Weekend Marathons *Houston Live Thread
Houston: Bekana Daba Nearly Goes Sub-2:07, Strong Day For Americans Daba, a 12:58 5ker on the track last year, had the credentials, but his first marathon wasn't great (2:14 in Amsterdam). He put that behind him, running a stunning 1:02:47 on the second half of the course to finish in 2:07:04 despite a bathroom break near the finish. American marathoning is definitely on the upswing; at the fast halfway
split, there were 2 Americans in the
pack (Nick Arciniaga
and Brett Gotcher). Arciniaga would grab second and a 2:11:30 PR. Last year's surprise Gotcher blew up. On the distaff side, Mamitu Daska of Ethiopia prevailed in a duel with Ashu Kasim, as American Stephanie Rothstein surprised with a huge 10-minute PR and sub-2:30 clocking.
*Nice Recap From Houston Chronicle No wonder Gotcher blew up; the lead pack did a 4:29 mile for mile 14 (which is Gotcher's 10k PR pace and way faster than Nick Arciniaga's 10k pace) and then 3 sub-4:40 miles from 16-18.
*RRW Americans Nick Arciniaga, Stephanie Rothstein Impress Nick was only slated to pace Gotcher through 25k, but he was open to the idea of finishing.
Osaka: Yukiko Akaba (Japan's Top Marathoner In 2010) Wins Osaka Marathon On Cold And Windy Day To Get Her First Marathon Win
Miami: Dude Wins ING Miami Marathon By Nearly 6 Minutes In 2:12 (He Was So Far Ahead Until Mile 23 That 2nd And 3rd Place Thought They Were Winning)
Millrose *1 Page Results *Full Results
Millrose Behind The Scenes: Lagat Goes Down, Millrose Entertains Employee #1 and his able assistant went into the bowels of Millrose to tell you what really happened at the grand-daddy of track and field meets in the world. High schoolers flashing U of O symbols, overlooked 3:34 1,500m runners, and pros addicted to LetsRun.com, we've got it covered.
Unlucky 7: Deresse Mekonnen Snaps Bernard Lagat's Winning Streak At 6 The 23-year-old 2010 world indoor champ defeated the 36-year-old President of the Boards (or did Father Time win?) in a fantastic Wanamaker mile, but not without Lagat putting up a fantastic fight that saw him at least three times try to retake the lead in the final two laps.
*Samantha Nadel Wins High School Girls Millrose Mile In 4:50.58
*NY's Chad Noelle Wins Boys Millrose Mile In 4:16.71
*Register-Guard: World Pentathlon Record Holder Ashton Eaton PRs In Two Out Of Three Events To Beat Olympic Champion Bryan Clay And World Champion Trey Hardee Eaton set a new shot put PR at 46-8 and lowered his 60m hurdles time to 7.64.
*Jamaicans Lose Sprint Showdown With USA Jamaicans Veronica Campbell-Brown and Nesta Carter won the sprints, but US sprinters claimed victory on points in the US-Jamaica challenge.
*IAAF Recap: Mekonnen Ends Lagat's Streak
*Millrose Games: Nadel, Noelle Win HS Miles!
*UVA Wins College 4 x 800 Without Robby Andrews
International Track News
- Jessica Ennis Runs 7.97 In The 60m Hurdles, Crushes Two-Time World Indoor Champion Lolo Jones In Glasgow *IAAF Recap
- US's David Oliver Beats European Champ Andy Turner In The 60m Hurdles Turner was trying to "scalp" Oliver (read here), but Oliver beat him easily. Maybe Turner should stick to soccer.
- Russia's Ivan Ukhov Just Misses World Record In High Jump Check out a video of his jump here. It looks like he's jumping in a big barn. Ukhov is a stud but is most known for being the guy jumping drunk at a meet in 2008.
