1. Tirunesh Dibaba (Ethiopia) - 47:08
2. Tiki Gelana (Ethiopia) - 48:09
3. Beatrice Mutai (Kenya) - 48:52
4. Lucy Macharia (Kenya) - 49:00
5. Gelete Burka (Ethiopia) - 49:26
6. Aki Odagiri (Japan) - 50:57
7. Merel de Knegt (Netherlands) - 51:43
8. Eriko Kushima (Japan) - 51:49
9. Hikari Yasuhara (Japan) - 52:14
10. Miranda Boonstra (Netherlands) - 52:23
11. Mei Matsuyama (Japan) - 52:59
Now admittedly it was only 15km but one of the things that we learned in New York before the marathon was that Gelana was supposedly in very good shape (We never put up those interviews on the last day once the race was cancelled - maybe we should). Her coach, Getaneh Tessema, said he thought she was in better shape than when she won Olympic gold this summer.
He wasn't sure if she as in better shape than when she ran 2:18:58 this spring but still.
Video highlights of 15km in Dutch here:
NY Times article on Gelana from Friday (Nov 16) where she talks about eventually going after the WR in the marathon - the same thing her coach talked to us about: