2:00.76 WLing 800
- MileSplit Interview With Ben Saarel, Who Ran 4:08.55 Over The Weekend To Win At Mt. SAC With A 54 Last Lap
- Frosh Austin Tamagno Runs 4:11.1
- More Weekend HS Results: Elise Cranny Sets Colorado Soil Record At 1,600 With 4:47.56 Courtney Corrin set the national freshman LJ record at 20-11.
- IAAF Releases 2013 World Youth Lists Top 10 (Outdoor)
Blue Collar/ Inspirational Runner Of The Week
LRC Meet Conner Paez: "Please don't cut off my leg. Please just don't amputate my leg. I can't lose my leg. I need to run." Two years ago, Conner Paez was on top of the world as a freshman at the University of Pennsylvania (8:16, 14:18). Then his life turned in a second as he was broadsided by a car while on his motor bike. The injuries were bad, very bad. He almost lost his leg, then some toes. Doctors told him he'd never compete again. What's he doing this weekend? Competing again.
Prince Harry And Richard Branson In London (Flash Gallery, More Coming)
Non-London Weekend Road Action
- Yuki Kawauchi Wins Freezing Wet Nagano Marathon In 2:14:27 He became the first Japanese man to win in the 15-year history of the race. Russia's Natalia Puchkova won the women's race in 2:30:40.
- Sunday: IAAF Yangzhou Jianzhen Half Marathon Preview: Silas Kipruto (59:39) Leads Over Kiprop Limo (59:55), Nicholas Kipkemboi (60:15) & Yakob Jarso (60:07) Women's field includes former two-time World Marathon champion Catherine Ndereba, Alice Mogire (1:09:57), Worknesh Degefa (1:07:49), Tadelech Bekele (1:09:31) and Yebrqual Melese (1:09:45).
- 2008 Olympic 5k Silver Medalist Eliud Kipchoge And Former Half Marathon World Champ Wilson Kiprop Will Go Head-To-Head At Haspa Marathon On Sunday This will be Kipchoge's debut and only Kiprop's 2nd marathon. Also included in the field are Chele Dechasa (2:06:33), Joseph Gitau (2:06:58), Lawrence Kimaiyo (2:07:01) and Limenih Getachew (2:07:39). Ukraine's Kateryna Stetsenko (2:27:51) leads for the women.
MB Haile Gebrselassie: Happy 40th Birthday!
On 40th BDay - Haile Recaps His 5 Favorite Races And His Biggest Racing Regret Haile's favorite race? The Sydney 10k. His one regret? No Olympic gold in the marathon.
*10 Of Haile's Greatest Races
2,000+ World Cross-Country Photos Now Up
Learn From The Pros
LRC Ten Training Tips From Bernard Lagat, Dathan Ritzenhein And Abdi Abdirahman The American men took center stage at the NYC Half on Thursday. You can watch video interviews with the top American men (Lagat here, Ritz here and Abdi here) and we will have more on their race preparations on Friday, but in the meantime we compiled ten training tips from Bernard, Dathan, and Abdi that you can use in your own training.