Saturday's High School Action
Foot Locker NE: A Man Amongst Boys: Edward Cheserek Wins Foot Locker XC Northeast Region, Breaking John Gregorek's Course Record Gregorek was a 2-time Olympian.
*Footlocker NE Runner-Up Abbey Leonardi Commits To Oregon
Foot Locker South: Texans Cali Roper, Craig Nowak Win Foot Locker South As Nowak Upsets Ahmed Bile Bile is the son of 1987 World 1,500m Champ Abdi Bile.
Midwest: Futsum Zeinasellassie, Molly Seidel Win Foot Locker Midwest
California State Meet: Saugus Wins Its Record Sixth Straight California State Title On The Boards: DQ at California Meet May ShakeUp NXN Bids
NXN NY: Fayetteville-Manlius Survives
High School On the Boards (More In HS Forum)
*Greek Track Suspended Over Cuts
*Spain's Steepler Marta Dominguez Says Unlikely She'll Be In Shape To Medal In London She's still on the comeback from childbirth.
Turkey Day Action *Manchester Results *Silicon Valley
Manchester: Brian Olinger, Sally Kipyego Win 75th Manchester Road Race ZAP's Landon Peacock and Team USA Minnesota's Andrew Carlson were 2nd and 3rd.
*Local News Coverage www.courant.com
*MB: Brian Olinger, Sally Kipyego Win
Silicon Valley: David McNeill, Jackie Areson, Win Silicon Valley Turkey Trot McNeill ran 13:33, Arizona redshirt Stephen Sambu was 2nd, Diego Estrada was 3rd only 3 days after NCAAs, Ritz was 5th (13:49). Race videos/photos posted here.
*Video Interviews With McNeill, Areson And Estrada
*MB: Ritz running 5K on Thanksgiving
Australia: Craig Mottram Runs A Comfortable 13:46 To Win Victorian Champs 5k
Sacramento: Stember Runs 19:30
*Adam Goucher Lists 10 Running Things To Be Thankful For
*10 Things To Be Thankful For In TrackTown USA
Some Interesting Science
*Science Of The Sport Examines Talent Vs. Training And Refutes The "10,000 Hour Rule" Says the "10,000 hour rule" is "nothing more than the realization of genetic potential."
*How Laziness Makes You A Better Runner Basically a study says your body tries to finds a stride/form that uses the least energy when running.
LRC Jason Vigilante Leaves The University Of Virginia Vigilante (the coach of Alan Webb and Robby Andrews), who rose to fame as the mid-d and distance coach at the University of Texas, has confirmed to LetsRun.com that he is no longer leading the Virginia program after three plus years in Charlottesville. *Discuss: Vig out at UVA
2011 NCAAs Are History *Men's Results *Women's Results *Entire Race Video Replays
Men: LRC Wisconsin Badgers Take Control Early As Lawi Lalang Dominates Lawi Lalang waited until 5k before deciding it was time to crush the competition
once and for all, while #1 Wisconsin
showed no fear and put a stranglehold on the competition from the very beginning and held off a belated charge from Oklahoma State and a surprising Colorado team as the Cowboys tried to three-peat. American Chris Derrick took home individual runner-up honors to cap a brilliant career in style. *Discuss
More: Wisco #1: *Give 'em five: Badgers lay claim to program's fifth national title *Krause earns redemption as Badgers storm to fifth national title host.madison.com
OSU #2: *Dave Smith Calls Loss "Disappointing" - But Expected www.okstate.com
Colorado #3: *Wetmore Calls Medina Most Improved Runner In Country www.denverpost.com *CU Coach Mark Wetmore Pleased With Buffs 3rd Place Run
Individual: Coach Li - I Think Lalang Would Have Got Course Record If He Was Pushed www.arizonawildcats.com
NCAAs On The Boards
- Wisconsin WINS, Okst crumbles, CU almost surprise 2nd
- Best Coaching jobs of teams at Nationals
- German Fernandez had a very good race
- Chad Hall in 44th...
