It's Official: Olympic 1,500 Champ Asli Cakir Alptekin Charged With Doping Nevin Yanit, who was 5th in 100H final, also was charged.
More Doping News: Now That He's Been Cleared Of Doping, Comrades Marathon Winner Ludwick Mamabolo Will Receive Trophy & Winners Check 11 Months Later
Lots Of Hot US Action This Weekend - Including Many College Conference Meets *Links To All NCAA Action *Oregon Results
MB: HS Ben Saarel Runs 8:49 3,200 at 4,500 Feet of Altitude
Oregon Twilight: *Results
*Galen Rupp Moved To 3k Due To Hamstring Tightness, Wins In 7:46 With Ritz 2nd In 7:47
*MB: Oregon Twilight live FREE Video Feed Link MB: Rupp running 3000 tonight at Oregon Twilight and not the 800
MB: Galen Rupp Has NO CHANCE Of Breaking 7:35
Big 12: Preview Of Big 12 Champs *Big 12 Meet Site/Results
A Bit Tired From Stanford, But Betsy Saina And Iowa State Are Ready For Big 12s
*Texas Tech Ready For Big 12s
1st Re-Run San Diego Is Sunday: $5,000 For 1st *Re-Run Website
*Toni Reavis Says Re-Run Meet Is 1st Pro Meet In San Diego In 25 Years
*With Alysia Montano Out, Who Will Win $5,000 In Women's 800?
Road Action: Allan Kiprono To Defend His Bloomsday 12k Title This Sunday Against Abdi Abdirahman And 2012 10k World Leader Emmanuel Bett (26:51) Past champions Simon Ndirangu and Gilbert Okari are also in the field as well as US's Brent Vaughn. For the women, 2011 champ Misiker Mekonnin will attempt to regain her crown while Alice Kimutai is the top seed with a 31:51 10k earlier this year.
Kevin Liao's Top 5 Rankings For All US Mid-D And Distance Events
Interesting Last Year's US Jr. Sensation In Javelin Is Taking Year Off From Competition, Going To Enroll In Marines And Wants To Be A Cop
Man To Run 48 Hours, Then Do Pittsburgh Marathon
The Inspiration That Leads To A Champion Racewalker: SA/African Champ Lebogang Shange: "When I saw [race walking on TV] I thought it would be much easier than running, so I decided to become a race walker."
- One Of UK's Leading Distance Coaches Steve Benson Gets 16 Years In Jail After Being Found Guilty Of Sexual Assaults & Rapes On Teenage Athletes
- This Will Help Track Become More Popular (Not): Texas High School Relay Team DQed At State Meet Qualifier When The Anchor Celebrated By Pointing To The Sky In A Gesture Of Faith Officials said it violated a rule about "excessive celebration."
- Not Blisters! 4 Indiana HS Track Coaches Suspended For Forcing Their Athletes To Do "Bear Crawls" On The Track For Missing Practice Apparently some students got blisters on their hands from the drill in which people walk on their hands and feet.
- AK Polls Finally Get Going: Former Athletes Lose Out To Teachers In Athletics Kenya County Elections Athletes that lost include World 3,000m indoor and outdoor record holder Daniel Komen and Barcelona Olympic steeplechase champion Mathew Birir.
- Rio Olympic Stadium Facing More Problems As People Are Protesting To Have The Name Changed From Estadio Olimpico Joao Havelange Protesters want it changed because Joao Havelange, a former FIFA president, took bribes for World Cup contracts.
Just How Unhealthy Is America?
- Study Finds Only One Third Of Americans Meet Activity Recommendations Colorado and Utah were among the most active states while least active states included Oklahoma, Mississippi, Kentucky and Ohio.
- Study Says Americans Get 13% Of Calories From Added Sugar Most recent federal dietary guidelines recommended that solid fats and added sugar constitute no more than 5% to 15% of total calories.
US Pros In The News
- Tyson Gay Says His Best Years May Lie Ahead Of Him Talking about training he says he feels strong and, "I've slowed things down. I've slowed my pace down in training, so I can try to finish all the work rather than run one rep really hard and not complete the set."
