NFL Track Action
The Historically Super Fast Rieti Is Today *Streams (On live at 10:45 am ET)
*Race Schedule/Live Results US ET is six hours before the times listed. Ndiku, Soi, Longosiwa, Ben True and Bumbalough in 3000, Nick Willis, Silas Kiplagat, Cronje and Miles Batty in 1500. This meet used to be so fast people wondered if the track was short.
MB: Talk about 2013 Rieti Here
Minnesota: Craig Miller Defends His Minnesota Mile Title Against Ben Blankenship, Nate Brannen And Matt Elliot Heather Kampf defends her title against Gabriele Anderson and Jamie Cheever.
$20,100 Prize Purse Will Be On Line At Minnesota Mile On Sunday
World Mountain Running Champs - *Results: Finland Dominates (PDF)
*Race Report Via Storify
*Start Lists (Excel)*Race Preview (Translated)
Potential Mary Cain XC Rival Out For Season: 2012 Foot Locker Girls Champ Anna Rohrer Has Broken Bone In Foot And Is Out For The Year Rohrer, who had opened her season with an incredible 16:52, will be missed.
MB: 2012 Footlocker Champ Anna Roher: Out For The Season
- Bolt's #1 Goal For 2014? To Stay Injury-Free "I know I have to be more focused on staying in shape. ... The older you get the harder it is to come back from injury."
- Renaud Lavillenie's 5.96m Win Was One Of 7 European Victories In Brussels DL Finale
2013 Belgacom Memorial Van Damme *Full Results *Event-By-Event Results *IAAF Full Recap *Athletics Weekly Full Recap *Race Videos
*Watch Brussels Race Videos Without Knowing Results
LRC Men's 5,000: Yenew Alamirew Outkicks Bernard Lagat To Win Men's 5,000 And Diamond League Title As 4 US Men Break 13:10 The American record holders at 1,500/5,000, steeplechase and 10,000 came to play on Friday and were with the leaders at the bell and Galen Rupp had the lead. How did it turn out? Well, Adam Goucher is no longer in the US top 10 and Abdi Abdirahman is no longer in the US top 20. *Video Highlights
MB: Four Americans, one 38 years old, just ran sub 13:09. And you still think thyroid and TUEs are not being abused?
MB: The Future Has Arrived, Jager Almost Beats Ruppp!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MB: Jager 13:02!
MB: Cheers to Bernard Lagat
MB: What has Rupp done recently to make you believe he can break 13?
LRC Ajee Wilson Coems Up Short In World Junior 1k Record Assault In Brussels Wilson was beaten soundly by American Morgan Uceny.
LRC Women's Steeplechase: Milcah Chemos Wins And Confirms She's The World's Best In 2013 Chemos had the lead, then gave it up at the last water jump, but rallied to emphatically state she's the World #1 and win the $50,000 as the DL champion as well.
Brussels On The Message Board:
MB: Official 2013 Brussels DL Discussion Thread
MB: Why doesn't Mo Farah race in fast non championship races
Other Weekend Action
- Silas Kiplagat Vs. Nixon Chepseba Over 1,500 Highlights Rieti Meeting Today And Tomorrow Other top names competing include Amantle Montsho, Anna Chicherova and Sally Pearson.
- Japan's Yuko Matsumiya (2:09:18) And Chihiro Tanaka (2:29:30) Top Fields For Germany's Volksbank Muenster Marathon On Sunday
- IAAF Preview Of Sunday's World Mountain Running Championships In Poland
- Kenya's World 5,000 Silver Medalist Mercy Cherono Plans On Taking Up Golf And Thinks It Could Help With Her Running Cherono: "It may sound strange but I find myself watching golf on television more than any other sport apart from athletics. I have been following many events such as the USA Open and British Open keenly and I think I like the game."
- Ex-Texas Head Coach Bev Kearney Could Sue The University Soon Over Discrimination Based On Gender And Race According To Her Lawyer
- Google's London Office To Have Rooftop Track And Pool
- Prefontaine Classic Ranked As Top Track And Field Invitational Of 2013 According To All-Athletics.com
- Daily Mail Article On The Importance Of Genes And How The "10,000 Hour Rule" Is False
- Four-Time GB Olympian Jo Pavey Has Given Birth To Her Second Child She is 39 years old, but plans on continuing to compete and shoot for GB's team for the 2014 Commonwealth Games.
- No Duh: Study Finds Exercise Can Lead To Long And Healthy Life The study found that physical and mental capabilities were more intact in active seniors.