- Rome Diamond League Meet To Feature Two World Record Holders In Usain Bolt (100m & 200m WR) And David Rudisha (800m WR) *IAAF Article
Kiplagat Wants The World Records
- Silas Kiplagat Says He Has Sights Set On Breaking Hicham El Guerrouj's World Records After winning Kenya's Prisons Services Cross-Country Championships, in a very bold statement, Kiplagat (3:29.27 1,500 PR) claimed that he thought he was in shape to go after El Guerrouj's World Indoor record of 3:31.18 and his outdoor record of 3:26.00.
- A Fast Finishing Kick Gets Silas Kiplagat The Win At Kenya Prisons Cross-Country Championships
Osaka Women's Marathon
After 4 Elite Athletes Withdraw From Field Due To Injuries, 2:24:55 Marathoner Yukiko Akaba Could Be The Favorite Akaba feels that she is in the best marathon shape of her career and with her personal bests of 31:15.34 at 10,000m and 1:08:11 for the half marathon (1:08:11), she should have a faster marathon than her 2:24:55 time indicates. *IAAF Preview
Injury-Prone Dathan Ritzenhein Will Now Shift Focus To 10k At World Champs *LRC MB: RITZ! ENOUGH WITH THE MARATHON!
Lukas V Commits To Oregon For Real It's now official; two time Foot Locker XC national champ Lukas Verzbicas has an oral commitment to Oregon. The news was out unofficially last week. Letsrun.com has learned Lukas considered turning pro but the money he wanted wasn't there. Why would Nike pay big bucks for him when they can get him much cheaper in the U of O singlet?
*Message Board Thread
LRC Quotes Of The Year We've got the top 20 quotes of the year on LetsRun.com narrowed down. Now you can not only get inspired by seeing them, but you can vote for your favorite.
Read This To Your Kids Edwin Moses Receives World Fairplay Award In Recognition Of His Efforts Promoting Drug Free Sport The Act of Fair Play Award was also given to three other athletes: Amin Zadeh, an Iranian soccer player who kicked the ball out of play rather than score on an open goal when the goalie was injured, Darius Draudvila, a Lithuanian decathlete who cost himself a chance for a medal at Euros when he leant his pole to the eventual bronze medallist who broke his and couldn't find another, and Chinese wrestler Gao Feng, who carried an injured opponent from the arena to receive treatment even though the rival had been sanctioned for biting him during the contest.
60th Anniversary Of Pre's Birthday Keeps Generating News
- Creating The Annual Prefontaine Classic Poster Isn't As Easy As You Might Think Meet director Tom Jordan speaks of the difficulty of finding new photos worthy of the yearly poster.
- Steve Prefontaine And His Three "Brothers"
World Paralympic 100m
Blade Runner Loses To American Jerome Singleton For First Loss In 7 Years Singleton is a rocket scientist of sorts (math & applied physics major who has interned for NASA) and very fast. The finish was very close and worth a watch. We won't tell you exactly what happens in case you have 12 seconds to watch it.
*Video Of Race (and embedded on right)
*Excellent Profile On Singleton From 3wiresports.com
Ritz And Webb
Ritz Out Of London Just 16 days after it was announced America's top finisher at the last Olympic marathon was running London, he has pulled out with an injury. The injury bug continues to follow the American star. The way the schedule is, Ritz will likely not run a marathon before next year's Olympic Trials.
Discuss: *Ritz Out Of London
Video Of Alan Webb Showing Up At School To Give Lukas V His Gatorade XC Athlete Of Year Award
IAAF Secures Over the Air TV Deal In France The IAAF is making it a priority to get the sport on TV channels people actually watch instead of obscure cable channels for a few $.
Craig Mottram & Benita Willis To Lead Australia At World XC Championships Mottram will run for the first time since 2008 and will lead a squad that includes former NAU star David McNeill. *Australian XC Trials Results
News From Europe
- New Pro Ciara Mageean Broke Two Irish Junior Records At New Balance Mageean, whom some are calling the next Sonia O'Sullivan, finished seventh in the elite mile field (10 seconds behind winner Jen Simpson's 4:28.60) in 4:38.81 to break the 13-year-old indoor junior record of 4:41.76. En route to that record, she ran 4:17 to smash her own jr. record of 4:20.88.