- Good Gary Cohen Interview With Jason Hartmann, Who Talks About The 2012 & 2013 Boston Marathons As Well As His Full Pro, College And HS Career Good news is he isn't done as he talks about breaking his 2:11:06 PR and maybe running NYC.
- Erick Sowinski's High School Coach: "He was splitting under 48 in high school. Speed-wise, he's got the speed to run 1:42; the only thing that's been lacking is his aerobic and that's getting better all the time."
- Down The Back Stretch Interview With Jamie Cheever After Her Huge Steeple PR At Payton Jordan "This race has changed my goals. Before the race, making a Worlds team was a goal for another year, but I now think I should be focusing on getting to Moscow."
- Olympic And world TJ Champ Christian Taylor Says He's Stronger For Having Made The Move To The UK To Continue To Be Coached By Rana Reider He says that he thinks he's capable of breaking Jonathan Edwards' almost 18-year-old WR.
- Queen Harrison Named USATF Athlete Of The Week For Her Win Over All 3 US Olympians In Drake 100 Hurdles She won in a world-leading 12.71.
- Russia's European 800 Champion Yelena Arzhakova Gets A 2-Year Ban
*UK's Lynsey Sharp Promoted To European 800 Gold After Arzhakova's Ban Sharp: "It makes me sick that I was denied the opportunity to do a lap of honour and stand on the top of the podium with my national anthem playing."
- Russia's Olympic Discus Silver Medallist Darya Pishchalnikova Gets 10-Year Ban After Failing Drug Test For Second Time She was previously banned from July 2008 to April 2011 and then sample taken from May 2012 came back positive. So she was back for a year before being caught doping again. Why 10 years and not life?
- Austrian Distance Runner Susanne Pumper Gets 8-Year Ban For Second EPO Doping Offence And Will Be Stripped Of All Results Since 2008 Again, why no lifetime ban?
- WADA Officials Appealing Against Spanish Court's Ruling That Calls For All Evidence In Operacion Puerto Doping Scandal Case To Be Destroyed
- Comrades Marathon Champion Ludwick Mamabolo Has Been Cleared Of Doping Charges 10 Months After Testing Positive For Methylhexaneamine
Asafa Powell Is Approaching His Season Much More Cautiously Now And Will Only Do 2 Races Before The Jamaican National Trials He talks about all the extra things he's added this year in an attempt to stay healthy.
Very Random News
- SA's Olympic Silver Medalist khotso Mokena Long Jumps Over Crocodiles Mokena: "This was something I've wanted to do for a very long time. It was about testing myself, my mental strength and overcoming the fear ... I think I'm half-man, half-croc."
- UK Olympic Discus Thrower Lawrence Okoye On Joining The 49ers: "I don't want to look back in 50 years time and say, 'I could have done that ... If I fail, I fail, but I won't look back with regrets."
- Greeks Stop Doha, Qatar From Covering Up Ancient Nude Statues In An Olympic Art Exhibit
- Japanese High School Head Coach Disciplined For Use of Corporal Punishment Retires "For Personal Reasons"
- Need A Job? The IAAF Seeking Senior Manager Of Education
More From Penn/Drake/Payton Jordan
- Payton Jordan: LRC: Women's Results/Analysis
LRC: Men's Results/Analysis
- IAAF Payton Jordan Race Recaps
- Diego Estrada And Betsy Saina Are USTFCCCA DI Athletes Of The Week For Their Payton Jordan Performances Estrada ran 13:15.33, which is the second fastest by a collegian outdoors, only behind Henry Rono's 13:08.4 from 1978. Saina ran 31:37.22, winning by 7 seconds with the No. 3 all-time collegiate mark.
- NAU Head Coach Eric Heins On Estrada's 13:15: "I think Diego took a big step forward tonight in establishing himself as a world-class runner."
- Emma Coburn On Just Holding Off Jamie Cheever: "In the steeple, if you are tired, you are tired. There isn't another gear you can change to with the barriers." Coburn won 9:28.26 to Cheever's 9:29.13.
- Britain's Olympic Triathlon Champion Alistair Brownlee Is Trying To Qualify For Selection To The UK Team For 2014 Commonwealth Games He ran 28:32.48, which puts him 22 seconds outside England Athletics' B qualifying standard.
