Penn Relays *Penn Results (And Photos Of Each Race) *Drake Results *Penn Video
LRC Nick Symmonds Runs 1:44.0, Leo Manzano Outkicks Bernard Lagat to Highlight 2012 Penn Relays Distance Action Nick Symmonds solo'd a 1:44.0 800m in impressive fashion to run away from Khadevis Robinson who opened his 2012 season with a 1:44.9 in the
DMR. All that did was give Bernard Lagat a big lead which he coughed up to Leo Manzano. Plus, Oregon, Princeton, and Penn State (with Robby Creese on the anchor) all get their second Penn titles of 2012.
*US Dominates Relays at Penn AP Recap
*Madison, Felix, Knight, & Jeter go 42.19 @ Penn!!
*Asafa Powell at Penn For Sponsors, Not to Run
Lagat: "I felt that my legs were a bit heavy"
*Nick Symmonds: "I said if I’m going to come all the way here, I might as well throw one down" + Oregon's Anne Kesselring Gets Performer of Meet Post race interview with Nick here.
Penn Saturday On the Boards:
Worth a Look *Getty Images Photos of Kenya
- Thanks To Facebook, Brit Lee Merrien Named To Olympic Marathon Team The Brits were only going to send two to the Olympics in one of the marquee events until a P.R. campaign got the selectors to change their minds.
- US: Evan Jager And Jerry Schumacher Talk To Illinois Paper About His Steeple Debut "The steeple is kind of looked at as an event that if you can't cut it in the 1,500, 5K or 10K." The difference is Jager could cut it in the 5,000, making the US team in 2009 at age 20.
- US: Boredom Is Why Ryan Hall Colored His Hair It's the question you've all been wanting to know.
- Kenya: Edna Kiplagat And Mary Keitany Vow To Bring Home Gold, Patrick Makau Says He Has To Accept Decision Not Being Named To Team
- Germany: 2:06 Man Seboka Diriba Tola Takes On Yuki Kawauchi At Dusseldorf Marathon This Weekend Kawauchi is a legend on LRC for running 2:08:37 while having a full-time job.
- Germany: 2:05:41 Guy You've Never Heard Of Going For Course Record In Hamburg The author is referencing this thread.
US Pro Distance News
- RR: Andrew Wheating Talks About His Comeback, Making The '08 Games, And Looking Ahead To The Trials On his and Russell Brown's comedy sketches, he said: "I'm a goofball. Jim Carrey is without a doubt one of my biggest idols ... A lot of people don't know that Russ and I are really weird people."
- Kara Goucher And Abdi Abdirahman To Race US Half Marathon Champs On June 16th
- Good Interview: Ryan Hall Has Good News, He's Training At Altitude Again Says his plantar fascitis is getting better and talks about how he and Sara share a pacer who paces him on the bike and her in track workouts.
Sprint Action: Usain Bolt In The 100, Blake Vs. Powell In 200
Tomorrow Next Weekend (May 5)
- Asafa Powell Vs. Yohan Blake 200m Showdown Set For Saturday Bolt will go against a solid field including Nesta Carter, Lerone Clarke, Michael Frater, and US's Darvis Patton. Carmelita Jeter against Kerron Stewart in the 100 and Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce vs. Bianca Knight in the 200.
- Bolt's Coach, Glen Mills, Says He's Worried The London Weather Won't Be Conducive To A New 100m WR
*IAAF Mills Teleconference Highlights He won't say who's better, but says Bolt has more range and talks about their training differences.
- Also Saturday: National Student Champs Another Shot For SA Athletes To Hit Olympic "A" Standards LJ van Zyl and possibly Caster Semenya will compete.
- May 12: Ponce Grand Prix Preview: Dayron Robles, Natasha Hasting, Dee Trotter, Dwain Chambers, Trell Kimmons Highlight Fields
- For Those Who Use Money As Excuse Not To Chase Their Dreams: Atlanta Games 400m Silver Medalist Says Funding Isn't Necessary For Success In Track And Field "We made big decisions and went into debt. That shaped us. It made us stronger, better and hungrier. The lottery funding wouldn't have done that."