- Only Two Scottish Athletes To Compte At This Weekend's Aviva International Meet In Glasgow, Scotland One of them is former U23 European 5k champ Laura Kenney.
- France's Teddy Tamgho Sets World-Leading Mark In The Triple Jump At 17.46m
- Russia's Aleksandr Menkov Sets Top Long Jump In 2011 At 8.17m He's in contention to be the youngest European Indoor Champ if he can win in Paris in six weeks.
Another Edition Of The Famed Kenyan Armed Forces XC Champs Is In The Books (The 3rd-Toughest Race On The Planet)
- World Champ Joseph Ebuya Only 23rd At Armed Forces XC Championships It was the 2nd straight poor performance for Ebuya, who was the defending champ, and now it's time to get nervous. He was leading the first few circuits and blamed his loss on a non-acclimatization to the heat.
- IAAF Recap Of Armed Forces - Teen Steals Show In Kenya Remember the name John Chepkwony, as he may be the next big thing. The World Juniors silver medallist from last summer's 5k got the surprise win and continued his fantastic XC season. The meet also was significant as
Paul Tergat took it all
in in his first public appearance since his horrific car crash.
More XC News:
- World Cross Champ Says New Course Is Too Easy Defending WC 12km champion Joseph Ebuya says that this year's Worlds course is too flat and "not what world cross is all about." He'd better start worrying about his recent form, not the course.
- Kenyans Sweep At Antrim Kigen leads 1-4 Kenyan sweep, European junior XC champ Charlotte Purdue wins women's race.
- Kipsang Wins Discovery Kenya Cross-Country Meet Olympic 1,500 champ Asbel Kiprop dropped out, while two-time NYC marathon champ Martin Lel was 33rd.
- Komon Wins Cross Spanish XC Race 2008 World Cross silver medallist, Leonard Patrick Komon of Kenya, beat out fellow Kenyan, Olympic 10k bronze medallist Micah Kogo. For the women, Portugal’s European 5,000m bronze medallist Sara Moreira beat out Spain’s Diana Martín.
Update On Nike's Golden Boys - Rupp & Lance
- Rupp Taken Out By Flu Shot Galen Rupp drops out of mile at Boise State Invitational. Salazar puts partial blame on flu shot. *LRC MB: Rupp Drops Out After Asthma Attack
- One Of Leading EPO Testers Says Drug Testing Head Don Catlin Was Huge Lance Armstrong Fanboy If Catlin's credibility ends up being shot, he may be the biggest name to fall.
- Lance Armstrong Finishes A Disappointing 81st In Last Pro Race Outside US Incredibly, nearly 800,000 people turned out to watch Lance in Australia this year. After the race, his former mechanic predicted doom for Armstrong.
News From Japan
- Japanese 10k Record Holder And Former Marathon Record Holder Yoko Shibui Will Return To Marathoning At Tokyo Marathon On Feb. 27 Her training is just 60-70% of normal and it sounds like she'll do the race more to have a positive marathon experience than to run really fast.
- First-Year Pro Tsuyoshi Ugachi, 12th At Last Fall's World Half Marathon, Leads His Tochigi Team To 1st-Ever Interprefectural Men's Ekiden Championships In Hiroshima *IAAF Recap
Dubai Marathon (World's Richest Prize) *Race Website *Live Thread *Top Results And Prize Money *Photos Here
Barmasai And Asselefech Mergia Each Pocket $250,000
David Barmasai earned his $250,000 the hard way. Barmasai had only run marathons in Kenya before. There were 12 guys who went through halfway in 1:02:46. At 30k, according to message board reports, the leaders were only 25 seconds off of Haile G's world record split. Then however, the wheels came off. The final 5k was run in 16:47 and that gave Barmasai the win by nearly a minute over Evans Cheruiyot (2008 Chicago champ), who won $100,000 for 2nd place. Shows how hard Haile G's record is. On the women's side, Asselefech Mergia of Ethiopia was much more credentialed coming in (bronze at 2009 Worlds) and she was the only one to dip under 2:23 but missed the course record at the world's richest marathon in terms of prize money - $1,000,000 combined between men and women; not the $2 million we said yesterday.