- Good: Regina Jacobs's Stanford Frosh 800 Record Broken Amy Weissenbach won the 800 in 2:04.24 and also put herself #2 all-time at Stanford.
- Drake: AJ Acosta Still Sponsor-Less And Having A Rough Start To 2013 With A 4:11 (Kansas), 4:06 (Drake Road), And 4:05 (Drake Track) In His First Three Races He'll race again this weekend at the ReRun San Diego meet with a loaded mile field that includes David Torrence, Ryan Gregson, Donn Cabral, Cam Levins, Zane Robertson and
*MB: AJ Acosta Has 700 Miles On His Current Shoes Because No One Will Give Him Free New Ones
- Penn: Jamaica's Jevon Francis Named The Penn Relays HS Boy Athlete Of The Meet For Relay Events After He Anchored Calabar's 4 X 4 With A 44.9 To Win
2013 Drake Relays *Results *Friday's Complete Results *Saturday Drake Photos
Saturday: Queen Harrison Upsets Dawn Harper, Kellie Wells And Lolo To Take Home $25k, Nick Willis Wins Mile AP Zusana Hejnova won the 400m
hurdles with a world leader, Reese
had a world leader and Nick Willis won the mile by
over 3 seconds, plus Bjorn Otto won the stacked pole vault. *IAAF Recap
*Lolo Jones Says She's Ready For "Twitter Attacks" After Her 4th Place Finish At Drake "I can take away some positives, but I feel like people will automatically attack me and turn it into something negative."
*After Finishing 4th, Hometown Hero Lolo Jones May Skip Future Drake Relays For "Sanity's Sake"
*Father To Be (And 30-Year-Old) Nick Willis To Run Shanghai, Pre And NY But Not Run In Europe Before Worlds
*HS: Josh Evans Runs 4:10.86 1,600 For Iowa State Record
On The Boards: Nick Willis Dominates Drake: 3:55.7 Pumps Up Crowd!
Friday: LRC Wow: Jenny Simpson Impresses With Drake Relays Record And World Lead In 1,500 They say the sequel rarely lives up to the original. Well, that wasn't true Friday night in Des Moines as Jenny Simpson's first race since her reunion with Mark Wetmore was simply SENSATIONAL. Mary Cain was way back but got a new HS record.
*MB: Tim Hutchens (sic) on Jenny Simpson "The World Champion is Back."
*MB: THE WETMORE FACTOR
*MB: Morgan Uceny adidas 4:17.71
*MB: Official 2013 Drake 1500 Thread
LRC Rest Of Friday's Pro Action: A Stunner In The 110 Hurdles, Jenn Suhr Loses, Jeremy Wariner Loses, Brittney Reese Wins All 3 of the Olympic 110 hurdlers were running for $25,000. None of them won as Andrew Riley pulled a stunner. Brittney Reese was very clutch.
*Aries Merritt Partially Blames Drake Loss On Wind As He's "Really Thin" And The Headwind Hurts Him More Than A "Muscular Guy" Like Riley
*IAAF Recap: Simpson And Cuba's Yarisley Silva Shine
*Quotes From Friday's Stars Simpson was pumped as her grandpa was a Drake grad.
More: Des Moines Register Coverage:
*1,500: Iowa Native Simpson Sets Stadium Record
*Huge 110H Upset
*Recap Of Friday's Highlights
The NFL Gets A Discus Thrower
*UK Discus Record Holder And Olympian Lawrence Okoye Decides To Quit Track And Signs With The San Francisco 49ers As An Undrafted Free Agent He's never played football before, but did well in the Combine with 4.78 seconds in the 40 yards, 35 inches in the vertical jump and 125 inches in the broad jump.
*Okoye: "I realise it's going to be a ridiculously tough process. I will have to work even harder than everyone else, I have a lot to catch up on."
We Celebrate The 2013 Boston Marathon's Pro Race A Week After The Fact *Top 25 Results *Boston Photos *Boston Pre-Race Photos
Women's Race Recap & Analysis
LRC The Seven-Year Itch Is Met: Rita Jeptoo Closes Hard To Win Her Second Title Hometown favorite Shalane Flanagan closed hard but not fast enough to give the US its first win since 1985.