- BBC: Eight Years Ago In Athens Paula Radcliffe Was The Favorite For Gold, Now She May Be A Long Shot Haile G: "I don't think she will win the Olympics."
Kenyan Olympic Team Named
Kenyan Olympic Marathon Team Announced: Makau AND Mutai Left Off The Kenyan Olympic Marathon team was announced (video here) and the AP is making a big deal of the World Record holder Patrick Makau being left off.
The big news in our minds is the world's best marathoner in 2011, Geoffrey Mutai, being left off in favor of Mosop Mosop (and Abel Kirui). The women's team was the top 3 in London, although Employee #1 was surprised Boston Champ Sharon Cherop was left off.
*IAAF *Athletics West
Discuss: The Kenyan OG Marathon Squad revealed
*World Record Holders not chosen for Olympic Team
USATF Gets A New Boss
USATF Hires Sports Marketer And Former Board Member Max Siegel As CEO Siegel most recently was a sports marketer and formerly was a music exec and President
of Dale Earnhardt
racing (NASCAR). Problematic to some is he's a former USATF Board member and his sports marketing agency was hired by USATF in October. USATF must have liked what he did as now he's the boss. The question is will the board let him do his job?
*LRC's Wejos Quick Thoughts
*3 Wire Sports Alan Abrahamson Reacts Alan says, "he has big-time credentials in auto racing and the music industry." Alan wants to see a track meet in Cowboys stadium and so do we.
*Phil Hersh Of Chicago Tribune Reacts Hersh is very critical of the process of how he was hired. We agree the process sucked (and Hersh takes a few shots at Stephanie Hightower), but that doesn't mean Siegel cannot do a good job.
On The Boards: Give your opinion on Siegel's hire
Women's 2012 London Is History *Top Results *Live Splits *Video Highlights *Mary Keitany Photo Gallery From Kenya *Getty Images Photos From Kenya
LRC Mary Keitany Runs Fastest Final 10km In Marathon History To Repeat & Become The #3 Performer In History The Kenyans certainly came to play when it was time to battle it out for the title and London Olympic spots, as they went 1-2-3-4-5,
but in the end, everyone was left talking to about Keitany, who used a 5:07 23rd mile and 4:59 24th mile to pull away from world champion Edna Kiplagat and mark herself as the Olympic favorite.
LRC Meet Mary Keitany Employee #1 met her in her home in Kenya.
On The Boards: *Live Update Thread *Kenyan Olympic team
Employee #1 Goes To Kenya
LRC Meet Mary Keitany The half marathon world record holder destroyed the best women's field in the world last year in London. Then on the hilly New York course, she went out faster than Paula Radcliffe during her world record before falling apart miserably. Now she has to qualify for the Olympics in London. Get to know Mary Keitany.
*Keitany Photo Gallery *Getty Images Photos From Kenya
LRC Meet Wilson Kipsang: "If I had to compare him to an NFL quarterback, I'd compare him to Peyton Manning." link fixed We share with you this unpublished segment on Wilson Kipsang from Employee #1's final piece in the 8 Days of Glory Series. Short segment with video interview with Kipsang overlooking the Rift Valley.
LRC The Electrifying Abel Kirui The two-time World Champion has dominated non-rabbited races. Can he do the same in London on Sunday? Learn about his training and his set-up in Iten as he talks about phantom planets and more - from Employee #1's trip to Kenya.
New: Renato Canova Talks About Abel Kirui (Video)
Worth A Read: The Cool Story Of How Scott Overall Made The British Olympic Marathon Team A year ago he was selling shoes and about to quit the sport. Now he's an Olympic marathoner.
