Marathon Week Is Here *Virgin London Sunday (Click Here For Viewing Info) *Boston On Monday
Recommended Read: BBC Takes An In-Depth Look At Whether And When The Sub 2-Hour Marathon Will Be Run Paula Radcliffe and Dave Bedford see it happening. A scientist says it will happen in 2028.
London: Dick Beardsley Looks Back Fondly At Winning Inaugural London Marathon He actually tied for first for his first marathon "win." Sounds like the race was his 3rd marathon of the year. Beardsley: "It's all about the money today, which I can understand because these people are professional athletes, but now the runners only go to the races where they are going to make the most money"
Boston: Joan Samuelson To Attempt To Qualify For Olympic Trials At Boston The 53-year-old American legend (1984 Olympic champ) ran 2:47:50 in Chicago in October, just missing the Olympic Trials (2:47:00). With smarter pacing, she could get it in Boston.
- Yusuf Songoka Wins Daegu Marathon In 2:08:08, Says Worlds Course Is Fast IAAF
- IAAF Council Meeting In Daegu To See Worlds Preparations IAAF
Sunday's Road Action *Rotterdam Marathon Thread
Rotterdam: Wilson Chebet Wins 2:05:26 Duel In Rotterdam Rotterdam officials had taken out insurance on the $350,000 bonus for a world record, as they know what we all should know now, the course is super fast. The world record
didn't fall, but Wilson Chebet battled with Vincent Kipruto until the final kilometer to make it 2 more guys under 2:06 in Rotterdam. Two 2:05s, however, is actually a letdown to Rotterdam, as this may be the fastest course in the world (see below). Last year, Patrick Makau won the battle with Geoffry Mutai as 2 broke 2:05, and in 2009, 2 guys ran 2:04 as well.
*Rotterdam Marathon The Fastest? Rotterdam Now Has The Top 10 Fastest Average Times Interesting stats from Ken Nakamura. The bar has officially been raised, and in our opinion, sub-2:06 is the cutoff for being a truly studly marathoner. 75 guys have gone sub-2:07, but only 24 have gone sub-2:06.
*Vincent Kipruto Now Statistically One Of The Fastest Marathoners Ever He's got only one win but 5 fast times.
Amazing: 80-Year-Old Ed Whitlock Runs 3:25:40
Paris: Priscah Jeptoo's More-Than-4-Minute PR Wins Paris (2:22:55, #2 Time Ever), Benjamin Kiptoo Wins Men's In 2:06:31
Chicago: Former NCAA XC Champ Simon Bairu Wins Bank Of America Shamrock Shuffle 8k By 17 Seconds Over High Schooler Lukas Verzbicas, Amy Yoder Begley Cruises 32,000 participants in the windy city. (Results).
*Race Press Release Check out the "quotes" by Amy and Simon after the race. No way they both said that after the race unless someone handed them a script to read from.
Milan: 80-Degree Heat Story At Milan Marathon IAAF
Ireland: Teenager Charlotte Purdue Wins SPAR Great Ireland Run Convincingly
Arcadia HS Action *Arcadia Results *More Coverage At Meet Website
- 9th Grader Sarah Baxter Runs 10:14 3,200 At Arcadia (Freshman Record Is 10:07)
- Arcadia's Ammar Moussa's 8:49.59 Gets Win On Home Track And Leads 10 Under 9
Robby Andrews To Return To Action On Saturday For UVA The sophomore phenom who defeated Andrew Wheating to win a NCAA title as a frosh will compete for UVA for the first time all year after overcoming a bout with plantar fasciitis.
More Weekend Marathons & Road Races
- Daegu: World Champs Course To Get Test Run At Daegu Intl. Marathon This Weekend 17 sub-2:10 guys will toe the line. Yeshi Esayias will defend her women's title.
*After Tsunami, Japan's Yuko Machida To Try For WChampionship Team In Daegu
- Greece: Thessaloniki Marathon Preview Teshome Gelana, who won Houston in 2010 in 2:07:37, is favored.
- Brighton: Brighton Marathon: Former Commonwealths Bronze Medallist Dan Robinson Headlines
Better Late Than Never
LRC: Week That Was: Webb & Wanjiru Out / Lel In This week we talk about Sammy Wanjiru pulling out of London and Alan Webb pulling out of Alberto Salazar's group, we give you info on the hottest sensation on the roads, Lelisa Desisa, we talk about a runner who probably angered Steve Prefontaine in his grave, and wonder if the top American male - whether it's Hall, Ritz, Rupp, Solinsky or Teg - could win the World Junior Cross-Country Championships. All of that plus an updated All-Time US 10,000-meter list.
