US Olympic News: First 2 Are Recommended Reads
- 'Uneasy Tension' For U.S. Women's Hurdle Squad There seems to be some resentment by Dawn Harper that despite being the Olympic champ, she's always overshadowed in the media by Lolo Jones.
- A Few Years Ago Ryan Bailey Was Living Out Of A Car With His Mom, Hanging Out With Gang Members, and Failing School ... Now He's An Olympian "I sit back and think, 'Wow, I could be like a couple of my friends — in jail or dead. I could be right there with them. But I'm not."
- London Games Will Only Be Shalane Flanagan's Third Marathon Flanagan: “I will go through a lot of pain to beat someone. If there’s pride and ego on the line, if I’m desperate, then I’m willing to go to a place where it hurts a lot more.”
- Monaco: After Being Barred From London DL, Nick Symmonds Will Be Hoping For A Fast Time In Monaco
*Andrew Wheating Pulls Out Of Monaco
- Stephanie Hightower Blogs On Olympic Trials In Eugene She's kidding herself when she said "these Olympic Trials were on par with any sport’s top tier event."
- Athletes Angry About USOC Strict Social Media And Apparel Rules At The Games Ryan Hall: “The rule I have the toughest time understanding is the blackout period. I understand the whole branding thing, but the fact that they control my image and even what I am allowed to tweet about seems overboard to me.”
*Video: CNN Talks To Ryan Hall About His "Faith Based Coaching"
- GalenRupp Gets Yelled At By Alberto Salazar For Playing Soccer With Mo Farah Before Workouts And By His Wife For Having Too Many (35) Air Jordans
- The American Distance Project Moves Forward After Successful Inaugural Year Established in Colorado by Renato Canova and Scott Simmons it includes Wendy Thomas, Alisha Williams and Joseph Chirlee.
- Video: Bruce Jenner And Bryan Clay Talk About Their Olympic Victories
- With Less Than 2 Weeks To Go, Many In The US Getting Nervous That They Still Don't Have Their Olympic Tickets New York Times
- RunBlogRun.com Q&A: Julie Culley Her first running memory is running 4 or 5 laps around her house to "train" for the middle school race the next day.
- Jenny Simpson Explains Her Move From The 1500 To The Steeple
Other US News
- For All Those Nuts Who Think Running Is Bad For You: 56-Year Old Jerry Cahill Was Told He Might Not See 18 When He Was Diagnosed With Cystic Fibrosis As A Child He credits running and pole vaulting with keeping his lungs clear of mucus and strengthening his chest cavity.
- The Oregonian: Vin Lannana's New Role At Oregon Still Up In The Air
- Mike Morton Wins Badwater Ultramarathon 70-year old Alan Webb finished 27th.
Scientist Who Has Studied 100,000 Runners Says Don't Listen To Quacks - Running Is Good For You "It's important to not rush to any conclusions that 10 to 20 miles a week is the optimal dose."
Lots Of Tuesday Action
Lucerne: Yohan Blake Is Pleased With His 9.85!! "Definitely I am on the right path for the Olympics. This is where I am supposed to be. I want to remain unbeaten." *Blake Race Video
*Veronica Campbell-Brown Loses 200 To US's ChaRonda Williams
*MB: US Olympian Kyle Alcorn Struggles In Steeple As The 7th Placer At Jamaican Trials, Jason Young Has The Biggest Surprise Of The Meet In The 200m - 19.86! *Results *IAAF
Lignano: MB: Gabrielle Anderson Gets The "A" Her 4:04.84 came a little later than she would have liked, but she now has it for next year. Emily Infeld & Sheila Reid miss at 4:07. Maggie Vessey (2:00.59), Anna Pierce (2:00.66).
*MB: Don Cabral runs 3:40 for 1500 Olympic tune up David Torrence & Will Leer ran 3:37 in the same race. Tyler Mulder 1:44.75, Michael Rutt 1:45.35, Elijah Greer 1:45.47. More: MB: Lignano 1500 and 800
Ireland: Ryan Gregson (3:57.98) 1st, Ciarán Ó Lionáird (3:58.84) 5th In Mile, US 5k Olympian Kim Conley Wins 3,000 In 9:01.74 Liam Boylan-Pett (3:58.38) was 2nd and Elliott Heath third (3:58.48), while Ó Lionáird was overtaken by Ireland's newest sub-four man, St Coca's Paul Robinson (3:58.70) before finishing fifth in 3:58.84.
*Ciarán Ó Lionáird Happy Afterwards
Italy: Oscar P Runs 46.56 In Italy But Says He'll Still PR (45.07) In London If he does PR, it shows he's got an unfair advantage as an able-bodied athlete wouldn't drop 1.5 seconds in 2 weeks.
- Understatement Of The Year: Colm O'Connell On Rudisha: "David is certainly one of the favourites in London." The article correctly mentions how Rudisha did lose to Aman last year. Rudisha on Aman: "Aman is a young boy, good, talented."
- Sally Pearson Sounds Unfazed After 100H Loss: "These girls only beat me while I was not at my best, but when I am on fire they can't come near me." Her coach also blamed her loss on a fall in wet conditions during her warmup.