- Eat it Solinsky and Bairu
- Ivy League Hype Machine Fails Again (re: Princeton)
- Is Lawi Lalang on drugs?
- Top-10 Coaching Jobs in Women's NCAA Division I in 2011
- OFFICIAL NCAA D1 UPDATE THREAD
UK Shot Putter Gets Nine Months In Prison For Trafficking Steroids, UK Anti-Doping Trying To Figure Out Who Drugs Were For Give him one month less of prison for every athlete he spills the beans on.
Olympic Marathon Trials Are Less Than 2 Months Away
- A Brief Chat With Brett Gotcher - The 2:10:36 Guy Was In Great Shape On Oct 2nd (46:51 10 miler) - Will He Be Ready In January?
- Get To Know Tera Moody - The 2:30:57 Runner Should Be A Contender
Australians In The News
- Benita Willis Talks About Training In Boulder With New Coach Brad Hudson Willis was the 2004 World Cross-Country champ.
- Craig Mottram Running 5,000 On Thursday Night As He Gets Ready For Zatopek 10,000 On Dec. 10th The hope is that he goes sub-13:30.
Philly Was Sunday *Results *Half Results
*RIP: Two Runners Die After Collapsing In Philly Marathon A 21-year-old man collapsed at the finish line and a 40-year-old collapsed about a quarter-mile before it.
*Philly Marathon: Tuko Folisho Wins In 2:19:16 Mariska Kramer wins women's in 2:35:46.
*Philly Half Results: Samuel Ndereba Wins In 64:04 (Close Race Places 1-6) Yihunlish Delelecha wins women's in 1:12:42.
International Weekend Results
- Haile Gebrselassie Wins Nijmegen 15k In 42:44 Over Kenya's Vincent Kipruo (43:15)
*Video Interview With Haile Post-Race Says that the race went out too slow.
- IAAF Recap Spain XC Meet:: World XC Bronze Medallist Vincent Kiprop Chepkok Gets The Win World Marathon silver medallist Priscah Jeptoo dominates the women's race.
- Crazy: Kenyans Race Against Strong Winds, Hot Conditions, And Possible Wildlife Attacks At Masai Half Marathon Nicholas Kipkemboi won in 62:28, Jemima Chelagat for the women in 67:07. Kipkemboi: "Coming here to win makes me proud. There was of course the fear of the wildlife, but I knew there was enough security so I had time to focus on the race."
- 2006 Boston Marathon Champ, Rita Jeptoo Busienei, Wins Local Kenyan Marathon Easily In 2:36:15 Paul Koech won the men's race in 2:15.
- Yokohama Women's International Marathon:
*Japan's Ryoko Kizaki Wins Yokohama International Women's Marathon She won over 2009 World Championships silver medallist, Ozaki, but said, "I was close to giving up when she spurted in the last two kilometres, but I tried not to give up until the last hundred metres. I kept thinking that I want to go to the London Olympics." However, her time might not be fast enough to get her selected.
*Britain’s Mara Yamauchi Secures Olympic Spot With 3rd Place (2:27:24)
*Rene Kalmer Runs Fastest Time By A South African In 12 Years For 5th (2:29:59)
*Japan Running News Recap Yokohama And Other Japan Results Japan marathon NR holder, Mizuki Noguchi, fades in Neijmegen 15k and gets 5th.
Q&A With World University Games 800m Champ Lachlan Renshaw Includes video with a pretty crazy last 100m. Renshaw is part of OTC and trains with Nick Symmonds and Tyler Mulder. Gives some insight into the OTC mid-distance training under Coach Mark Rowland, whose program seems to emphasize mileage more than many mid-d programs.
Steve Mullings Found Guilty He may face a lifetime ban as this is his second offense. *2nd Article
*BOA Chariman Colin Moynihan Accused Of Making "Misinformed Allegations" By Angry WADA Chief
*Colin Moynihan To Defend Anti-Doping Policy Against WADA
Week That Was
LRC Geoffrey Mutai Amazes Again, Adam Goucher Retires, & Lukas Verzbicas Calls It Quits We go behind the scenes to take a look at the last two weeks in the running world, which included the NYC Marathon, Adam Goucher's retirement, and Lukas Verzbicas leaving Oregon mid-season. Plus we take a look at the Phil Hersh-Ryan Hall spat and compare Hall to Tim Tebow.
Alan Webb Still With Nike
Look Out, Nike: Kenyan Brand Kourage Launched Of course Nike and Kourage both don't have a chance since Puma has partnered with little LetsRun.com for the LRC Puma Faas Challenge.
2011 ING NYC Marathon *Men's Results *Women's Results *Viewing Info *Flash Yahoo Photos
LRC 2:05:06!!! Geoffrey Mutai Caps Year In Style An unbelievable year in men's marathoning had an appropriate finish, as the Kenyan man who had the most unbelievable of all years, Geoffrey Mutai, smashed the previous NYC Marathon record by a stunning 2:38 - that's two minutes and 38 seconds. If it wasn't the
greatest 2nd-greatest men's marathon performance
ever, you'll have to tell us what was. American Meb Keflezighi hung with the leaders for 20 miles after a blistering 63:16 1st half and ended up with a much-deserved PR. Mutai picked up $200,000 by winning, but the big financial winner was runner-up Emmanuel Mutai, who won $635,000 ($500,000 for the WMM title).
LRC Mary Keitany Beats Herself The women's race was full of gut-wrenching drama, as Mary Keitany went out in a crazy 67:56. The problem was she came back in 74:42, as unheralded Firehiwot Dado (Rome Marathon champ) got the win.
LRC Post Race Interviews: Meb And His Coach Bob Larsen Talks About His PR Despite Throwing Up Plus the winners Geoffrey Mutai, Firehiwot Dado, men's and women's top 3, Ed Moran, Molly Pritz, Lauren Fleshman and Bobby Curtis.
- World Half Marathon Champ Wilson Kiprop And Former World XC Winner Emily Chebet Win Tuskys Wareng XC Races In Eldoret Olympic Champ Asbel Kiprop and World XC 4th placer Matthew Kisorio were with the lead pack for a while, but ended up dropping out.
- Delhi Half Marathon Recap Ethiopian Lelisa Desisa (59:30) won by less than a second over World XC Junior Champ Geoffrey Kipsang; World Half Marathon bronze medallist Sammy Kitwara (58:38 PB) was 4th. In the women's race, 2006 Commonwealth 10k Champ Lucy Kabuu Wangui won in 67:04 over Sharon Cherop (3rd in World Champs marathon) and defending champ Aselefech mergia. Mary Keitany's 65:50 WR did NOT go down.
- Tsuyoshi Ugachi Breaks Japan Domestic 10k Record With 27:41 Fastest 10k by a Japanese man on Japan soil; link includes video.
- IAAF Recap Florence Marathon: Berga Birhanu Bekele Wins In 2:09:52 Ethiopia's Asha Gigi won the women’s race in 2:31:36.
- Both Men's And Women's CR's Fall At Beirut Marathon As Tariku Jufar (2:11:14) And Seada Kedir (2:31:38) Win
- Great Ethiopian Run 10K: Mesenet Geremew And Abebech Afework Win
Canada: NCAA Stars Kendra Schaaf And Cam Levins Win Discuss here.
UK: Andy Vernon, Hattie Dean Win UK Trials For European XC Stephanie Twell qualifies in her second race back from breaking her ankle in a race last year. Before the race, there was talk of her possibly quitting XC for good.
*Steph Twell: “I loved it. I felt myself again and coming through the way I did really gave me confidence.”
Kenya: Upstarts Timothy Kiptoo And Phanancier Jemutai Win Kenyan XC Race *IAAF article
- Recommended Read: A Look Back At The '54 Drake Relays Jav Winner, Marion Hudson An amazing 3-sport athlete from the now non-existent Dana College. Many say racist attitudes in the 1950s kept him from going pro or competing in the Olympics. Article calls him "one of the greatest athletes no one has ever heard of."
- 33-Year-Old Bolota Asmeron Is Getting Ready For The Olympic Marathon Trials He ran a 1:03:06 half to qualify and says he's shooting for "top 3 at least." Asmeron: "I've run like two and a half marathons and I feel like I'm a contender. I don't see anyone else out there having a better chance than me." We wonder if he'll run it in a speedsuit?
- Florida State's NCAA Champ Ngonidzashe Makusha Confident About London
- UMD Runner "Had My Life Goals Just Taken From Me"
- Shalane Flanagan Talks About Having Kara Goucher As A New Training Partner
- Princeton's Brian Leung Still Learning Lessons
Butcher's Blog Says It's Time For Marathons To Leave The IAAF "The time is ripe for a split from the IAAF; and the creation of an independent international road running federation which can oversee and regulate the sport properly."
- If Andrew Valmon And Maryland Track Program Can't Raise $9.5 Million By June 30th, They're Done Washington Post Fitzgerald Mosley: "One of the reasons we're so strong - the No. 1 track team in the world - is because of that college system. If the University of Maryland cuts its men's team, what's [the collegiate landscape] going to be looking like five or 10 years from now?"
- Toni Reavis: "Distance Racing Has Hit The Wall" Reavis complains about the economic status of US distance running and, like us, he criticizes the Competitor Group for cutting prize money and paying one big pro to "solo effort" their races for an easy win.
- Blogger Refutes Reavis And Says Distance Running Is Healthier Than Ever (Even If Not Financially) "Running is really about other things - competition, testing boundaries, being fit - isn't it? And by those measures the sport has never been healthier."
- Master Athletes Are Getting Caught Doping, Too However, many claim to be taking "banned" substances for medicinal purposes.
UK Legal Stuff:
*A Change In Tax Laws Might Persuade Usain Bolt To Compete In The UK
*India Threatens To Boycott 2012 Games They're protesting London's sponsorship deal with Dow Chemical, the company that owns Union Carbide, which was responsible for the huge 1984 environmental disaster in Bhopal.
*Welsh Disc Thrower Supports BOA Olympic Ban For Selfish Reasons
Post-NCAA XC News *Men's 2km Standings *5km Standings *8km Standings *Final Men's Results *Women's 4km Standings *Women's Final Results *Entire Race Video Replays *LRC Puma Prediction Contest Scores Here *DII Prediction Contest Scores (DIII Coming) *LRC Men's Photo Gallery *LRC Women's Photo Gallery
- LRC Women's Photo Gallery
- LRC Men's Photo Gallery
- LRC Men's 2km Standings *5km Standings *8km Standings *Women's
hired a Chinese expertused our excel training to let you stat geeks take a look at where everyone in the field stood at the various checkpoints within the race. Who blew up the most? Who moved up the most?
- LRC Puma Prediction Contest Scores Here
- Lawi Lalang: "After the 4k, I was ready to go. If anybody was going to go with me, I was ready."
- Jordan Hasay: "I thought I had it." "I thought I had it. I was keying off her. I knew she was the one to beat. It just came down to the last couple of strides. It's kind of a bummer to get all of the way to the end and get beat."
- Nice Pre-Race Article On Lalang With Nice Quotes From Coach Li: "Lawi is not the same now as he was last spring. He is better and he is more confident ..." "But this is his biggest race ever and there are great expectations. You still have to race on the day. I am eager to see how he responds." LetsRun.com says - He responded quite well.
- MB: Breakdown of best NCAA runners by state *NCAA scoring by HS state
2011 NCAAs Are History *Men's Results *Women's Results *Entire Race Video Replays
Women: LRC Georgetown, Reid Win Tight Battles Six women kicked for home over the last 400m of the race but in
the end it turned into the duel
many expected and Sheila Reid of Villanova got the narrow win over Jordan Hasay.