Greed Is Good - Two Big-Name Women Want To Double
- Semenya Reconfirms She Wants 1,500 & 800 At World Champs This Year (And Olympics Next Year)
- Allyson Felix Says She Wants 200/400 Double At Worlds And 2012 Olympics
*Allyson Felix - Jodie Williams "Has Great Potential"
Not Sure If This Is Good Thing Or Bad
Rock 'N' Roll Marathon Series Goes Global The Competitor group does a great job, but we're not sure how committed they are to the pro side of the sport.
6-Time Boston Runner Named President Of Clovis Community College Insiders tell us her PR is 3:17.
Some Interesting Reads
- 80-Year-Old Marathon Ace Ed Whitlock Going For World Record In Rotterdam This Weekend The man who was the first 70-year-old to break 3:00 is running his first marathon in years this weekend. He plans to go for broke in the fall.
MascotSong For Daegu 2011 Released We were going to totally make fun of this song, as it's described as the concept is described as a "youthful and dynamic song that appeals to all generations," but we kind of like it. *LRC MB: Discuss Here
- Fascinating Read From The Science Of Sport: Specialization, training volume and talent development Nature versus nurture? Should your kid practice a lot? Those questions and more.
Haile Gebrselassie Profile, Semenya Fit, A Wrong Turn In Jerusalem
- Haile Gebrselassie The Family Man, The Businessman, And The Runner Geb talks about all things - family, running, and work (in that order of importance) and how "discipline" is the most important part for success in life/running. He goes on record saying he wants Olympic gold in 2012 and who he thinks are the best runners of all time. His list: 1) Abebe Bikila 2) Finn Paavo Nurmi 3) Emil Zatopek. And where would he put himself? "Perhaps I'm at number ten," he says.
- Caster Semenya's Coach Says She's Now "100 Percent Fit" She's running the 800/1,500 this weekend at SA Champs and hoping to go sub-2 (her season best is 2:01.77).
- Stars Such As Asafa Powell & World/Olympic Champ Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce To Compete At UTech Track Classic
- Jerusalem's First Ever Marathon Ends In Confusion When Leader Takes Wrong Turn
Usain Bolt & Tyson Gay In The News
Recommended Read: Usain Bolt Shares His Unique Perspective On Running And Life In Profile On Front Page Of Sports In USA Today We promised to use this article as Quote of the Day for today, as there are enough quotes to last a week. Bolt talks
about partying, psychologically destroying his opponents, the stupidity of getting married before your late 30s, and a pro soccer career after London 2012 (print edition only). Bolt: "Dancing is good physical activity. So don't think about partying and dancing as negative." Bolt also hints in the video that him and Gay talk a lot less since Bolt took over as the main star. *5
USA Today Questions With Bolt (video)
*AP: One-Track Mind - Gay Closing Gap On Bolt
April Fools News
LetsRun's 2011 April Fools Edition Yesterday's homepage was an April Fools prank. However, the news the day before on Alan Webb leaving Alberto Salazar and (according to our source) no longer receiving paychecks from Nike was not part of the prank.
Alberto Salazar Talks With More Detail And Says There Are No Hard Feelings With Alan Webb Leaving Oregonian
Alan Webb Parts Ways With Alberto
LRC Alan Webb Switching Coaches The American record holder in the mile has called it quits on the coaching experiment with Alberto Salazar after 19 months. No official word yet on where Webb goes next. This is Webb's third major coaching switch in his career due to performances he was frustrated with. And for those of you who question Webb's future, remember this Alberto Salazar quote from last year: "I would have to say that even my athletes agree as a group - Galen Rupp and Dathan Ritzenhein - we all know he (Alan Webb) is the most talented in the whole group."
Big News Coming From The UK
Sammy Wanjiru Out - Martin Lel In For Virgin London Marathon Wanjiru, who only months ago was accused of attempted murder, is out with a supposed knee injury. The good news is that three time London champ Martin Lel, who hasn't run a marathon since the Olympics, is in as a late addition. Prior to his recent injury woes, Lel was viewed by many as the best marathoner on the planet. *LRC MB *Sammy Out Of London *Wanjiru Out, Lel In
- UVA Receives $5 Million From Volleyball Alum - Will Build $14 Million Track & Field Facility If only money could get the ACC to take track seriously and put outdoor ACCs after Penn Relays.
- AJ Acosta's 3rd Place Finish At Stanford Was Just Start Of Season He Hopes Will Run Into July
- Texas Men Beat UCLA & Arkansas In Tri-Meet 2009 WC team member Dorian Ulrey opened his outdoor season with a .90 victory in the in the 800 in 1:51.23. *Results *Video Highlights
Recommended Read Ato Boldon's 10 Pieces Of Wise Advise That Current Pro Track Athletes Don't Understand (But Retired Ones Do) Among the highlights, he advises staying away from European wine and women and to beware of falling in love with insincere shoe companies.