- Kenyan 1,500 Ace Helen Obiri Says She's Going To London With One Goal - To Win A Medal In 1,500 But the press mis-represents her statement as saying she's confident shell win gold.
- Weird: Jr. Star Faith Chepngetich's Goal For The Olympics Is Top 4
- Kenyan Runners Win Battle With Athletics Kenya - They Can Leave For Olympics Whenever They Want
- Oscar P Can Run Any Leg On Relay
- Semenya: Gender Controversy Is Past Me
- World 100 Jr. Champ Adam Gemili Wants To Break 10 At Olympics
- Two-Person-Strong British Virgin Islands Team (100m Runners) Gets Special Welcome By Seb Coe As 1st Guests To Olympic Village
- Are Track & Field World Records Reaching Their Physical Limits? Scientists say yes.
- Ramadan Coming Right In Middle Of Olympics And Many Athletes, Including Steepler Mohamed-Khaled Belabbas, Say They'll Fast Athletes from the UAE have nothing to worry about, as there is a fatwah giving them an out.
- Kara Goucher Ranked As The 20th-Most Influential Person In Oregon Sports But we know the list isn't any accurate as Vin Lananna is only #23.
- Olympic Press Center to Be Turned Into Cloud Computing Centre After Olympics Letsrun refuses to deny rumors that it will be the home of letsrun.co.uk
- One Option For Olympic Stadium After Olympics - F1 Race Track?
- Kerron Clement's Bus To Olympic Village Gets Stranded - He Tweets - Help We Need to Pee "Um, so we've been lost on the road for 4hrs. Not a good first impression London. Athletes are sleepy, hungry and need to pee. Could we get to the Olympic Village please."
Press Tries To Create Impression Of Talented Kenya Team In Disarray
Reuters: Kenyan Team Needs "A Counsellor, Psychiatrist And Psychologist" To Resolve A Myriad Of Personal And Legal Issues Ezekiel Kemboi has been accused of stabbing a woman, while double world
champion Vivian Cheruiyot's fiancé Moses Kirui has been taken to court by his ex-wife, marathon runner Caroline Kwambai, over maintenance of their three children. Meanwhile, two Kenyans who aren't even on the Olympic team somehow showed up in Bristol to get ready and even the AK head was perplexed: "How did they end up in Bristol?"
*One Athlete's Response "In Kenya, nothing is straightforward." The 10,000 OT controversy, the men's marathon controversy, the Kemboi stabbing may seem like a lot but hey, this is Kenya.
*Prime Minister's Wife Wrote Letter Defending Ezekiel Kemboi Kemboi claims the woman was stabbed by her own accomplices who were trying to rob him.
400 Meters Controversies
Cuddihy's appeal against her deselection from Ireland's 4x400m relay team for the Olympics will be heard by the Olympic Council of Ireland Independent.ie She clearly isn't as good as the girl who wasn't initially selected. MB: Maybe it was her looks?
Australian 400 Guy Cites Racism - Threatens To Drop Out Off of 4 X 400 If He's Not Nominated For Indivudal Event John Steffensen did beat his 19-year-old competitor at the Trials but neither has the "A"' so we could easily see why they'd run a 19-year-old over him.
Bureaucratic News - Be Thankful Track Isn't Run As Badly As Soccer
FIFA Head Steph Blatter Knew Of Millions In Bribes To Son
In Law Blatter's defense: hey, technically it was legal.
At Least They Don't Just Lavishly Spend On Themselves: IAAF To Send 12 Kids To IAAF Gala In Spain *The IAAF Turns 100
US High School Record/Incredible World Jr. Results (More On Right Column)
LRC Mary Cain Smashes American High School 1,500m Record The 16-year-old sophomore ran 4:11.01 to smash Jordan Hasay's high school record by nearly 3 seconds to finish 6th at the World Junior Championships in Barcelona,
On The Boards: MARY CAIN 4:10
*Day 6: Conseslus Kipruto Runs 8:06 Steeple!!!! Faith Kipyegon Runs 4:04.96 1,500! Both times were meet records.
*Complete Day 6 Recap: Botswana's Nijel Amos Wins 800 By .77 Over Kenyan Olympian To Prove He's The Real Deal Olympic medal hopefuls, you'd better hope his "injured leg" is bad, as this guy is a medal threat in the Olympics if he shows up.
Half Of Competitors In Olympics And All Medallists Will Be Drug Tested At Olympics Let's hope they test 4th as well, as some medallists will get DQed.
*BALCO Scandal Head Victor Conte Says Anti-Doping System Is Flawed, High-Ranking Officials Have A Vested Interest In NOT Cleaning Up The Olympics
US Olympians In The News
5,639-Word NY Times Front Page Sports Article On The Faith-Coached Ryan Hall Sara Hall: "The Bible is not going to tell you how to be a good runner ... I don't think Ryan is looking at the Bible for a formula, necessarily. There are certain things that God highlights for him that he applies to his training."
- Chicago Tribune Piece On Evan Jager Jager on the US Trials steeple final: "I have never had so much fun running in my entire life."
- Australian Blogger Comes Out From Under His Rock And Discovers Lolo Jones
- Donn Cabral And His Mom Talk About His Start In Running And Rise To Elite Status
- LaShawn Merritt: "Six dollars cost me millions over a couple of years."
- US Shot Putter And TFAA President Adam Nelson Speaks Out On New Rule Forcing Athletes To Wear USOC Sponsored Footwear On Olympic Podium See LRC's piece on Nelson after he missed the US team here.
International Olympic Stuff: Vlasic Out, Kemboi Still In
- Apparently Ezekiel Kemboi Is Still On The Kenyan Olympic Team He has left the Kenya team's training camp in Nairobi for Bristol City so he will have a "quiet and calm environment to train" ... and won't stab anybody.
- Blanka Vlasic Won't Compete In London Due To Injury Issues "I'm not interested in jumping below my usual level."
- Caster Semenya Says She Wants The Gold And WR In London A lot of confidence from someone who hasn't ran faster than 1:59 this year. She says she was motivated By Nelson Mandela during her "dark days" after Berlin 2009.
- Japanese Paralympian Poses Nude To Pay For Prosthetics
- The Telegraph Takes A Look At What Goes On At The Athletes' Olympic Village
- Vivian Cheruiyot's Husband Sued For Not Paying Child Support To His Ex-Wife
- Aussie 400 Runner John Steffensen Claims He Was Not Selected For 400m Team Because Of Racism Was only selected for the 4 x 4.
- Yelena Isinbayeva Is Finding Joy In Competing Again, But Says She'll Retire After 2013 Worlds
- NY Times: Jeneba Tarmoh And Her Agent Still Unhappy About How Dead Heat Controversy Was Handled Tarmoh says she felt they "were puppets" and her agent complained that they had no chance to appeal initial decision since they didn't hear from USATF until later that night. We can confirm that since we were there.
- LRC Day-By-Day OT Coverage If you were living under a rock during the Trials, go here to catch up.
- Senator Furious That US Olympic Dress Uniforms Were Made In China And Says "They should ... put them in a big pile and burn them." Not to mention the competition uniforms have almost no white or blue.
- Joe Paterno's Name Taken Off Nike Facility
- Michael Phelps Responds To Teammate Calling Him Lazy *MB: Lazy Phelps called out by Clary
- What's Next For DyeStat? John Dye: "It's totally up in the air at this point. ... I hope that something does come through."
- Recommended Read: A Peek Inside At The Top Athletes Looking for an Edge and the Scientists Trying to Stop Them Great article. A little doping science, history, and inside stories all wrapped up into one.
- Do As I Say, Not As I Do: Dwain Chambers Warns Olympic Athletes Of Doping Dangers "World records can be done cleanly. I got worse on drugs. It did not help me in any capacity. It made me a very unsociable person and ruined my career and the image of the sport."
LRC 2012 Ethiopian Olympic Track & Field Team Named: Mr. Silver Sileshi Sihine Stays At Home - Tirunesh Dibaba Only "Reserve" In Women's 5,000
*Crazy: After Diamond League Win, Swedish Govt. Gives 1,500 Ace Abeba Aregawi Citizenship & Files Suit With IAAF Saying She Should Represent Them, Not Ethiopia, In Olympics The article, which is based off an Ethiopian report, says Aregawi's citizenship request had been going nowhere until her sudden fame and that she wants to represent Ethiopia. Given Ethiopia's press manipulation, this should be interesting to see how it develops.
*Update: Swedes Have Totally Different Story: Aregawi Really Wants To Compete For Sweden But Ethiopians Have Taken Her Cell Phone & Threatened Her (Translated form Swedish)
Amateur Hour II
Update: Nike Responds (Like We Thought They Would) "Gaining entry into the Nike box is an informal process and we plan to review our protocol for access for future events." *MB: Mark Block: Nike
LRC Why Was A Man In The Midst Of A 10-Year Doping Ban Enjoying The 2012 US Olympic Track & Field Trials From The Nike Sky Box? If you thought the days of looking the other way at doping were totally over, then you need to read this. Supposed former agent/coach Mark Block, who is in the midst of a 10-year doping ban, was seen by LetsRun.com njoying the Trials in the sky box of the #1 sponsor of both USATF and the Olympic Trials - Nike. All we can say is shameful. *MB: Discuss
2012 US Olympic Trials *Results *LRC Trials YouTube Channel *Photos: Day 1 (10ks), Day 2 (Eaton), Day 3 (100, 400), Day 4 (800), Day 7 (5,000s), Day 8 (W Steeple), Day 9 (200, 110H) *LRC Day-By-Day Coverage *Sunday Oregonian Photo Gallery
Three Best Punch Their Tickets To London As Leo Gets US Title #1 Leo Manzano, the man who had been top three every year since 2006, finally got the win he deserved but even he didn't expect. Manzano chased down Centro to get his first national title as Wheating pulled away from Robby Andrews to get third. *Men's
LRC World #1 Uceny, World Champ Simpson And Medallist Rowbury Get It Done The Big 3 came through as US #1 Morgan Uceny got her second straight US title with Rowbury 2nd and Simpson third. LetsRun.com recap hopefully coming later. *Women's Race Video
*After Winning The State XC Title As A Freshman, Morgan Uceny Quit Her Junior Year To Focus On Basketball That's what you do when you live in Indiana in a small town of 10,033 that has a high school basketball gym that seats 4,600
The US Olympic Trials *Results *TV Schedule *LRC Trials YouTube Channel *Photos: Day 1 (10ks), Day 2 (Eaton), Day 3 (100, 400), Day 4 *Check Prediction Contest Scores *LRC Day-By-Day Coverage
LRC The Women's 5,000 Final - The Olympic Trials At Its Absolute Best This race is what the Olympic Trials are all about. The race had the American record holder in the race, it had seven women with the "A" standard in it, and it had a bunch without the "A" who dreamed of the "A" and were wiling to do the work to try to get it. At the finish, there was a surprise winner in Julie Culley and American record holder Molly Huddle finished 2nd to make her first Olympic team. But for eternity, this race will be remembered for one thing - the most thrilling of victories and the most agonizing of defeats - and by victory and defeat we mean the victory of finishing third and defeat of finishing fourth.
LRC Ashton Eaton Sets WR & Mesmerizes On And Off The Track The former Oregon star
was sensational and got the world record after a big PR in
that sent the Hayward faithful into a frenzy. Afterwards, he sent the media into a frenzy with an amazing press conference.
LRC If You've Got 20 Minutes, Watch This Ashton Eaton Press Conference The world record holder is cerebral and fascinating.
Classy Move Of Year: Curtis Beach Lets Eaton Cross Line First As He Breaks WR - Eaton Wishes He "Could Be As Graceful" As Beach (link fixed) "I just thought it would be better for Ashton to win as he broke the world record."
*Eaton Uses Hayward Field Magic To Help Set World Record
*Ashton Eaton World Record Photo Essay
Olympic Champ Bryan Clay DQed In Hurdles *Clay, After Hurdles DQ: "It's The Worst Feeling Ever"
What About The Sport? LRC This Doesn't Have To Be The End For Bryan Clay; He Should Do A Decathlon Next Week
Friday At The Trials - Day 1
Rupp Puts On A Clinic As The Sub-13 Guys Punch Their Tickets To London Galen Rupp won and the three sub-13:00 guys made the team but this race held in a downpour was full of drama. Chris Derrick continued his fine 2012 in fourth. Recap, splits, results, and post-race interviews.
LRC Day 1 Photos Gallery
LRC Men's Post-Race 10,000m Reaction
Thursday Photo Gallery (Click Below. We Don't Have A Great Photo Of The Women's 5k Finish. For A Great Photo Of It, Click Here.)
Monaco DL Is Friday at 2 pm ET *Schedule & Results
LRC A Fan's Guide To Monaco: Steeple Madness, Symmonds & Montano Hope To Get 800 Wins, Evan Jager Goes For the AR? The last DL meet before
the Olympics should be a great meet, as a whole
lot of stars want to get in one last good effort before the Games. The meet features a world record attempt in the men's steeple and in our minds a US record attempt by Evan Jager as well, a great men's 1,500 with Kiprop, Chepseba, Centrowitz, Willis and others. In the 800, US champs Nick Symmonds and Alysia Montano are possible winners. As for the rest of the action, there is flat women's 3000 with three US Olympians, a great men's 400,
women's pole vault, men's high jump and a whole lot more, including the return of Jeneba Tarmoh. As good as it is, we say there is little chance it can equals last year's classic which featured a punch in the 1,500, a phantom punch by Solinsky, and a near WR in the steeple.
*Relive Monaco 2011
*IAAF Preview of 2012 6 Olympic/7 World champs to compete
*After Being Barred From London DL, Nick Symmonds Will Be Hoping For A Fast Time In Monaco
*Andrew Wheating Pulls Out Of Monaco
LRC Help Pick Ryan Hall's Shoes For the Olympics Asics made 3 pairs of specially designed shoes for Hall and he wants your input as to what he should wear.
International Olympic News
- Going for it? David Rudisha: "Maybe this Olympics will be the first, where somebody will break 800m world record without pacemakers.” He wants to break the WR in London.
- Athletics Illustrated Q&A With Emmanuel Mutai "In marathon there is no such thing as sacrifice. The strongest runner in the race will always win. This is not track where tactics play a bigger role."
- Christophe Lemaitre Will Probably Only Run The 200 (Not The 100) At The Olympics
- Olympic Marathon Champ Constantina Dita Wraps up Main Training In Colorado And Heads To London She runs for Boulder Wave which has had the past 3 consecutive Olympic gold medals in the marathon. Crazy.
- Olympic Cheerleaders: Evening Choosing An Olympic Cheerleading Squad Causes Controversy For Team GB There was an online vote, but the selector overruled it. *Tryout Videos
- Diego Estrada Says He Hopes To Be The "Ritzenhein" Of Mexican Distance Running
- Caster Semenya To Carry South African Flag During Opening Ceremonies
- Oscar P Shooting To Make The Semi-Final In London But he thinks 2016 will be his best Games. We'd normally say that's unrealistic since most sprinters peak in their mid 20's and he'll be almost 30, but then again, most sprinters can't simply replace their legs when they get older.
- World HJ Champ Anna Chicherova Blames Bad Weather For Her Defeat In London DL
- 5 Questions With Genevieve LaCaze She celebrated qualifying with an Aussie Olympic tattoo.
- London Opening Cermony Shortened By 30 Minutes Due To Transportation Fears
Oh Canada: After Being Denied A Spot On The Olympic Marathon Team Despite Having The "A" Standard, Lanni Marchant Trying To Prove Athletics Canada Wrong She ran 2:31:51, but didn't hit the stricter Canada standard of 2:29:55. So she wants to run that in the Toronto Waterfront Marathon to stick it to AC.
- CAS Gives 2-Year Bans To 6 Indian Female Athletes
- Tour Rider Frank Schleck Out After Testing Positive
- Haile Gebrselassie Will Be On The Roads Again For The Upa Great North Run Half Marthon In September
- World Junior PV Champ Angelica Bengtsson Says The Secret To Her Success Is Giving Up All Her Pre-Competition Superstitions
4 Recommended Reads
Possibly Even More Amazing Of A Story Than Lopez Lomong
RR #1: Once A Slave, Guor Marial, The 2005 HS Indoor Champ And Former Iowa State Star, Hoping To Run In Olympics For Newly-Formed South Sudan The IOC says he can't run for them as they don't have an Olympic delegation and asked him to run for Sudan, a country which killed off most of his family and put him into slavery. The article doesn't call him a former slave, but isn't that what forcibly working for a year with no pay is? He also is in the process of becoming a US citizen.
RR #2: The 4th Placer From 1976 Olympic Marathon, Don Kardong, Writes A Letter Full of Advice To The 6 US Olympic Marathoners For 2012 "Don't let anyone or anything discourage you from pursuing delusions of grandeur," said Kardong who said in 1976 that only two people believed he could medal - himself and his mom. Had it not been for a drug cheat, he'd have a bronze.
RR #3: A Very Tough Olympic Trials: Lea Wallace's Father Passed Away Somewhat Unexpectedly The Night Before Her Race, But She Decided To Run As He Was Her #1 Fan Oh yeah, and a week before the Trials, she lost one vision in an eye while doing pushups, passed out and had a seizure.
RR #4 Science Of Sport's Ross Tucker: Based On Power Outputs - Leading Riders At Tour de France Could Be Clean "So that's what we're all getting at when we say the Tour is getting slower. It is, and it's a good sign, because it brings everything back into the realm of expected physiology."
Ryan Hall Talks To LetsRun.com
LRC Ryan Hall Hoping To Have "Best Stuff Ever" At 2012 London Olympic Marathon On Friday, LetsRun.com spent over 30 minutes talking with Ryan Hall. An optimistic Hall talked about his training has turned around, his goal for London,
how he still thinks he's learning a ton, how he thinks his best marathon is ahead of him, and a whole lot more. We got Hall to give us the specifics of his training which has recently been changed to emphasize speed more often. Is he back at altitude? Hint: He gave the interview from the birthplace of LetsRun.com. How much mileage does he do? 20 x 1k? 10 miles of in and out 400s? *Discuss
Oscar P - Michael Johnson Spat
- Michael Johnson - Oscar P Is A Friend & Inspiration But He Shouldn't Run
- Science Of Sport Guys - Did You See This?
Oscar P: "I have a right to compete." Oscar's defense is almost disgraceful as he must know he's basically just not telling the truth: "Just because a guy's got a title of doctor or professor doesn't mean he has any knowledge in the field," and "you still get people who go for a certain angle because they want to keep it a controversial story."
More Olympic News
- Blake On Bolt: "Win, lose or draw we are friends."
- Dai Greene Hasn't Lost Faith In His Ability To Beat Javier Culson "Six weeks ago in Oslo I was one second behind Culson yet six weeks later I was only 0.06 down. I regard Javier as the best in the world through the first five hurdles and I believe I am the best hurdler in the world through the last five hurdles."
- So Much For Being A Gracious Guest
Liu Xiang Bolts London For Warmer Training Weather In Germany So much for hospitality?
- Cuba's Announces Its 47 Member Strong Olympic Track Team How many of them will defect?
- The Javelin Must Not Be That Hard: Javelin world champion Matthias de Zordo gets go ahead to train - says 3 weeks is all he needs to be ready for London Pole vault world champion Pawel Wojciechowski will try to prove his fitness this weekend.
- Kuwati's Suspension Is Lifted - 204 Federations Will Be at 2014 Olympics We say federations as there are only 196 countries in the world. Prior to this, individual competitors from Kuwait "could only participate under the Olympic flag with the title 'Independent Olympic Athlete."
