Quote Of The Day
“Mass participation has hurt the sport, in my mind. It’s made a lot of people a lot of money. I have to be careful what I say because I get called out on it sometimes, but I don’t believe that starting and finishing a marathon makes you a marathoner. I don’t believe that. If you’re racing it to go as fast as you can, that’s completely different than being part of an event and just wanting to get from point A to point B. …”
“The industry is huge, and the industry is running the sport now, not the sport running the industry. … The focus has changed and now there are absurd headlines, and I have to say, you are just as guilty, publishing articles like ‘5 Weeks to a Faster 5K’ or ’10 Weeks to a Marathon PR.’ It’s bullshit. It’s just selling magazines or it just caters to people who are running 4 hours for a marathon or 25 minutes for a 5K.”
– British marathon legend and 2:07:13 man Steve Jones talking to Competitor.com about how he thinks the running industry has hurt the sport. Jones is as old school and blue collar as they come and isn’t thrilled with today’s world of pacemakers, heart-rate monitors, energy drinks and other gimmicks.
*MB: Steve Jones on running today
Super Hot on LetsRun: Kipchoge: "I have been doing all things at 80 percent"
- Ryan Hall Q&A: "I’ve had clinically low testosterone levels, which affects everything."
- How many miles would Mo Farah have to run consecutively for you to beat him in a mile?
- TC Marathon Result Anomaly or Race Cheat?
- What would you tell your kid if they wanted to major in medieval history??
- What to do about banned sprinter Steve Mullings? Do you think he's crazy or is there a huge conspiracy in Jamaica?
- Not making this up: German athletes shoot ozone up their rectum to try to improve their performance
- Steve Jones on running today