Outdoors Is Here - Stanford Invite: Schedule, Entries, Live Results, Non-Live Videos: *Rspace.com *Ftrack.org
- Stanford Results: Men's Distance Events
- Women's Distance Events
- Jessica Pixler Runs World-Leading 5k For Outdoor Season With 15:25.58 To Beat Olympian Jen Rhines
- The Oregonian: Keep An Eye On Oregon's Women's 4 X 100, Who Won Stanford In 44.47
- The Oregon State Women's 5k Record Was Broken Twice Within Half An Hour At Stanford Hayley Oveson broke it first with a time of 16:34.01 and then 21 minutes later, her teammate Laura Carlyle re-broke it by running 16:19.00.
The Only Required Reading In The Industry
LRC: Week That Was: Flanagan Gets Bronze, Rupp Makes An Impressive Debut, An American Runs 2:27 At LA, And The US XC Dream Team Sure, we bet you know about Shalane Flanagan's bronze at World XC and Galen Rupp's half marathon in NYC. But we help put these in perspective and tell you about the American who ran 2:27 in LA (Amy Hastings) and wonder how well the US dream team of Lagat, Rupp, Solinsky, Tegenkamp and Ritz would do at World XC. And of course the most important news of the week, the fight at World XC.
Zersenay Tadese Misses His Own WR But Runs 2nd-Fastest Half Marathon Ever (58:30) In Portugal Despite having little help from rabbits and having to run into the wind the last 3 miles, Tadese was great as usual at the 13.1 distance.
2011 NCAA Champs *Full Results *2011 Event-By-Event Results With Splits *LRC Women's Preview *LRC Men's Preview *LRC Day 1 Photos *Video Highlights (48 Hours Only) Within Articles Or On Right
Day 2: LRC 3ks: Hasay Becomes A Legend, Heath Unleashes His Legendary Kick As of Fri. night, Jordan Hasay was viewed as the former teen prodigy who couldn't quite kick for the big one in college. Now, just as was the case for Galen Rupp two years ago, she is college distance running's biggest star, as she won the mile and then came back in the 3k to make herself into a legend by turning the tables on Sheila Reid. Stanford's Elliott Heath's kick was even more lethal, as he destroyed a super-talented men's 3k field over the final 140m. Includes last lap video coverage.
Day 2: LRC Mid-D: Hasay Gets Title #1, Batty Gets Title #2, Fred Samoei Wins A Nailbiter, And BYU's Bleazard Dominates After being outkicked in the DMR on Fri. night, Jordan Hasay outkicked the competition to grab her first NCAA title as BYU's Miles Batty completed the double in the men's mile, holding off a spirited challenge from Tulsa's Chris O'Hare. The men's 800 featured the best finish of the night as Michael Rutt's bold move to the lead 400 meters in almost held up. In the women' s 800, BYU's Lacey Bleazard won her 2nd indoor title - it's a shame the ESPN3 announcers had no idea who she was. Includes last lap video coverage.
Day 1: LRC DMR: Villanova's Reid Outkicks Oregon's Hasay, BYU's Miles Batty Holds Off Incredible 3:53 Anchor From Andy Bayer Both DMRs had great finishes. The women were first and 'Nova's Sheila
Reid and Oregon's Jordan
Hasay put on
battle for the ages. On the men's side, Andy Bayer split a sick 3:53 to take Indiana from 9th to 2nd, but it was not enough to overtake BYU's Miles Batty, as the night of incredible men's distance running continued with three sub-3:55 splits. Arizona's Lawi Lalang split 3:56.9 and his team lost 3 spots. Recap, interviews, photos, and video of last laps.
LRC 5,000m Recaps: Unheralded Leonard Korir Storms To NCAA Record, Jackie Areson Impresses, Mia Behm Surprises Everyone The men's 5,000m witnessed Iona's Leonard Korir winning a scorching-fast 5k in 13:26.01 over Sam Chelanga, as three guys broke the previous NCAA meet record. On the women's side, Jackie Areson put on a display over the last 600m and Mia Behm, who was 7th at the Big 12, shocked everyone to get 2nd.