LRC Shalane Flanagan And Kara Goucher On The Beauty And Emotion Of The Boston Marathon Even before the bombings, emotions were running high for Goucher and Flanagan. We talk about their tears, the pro-American crowd and media, the incredile Joan Benoit Samuelson and even what Kara and Shalane do when there isn't time to go to the Porta Potty but a race you've trained a lifetime for is about to start.
David Rudisha Opens Season In Style - Lowers PR From 45.50 To 45.15
Japan IAAF Meet Is Sunday
Japanese 100m HS Sensation Yoshihide Kiryu To Face Sub-10 Performers Mike Rodgers, Mookie Salaam And Derrick Atkins Bershawn Jackson is going to be at the meet and pumped as well. "I'm looking forward to seeing him more than my own race."
*Classic: Japanese Sprinter Declines Media Requests - Parents Don't Want Him "Distracted" By His New-Found Fame
*Jamaican Columnist: Japanese Teen's Success Proves Stereotypes Are Wrong "To find out if blacks have an inbuilt, inherent advantage in sprinting over whites, what we should be doing is racing three-year-olds of all races, when they are largely 'untouched,' and less affected, by cultural and social differences. If all the black toddlers start beating all the white toddlers, the theory has merit."
More Fast Japanese Youngsters: 2010 World Jr. 200m Champion Iizuka Runs World-Leading 20.21 For All-Time Japanese #3, 18-Year-Old Hashimoto 2nd In 20.35
More Interesting Sprint News: London Paralympic 200m Gold Medallist Richard Whitehead Training To Run 40 Marathons In 40 Days
Big Meet In Jamaica - Jamaican International - Is Saturday *Meet Website
*Veronica Campbell-Brown Flies Into Jamaica And Says She's Ready For A Great 100 Metres Race Against American Rival Allyson Felix
*Tyson Gay Is There Tyson Gay Has Given Up Fast Food "I ate fast-food all the time. There are seven days in a week and I would eat at McDonald's three times a week, at least."
*Ivory Coast's Murielle Ahoure Is Pumped To Be In Jamaica After Making 100m And 200m Olympic Finals Last Year
*Lerone Clarke And 2008 Olympic Games 100m Silver Medallist Richard Thompson And 4 More Pull Out Of Jamaican Meet
*IAAF Meet Preview Men's 100m features Tyson Gay, Ryan Bailey, Darvis Patton, Nesta Carter and Kemar Bailey-Cole. Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce in the 200 vs. Bianca Knight, GB's Christine Ohuruogu in 400, Dawn Harper vs. Queen Harrison rematch in the 100H, bronze medallist Warren Weir, Wallace Spearmon and Nickel Ashmeade in the 200. Olympic silver winner Luguelin Santos in 400.
Road Action Sunday: Preview Of Sunday's BIG 25 Berlin 25k: 2011 World Marathon Silver Medalist Vincent Kipruto Leads Men's Field Over Jacob Kendagor (Recent 59:36 Half) & Ghirmay Ghebreslassie (60:09 Half) In the women's race, Lucy Kabuu (66:09 at RAK Half Marathon) will try to break Mary Keitany's 1:19:53 WR (5:08 pace) and will face 2011 Boston champ Caroline Kilel.
Next Weekend's Action
- May 11 UAE Healthy Kidney 10K: WR Holder Leonard Komon Leads Deep Field Of Top Africans And Americans To Chase Big Money At UAE Healthy Kidney 10-K Meb Keflezighi is back in action leading the Americans Bobby Mack and Jon Grey. Top Africans include 2008 Olympic bronze winner Edwin Soi, former World XC silver and bronze medalist Moses Kipsorio and African Jr. 5k champ Abera Kuma,
as Former NCAA stars Stephen Sambu and Leonard Korir. Aussies Collis Birmingham, Ben St. Lawrence and Brett Robinson are also racing.
- Will Leer Vs. Recent US Road Mile Champ Garrett Heath Highlights The May 9th Medtronic TC 1 Mile Road Race In the women's field, defending champ Heather Kampf faces recent breakthrough steeplechaser Jamie Cheever.
In The Next Month
- May 19th Gifu Seiryu Half Marathon: WR Holder Zersenay Tadese Vs. 2007 World 10k Bronze Medalist Martin Mathathi As Well As Ryan Vail And Yuki Kawauchi The women's race is led by 2012 Amsterdam Marathon runner-up Eunice Kirwa Jepkirui, 2008 World XC silver medalist Mestawet Tufa and two-time Olympic marathon silver medalist Catherine Ndereba.
- May 26th: Slew OF British Olympians Set For UK's Bupa Westminster Mile Fields include Andy Baddeley, Ross Murray, Nick McCormick, Hannah England, Lisa Dobriskey and Steph Twell.
- May 26th: Haile Gebrselassie Will Try To Win His 6th Title At Bupa Great Manchester Run 10k As He Is Challenged By Wilson Kipsang UK's Chris Thompson is also in the field.
- June 1st: Olympic Champ Mariya Savinova Vs. Former Olympic Champ Pamela Jelimo At This Year's Pre Classic 800 Also in the field are Alysia Montano and Janeth Jepkosgei.
- June 1: Olympic Champ Robert Harting Leads Stacked Discus Competition At Prefontaine Classic As Reigning World Champion Mariya Abakamova Leads Javelin
Random But Interesting
- Kevin Spacey "Photobombs" Someone Mid-Run In Boston *Photo Here
- $$$: Usain Bolt Will Reportedly Earn $32,000/Second When He Races In The London Anniversary Games
- If You Haven't Seen This Before, It's Worth A Watch: Athlete At Chinese University Games Forgets To Hurdle During The 110H
- Another Study Saying Ice Baths Reduce Muscle Soreness Research suggests probably using it sparingly after especially hard or long workouts/races.
Dartmouth Alum Matt Miner Is "The Ivy League's Latest Gift" To The University Of Oregon The UO grad student was the only one to dip under 4 minutes (3:59.9) on Oregon's winning 4 x Mile team at Penn Relays.
Hakone Ekiden University Select Team Made Up Of Top Individual Runners From Schools That Fail To Qualify As A Team May Be Cut To Once In Five Years Yuki Kawauchi (who benefitted from the select team) has spoken out against this.
Usain Bolt Injured, Rupp, Ritz, Centro At Oregon Twilight This Weekend
- Saturday: Usain Bolt Pulls Out Of This Weekend's Jamaican Invitational With A Slight Hamstring Strain He's hoping he might be good to go by next week's Cayman Invitational.
*MB: Down goes Bolt! Down goes Bolt!
- Tyson Gay Is A Last Minute Addition To Jamaica Invitational He'll face US's Ryan Bailey and Jamaican 4 x 100 gold medalists Nesta Carter and Kemar Bailey-Cole as well as 60m NR holder Lerone Clarke.
- IAAF Preview Of This Weekend's Multistars Trofeo Zerneri Acciai Meeting Which Marks The Start of The IAAF Combined Events Challenge Series
- May 10th: IAAF Look At The Deep Fields Set For May 10th Doha DL Meet David Rudisha vs. Mohamed Aman in the 800, World indoor champion Genzebe Dibaba vs. former compatriot (who is now representing Sweden) Abeba Aregawi in the 1,500, Hagos Gebrhiwet and Yenew Alamirew in the 3,000, World indoor bronze medallist Mekonnen Gebremedhin in the 1,500 and Olympic bronze medallist Sofia Assefa and World XC silver medallist Hiwot Ayalew in the women's steeplechase.
US Pro, Prep, NCAA News
- Interesting: Jason Hartmann Is The Coach Of High Schooler Elise Cranny, Who Ran The #3 All-Time Fastest Prep 1,500 At Payton Jordan (4:15.07) Hartmann sounds like a good coach (which makes sense since he coaches himself), as he said, "We have a plan. We want yearly development rather than going for the gusto for one year and you never hear from her again."
- RunnerSpace Interview With Yale Alum And Recent US 1 Mile Road Champion Kate Grace, Who's Having A Breakout Year Last weekend, Grace finished third in the Drake Relays 1,500m with a PR of 4:08.24.
- US's LJ World Champion Dwight Phillips Says He's Fully Recovered From The Car Accident That Ended His 2012 Season And At 100% He wants to be the the first American to win five World Championships in an individual event.
- Impressive: Blind Pole Vaulter Aria Ottmueller Qualifies For Arizona State Meet
- Daily Relay 5 Questions With Doc Patton, Who Talks About How The Third Leg Of The 4 X 100 At Penn Relays Was Coined "Patton's Corner"
- A Look Back At Jim Ryun's 3:51.1 WR Mile He Ran At Bakersfield College's Memorial Stadium In 1967 - A Record That Stood For 8 Years Ryun: "There are a handful of runs that define you, and that race was one that defined who I was."
- Updated Rankings: Florida Men And Texas A&M Women Stay On Top Of DI National Rankings
- Carrie Tollefson To Run First Marathon At Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon This Fall
- adidas Grand Prix Dream Mile/100 Announcing Invites
Stanford Was Last Sunday *Women's Results *Men's Results
LRC Men's Results And Flash Recap Ben True's big season continued
as he won the 5k, but the most improved American is Eric Jenkins, who came into the meet as a 14:04 guy but is now one of the 10 fastest collegians in history thanks to his 13:18! Chris
Solinsky's comeback to relevance took
a BIG step forward while Alan Webb's took somewhat of a hit.
*Ashton Eaton Was 3rd In PV With 16 Feet, 3/4 Inch As His Fiance Brianne Theisen Won The HJ With 5-11-1/2
*Brett Larner Looks At Japanese Weekend Results: Suguru Osako (27:38.31) And Yuki Sato (27:39.50) Go 2-3 And Come Up Just Short Of 27:35.09 NR At Payton Jordan Elsewhere at Oda Memorial Meet in Hiroshima, Kenya's Paul Tanui won the 5k in 13:16.57 as Martin Mathathi was 6th (13:41.80) and Yuki Kawauchi 18th (14:09.88).
LRC Women's Results And Flash Recap The good news is Jordan Hasay is now one of the 5 fastest collegians in history. The bad news is she missed the "A" and "B" standards. The breakthrough of the night came from Jamie Cheever, who went from 9:51 to 9:29 in the steeple.
*MileSplit Weekend HS Coverage: At Payton Jordan, Elise Cranny Finished 3rd, Running The 3rd Fastest All-Time HS 1,500 At 4:15.07 The time is only behind the 4:10.77 by Mary Cain at Drake and Jordan Hasay's 4:14.50.
Stanford On The Message Boards:
MB: Official Payton Jordan Updates Thread
MB: WEBB IS BACK, BABY, 13:37
MB: JORDAN HASAY: 32:06 UO/PAC 12 #1 ALL TIME, NO. 4 NCAA ALL TIME - WOW
MB: #3 AT HS 1500m-Elise Cranny at Payton Jordan
MB: Olympic Triathlon Champion Brownlee runs 28:32 for 10k at Stanford
MB: Alistair Brownlee running Stanford 10K
MB: Twin Robertsons
Penn Relays Ended Last Saturday
LRC Saturday American
Women's 4 X 800 Record, Robby Andrews Kicks Too Soon, Emily Lipari Impresses And More
It was a great final day at Penn. The American record got crushed in the 4 x 800, Big East XC champ Emily Lipari somehow won the 4 x 800 for Villanova, excitement in the USA vs. the World DMR, Oregon won the 4 x mile, Penn State the 4 x 800, and German Fernandez and Robby Andrews were in the mile that saw
3 4 US guys go sub-4 for the first time. In the USA vs. the World races, the US won everything but the DMR and women's 4 x 100. *IAAF Recap
Penn On The Boards:
- Penn Mile: Robby Andrews 3:57.82 for 4th at Penn, German Fernandez 4:03
- US Women's 4x800 AR
- (2:06.7 800m runner) Emily Lipari Just Split 2:02.3 to Get Collegiate Record in 4X800 for Nova
- DMR: Brit Throws a Tantrum After Falling Down, Ethiopia Wins
- Can someone explain the U. of Penn Track config to me?
Previous Penn News *Results/Info
- Penn: Day 2 LRC Men's DMR: Penn State & Robbie Creese Do It Again - Bayer 3:55
Some guys have "it" and Robbie Creese is
one. He isn't afraid to run in the front at Penn Relays and he blitzed the final 200 to give PSU its third COA title in two years in 9:24.