Non-London Marathon News
Meet Glenn Randall
LRC The Story Behind Glenn Randall (The Guy Who Led Boston) Who was that dude leading the first 10k of the Boston Marathon? Believe it or not, he's an NCAA champion (in another sport). LetsRun.com talks to the guy who made the first 10k of the marathon entertaining. His frontrunning was no stunt and has paid off big time in the past. This time it resulted in a 2:37:13 61st place finish.
A Brief Chat With 2:10:47 Canadain Olympian Dylan Wykes Random facts from article:
1) After dropping out of Lake Biwa, he couldn't get into any other marathon but Rotterdam 2) He was never an All-American at Providence 3) He's given up being a vegetarian.
Jason Hartmann Still On Cloud 9 "If I never accomplish anything else in the sport of running again, I can look back at this and be really happy with my running career."
Boston Marathon Monday *Men's Results/Splits *Women's Results Splits *Winners Photo Gallery *Video Highlights
Recommended: Excellent Post By Science Of Sport On Boston Conditions: The Surge Between 25 And 30k And The Sun Did The Leaders In We'll have more LRC analysis but this post does an excellent job of explaining what happened. Also read this
post that explains why telling people to over-prepare for the heat may not be the best idea. And only 427 people deferred to next year's race.
RRW: Wesley Korir Comes From Behind For Shock Victory Korir, the former University of Louisville, Ron Mann-coached athlete was 57 seconds behind the leaders with less than five miles to go. Then the heat took its toll on leader Levy Matebo and Korir stormed to victory in 2:12:40 as American Jason Hartmann used a similar tactic to get 4th in 2:14:31. The winner was nearly 10 minutes slower than last year. Crazy.
*Top Results/Splits *Winners Photos *Video Highlights
More Men's Boston:
- Jason Hartmann On Getting 4th: "This is the body God gave me. I have no control over that, and I just try to do the best with the abilities I've been given." Denver Post
- Champ Wesley Korir And Jason Hartmann Talk About Prevailing In The Heat, Geoffrey Mutai Not Too Upset About Dropping Out Hartmann: "I circled this on my calendar and every day this is what I prepared for. I wasn't gonna fail today. I came here to do something, fortunately for me it worked out."
- A Race Of "Redemption" For Jason Hartmann In Boston (Article And Video) RW
- RW Takes A Look At Retro Win For Wesley Korir Post-race interview as well. Korir may do a lot of his training in Mennonite country in Canada but he is a great hot weather runner as he showed Monday.
- Geoffrey Mutai Dropping Out Complicates Kenyan Olympic Picture "Time Plus" will be a key factor for selecting the team. And Wesley Korir won't be on it.
High School Big News
17-Year-Old High Schooler Cayla Hatton Runs 33:17 10,000m Olympic Trials "B" Qualifier The prodigy only started running full-time this year. Now she's putting up a time that would make her 5th in the NCAAs last year. Truly ridiculous. The time is so fast some were wondering if it was a lap short, but this
it's legit and shows she ran every lap (16:30-16:46).
*A Q&A With HS Prodigy Cayla Hatton Two years ago, she was in awe of Kara Goucher and asking for her autograph. Now she'll be racing against people like her at USAs in the 10k.
World Indoors *Results *Video Highlights For US Visitors *UK Visitors *Yahoo Photos
LRC Men's 3,000m Final Lives Up To The Hype World 5,000m champion Mo Farah squared off with two-time world indoor champion Bernard Lagat and 2012
World leaders Augustine Choge and Edwin Soi of Kenya. Once again, Bernard Lagat was too good. They were all in contention on the final lap. There was some contact, two guys running on the infield, a DQ and a resintatement, but none of that stopped Bernard Lagat from showing he's the best 3,000m runner in the world.