*Top Results And Prize Money
- High School XC Star Arrested For Armed Robbery Of Gas Station The kid tried to use a knife and the clerk
pulled out his own knife to stop the robbery. The kid is the same kid who got attention earlier this year on LRC in this thread: "HS football player runs 15:11."
Message Board Thread Here.
The Action Is About To Heat Up
New Balance Boston To Feature LRC Fans' Dream Mile
*Willis, Webb (And Verzbicas) To Battle In Mile In Boston *LRC MB: Webb vs Willis vs Verzbicas at New Balance Indoor
A Great Mile Matchup In Europe: 2010 Outdoor Sensation Silas Kiplagat To Race World Indoor Champ In Lievin, France On February 8th; Kaki Also Running
Tokyo Marathon: 27:01, 59:50 Guy Gideon Ngatuny To Make His Marathon Debut In Tokyo, Taking On Gebrselassie The marathon is
March 9th February 27th. We like the clever website name: www.tokyo42195.org.
Interesting (But Not Quite Recommended) Reads:
- Trevor Dunbar To Run Mile Race On 240m Track At Halftime Of Portland Basketball Game The race is all part of UP's effort to make their track and XC teams more accessible to the public. We think alll schools should open up their facilities and reach out to the public like UP.
- Sally Meyerhoff Borderline Hated Herself After NYC Disappointment But Has Refound Love For Running While Winning Trail Run Championship The interesting young lady is now training for the Ironman, which is 14 weeks before the Olympic Marathon Trials.
Galen Rupp Racing Paul Koech Over 5,000m In Düsseldorf, Germany On February 11 Rupp no doubt will be trying to regain his American record from Bernard Lagat (13:11). Koech ran 13:02 last year in Düsseldorf to become the 4th fastest ever indoors.
*Message Board Thread
London & Boston 2011
Incredible 2011 Virgin London Marathon Field Announced: Wanjiru Vs. Kebede Vs. Makau On Men's Side Director Dave Bedford is calling the women's field "undoubtedly our strongest ever," but we once again are amazed with his men's field. London's got the top 3 men's marathoners in the world Sammy Wanjiru, Tsegaye
Kebede and Patrick Makau going head to head to head. This year's Chicago marathon with Wanjiru vs. Kebede duelling to the finish was incredible and left Sammy Wanjiru exhausted (photo above). Now throw Makau (Amsterdam and Berlin champ) into the mix. *Message Board Thread On London
*European XC Champ Jessica Augusto And Hayley Yelling To Make Marathon Debuts In London
American Hopefuls Kara Goucher And Desiree Davila To Run Boston 2011 Davila has come a long way in her career, as she got equal billing with Goucher in the press release. Last week it was announced Ryan Hall is running Boston.
On The Boards: Desi will kick Kara's butt this April
US Half Champs In Houston *Results, Prize Money, Splits *Updated Photos *Live Thread
Men: LRC Mo Trafeh Outkicks Ryan Hall Ryan Hall, Mo Trafeh and Patrick Smyth battled together on the streets
Houston for 11 miles. In the twelfth mile, Hall tried to push ahead. Smyth was the first to crack, but Trafeh stayed on Hall's
heels. With 200m to go, Trafeh gave it one final surge and passed Hall to get the win.
*Video Of Men's Finish *Men's Post-Race Interviews
Women: LRC Jen Rhines' Return Trumps Burla's After a 4-year absence, Jen Rhines made a return to the longer distances with a win and a PR. However, her comeback was the least impressive of the day, as that award definitely goes to Serena Burla. Burla was second just as she was last year. However, in the last year, she had been diagnosed and beaten cancer. Pretty amazing. Mother of three, Nan Kennard, who trains with Colleen De Reuck, was a surprise third.