- LRC 4 x 1,500: Michigan's All-In Bet Is Rewarded The Wolverines, Ducks and Wildcats all ran three of the fastest 10 times in Penn Relays history but the amazing 5th year of Amanda Eccleston continued as Michigan got the win.
- Sean McGorty 4:04.47 We were impressed with McGorty's solo 8:46 last week and that carried over to Penn where he set a US HS leader.
- Sad - Ever Heard Of Drake Or Penn? Arkansas Looking To Improve Its 4 X 400 Times At Home This Weekend
- Day 1: LRC Villanova
Wins Record 11th DMR Title With Michigan a scratch, the Wildcats were the class of the field and ran like it as they defended their crown from last year. Plus we recap the HS girls distance action.
*Touching: Villanova Dedicates DMR Victory To Associate AD Who Died Suddenly At Age 25 On April 16th "A year ago, when we won Penn Relays, he handed us our wheel," Lipari said. "He's always been a huge supporter of Villanova track and field and the whole athletic community at Villanova so we wanted to support him the way he always supported us."
*Philly Inquirer: After Sting Of 2nd Place At NCAAs, 'Nova Wanted DMR Win Badly *AP Recap
*Penn Relays Steeplechase Photos
The Virgin London Marathon - The World's Most Competitive - Was Sunday *Top Results LRC: Photo Gallery
Women's Race: LRC Priscah Jeptoo Finishes First In Women's London Marathon Marred By Wheelchair Collision Jeptoo was very
over the second half, but the race was marred by the fact that Olympic champ Tiki Gelana was wiped out from behind in a horrific collision with a wheelchair racer.
*Top Results LRC: Photo Gallery
More London: *Video Of Wheelchair Collision
Good News: Wheelchair Racers May Start Before Professional Women Next Year
*Josh Cassidy (Wheelchair Racer Who Hit Gelana): "One of these years a woman is going to have a leg broken, a career ruined."
*London Honors The Victims In Boston
*Some Are Selling Boston Memorabilia On EBay And Giving Proceeds To Charity
Recommended Read: Paula Radcliffe And Her Husband Reflect On Her 2:15:25 Marathon WR, Which She Ran At London 10 Years Ago
Operacion Puerto/Comrades Marathon Doping News *Sign Petition To Not Have Evidence Destroyed
- Paula Radcliffe Speaks Out Against Spanish Court's Decision To Destroy Evidence Seized In Police Raids In Operacion Puerto Doping Scandal "It is very frustrating when globally the momentum is moving towards supporting anti-doping in a very positive direction with the actions of Usada and the recent clean-up in cycling ... The Spanish haven't used the opportunity they had to make sport a lot cleaner and to improve their reputation."
- British Tennis Star Andy Murray Calls Operacion Puerto "Biggest Cover Up In Sports History" On Twitter
- RRW: 2012 Comrades Winner Ludwick Mambolo Cleared Of Doping Charges Both Mamabolo's "A" and "B" samples showed the presence of the illegal drug, but according to his lawyer "there was a system failure in the Comrades doping process."
- Inquiry Committee Into Mamabolo Testing Process Says It Was Chaotic And Had Several Occasions Where His Samples Could Have Been Contaminated Things including involvement of under-qualified officials, mishandling of samples, and contradictions between documents signed by officials on race day and evidence that was given.
- Mamabolo: "I am delighted that I now have my good name and livelihood back."
Week That Was
LRC Jenny Simpson, Eric Jenkins, Diego Estrada, Mac Fleet, Chris Solinsky, The PSU Men And Villanova Women Impress, The Mystery That Is German Fernandez This week, we heap praise on Diego Estrada, Eric Jenkins, Mac Fleet, Chris Solinsky and the PSU men, but give the most to the Villanova women. Along the way, we slam the Arkansas men, talk about Jordan Hasay and the mystery that is German Fernandez and announce Lawrence Okoye, a future NFL star for the San Francisco 49ers. Plus a 17-year-old runs 10.01 – and he's from Japan.
Another One Bites The Dust: Coastal Carolina To Cut Men's Track & XC Programs
- Results From Drake Relays Road Races: Deep Prize Money Generated Some Competitive Fields Emmanuel Bett won the 10k in 28:23 over Kenneth Kipkemoi (28:29). Mark Kiptoo won the half marathon in 1:02:27 as the top 5 were all within 8 seconds of each other.
