Foot Locker Finals *Results *Boys Photo Gallery *Legends Pre-Race Photo Gallery
Boys: Edward Cheserek Repeats After Battle With Sean McGorty McGorty, the South champ, and Jake Leingang, the Midwest Champ, didn't make it easy for Cheserek, but there is a reason Cheserek
doesn't lose - he's
the best in the US high school ranks. The four Regional winners went 1-2-3-4. *Results*Milesplit Recap *Edward Cheserek Interview
Girls: Anna Rohrer Overcomes Fall To Win Rohrer pulled away for the win after falling after the start. Her Midwest teammates dominated the race with 7 in the top 10. Catarina Rocha of the Northeast was the runner-up, with both runner-ups having a least one Foot Locker finalist parent. *Results *Steve U's Recap *Anna Rohrer Interview
*OTB: Sarah Baxter 2016 Olympics? *wow footlocker, get your cameras fixed. learn how to cover a national race *Has Foot Locker gone too far?
- Hey Athletics Kenya Listen Up: Kenyan Journalist Writes Open Letter To AK President Explaining Why Holding Their 10k Trials In Eugene Was A Bad Idea Apparently AK is talking about outsourcing the trials for the World Championship 5k/10k team as well. If they want to shoot themselves in the foot like last year, we're sure Mo Farah and Galen Rupp won't mind.
- Olympic 800 Bronze Medalist Timothy Kitum Says He's Focused On The Moscow World Champs Where He Wants To Take Rudisha's Title
NYC Marathon Cancellation "Updates"
- NYRR Still Working Out Post-Cancellation Details, But Release Very Small Detail They say the marathon will still count for 9+1 program which gives NYRR members a means of guaranteed entry into the marathon.
- Would Be NYC Marathon 2012 Runners Angered Over Lack Of Response As To Whether They'll Be Automatically Allowed To Run 2013
Ryan Hall To Be Coached By Renato Canova America's 2:04:58 man, who just turned 30 in Oct., blogged today that he'll
be coached by famed coach Renato Canova - the famed LRC poster who in the past has coached/advised many Kenyan stars. We wonder if the relationship will be a traditional coaching one or more of an advisor role.
*Canova: Hall is "such a great talent."
*MB Discussion On Ryan Hall's Decision
More On Canova From The MB:
MB: Part 1 Of Canova Profile *Part 2
*Summary Of Renato Canova Principles
More HS News: Dyestat Name & Archives Move Over To Runnerspace.com
*2nd Release On Dyestat
*MB: Dyestat is BACK
Euros Are Sunday: *Live Stream For Euro XC Champs On December 9th Starting At 3:55:AM ET Senior women go off at 7:15AM ET and men at 8:08AM ET.
*IAAF Preview Of Sunday's European XC
*Men's Preview *Women's Preview
*Irish Team, Which Includes Providence's Sarah Collins But Not Providence's Shane Quinn, Is Ready For Snow
*Euro XC Champs Will Be Terrence Mahon's First Test As New UK Distance Coach Mahon believes meets like this are a good chance for younger athletes to be in a situation where they can be competitive and at the front of the pack.
*Links To More Coverage
*Women's Under-23 European XC Champs Preview
*13:11 Man Hayle Ibrahimov The Favorite At European Under-23 XC Champs
Honolulu: Wilson Kipsang Visits With Honolulu All Girls School Ahead Of Honolulu Marathon This Weekend
*After Starting On A Whim, Fisherman Gary Dill Will Run His 40th Straight Honolulu Marathon This Weekend "We made a vow. One of those things you do when you're young and dumb. We made a vow that the three of us would do this marathon."
UK Athlete News
- LJer Greg Rutherford Isn't Satisfied with Being "Just A Guy Who Won An Olympic Games" "It's about going to the World Championships and solidifying myself as one of the greatest long jumpers, not just a guy who won an Olympic Games."
- UK HJer Robbie Grabarz Supports UKA's Move To The New Hub In Loughborough And Hopes It Helps Him Break The 20-Year-Old NR Currently he's tied with the record at 2.37m.
- Jessica Enis Wants To Start Her Own Fashion Label
- Q&A With GB Marathoner Jo Pavey A Couple Weeks After Her Disappointing DNF At Yokohama Women's Marathon
- New UK Track Coach Peter Eriksson Says 2012 "Was The Beginning Of A New Era" For GB Track
Kenenisa Bekele Finishes His Track
Kenenisa Bekele Builds His Own Track/Runner's Paradise In Ethiopia And Hotel For Athletes Wishing To Use It It is in an area with 20 miles of forest trails in the mountains as well as flat woods right behind the hotel. He says he spent $1.5 million on the track, which currently has 6 lanes, but he plans on adding 2 more and adding seating so they can host elite track meets.
- Oscar P Backs London's Bid To Host 2017 Paralympic World Champs, But Says He'll Probably Retire The Year Before That
- UK Hurdler Jack Green Says Falling In London "Still Haunts Him" & He Wouldn't Waste His Time Training If He Thought He Was Going To Be Just "An Extra"
- Oly Stadium Decision Progress: West Ham Soccer Team "Ranked Highest Of The Bids Received" To Take Over Use Of Olympic Stadium, But That Doesn't Mean It's Official They still have financial details to work out, as no one who can decide who's going to pay for the construction to convert the stadium.
- Former US Coach Rana Reider, Who's Now Working For UKA, Says The 4 X 100 Team Will Go Back To Basics And "Having Fun" To Avoid Future Dropped Batons "It's not as complicated as people make it. We just need to have fun and make sure the baton gets round the track."
- LJ Olympic Champ Greg Rutherford Wins East Of England Sports Personality Of The Year Award
*Poll To Vote Between Jessica Ennis, Mo Farah, And Wheelchair Racer David Weird For Overall Award
International XC News
Reigning World Cross-Country Champ Imane Merga And 2012 Berlin Marathon Champ Aberu Kebede Won Sunday's Ethiopan Club XC Titles
European XC Is This Weekend
A Look At Britain's Team For European XC, Which Includes Oklahoma State's 13:15 Man Tom Farrell Women's junior champ Emelia Gorecka is running and will try to defend her crown. The 18-year-old has run 4:15, 8:55 and 15:34.
Men's Preview: Is Spain's Two-Time Runner-Up Ayad Lamdassem The Favorite?
Women's Preview: Portugal's Ana Dulce Felix To Battle Defending Champ Fionnuala Britton For Title
UK Adminstrators In The News
- Does He Not See The Irony? UK Athletics Head Niels de Vos Defends Comments - UK Rowing & Cycling & Sailing Win Thanks To "Technological Doping" Does he not realize that Mo Farah benefits from the very same thing he complains about - having "the financial wherewithal to achieve a level that others can't"?
- Did You Know That The New UK Athletics Performance Director Neil Black Beat Both Seb Coe And Steve Cram In Races?
- Black Was Coached By Former Commonwealth Games Marathon Champ And Still Current Junior World Record Holder Jim Alder
News From Kenya
- This Weekend's 10k In Nairobi Might Be The Biggest 10k (1,000+) In The Capital
- Tegla Loroupe Goes To Part Of Kenya Where 120 Were Killed And 30,000 Displaced To Try To Promote Peace
More Important Administrative News
- There's A Reason Why It Costs A Fortune To Run A Road Race
Hedge Fund, Falchonhead Capital, Sells Competitor Group & Rock 'N' Roll Series Of Races We'd rather see the profit got back into the sport - which is why we'd like to see the NYRR become the USRR and run most races in this country.
*Deal Reportedly For $250 Million
We Guess This Didn't Kill The Sale
14,000 Fewer Sign Up And Rock 'N' Roll Las Vegas Marathon - Men's Race Is Won In 2:32:24
- Great News: Summer Olympic Sports To Receive $450 Million+ - Up From $296 Million And Track (IAAF) Gets The Most Of Any Sport
- WSJ: Insurance Giant Lloyd's & NYRR Involved In Battle As To How Much Lloyd's Will Have To Pay Out For 2012 ING New York CIty Cancellation The good news is that Lloyd's is admitting they'll have to pay out something.