- British Olympians Get Ipods With Pre-Recorded Cheering On Them
- Leap Of Faith Needed For Hooker's Pole Vault Defence
11 Interesting Reads To Entertain You On A Monday
Big Baltimore Sun Profile Of Matt Centrowitz: "1,500-meter hopeful Centrowitz grew up in the company of Olympians" *Discuss
Chris Derrick - A True Student Of The Sport - Gets Nice Press In Hometown Paper His HS coach says, "Chris never seems to lose focus." *Discuss
Learn About The Greatest Clutch/Heroic Olympic Story You've Never Heard Of - Olympics Retain Ability To Enthrall Imagine having to do a triple somersault dismount from 8 feet up on the gymnastic rings and land the dismount on a kneecap you know is broken. The result? A broken AND dislocated kneecap, torn ligaments in the leg, and a gold medal.
Learn About The Philosophy Of Dan Pfaff - One Of Two Coaches LetsRun.com's Wejo Has Ever Declared To Be A Genius "I believe that there is a way to do movement that's more correct than not, that's more efficient and lessens injuries. ... The way I see it, the further away you are from the model of excellence the more likely you are going to pay a price through inefficiency or chronic injury or inability to work as hard as your rival."
Nick Willis: John Walker's 3:49.08 National Record Is One Of 3 Goals I Have Left In Track & Field The others: 1. Olympic gold 2. Sub-3:30 1,500 "I've never won a race where I haven't been in the top four coming into the bell, so if I want to have a chance of winning London, I have to be in the top three or four with 400m to go."
Good Thing He's Not In The NBA: Dai Greene Won't Be Punished For Tweeting "gayest tweet of the day" To Martyn Rooney
Christian Taylor Doesn't Want Gold In TJ In Olympics - He Wants The World Record
Caster Semenya Also Wants The World Record At the Olympics "It's a very simple plan - to win my first Olympic final in a world record time,"says Semenya, who used to survive on £10 a week with her grandmother.
Newsweek Profiles Usain Bolt: "Have the years of fast living finally caught up with the speediest man alive? "
If Only John Chaplin In The US Was Held To Similar Standards
Great Column By Eamon Sweeney: There Should Be Resignations In 4 X 400 Mess-Up In Ireland In Ireland, a slower woman was picked for the 4 x 400 team until an appeal was filed and the initial decision was overturned. The columnist points out the "mistake" should never ever happened in the first place and people need to give explanations or be fired.
Fantastic New Documentary from Ireland - "It's Not The Taking Part" - Follows 8 People As They Attempt To Make The Olympics What if your best just isn't good enough?
Saudia Arabia Sends Women To Olympics
LRC Meet Sarah Attar - Saudi Arabia's First Female Track & Field Athlete The woman who will make history in traditional Islamic attire at the Olympics is a Pepperdine sophomore who runs in shorts during the collegiate season. She's never run an 800 in college, but that's
what she'll run in London.
*NY Times: Attar's Family Asked School Website To Take Down Photos Of Her Competing In Singlet And Shorts
*Philip Hersh Says Recent Gender News Isn't Quite As Good As It Seems Still needs to generate change at home.
LRC What Does The Paris 5,000 Mean For Galen Rupp's Medal Chances? Before Friday, only 10 men in history had broken 12:50 for 5,000. Now after on amazing race, 16 guys have done it. Surely this is the end of Galen Rupp's medal chances, right? Wrong. We argue that once one gets over the initial shock of the "6 Guys Under 12:50 In Paris" headline, then one realizes there were plenty of encouraging results in Paris for Rupp. *Discuss
Samsung DL Paris *Results *MB Discussion *LRC Winners Photo Gallery
LRC Paris Recap: A Sensational Men's 5,000, A Troubling Women's 1,500, And David Rudisha's 1:41 Highlight Fans of Galen Rupp, Bernard Lagat,
Kenenisa Bekele, Jenny Simpson
and Morgan Uceny probably had a hard time watching this meet as the results of the men's 5,000 and women's 1,500 were stunning to stay the least. Plus Tyson Gay vs. Justin Gatlin. Read all about it. *Discuss
*Results (video highlights for US visitiors in player on right)
*LRC Winners Photo Gallery
*Gaining Confidence After Paris Win, Tyson Gay Says Men's 100 "Is Open For The Games"
*Athletics Weekly Full Meet Recap Here *IAAF *Reuters
*World Champ Dai Greene PRs In Hurdles But Loses To Javier Culson
*Vanity Fair: David Rudisha: The Best Olympic Track Star You've Never Heard Of
*MB 12:46.81 *Bekele runs 12:55 on a bad day. What are Rupp and Farah thinking? *So what does the 5K results mean? No Gold for Rupp? *Galen Rupp Would Have Been 11th In Paris 5000m *Did that Paris 5k set any records for place? *Kenenisa Says He Is Not Defending His 5000m Title *Paris Meet All DOPED UP *W1500m A JOKE: 1 and 2 served doping bans *The Fastest 5000m In The Last 2 Years Will Be Run In Paris Friday
Down Goes Bolt #2: Blake 19.80 Over Bolt 19.83 Bolt had the lead in this one and ran horribly the last 100. Video here.
*Bolt: "It is not like I was blown away. I know what I need to do to get it right."
On The Boards: BOLT IS DONE!!!!
*Jamaica 200m Trials
*Blake wins again!
