The Week That Was - Our Weekly Recap
LRC The #1 Recruit In The Land Signs With ... New Mexico? The #1 recruit in the land has decided where he'll be running next year and coach Joe Franklin is a very happy man as a result. Whom do we consider to be the top recruit???
Tonight: Medtronic Twin Cities Mile @ 7:53PM ET *Results Will Be Posted Here
Elite Fields Set For Today's Medtronic Twin Cities Mile Men's side is led by Nick Willis, Will Leer, Boaz Lalang and Garrett Heath while the women's field includes Phoebe Wright, Sarah Brown, Heather Kampf, Gen LaCaze and Jamie Cheever.
Other Upcoming Road Action
- Saturday: RunnerSpace Q&A With Matt Tegenkamp Who's Prepping For The US 25k Champs This Weekend Teg says he'll be on the roads a lot more often this year, but doesn't mean "track is out of the question".
- Sunday: Japan World Championships Marathoners Yuki Kawauchi And Mizuki Noguchi Headline Sendai Half MarathonThey'll face defending champion Johana Maina (1:01:28), sub-60 man Mekubo Mogusu and 2012 Fukuoka Marathon winner Joseph Gitau (1:01:19).
- May 18: Kim Smith Headlines Field For Brooklyn Half
- May 19: Ryan Hall Racing Bay To Breakers 12k The last time Hall finished a race was the Healthy Kidney 10-K in New York City last May.
- May 26: Recovered From The Shin Injury Which Kept Her Out Of The London Marathon, Tirunesh Dibaba Will Race The Bupa Great Manchester Run Road 10k Why does every UK road race have "Great" in the title?
- May 27: Mo Farah Will Go For His 5th Straight Victory At Bupa London 10k Scott overall is also in the field; Steph Twell leads the women.
- The BAA's First Race Since Boston Bombing (The BAA 10k) Fills Up Fast 6,500 runners filled the field in 13 hours.
- SA's Rene Kalmer Still Confident She Can Defend Her Spar Women's GP Series Title Even Though She's 10th In The Standings She finished 4th in the first race, but missed one due to injury and there are 3 more.
More Conference Champs This Weekend *Links To All NCAA Action
- Pac-12: Ken Goe: UO Men Are Heavy Favorites To Repeat As Pac-12 Champions; The Women Could Be In Trouble On the women's size Arizona is favorite with UO and Arizona State also in the mix.
*Meet Site *Meet Schedule: Starts Saturday Replay on Pac-12 network Wednesday May 15th at 9PM ET.
- SEC: *Schedule/Streaming Info *Live Results/Start Lists
*Aggies Challenge For SEC Titles This Weekend
- Big 10: *Meet Home
*Wisconsin Men Excited About Big 10
- Big Sky: *Meet Home *Live Results/Entries *Schedule *Streaming
- IC4A/ECAC: *Schedule *Results *Info
- Recommended Read: RunBlogRun Looks Back At The Career Of Khadevis Robinson And Talks To Him About His Plans For 2013 With a wife, two kids, and a full-time coaching job at Ohio State, KD isn't sure what we'll see from him in 2013 or if he'll even be at US Champs in Des Moines.
- Erik Sowinski Gets A Nike Contract
- Good RW Q&A With Nick Willis, Who Is Taking An Approach To His 2013 Racing/Training Schedule More Like The One He Did In 2008 When He Won Olympic Silver Very interesting that his wife actually has a large say in his training and he gets her input on every workout beforehand. She's also there during the workouts along with coach Ron Warhurst.
- Willis Concedes That His 7-Race Win Streak This Season Will End At adidas GP 800 Against David Rudisha The field will also include Olympic bronze medalist Timothy Kitum, Robby Andrews and Erik Sowinski.
- David Rudisha And His Coach Brother Colm O'Connell Say He Is Still Motivated To Keep Winning After A Dream Season In 2012 Rudisha: "I have won all titles an athlete can ever wish and dream to become but I want to be motivated because they are those who have defended them several times."
- 59 Years Ago (
May 7May 6) Roger Bannister Ran The First Sub-4:00 Mile: The Guardian Pulls Their Original Report From The Archive
Diamond League Starts Friday *Start Lists/Streaming Info (12 Noon ET On Friday) *IAAF Fantasy League Returns
- 2013 Doha Diamond League Track And Field Meeting - Start Lists & Streaming Info The Mo Aman vs. David Rudisha rematch will be a big highlight. Mid-d and distance wise, Gabriele Anderson (w1,500) and Tyler Mulder (B 800) lead the US charge as there are no Americans in m3,000, w3,000sc or men's 1,500.
- HJ Brothers Mutaz And Muamer Barshim Will Compete Against Each OtherAt Doha DL Meet Mutaz won bronze in London last year.
Olympic Jav Champ Andreas Thorkildsen Sports Traditional Qatari Attire,
Rides Horse And Chucks Javelin To Promote Friday's DL Opener *Pics
- Other DL News: IAAF Fantasy League Returns Again For 2013 Diamond League Series
- After Disappointing Olympics Which Saw Him Burned Out And Injured, Asbel Kiprop Says He'll Limit The Amount Of Racing He Does In The DL This Year Last weekend he ran a 1:44.08 in Kenya to win his heat.
- Analysis Reveals That Renaud Lavillenie, Allyson Felix & Carmelita Jeter Are The Most Successful Athletes In History Of The Diamond League Series They have the greatest number of Diamond Race wins (13).