LRC Women's 1,500 Preview: Can Jenny Simpson Get The Best Of Abebe Aregawi? Will Simpson Break 4:00? Simpson has been getting closer to the unbeaten Aregawi
all season. Will America's #1 finally get the best of the world's #1 in this Moscow rematch which has five of the top six from Moscow? The race also includes Shannon
Rowbury, Gabriele Anderson and Mercy Cherono.
LRC Women's Steeple Preview: The Top Three From Moscow - Chemos, Chekpkurui And Assefa - Battle It Out For The 2013 Diamond League Title With her first world title, Chemos had won six straight but she lost on Tuesday and will she now lose again and lose the $40,000 DL title?
A Lot More On The CGI Decision: 3 Recommended Reads
- Recommended Read #1: Toni Reavis Q&A With NYRR President Mary Wittenberg On Competitor Group's Decision To Drop Elite Athlete Funding "What we currently have is six World Marathon Majors, then a very strong number of marathons and half-marathons ... Then under that we have great local events. We need to come from both sides feeding into a larger construct. But we have to be careful. If we put out a vote asking runners which they would rather support, pro athletes or getting another tee shirt, see you later pro athletes."
- RR#2: The Silence Of The Lambs: Toni Reavis Asks Why We're Not Hearing Anything From Top Athletes Or Agents In The Wake Of CGI's Decision "Yet in the wake of that announcement, even as the chat rooms and social media have lit up with either support for or condemnation of CGI ... not one word has emerged from any of the world's greatest runners, or their representatives. Nothing. And yet the CGI decision affects them more than anyone. Perhaps there is a fear of speaking out, but even in that light do we wonder why CGI makes this kind of call?! ... The fact that not one truly elite athlete has made a comment on an issue that is the talk of the sport is the kind of silence that just reinforces CGI's decision to drop their support in the first place. Without a voice, legs alone won't do."
- RR#3: Josh Cox: "The Competitor Group's decision will undoubtedly result in less sports page headlines on race weekends but they're wagering they will come out ahead." "... It's glaringly obvious that we as pros haven't shown our value to some of the top decision makers in our sport."
- Good Read: Toni Reavis: "We have been waiting for others to do what the stakeholders of the sport have long avoided. The sport has been treading water for yearss, every event dancing to their own music."
- GR#2: Runner's World: Do Big Races Need Pro Runners?
US Pro / NCAA News
- Julie Culley Talks About Taking Her Second Shot At A Marathon Debut At NYC This Year After She Missed The Chance Last Year When NYC Was Cancelled She says she's recently switched coaches from Coach Gags and the NY-NJ Track Club to her former coach, Matt Centrowitz, Sr.
- The Wood Report Ranks And Analyzes The Top 31 NCAA Men's And Women's XC Teams With Oklahoma State Men And Duke Women Topping The Charts
- Ryan Vail: 5 Things You Should Know About Me Vail is a 2:11 marathoner and works 10 to 20 hours a week in a shoe store.
- Ashton Eaton / Trey Hardee Decathon Documentary Airs On Universal Sports Today (Friday) Airs at 12:30 PM ET before the Brussels DL meets with encore viewings later this month and next month.
- AthleteGo Q&A With Leo Manzano
- Good DailyRelay Interview With Ajee Wilson Talking about getting elbowed by Russia's Ekaterina Poistogova in the final meters at Worlds, Wilson said, "Afterwards, protesting honestly didn't even cross my mind. ... It was a rookie mistake that taught me that I have to be my own advocate, and reminded me how important it is to speak up for myself."
*MB: Officials cost Wilson at least one spot in the 800
- Shalane Flanagan And Alan Webb Working As Volunteer Assistant Coaches At Portland State This XC Season Both have said they want to coach in some fashion after their pro careers are over.
- Ryan Vail Says He's One Of Many In A Tough Situation After Competitor Group's Decision To Cut Elite Athlete Funding He and his coach had planned his training around doing one of the half marathon races in October so now they will have to adjust.
- Lolo Jones Has Put On 20 Pounds Since Ending Her Track Season Doing Bobsled Training
- Sad News: Collegiate Runner Jenna Parlette From Wilmington College Dies After Collapsing While Leading Race At Franklin College In Indiana She had been running with epilepsy and a heart condition for years and collapsed in a race in high school, but loved running and wanted to keep racing.
- Matt Tegenkamp Named USATF Athlete Of The Week After Winning US 20k Champs
Sprinting / Doping News
- Veronica Campbell-Brown Doping Hearing Enters Third Day The trial is closed to the media, but sources said that witnesses included a polygraph expert. Campbell-Brown is represented by California-based celebrity attorney Howard Jacobs, who served other high-profile clients such as Marion Jones, Tim Montgomery and Floyd Landis.