- Telegraph: "Charles van Commenee feels fulfilled after turning British athletes into lions." Let's hope he's very thankful for Mo Farah and Alberto or he'd be viewed as a flop.
Great Idea (Which We Support)
Now Or Never: Cycling Legend Greg LeMond Offers To Serve As Interim Head If UCI Head Pac McQuaid Will Step Down
*AFP On Lemond *BBC On LeMond *The Guardian On LeMond
- 2004 US Women's 4 X 400 Isn't DQed (Yet) For Crystal Cox's Doping The decision has been delayed as the IOC wants to be sure she was doping at the Games.
Lolo Jones Has Survived Her First Bobsled Crash And she even jokes about it: "God is real. I saw him today and he said come back later."
NXN In The Books *Girls Results *Boys Results
Girls: Fayetteville XC Club Wins 7th Straight, Sarah Baxter Repeats Times were super slow
across the board because of the mud. 7 straight national titles is impressive. Alberto Salazar's athlete, Mary Cain, was 2nd. *Results *Race
Boys: Arcadia Of California, Sam Wharton Of Ohio Win Titles The four individual favorites bombed. Edward Cheserek runs next week at Foot Locker finals. The winning time here because of the mud was 17:08. *Results *Race Replay
Foot Locker: Marissa Williams And Benjamin Saarel Win 2012 Foot Locker West Regionals Recap and top results.
- On The Boards: Sarah Baxter just ran the wheels off of 411 1500m runner Mary Cain!
- 17:08? Sam Wharton? Get yourselves together, Nike
- MARY CAIN'S post NXN Interview was directed at Sarah Baxter and her fans!
Assorted US News
- Recommended Read: Two-Time Olympic 800m Medalist Kim Gallagher Remembered 10-Years After Her Death Great look at the life and career of Gallagher and her brother Bart who coached her.
- Ryan Hall Talks About Altitude Vs. Sea Level Training
- Salt Lake City To Announce Today Whether They Will Bid For 2026 Winter Olympics They hosted the 2002 Games amid a scandal where Salt Lake City officials offered cash, college tuition, medical-care payments, jobs, lodging, beds and bedding, bathroom fixtures, Indian rugs, draperies, doorknobs, dogs, leather boots and belts, perfume, Nintendo games, Lego toys, shotguns, a violin, and trips to ski resorts, a holiday in Las Vegas, and a Super Bowl in Miami to make sure they won their bid to host.
- Darvis “Doc” Patton Among New Additions To USATF Board Of Directors
Other US News
- Stephanie Hightower Reelected As USATF President She'll serve a second four-year term.
- RnR LA: RnR Las Vegas Marathon Is Down 14,000 Participants This Year Organizers claim it's not because of all the problems/complaints last year, but because the "novelty has worn off." After one year?
- USATF Jesse Owen Awards Ceremony To Be Broadcast On NBC Sports Network On December 27th From 7-8PM ET We struggle to get decent track coverage on TV, but we air the track and field award show?
- Sad News: Another One Bites The Dust: Georgia State Eliminates Men's XC And Track So they could add women's swimming and diving. They have notable alum in Commonwealth Games bronze medalist Andrew Letherby.
- Arizona's NCAA Runner-Up Stephen Sambu Says He Will Be Focusing On The Roads And The Marathon He recently set the CR at Silicon Valley 5k with 13:28 five days after NCAAs.
USATF Removes Logo Restrictions And Other US News
- USATF Has Removed Sponsor Logo Restrictions On Athlete Uniforms Blogger asks the question, "Okay, so now what?"
- RW Q&A With Ultra Runner Charlie Engle, Who Was Recently Released From Prison After 16 Months Due To Mortgage Fraud Engle: "I ran in the neighborhood of about 7,500 miles, in a circle. I changed directions, but that was it. The path had a small hill it. Going one way it had a short steep uphill, and a long, gradual downhill. Going the other way, it had a long uphill and short, steep downhill.
That was the extent of my choice."
*MB: Badwater runner Charlie Engle is out of prison *Some Stats On Engle
- WSJ: NYC Local Racing Events Find Themselves Overwhelmed By Demand Since The Cancellation Of The NYC Marathon Due To Hurricane Sandy
- USATF Spotlight On High Schooler Who's Racing Half Marathons In All 50 States To Raise Money For Charity He's run 33 so far and raised $35,000.
Some Post-London-Related News
- Kenyan Journalist Who Won IAAF World Journalist Of The Year Award Writes About His "Night Out With Bolt And Barcelona Stars" "Bolt definitely had a potent few drinks and his manager Simms politely requests that I don’t take photos of the legend in 'full party mode,' and I oblige. I soon understand why ..."
- We Disagree: NBC Wins Three Golds For London 2012 Coverage At Olympic Broadcast Awards We feel that the BBC's coverage was way better, however they only won one silver.
- UKA Chief Catches Flack For Saying Other GB Sports Such As Cycling, Rowing And Sailing Win More Medals Because Of Financial/Technological Advantages But he's right. There's way less competition in those sports than track. You don't see Kenyans and Ethiopians on $100,000 sailboats or $10,000 bikes.
- Long Article About Mo Farah With Him Talking About Winning Gold In London, Post-Olympics And The Eventual Move To The Roads "In road running you can have a bad patch and survive. On the track if you have a bad patch and let go of that group, you ain't coming back ... It's completely different. There's no hiding place. Eighty thousand people will see you have a bad day."
- UK 34-Year-Old 4 X 400 Relay Olympian Lee McConnell Says She's Not Ready To Retire But Won't Be Moving To New UKA Base In Loughborough
Drake Relays Gets Huge Sponsorship Boost
- Iowa-Based Supermarket Chain Hy-Vee Pledges More Than Half A Million Dollars Sponsorship Money For The Drake Relays There will be 16 current Olympic medalists and the meet will have $500,000 in prize money and also get 90 minutes in prime time on ESPN2.
- Des Moines Register: Drake Relays Will Stage "London Rematches" With Many London Olympic Medalists Pitted Against Each Other Again The 110H will have all three London medalists in Aries Merritt, Jason Richardson and Hansle Parchment.
- Dawn Harper Says Post-Olympics Feud With Lolo Jones Was Overblown "It was definitely blown up, because I actually cried about it. I was thinking to myself, 'I never meant any harm to anyone.'"
She'll race Kellie Wells At Drake.
Throwing Doping Updates
- Gotta Love Retests: Russia's World Discus Champ And Olympic Silver Medalist Darya Pishchalnikova Tests Positive When Her Sample From May Was Retested She could face a life ban since this is her second offence as she "was among seven leading female Russian athletes found guilty of manipulating drug samples before the 2008 Beijing Olympics."
- Great Q&A With Adam Nelson In Wake Of The News That He Could Be Elevated To 2004 Olympic Gold Due To Blood Sample Retests "My opinion, we're too soft on doping ... We find ourselves making exceptions for people - there's got to be some grey area where shit just happens. But at the end of the day I feel like we're making a lot of exceptions for people who are repeatedly violating the nature of the rule ... They're stealing from everyone in the sport. People like to say it's a victimless crime. Hell, no, it's not."
Millrose Games: Duane Solomon And Nick Symmonds To Go Head-To-Head In Millrose Games 600m They're shooting for the AR from 1987 of 1:15.80 held by Chip Jenkins.
- IAAF With Trinidad And Tobago's Javelin Olympic Champ Keshorn Walcott, Who Won The Rising Star Award He's the youngest ever Olympic javelin gold medallist and the first athlete to win World Junior and Olympic titles in an individual event the same year.
- Finally: Decision On Olympic Stadium Set To Be Made Next Week With Soccer Team West Ham The Likely Primary Tenants
- Notes From USATF In Daytona Beach, Florida With Statements Form Stephanie Hightower And Max Siegel
More About The Rock Being Thrown From Bridge Which Nearly Killed Two U. Oregon Runners
Oregon Runner Involved In Horrific Car Crash, Chris Brewer, Releases Statement - "I am just thankful that
and I are alright. It's really a miracle." "It was just a shock when it happened, like something you see in a movie."