Two Interesting Reads From The UK
- Recommended Read #1 Dai Greene & Gold: Pain Of Finishing 4th In London Will Never Leave, But Brit Aims To Rule The World After Olympic Agony
- Good Read: Meet Jack Holden - The Oldest European Marathon Champ In History Holden, who was born in 1907, was a marathon star in his 40s.
And One From The US:
- RR#2: Connecticut Post's Series On Running High School Cross-Country For An Inner-City School By Tim Loh
Weekend Road Action In Africa
- New Road Race In Nigeria Offers $25,000 For 1st, $20,000 For 2nd And $10,000 For 3rd And Moses Masai Shows Up And Wins It In 29:39
- Kenya Kerich Marathon: Chaos Reigns Supreme As Some Kenyans Run 42km - Others 52km
- After Being Cleared Of Doping Offense, Ludwick Mamabolo Was Supposed To Get Comrades Trophy On Monday
Re:Run San Diego Was Sunday Morning
San Diego Tribune On Mary Cain's Great Run Nice read by Mark Zeigler. We wish people would stop comparing Cain to Mary Decker. Mary Decker has a drug offense on her record and is not someone to emulate.
Results: Duane Solomon Wins 800 In 1:46.54 Over Erik Sowinski And Lopez Lomong; Brenda Martinez (1:59.59) Wins Women's 800 As Mary Cain Runs 2:01.68 In 4th (updated with splits) In the mile races, Paul Robinson won in 4:04 after the field went out in 2:10, beating Jordan McNamara in 2nd (4:04.71); David Torrence was 6th (4:05.38). For the women, Susan Kuijken won in 4:27.13 over Brie Felnagle (4:28.90).
*OTB: Mary Cain 2:01.68!!! *Mary Cain-2:01.68 @ Re:Run *Re:RUN San Diego Results & Discussion
Sunday US Road/Conference Champs Results *Links To All NCAA Action
Non-Conference Results: Ethiopia's Belete Assefa (34:21) Wins Bloomsday 12k Over Kenya's Emmanual Bett (34:33) Brent Vaughn was the top American in 8th place (35:28) as Abdi Abdirahman was 10th (35:46) and Zach Hine 13th (36:09). For the women, Ethiopia's Buzunesh Deba dominated in 39:53 as Kellyn Johnson was the first American in 5th (40:42). *Top Results *MB Thread
*Kenyan James Kirwa Defends His Title To Win Pittsburgh Marathon In 2:13:37 As American Mary Akor Won The Women's Race In 2:37:35 Kenyans Julius Kogo and Risper Gesabwa took the 13.1 mile titles in 1:02:32 (CR) and 1:13:16 respectively.
*AP: Pittsburgh Marathon Run Amid Tightened Security
*Feisha Ayelle (47:02) and Askale Merachi (53:45) Win Broad Street Run 10 Miler In Philadephia (results)
*HS: Oregon Recruit MaryBeth Sant Runs High School Leading 11.38 To Win 100 At St. Vrain Invitational In CO She also ran 23.91 at the same meet.
Big 12: *Big 12 Full Results *Texas Men, Kansas Women Claim Big 12 Titles Both meets were close with Texas beating Oklahoma 146.5 points to 133 and Kansas winning with 158 over Texas with 145. Final day highlights included Oklahoma going 1-2 in the 1,500 as Patrick Casey set a Big 12 record of 3:40.04, beating out Riley Masters (3:41.22), OK State going 1-3 in the 5k led by Kirubel Erassa (13:53.53), who won over Girma Mecheso (13:54.62) and Tom Farrell (13:55.47), Betsy Saina winning the 5k by 33 seconds in 15:41, Natalja Piliusina winning her 3rd straight outdoor 800 title in 2:03.99 and Texas' Trevor Van Ackeren winning the steeple (8:49).
*Texas Article *Big 12 Meet Site
Heps: *Full Men's Results *Princeton Men Win 3rd Straight Heps Princeton was trailing Cornell, but put 3 in the top 5 of the 5K to pull ahead, led by Michael Franklin's win (who also won the 10k). Princeton's Peter Callahan won the 1,500 in 3:49.74.
*Full Women's Results *Cornell Women Defend Heps Title, Beating Columbia By 24 Points Abbey D'Agostino dominated the 1,500 in 4:11.94 and also won the 3k in 9:21.79. Cornell's Rachel Sorna won the steeplechase in 9:58.96. All-Americans Sorna and Katie Kellner had impressive distance triples, each winning their specialty event, to help the Big Red cause.
*Day 2 Highlight Video
Big East: *Men's Results *UConn Men Win Their Big East Crown In Close Battle With Notre Dame Notre Dame's Jeremy Rae won the 1,500 in 3:47.76.
*Women's Results *Notre Dame Women Dominate Big East Championships Villanova's Emily Lipari won the 1,500 in 4:24.25.
Patriot: Patriot League Report, Final Day: Bucknell Sweeps Men's And Women's Titles *Results
PAC-12: Oregon's Dakotah Keys Wins PAC-12 Decathlon Title; Arizona State's Keia Pinnick Won The Heptathlon Multi events are the week before the rest of the meet for the PAC-12. *Results
Saturday Conference/US Track News
Non-Conference Results: Lukas Verzbicas Runs 4:11 1,500 At Oxy Invite
*Video: Newly Minted Sub-4 Miler Michael Rutt Wins, Beating Robby Andrews For The Second Week In A Row Last week, it was the mile at Penn Relays. This time it was an 800 where Rutt ran 1:47.51 to Andrews' 1:48.35. *MB Thread
*Andres Arroyo Wins 3 Titles (1,600/800/3,200) At Florida State Meet In The Span Of 2 Hours 4:15, 1:54 and 9:30 in rainy conditions.