- Samuel L. Jackson Wants Usain Bolt To Star In New Film Called "The Secret Service"
- September 14th: Sally Pearson And David Oliver Highlight Competitive Hurdles Fields For The Great North CityGames Oliver faces Ryan Wilson and Aries Merritt while Pearson faces Dawn Harper, Kellie Wells and Tiffany Porter.
- Ben Johnson On Why Athletes Dope: "The money is great. The pressure is great. ... do everything to win. This is the world that we live in."
- The Rio de Janeiro Doping Control Lab Had Its Accreditation Revoked Last Month After It Failed A "Blind" Quality Assessment Test
- Judge Orders Lance Armstrong To Answer Questions About Doping
Wednesday Zagreb & Rovereto *Zagreb Full Results *Rovereto Results
Rovereto: Nick Symmonds Over Andrew Wheating, Bohdan Bondarenko Ends Season With Another Win (Results) That's four straight European wins for Symmonds. This one was in 1:44.75 as Wheating was in 1:46.63. Symmonds has a big test Friday versus Mo Aman on Brussels. *Discuss
*IAAF Full Meet Recap
*Article On Bondarenko
Zagreb Mike Rodgers Wins 100 (9.97) As Justin Gatlin Is 3rd; David Oliver Ties Ryan Wilson With Dayron Robles 3rd In 110H, Dawn Harper Beats Sally Pearson In distance action, Caleb Mwangani won a fast 3,000 in 7:35 with Will Leer 7th (7:39), Andrew Bumbalough 8th (7:40), Nick Willis 10th (7:40), David Torrence 11th (7:40) and Andrew Bayer 13th (7:43). Russia's Ekaterina Poistogova won the 800 in 1:59.30 with Caster Semenya back in 5th (2:00.74) and Shannon Rowbury 8th (2:02.64), Hiwot Ayalew beat Milcah Chemos in the steeple.
*Nick Willis' 7:40 Was A 4-Second PR Willis said, "My body and mind were in shock once I passed the 1,200m mark. ... I hadn't done anything to prepare specifically for a race over a mile, so it felt like I was just hanging on for dear life."
*IAAF Full Meet Recap: Sandra Perkovic Had A Surprise Loss In The Discus In Front Of Her Hometown Crowd And Left Stadium In Tears After Her 15-Meet Winning Streak Came To An End
*Perkovic's Winning Streak Was Ended By US's Gia Lewis-Smallwood Who Moved To 4th All-Time In The US
- Kenenisa Bekele Hopes That His New Training Camp In Sululta, Ethiopia Will Be The Next Iten He wants runners from all over the World, including "hobby joggers," to come train at his facilities.
- Lauren Fleshman And Kate Grace To Be Runway Models For Oiselle Gear During Fashion Week In NYC
- Galaxy Of Star Athletes Line Up To Receive World 800m Champion Eunice Sum In Eldoret
- Mo Farah: "It'll be nice to continue that and be good at the marathon - but I don't know, we'll find out."
- Cal Poly's Laura Hollander And Georgia's Brandon Lord Are USTFCCCA XC Athletes Of The Week
- David Rudisha Visiting Ireland To Attend And Event Honoring Coach Brother Colm O'Connell
Tuesday Was Malcolm Gladwell's 50th B-Day: MB: Malcolm Gladwell has read Epstein's book - wonders why dopers are condemned for trying to overcome genetic disadvantages - Do Genetic Advantages Make Sports Unfair?
*Podcast Where Gladwell Tries To Convince Nicholas Thompson Legalizing PEDs Is The Way To Go
Road News *2013 New Haven 20k Results
US 20k Champs: Matt Tegenkamp (1:00:09), Meghan Peyton (1:09:54) Win US Titles At Stratton Faxon New Haven Road Race
(updated with RRW story)
*Tegenkamp Post-Race Interview
*Men's Race Highlights *Women's Race Highlights *Post-Race Videos Interviews
Pre-Race: LRC Teg Ready To Defend In New Haven, Eyeing 2:11 In Chicago, Abdi Ready To Challenge
Netherlands: Tirunesh Dibaba Runs 30:30 On The Roads In Netherlands, 4th-Fastest Ever She was after Paula Radcliffe's 30:21 WR but went out too slow in 15:21. *Twitter Blow-By-Blow Of Dibaba's Run *Discussion Thread
Kenenisa Bekele Wants To Run Marathon In Rio
Competitor Group Gives Up On Competition
- Competitor CEO Defends Decision To Drop All Elite Athlete Support - "We're a health and lifestyle company." For years, LRC wondered if it was going to be a problem that a hedge fund owned most of the biggest races in the US and now our nightmare is a reality.