*Track Focus Publishes Photo Of Oregon Runners' Car That Was Destroyed By Rock Thrown From Overpass
MB: Two Oregon Distance Runners Hit By Rock On Freeway
More News From Oregon: Galen Rupp Named USA Track & Field Athlete Of The Week
2012 Euro XC Is This Weekend
- Belgium's Ethiopian-Born Yeshe Bekele Ready To Defend His European XC Title This Weekend We think the 24-year-old has only run 13:43 and 29:47 on the track.
- Athletics: Irish Boss Confident Ill Stars Will Be Fit For Euros
The Closest Things To NYC 2012: CIM And Fukuoka Are This Weekend
Haile G Thinks He Can Run 2:05 Or 2:06 In Fukuoka This Weekend His last marathon was 2:08:17 in Tokyo in February, where he finished 27 seconds behind future Olympic champ Stephen Kiprotich.
*The Trailer Profiles 2:12 Man Jeffrey Eggleston, Who Is Racing His 5th Marathon Of 2012 At CIM This year, he ran a 2:15:41 in March, a 2:14:26 in May, a 2:13:13 in June and a 2:12:03 in October. Now he's going for the CIM CR of 2:10:27.
*Profile On US Marathoner Kelly Calway, Who Ran 2:37 At The Trials But Has Since Taken On A Full-Time Job For The Army, Which Has Made It Harder To Train For CIM "It takes a lot for me to escape for a run when my daughter says, 'You're only mommy on the weekends.' That breaks my heart. But I have to make sure I take that time for myself and get out there and run because that's what keeps me sane."
*Also Sunday: RnR Las Vegas Marathon Hires Outside Contractor To Distribute Water To Runners After Hundreds Were Infected With Stomach Virus After Last Year's Race
- WSJ: Another Scientific Study That Says Running Is Bad For You They say that running is healthy in the short term, but that chronically running too much or too fast (they say more than 20-25 miles a week or faster than 8 miles/hour) could eventually kill you. However, many disagree.
- Another Study Finds That Being Physically Fit Prevents Brain Atrophy And Wards Off Dementia So would you rather die a fit, fast and sane 80-year-old or live to be 90, fat, slow and losing your mind?
Odd But Interesting
- Did You Know?
At 1st World XC In 1973, Irish Protesters (Terrorists?) Stormed The Course, Tackled & Punched Runners Before Runners Punched Back & Kept Running Apparently they were upset there were two Irish teams.
- Japan Running News Head Brett Larner Is Irate That His Work Has Been Plagiarized By Flotrack LetsRun seems to be one of the few websites in the world that isn't afraid to properly attribute.
In Case You Were Gone Over the Weekend: IAAF Gala Awarding Athlete Of Year And Celebrating 100 Years Of IAAF
Usain Bolt, Allyson Felix: 2012 IAAF Athletes Of The Year Bolt won out over Aries Merritt and David Rudisha and of course Mo Farah (who was not a finalist, which means he didn't finish in the top 3). Jessica Ennis and Valerie Adams were the other women's finalists. LRC cast its ballot for Rudisha and Felix. The IAAF should release the vote tallies.
- Rudisha Says He Thought He Could Have Run 1:40.50 This Year
- No Long Jump, 400m For Bolt In 2013
- Tirunesh Dibaba Says She No Longer Thinks of Breaking 10k World Record
- Aries Merritt Has Changed His Pin Codes Hoping To Go Sub-12.80
- World Champs Stadium Seating In Moscow Will Be Diminished From 80,000 To 50,000
Thanksgiving Day Action
And To Think, Unlike Lance, He's Actually Clean
Unbelievable 4 Months After Nearly Dying In Bike Crash, Lukas V Runs 5:25 Pace For 2.5 Miles The phenom who went sub-4 in HS is truly thankful to be second in his age group. *MB Thread On Lukas V's Comeback
Chiba Ekiden: Galen Rupp Wins His Leg With 28:20 10k Split (28:46 Was 2nd) As Kenya Edges Japan The most impressive running by a male may have come from New Zealand's Zane Robertson, who ran 13:29 on leg #1. His twin Jake also won his leg. *MB: On Chiba Ekiden
The Greatest Feat In HS XC History?
Recommended Read: With State Meet Saturday, NJ MOC Wednesday & NXN Saturday, CBA Sits Top 5 - Runs JV - And Still Wins New Jersey Meet Of Champs Three sophomores, two freshman, a junior and a senior pulled off one of the most remarkable feats in HS XC history.
This Bud's Not For You
Man Who Threw Heineken Bottle At Start Of Olympic 100m Final Is Out Of Mental Hospital & Will Stand Trial In January
34-Year-Old Father Admits He Threw It But Is Denying Charge - Only Question Is His Mental State At Time
We Are Thankful For The Many Great Coaches Out There
Recommended Read: Famed Coach Bill Squires Is Turning 80 & Toni Reavis Celebrates His Life Squires is a legend to many. Squires: "Oh, I can figure out anyone. I
figured out Shorter. I know your tendencies. I know what you do. And all you have to do is put it into reading, or whatever, and I
can do - I can!"
Jessica Ennis' Coach Is Thankful For Jessica Ennis
RR: Profile Of Toni Minichiello, The Man Who Coached Jessica Ennis To Olympic Gold We love this guy's humility. "I don't have a magic wand like Harry Potter. The truth is, as a coach you're only as good as the material you're given. The day I met Jessica Ennis it was like being dealt four aces in a hand of poker." ... and on having to re-apply for his job: "If I don't get my old job back I'll just have to go back to an office and come down here coaching as a volunteer. I'm not giving this up now."
*Minichiello Named UK Athletics Coach Of The Year
Yet Another Great Dies Too Young
Former 10k WR Holder Joseph Kimani Has Died At Age 40 The former road superstar
took down the world's best in the
10k by a ridiculous 30 seconds in the summer of 1996 as he ran a still unthinkable 27:04 at Peachtree. He won
virtually every big road race in the US at least once, also set a 12k WR, and is still the CR holder at Boilermaker.
More: *LRC MB Remembrances of Kimani
*RRW Article On Kimani
US News: Lolo Jones Wins Bobsled World Cup Silver Medal
- Lolo Jones' Team Wins Silver At Bobsled World Cup Tianna Madison and her partner took bronze. Jones said, "I'm kind of in shock."
*Videos Of Lolo Jones And Tianna Madison In Bobsled Action
Post-Collegiate XC News Never Gets Old In Our Minds *LRC Photo Gallery *Banquet Photos *Men's Results *Women's Results *LRC Women's Recap *LRC Men's Recap *LRC M Individual Recap
1st Place Pub:
*Great Q&A With OK State's 13:15 #2 Man Tom Farrell He admits #1 man Girma Mecheso ran more aggressively than planned. Farrell has his own blog here, which we just found.
*After XC Crown, Oregon Women Are Dreaming Of Becoming First Women's Program To Win Triple Crown Only the UTEP men (3 times) and Arkansas men (5 times) have ever done it.
*Kithuka Embraced Underdog Role At NCAAs The article reveals what we'd heard - TTech coach Jon Murray IDed Kithuka 5 years ago in Kenya and had him placed at Wayland Bapist.
Previous Post-NCAAs Reactions
*Wisco Men Not Upset With 2nd
*OSU's 5th Man Shane Moskowitz: "It was definitely the best day of my life. For sure."
*ISU's Corey Ihmels Full Of Praise For Indivual Champ Betsy Saina: "Her life revolves around being as good as she can be and it showed ... She's a great athlete but she's just as great of a person."
*Colorado Women Had Worst Showing In School History (28th) - But Coach Wetmore Is Excited As Everyone Returns For 2012 Included in the returners is Olympian Shalaya Kipp, who will be looking to become Colorado's 1st 4-time XC women's All-American.