*OTB: Andres Arroyo wins 800, 1,600, 3,200 at states
*Rorey Fraser - new 4:03 Colorado soil record
*Past Dopers run well at Indy 500 Mini-Marathon
Big 12: *Live Results *Big 12 Championships Report, Day 2: Texas Men, Kansas Women In The Lead Oklahoma went 1-2 in the 10k with Kevin Schwab winning in 29:12.
*Iowa State Women Dominate Big 12 l0K As 5 Score And Meaghan Nelson Wins In 35:05 And this is without Betsy Saina.
*Big 12 Meet Site
*Erik Kynard Becomes First 3-Time Big 12 HJ Champ
A Bit Tired From Stanford, But Betsy Saina And Iowa State Are Ready For Big 12s
*MB: What happened in Big 12 10k? 3 dqs...
Heps: Men, Day 1: Princeton And Cornell Neck-And-Neck (Princeton Leads By 3 Points) Princeton was down going into the 10k, but put 4 in the top 5 to pull ahead. *Men's Results
*Women, Day 1: Cornell Leads Katie Kellner defended her 10k title as Cornell put 4 in the top 6. *Results
*Day 1 Video Recap
Big East: *Men's Results *Women's Results *Connecticut Men And Notre Dame Women Lead After Second Day Of Big East Champs Providence's Emily Sisson won the 10k in 33:02.
The Inspiration That Leads To A Champion Racewalker: SA/African Champ Lebogang Shange: "When I saw [race walking on TV] I thought it would be much easier than running, so I decided to become a race walker."
- One Of UK's Leading Distance Coaches Steve Benson Gets 16 Years In Jail After Being Found Guilty Of Sexual Assaults & Rapes On Teenage Athletes
- This Will Help Track Become More Popular (Not): Texas High School Relay Team DQed At State Meet Qualifier When The Anchor Celebrated By Pointing To The Sky In A Gesture Of Faith Officials said it violated a rule about "excessive celebration."
- Not Blisters! 4 Indiana HS Track Coaches Suspended For Forcing Their Athletes To Do "Bear Crawls" On The Track For Missing Practice Apparently some students got blisters on their hands from the drill in which people walk on their hands and feet.
- AK Polls Finally Get Going: Former Athletes Lose Out To Teachers In Athletics Kenya County Elections Athletes that lost include World 3,000m indoor and outdoor record holder Daniel Komen and Barcelona Olympic steeplechase champion Mathew Birir.
- Rio Olympic Stadium Facing More Problems As People Are Protesting To Have The Name Changed From Estadio Olimpico Joao Havelange Protesters want it changed because Joao Havelange, a former FIFA president, took bribes for World Cup contracts.
Just How Unhealthy Is America?
- Study Finds Only One Third Of Americans Meet Activity Recommendations Colorado and Utah were among the most active states while least active states included Oklahoma, Mississippi, Kentucky and Ohio.
- Study Says Americans Get 13% Of Calories From Added Sugar Most recent federal dietary guidelines recommended that solid fats and added sugar constitute no more than 5% to 15% of total calories.
US Pros In The News
- Tyson Gay Says His Best Years May Lie Ahead Of Him Talking about training he says he feels strong and, "I've slowed things down. I've slowed my pace down in training, so I can try to finish all the work rather than run one rep really hard and not complete the set."
- Good Gary Cohen Interview With Jason Hartmann, Who Talks About The 2012 & 2013 Boston Marathons As Well As His Full Pro, College And HS Career Good news is he isn't done as he talks about breaking his 2:11:06 PR and maybe running NYC.
- Erick Sowinski's High School Coach: "He was splitting under 48 in high school. Speed-wise, he's got the speed to run 1:42; the only thing that's been lacking is his aerobic and that's getting better all the time."
- Down The Back Stretch Interview With Jamie Cheever After Her Huge Steeple PR At Payton Jordan "This race has changed my goals. Before the race, making a Worlds team was a goal for another year, but I now think I should be focusing on getting to Moscow."
- Olympic And world TJ Champ Christian Taylor Says He's Stronger For Having Made The Move To The UK To Continue To Be Coached By Rana Reider He says that he thinks he's capable of breaking Jonathan Edwards' almost 18-year-old WR.
- Queen Harrison Named USATF Athlete Of The Week For Her Win Over All 3 US Olympians In Drake 100 Hurdles She won in a world-leading 12.71.
- Russia's European 800 Champion Yelena Arzhakova Gets A 2-Year Ban
*UK's Lynsey Sharp Promoted To European 800 Gold After Arzhakova's Ban Sharp: "It makes me sick that I was denied the opportunity to do a lap of honour and stand on the top of the podium with my national anthem playing."
- Russia's Olympic Discus Silver Medallist Darya Pishchalnikova Gets 10-Year Ban After Failing Drug Test For Second Time She was previously banned from July 2008 to April 2011 and then sample taken from May 2012 came back positive. So she was back for a year before being caught doping again. Why 10 years and not life?
- Austrian Distance Runner Susanne Pumper Gets 8-Year Ban For Second EPO Doping Offence And Will Be Stripped Of All Results Since 2008 Again, why no lifetime ban?