Sad News: Sally Meyerhoff Killed In Cycling Accident The two-time All-American and US Olympic Trials qualifier as well former US champion at 25km was killed on Tuesday in a cycling accident at the young age of 27 while she trained for the Ironman World
Championship. *LRC MB: Sad News: Sally Meyerhoff Killed in Accident
*Abc15.com Article With Video On Meyerhoff's Death
*Ahwatukee.com Article On Meyerhoff's Death
*New York Road Runners Article
*More Sad News: Florida High School Track Athlete Sarah Landauer Dies After Collapsing At Practice
Melbourne Track Classic *LRC Melbourne Talk *Full Results *Event-By-Event Results *Photo Gallery *Post-Race 5k Interviews *Recap & 5k Video
A Dream Outdoor US Track Matchup In March In Australia
LRC: Bernard Lagat Wins And Leads Five To "A" Standard; Jeff Risesey Stuns Kiprop And Willis (And Webb) In 1,500; David Rudisha Cruises To 1:43.88 Win In 800 The Melbourne Track Classic was full of hot distance action. In the 5k, Lagat (13:08.43) pulled away from Chris Solinsky (13:10.22) and then held off a shocking late charge by Australia's Ben St. Lawrence, who had a massive 15-second personal best to finish second, as Matt Tegenkamp and the surprising Andrew Bumbalough also got the "A"' standard. In the 1,500, Jeff Riseley came in saying he was in even better shape than last year and then backed it up by getting an upest win for the second-straight year in 3:36.71, as American Alan Webb (3:37.82) drastically improved his 2011 fortunes by finishing right behind the Olympic gold medallist Asbel Kiprop (3:37.63) and well ahead of the Olympic silver medallist Nick Willis (3:38.76), as David Rudisha (1:43.88) and Nick Symmonds (1:45.08) opened fast.
Week In Review
LRC Week That Was: Haile G Jokes, Bernard, Galen And Jenny, The Track & Field Labor Dispute, And Our Hero Kawauchi We span the globe to cover the running world like no one else. From the roads of Tokyo to the mountains of New Mexico, we've got it covered.
LRC Bernard Lagat Wins 3,000m At USA Indoors And Makes It Look Easy Galen Rupp tried his best to beat Bernard Lagat on Saturday night, but Lagat ran away from Rupp with ease on the final lap, reminding us how damn good he is at 3,000m. Last year, when Lagat won World Indoors, we said he was "Utterly Brilliant." This one was "utterly smooth." Jenny Simpson ran away from Sara Hall on the last lap to win the women's 3,000m. More Sunday.
*On The Boards: USATF 5000m: Lagat, 7:57.17, Rupp 7:59.91
*Day 1 Photos
The Secret Is ... There Is No Secret
- Carl Lewis Running For The New Jersey State Senate The good news for Carl is he's Carl Lewis. The bad news for him is he is running in a predominently Republican district and just now registered to vote so he could run.
- Kenyan Runners Are Real Estate Moguls In Eldoret Area And Help Grow Economy They own a ton of buildings, hotels, and land in the city.
- Steve Flanagan (Shalane's Dad), Libbie Hickman And Writer John Meyer Among Those Being Inducted Into Colorado Running Hall Of Fame
- National Track League With $300,000 In Prize Money To Be In Canada This Summer
Brits In The News
- Helen Clitheroe: "I don't skip training. I'd have to be sick."
- BBC Interviews Mo Farah About His Shots In London 2012, Working With Alberto And More
Sunday's South African Champs *Results (Scroll Down)
- Caster Semenya Does 800m/1,500m Double At S. African Champs (2:02 And 4:12) Her first minor test at 1,500m was successful.
- S.African Outdoor Champs: Olympic Silver Medallist Khotso Mokoena Wins Long Jump, Blade Runner Doesn't Make Final
- S. African Hammer Throw Champ Chris Harmse Wins His 16th-Straight National Title The Commonwealths champ can never compete in the Olympics because the hammer is always on Sunday, and for religious reasons, he can't compete on Sunday (Eric Liddell would approve).
NCAA Action *Texas Relays Results *Pepsi Invite Results *More NCAA Results
- Texas Relays: Texas A&M Brings It At Texas Relays: Gerald Phiri 10.06 100m, 3:00.45 4 X 400, 6 Relay Wins The Aggies have upped their game for sure. Jessica Beard twice split 49.6 for the women's 4 x 400.
LRC: NCAA 800m Champ Fred Samoei Wins Slow Texas Relays Mile Over Leo Manzano And German Fernandez A 2:15 opening 2 laps made this a crap shoot as the WChampionships finalist Manzano was only 4th and Fernandez ran 4:17.
- Jeremy Wariner Motivated For Gold After Anchoring Adidas Team At Texas Relays To 3:04 Win Good thing they weren't in the college race.
- Alex Austin, Son Of Olympic Champ Charles Austin, High Jumps 6'8" With 5 Weeks Of Training
- Pre-Meet Article On Austin: He High Jumped 6'7" In His 2nd Practice Session Ever
Oregon Pepsi Invite: Strong All-Around Performances Lead Oregon To Sweep At Oregon Pepsi Invite Jordan Hasay won the women's 1,500 in 4:18, AJ Acosta won the men's 1,500 and Matt Centrowitz won the 5,000m - all as expected. The big surprise was Oregon freshman and Ethiopian refugee Boru Guyota winning the 800 over Elijah Greer in 1:48.65.
- Profile On Boru Guyota From Last Year From refugee to stud runner and valedictorian of his high school class.