- Tony Reavis Has Excellent Insight On CGI's Decision To Cancel Elite Athlete Program In case you were gone over the weekend, Competitor Group (the private equity owned group that owns the Rock N Roll Marathons, the Muddy Buddy Runs, and puts on the NFL Run Series) decided to effective immediately cancel its elite athlete program and not honoring appearance fees for upcoming races. A
business decision that could impact the future of the sport of running. Reavis, with long ties to the Rock N Roll series, talks about why this was done with such haste (remember kids, if you want to know why something is done, follow the dollars). Sad day for the sport of running if this doesn't hurt CGI's bottom line.
Competitor Group Says Goodbye To The Sport Of Running Competitor Group (Rock N Roll Races, Muddy Buddy, NFLRunSeries) Eliminates Any And All Support Of Elite Athlete Fields, Including Appearance Fees, Travel And Lodging updated They are owned by a private equity group and they say it's better for businesses not to spend money having pro fields and keeping the money for themselves. We understand the logic and no race has to have a pro field. What's ridiculous is that elite athletes for the Philly Half Marathon on September 15th will not have their appearance fees honored. The only way to fight back is by not running ANY of their events and using your influence to encourage your friends not to run any of their events: all the Rock N Roll Races, all the NFLRunSeries Events, Muddy Buddy events and more. If enough people care about the sport and inspiring a future generation of runners and Competitor thinks it will help their bottom line then they will re-institute the program. We're all for private enterprise, however the Competitor Group is a private equity group that profits to a large extent because of public resources. It relies not only on volunteers and the government shutting down roads, but on millions of dollars (more here, here, here) of government tax dollars going directly to Competitor Group. We believe with such dollars comes some obligation to inspire a future generation of runners by supporting the (top end of the) sport of running just a little. Vote with your feet. *Original RunBlogRun Story
Discuss: *Competitor drops support for elite athletes immediately
*I support Competitor group's decision to withdraw support for Elite Athletes
*Competitor ditching the elites is a blessing in disguise b/c I'm sick of watching our runners get paid to "race"
Billy Mills Gets His Wish
- Tokyo Will Host 2020 Olympics They beat out Istanbul in the final after Istanbul edged Madrid in a tie breaker in the semifinals.
- Alan Abrahamson: Here's How Tokyo Won Abrahamson gives you the details of Tokyo's successful bid. Why did they win? Well, they are the "safe bet" and it didn't hurt they have $4.5 billion sitting in the bank waiting to be spent on the Olympics and a Japanese athlete has never tested positive for a PED at the Olympics.
- NY Times: For 2020 Olympics, I.O.C. Picks Tokyo, Considered Safe Choice
- Pre-Decision News: Hersh: IOC hotel lobby walls have ears but rarely hear the truth
- Message Board: It's Never Too Soon To Start Speculating: MB: Tokyo 2020: Who are the US Medal Prospects?
$200,013 Worlds Prediction Contest Powered By Karhu
O Canada! LRC 44th @ World XC, 1st In The LRC Prediction Contest, Canadians Continues Dominating LRC Contests Canada may only be 4.6% of the LRC audience, but Canadians keep dominating our contests. Our Moscow Worlds Contest Powered by Karhu was no different, as Matthew Walters (44th at World XC) came out on top. The University of Victoria kept up its fine tradition of excellence as well. Read all about it and check your scores.
- Makau Says His Training Has Been Going Well As He Gets Ready For WR Attempt "I have not been in the best of forms in recent marathon races but my training has been going well for the last three months."
- Boston Marathon Registration Begins Monday - Will Include Extra 9,000 Spots To Accommodate Those Who Couldn't Finish This Year
2013 Belgacom Memorial Van Damme *Full Results *Event-By-Event Results *IAAF Full Recap *Athletics Weekly Full Recap
LRC Men's 800: Mo Aman Saves The Best For Last, Nick Symmonds 1:43.03 Mo Aman was spectacular and leaves Brussels $50,000 richer and with a new world lead
and a spot in the all-time top
10. Nick Symmonds was pretty darn good as
well - as he ran 1:43.03 to grab second and take home the 2013 USA top mark. *Race Video
MB: Symmonds 1:43.03!!!
LRC Women's 1,500: What a Disappointment: Aregawi Wins, Jenny Simpson And Five Others Fall Talk about a disapointment. The field was loaded and claimed it wanted to run fast. Then the gun went off and no-one went with the rabbits. It only got worse from there as Jenny Simpson ended up doing her best Morgan Uceny impersonation. *Race Video
MB: DOWN GOES SIMPSON! DOWN GOES SIMPSON!