LRC 800s: Pamela Jelimo Is Back As USA's Erica Moore Gets Bronze, 18-Year-Old* Mohamed Aman Gets Gold The last time Pamela Jelimo was any good, Erica Moore wasn't an 800m runner. They both left World Indoors pleased, as Moore made her first sub-2:00 clocking count with a bronze medal. In the men's race, 18-year-old* favorite Mohamed Aman got gold. On The Boards: Erica Moore 800m at Worlds
LRC Hellen Obiri Stuns Four-Time World Champ Defar link fixed Obiri Closes In 4:06.6 For Gold Get used to the name Hellen Obiri. Last year, she ran internationally for the first time and won the Kenyan 1,500m championships. This year, in the fourth 3,000m of her life, she came from behind to stop Meseret Defar from getting her 5th world title.
IAAF Final Day Recap: Brittney Reese Is Incredible, Aries Meritt Upsets Liu Xiang, Will Claye Wins Brittney Reese had her back to the wall in the long jump, so what did she do? Unleash a jump that made her #3 all-time to win.
US Men's Olympic Trials Marathon News *LRC Vote Totals *Men's Results *Women's Results *Mile-By-Mile Splits *Yahoo Flash Photos
Marathon Trials Analysis And Reaction The 2012 Trials race was a classic. We throw some love to the top 3, ponder Ritz's future in the marathon, tell you who had the best debut, and tell you who that guy you never heard of was. Plus we talk about Meb's 74-year-old badass dad and look at the fortune of some old timers who didn't make the team, Josh Cox and Dan Browne, in addition to the ones who did (Meb and Abdi).
Race Recap: Meb Keflezighi Captures 2012 Olympic Trials Marathon Title
Because We Love You: Final Day to Watch Town of Runners Free Online From Tribeca Film Festival Watch Here
Drake Relays/Other Weekend Action *Drake Results *Drake Relays Newspaper Section *More NCAA Results
Drake: Wallace Spearmon's 20.02 Breaks Michael Johnson's Meet Record at Drake Spearmon has been running great this year. It was so cold at Drake Lolo Jones didn't run, yet Spearmon ran 20.02. Jenny Simpson won the 1500m in 4:12.95 over Maggie Infield.
*More on Spearmon
*Chaunte Lowe's 6'6" Gets Meet Record at Drake
*Drake Relays Section
Texas: High Schooler Aldrich Bailey Runs 45.19 in Texas
Stanford Cardinal Meet Sunday Night *Entries *Live Results *Schedule (Top 5000ms at 11:30 pm Eastern, 10ks at Midnight) *Live Stream
Start Lists The 10,000m are usually the highlights and this year the men's race is led by Sam Chelanga but there will be a lot of attention on collegians Chris Derrick (28:26) and Cam Levins. The race should decide the Canadian and Australian 10k teams as well. The women's race features the return to the track of Deena Kastor plus Desiree
Davila, Amy Hastings and Lisa Uhl. The men's 5000m features Lopez Lomong, Nick Willis, Evan Jager and Matt Tegenkamp. The mid d races aren't great but Alan Webb is in the the 1500.
In Case you Missed It: Deena Kastor Ready for Return to Track
*Alberto Salazar Says Dathan Ritzenhein Pulled Out Of Mt. SAC With Toe Injury, Won't Race Payton Jordan Either
Oregon Women Dominate 4 X 1,500 Without Jordan Hasay At Penn Hard to believe this was the Duck women's first win at Penn.
53.8 Last Lap Gets Princeton DMR Victory updated The men's DMR was a sit-and-kick affair as every team but 3 was in it until the final kick. Princeton's Donn Cabral showed his new speed and unleashed a 53.8 final lap to get the win over Indiana's Andy Bayer in the slowest winning time since 1973. Princeton won the 4 x mile last year and will get a chance to defend tomorrow.
*Former Greats At Penn Relays Remember Incredible LeRoy Walker
*LaShawn Merritt, Now Coached By Loren Seagrave, Will Make Outdoor Debut At Penn
*Full Coverage from Philly Paper
Drake: *Cold, Wind Still The Story At Drake As Kara Patterson Wins Javelin
*Lolo Jones With NFL Star Ndamukong Suh At Drake Relays Press Conference
High School: Edward Cheserek went out in 57 on the first lap of the 400 to lead his team to DMR victory.