- Pepsi Invite Results
George Mason: Robby Andrews 1:49.59 2nd Place At George Mason Invite UVA announced on Friday a nagging foot injury (plantar) kept Andrews out of indoors. *George Mason Full Results
Impressive: Former Irish Junior Champ & Michigan Wolverine Ciaran O'Lionaird Runs 3:41.02 Two Weeks After 28:32 10k
Alaska: Trevor Dunbar Comes Up Short In Attempt At First-Ever 4-Minute Mile In Alaska, As He Runs 4:02.99
Previous College News
- Army/Navy: Men: Navy Sweeps All Distance Events But Loses Star Meet To Army 87-93 The all-time score is Army 44, Navy 41.
*Navy Women Crush Army
Texas Relays: Ngonidzashe Makusha Is Back!!! If winning indoors wasn't enough, the 2008 and 2009 outdoor LJ NCAA champ defeated the 2010 champ on his home turf at the Texas Relays with a leap of 27'6".
- Austin American-Stateman Writer Explains Why Texas Relays Is His Favorite Event Of The Year To Cover
- 2:04.8 And 2:05.5 Splits Give LSU 4 X 800 Victory
- 2 HS Boys Over 17 Feet In Pole Vault
- Leonel Manzano (1:47.89) Defeats Jackson Kivuva & David Torrence (1:48.33)
- Texas A&M Wins 4 X 800 For 1st Time Since 1954 They broke a 24-year-old school record in the process, as their 7:19.57 beat Arkansas' 7:20.20.
- South Plains' Natoya Goule Sets New Texas Relays Record In 800 (2:04.14) *Race Video Of Goule
- IOC Issues New Guidelines To Try To Prevent Another Caster Semenya Fiasco Meanwhile, we still have no idea as to what the result of the Semenya debacle was.
- $8 Million Samsung Diamond League Starts In 4 Weeks
- Diamond League Prize Money To Go Up From $450,000 To $480,000 Per Meeting
- Weird: Sergei Bubka Reverses Course - London 2017 "In Good Shape"
Jeremy Wariner To Run 400 At Drake Relays He'll also run the week before in Waco.
Vin Lananna Keeps Trying To Make Track More Popular / Other College Stuff
- Oregon Twilight To Feature A DMR MATCH RACE, The Ducks Vs. OTC Elite Vin Lananna says he expects the OTC team to be Nick Symmonds, Ashton Eaton, Tyler Mulder and either Andrew Wheating or Russell Brown, and the UO team as A.J. Acosta, Mike Berry, Elijah Greer and Matthew Centrowitz. Race is on May 6th and we really hope there will be a live feed for that.
- Good Read After Graduating Some Great Seniors, Oregon Looking To Upperclassmen Acosta And Centrowitz To Lead Developing Team Lananna: "The men will be all-in at PAC-10s. We'll do what we have to do, because we have no other choice. For us to seriously call ourselves a contender, we can't finesse anything. We have to come at it in full swing ..."
- "What Legacy? It's All About Bloody Football, When It Should Be About Athletics"
- IOC Say They Will Not Intervene Further In BOA Cash Dispute
- USA Today: If The 2012 Games Are Cancelled, It's OK, They Have Insurance
- Experienced Race Director Of London Marathon Quits Role As Organizer For Olympic Marathon Over His "Frustration" With Locog "We [the London Marathon] are a professional business run by professionals and it was very difficult to work for another organisation who in the main have never organised an event of their own."
- World Anti-Doping Agency Accuses Athletes Of Manipulating Drug Tests By Diluting Their Urine Samples
Stellar US Road Action
Washington DC: Lelisa
Desisa Breaks 16-Year-Old Cherry Blossom 10 Mile Record In 45:36 To Win
2nd Race In Two Days And Complete $18,250 Weekend Desisa, who won Bolder Boulder and set a course record at Boilermaker last year, is making a name for himself on the roads. First on Saturday was a $10,000 sprint win at the Cooper Bridge Run in S. Carolina. He followed that up with a stellar 45:36 in DC to break the course record and win an additional $8,250. Julliah Tinega got the sprint win
Carlsbad: With 2 Shoes This Time, Dejen Gebremeskel Outkicks Eliud Kipchoge To Win Carlsbad 5,000m, Aheza Kiros Gets Her 2nd Carlsbad Crown Gebremeskel is the guy who ran most of the Boston 3,000m this year with one shoe before outkicking Mo Farah there. In San Diego, he just sat on former world champ Kipchoge until it was time to win. Kiros is most known for winning Carlsbad, as this was her second win at Carlsbad.
*Results Jen Rhines and Bobby Curtis 3rd, Christin Wurth-Thomas 4th, and Ben St. Lawrence with a really bad performance (he's struggled since beating Solinsky at 5,000m in Australia).