IAAF Full Brussels Recap: Fraser-Pryce's 10.72 (-.3 m/s) leads Jamaican sprint triple in Brussels (Bolt 9.80 & Weir 19.87).
*Athletics Weekly Full Meet Recap - Aman Smashes 800 World Lead
*Bolt Wins Again - Says This Wasn't His Best Season He was pretty darn dominant.
*USATF List US Performances: Dawn Harper And Ryan Whiting Win Natasha Hastings had a big upset win in the 400 over Amantle Montsho and Christine Ohuruogu.
*French TJer Teddy Tamgho Only Goes 17.30 In Brussels But Still Wants To Eventually Get Johnathan Edwards' WR
*Bolt: "I've been smiling ever since I got to the stadium because it's my last one and I'm just happy to be done. I'm looking forward to chilling with friends ..."
*Bolt Says Years Of Sprinting Starting To Take Toll "The older you get the harder it is to come back from injury. I gotta stay injury-free during the season that's the main factor."
*Bolt On Commonwealth Games: "I would love to go, I would love to get a Commonwealth gold medal to say I have got a Commonwealth gold medal." He's not committing though; it will be Coach Glen Mills' call.
IOC Voting News
- Interesting Read: Alan Abrahamson Shares Observations And Gossip From IOC Hotel Lobby Ahead Of Vote He says that Tokyo and Madrid seem the "likeliest choices" and that wrestling seems a "slam-dunk certainty" to be reinstated. However, he cautions that "The only thing predictable about an IOC election is that it is entirely unpredictable."
- 95 International Olympic Committee (IOC) Members.Will Vote Today On 2020 Olympic Host City
- Bookies Still Have Tokyo '20 Bid Ahead
- All 3 Cities Brace For Olympic Bid Announcement
- The Telegraph: Squash, Wrestling And Baseball-Softball Battle To Be Chosen By IOC As An Olympic Event For 2020 Games
- Wrestling Receives Reprimand From IOC Ahead Of 2020 Sports Vote After Turning Themselves In After They Broke Campaigning Rules Ahead Of IOC Vote
- InsideTheGames: Baseball-Softball 2020 Olympic Bid Under Shadow Of Fidel Castro
- US's Improved Relations With IOC Could Help Potential 2024 Bid
Pre-Race Brussels News
LRC Men's 800 Preview: Nick Vs. Mo Aman For All The Marbles In Brussels The DL finale is a great one with 7 of the 8 Moscow finalists squaring
off, including World Champion Mo Aman, winner of 8 straight, taking on silver medallist Nick Symmonds, winner of 6 of 7. Duane Solomon, still the world leader, is also in the field fresh off of his 46.08 400m in Zagreb (video).
LRC Men's 5,000 Preview: A Dream Way To End The Season: Africa's Best Vs. America's Best Many fans may be sad that the 2013 DL season is coming to an end, but the last major distance race of the year is a REAL treat. The American record holders at 1,500/3,000/5,000 (Bernard Lagat), steeplechase (Evan Jager), and 10,000 (Galen Rupp) will clash for American supremacy as the six sub-13:00 men on the year from Africa will battle for world supremacy with the $40,000 DL title on the line. Everyone is there but Mo Farah and his absence shows why he's got a long way to go catch the likes of Haile Gebrselassie or Kenenisa Bekele for GOAT status. More previews coming later.
MB: Rupp Running Brussels!!!!
MB: Brussels Men's 5000M this Friday
MB: Stat geeks – help us out – when is the last time thw US 1500/5000, steeple, and 10,000 record holders raced in the same 5000?
- More: Brussels Press Conference Highlights: Quotes From Frenchmen Teddy Tamgho and Renaud Lavillenie Tamgho talks about the possibility of eventually getting Johnathan Edwards TJ WR and Lavillenie says that the short runway at the Moscow stadium cost him the World PV title. Lavillenie is actually making his debut in the decathlon next week.
- Capital FM: Milcah Chemos And Lydia Chepkurui In Diamond Showdown
- SA's World 1500 Bronze Medalist Johan Cronje Racing The 800 "B" Race He says he wishes there was a 3k as his training is more 1500/3000 oriented and he could break the SA NR of 7:41.
- Video: Bolt Talks To Media In Brussels; Says Ben Johnson Could Never Have Beat Him And Just Was Trying To Get Attention
- IAAF Full Meet Preview: Moscow Rematches The Theme For Brussels Good matchups include Abeba Aregawi vs. Jenny Simpson and Hellen Obiri in the 1,500, all 8 women's 400 finalists, including Christine Ohuruogu and Amantle Montsho, Teddy Tamgho vs. Pedro Pichardo and Christian Taylor in the TJ, world champion David Storl vs. Ryan Whiting in the SP.