Three Distance Finals Take Place Thursday *Oregonian Day 7 Photos
M 5,000: LRC Lucky 13 - Galen Rupp Snaps Winless Streak In Style - 52.54 Last Lap Beats Bernard Lagat & Steve Prefontaine's Meet Record Galen Rupp entered
the Olympic Trials 0 for 12 against Bernard Lagat during his lifetime but he left 1 for 13 and boy was it impressive. Not only did he win, but Rupp let it came down to the last 400 and then outkicked the 2nd-fastest man ever at 1,500. His last 400 was faster than what won Mo Farah World Championships gold last year.
M Steeple: LRC Evan Jager Wins With Ease As Three First-Time Olympians Punch Their Tickets To London Jager, Cabral, Alcorn. And a very happy 4th placer - former 4:22 HSer Donald Cowart.
*LRC Steeplechase Interviews
*Oregonian Recap Of Jager's Tongue-Wagging, Fist-Pumping Win
More Olympic Trials Monday Distance
LRC Montano Hangs On, Gall Comes On, Schmidt Sneaks In, And Beckwith Has A 4-Year Wait Alysia Montano won as expected, but this one was close. 5 women were in contention for 3 Olympic spots and Molly Beckwith was the unlucky 4th place loser in a dramatic final 20 meters. *Race Video
800m Final Photos (Click Below For Gallery)
Eugene Saturday *LRC Trials YouTube Channel
LRC The Inside Story Of How Jeneba Tarmoh First Saw The 100m Finish Photo On The LetsRun.com Laptop Roughly 3 Hours After The Race
the 100m, but the story was the battle for the third spot between training partners Jeneba Tarmoh and Allyson Felix. At first,
Tarmoh was announced in third by .001 but then after
the stands had emptied, a dead
heat was announced. We thought we were the only ones not knowing what was going on, until next thing we knew Tarmoh was looking at the finish photo on Wejo's laptop (pic on right).
LRC An Exclusive Interview With The Man Responsible For Reading The Allyson Felix 100m Finish Picture LetsRun.com exclusively caught up Roger Jennings, the man whose job it is to determine who finished third and who got fourth, and the timing whiz explained how it was determined there was a dead heat. Plus we do a little bit of research and determine that even though USATF has said there is no protocol for breaking a tie, that the USATF rule book does in fact envision such a scenario and has a solution - an old-fashioned drawing of lots!!!
LRC Lolo Jones' Third Place Steals The Show In The Olympic Trials Hurdles Final Lolo turned around her season in 24 hours after a "reality meltdown" following round one. She said, "I woke up today and did not think I would make the team. I was fighting a constant head battle to get through this. I had my sports psychologist on speed dial 1, my pastor on speed dial 2, and my mom on speed dial 3 ..."
Day 2 Photo Gallery (Eaton World Record)
Day 1 Trials Photo Gallery
Still Wishing You Were Going to Watch the London Olympics? (Sponsored)
London Olympic Track Package Ludus tours was started by two former track and field stars and they've got accommodations very close to the track in London. The Olympics likely won't be in London during your lifetime again. Don't miss this opportunity. Other packages available. Mention letsrun and save $100.
Is Usain Bolt High Maintenance?
- Usain Bolt Orders Special Orthopedic Bed To Sleep In At His Training Base In Birmingham He's been having hamstring issues since the Jamaican Trials.
- Bolt Buys Olympic Starting Blocks To Practice Before London More than you ever wanted to know about the new different Omega starting blocks.
- Justin Bieber Raves About Bolt's Game on Australian Radio
- Pat's Star Rob Grinkowski Calls it 'Addicting'
Usain Bolt The Video Game Is Out
LRC Usain Bolt The Video Game For Iphone/Ipod - Q & A With Friend Of LRC Matt Taylor Bolt!, the Usain Bolt Iphone/Ipod free video game was released yesterday. We talk to LRC guest columnist Matt Taylor, who was instrumental in the game coming
*Can Usain Bolt Create an Olympic-Sized Brand?
*Puma Pinning Hopes on Usain Bolt
More Distance News:
Ciarán Ó Lionáird Returns Home Looking For Spark After Missing Lots Of Time With Achilles Injury - Will Race 14 Sub-4 Guys O Lionaird, who recently took time from his rehab to call LetsRun "gutter press," is racing for the 1st time since World Indoors.
The 12 Best Moments From The World Junior Champs Mary Cain and Ajee Wilson aren't on it.
London Diamond League Was Friday/Saturday *Day 2 Results *Day 1 Results *Event-By-Event Results
LRC Day 2: Nick Willis Goes For It, The American Mid-D Men Struggle & Molly Beckwith Pulls Upset On Day Full Of Upsets Day 2 was full of a lot
of upsets, particularly
on the women's side, as Carmelita Jeter, Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce, Sally Pearson, Janeth Jepskosgei, Amantle Montsho and others were upset. The highlight from a LetsRun.com standpoint was wacky men's mile, where Nick Willis had a 3.5-second lead at the bell. It wasn't a good day for Bernard Lagat, an awful day for Leo Manzano, and a day to be remembered for Molly Beckwith, who
suffered heartbreak at the US Trials. But the American who had the best day may have been Nick Symmonds - and he didn't even run.