*Tyson Gay Surprises High School Sprint Star Levonte Kermit Whitfield With Entry To adidas Grand Prix
Florida: Marvin Bracy Slips Out Of Blocks, Still Runs 10.25 Into The Wind, The Fastest Time In High School This Year
*Sheila Reid Finally Gets A Penn Relays Title As Villanova Wins DMR Reid got the baton even with Tennessee and ran 4:40.8 to give Villanova the win in 11:01.03 (1,200 - 3:22.9, 400 - 52.9, 800 - 2:04.5). She actually didn't have the fastest leg, though, as Princeton's Greta Feldman (4:38.7) and BC's Caroline King (4:39.2) were faster.
*Pre-Race Q&A With Reid On Rest Of Season And Trying To Make Canadian Olympic Team
*Penn Relays Thursday Prep Recap Mary Cain won the mile with a US-leading 4:39.28. Haley Pierce anchored in 4:42.9 to give Tatnall High the win in the DMR with a MR 11:28.86. Sophie Chase won girls 3k in 9:37.86.
*Jenn Suhr Just Misses US Indoor Record As She Wins Mall Pole Vault At 15'7" She says she might open outdoor season in the Saturday competition. AR holder Brad Walker won the men's title at 18-9 1/4. Bryan Clay was winning the Decathlon after the first 4 events, but decided not to run the 400. *Photo Gallery
*If It's Too Cold, Lolo Jones Could Scratch From Drake Relays "Oh, 45's definitely 'no way.' Even 50 is kind of, 'uhhh.'"
*Video: Iowa Win Close Race Over Minnesota In Women's 4 X 1,600
NY Times Article On Jesper Olsen, The "Real-Life Forrest Gump" He is on his second around-the-world run (40,000 kilometers on foot), which began July 2008 and should finish this July. Does about a marathon a day in all kinds of conditions, even when he had malaria.
- Definite Recommended Read: Running Times: "Often underrated, enigmatic Abdi Abdirahman has quietly made four Olympic teams" Abdi: "There are a lot of people out there on message boards and stuff who don't know what the hell they're talking about."
- UK 2:13 Marathoner Passed Up For Olympic Team Even Though Has "A" Standard He didn't hit the UK 2:12 standard, but they only have 2 on the team and one has a 2:15 PR.
- RRW: With More Than 90 Turns, Olympic Marathon Favors Tactical Approach Desiree Davila has already put 100 miles of training on the course.
- Ritz Blogs In Praise Of HS Teammate And Best Friend Jason Hartman Gives an inside look into the injury struggles Hartman has had to go through to get to the top.
Recommended Watch: Bekoji, Ethiopian Version Of Kenya's Iten
Watch "Town of Runners" For Free Through April 29th Movie about the small Ethiopian town of Bekoji, where Kenenisa Bekele (3 Olympic golds), Tirunesh Dibaba (2 Olympic golds), Derartu Tulu (2 Olympic golds), and Fatuma Roba (1 Olympic gold) were all born.
*Interview With Director Jerry Rothwell
US News Updates
- Good Interview: Jason Hartman On Being The Top American At Boston And Still Without A Sponsor "I often compare running to a job in sales. If you run well, or make a lot of sales, you can do well."
- Interesting: Sanya Richards-Ross No longer Thinks She Has Behcet's Syndrome & With New Diet She Thinks She Can Dominate In 2012
- Two-Time NCAA Runner-Up Donn Cabral: Princeton
Poster Boy"Bubble Boy" He's dreaming of the Olympics and leaving no stone unturned.
- Q&A With Morgan Uceny About Training And Her Win At The B.A.A. Mile "I always thought if I put my head down and trained as hard as I could every day that's all I needed to do. It's not about that. It's about training smarter ..."