- WADA Officials Appealing Against Spanish Court's Ruling That Calls For All Evidence In Operacion Puerto Doping Scandal Case To Be Destroyed
2 Reviews & 1 Book Excerpt From John McDonnell: The Most Successful NCAA Coach In History
LRC Book Review By Former Hog Marlon Boykins: "Two Thumbs Up:"
book is full of insight into the hard-working, team-first ethos that
made us such a successful." We had two people review the book, including the 1:47 man Boykins, who was at Arkansas at the pinnacle of its heyday. "It was a self-contained UBER-COMPETITIVE atmosphere ... the sprinters, jumpers and distance guys all trying to show which group reigned supreme ..."
Book Excerpt The Legendary Story Of The 1989 Penn Relays DMR, Where 4 Kids From Arkansas, Texas And Missouri Beat 4 African Olympians And The Olympic 1,500m Champ The 1989 Mount St. Mary's Penn Relays DMR team featured 4 African Olympians, including 1988 Olympic 1,500m champ Peter Rono. John McDonnell's Arkansas squad featured 4 kids from Texas, Missouri and Arkansas. A legendary motivational speech by McDonnell and Joe Falcon on the anchor made for one of the great upsets in Penn Relays history. Read all about it in this excerpt from the new John McDonnell biography.
LRC Review #2 John McDonnell D2 Coach Torrey Olson We had Olson, who has an MFA in creative writing, give his take. "It's got a lot to offer anyone interested in an incredibly sustained passion for the both the sport and the profession."
Bolt Opened Up At 100m On Wed. *2013 Cayman International Invitational Full Results
- Shocker: LRC Usain Bolt Nearly Beaten - Opens 2013 Season With A Less Than Impressive 10.09 Bolt was way behind 85 meters into this race and only won in a photo after his training partner
seemingly slowed on purpose at the finish line.
*MB: Bolt 10.09 at Cayman Invitational
*Doc Pattton Tweets He Thinks Bolt Might Have Lost
*Ato Boldon Complains About The Camera Angle On The Replay
- Bolt Pre-Race On What He Was Expecting: "First race, 9.8 would be a very good start to the season ... I am feeling good."
Let The Regular Season Begin In Dream Fashion - IAAF Diamond League Begins Friday *Start Lists/Schedule/Streaming Info (12 Noon ET) *IAAF Fantasy League Returns
Says The Track Sars Avoid Each Other? 2013 DL Kicks Off In Style: Rudisha Vs. Aman, Kiprop Vs. Kiplagat, Aregawi Vs. Dibaba Plus Hagos Gebrhiwet
The 2013 Diamond League season will get under way on Friday with some truly incredible mid-d and distance action. The world's two best pre-Olympic male and female 1,500 runners will clash. David Rudisha will try to avenge his season-ending loss to Mo Aman and the great Hagos Gebrhiwet will open up outdoors in his last race as an 18-year-old. If he wins convincingly, Mo Farah's days on top may be numbered.
*Allyson Felix Will Try To Keep Her 10-Win Streak In Doha Going When She Faces 2011 World Champ Amantle Montsho & Olympic Silver Medalist Christine Ohuruogu In The 400
*Elites Felix, Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce, Brittney Reese and Christian Taylor Visit Olympics Past and Present Exhibition Before Meet
*IAAF President Lamine Diack Says He Isn't Worried About The Loss Of The Diamond League Sponsor And Says That The Series Will Continue To Thrive
Sprint News: Sally Person Is Healthy And Racing
- Sally Person Leads Aussie 4x100 To Easy Victory At Chonburi, Thailand Asian GP Series Meet They ran 44.06, just missing World Championships qualification standard by .06.
- Keep It Up Tyson, It's Working: Tyson Gay Feels Almost Like He's "Cheating Himself" Because He's Holding Back In Practice To Make Sure He Stays Healthy "I'm just trying to use the races for races and use practice for practice, instead of racing in practice."
*Jamaican Gleaner: "Behind the warm and respectful applause for Tyson Gay at last Saturday's Jamaica Invitational, there was tangible concern."
*MileSplit Video Interviews With Gay And Nickel Ashmeade After Their Season Opener In Jamaica
*Gay Named USATF Athlete Of The Week For His 9.86 World Lead
- Maurice Greene Takes A Shot At Current US Sprinters Saying They're Way Behind Jamaica Because They Don't Work Hard Enough Greene: "Especially in America, the athletes expect it to come a lot easier than it is, and that's wrong. They never see all the hard work that we put into it, they just saw us performing and people loving us and I think that's what's wrong with US sprinting today."
Cayman international Pre-Race News
- Bolt Speaks Highly Of Japanese Youth Yoshihide Kiryu
- Media Restrictions On Usain Bolt Revoked - Press Can Ask Him What They Want
- Bolt's Agent Ricky Simms Says That They Had Nothing To Do With The Proposed Media Restrictions Simms: "This is certainly not our policy. Usain is available to answer anything as usual."
*Previous: Cayman Invitational Tells Press, "Don't ask why Bolt pulled out of Jamaica Invitational and don't say words Yohan Blake."
- A Quick Healer After Missing Saturday's Jamaica Race, Bolt Is Healthy And Says He'll Race Wednesday In 100m At Cayman Invitational
More Sprint News:
- Japanese Jr. Sprinter Yoshihide Kiryu Says His Goal For The Season Is 9.96 He just needs to take .01 off his 10.01 to own the World Jr. record.
- Nine High School Athletes Ranked #1 In US Now Set For adidas Dream 100, Mile At adidas Grand Prix On May 25th
- 2013 Pre Classic To Feature Women's 100-Meter Re-Match The most stacked women's 100 in Hayward history will feature all of the medallists and 6 of 8 2012 finalists.