*Video Of Women's Finish *Women's Post-Race Press Conference
NCAA/US Track Action Really Heats Up
- Nice Weekend By Elliot Heath: Arkansas Results (Elliott Heath 7:52 3k, 3:55 DMR 1,600, 9:29 For Stanford)
- UW Invite Results (Kara Goucher 16:11 5k, Luke Puskedra 13:46 5k, Centro 4:04 Mile, Jordan Hasay 9:05 3k)
- Oregon's Brianne Theisen Breaks NCAA Pentathlon Record* Theisen broke the previous NCAA record (4,496 points) by 11 points. She needed a 2:15 in the 800 and she ran 2:14.5. Afterwards, she said, "It's pretty cool, but I'm pretty tired." *But Her Record Probably Will NOT COUNT No, she didn't run out of her lane. But she did run on an oversized track.
- Indiana's Madness Continues As Three Hoosiers Break 14:00!!! If that's not enough, Andy Bayer followed up his 7:48 with a 3:57.
- NCAA XC Champ Sheila Reid Of Villanova Breaks Amory 3k Record With 8:56 Jordan Hasay also ran 9:05 at UW.
- Breakthrough Of Decade? Woman Whose PR Was 5:38 3 Years Ago Runs 4:33 Mile And Beats Shalane Flanagan Check out Lauren Johnson's amazing background here.
- 3 Break Four At Penn State, Led By Cory Leslie's 3:57.97 It was Leslie's 1st time under 4:00. PSU's Ryan Foster also busted 4:00. Also at the meet: Cas Loxsom of PSU 1:47.36.
- Sam Chelanga Runs World-Leading 13:41 5K
- Message Board News: German Fernandez JR Oklahoma State 4:14.69 *Prediction for Germans mile in Arkansas tomorrow? *Stanford 9:29, Arkansas 9:30 in DMR
- 4 Break 8:00 In Boston
- BU Terrier Results *UW Results
- More Results
Week In Review: *More Dubai Photos Here
LRC Week That Was: Delaware Gets The Ax, Wanjiru Crashes, Dubai Makes Some Marathoners Rich, And The US Indoor Season Gets Going As usual, we recap the week in running like nobody else. Now that the holidays are behind us, the running world is starting to heat up again.
Caster Semenya Sits Down & Gives The BBC Her 1st Extended Interview Since Gender Controversy Arose Semenya said she doesn't want to dwell on the gender issues; she only wants to focus on running, but she did get irritated when asked if she was given hormonal treatment.
Pre's 60th Birthday Would Have Been Tuesday
If Pre Were Still Alive, Where Would He Be And What Would He Have Done? What would he look like? Where would he live? Would we have gone to the
1980 Olympics? We'll never know for sure, but some people have ideas.
*Prefontaine: Why Does He Matter? Why Do We Still Talk About Him Today?
*Linda Prefontaine Speaks About Her Brother
*Legacy.com Looks At Pre's Life & Legacy
She Must Have The Same PR Agent As Lance
Marta Domínguez Remains Defiant In 1st TV Appearance Since Doping Raid She flat-out said she didn't use PEDs and admitted to only giving aspirin, vitamin C and iron to teammates.
*Lengthier Article On Domínguez Translated From Spanish Dominguez appears to say the charges may have a political connection and says she's clean because she's had a 16-year-long career.
*2nd Article Translated From Spanish
More Doping News:
Asian Games Silver Medallist Ahemed Dheeb Stripped Of Medal
Boston Globe Feature Article
Have Athletes Reached Their Limits? The author seems to think they have because so many world records have stagnated since the 1980s. He does acknowledge drugs played a role in many records from the '80s. However, he is perplexed by one athlete - Usain Bolt - and says Bolt's breakthroughs today are why he is so newsworthy. Track and field, by focusing on the competition and not the records, can stay relevant in our opinion.