Non-Brussels Weekend Action
- Saturday's Prague 10k Led By Strong Men's Field With 5 Sub-28 Runners Including Daniel Chebii And Mosinet Geremew (Both 27:36 PRs) In the women's race World XC champ Emily Chebet faces Afera Godfay (31:08), Esther Chemtai (31:27), GB's Gemma Steel and Columbia alum Lisa Stublic.
- Germany’s Björn Otto Wins German PV Event In 5.80m As Jirina Svobodova Clears A Czech NR Of 4.76m To Win In Plzen
- SA Half-Marathon Champs Are This Weekend
- David Rudisha And Vivian Cheruiyot Defend AK Head Isaiah Kiplagat As He Faces Opposition From Other AK Officials
- World 50k Race Walk Champion Says "I don't like walking anywhere."
- DailyRelay Discussion On Why There Were No WRs In 2013 And What Implications That Has
- Christophe Lemaitre Says He Wants Triple Gold (100,200,4x1) At Next Year's European Championships In Zurich
Previous Pre-Brussels News
- Usain Bolt Says He'll Retire After Rio 2016 And That He Won't Take An Off Year Next Year "I think it will be a good time to retire, on top and just been dominating for so long."
- Bolt Laughs At Ben Johnson's Suggestion That He Could Beat Bolt If They Had Been Competing At The Same Time Bolt said, "Everybody says everything to get into the media and stir up a little bit, but he could never beat me. That's just him trying to get some attention. I don't see Ben Johnson beating me at any time."
- Bolt Says He Still Thinks He Can Break The 200m WR And Is Looking Forward To Next Year With No Major Championship And He Can Focus On Running Fast "The 100m World record is the hardest to break because it is more technical. In the 200m, if I can master the bend and stay injury free, there is room for improvement."
- IAAF: 16 More Overall Diamond League Winners To Be Decided In Brussels 9 events are already locked up, but the last 7 are up in the air. The men's 5,000 will come down to Hagos Gebrhiwet and Yenew Alamirew, the women's high jump between world champ Svetlana Shkolina and Anna Chicherova, and the women's steeplechase could be won by any 4 women.
- Infighting Among Athletics Kenya Officials Continues To Heat Up As Isaiah Kiplagat And His Opponents Talk To The Media South AK chairman: "Why is [Kiplagat] resisting the [meeting] if he is claiming to uphold the constitution? It's because he knows that something he has done is not right and this is what we want to address."
- Kiplagat: "I am ready to leave office through a fair process, but I will not allow the law of the jungle to prevail and bring ridicule to athletics in this country."
- Standard Media Article
The Berlin Marathon Is September 29th
- WR Holder Patrick Makau And 2nd-Fastest Man Ever Wilson Kipsang To Team Up To Go After WR At The Berlin Marathon On September 29th They are serious about the record attempt, with Kipsang even in brining along his own training partner as a pacer. Kipsang said, "If the weather and other factors remain constant, running under the 2:03 mark is very much possible." The women's field will include Irina Mikitenko (2:19:19), Desiree Davila (her first full marathon since dropping out of the Olympics) and Kenya's Florence Kiplagat (2009 Berlin champ).
- 2003 World 5,000 Champ Eliud Kipchoge (2:05:30 Marathon Debut) And World Jr. XC Champ Geoffrey Kipsang (58:54 Half) Also In Berlin Marathon Field
*Organizers' Press Release
- A Lot Goes Down At IOC Meeting On September 7th As They Will Choose A New President, The 2020 Olympic Host And 1 Sport To Be Added To The 2020 Games The favorites are Tokyo, Thomas Bach and wrestling.
*IOC Is Asked To Consider Human Rights In Selecting Olympic Host
- World 400m Champion Christine Ohuruogu Racing Over 150 Meters At Great North CityGames On September 14th She'll race US's Natasha Hastings and Jamaica's 2004 Olympic sprint relay gold medallist Aleen Bailey.
Random But Interesting
- 25 Nike Ads That Shaped The Brand's History
- Good News For Road Racers: Road Races Might Have More Porta Potties In The Future As The Industry Looks At How It Calculates Demand The new portable toilet standards for road races are expected to be in place by next summer.
- Even Short Bouts Of Exercise Only Lasting 5 Minutes Can Add Up To Help Prevent Weight Gain
- Study Finds That Prolonged Sitting Increases Health Risks Even With People Who Are Active
- A Legend Calls It A Career: Zurich Was Dwight Phillips' Last Competition - Goodbye, Dwight, And Thank You He retires with 4 world titles and one Olympic title to his name.