- Amazing: Despite Not Starting Walking Until The Age Of 13, Yelena Lashmanova Wins Coppa Città di Sesto San Giovanni 20k In Italy
- Results From Yesterday's 15K In Le Puy en Velay, France: Kennedy Kimutai (43:48) And Wagnesh Mekasha (50:22) Take Titles
More Post-Boston News
- Three More Arrested In Connection With Boston Bombing For Trying To Remove Evidence From Dzhokhar Tsarnaev's Dorm Room None of them are accused of any direct involvement in the bombings, but are being charged with conspiring to obstruct justice and making false statements to federal investigators.
- Knocked Down Boston Runner Bill Iffrig (From The Iconic Photo) Racing Again At Bloomsday Run 12k This Sunday
- Researchers Say The Day Of The Boston Bombings Was The "Saddest Day In Twitter History" It's interesting how they monitor the mood of each day by assigning more than 10,000 words a mood score between 1 and 9, most negative to most positive.
- EBay Monitoring Listings Of Boston Marathon Medals Being Auctioned Off Some are being sold with the proceeds going to charity.
- BAA Says They've Been Overwhelmed By Public Support After Bombings
IAAF Good Q&A With David Rudisha's Coach, Brother Colm O'Connell "I am certain he can still improve on the 1:40.91 he ran in London ... But, frankly, I don't think 1:40 or below is going to be possible soon. 1:40 cannot be broken in the next two or three years. It will take time: 1:40.9, 1:40.8, etc. The question is, will he last long enough?"
Which Americans Can Go To Worlds?
- LRC 2013 Moscow World Track And Field Championships - Men's American "A" And "B" Qualifiers
- LRC 2013 Moscow World Track And Field Championships - Women's American "A" And "B" Qualifiers
2 Reviews & 1 Book Excerpt From John McDonnell: The Most Successful NCAA Coach In History
LRC Book Review By Former Hog Marlon Boykins: "Two Thumbs Up:"
book is full of insight into the hard-working, team-first ethos that
made us such a successful." We had two people review the book, including the 1:47 man Boykins, who was at Arkansas at the pinnacle of its heyday. "It was a self-contained UBER-COMPETITIVE atmosphere ... the sprinters, jumpers and distance guys all trying to show which group reigned supreme ..."
Book Excerpt The Legendary Story Of The 1989 Penn Relays DMR, Where 4 Kids From Arkansas, Texas And Missouri Beat 4 African Olympians And The Olympic 1,500m Champ The 1989 Mount St. Mary's Penn Relays DMR team featured 4 African Olympians, including 1988 Olympic 1,500m champ Peter Rono. John McDonnell's Arkansas squad featured 4 kids from Texas, Missouri and Arkansas. A legendary motivational speech by McDonnell and Joe Falcon on the anchor made for one of the great upsets in Penn Relays history. Read all about it in this excerpt from the new John McDonnell biography.
LRC Review #2 John McDonnell D2 Coach Torrey Olson We had Olson, who has an MFA in creative writing, give his take. "It's got a lot to offer anyone interested in an incredibly sustained passion for the both the sport and the profession."
Blue Collar / Inspirational Runner Of The Week
LRC Meet Conner Paez: "Please don't cut off my leg. Please just don't amputate my leg. I can't lose my leg. I need to run." Two years ago, Conner Paez was on top of the world as a freshman at the University of Pennsylvania (8:16, 14:18). Then his life turned in a second as he was broadsided by a car while on his motor bike. The injuries were bad, very bad. He almost lost his leg, then some toes. Doctors told him he'd never compete again. What's he doing this weekend? Competing again.
Prince Harry And Richard Branson In London
Learn From The Pros
LRC Ten Training Tips From Bernard Lagat, Dathan Ritzenhein And Abdi Abdirahman The American men took center stage at the NYC Half on Thursday. You can watch video interviews with the top American men (Lagat here, Ritz here and Abdi here) and we will have more on their race preparations on Friday, but in the meantime we compiled ten training tips from Bernard, Dathan, and Abdi that you can use in your own training.