Saturday: Lelisa Desisa Wins Cooper Bridge Run And $10,000
Ukrop Richmond Monument Ave. 10k: Megan Wright Defends, Julius Kogo Wins
Some Big Goals
- Teddy Tamgho Has A Three-Step (Pardon The Pun) Plan For The Triple Jump: Win Worlds, Win The Olympics, And Break The World Record The first time Teddy Tamgho met Jonathan Edwards, he told Edwards he was going to break his record. Currently, Tamgho is 3rd all-time with 17.98m, while Edwards has the record at 18.29m.
- At 54 Years Old, Francis Kimeli Kemei Is Still Training/Racing Hard And Shooting For A Sub-75 Minute Half
Looking Ahead To 2012
- 4-Time Olympic Silver Medallist Frankie Fredericks Feels Sorry For Usain Bolt's Rivals As He Knows What It's Like To Finish Second "There are some great challengers out there but I feel sorry for them a bit growing up and being born in the same era as Usain Bolt."
- Irish Marathoners May Catch A Break Athletics Ireland is contemplating softening its strict "A" standard policy for the 2012 Games after they have demanded strict standards for World Champs in Daegu, saying the IAAF standards "were too easily attained."
- UK Coach Charles Van Commenee Is "Glad The Olympics Are In 2012, Not 2011," As He Wants As Much Time As Possible To Prepare His goal for the UK is 8 medals.
Week In Review
LRC Week That Was: Sage Advice There was not a ton of action on the track last week, so we go behind the scenes and give you lots of wise advice from Renato Canova, Lisa Dobriskey, Ato Boldon and others. Plus we look at Sara Hall's chances in the steeple.
News From Britain
- A MUST READ: Daily Mail Introduces Britain To Tyson Gay: "He is the second fastest man in history, and that is precisely what he does not want to be." The Quote of the Day for Saturday needs to come from this great article. Tyson Gay is living proof of what Renato Canova was talking about yesterday.
- Telegraph Looks At How 4 Of The World's Top Sprinters Are Faring 1+ Year Out From London
- Tyson Gay & Asafa Powell To Clash Twice At Both Of Britian's Diamond League Meets Tax laws will keep Usain Bolt away.
- Mark Lewis Francis Hopes To Be Back From Injury Soon
- Olympic VIllage On Track & WIll Be Done By End Of 2011 Says Seb Coe
- Tottenham Not Giving Up On Appeal About Olympic Stadium
- Paralympics Head Says Event Won't Lose Money
The Bonds Trial: Barry Bonds Childhood Friend And Business Partner Says He Saw Bonds' Trainer With A Syringe And Barry And Trainer Discuss Steroids
We Haven't Given This The Attention It Deserves: (Update: Lengthy AP Article) Agent To Some Of The Sport's Stars, Mark Block, To Appeal 10-Year Ban From Sport Block is a fairly big agent in the sport and was busted last week by USADA. His agency now represents Xavier Carter, Carmelita Jeter, Nick Symmonds and others. Block was the President of the agency and presumably the owner and is listed on the Association of Athletics Managers website. Now the old staff page is gone, and former Director of Communications Chris Layne is listed as Managing Director. Not sure if owning the agency is considered involvement in the sport. Block's statement say the decision "misstated the evidence." You can read the decision yourself here which includes this: "Mark Block also admitted paying Balco/Conte for all the drugs received by Mark Block, including EPO, 'The Clear' and 'The Cream' and Modafinil." Good riddance unless overturned on appeal.
Mark Block USADA Decision
2011 World XC *Results *New Women's Race Photos *New Men's Race Photos
World XC News We Didn't Cover Monday:
*Kenya's Linet Masai Just Misses World XC Title For Third Straight Year
*South Africa's Stephen Mokoka Happy With His 15th Place Finish This equals the best finish ever for a SA senior male runner.
*Craig Mottram Pleased With World XC Run
*World XC Champ Imane Merga Has One More XC Race This Weekend, Then Will Turn Focus To Track And with our sport's emphasis on time, he still has to go out and get a 10k qualifier. IAAF
*Faith Kipyegon Chepngetich Won Girls Juniors Barefoot
*New Women's Race Photos
LRC: Shalane Flanagan Gets Bronze The Olympic bronze medallist and ING NYC Marathon runner-up ran a stellar race to snatch the bronze versus a star-studded field. Flanagan appeared to be dropped with 2km to go, but dug deep to stay in contention and battle back for the bronze. World 5,000m champ Vivian Cheruiyot pulled away from World 10,000m
Linet Masai for gold. The American women did very well to get a repeat bronze medal.
*IAAF Recap Of Women's Race
*Charlotte Purdue Is Top European On Weekend In 14th In Women's Race If you weren't born in Africa, you didn't finish any better than 21st in the men's race, which is where Craig Mottram finished - aided in part as two guys ahead of him came to blows as they ran down the finishing straight. *2nd LRC MB Thread On Fight
*Japanese Jr. Girls Earn Bronze
*Cheruiyot: "I have won everything now, save for that elusive Olympic medal."