- Catching Up With 1993 Foot Locker Champ Who Won As A Freshman 20 Years Ago
- Competitor CEO Defends Decision To Drop All Elite Athlete Support - "We're a health and lifestyle company." For years, LRC wondered if it was going to be a problem that a hedge fund owned most of the biggest races in the US and now our nightmare is a reality.
- Dwain Chambers Lost It When GBR Bronze Medal 4 X 100 Was DQed, Police Were Called To Moscow Stadium
News From Japan
- Nearly 50 Years After Epic 10,000 Win, Billy Mills Backs Tokyo For 2020
- A Look Back At When Tokyo Was Awarded 1964 Olympics Rome spent $30 million on the 1960 Games. The Japanese took it to another level and spent $1.9 billion.
- He's Nuts: Kawauchi Wins Ekiden Stage Two Weeks After World Championships
- Kenya Won 4 Golds At African Juniors
- Men's And Women's Records Fell At The North Face Ultra Trail du Mont Blanc (UTMB) On Sunday In Chamonix, France
- Reigning Commonwealth Games Heptathlon Champ Louise Hazel Quits Event - Won't Defend Title
Sunday's Track Action *Berlin Results *Padua Results
Berlin: 53,000 Spectators In Berlin As Women's Javelin, Men's Discus Highlight Berlin
*Valerie Adams Ends Season In Berlin With 42nd-Straight Win
*Berlin ISTAF Results World Champion Mo Aman won the 800 over Duane Solomon. Dayron Robles with a win.
Padua, Italy Recap: Dylan Armstrong Throws Far, LaShawn And Aries Merritt Both Win Andrew Wheating was 4th in the 800m in 1:47.33, Erik Sowinski was 3rd in 1:47.31. Emily Infeld 2nd in 1,500.
On The Boards: Wheating Making Progress It's up for debate.
Kenyan Athletics May Finally See Some Change
- Tension In Athletics Kenya As 50 Former Athletes Wants AK Head Isaiah Kiplagat To Quit
- Scathing Editorial In Kenyan Newspaper On Isaiah Kiplagat "The corridors of power at Athletics Kenya have been trampled by him ever since the year of our lord 1975 and the everlasting man has both created and weathered storms in these realms in different capacities."
Centro Silver, Brenda Bronze!: Worlds Final Day Full Photo Gallery (All Of Our Photo Galleries Are Here)
Recommended Read Toni Reavis Tries To Brainstorm Ideas For Running To Become A Truly Professional Sport He's got some good ideas like turning running into the PGA Tour at the elite level and the AARP at the grass-roots level. What's holding us back? Well, as Anne Audain of New Zealand once said, "Toni, if this sport truly went professional, most of the people running it would lose their positions."
Take That, ESPN - Mary Cain Does A Guest Appearance On Fox Sports 1
- Asafa Powell, Sherone Simpson And 3 Other Jamaicans Have Their "B" Samples Test Positive
- Powell, Simpson hearing start on September 27
- Chinese Track Athletes Take Written Anti-Doping Exam It was an open book exam with the aim "to further raise their anti-doping awareness".
The Rich Get Richer
LRC Eric Jenkins Has Transferred To Oregon The message board rumors are true. After Northeastern changed distance coaches for the second time in less than a year, the 13:18 phenom
Jenkins has decided it's time for him to make a change as well. Are the Ducks, who didn't even make NCAAs in 2011 and were only 20th in 2012, now the NCAA favorites over Dave Smith's
Oklahoma State Cowboys?
MB: Jenkins to OREGON!
MB: The ducks, how good?
Chicago Elite Fields Released
Elite Field For Chicago Marathon Released: Moses Mosop Leads 3 Other Sub-2:05 Men As The Top 2 Women From Last Year Return Mosop faces Dennis Kimetto (2:04:16), Emmanuel Mutai (2:04:40) and Ayele Abshero (2:04:23), as well as Dathan Ritzenhein, Matt Tegenkamp in his debut, Rotterdam champ Tilahun Regassa, World Half Marathon champ Zersenay Tadese and 58:47 half runner Atsedu Tsegaye. On the women's side, Atsede Baysa and Rita Jeptoo return after Baysa beat Jeptoo by only a second last year. They also face Rotterdam champ Jemima Sumgong, Maria Konovalova (2:23:50) and Stephanie Pezzullo as the top American.
- IOC Stands Firm, India Still Banned From Olympics Until The Indian Olympic Association Amend Their Constitution So Tainted Officials Can't Run For Office
VCB Awaits Decision As Doping Hearing Ends With Decision To "Be Handed Down Very Soon"
- Ben Johnson Claims Doping Is Worse Now Than It Was In His Time He claims that sprinters take drugs in between the semi-final and final at the Olympics to be "more alert" and "get an extra boost", but that clears their system before they give a urine test.