- Blogger Estimates Boston Qualifying Rate Will Drop By A Third In 2013 Thanks To New Stricter Standards
RR: NY Times: The Footprints On A Path To Gold, Amantle Montsho Overcomes Obstacles to Become A World Champion Talks about her humble beginning in Botswana and how she has inspired a generation of female athletes.
Men's 2012 London Is History *Top Results *Live Splits *Video Highlights *Getty Images Photos From Kenya
LRC A New #1: Wilson Kipsang Destroys One Of Greatest Marathon Fields In History In his first marathon major, Kipsang certainly wasn't scared of the bright lights, as he did something unheard of in major marathoning in the year 2012. He took off before
halfway and used a 14:09 fifth 5km to obliterate the lead pack, as a 1:02:12 halfway wasn't fast enough for him, and he went to earn the largest margin of victory in 30 years, while Martin Lel was second. We recap it and speculate as to who gets the Kenyan Olympic spots and
tell you why
a DNF in our minds
is a positive for someone's Olympic hopes.
LRC Meet Wilson Kipsang: "If I had to compare him to an NFL quarterback, I'd compare him to Peyton Manning."
*NYTimes Recap Of London *London Organizers Men's Race Recap *2:08 Audio Interview With Kipsang *IAAF
*Joe Battaglia's Picks For Kenyan Team: Kipsang, Makau, Kirui
On The Boards: *Live Update Thread *Kenyan Olympic team Pre-Race: Makau won't start on Sunday and Kirui will win
*Video Highlights Here
Relay Season/NCAA Action Heats Up *K-Relays Results *Mt. SAC Live Results *More NCAA Results
Kansas Relays: Peter van der Westhuizen Wins Elite Mile In 3:56.90 Over AJ Acosta (3:57.08) And David Adams (3:58.44) Nick Symmonds was 4th in 4:01.57 as Jordan McNamara was 6th and Will Leer 7th. *Race Video *Bearded AJ Acosta Says He Won't Shave Until He Gets A Contract
*Bershawn Jackson Sets World Lead (48.2) In 400 Hurdles DeeDee Trotter won the 400 in 50.94.
Mt. SAC - Day 3: LRC Walter Dix 9.85!!! Duane Solomon Crushes NCAAs Best, Molly Beckwith Remains Undefeated Outdoors & Jeremy Wariner Loses Walter Dix's time was wind-aided but impressive nonetheless. Jeremy Wariner broke 45 but lost as Duane Solomon crushed a strong 800 field that included Charles Jock, Ryan Martin & Cas Loxsom. Beckwith's 2:00 was easily best of the ladies 800s. Plus Jason Richardson, a 17-year-old winner in the women's 400, and more.
*IAAF: Jamale Aarrass Wins Over Deep Mile Field With World Leading 3:52.21 Canadians Taylor Milne (3:54.29) and Nate Brannen (3:54.81) went 2-3. There was also a WL for US LJer Brittney Reese.
*Charles Jock Hits "Rusty Speed Bump" At Mt. SAC
*AP Recap Of Day 3
LRC Cam Levins 13:18.37 Outkicks Lawi Lalang The Southern Utah legend Levins, known for his 160 miles/week, used a 55-second last lap to become the first collegian to defeat Lalang at a distance over 1,500m this year. Former NCAA Champ and LRC Puma Faas Challenge Winner David McNeill also got an Olympic "A" qualifier (sub-13:20) in 3rd. Molly Huddle won the 5,000 at Mt. SAC as Abbey D'Agostino and Lucy Van Dalen were third and fourth in the 5,000. Jenny Barringer did not run. Canada's Hilary Stellingwerff (4:31.04) and French drug cheat Jamal Aarrass (3:52.21 ahead of Taylor Milne and Nate Brannen) won the Puma Miles and $2,500.