*NCAA Cross-Country Champs Stat Facts
Mixed Day For FSU: FSU's #1-Ranked Women Finish 4th But #18 Men Finish 5th
Oregon Reacts Differently To Scoring Mishap:
*Oregon's Asst. Coach: "That was bush league. I had to walk back into a tent and tell seven girls that they didn't win."
*Oregon Runner: "It was kind of a shock when they said we didn't win, but now, we're good."
Recommended Read: Toni Reavis Fondly Remembers The Great Joseph Kimani Especially Kimani's amazing CR run in Cleveland, where Kimani ran so fast that Reavis while doing TV thought the mile markers were likely misplaced.
NCAAs Are In The Books *Men's Results *Women's Results *LRC Photo Gallery updated 258 photos *Live Thread
LRC Oregon Wins NCAA Title As Betsy Saina Outkicks Hasay Confusion reigned supreme
with the team results as Oregon was the winner, then Providence, but eventually
once it was all sorted out the Oregon Ducks had a convincing NCAA championship over Providence. There was no confusion on the individual side as Betsy Saina outkicked Jordan Hasay and Abbey D'Agostino for the win.
*Full Results *Photo Gallery
NCAAs On The Boards:
- Kennedy Kithuka What's His Story
- Jordan Hasay Even Though She Lost I Commend Her
- Congrats to Oklahoma State and Dave Smith
- Who is the most successful US runner to never win an NCAA title?
- So WTF happened what was the offical word on the Women race
- Biggest Chokes at NCAA XC Nationals
- People who think this isnt bad for the sport are in flat out DENIAL
Weekend Action *Full USATF Club XC Results *Zatopek Results
Honolulu Marathon Sunday: Big Money (and Wilson Kipsang) on the Line at Sunday's Honolulu Marathon
On the boards: Is Wilson Kipsang the #1 Marathoner in the worldin 2012 regardless of what happens in Honolulu?
USATF Club Nationals: Hansons-Brooks Distance Project's Jacob Riley And Boulder Running Company's Mattie Suver Win Club XC Titles Hansons-Brooks men and Team USA Minnesota women won the team titles. On the men's side, brothers Craig and Matthew Forys were third and fourth.
*Team USA Minnesota Press Release
*USATF Club XC Recap
*More Results/Discussion In this Thread
Zatopek 10k: Neely Spence Runs 32:16 In 10,000 Debut As Ben St. Lawrence Tries To Run With Emmanuel Bett But Bett Wins By 36+ Seconds Difficult conditions made the times slow (27:59 for the men's win). *2012 Zatopek Results *IAAF Recap *Photos *Discuss
European XC Champs: Defending Champ Fionnuala Britton's Coach: "I want her to be aggressive and make them hurt and when she moves I would like to see her make them suffer and spare nothing." She faces competition in Ethiopian Almensch Belete who was only cleared to run for Belgium last June.
*Irish XC Team Including Britton Forced To Change Travel Plans As Budapest Airport Was Shut Down With Electrical Problems
*Euro XC Pre-Race Press Conference Highlights
Other Weekend Results: World Half Marathon bronze Medallist John Mwangangi And Pauline Njeru Win 15Km race honours during Safaricom Imenti South Road Race 15k Patrick Makau was present and said he was preparing for London 2013, but decided to offer himself for team selection to the Kenyan Moscow 2013 team instead.
*Lawi Lalang Opens Indoor Season With A 3-Race Workout He won the 1,000m (2:30.16), 600m (1:22.18) and 3000m (8:51.09).
*USATF: Junior Olympic Cross Country Champions Crowned in Albuquerque
European/Asian News: There Will Be A "European Olympics" In 2015 But Might Not Have Track
- The First "European Olympics" Set To Be Held In Baku In 2015 The competition is similar to the Asian or Pan-American Games and will happen every 4 years with about15 sports.
*However At This Point It Won't Include Track And Field The EAAhave already voted against the participation.
*Director General of European Athletics Says 2015 Is Probably Too Soon For Track To Participate And Might Join In 2019 They already have too many track championships with European Outdoor Champs in 2012, 2014 and 2016, European Team Championships and European Indoor Championships in 2015.
- Russia's Olympic Women's Discus Silver Medallist Darya Pishchalnikova Suspended After Failing Doping Test Prior To The Games
- Recommended Read: Long Article On Mo Farah Who Talks About How He Got Serious About Running And Having To Leave His Wife On Their Honeymoon To Go Run In Kenya "Well, I hadn't trained for a week. I'm like, 'We've already had our honeymoon, we've had time to rest. I've got to get back training.' Then I just left her in Nairobi."
- Also A Good Read: GB Three Time Olympian Ron Hill Has Ran Everyday For 48 Years He's ran 157,000 miles which apparently is over 6 times around the world and more than halfway to the moon. Hill said, "Why should I stop? It keeps me fit. It does me good, health-wise. What's the reason to stop?'"
- European Olympic Committee Puts Itself At Odds With IOC Ethics Commission As It Decides To Support The Officials Involved In Olympic Ticket Scandal The IOC Ethics Commission recommended that sanctions be taken against the officials who were caught trying to sell tickets on the black market.
- Liu Xiang Expected To Return To Training In June
- Rome Mayor Says They WIll Bid For 2024 Olympics
- Holly Bleasdale Hopes That Making The Move To Arizona To Train With Her New Coach Dan Pfaff Will Help End Her "Up and Down" Performances
- Sydney 2000 Heptathlon Olympic Champ Denise Lewis Says She Thinks Jessica Ennis Can Win Again In 2016 That's if she actually competes though as she's talked about switching to the 100m hurdles in the future.
Recommended Read: Emil Zatopek - An Incredible Runner (4 Olympic Golds), But An Even Better Man You may know about his legendary workouts like 60 x 400 in army boots but may not know he was a very kind man.
3:37.23 Man Ben Blankenship Is On Comeback
Now As Part Of OTC Has a 3:37/3:54 collegiate miler ever gotten less pub than this guy? He was the 3k
runner-up to Heath in 2011.
Despite Gold & WR, David Rudisha Still Dreaming Big On & Off Track He wants another Olympic title in 4 years and hopes the youth are used to promote peace in Kenya, instead of being used as props by politicians. "One would say I have it all ... a World title, Olympic title and the world record but I always have something to motivate me."
LRC The Week That Was: November 26 - December 2, 2012 This week we start with praise for Bill Aris, who has built the greatest dynasty in US cross-country history. We then tell you why the 2012 Fukuoka Marathon will be remembered for what didn't happen rather than what did. Along the way we talk about 10 greatest half marathoners in history and wonder if anyone running more than 25 mpw or faster than 7:30 miles is killing themselves. Plus talk of Adam Nelson, Haile G, Paula Radcliffe and Martin Lel.
Some Of The Few Remaining Track & Field Journalists Weigh In On Adam Nelson
US Marathon News
- Twin Cities Marathon Named As Site For 2013 & 2014 US Marathon Championships They will also host the US 1 Mile Road Championships in 2015 and 2016.
- NYRR May Get $10 Million Or $15 Million From Event Insurance
- 2:11 Man Nick Arciniaga Blogs On His 5th Place Finish At The Rainy/Windy Cal International Marathon Last Weekend
- Extensive Q&A With Marathon Trials 21st Placer Jeanette Faber, Who Has PRed In 13 Marathons Straight She ran 2:32:38 to win TCM but is looking ahead to sub-2:30 and faster.
Other US News
- When Minimalism Goes Too Far: Springfield, Massachusetts Police Chasing Naked Runner The man has been reported running naked through city streets on at least 3 occasions, but the police haven't been able to find him.
- University Of Richmond Students Protest Cutting Of Men's Track
- US 400 Runner Manteo Mitchell, Who Broke His Leg During Olympic Relay, Awarded USATF Elite Athlete Development Grant www.usatf.org
US News: Adam Nelson On His Way To Becoming An Olympic Champion
- Good News: 4 Throwers From 2004 Athens Olympics Officially Stripped Of Their Medals After Doping Retests *2nd Article
- Which Means ... Q&A With Adam Nelson, Who Stands To Be Upgraded To Gold After Official IOC Announcement Stripping Yuriy Bilonog Of His Medal "To be honest, it feels really strange and it's a weird feeling. I've heard the rumors before and have not given the rumors much credit until an official ruling. Now that it's happened I'm excited. It is all just sinking in. You know, I feel I excited as I did to not lose that event [in 2004]; I was second on a tie-breaker. I feel good that I will always be the person who threw farthest on that day."