IOC News: Hide And Seek A
n Olympic Sport?
- And You Thought Olympic Curling Was A Joke: Japanese Professor Pushing To Get "Hide And Seek" Included As An Olympic Sport He seems to be forgetting what the Olympics are when he says, "When you watch sport now, it's all about world-beating techniques and skills - fantastic dribbling, running or shooting skills in football, for example."
- NY Times: The 3 Cities Running For 2020 Olympics All Have Shortcomings
- IOC President Jacques Rogge Says That They Can't Force Russia To Change Their Anti-Gay Laws Ahead Of 2014 Games
- IOC Considering Taking Action Over Yelena Isinbayeva's Anti-Gay Comments After Worlds
- Interesting: JapanRunningNews Q&A With Japanese Olympic Marathoner Arata Fujiwara He's racing in next week's Bupa Great North Run Half along with Mo Farah, Haile Gebresalasie and Kenenisa Bekele and predicted Farah for the win. He also asked Brett Larner why US distance running has improved so much.
- Inaugural Plusnet Yorkshire Marathon On October 20th Will Have The Highest Amount Of Prize Money Anywhere In The UK Outside Of London They'll be giving a total of £12,000 ($18,700) in prize money in the race's first year.
- Opinion Piece: Why 2020 Olympic Bidders Should Be Hoping For Second Place "In seeking to host the Games, coming in second tends to work out better, say economists who have studied this phenomenon. The runner-up tends to invest in the same sort of infrastructure aimed at impressing the Olympic committee ... then gets spared the expense and hassle of actually hosting the Games."
- Video: Mo Farah On His Double Gold World Championships Win
- Mapaseka Makhanya Has SA Spar Women's Challenge 10k Road Series Basically Locked Up Going Into Last Race
- For Any Artists Out There: Contest To Design The Medal For The Nanjing 2014 Youth Olympic Games
Swoosh Takeover: UK Athletics Switches Its Kit Supplier From Adidas To Nike After Adidas Loses Courtroom Challenge Adidas tried to stay GB's sponsor going to court arguing its current contract included a "matching rights" clause that gave it the right to match any rival offer when the deal came up for renewal, but they lost.
Italian Doping Investigation On Asafa Powell And Sherone Simpson Delayed Due To Bureaucratic Problems Italian authorities have been unable to contact them to see if they want to be present when the substances confiscated from their hotel are tested.
- Stating The Obvious: Brendan Foster Says Mo Farah Is Not The Legend Haile Gebrselassie Was Geb took the sport to a new level. Mo Farah has been the best runner the last 3 years. Big difference.
- Mary Cain Blogs About Her Experience At Moscow World Champs, Which She Says "Was The Greatest Experience" Of Her Life She talks about how she laughed last year when Salazar told her she could make Worlds, the experience traveling and racing in Moscow and rooming with Jordan Hasay.
- Track And Field News XC Men's Preview
- Nike Aiming For A "Cleaner" Cross-Country Course For This Year's Nike High School Cross-Country Nationals Apparently last year it was so muddy, the top seeds were way back and the winning time was two minutes slower than a "normal" XC race.
- Extensive Gary Cohen Q&A With US's 1952 100m Olympic Champ Lindy Remigino Remigino talks about winning the 1952 Olympic 100, anchoring the 4 x 100m relay to gold, and much more.
- Interesting Theory: Professor's Take On Why Asafa Powell Can Run So Fast Today And Then So Slow Tomorrow He thinks it comes down to Powell's lack of endurance to get through multiple rounds or races close together. He says since he can't run the 200 because of his groin, he should run the 100 and 400 to work on endurance.
- Random Stat: Before 2003, The Fastest Marathon Ever Ran Was Only Known As A "World Best," Not A "World Record" The first "WR" was in at the Berlin Marathon in 2003 when Paul Tergat ran 2:04:55. Before that, the IAAF felt differences in courses made a WR impossible to judge. Khalid Khannouchi had the World Best before Tergat got the first official WR.
- Xiang Liu Returns To China After 11 Months In U.S. For Treatment
News From Jamaica
Veronica Campbell-Brown Doping Hearing Doesn't Start Well - Jamaica Athletics And Anti-Doping Agency Were Totally Unprepared Campbell-Brown's attorney is the former Prime Minister of Jamaica.
*VCB Hearing Held Behind Closed Doors - No Media Allowed
*Columnist Wants US Vs. Caribbean Track Meet