News At Home
- NCAA 10k Champ And Trials 2nd Placer Natosha Rogers Talks To RW About Why She Quit Running Back when the news broke there were conflicting reports, but she says she sustained a serious knee injury when she fell back in the fall and really hasn't recovered from it. She says, "I do believe I'll run again, but it'll be on my knee's terms when it's ready so I can give 100 percent."
- Race Video: Tokyo Steeplechase: Abel Mutai Wins, Cory Leslie 8:20 The fall at 7:20 is worth a watch.
- If It Gets More Track On TV Then Great: Sanya Richards-Ross Has Her Own TV Show "Glam And Gold," Which Is Coming Out In July
- Updated DI Rankings: Florida Men Still 1st While Kansas Women Take Over From Texas A&M
- Video: Watch Runners' View Of The Confusion Of Hearing The Explosions And Being Halted During The Boston Marathon
- Dad Runs Pittsburgh Marathon Blindfolded In Honor Of His Vision-Impaired Daughter He ran 3:48 and raised $25,000 for the Vision Research ROPARD Foundation.
- Inspirational Video Abut Guy Who Was Born With Cystic Fibrosis But Still Runs Marathons
- Oregon State Senator Says He'd Like To See A Co-Ed Relays At The Olympics
European 110H Champ Sergey Shubenkov Gets Surprise Visit From Former WR Holder Colin Jackson At His Trainign Base In Siberia, Russia Shubenkov: "This is mad. You are mad to have come all the way to Siberia just to see me!? This is unbelievable."
- Lopez Lomong To Deliver Commencement At University Of North Alabama On Saturday
- Q&A With Jenny Simpson "I'm not a coach. I don't want to be a coach. I made a change from one coach's system to another but I really just focus on what I'm being asked to do and don't try to break down their philosophical differences."
- Q&A With Former FSU Star Susan Kuijken Of Holland
Jamaican Invitational *Results *Meet Website
- Wow: Tyson Gay Blows Away The Field With A 9.86 Victory In His Season Opener; Nesta Carter 2nd (10.03), Doc Patton 3rd (10.07) In the women's 100m, Veronica Campbell-Brown won in 11.01sec as Allyson Felix was back in fifth (11.13).
*IAAF Recap: 5 World Leads, Including US's Ryan Whiting's 21.74m Throw In The SP Over Christian Cantwell (20.29m) Nickel Ashmeade won the 200 in 20.00 (WL) over bronze medalist Warren Weir and Wallace Spearmon, Luguelin Santos took the 400 in 45.15 1, US's Antwon Hicks upset bronze medalist Hansle Parchment in the 110H, Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce won the 200 in 22.38 as Stephanie McPherson (50.43) beat 2008 Olympic champ Christine Ohuruogu (50.58) in the 400 and Dawn Harper took revenge on Queen Harrison winning by .02 with a WLing 12.62.
*Full Results *MB: Tyson Gay opens with 9.86!
Other International Action *Full Seiko Golden Grand Prix Results
- David Rudisha Opens Season In Style - Lowers PR From 45.50 To 45.15
- Tokyo Seiko Golden Grand Prix: IAAF Recap: Japan's 10.01 Junior Yoshihide Kiryu "Breaks Japanese Hearts" Finishing 3rd As US's Mike Rodgers Wins Rodgers clocked 10.19 seconds into a 1.2 headwind as Bahamas' 2007 World Champs silver medallist Derrick Atkins was second (10.24) and Kiryu ran 10.40 for 3rd. In other events, Kenyan Anthony Chemut won the 800 in 1:46.51 over Robert Biwott (1:46.98) as US's Tyler Mulder
was 3rd (1:47.22), Bulgaria’s Ivet Lalova won the 100 (11.46), Russia's Anna Chicherova won the HJ (1.95m), US’s Olympic bronze medallist Janay DeLoach leapt 6.82m to win the LJ and former World 400 Hurdles champ Bershawn Jackson won in 49.11.
*100m Race Video *Canada's Fastest Man Justyn Warner Sings With Nike He has a 10.09 PR and is looking to become Canada's 3rd sub-10 man and opened here with a 5th place finish (10.50).
- Cory Leslie Runs 8:20.08 Steeplechase In Tokyo Leslie is having a great season as he crushed Leo Manzano and Nick Symmonds in the Kansas State mile a couple weeks ago. Here he was 4th as Jairus Birech won in a world-leading 8:15:26 over Olympic bronze medallist Abel Mutai (8:19.31).
- Lolo Wins: Race Video: Lolo Jones Wins Tokyo 100H In 12.92 Over Kellie Wells Wells was leading before she hit a hurdle midway through and finished 2nd (13.07).
*Neat Freaks Beware: Lolo Jones Shares Pictures Of Her Extremely Messy Hotel Room In Tokyo
- Full Results
- Big 25 Berlin: Richard Sigei And Lucy Kabuu Clock World-Leading Times In Warm Weather In Berlin's 25K Race Sigei won in 1:13:34 as Lucy Kabuu ran 1:21:37 to win the women's race.
*SA Olympic Marathoner Tanith Maxwell Finishes 6th At Big 25 Berlin
- TUI Marathon Hanover: SA's Lusapho April And Ukraine's Olena Burkovska Break TUI Marathon Hannover CRs Despite Warm Temperatures Both had comfortable victories, April running 2:08:32 while Burkovska finished in 2:27:07.
- Kericho 10k: World XC Champ Emily Chebet Wins Kericho 10k Road Race In Kenya In Close Battle With Pascalia Chepkorir And Emmy Chepkirui Josephat Bett won the men's 10k while 2006 World XC silver medalist Alice Chelang'at won the Kericho Marathon in 2:51:07. In the men's race, guides took the runners off course, so some ran 52k and others 42k and the winning
time was only 2:45:10.
- Other: Yuki Kawauchi Wins Half Marathons On Back-To-Back Days (Second One In 1:05:45) And Declines Prize For Winning "It wouldn't be right to accept prizes. I'm here for the people, and if that helps make the race more popular then I've accomplished my mission."
- AW Recap Second Day Of BUCS Track Championships *Day 1
- Former African XC Champ John Mwangangi Wins 10k In 28:28 At Final National Bank Of Kenya/Athletics Kenya Series Meet Peter Njoroge won the 5k in 13:35 as World Championships steepler Gladys Kemboi won the women's racec in 15:55. Lawrence Kemboi won the men's steeple in 8:33. Asbel Kiprop skipped the 800 final after racing the trails on Friday.
- Zimbabwean Rutendo Nyahora Wins Second Successive Race In Spar Women's Challenge 10km Series In SA (33:09)
- Trinidad And Tobago's Olympic Javelin Champ Keshorn Walcott Opens His Season With A 84.39m Throw (2nd Farthest Of His Career)
- IAAF Recap Asian Grand Prix Series Meeting In Bangkok: Kazakh TJer Roman Valiyev Highlights With A 17.10m Jump
- More Fast Japanese Youngsters: 2010 World Jr. 200m Champion Iizuka Runs World-Leading 20.21 For All-Time Japanese #3, 18-Year-Old Hashimoto 2nd In 20.35
More Interesting Sprint News: London Paralympic 200m Gold Medallist Richard Whitehead Training To Run 40 Marathons In 40 Days
Next Weekend's Action
- May 11 UAE Healthy Kidney 10K: WR Holder Leonard Komon Leads Deep Field Of Top Africans And Americans To Chase Big Money At UAE Healthy Kidney 10-K Meb Keflezighi is back in action leading the Americans Bobby Mack and Jon Grey. Top Africans include 2008 Olympic bronze winner Edwin Soi, former World XC silver and bronze medalist Moses Kipsorio and African Jr. 5k champ Abera Kuma,
as Former NCAA stars Stephen Sambu and Leonard Korir. Aussies Collis Birmingham, Ben St. Lawrence and Brett Robinson are also racing.
- Will Leer Vs. Recent US Road Mile Champ Garrett Heath Highlights The May 9th Medtronic TC 1 Mile Road Race In the women's field, defending champ Heather Kampf faces recent breakthrough steeplechaser Jamie Cheever.
In The Next Month
- May 19th Gifu Seiryu Half Marathon: WR Holder Zersenay Tadese Vs. 2007 World 10k Bronze Medalist Martin Mathathi As Well As Ryan Vail And Yuki Kawauchi The women's race is led by 2012 Amsterdam Marathon runner-up Eunice Kirwa Jepkirui, 2008 World XC silver medalist Mestawet Tufa and two-time Olympic marathon silver medalist Catherine Ndereba.
- May 26th: Slew OF British Olympians Set For UK's Bupa Westminster Mile Fields include Andy Baddeley, Ross Murray, Nick McCormick, Hannah England, Lisa Dobriskey and Steph Twell.
- May 26th: Haile Gebrselassie Will Try To Win His 6th Title At Bupa Great Manchester Run 10k As He Is Challenged By Wilson Kipsang UK's Chris Thompson is also in the field.
- June 1st: Olympic Champ Mariya Savinova Vs. Former Olympic Champ Pamela Jelimo At This Year's Pre Classic 800 Also in the field are Alysia Montano and Janeth Jepkosgei.
- June 1: Olympic Champ Robert Harting Leads Stacked Discus Competition At Prefontaine Classic As Reigning World Champion Mariya Abakamova Leads Javelin
Random But Interesting
- Kevin Spacey "Photobombs" Someone Mid-Run In Boston *Photo Here
- $$$: Usain Bolt Will Reportedly Earn $32,000/Second When He Races In The London Anniversary Games
- If You Haven't Seen This Before, It's Worth A Watch: Athlete At Chinese University Games Forgets To Hurdle During The 110H
- Another Study Saying Ice Baths Reduce Muscle Soreness Research suggests probably using it sparingly after especially hard or long workouts/races.
Dartmouth Alum Matt Miner Is "The Ivy League's Latest Gift" To The University Of Oregon The UO grad student was the only one to dip under 4 minutes (3:59.9) on Oregon's winning 4 x Mile team at Penn Relays.
Hakone Ekiden University Select Team Made Up Of Top Individual Runners From Schools That Fail To Qualify As A Team May Be Cut To Once In Five Years Yuki Kawauchi (who benefitted from the select team) has spoken out against this.
US Pro, Prep, NCAA News
- Interesting: Jason Hartmann Is The Coach Of High Schooler Elise Cranny, Who Ran The #3 All-Time Fastest Prep 1,500 At Payton Jordan (4:15.07) Hartmann sounds like a good coach (which makes sense since he coaches himself), as he said, "We have a plan. We want yearly development rather than going for the gusto for one year and you never hear from her again."
- RunnerSpace Interview With Yale Alum And Recent US 1 Mile Road Champion Kate Grace, Who's Having A Breakout Year Last weekend, Grace finished third in the Drake Relays 1,500m with a PR of 4:08.24.
- US's LJ World Champion Dwight Phillips Says He's Fully Recovered From The Car Accident That Ended His 2012 Season And At 100% He wants to be the the first American to win five World Championships in an individual event.