- Bernard Lagat Will Race Cam Levins & Lawli Lalang While Trying To Take Back His American 2-Mile Record From Galen Rupp At This Year's Millrose Games The record is now at 8:09.72, while Lagat's previous mark was 8:10.07. Ryan Hill is also in the race.
- Good Q&A With 2008 Olympic Marathon Trials 5th Placer Tera Moody, Who Plans To Start Her Comeback At Houston Marathon After A Year Off For Injury She'll be running the Rudolph Ramble 8-K in Chicago on Sunday, which she says is a low-key race with no prize money.
- It's Official: Standards Tightened For The 2016 US Olympic Marathon Trials 2:15 is the "A" for the men while 2:18 or a 1:05 half are the "B." For The women the "A" is 2:37 while the "B" is 1:15.
- New USATF Logo Rule Won't Change Much For Athletes Since Most Bigger Races Are Still Restricted By Stricter IAAF Rules The one real opportunity they gain is US Championship meets that aren't Olympic Trials.
- Ridiculous: Marathon Race Director Blames Runners For Not Knowing The Course After Course Marshals Direct Them The Wrong Way And They Run An Extra 3k They ran an extra 1k in the half, too.
- After Previously Planning On Running As A Grad Student For Georgetown, Emily Infeld Changed Gears And Has Joined Jerry Schumacher's Group At The OTC
- Daniel Tapia Named USATF Athlete Of The Week For His CIM Win "I couldn't believe it. Even as I was getting close to the finish line and I was turning onto ninth street, I looked back and I couldn't believe that [Tesfaye] Alemayehu wasn't with me."
A US Olympics?
- Salt Lake City Announces Bid For 2026 Winter Olympics New York Times
USA Today: Salt Lake City Faces Uphill Climb To Hosting 2026 Olympics First the USOC has to decide if they even want to bid for the 2026 Winter Games or if they would prefer to bid for the 2024 Summer Games. Then Salt Lake City would still face competition in Reno-Tahoe and Denver to win US bid.
Cycling: IOC Still Wants Armstrong's Olympic Medal Back
- IOC Delays Decision On Whether Or Not To Strip Him Of His Olympic Bronze Medal They say they definitely plan to, but have to wait until the UCI "formally notifies" him that they're stripping him of all his titles/results.
- Don't Hold Your Breath: UCI President Pat McQuaid Insists He Will Build A "Bright Future" For The Sport
- Paul Kimmage Hints That Lance Armstrong May Eventually Confess To Doping And There Are Rumors Of A Book Called "It Is About The Bike"
- Book Reviews: "The Secret Race" Wins: Book That Exposed Doping In Cycling Wins Sports Book Of The Year Award For Third Time In Five Years Also "The Dirtiest Race in History," which is a book on Carl Lewis and Ben Johnson at the Seoul Olympics.
Stephanie Rothstein Bruce Ready For Heat & Humidity Of 2012 Honolulu Marathon After a DNF at the Trials, the 2:29 performer is hoping to re-start her marathoning career by becoming
the first female American winner since 1988.
Sad News: France's Shot Put Record Holder Yves Niare Has Died At 35 In A Car Crash *More On Niare
Odd But True
- Runner In NY Takes Break From 5 Mile Run To Save Man From Suicide Attempt - Then Puts Headphones In & Resumes Run
- Allyson Felix & Jeneba Tarmoh, Move Over - Ben Bruce & Joe Gray Tie For 2012 XTERRA Trail Run World Championship
- After Disappointing Fukuoka, Japan's Amateur Ace Yuki Kawauchi Makes Changes - He Says He Will Attend Japanese Federation Training Camp & Run Lake Biwa, Not Tokyo, This Spring
- Humility A Lost Virtue As Part Of Its 100th Year Anniversary Celebrations, IAAF Produces 430-Page Book On Its Own Great Contributions To The Sport The IAAF has produced a monumental book reviewing the international governing body's contribution to the sport and explores many different aspects of international athletics.
The World Is A Corrupt Place - Doping/Corruption News
- A Must Read For Anti-Dopers: Paul Kimmage - The One Man Who Seemingly Has Always Tried To Clean Up Doping In Cyling - Gives An In-Depth Interview On Lance Armstrong, he says, "That would be my view - fantastic bike rider, but not a Tour winner. I would say no: He would not have won a Tour without doping." LetsRun tweeted that quote to Lance. He also reveals what it was like to discover his Irish heroes were dopers as well.
- Important News IAAF Wins 1st Case At Court Of Arbitration For Sport Involving Biological Passport Thanks to the biological passport, the IAAF was able to show repeated doping, which nets a 4-year ban.
*Reuters: Greek distance runner Irini Kokkinariou ban is doubled after IAAF appeal
- India Suspended By IOC For Corruption India's unopposed secretary general just got out of jail for Commonwealth Games corruption.
- IOC Warns Rio - Get Your Act Together - Olympics Will Be Here Soon
- Irish Sailor Peter O'Leary Doesn't Get Banned From Olympics Even Though He Made Nearly $5,000 Betting On Someone Else To Win The Olympics
News From Down Under
Sad News: Two-Time Foot Locker Finalist Arrested For Murder Eric Kweder, who has popped up in a number of threads over the years, was 9th in 1995 as an 11th grader - one spot ahead of eventual Olympian Jonathan Riley.
Gebrselassie's, Mathathi's And Kawauchi's Post-Fukuoka Comments Geb still wants to compete, the 2007 WC bronze winner Mathathi wants to
give up on the marathon and Kawauchi wants to start training with collegians.
After DNF At Fukuoka, Japan's 2:09:23 Guy Satoshi Irifune Retries At Age 36
More News From Japan:
Japan's Collegiate 5,000 And 10,000 Champ Enock Omwamba Of Kenya Runs 46:05 To Win World's Most Competitive 10-Miler An incredible 81 guys broke 50:00.
2012 Was The Deepest Elite Marathon Year Ever Eleven men under 2:05, six women under 2:20 are records.
Former 10,000, 13.1 & Marathon WR Holder Paul Tergat Named A Johnnie Walker Giant Johnnie Walker's whiskey hall of fame shares and celebrates the life stories of some of the world’s most inspirational men through the global "Walk With Giants" campaign. It's sort of perfectly scripted that Tergat got into the group just a little bit after Haile G.
Going Out On Top
Four-Time Ironman Triathlon World Champion, Chrissie Wellington, Has Retired At The Age Of 35 She only started at age 29 and was never beaten.
*Wellington's Statement From Her Website
*Wellington Had Her Battles With Anorexia And Bulimia
Weekend Results: Fukuoka Marathon: Results *Cal International: Flash Results *RnR LA Results Here
- Fukuoka: Joseph Gitau Is The Surprise Winner In Fukuoka In 2:06:58 Hiroyuki Horibata was the top Japanese runner in 2:08:24 as Poland's Henryk Szost was 3rd (2:08:42), Arata Fujiwara 4th and
the topsecond Japanese (2:09:31), and Yuki Kawauchi 6th (2:10:29). Mohamed Trafeh led for the US in 7th (2:11:41) over Ryan Vail (8th - 2:11:45) and Tim Nelson 12th (2:14:09). Haile Gebrselassie, Simon Bairu, Martin Mathathi and Brent Vaughn were all DNFs. *Full Results
- Haile G Tweets About His DNF At Fukuoka He says he had a leg cramp and couldn't lift it. But he'll be looking for another marathon to run because he feels he's in "good shape."
- IAAF Recap Gitau was a huge surprise winner has his PR before this race was 2:21:54. Geb dropped out at 32k while Mathathi made it to 38k.