*Last Lap Or Full Race Of Levins' Win
Previous Mt. SAC
Mt. SAC Relays: Live Results
LRC: Evan Jager Throws Down Last Lap Of 64, Wins Steeple Debut In Olympic B Standard Of 8:26 updated Jager's steeple debut was a big success as he crushed WC team member Dan Huling. There no doubt is room for improvement as he closed in 64 seconds and this was his steeple debut. In the 10k, Stephen Sambu ran 28:06. *Track Focus On Jager *Post-Race Interview With Jager *Jager's Last 2 Laps
*Oregonian: It looks like OTC/Portland's Evan Jager has found an event Jager: "I know I'm a pretty good 5k runner, gut on the world stage, I think the steeple would be my best event. So that's why we ultimately made the decision to switch to it."
Boston Women *Women's Results Splits *Men's Results/Splits *Winners Photo Gallery *Video Highlights
Sharon Cherop Outkicks Jemima Sumgong Cherop was third last year and third at the World Championships but she got the huge win here as she outdueled countrywoman Jemima Sumgong. Believe it or not, this was
5th straight year the women's race has been decided by 3 seconds or less.
*Top Results/Splits *Video Highlights Including Exciting Women's Finish
*RunnersWorld Article On Cherop's Win, Post-Race Interview As Well
*40-Year-Old First American Sheri Piers Is From Maine But Was Ready For Heat Thanks To Training On A Treadmill Text and interview.
Alberto's Book On Sale Now, Buy It From Our Partner Amazon And Support LRC
Great Read If You Didn't Read It Yesterday: Alberto Salazar Unplugged - Part II This interview with Amby Burfoot is
From Ritz's struggle in the marathon, to Ritz's form change, to Alberto's competitive relationship with Jerry Schumacher, to Galen Rupp's marathon future and, to Alberto's biggest
regrets, Amby Burfoot leaves no question unasked and Alberto doesn't shy away from any of them and talks about Rupp running 12:45 and in the 26:20s.
*Part I: Alberto's Book & The "Duel In The Sun"
MB: An Incredible Amby Burfoot Interview With Alberto Salazar
Ryan Hall Movie
LRC Ryan Hall Feature Film In The Works A full length film on Ryan Hall's quest for glory in London 2012 is in the works. Learn more about the film "41 Days," watch a trailer, and learn how you can help support the film and get some Ryan Hall memorabilia. Image below.
On The Boards: Ryan Hall's Big News
LRC Carey Pinkowski Reflects On Khalid Khannouchi's Career: "He Was The Absolute Best I've Ever Seen" The Chicago marathon director talks about the man who made his name
in the Windy City. Plus quotes from London Marathon director Dave Bedford and a tweet from Ryan Hall.
LRC Marathon Legend Khalid Khannouchi Officially Retires Khalid Khannouchi, one of the greatest marathoners of all time, has told LRC that he is officially retiring from competitive running. Khalid helped revolutionize the sport of marathon running, setting two world record in the span of three years, including his final one at the "Greatest Marathon Ever Run" - the 2002 London Marathon matchup that featured Khannouchi, Paul Tergat and Haile Gebrselassie.
Lisbon Action *LRC Updated Full Photo Gallery
Shalane Flanagan Wins Lisbon Half, Tadese Three-Peats Updated with IAAF story The American got the big upset win (just
as we predicted)
and Zersenay Tadese got the win but not the world record (just as we predicted - a broken clock is accurate twice a day). Flanagan ran
68:51 for the win.
OTB: Flanagan wins Lisbon. Lock for Olympic gold?
*Will there be an official Lisbon half-marathon thread?
*Letsrun...seriously your picking Shalane Flanagan to win the 2012 Lisbon Half Marathon?
*Full Photo Gallery
*LRC Lisbon Half Marathon Preview
US Women's Olympic Trials Marathon News *LRC Vote Totals *Men's Results *Women's Results *Yahoo Flash Photos
Flanagan Over Davila, Goucher Gets Third As Top 4 All Break Old OTrials Record Flanagan (2:25:38) pulled away from Davila (2:25:55) and Goucher was third in 2:26:06. Amy Hastings broke the old Trials record at 2:27:17 but didn't make the team. Deena Kastor was 6th in 2:30:40.