- Impressive: Blind Pole Vaulter Aria Ottmueller Qualifies For Arizona State Meet
- Daily Relay 5 Questions With Doc Patton, Who Talks About How The Third Leg Of The 4 X 100 At Penn Relays Was Coined "Patton's Corner"
- A Look Back At Jim Ryun's 3:51.1 WR Mile He Ran At Bakersfield College's Memorial Stadium In 1967 - A Record That Stood For 8 Years Ryun: "There are a handful of runs that define you, and that race was one that defined who I was."
- Updated Rankings: Florida Men And Texas A&M Women Stay On Top Of DI National Rankings
- Carrie Tollefson To Run First Marathon At Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon This Fall
- adidas Grand Prix Dream Mile/100 Announcing Invites
Stanford Was April 28 *Women's Results *Men's Results
LRC Men's Results And Flash Recap Ben True's big season continued
as he won the 5k, but the most improved American is Eric Jenkins, who came into the meet as a 14:04 guy but is now one of the 10 fastest collegians in history thanks to his 13:18! Chris
Solinsky's comeback to relevance took
a BIG step forward while Alan Webb's took somewhat of a hit.
*Ashton Eaton Was 3rd In PV With 16 Feet, 3/4 Inch As His Fiance Brianne Theisen Won The HJ With 5-11-1/2
*Brett Larner Looks At Japanese Weekend Results: Suguru Osako (27:38.31) And Yuki Sato (27:39.50) Go 2-3 And Come Up Just Short Of 27:35.09 NR At Payton Jordan Elsewhere at Oda Memorial Meet in Hiroshima, Kenya's Paul Tanui won the 5k in 13:16.57 as Martin Mathathi was 6th (13:41.80) and Yuki Kawauchi 18th (14:09.88).
LRC Women's Results And Flash Recap The good news is Jordan Hasay is now one of the 5 fastest collegians in history. The bad news is she missed the "A" and "B" standards. The breakthrough of the night came from Jamie Cheever, who went from 9:51 to 9:29 in the steeple.
*MileSplit Weekend HS Coverage: At Payton Jordan, Elise Cranny Finished 3rd, Running The 3rd Fastest All-Time HS 1,500 At 4:15.07 The time is only behind the 4:10.77 by Mary Cain at Drake and Jordan Hasay's 4:14.50.
Stanford On The Message Boards:
MB: Official Payton Jordan Updates Thread
MB: WEBB IS BACK, BABY, 13:37
MB: JORDAN HASAY: 32:06 UO/PAC 12 #1 ALL TIME, NO. 4 NCAA ALL TIME - WOW
MB: #3 AT HS 1500m-Elise Cranny at Payton Jordan
MB: Olympic Triathlon Champion Brownlee runs 28:32 for 10k at Stanford
MB: Alistair Brownlee running Stanford 10K
MB: Twin Robertsons
The Virgin London Marathon - The World's Most Competitive *Top Results LRC: Photo Gallery
Women's Race: LRC Priscah Jeptoo Finishes First In Women's London Marathon Marred By Wheelchair Collision Jeptoo was very
over the second half, but the race was marred by the fact that Olympic champ Tiki Gelana was wiped out from behind in a horrific collision with a wheelchair racer.
*Top Results LRC: Photo Gallery
More London: *Video Of Wheelchair Collision
Good News: Wheelchair Racers May Start Before Professional Women Next Year
*Josh Cassidy (Wheelchair Racer Who Hit Gelana): "One of these years a woman is going to have a leg broken, a career ruined."
*London Honors The Victims In Boston
*Some Are Selling Boston Memorabilia On EBay And Giving Proceeds To Charity
Recommended Read: Paula Radcliffe And Her Husband Reflect On Her 2:15:25 Marathon WR, Which She Ran At London 10 Years Ago
One We Missed From The Weekend: Lukas Verzbicas Ran A 14:53 5000 After 4:11 1500 At Occidental Meet We mentioned the 4:11 1,500, but according to the schedule the 5k was later that night about 6 hours later. The 5k is obviously a much better result, especially considering last month he only ran 15:22 at Carlsbad.
The Week That Was - Our Weekly Recap
LRC Mary Cain And Tyson Gay Are Fast, Pat Casey's Undefeated, Cory Leslie Gets The "A," David Rudisha Doesn't Run Very Much And Paula Radcliffe Leads The Anti-Doping Fight This week, we show you a breathtaking video of Mary Cain, annoint Pat Casey as the NCAA mile favorite, praise Paula Radcliffe for leading the anti-doping fight, talk about David Rudisha's mileage, praise Tyson Gay, unearth a 12-year-old video of Matt Tegenkamp dusting Dathan Ritzenhein and wonder why the Big 12 sucks so much at the 800.
UK Professor Talks About The Decline In Performance And Physical Fitness With Age And How It Can Be Mitigated With Continued Exercise "An active 50-year-old can have a similar aerobic capacity to a sedentary 30-year-old.”
Think The Sub-2-Hour Marathon Is On The Horizon? Think Again
LRC The Myth Of The Sub-2-Hour Marathon The mainstream media thinks it may be close but in reality most people reading this will be dead when it happens.
*Science of Sport's Ross Tucker agrees: Pacing, fatigue and the brain. Lessons from London.
*Jason Henderson Of Athletics Weekly Disagrees: Why the two-hour marathon is possible
*MB: Sub 2 Hour Marathon Discussion: My Thoughts and Yours
- Turkish Athletics Federation Suggests That Sprinter Nevin Yanıt's Positive Test Was The Result Of An Energy Drink His case in her defense: "It is not rational that a two-time European champion and an Olympic fifth should use a banned substance before an event that has no importance."