The big surprise was in the team's race, where the Georgetown women, who were only third at Big East, won by eight over Washington as #1 Florida State faltered and finished 4th. *Discuss
More: *Georgetown Gets Its First National CC Title GUHoyas.com
*Washington Comes Up 8 Points Short GoHuskies.com
*#1 FSU Finishes 4th & Coach Karen Harvey Pulls No Punches"I felt like I was watching a nightmare. I really thought there was no way this is happening." www.seminoles.com
*Wetmore Says 11th-Placed Colorado Women Purposely Peaked For PAC-12s, Not NCAAs www.denverpost.com
*The FSU women finished fourth and the men 12th at NCAA Cross Country Championships www.seminoles.com
*Lananna Says Hasay's Runner-Up Finish Was A Big Step Forward As She Didn't Get Antsy & Kick Too Early www.oregonlive.com
A Former Leading Lady In The News
Soap Opera: 1991 World 10,000 Champ Liz McColgan Cleared Of Attacking Husband But the evidence reveals she had been having an affair, he had installed spyware on her computer to track her typings, and he had a secret SIM card to send her and her boyfriend text messages.
USATF Showing Some Leadership
Track And Field Will Be Back In The Garden The Millrose Games may have
died moved to the Armory but USATF has stepped up and shown some leadership by announcing they will put on a new meet at Madison Square Garden next year, the US Open. Bernard Lagat says he's running it and most importantly ESPN will be televising it, showing the world our sport is
not a complete joke and can be held on a grand stage. Three cheers for USATF (we're not sure if we've ever said those words in the same sentence). *MBoard Thread *USATF Article
College XC/Track News
*42 Years Ago From Tuesday, Lindgren Edged Pre At PAC-6s
*(Boston) Marathon Monday Ranked One Of Best College Traditions At Boston University Day drinking is a plus for most people, including this student. "Definitely, the wildest and most out-of-control moments in my college life have been Marathon Monday and Halloween. I mean on Marathon Monday you have the day-drinking, and it's spring time so kids are kind of going a little nuts because it's finally warm in Boston."
*An Incredible Hire: Allen Johnson Hired As Air Force Assistant We wouldn't have even made him interview.
*Maryland Track Alums Vent To Washington Times About Possibly Losing Program
He Will Be Missed Adam Goucher Retires Goucher is having knee surgery on Friday and says his competitive racing career is over. We've always said that one way to judge whether a runner's
career was a good one or not is simple: Were They Good Enough That They Could Retire Or Just Quit? Goucher certainly is retiring, as he had an INCREDIBLE career - Foot Locker champ, NCAA champ indoors, NCAA champ outdoors
and NCAA champ in XC, USA champ in XC and track and an Olympian. Goucher is a runner at heart and we wouldn't rule out seeing him in the 2016 Marathon Trials.
*MB: Adam Goucher retires
Frankfurt *Larger Image Of Kipsang At Finish
Frankfurt: Oh-So-Close: 2:03:42 - Wilson Kipsang's World Record Assault Comes Up Just Short IAAF The world of marathoning continues to be simply amazing
on the men's side.
*AP Recap Levy Matebo was second (2:05:16) and Albert Matebor third (2:05:25) as the women's CR was broken by Mamitu Daska (2:21:59).
Pre-Race: Last Year's 2:04:57 Course Record Holder Wilson Kipsang Says World Record Can Fall At Sunday's BMW Frankfurt Marathon Kipsang may be getting a bit ahead of himself, but he's very good. More on Kipsang here.
Bank Of America Chicago Marathon *Results *Yahoo Photos
LRC Moses Mosop A Superstar, Liliya Shobukhova Becomes Second-Fastest Woman Ever Updated Moses Mosop dominated the final miles in Chicago after Wesley Korir tried to make it interesting. Russian Liliya Shobukhova ran 2:18:20 to become the second-fastest woman ever. American Ryan Hall ran 2:08:04 for 5th. Great for any other American marathoner, so-so for him.