Duke Senior Kate Van Buskirk Sets Collegiate Record In 1,000 She had an incredible weekend as she ran 2:41.00 after splitting 2:04.15 on a 4 x 800.
New Balance Armory *Full Results
- Jenny Simpson's First Race Since Injury Results In World Leader In Mile (4:28.60) Phoebe Wright dominated the women's 800 and four went sub-4 in the mile, including winner Craig Miller, who for some reason is going to go to Australia to train instead of race in the famed Wanamaker mile. *LRC MB: Simpson 4:28.60
- Simpson Keeping Options Open For Outdoors - May Focus On 1,500, Steeple Or Even 5k We're pleased to see she realizes her strength is her #1 strength as a focus on speed was only going to ruin her career.
- HSer Najee Glass Breaks National Record In Boys 500 (62.22) *Najee Glass Smashes 27-Year-Old HS 500m Record
*Oops, Not So Fast: Video Shows Glass Ran Inside The Line During His 500m HS Record This isn't a matter of him running a step or two on the line. He was clearly running in the wrong lane for parts of two turns and had better be DQed.
- Teary-Eyed Hastings Wins 400 In 52.35
Millrose Is Friday
- Ashton Eaton Getting Better & Better - PRs In 3 Events In Tuneup For Millrose Games Challenge On his 23rd birthday (Friday), Eaton posted a 46'6.25" PR (by 3.5 feet) in the shot, then on Saturday went 7.68 in the 60-meter hurdles (good enough for the NCAA auto time if he was still eligible), and a 1:55.90 in the 800.
- Millrose HS Miles Are Finalized
- "Batman" Bershawn Jackson & Three-Time Champion Carmen Douma-Hussar Added To Millrose Field Douma-Hussar will be challenged in the women's 1,500 by three-time Millrose runner-up Sara Hall.
- Are You A Fan Of Steve Prefontaine? Read This
Recommended Read The Untold Steve Prefontaine Victory It's hard to describe what this race was, but if you are a Pre fan - trust us - you'll want to read this, as he clearly was one competitive S.O.B. The race involved beer, sorority girls and multiple Olympians duking it out before a sold-out football crowd.
Japanese Comedian Completes Around-The-World Run Kampei Hazama ran around the world in 744 days, passing through 18 countries and running more than 41,000km, getting diagnosed with cancer along the way.
More Men's Track & XC Programs Bite The Dust
Sports Illustrated Columnist Joins LRC Faithful In Ripping Delaware For Cutting Its Men's Track & Field / XC Teams Jeff Pearlman is a little biased as he used to run for them, but that doesn't mean he's not right on the money. UD Track is 100 years old this year.
*LRC MBoarders Express Their Outrage
*A Blogger Is Irate
*Delaware's Cowardly Release
Bemidji State's Men's Indoor & Outdoor Programs Get The Ax Not quite as old as Delaware, which is celebrating its 100th anniversary, Bemidji track has been around since 1928.
Week In Review
LRC: Week That Was Last week, we had to use sex to sell our Week That Was and this week, except for talking about LaShawn Merritt's penis, everything is clean. We actually are full of praise for some American stars helping the sport, some of the shoe companies, and more. Plus, we cover some XC, India's #1 marathoner, and some Oregon football.
Need To Get Motivated In 2011? Run Whichever NYRR Race You Want And Help Kids At The Same Time (Sponsored Post)
Spread The Joy Of Running And Get Guaranteed Entry To The 2011 ING NYC Marathon And Other Events The NYRR's Team for Kids program is a great program. It brings the benefits of the world's simplest and greatest sport, running, to underprivileged kids throughout the world. In return for some fund raising, its participants, that would be you, get guaranteed entry into various sold-out NYRR events, including the ING NYC Marathon. Click for more info.
TIA/Unbelievable: Two Of Kenya's Brightest Junior Prospects For World XC May Not Be Able To Race, As They Allegedly Were Beaten By Their Teacher For Not Passing Tests Apparently, in Kenya there is some sort of automatic passing going on that made the teacher irate and he supposedly beat one of the students unconscious.