*Nice Recap Of Women's Race *Nice Recap Of Races From Kenyan Perspective *Athletics Weekly Recap Of World 2011 World XC *Video Highlights Of World XC Women's Race
Men: Imane Merga Blasts Away From Four Kenyans In Sprint To Win The Kenyan men dominated the team competition and had 4 of the top 5 guys in the pack for the sprint the final 400m. However, the lone Ethiopian - Imane Merga, the Diamond League 5,000m champion - got the win the Kenyan nation wants most every year. Ben True was the first American in 36th, as he and fellow Ivy Leaguer Max King were America's two best.
*Merga: "Before I used to think of myself as a track runner but this winter I have got to like cross-country races more."
*Craig Mottram Finishes As Top Non-Afrrican Born Male In 21st As Two Guys Ahead Of Him Are DQed For Fighting In Race To Line Eritrea's Samuel Tsegay and Ethiopia's Abera Kuma were given the DQ.
Junior Boys: Geoffrey Kipsang Leads Kenya To 13th Straight Title Kipsang was only 4th at the Kenyan Trials but dominated. High schooler Craig Lutz was the first American in 29th.
Junior Girls: Faith Kipyegon Of Kenya Wins, But Ethiopia Edges Them For Team Title High schooler Aisling Cuffe was the first American in 17th.
Week That Was
LRC 10 Thoughts On NCAAs We go behind the results and point out some interesting stats from the NCAAs. We not only look at Jordan Hasay's amazing weekend, but also point out how great her DMR loss was. Then we look at the emergence of Elliott Heath and tell you why he likely will end up on an Olympic or Worlds team. Along the way, we give out a history lesson about the greatness of John McDonnell and remind ourselves how he defeated the whole NCAA combined from 1984 to 2008. We also hand out some sympathy for Diego Estrada and Lali Lalang and give some advice to the folks at ESPN. At the very least, it's worth clicking on, as we have a chart with the last 10 years of NCAA mid-d and distance champs on the men's side so you can take a trip down memory lane.
Other Nationals *NCAA D3 Champs *NCAA D2 Champs *HS Nationals Results *Photos
HS: Lukas V. Runs Away From The Top Milers To Complete Historic High School Nationals Triple His double on Sunday was super-impressive, but we had completely forgotten about German
8:34 double at the California state meet.
*IAAF Article On Verzbicas
We Wrote This Article Too Soon:
Gerry Lindgren's Legendary 47-Year-Old High School National Record Survives Scare From Lukas Verzbicas And Edward Cheserek Verzbicas hammered home over the final lap to pull away from Cheserek, but in the end, Lindgren's 8:40.0 lived to see another day, as Verzbicas ran 8:40.70 and Cheserek shattered the high school indoor and overall sophomore class records with his 8:42.66. More: Gerry Lindgren 8:40 indoors *LRC MB Lukas V. 8:40.7!! *LRC MB So close *Running Times Q&A With Lindgren About His 8:40.0 Note: This article incorrectly implies the record was set in a 16-lap race.
*Lucas Verzbicas (14:06.78) & (Waverly Neer) 16:35.15 Set National HS 5,000 Records
Sally Meyerhoff News
- Recommended Read: Sally Meyerhoff Left A Positive Impression On Arizona Journalist Jeff Metcalfe Before she died, Meyerhoff was very happy with where she was in her life.
- Famed Announcer Toni Reavis Writes A Poem About Sally Meyerhoff
- Sally Meyerhoff's Death Felt At High School Meet In Arizona Her former HS teammate, who is now coach, broke down in tears as she handed out blue ribbons (in honor of Duke) to the current athletes on the team.
- US 25k Elite Athlete Coordinator And Former Boston Marathon Champ Greg Meyer Devastated By Meyerhoff's Death He says Meyerhoff was the life of the party the year she won her US title and danced up a storm at Grand Rapids' Crush Nightclub.
- Meyerhoff's Fatal Cycling Accident One Of Roughly 700 Each Year
Tokyo Marathon: A Legend Is Born *Photos
Hailu Mekonnen Wins, Japanese Amateur Yuki Kawauchi Runs Amazing 2:08:37 For 3rd And Faints At Finish Yuki Kawauchi's story is amazing.
A 13:59 5ker and 29:02 10ker, he has a full-time job and has stayed away from the Japanese collegiate and professional system, yet he stunned all of Japan with a 2:08:37 run. Dreams do become reality.
*On The Boards: 13:59 5k, 29:02 10k Japanese AMATEUR Runs 2:08:37 at Tokyo Marathon and Passes Out
Records For Rupp And Farah *Video Of Rupp's And Farah's Race
Galen Rupp & Mo Farah Set National 5k Records!