- MB: Mo Trafeh, Ryan Vail 2:11:4x at Fukuoka *Official
Fukuoka Marathon thread along with working link *Coach Jerry
fails in Marathon again
- CIM: Daniel Tapia And Alisha Williams Win CIM In Horrible Wet And Windy Conditions Tapia is the first American winner since 1993 and won with 2:16:30 over Tesfaye Alemayehu (2:17:07). 2:11 man Nick Arciniaga was 5th in 2:18:37. In the women's race Williams beat out Clara Peterson 2:34:58 to 2:35:36. *Full Results
- Video Interview With Danny Tapia *Interview With Alisha Williams She thanks the "awesome guys" who let her and Peterson sit behind them for large portions of the race.
- MB: **OFFICIAL
CIM THREAD** *CIM - 35 mph
- Dutch 15k: Geoffrey Mutai Sets CR At Heereenberg 15k In The Netherlands With 42:25 (4:33/ Mile Pace) Mutai beat a deep field including Philip Langat (a close 2nd in 42:26), 2:04:50 man Getu Feleke (3rd) and 2:04:16 marathoner David Kimetto (6th). Ethiopian Atsede Baysa won the women's race in 49:15.
*Good Race Video Of Geoffrey Mutai Winning Netherlands 15k (Commentary In Dutch) Skip to 2:29 into video for race coverage.
- Kenya: Wareng Tuskys Cross-Country In Eldoret: 2010 World XC Jr. 8th Placer Gideon Kipketer And Stacy Ndiwa Get Their First Senior Victories It was a fairly credentialed men's field which included reigning African XC champ Clement Langat (2nd), 2007 World Cross silver medalist Bernard Kipyego (6th) and 2010 World XC champ Joseph Ebuya (way back).
- Former Women's World Marathon Record Holder Tegla Loroupe And Daniel Komen Among Organizers Of Safaricom Tegla Loroupe Peace Race To Promote Peace Between Warring Communities Samuel Macharia just edged John Keter in the men's 10K race as Catherine Moses won the women's 5k.
- Singapore: Kenyans Kennedy Kiptoo Lilan And Irene Jerotich Kosgei Win Singapore Marathon In 2:17:21 And 2:37:54 Respectively Both races were close, with Kiptoo winning by only 5 seconds over Luke Kibet and Kosgei by 3 seconds over Flomena Cheyech Daniel.
- Jamaica: Jamaican Reggae Marathon Won In 2:35 For Men, 3:09 For Women
Random International Stuff
- Semi-Comical Video Interview With Jake And Zane Robertson
*2nd Video Interview
- Kenyan Steepler Paul Kipsiele Koech Honored For His Charity Work With Corporate Social Responsibility Award
- India In Danger Of Being Suspended By IOC Due To Corruption In Indian Olympic Association Elections
- Lolo Isn't The Only One: Former Double World 400m Hurdle Champ Jana Pittman Trying To Make Australia Bobsled Team For 2014 Games
- Cycling: Former 3-Time Tour De France Winner Greg LeMond Calls For UCI To Be Stripped Of Doping Control Responsibilities
International News Of Note
- Recommended Read: Update On Twin NZ Runners Jake And Zane Robertson, Who Moved To Kenya On Their Own At 17 Years Old To Pursue Their Running Dreams Zane: "Without Jake I wouldn't have survived. I would have given up. Having each other, when the other one was sick or down, you raise him up. In the concrete cell that kept us going. ... I'm so thankful we went through those hardships for one or two years, because going through them, the way Kenyans do, if you survive you can go through anything."
- NZ Questioning Why The Delay Over Reviewing The Ban Of Disgraced Olympic Shot Putter Nadzeya Ostapchuk Belarus only gave her a one-year ban, so hypothetically she could compete in Moscow 2013 if IAAF doesn't step in and do something.
- David Rudisha Named Athletics Kenya Athlete Of The Year
- Jamaican Sub-10 Sprinter Michael Frater's Election To Vice President Post Of Jamaica Athletics Administrative Association Complicates His Status With MVP Track Club Head coach Stephen Francis has a problem with it because he says the JAAA is out to "sabotage" them.
- Ireland Hoping That Their Prep Star Sarah McCarthy Could One Day Be The Next Jessica Ennis
- 101-Year-Old Marathoner Fauja Singh Running Singapore Half Marathon Show this one to the scientists featured in the WSJ who said running too much will eventually kill you.
Fukuoka/CIM Pre-Race News
- Fukuoka: Japan Running News Fukuoka Marathon Preview The field features Haile Gebrselassie, the debut of Martin Mathathi, and many runners from cancelled NYC, including Scott Overall and Simon Bairu. Americans include Ryan Vail, Mohamed Trafeh (will he finish?), Brent Vaughn, Tim Nelson and Ryan Bak. The race also serves as a selection race for Japan's
World Champs team and
could lead to a showdown between Olympian Arata Fujiwara and LRC civil servant hero Yuki Kawauchi.
*IAAF: Haile G's First Marathon In Almost A Year And Martin Mathathi's Debut The Focus In Fukuoka
- Fukuoka Pre-Race Press Conference: Yuki Kawauchi And Arata Fujiwara Fire Shots At Each Other Before They Duke It Out For Japan World Champs Team Spot Kawauchi: "I have no intention of losing. When [Arata and I] trained together I didn't see anything that made me feel he's any better than me."
- CIM: Wet And Windy Weather In The Forecast For Cal International Marathon Tomorrow
- Scottish McMillan Runner Andrew Lemoncello Motivated By Impending Fatherhood As He Races CIM Tomorrow After Coming Back From Injury He's off UK lottery funding, so there is some pressure to perform.
Doping News: Kenya Not Doing Anything About Investigating German Journalist's Allegations
- WADA Frustrated As Kenya Sport Authorities Stall On Promises To Investigate Doping Allegations Made Against Kenya Runners But AK chairman Isaiah Kiplagat has already said, "It's not possible to beat Kenyans who train even ten times a day as compared to other foreign athletes who train once a day ... We have nothing to do with drugs we simply work hard. For the doubting Thomases, you can look at Kenya's athletic performance since 1960s before making malicious conclusions." That's really not good enough for WADA?
- Former Olympic Hurdle Champion Sally Gunnell Believe Four-Year Doping Bans Aren't Enough "I've always had strong views about a life ban. I think the two years was never deterring enough. People think it's worth the gamble because they'll only miss the two years and can come back ... in those two years they can go away, train hard and come back out a better athlete."
- World XC Champ Imane Merga & World 5,000 Silver Medalist Sylvia Kibet Headline BOClassic 10k/5k In Bolzano, Italy On New Year's Eve IAAF
- Minimalism To The Max: NZ Court Rules That "Naturalist" Runner Is Allowed To Run Nude
- Comrades Marathon Fills Up With 18,000 Entries
Previous CIM/Fukuoka News
- Fukuoka: Martin Lel Withdraws From Fukuoka Due To Injury
- Ridiculous: Yuki Kawauchi Will Race Hofu Yomiuri Marathon 14 Days After Fukuoka Last year he ran 2:09:57 for 3rd in Fukuoka and then 2:12:33 for 3nd in Hofu.
- RR: Interesting Q&A With Japan's Arata Fujiwara On How He Has Essentially Crammed All His Training For Fukuoka In Over The Last Month "I think the way I train is outside common sense. It's really chaotic and mixed-up. I'm doing some kind of workout (the kind of high-intensity training normally done two or three times a week) probably every day ... When there's not enough time to get ready for a race and I'm standing there with my back against the wall thinking, "Oh man, this looks bad ..." and I'm forced to make radical changes to the way I train ... that's when I tend to get my best results."
- CIM: Q&A With Olympic Marathon Trials 14th Placer And 10k Trails 5th Placer Alisha Williams Ahead Of Cal International Marathon She ran 2:35:09 in her debut at the Trials.
- Clara Peterson Will Be Running Her Second Marathon At CIM After Debuting At The Trials With 2:35:50 (16th Place), Only 8 Months After Giving Birth She's coached by 2008 Olympic marathoner Magdalena Lewy-Boulet.