Updates For Past & Current NCAA Greats
- German Fernandez Update: Plan Is To Train High, Race Low In 2011 The plan for the wonder kid is to focus on the shorter events (mile/1,500) in races but train like a 5k runner.
- Alistair Cragg Pissed He Let Shawn Forrest Go In Arizona Half Last Weekend But Pumped To Be Healthy And Confident He Can Get Irish Record At NYC Half He ran 63:22.
- It's Official: Kara Goucher To Run NYC Half On March 20th
- Nick Willis To Get Silver Medal In Ceremony On February 26th
Recommended Click: The Fastest People To Never Be World Ranked By T&FN
Imagine running 9.88 for 100m or 12:51 for 5,000 or 2:05:25 for 26.2 and not being ranked top 10 in the world.
More Action We Already Covered
- Bay Area XC Challenge: *Molly Huddle Wins, Ben Bruce Wins 3-Way Sprint (link fixed) *Results $9,000 in prize money
at this USA XC tuneup.
*Message Board Thread *More Photos
- More From Arizona: IAAF Recap Points Out Goucher Actually Lost Race By Wide Margin Goucher: "I don't like to lose and I don't like to not run fast." *Matt Fitzgerald: The Benefits Of A "Bad" Race Goucher was more than 7 minutes from her PR - but given her pregnancy, we wouldn't call it bad at all.
- Desiree Davila Runs 70:33 PR In Naples Congrats to Zac Hine for his 63:54.
Alberto On Galen
LRC: Update On Galen Rupp's Training: Two Distinct Seasons For Rupp In 2011, More Mileage Alberto Salazar has done a tremendous job crafting Galen Rupp's career despite the critics (we specifically remember pro athletes who saw Galen train as a high schooler saying he'd burn out). Alberto says 2011 will be a bit different for Galen than 2009 and 2010, with 2 distinct peaks (and time off in between) and that there is still a lot of room for improvement in terms of training mileage. Plus, we take a look back at Galen's incredibly long and consistent 2009 and 2010 seasons.
Bupa Great Edinburgh Cross-Country Team Race *Team Race Results *LRC Race Photos *LRC Interviews *Video Highlights (Available Worldwide - They Show Snow And Huge Hill)
LRC Team Race: Mo Farah Over Galen Rupp
prevailed over Galen Rupp
on an officially non-Rupp-certified snow course. We recap the action, have photos, and talked to Galen, Mo, Alberto, and some of the American studs, including Scott Bauhs, who puts an end to "Rupp certification" once and for all.
*Video Of Farah's 2:00 Win Worth a look to see hill and snow.
*LRC Interviews With Alberto, Galen, Scott Bauhs, Stephen Furst, Bobby Mack And Matt Gabrielson
*LRC Race Photos
*BBC: Video Highlights Of Farah's Dominant Win A post-race interview of Farah is included as well.
It's Not This Easy In America
Olympic Marathon Champ And Accused Attempted Murderer Sammy Wanjiru And His Wife Supposedly Reconcile Press reports are indicating that the families of Wanjiru and his wife got involved and urged a reconciliation which may result in charges being dropped, although his wife was a bit coy in her responses to the press (as we're
sure $$$ is still being negotiated). *Updated
LRC MBoard Talk: "He is now officially qualified to be a professional American athlete. Can some of the women on this board tell me why abused women stay with their abuser. Often, until they are beaten to death?"
*Sammy Wanjiru Arrested For Attempting To Kill His Wife And A Domestic Worker
- A Must Click Track With A Hill On It Is Built
- A Recommended Read Discoverer Of EPO Dies Eugene Goldwasser never patented EPO and never got fame or fortune. Rather, Amgen is the one who reaped billions off of it.
- Interesting Read The New York Times Looks At Why We Feel Warm For Hours After A Workout Good news also comes from the article, which reveals intense athletes burn more calories hours after exercise is done, whereas average athletes do not.