LRC Day 1: Mo Farah, Vivian Cheruiyot Win With Ease As Maryam Jamal Shocks Women's 1,500 Field Mo Farah beat a week field that included training partner Dathan Ritzenhein, the American 1,500m women did not impress, Vivian Cheruiyot kept it going, and Aries Merritt stepped up again, as Tyson Gay came from behind to win.
More: Track & Field Athletes' Association Statement On Nick Symmonds & Lolo Jones Being Barred From Meet *MB Thread
World Junior Champs (See Saturday's Homepage For Days 1-4) *Schedule/Results *Nice On-Site Coverage By NSSF *Live Video Stream *Meet Central With Interviews, Photos, Event-By-Event Recaps
- Day 6: Conseslus Kipruto Runs 8:06 Steeple!!!! Faith Kipyegon Runs 4:04.96 1,500! Both Are Meet Records
- Complete Day 6 Recap: Botswana's Nijel Amos Wins 800 By .77 Over Kenyan Olympian To Prove He's The Real Deal Olympic medal hopefuls, you'd better hope his "injured leg" is bad, as this guy is a medal threat in the Olympics if he shows up.
- US Junior Team Won 20 Medals - 9 Gold
- Day 5: IAAF Recap: US Men And Women 4 X 1 Relays Take WJC Gold
- Run-Off: US Women's 4 X 4 Will Be In A Run-Off Today To Try To Make The Final They won the semifinals, but were DQed for a exchange zone violation. An appeal ruled official's error; now they have to re-run the race to post a legal qualifying time to make the final.
- RRW Distance Recap: Muktar Edris Takes 5,000 In 13:38
- IAAF Investigates Nigeria-Spain Visa Denial Dispute
- Jamaica's Janieve Russell Wins 400H
- Ashraf Amgad Elseify Wins Hammer With Junior WR
- IAAF Profile Turks And Caicos Islands' WJ 200 Champ Delano Williams, Who Will Probably Compete For The UK In The Future
- GB's Katarina Johnson-Thompson's Had A Major Upset In The LJ When She Won After Coming In Ranked Only 10th
- 100/200 Champ Will Be Running In The NCAA Next Year
- Michael Johnson Thinks False Start Rule Is Bad For The Sport Because We Could Get A Repeat Of Daegu At The Olympics
- Jamaican Analysis Of Olympic 200: Will Allyson Felix Finally Get Gold Or Her Third Straight Silver?
- Carl Lewis Thinks Justin Gatlin Could Beat Bolt And Win The Olympics
- No Kidding: Michael Phelps And Usain Bolt Won't Be As Dominant In London As They Were In Beijing This article talks about how people have caught up to Bolt, but that isn't true at all. He's just slowed down.
6 Guys Break 12:50
Paris DL Photo Gallery (Click Here Or Below)
Blake Beats Bolt X 2 In 200
Emma Coburn Gets Emotional With Teammate Shalaya Kipp After Making Olympics
The Race Of The Trials: Julia Lucas' Agony Of Defeat (Race Video Here, More 5k W Interviews Here, Men 5k Here, Men Steeple Here)
Alan Webb's 2012 Olympic Dream Is Over (More On This Here (Link Fixed)). More Trials Videos Here
Tyler Mulder Showing The Emotion Of The Trials
BAA 10k 2012 BAA 10k Results
Geoffrey Mutai Runs 27:29 In Boston, Kim Smith Wins
We think Sam Chelanga still has a good chance to win $100,000 despite being crushed by nearly a minute.
Kenyan Trials *Mid-D/Distance Results
- King David Rudisha Runs 1:42.12 Altitude WR To Put Kenyan Crowd Into A Frenzy King David wasn't the only one to excite the crowd as even bigger cheers went
to Ezekiel Kemboi, who set the crowd afire when he pulled up to eventual steeple winner Brimin Kipruto and seemingly motioned to let him win with 50m to go before re-enacting his famous "Daegu jig" at the finish. Asbel Kiprop barely qualified (3rd) as Olympic champ Nancy Lagat, Linet Masai
and Paul Kipsiele Koech fell by the wayside.
*Kemboi's Dance Gets More Cheers Than Rudisha's Win
*MB: Rudisha's 1:42.12 NEW ALTITUDE WR!!! Brimin Kipruto 8:11 steeplechase and Isaiah Koech 13:09 as well, if this isn't a troll.
*MB: Kiprop 3rd: "It's a good thing that I did not win the Trials since the pressure that comes with it is too much."
- AP Recap: Rudisha, Jelimo And Cheruiyot Win
LRC Exclusive: Timer Explains The Allyson Felix Tie
Matt Taylor Speaks #2
LRC Redefine Running: Who's In Charge Of "The Sport" (link fixed) Last week Matt Taylor, the guy behind ChasingTradition, ChasingKimbia, ChasingGlory, and an upcoming Usain Bolt video game, told you running was dying. This week he tells you it's thriving. He explains the inconsistency. While the activity of running is thriving, the sport is dead with the mainstream sports fan. In the internet era, diehards get their fix, while Joe Sports-Fan has no idea who Matt Centrowitz is. How do we fix this?