- After Being Cleared, Comrades Marathon Champ Ludwick Mambolo Calls For More "Education" For Athletes On Proper Post-Race Doping Procedures
Athletics South Africa Is In Trouble
- Athletics South Africa Is On The Brink Of Bankruptcy
- Recently Appointed ASA Administrator Zola Majavu Says They Have A Long Road Ahead "The picture with regards to finances is far from rosy."
"Mr Tyson Gay Is Back In Business"
US Track Friday: Oregon Twilight *Oregon Results *Oregon Twilight Photos *More Photos
Oregon Twilight: *Results
Recap: Rupp Switches From 800 To 3k & Defeats Ritz In 7:46, Centro Wins 800, And NAIA Star Hillary Holt Pulls Huge Upset In 1,500 Ken Goe of the Oregonian with recap of the meet, which saw Rupp switch events due to hamstring tightness. The big surprise was Hillary Holt lowering her PR by 7 seconds in the 1,500 and winning.
*University Of Portland Steeplechaser Jared Bassett Disappointed The Competitive Field Was Hurt By Withdraws He ran 8:57, winning by 13 seconds.
*Photos *More Oregon Twilight Photos
*On The Boards: Galen Rupp Moved To 3k Due To Hamstring Tightness, Wins In 7:46 With Ritz 2nd In 7:47
*MB: MB: Rupp running 3000 tonight at Oregon Twilight and not the 800
MB: Galen Rupp Has NO CHANCE Of Breaking 7:35
MB: HS Ben Saarel Runs 8:49 3,200 at 4,500 Feet of Altitude
- May 10: IAAF Q&A With Former 100m World Champ Kim Collins Ahead Of Doha DL
- May 18th: Asbel Kiprop And Silas Kiplagat Will Battle Over 1,500 At Shanghai DL Meet Carmelita Jeter will take on Olympic champ Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce in the 100 as HJer Jesse Williams faces 2012 Olympic bronze medallists Robbie Grabarz and Mutaz Barshim.
- Ken Goe Laments Elite Portland Track Classic Meet Being On The Same Weekend At NCAAs At Hayward Field
- Video/Interview With A 17-Year-Old Usain Bolt
- Better Late Than Never: Jamaica Releases Set Of Commemorative Postage Stamps To Honor Their Success As The 2008 Beijing Olympics
- Poll: Which Sport Do You Think The IOC Should Vote To Include On The Olympic Programme For 2020? Currently wrestling is winning with 55.2% of the vote.
- Leading Dutch Scientist Claims That The Paralympic Movement Is At A "Crossroads" With Technology Where Lack Of Research Could Hurt Credibility Of Disabled Sport
- IPC Athletics Chairman Says Oscar Pistorious Could Still Compete At This Summer's IPC World Championships In Lyon, France
It's Official: Olympic 1,500 Champ Asli Cakir Alptekin Charged With Doping Nevin Yanit, who was 5th in 100H final, also was charged.
- More Doping News: 240 Track Athletes From 52 Countries Are Currently Serving Doping Bans: India, Russia, Kenya, The US And UK Make Up the Top 5 (Big Gap In Numbers) UK news source The Independent reveals how little they know about US distance running as they refer to Dathan Ritzenhein as a "relatively unknown long-distance runner, and in a previous article confused him with Galen Rupp, saying Rupp ran a 2:07 marathon. Maybe they just don't know Ritz?
- Star Irish Hurdler Derval O'Rourke To Be Upgraded To European 100H Bronze After Turkey's Nevin Yanit Was Charged With Doping
- British Cycling Gold Medalist Calls For UK IOC Members To Vote Against Madrid's Bid To Host 2020 Olympics Because Of Operacion Puerto Court Scandal
- Now That He's Been Cleared Of Doping, Comrades Marathon Winner Ludwick Mamabolo Will Receive Trophy & Winners Check 11 Months Later
Next Weekend: Doha DL Meet Feature Series Of Top Duels: Asbel Kiprop Vs. Silas Kiplagat In 1,500m, David Rudisha Vs. Mohamed Aman In 800 Also Hagos Gebrhiwet vs. Thomas Longosiwa in the 3k, Allyson Felix vs. Amantle Montsho in the 400, Abeba Aregawi vs. Genzebe Dibaba in the 1,500 and Dawn Harper vs. Lolo Jones in the 100H.
What Americans Can Go To Worlds?
- LRC 2013 Moscow World Track And Field Championships - Men's American "A" And "B" Qualifiers
- LRC 2013 Moscow World Track And Field Championships - Women's American "A" And "B" Qualifiers
Blue Collar / Inspirational Runner Of The Week
LRC Meet Conner Paez: "Please don't cut off my leg. Please just don't amputate my leg. I can't lose my leg. I need to run." Two years ago, Conner Paez was on top of the world as a freshman at the University of Pennsylvania (8:16, 14:18). Then his life turned in a second as he was broadsided by a car while on his motor bike. The injuries were bad, very bad. He almost lost his leg, then some toes. Doctors told him he'd never compete again. What's he doing this weekend? Competing again.
Prince Harry And Richard Branson In London
Learn From The Pros
LRC Ten Training Tips From Bernard Lagat, Dathan Ritzenhein And Abdi Abdirahman The American men took center stage at the NYC Half on Thursday. You can watch video interviews with the top American men (Lagat here, Ritz here and Abdi here) and we will have more on their race preparations on Friday, but in the meantime we compiled ten training tips from Bernard, Dathan, and Abdi that you can use in your own training.