All That Is Great About LetsRun.com
LRC NCAA And Foot Locker Contest Recaps: The Greatness Of You Recapping our contests always reminds us what is greatest about LetsRun.com - that is you, our incredibly loyal, smart and interesting readers. This time our contest winners impress as usual. Not only do we have acts of sportsmanship, but we have a runner with MS who can no longer run anymore but it still super-dedicated to the sport, a college coach who nearly pulled off the NCAA D1, D2 prediction double (and btw went to high school with the rocket scientist who has won two of our previous contests), a guy who watched malmo win an NCAA XC race, and a guy who issued a challenge to Aaron Braun before he won last week's club XC champs.
The 10 Best High School XC Runners Ever
LRC Week That Was: The 10 Best High School XC Runners Of All Time, Verzbicas, Tribute To Gary Reed, The NY Times & The NE Patriots And More We've got the entire running world covered from San Diego to Japan, from the high school ranks to the pros, and even talk about the NE Patriots and the NY Times.
The Stars Of Track And Field Party In Monaco *Wejo's Photo Gallery 1 *Pro Photo Gallery 2
Men's Finish In Houston
Women's Finish In Houston
Save Some Cash
Happy 60th Birthday To Steve Prefontaine
Two Of The Best Running Movies Of All Time (Don't Believe Us? Click Here)
2011 Standard Chartered Dubai Marathon Photos
Train Smarter (More In The Training Forum)
- Excercise Science Misconception About Running
- Anyone have trouble running straight on treadmill?
- Can I substitute a long run in Marathon Training with a half race?
- Are longer runs always better?
- Workouts to suggest 1:55/1:56 in the 800?
Think You've Done It All?
- Trial Of Kenteris And Thanou Begins 6 Years Later
- Wall Street Journal: NFL Is Notifying Players A Day Before They Are Drug Tested We're not surprised. If the cycling world has taught us anything, it is that athletes can dope pretty systematically and not get caught for years even with no advance notice. Imagine what they could do with a 24-hour notice.
- Don Catlin Says He Can't Respond To Allegations In Sports Illustrated Article
- Kiwi Author Rips LaShawn Merritt Over His Drug Positive
- As Career Comes To An End, Armstrong Not Losing Sleep Over Doping Investigation
- What is considered "junk mileage"
- intervals question?
- Lost motivation to run
- What is your favorite marathon?
- Galen Rupp only averaged 80 miles a week
- How far can you run in 1:11:11 on 1-11-11?
Alberto On Rupp And Ritz's Training
Scott Bauhs Ends The Rupp Certification Debate ... Or Does He Not?
Logan Vs. USATF
LRC Exclusive USATF Strikes Back With Charges Of Tax Evasion, Expense Report Abuse And The Real Reason Doug Logan Was Fired We're far from lawyers and most of you aren't either, but this is worth a read, as USATF has filed its response to former CEO's Doug Logan's lawsuit. USATF hurls some serious charges at Logan and some dirt (improper gifts to a
female athlete), but none of them are the real reason Logan was fired. We've got it covered, plus news who on the USATF board Logan referred to as Fantasia and Opie.
*Message Board Thread
- How to deal with depression caused from injury?
- plantar faciitis will not go away! Any tricks you used to get rid of it?
- Sets and Reps for Lifting Program for High Schoolers
- Most Mileage You've Ever Done in a Week
- More In Our Training Forum
Recommended On The Boards: The Legend Of Steve Jones Grows
800m Royalty Together For The First Time Ever: Juantorena, Coe, Kipketer And Rudisha (It's Well Worth A Watch If You Have The Time, Or Read The Recap Here)
Save Some Cash
- Long run, 25% of your weekly mileage?
- 5x1 mile repeats with 1:1 work/rest ratio, 10k time?
- Marathon Training Thread - Week Ending 10/17
- Could I break 33 mins. in the 10k based on this workout
- Does anybody here train using Daniels Running Formula
Universal Sports Back To Top