Usain Bolt Making News By Not Running
The World Panics As Bolt Flies To Germany To Get Treatment From Controversial Doc - His Management Team Promises He'll Run
Column: Bolt Should Be Worried - Worried About "The Beast" Yohan Blake
Michael Johnson: "With complete overhaul of his technique," Usain Bolt Can Run 9.4 Kind of ironic that a guy who had his own unorthodox style thinks Bolt should change his.
The 100m World Record Turns 100 Years Old
News From The UK/Ireland
UK 800 Runner Gareth Warburton Wins Appeal & Is Named To Olympic Team UK Athletics admitted
they consulted an independent legal team.
The Precursor To The Olympics: The 126th Wenlock Olympian Games Start Sunday They are designed to "promote the moral, physical and intellectual improvement of the inhabitants of the town and neighbourhood of Wenlock, and especially of the working classes, by the encouragement of outdoor recreation".
140th Irish Championships Set To Begin In Dublin
US Female Olympians In The News
- Julie Culley's Mom & Dad Say Her Trials Win Was The Greatest Moment Of Their Lives
- A Brief Chat With US 800 Olympian Geena Gall
Mid-Week Action - Thursday's Liege Meet *Results
IAAF Recap 19 or 25 Year Old Kenyan, Who Was 4th at Kenyan Trials, Runs 1:43.62
MB: World Champ Ibrahim Jeilan Drops Out Of 10,000 - Won't Go To Olympics The winning time of the 3rd Ethiopian 10k Trials was 27:17, meaning that while Jeilan is out - Kenenisa Bekele is in.
*MB: Pamela Jelimo Runs 4th-Fastest 600 Ever - 1:23.32
*MB: Abraham Rotich: 19-Year-Old Runs 1:43.62, Won't Be In London
*Wait A Minute ... The IAAF Recap Says Rotich Is 25, Not 19
*2012 Moncton Hub City Classic (Canada) Results
Bell Sprint Curve - Michael Johnson Presents Controversial UK Race/Speed Documentary *Video Trailer
- Michael Johnson Presents Documentary In The UK That Explores "... why descendants of slaves will take the medals in the London 2012 sprint finals." Johnson: "... it's impossible to think that being descended from slaves hasn't left an imprint through the generations."
- Documentary Website: "Survival Of The Fastest"
- Another MJ Article
- MB: Michael Johnson says that slave descendants have "athletic genes"
Amateur Hour II
Update: Nike Responds (Like We Thought They Would) "Gaining entry into the Nike box is an informal process and we plan to review our protocol for access for future events." *MB: Mark Block: Nike
LRC Why Was A Man In The Midst Of A 10-Year Doping Ban Enjoying The 2012 US Olympic Track & Field Trials From The Nike Sky Box? If you thought the days of looking the other way at doping were totally over, then you need to read this. Supposed former agent/coach Mark Block, who is in the midst of a 10-year doping ban, was seen by LetsRun.com enjoying the Trials in the sky box of the #1 sponsor of both USATF and the Olympic Trials - Nike. All we can say is shameful. *MB: Discuss
UK News: Paula May Be In Trouble
- Paula Radcliffe Visiting "Healing Hans" To Try And Get Over Foot Injury Before London She says she can still run on it, but is "in agony" afterwards.
- Roger Bannister Talks About How He Would Have Quit Running And Never Broken 4 Minutes If He Had Won Gold In 1952 Games
Ezekiel Kemboi May Still Face Charges For Alleged Stabbing
- Ezekiel Kemboi Not Out Of The Woods Yet As New Investigation Is Being Launched Kenyan Olympic Committee is still giving him their support to stay on the team.
*Recent Stabbing Charges Have Marred The Image Of Ezekiel Kemboi With his post-race dances and bold statements, under normal circumstances, Kemboi could be considered the Usain Bolt of the steeplechase.
- Two Members From Kenya's Daegu World 4 X 4 Team Kicked Off Due To Poor Form Ahead Of The London Games
More Drug News
- CyclingNews.com Evaluates Lance Armstrong's Legal Arguments Against USADA The hearing is set for November.
- Three Russians, Including Two European Gold Medallists, Get Banned For Doping Thanks To Biological Passport System
- Flotrack's Ryan Fenton Skeptical About Other Russians As Well
Canada Names Its Olympic Team Cam Levins is only in the 5,000.
- 200m Olympic Gold Medalist Donald Quarrie Says Jamaican Athletes Need To Pursue Events Outside The Sprints "Not everyone can get a lane in that 100m ... and there is room in the 400m; there is room in the 800m and in the 1,500m." In another quote, he implied that the current culture is too lazy to do distance training.
- Jamaican Cartoon Making Fun Of Bolt's Losses To Blake
Kenyan/African News Of Note
- Kenya Wants To Have 5 Field Event Atheltes In Next Year's World Championships
- Olympic Steeplechase Champ Ezekiel Kemboi To Race At London Olympic Despire Assault (Stabbing) Charge He was arrested on charges of stabbing a woman last week.
- Kenyan Distance Runners 1,500 And Up To Stay In Kenya To Train For Olympics, 800m And Down (Rudisha And Jelimo) Have Left To Train In UK Good decision.
- A New Star? Burundi Teenager Francine Niyonsaba Wins African 800m In 1:59.11 Over Eunice Sum In Only The Third Major Race Of Her Life
Post-Olympic Trials Distance (US And Canada) News
- Rec. Read: The Real Story Of Matthew Centrowitz's Gutsy Bid For The Olympics Oregonian Centro had surgery on his knee April 10th and didn't do speedwork until May.
- Andy Bayer Will Not Turn Pro, Will Stay At Indiana
- After Winning The State XC Title As A Freshman, Morgan Uceny Quit Her Junior Year To Focus On Basketball
- Jenny Simpson Overcomes Box To Make Olympic Team
- CNN Compares Rupp To Pre
- Canada: After Winning Canadian Champs, Nate Brannen Ready For Olympics #2 Brannen says he almost did not sleep at all in the 48 hours up to his Olympic semifinal in 2008. He also says he's got 4 good years left in his body.
- Sheila Reid Left Off Canadian Olympic Team
2012 US Olympic Trials *Results *LRC Trials YouTube Channel *Photos: Day 1 (10ks), Day 2 (Eaton), Day 3 (100, 400), Day 4 (800), Day 7 (5,000s), Day 8 (W Steeple), Day 9 (200, 110H) *LRC Day-By-Day Coverage *Sunday Oregonian Photo Gallery
Three Best Punch Their Tickets To London As Leo Gets US Title #1 Leo Manzano, the man who had been top three every year since 2006, finally got the win he deserved but even he didn't expect. Manzano chased down Centro to get his first national title as Wheating pulled away from Robby Andrews to get third. *Men's
LRC World #1 Uceny, World Champ Simpson And Medallist Rowbury Get It Done The Big 3 came through as US #1 Morgan Uceny got her second straight US title with Rowbury 2nd and Simpson third. LetsRun.com recap hopefully coming later. *Women's Race Video
*After Winning The State XC Title As A Freshman, Morgan Uceny Quit Her Junior Year To Focus On Basketball That's what you do when you live in Indiana in a small town of 10,033 that has a high school basketball gym that seats 4,600.
*Oregonian Recap Of Men's 1,500m Where Leo Wins And 2 Former Ducks Make Team
RRW: Manzano And Uceny Win Trials 1,500 Crowns
*Good Read: USATF's Handling Of The Felix-Tarmoh Match Race Undercuts A Good Meet The Eugene Register-Guard also criticized USATF for its bumbling on the runoff (insisting that the team would be selected last week by Sunday).
(Non-distance Trials Sunday coverage in the middle column)
- On The Boards: LEO!!
- UCENY, ROWBURY, SIMPSON. WHY DID THEY BOTHER WITH 3 ROUNDS
- Will Any of the M1500 Top 3 Make It to the OG Final??
- Robbie Andrews has got to be in Shock right now...
- Should Sanya Richards-Ross be DQ? She was all over the line in the 200?
- 20/20 Hindsight Anna Pierce Should Have Stayed With The Steeple
- Angelo Taylor- America's hardest working and toughest runner
Top International News
Europeans: Renaud Lavillenie Of France Vaults 5.97 At Europeans
*Borlee Brothers Lead Belgium To European 4 X 400 Gold
*Jo Pavey Gets Silver At Europeans In 10k
*Britain Drops Baton In 4 X 100 At Europeans
*Carl Myerscough Finds Meet At Last Second To Qualify For Shot Put At London Olympics
African Champs: Gladys Cherono Wins 10k To Complete 10k/5k Double At African Champs
Previous International News
Down Goes The Champ: Yohan Blake 9.75 Over Usain Bolt 9.86 At Jamaican Champs, Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce Runs 10.70 This makes both Blake and Fraser-Pryce the fourth-fastest of all time. FloJo, Jones, and Jeter are the only ones faster than Fraser-Pryce.
Thread: Usain Bolt Crushed By Yohan Blake - 9.75 to 9.86
Oscar P's Olympic 400m Dream Is Likely Over: Pistorius Runs 45.52 For African Silver, But Not Good Enough To Qualify For Olympics
African Champs: Montsho 49.54 African Gold, Algeria's Taoufik Makhloufi 1:43.88
Lananna Expected To Leave As Oregon Coach Curtis Anderson reports Lananna will stay at Oregon in an administrative role, so we guess that means the Stanford AD job is out.
*US Spokesman Greg Walker Says Lananna Not Stepping Down We'll take Curtis Anderson's word that Vin is out.
On The Boards: Binder Tweets Weir and Lannana are out at Oregon
Friday Photo Gallery (Click Here)
The US Olympic Trials *Results *TV Schedule *LRC Trials YouTube Channel *Photos: Day 1 (10ks), Day 2 (Eaton), Day 3 (100, 400), Day 4 *Check Prediction Contest Scores *LRC Day-By-Day Coverage
LRC The Women's 5,000 Final - The Olympic Trials At Its Absolute Best This race is what the Olympic Trials are all about. The race had the American record holder in the race, it had seven women with the "A" standard in it, and it had a bunch without the "A" who dreamed of the "A" and were wiling to do the work to try to get it. At the finish, there was a surprise winner in Julie Culley and American record holder Molly Huddle finished 2nd to make her first Olympic team. But for eternity, this race will be remembered for one thing - the most thrilling of victories and the most agonizing of defeats - and by victory and defeat we mean the victory of finishing third and defeat of finishing fourth.
- More Trials: AP Recap Of Thursday
- Race Of Her Life Puts Kim Conley On The Olympic Team
- Talk About Pressure: Lance Brooks Qualifies For Olympics With "A" Qualifier On Final Throw
- Alberto To Rupp: "If you put yourself with him, you’re going to get a surge from the crowd and an adrenaline rush that you’ve never gotten before." Oregonian
- Tianna Madison Leads 200m Round 1 At Trials
- Wheating Has Another Chance For Stardom ... And Not Just In Videos Sports Illustrated
- Track Town Is Nike Town
Thursday Photo Gallery (Click Below. We Don't Have A Great Photo Of The Women's 5k Finish. For A Great Photo Of It, Click Here.)
Ezekiel Kemboi Arrested In Stabbing Charge The Olympic steeplechase champion has been arrested for allegedly stabbing a woman who denied his sexual advances. He denies the charge and says he
tried to take the woman home and attackers tried to rob him. Picture of Kemboi at court (to left) and here.
*More From The BBC
*Raw Video Of Kemboi At Court / Woman Speaking In Bed
LRC Justin Gatlin Did Not PR, And Other Drug-Related News Justin Gatlin is back, running a 9.80 PR after 4 years away, with a new coach. What sort of fantasy world is the media living in?
*San Diego Tribune: Doping pasts haunt Olympic track trials
LRC Bryan Clay - Don't Let A Pointless USATF Rule Keep You From London Another poorly thought-out USATF rule is possibly keeping Bryan Clay from London. He should follow Genevieve LaCaze's lead and hit the standard and we guarantee the USOC sends him to London.
LRC 1,500 Starts Thursday:
What Big Names Go Home? A Waste Of Time The 1,500s should be epic, as in both the men's and women's races one very famous person is bound to go home empty-handed. One of the following men will go home: Matt Centrowitz, Leo Manzano,
Andrew Wheating or Robby Andrews. One of the following women will go home: Morgan Uceny, Jenny Simpson,
Shannon Rowbury or Anna Pierce.
Did You Make The Olympic Team? We've Got A Prize For You - 3 Hours Of Paperwork To Fill Out The article reveals that Ashton Eaton can get a single room in the village if he wants it - everyone else is double occupancy.
- If You Read One Thing On The Site Today, This is It:
SI's Tim Layden Gives A Behind-The-Scenes Account Of The 100m Controversy Excellent in-depth explanation by Tim Layden, with photos, video, and even some props to LetsRun.com. Roger Jennings: "If I hadn't protested myself, I'm not sure anyone else would have."
Canadian Marathoners Lanni Marchant & Krista DuChene Are Denied Entry Into Olympics Despite Having "A" Standard They didn't meet the stricter Athletics Canada standard.
*MB: Canadians: What is up with your crazy Olympic qualifying process?
Olympic Trials Monday
Hayward, Nick Symmonds,
Makes It 5 In A Row, KD Goes To London And So Does Duane Solomon Nick Symmonds ran faster than any American ever at Hayward field (1:43.92) to get the dominant win, veteran rival Khadevis Robinson "KD" made his second team, and the Johnny Gray-coached Duane Solomon came up huge with a PR and "A" standard to book his ticket to london. Recap and analysis. *Race
*Nick Symmonds, KD, And Duane Solomon Get Olympic Spots
*USA Today Article On Symmonds And Webb
*Unsponsored Mark Wieczorek PRs And Places Seventh In 800
*Great Pre-Race Article: KD is running with purpose
More Trials: Reuters Recap Of Monday At The Olympic Trials
*Latest Sunday Photo
Gallery (Men's 100, Women's/Men's 400m, LJ, More)
Justin Gatlin Wins The 100, Tyson Gay Makes The Team, Jeremy Wariner Goes Home, And Gunshot Victim Bryshon Nellum Makes The Team Nellum is a great story, as he was shot in both legs and has been coming back from that. He did not even make the NCAA final but made the London team. Interview with him here.
- Men's 400m: Recommended Read Jeremy Wariner's Latest Defeat A Blow To Olympic Career Wariner walked through the interview area without stopping (video here) and that starts the author's article.
- Men's 100m: Justin Gatlin Wins The 100, Tyson Gay And Oregon Native Ryan Bailey Make The Team
- Women's 400m: Sanya Richards-Ross Runs 49.28 To Set Hayward Field Record In 400
- Shot Put: Reese Hoffa Wins Shot To Make His Third Olympic Team
- Discus: High Schooler Shelbi Vaughan Finishes 4th
- Long Jump: UT Football Player Marquise Goodwin Wins Long Jump
- Pole Vault: 32-Year-Old Former Oregon Duck Becky Holliday Finished 2nd To Make Team Behind Jenn Suhr
*Allison Stokke NO HEIGHT At 2012 US Olympic Trials Women's Pole Vault
LRC Ashton Eaton Sets WR & Mesmerizes On And Off The Track The former Oregon star
was sensational and got the world record after a big PR in
that sent the Hayward faithful into a frenzy. Afterwards, he sent the media into a frenzy with an amazing press conference.
LRC If You've Got 20 Minutes, Watch This Ashton Eaton Press Conference The world record holder is cerebral and fascinating.
Classy Move Of Year: Curtis Beach Lets Eaton Cross Line First As He Breaks WR - Eaton Wishes He "Could Be As Graceful" As Beach (link fixed) "I just thought it would be better for Ashton to win as he broke the world record."
*Eaton Uses Hayward Field Magic To Help Set World Record
*Ashton Eaton World Record Photo Essay
Olympic Champ Bryan Clay DQed In Hurdles *Clay, After Hurdles DQ: "It's The Worst Feeling Ever"
What About The Sport? LRC This Doesn't Have To Be The End For Bryan Clay; He Should Do A Decathlon Next Week
Friday At The Trials - Day 1
Rupp Puts On A Clinic As The Sub-13 Guys Punch Their Tickets To London Galen Rupp won and the three sub-13:00 guys made the team but this race held in a downpour was full of drama. Chris Derrick continued his fine 2012 in fourth. Recap, splits, results, and post-race interviews.