- Nick Arciniaga Says He "Screwed Himself Over Dietarily" When He DNFed In The Hot Boston Marathon After Taking Too Much Fluids In The First 15k After Boston, he really wants a good one from CIM and says he'd like to get the 2:10 CR, but the time is secondary to winning.
*With NYC Cancelled, 2:11 Man Nick Arciniaga Is Running Cal International This Weekend Along With Alisha Williams Arciniaga wasn't feeling good about his prospects until he did a 29:29/14:39 Tukey Trot double.
Random But Interesting
- RW Article Rebutting Claims Made By WSJ Article That Running Too Far/Fast Will Eventually Kill You Basically the WSJ article is mostly BS. Keep running.
*MB: Wall St. Journal says running 20+ mpw is detrimental to one's health
- Oklahoma Woman Attacked By Raccoon During Run
- Lebanese Inventor Designs Human Hampster Wheel For Energy It's exactly how it sounds.
Can You Say P-L-A-C-E-B-O? Kinesio Taping Doesn't Improve Blood Flow
Lance Armstrong News
- IOC Board Member Says Lance Armstrong Should Be Stripped Of His Olympic Bronze Medal Even Though Technically The IOC Does Not Have The Right To Take It Away
- Gym In Lance Armstrong's Home Town Erases His Name, Pretends He Never Existed A gym in Colorado is also taking down his name.
- Proof That Hollywood Has No Morals
Backers Say Lance Armstrong Movie Is Still Full Steam Ahead and Will Be Made
*Matt Damon On Lance Armstrong: "I love the guy."
News From The UK
- RR: Depating Coach Charles van Commenee Talks About His Legacy: "I got rid of cynicism in UK athletics." "People have high expectations. The athletes understand there is no place for excuse."
- van Commennee Talks About Phillips Idowu "But people who do not want to be happy, you cannot help. As a leader you cannot help people who are self-destructive either ... I think I've said enough."
- van Commennee Says His Successors Will Have It "Very Easy" Thanks To His Great Work
- UK Cycling (Which Track Is Trying To Copy) Not Sure If New Training Center In Loughborough Will Work For Track "You've got such a diverse set of events, do you need your pole vaulter with your hammer thrower? Who knows? It's not for us to tell athletics what to do."
- Seb Coe Joins Britian's Top Politicians In Urging Prime Minister David Cameron Against Imposing Any State Regulation On Newspapers
- Jessica Ennis' Coach Says She Can Win Two More Olympic Golds
- After Injury Plagued 2012, Steph Twell Will Be Patient In Comeback In 2013 - Goal Is 2014 Commonwealths In Scotland She had all of the metal pins and plates taken out of her leg and is very happy with the decision.
5 Silvers Is Way Too Many; Let's Hope He Gets Olympic Gold #1
MB 2004 Olympic Shot Put Champ Yuriy Bilonoh Has Tested Positive In IOC's Re-Test Of 2004 Olympic Samples - Adam Nelson May Be Elevated To Olympic Gold
When Nelson failed
to make the Olympic team in June, we assumed the two-time Olympic silver medallist would never realize his dream of Olympic gold since he's 37. We guess we were wrong.
*If Nelson Gets SP Gold, He'll Be The First Ivy League Olympic Champion Since Frank Shorter
*Russian Shot Putter Svetlana Krivelyova Among Athletes Whose 2004 Olympic Samples Tested Positive; She Could Now Lose Her Bronze Medal Krivelyova: "I'll just tell them to go to hell If they come and ask for my medal ... I'm not going to give my medal back. You can count on it."
*IOC To Hold Hearings Early Next Month For 5 Busted In 2004 Re-Tests - US's Adam Nelson May Be Elevated To Gold
Future Legend? Yohan Blake Explains His Really Gross Long Nails He says it's all "part of the Beast look."
Say It Ain't So
Paula Radcliffe Admits Foot Injury May Have Ended Her Career As An Elite Runner For Good
Her most recent surgery
resulted in 10 weeks of total immobilisation and
the rehab may take 8 months, so 2013 Worlds is out. But she's not a quitter and she's hoping London 2014 is in and then the Commonwealths.
*Just To Run With My Kids Would Be Enough, Admits Radcliffe After Triple Operation
- More Updated News From The UK:
- IAAF Profile UK's World Jr. Heptathlon Champion Katarina Johnson-Thompson Who Came Back From A 2-Year Knee Injury To Win WJ's & Place 15th In London "It made getting to the Olympic Games all the sweeter - I never took making the Games for granted, it was a dream I had but it was more for the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio, but with it being in London, I put my heart and soul into qualifying for it."
- British Cycling Head Warns UK Athletics That Their New Loughborough Base Might Have Some Pitfalls Many of the top athletes such as Jessica Ennis, Mo Farah, Greg Rutherford, Christine Ohuruogu and Adam Gemili won't actually be training there.
- New UK Athletics Performance Director Neil Black Names 5 Coaches To Be Based At Elite Loughborough Hub As Part Of Restructuring Plans Americans Rana Reider and Terrence Mahon make the cut.
- Trying To Copy UK Cycling, UK Sport Invests £720,000 In Team GB Coaches To Boost 2016 Olympic Hopes To get cycling's success, they'll have to get rid of the worldwide competition found in track and field. It helps a great deal when whole continents don't really do your sport.
- UK Sport To Pay Each Coach £20,000 Per Person Per Year In Effort To Turn Those Selected Into Future Leaders In Their Disciplines UK Athletics to pay more after that.
Love For DIII And An "Overaged" Collegian - DIII Women's National Champ Is A 27-Year-Old Mother Of Two
27-Year-Old Mother Of Two & DIII National Cross-Country Champion, Christy Cazzola, Named USATF Athlete Of The Week
*Nov 17: Mike Woods Column: In life and running, Cazzola staying ahead
*Running Times Profile Of Cazzola From Sept. Cazzola was a the Wisconsin 800 state champ in 9th grader in 2000 and then walked away form it all and had a kid. She ran the 2008 XC Nats while pregnant with kid #2.
*Mike Woods DIII Race Story On Cazzola: Cazzola Wins DIII Title
*2012 NCAA XC D3 Photo Gallery
Track And Field's Male Fans Are Thankful For This
Fit Again & Recovered From Achilles Surgery & Bacterial Infection, Blanka Vlasic Is Ready To Compete Again
Ladies 2012 New York City Marathon - Or At Least As Close As We Are Going To Get To It
Yokohama: Lydia Cheromei Wins With 2:23:07 CR As Kim Smith (2:27:35), Amy Hastings (DNF) And Jo Pavey (DNF) Disappoint Smith's PR remains 2:25:21 from her debut in London
2010. Her teammate Amy Hastings was a DNF. Serena Burla was 11th. MB: Live
Thread on Yokohama Non-NCAA Weekend News
JRN Recap: Mizuho Nasukawa Was Top Japanese In 2:26:42
*Kiwi Kim Smith Finishes Sixth
Pre-Race: Pavey Was Adamant She Could PR (2:28:24)
Seven Hills Loop 15k: MB: Tirunesh Dibaba Destroys Olympic Marathon Champ Tiki Gelana - 47:08 To 48:09 - At Seven Hills Loop 15km *Video Highlights In Dutch
*IAAF Recap: Nicholas Kipkemboi Upset Men's 15k WR Holder Leonard Komon In Men's Race
Recommended Reads And Seb Coe News
- Recommended Read: Having Recently Won $500,000 WMM Title, Geoffrey Mutai Hasn't Forgot His Poor Upbringing & Remembers How He Borrowed Money To Run 2007 Kass Marathon This year's edition of the race is this year and Mutai says the winner will be able to get top 3 in Boston.
- Recommended Read: Brothers Futsum Zienasellassie And Bahlbi Gebreyohanns Talk About Being Separated & Now Reunited Again At NAU
2012 Foot Locker Boys Photo Gallery
2012 Foot Locker Legends Pre-Race Photo Gallery
Sports That Are For People Who Can't Cut It In Track: 1) Bobsled 2) Triathlon
After Failing To Make 2012 Olympic Sprint Team, Craig Pickering Is Now Focusing On Boblsed Pickering is a European indoor 60 silver medallist, so he's
perfectly suited for the bobsled.