- New: Amy Hastings Reacts To Fourth Place Finish Obviously disappointed, but a good run for Amy.
- Post-Race Reaction None of the four former Olympic marathoners in the race made the team. Hear from the top 3 and them.
- Women's Results
- Goucher: "I never imagined myself winning this race based on the short period of time I had to train." Oregonian
Penn Lagat Manzano DMR Highlights (More Here)
We Never Posted These: Paula and Haile G in Vienna
Usain Bolt Always In The News
Lengthy Look At Usain Bolt And His Entourage Telegraph Bolt says he drinks Guinness and "Once
a year I will clean my room, just because
I feel I should."
*Usain Bolt Only Worth $6 Million? This can't be right. He's got to make more than that per year.
*Usain Bolt's Virgin Broadband Ad A Big Hit In Britain
This Deserves More Attention
RIP: LeRoy Walker Pioneering 1996 USOC President, 1976 US Olympic Track Coach Dies Dr. Walker, the grandson of slaves, was born in the segregated South yet rose to the top of the US Olympic ranks. NY Times obituary.
*Legends At Penn Remember LeRoy Walker
*Philip Hersh: LeRoy Walker Was A Man Of Olympian Achievement
Pro Marathon News
Ryan Hall Running ING NYC Marathon Hall and Kiwi Kim Smith were announced for this year's race at this year's Opening Day presented by Asics, which featured a live ABC7 broadcast (full replay here)
and even the "Ridiculously Photogenic Guy." It will be Hall's second New York City Marathon.
Discuss: Ryan Hall Running NYC
Virgin London Marathon Photos
Meet Wilson Kipsang (More On Wilson Here, Video Highlights Of 2012 London Here)
AJ Acosta Says He Won't Shave Until He Gets A Contract
Updated Boston Photos (Now With Many More Men's And Women's Photos)
Andrew Wheating Was Dealing With Hamstring Injury For 7 Months, Back Running Now Andrew Wheating In Drag, Moonwalking, And Lip Syncing Whitney
Update: Where Has Andrew Wheating Been? Most interviews are completely pointless. "Tell us about your race ..." This one is very different. You might not want to watch even the full 6 minutes. We did.
*MB: Wheating interview on injury, completely serious !
Men's Boston Highlights (Larger Here)
Bekoji, Ethiopia: Town Of Runners By now many of you have heard of Iten, Kenya - the tiny town where many Kenyan stars train. The Ethiopian town of Bekoji may be even more impressive,
it is where Kenenisa Bekele (3 Olympic golds), Tirunesh Dibaba (2 Olympic golds), Derartu Tulu (2 Olympic golds), and Fatuma Roba (1 Olympic gold) were all born. Lengthy Guardian profile on the town and its unheralded coach Sentayehu Eshetu. A movie on the town - "Town of Runners" - comes out later this month.
*Bekoji Photo Gallery
Alberto Salazar's Book Released And Endurance Now On DVD
Spice Up Your Day With This Steeple Fail (Turn Up Volume) *MB Thread
Train Smarter (More In The Running Training Forum)
- Marathon Training Thread - Week Ending 3/25
- Bored X coach, willing to give unwanted advice
- What are your best bang-for-the-buck running tips?
Three Nice Deals On Running Shoes
1) Nike Free 2+ $59.98 For men - 1 color only at this price. Other colors and women $79.99-$99.99.
2) Adidas Leap $49.98
3) Brooks Adrenaline 11 $59.98
Little LRC gets a commission with your purchase.
Train Smarter - More In The Running Training Forum
- Kellogism vs Coeism
- Based on these workouts, what event would you have me run?
- Does a night of little sleep ruin my workout
- Running a Marathon on No Training?