LRC: Wesley Korir Impresses With 2:06:15 Second Place In Chicago The former Louisville Cardinal broke the race up with a surge at 30km. Afterwards, he revealed what he was trying to do.
Ryan Hall Says He Needs More Time At Sea Level To Work On Turnover RW
LRC Non-Quotes Of The Day From 2011 Bank Of America Chicago Marathon Hall talks about what 2:08 means, Canova talks about the world record.
LRC Quick Recap With Men's Splits: Moses Mosop Breaks Course Record At 2011 Bank Of America Chicago Marathon, Shobukhova Runs 2:18:20
NYRR Dash To The Finish Line 5k *Results
LRC Chris Thompson, Sara Hall Win, Ritz Is 3rd (link fixed) Hall continued her fine fall campaign with the win in this race that serves as a huge NYRR recruiting tool. Most importantly for US distance fans, Dathan Ritzenhein did well and emerged from the race healthy (link fixed to story with Hall interview).
LRC Healthy Ritz Talks About Marathon Trials, His Track Ambititions And More After double foot surgery in March, a healthy Ritz ran what was likely his only race before the Olympic Marathon Trials in 10 weeks. He talked about his preparations for the Marathon Trials, his desire to run faster on the track, and showed he stil has a lot of fire: "The talent's still there. I'm still young. I'm 28 so hopefully I just keep getting better."
NCAA Women's Photo Gallery
NCAA Men's Photo Gallery (500+ Photos)
Beautiful People (NCAA XC Banquet Photos)
NCAA XC Is Here
LRC NCAA XC Prediction Contest Powered By Puma Our world-famous NCAA Prediction Contests are back. Tell us who will win in Terre Haute and you could win some cool Puma gear or $200,010 if you have a perfect ballot.
Cross-Country For The "Geekiest" And "Nerdiest" (Discuss Here)
LRC Catching Up With Olympian Michael Stember:
Olympian Stember On Dunking A Basketball, Nerds Running Cross-Country, And Trying To Break 18 Minutes For 5k We know it drives a few people nuts when we call one of our own interviews a MUST read, but we are quite proud of this one. Stember talks about everything - from wondering if he really should have been an 800-meter runner, to having figured out the inner-city school problem, to solving the energy crisis and much more. Along the way he admits he once ran a 4-minute mile after months of drinking and only 3 weeks of running, admits to Gallowalking during his current training and says he has secured a rabbit to pace him to a sub-18 5k so he can win his bet on CharityBets.
NYC Men's Photo Gallery
NYC Women's Photo Gallery
Week In Review
LRC Week That Was: Wilson Kipsang's Near Miss, US Men's Marathoners Vs. Frankfurt, Mark Wetmore And CU At PAC-12s And The Wisconsin Men At Big 10s We take at look at Wilson Kipsang's near world record run in Frankfurt, discuss how the entire history of US men's marathoning was eclipsed in Frankfurt and then turn to a discussion of NCAA XC action.
Wilson Kipsang Just Misses World Record (And Coolest Finish Of A Marathon We've Seen)
Training Corner (More In The Training Forum)
- Anyone else run hard workouts in the very-early morning?
- Stitches, breathing, and racing
- Anyone ever made a comeback after something serious (cancer)?
- I lost the spark between me and running
- How to develop speed endurance
BMW Berlin Marathon Photos! Makau Takes Geb's World Record
A Scintillating Men's 10,000 Finish (US Visitors Only)
Train Smarter (More In The Training Forum)
- Lydiard vs magill vs malmo for summer cross country training
- Couple questions about summer training?
- Peter Snell Interview and his thoughts on Lydiard training
- Sprinter to Distance : My quest to run sub 2
Universal Sports Back To Top