(13:11.44 and 13:10.60) The two Alberto Salazar-coached athletes put on a brave battle, with Farah coming out on top on the last lap, as Rupp regained his American record from Bernard Lagat by .06. Rupp and Farah will be training together through 2012 and their partnership is off to a strong start. Rupp is scheduled to go for the American 10k record next week in New Zealand. The meet also saw a cool 400m hurdles race (video
here or on the right), an 8:30 3k and American Morgan Uceny going sub-2:00 in the 800.
*Mo Farah Breaks British 5,000m Record With His New Coach Alberto Salazar One Of The 8,000 In Attendance Telegraph.co.uk
*Farah Credits Salazar's Coaching
*Rupp/Farah 5k Video
The 10 Best High School XC Runners Ever
LRC Week That Was: The 10 Best High School XC Runners Of All Time, Verzbicas, Tribute To Gary Reed, The NY Times & The NE Patriots And More We've got the entire running world covered from San Diego to Japan, from the high school ranks to the pros, and even talk about the NE Patriots and the NY Times.
Texas Relays Photo Gallery (That's The Final 100m Of The Men's Mile Below)
Updated Carlsbad 5,000m Photo Gallery
Adult Running Camp With 3-Time World XC Champ Lynn Jennings
Spice up your training June 12-17 with one of the all-time greats, who now offers the only camp in the country where runners can learn to scull. *Craftsbury Running Camps
Super-Slow Mile At Texas Relays With Manzano And Fernandez
Boys 3,200 From Arcadia (10 Sub-9:00s)
Recommended Read: 2:12 Marathoner Peter Gilmore Calls It A Career
Question Of The Day?
Train Smarter (More In The Training Forum)
- Scheduling Rest Days - How Often?
- stress fracture twice in same bone in 6 months...HELP
- Coaching that once-in-a-career athlete
- Is there any point doing tempo runs if your event is 3200m or shorter? Let us just chime in with an emphatic yes.
- Anyone get sick or catch a cold right after a race???
Dutch Heptathlete Jolanda Keizer Has Moved To Sweden To Train With Carolina Klüft Klüft, meanwhile, has still abandoned the heptathlon.
Running Documentary That Aired March 31st (For Reviews, Click Here)
Blows At World XC (More Info Here)
Women's World XC In Photos
Men's World XC In Photos
Ritz's Injury Is Serious
Dathan Ritzenhein Has Surgery On His Achilles And Has Neuroma Removed On Other Foot The good news is Ritz saw the same surgeon Paula Radclife saw for her foot surgery (and the unofficial West Coast LRC surgeon Amol Saxena
Rojo's Achilles surgery)).
On The Boards: Ritz under the knife
The Greatest Comeback Ever?
Train Smarter (More In The Training Forum)
- Wow, Lydiard training seems ridiculously hard
- best marathon improvement after age 40?
- How does "strength" differ from "speed" and "endurance" as a runner?
- "A runner needs a LT run every 2 to 5 days in order to not lose any aerobic ability."
Definitely Worth A Read
Hall Of Fame Running Back And Olympic 400m Bronze Medalist (46.8) Ollie Matson Dies Our sport's history is amazing, as is Matson's story. He was on the 1951 Univ. of San Francisco team that he called the "greatest of all time" (they went undefeated and are the only college football team with 3 future NFL Hall of Famers on it). However, there was one "problem" with the team. It had two black players on it. That meant bowl inviations only if the black players didn't play. The team said no, the team lost $70,000 and the school CANCELLED football the next year. Amazing. Great Frank Litsky writeup.
Last 800m (Or Full Race) Of Galen Rupp's American Record Run In Britain
This Is Awesome: Indoor 400m Hurdles At Aviva Birmingham Meet
Training Talk Is Back
Training Talk With New Marathon Star Stephanie Rothstein And Ben Bruce Stephanie lowered her marathon PR by over 10 minutes, skipping the 2:30s entirely, running 2:29:35 in Houston. And she's still got her sights on lowering it another 10 minutes. Textual recap coming later, but you can listen above or download the podcast here (1:30).
Last 250 (Or Full Race - Rewind It) Of Dejen Gebremeskel Outkicking Mo Farah In Boston With 1 Shoe
Save Some Cash
Two Of The Best Running Movies Of All Time (Don't Believe Us? Click Here)
800m Royalty Together For The First Time Ever: Juantorena, Coe, Kipketer And Rudisha (It's Well Worth A Watch If You Have The Time, Or Read The Recap Here)
Save Some Cash
- Long run, 25% of your weekly mileage?
- 5x1 mile repeats with 1:1 work/rest ratio, 10k time?
- Marathon Training Thread - Week Ending 10/17
- Could I break 33 mins. in the 10k based on this workout
- Does anybody here train using Daniels Running Formula
Universal Sports Back To Top