Pickering: Decision Is For The Long Term
Senior Men's European Preview
More UK News: A Report From The London Assembly Says No More Money Should Be Spent On London's Olympic Stadium
- Yoga For Runners: 8 Perfect Poses
- 2:25:10 Marathoner Kiyoko Shimahara Gives Birth To Son
- Michael Johnson Going To Angola For A Clinic On Monday
International Track News: Another Russian Doper
- Well, At Least They're Catching Them: Olympics 5th Place Russian Hammer Thrower Kirill Ikonnikov Suspended For Failed Drug Test
- Olympic Stadium Could Be Use To Host London Diamond League Meet This July The Olympic Stadium decision has been so delayed, the £150million construction work won't start until the fall.
- Schedule For 2013 DL Schedule Released
- Infamous Team Kenya 2012 London Olympics Report Set To Be Released Next Week
- Jamaican Writer Argues Why Glen Mills Should Have Won NACAC Coach Of The Year Award Instead Of Trinidad And Tobago Javelin Coach Ismael Lopez Gives some props to Alberto Salazar and Ashton Eaton along the way.
- Usain Bolt Donates A School Bus To His High School
- Sally Pearson & Mitchell Watt Named Australia's Athletes Of The Year
"Dewey Beats Truman" Providence Beats Oregon
LRC An Examination Of The Timing/Scoring Screw-Ups At The 2012 NCAA
At the NCAA D1 champs, the wrong national champion was official declared. What the heck happened,
could it have been prevented
and what needs to be done in the future? At the D3 champs, scores counting all seven runners were displayed. At the D1 South Regional, a wrong qualifying team was announced as well. Did you know the same timing company was involved in all 3 instances? An email from a coach who saw the chaos unfold first hand in Louisville is what motivated us to look into this:
*LRC An Insider Coach's Account Of The "Colossal" Scoring Screw-Up At The 2012 NCAA Cross-Country Championships
- Not Just Lolo: Two-Time 400m Hurdles Champ Jana Pittman Trying To Make Australian 2014 Bobsled Team
- Video Interview With Aussie Junior World Championships Hurdler Who's Dance Warmup Routine Went Viral The original video generated over 19 million views on YouTube.
Ridiculous: Belgium's 2011 SPAR Euro XC Champ Atelaw Bekele To Defend His Title Despite A Doping Violation Due To Missing Three Out-Of-Competition Tests His trial is December 17, about a week after European Champs.
NZ Twins Jake And Zane Robertson *2nd Video
Euro XC Champs Next Weekend
- Ukraine's 37-Year-Old Cross-Country Specialist Sergiy Lebid Shooting For A Very Impressive 10th SPAR Euro XC Title On December 9th
- Spain's Ayad Lamdassem Looking To Finally Win Euro XC Champs After Finishing Runner-Up The Last Two Years
- Good Read: RunBlogRun Asks What Lies Ahead For Jordan Hasay? "There is an unspoken uneasiness around the fact that Hasay's phenomenal record as a young high schooler is not being fully replicated at the collegiate level ... Hasay's impressive record while at Oregon is nonetheless viewed by some as falling somewhat short of what might have been expected from an athlete who totally dominated her events as a prep."
- University Of Texas Officials Were Planning A Pay Raise For Women's Track Coach Beverly Kearney Before She Was Abruptly Suspended Her current contract includes a base salary of about $270,000 plus incentives ... school officials were considering making it $475,000 in minimum salary plus bonuses by 2017.
- Rutgers University Added To List Of Schools To Cut Ties With Adidas Because Of Their Overseas Labor Practices The University of Washington, Cornell University and Oberlin College have also cut ties.
- Iowa State's Betsy Saina Receives Honda Sports Award For Cross-Country
Our Weekly Analysis Returns At Last
LRC The 2012 NCAA Cross-Country Championships That Were We bring back our weekly recap by looking back two weeks to the 2012 NCAA Cross-Country Championships. We start by praising the UConn women, Jordan Hasay, Abbey D'Agostino and ourselves before telling who flopped (Iona/Stanford), comparing Vin Lananna and Martin Smith, and telling you who the favorite is for 2013. Along the way, we crush the dreams of all college runners by telling them they likely won't improve (much) after their sophomore year before ending with talk about unbreakable women's world records.
IAAF Gala Photos: The Stars Of Track And Field Are Beautiful People
Foot Locker NE Photos
2012 Canadian XC Highlights - Men
2012 Canadian XC Highlights - Women
Thanksgiving Day Action
Manchester: Aaron Braun Equals Course Record & Wins 2012 Manchester Road Race
Delilah DiCrescenzo Comes From Behind & Guns Down Lisa Uhl To Win 2012 Manchester Road Race Down with 400 to go, Delilah got the win as Amby Burfoot finished for the 50th straight year.
Silicon Valley: Sambu (13:28) & Kim Conley (15:40) Break Silicon Valley CRs *MB: Discuss
*Manchester Road Race results ... Top 25 Aaron Braun and Hey Delilah were the winners. *Thread Discussing Race Here
*Alan Webb 23:10 8k On Thanksgiving Morning
NCAA Cross Photo Galleries (Captions Now Added)
Beautiful People: NCAA Banquet Photos (Click On Photo)
Naked D3 Nationals Photo Gallery
D3 Beautiful People: NCAA Banquet Photos (Click On Photo)
NCAAs *Men's Results *Women's Results *LRC Photo Gallery updated 258 photos
LRC Oklahoma State Makes It Three Titles In Four Years Team Recap Wisconsin had 3 runners in before
OSU, but Oklahoma State was much better at 4 and 5. OSU was led by Girma Mecheso, who was the top American in fifth (learn about his incredible life story here).
LRC Texas Tech's Kennedy Kithuka Makes It Look Easy Over Lawi Lalang & Stephen Sambu Lawi Lalang had all the attention coming in, but Kennedy Kithuka dispatched him with ease. Only one American in the top 10. Read all about it.
RRW: After Delay, Oregon & Oklahoma State Declared 2012 NCAA Cross-Country Champions
Outside Coverage Of NCAAs:
- At Least He Got To Fly Private: Miles Unterreiner Pulls Hamstring At NCAAs, Does Not Win Rhodes Scholarship
- Mark Wetmore: "I said before the meet that I thought that Oklahoma State was a head taller than everybody else and they proved that today."
- Kennedy Kithuka: "Once the race started, I knew I was ready to go. It was just a great race."
- Guaranteed To Win Next Year? AP Incorrectly Reports: Oklahoma State Wins 4th Title In 5 Years
LSU Women Lose Their Outdoor National Title
Oregon Women Win NCAA Title ... In Outdoor Track LSU has been forced to "vacate" their national title after sprinter Semoy Hackett tested positive for a banned stimulant.
*TrackFocus Article The Oregon women have placed second at the NCAA meet four years in a row ... so we guess this breaks the streak.
Has This Been Alberto Certified?
Mo Farah To Face Other British Gold Medallists In Superstars Competition Sounds like fun as they'll do races over 100m and 800m, archery, javelin, a 50m swim, a kayak race, a cycling hill climb and the challenges in the gym tests.
*MB Archive: Superstars Competition half-mile run record is 1:57.36?
*MB Archive: 1981 Superstars Half Mile
New Scientific Study Says Ice Baths Don't Actually Help Athletes With Recovery After Exercises Yeah, and there are also studies which say you're less likely to be injured if you run on the hard pavement instead of soft trails.
More On Athlete Contracts: LRC Jesse Williams Of Brooks Sports: Brooks Shoe Contracts Don't Have Reduction Clauses
Field Event News
- Former HJ World Champ (2003) Jacques Freitag Arrested After Running Red Light - Had Drug "Cat" On Him He is one of only 8 people to ever win world championships at youth, junior and senior levels.