LRC Day 1 Photos Gallery
LRC Men's Post-Race 10,000m Reaction
Day 1 Trials Photo Gallery
Samsung DL Paris *Results *MB Discussion
LRC Paris Recap: A Sensational Men's 5,000, A Troubling Women's 1,500, And David Rudisha's 1:41 Highlight Fans of Galen Rupp, Bernard Lagat,
Kenenisa Bekele, Jenny Simpson
and Morgan Uceny probably had a hard time watching this meet as the results of the men's 5,000 and women's 1,500 were stunning to stay the least. Plus Tyson Gay vs. Justin Gatlin. Read all about it. *Discuss
*Results (video highlights for US visitiors in player on right)
*Athletics Weekly Full Meet Recap Here *IAAF *Reuters
*World Champ Dai Greene PRs In Hurdles But Loses To Javier Culson
*Vanity Fair: David Rudisha: The Best Olympic Track Star You've Never Heard Of
*MB 12:46.81 *Bekele runs 12:55 on a bad day. What are Rupp and Farah thinking? *So what does the 5K results mean? No Gold for Rupp? *Galen Rupp Would Have Been 11th In Paris 5000m *Did that Paris 5k set any records for place? *Kenenisa Says He Is Not Defending His 5000m Title *Paris Meet All DOPED UP *W1500m A JOKE: 1 and 2 served doping bans *The Fastest 5000m In The Last 2 Years Will Be Run In Paris Friday
Random But Somewhat Interesting
- Summary Of 10 Noakes' 448 Page Book On Dehydration - Drink To Thirst Apparently, your performance doesn't suffer after a 2% hydration loss, as Haile Gebrselassie lost close to 10% of his body weight during his WR.
- Iowa Man Runs Around Lake Michigan In 40 Days & Raises $32,000 He ran 26 miles every day. Crazy.
- Sally Kipyego Gets Some Press In Kenya On Vivian Cheruyiot: "I think Vivian is a great athlete and I would like to keep it at just that."
- NZ Paper: Does Oscar P Have An Unfair Advantage? Our answer: Clearly yes, but he's still an inspiration.
- Olympic Marathoner Fujiwara Leaves For Altitude Training In Switzerland
- Day 4 Russian Recap: 3 Women Break 4:00
- South African Decathlete Willem Coertzen Named To Olympic Team Somehow SA in its brilliance had left the "A" qualifier off of their provisional team.
British Olympic Selection Controversy
- On Day She's Elevated To European Champion (Thanks To A Doping Positive), Jenny Meadows Is Left Off British Olympic Team The 2009 WC bronze winner at 800, Meadows, is a class act as she won't appeal the decision to put the up and comer Lynsey Sharp, who has only the "B" standard on the team. Five "A"s will be left at home.
- Three With A - Marilyn Okoro, Emma Jackson And Jemma Simpson - All Appeal We agree that GBR's best chance of making the final is to put three people out there instead of 1. Three x .10 is greater than 1 at .20.
- Ian Stewart Defends UK Athleitcs 800 Selection
- Athletics Weekly On Sharp Selection (Also Includes List Of British Olympic Track Team)
- Van Commenee Has No Idea If Phillips Idowu Is Recoverd From Pre Classic Injury, As They Don't Speak
- The French Are Leaving Home A Big Name As Well
- France's Olympic 1,500 metres bronze medallist Mehdi Baala is out with foot injury
- Irish Can Tweet: Sonia O'Sullivan Won't Ban Irish Athletes From Tweeting But She Will Talk To Them About It She seems most concerned with them getting abused by followers if they do poorly.
Doping News From Cycling
- Dutch Newspaper: Levi Leipheimer, George Hincapie, David Zabriskie, Christian Vande Velde And Jonathan Vaughters All Implicate Lance
- Lance Fires Back - This Is An Unfair Vendetta Against Me And "Selective" Prosecution You bet it is. In organized crime, people go after the boss, not the underlings."
- USADA Head: Intimdation Of Witnesses Will Not Be Tolerated
- MB: Armstrong is about to be screwed
- Doping Report - Cyclers Cheat The Most, Badminton Players The Least 3.7% of all cycling tests result in a positive. Wow.
Hopefully In Unrelated News - The Russian Champs Have Been Going On *Full Results
- Day 4 Russian Recap: 3 Women Break 4:00
- IAAF Recap Of Day 3 49.16 was the biggie.
- RussianChamps - World Champs Marya Savinova (1:57.42 800) &Yulia Zaripova (9:09.99) Show Up & Impress Even Though They Didn't Need To All Daegu WChamps were automatically on the Olympic team but these two Russian ladies showed up and kicked butt anyway.
- Sanya Richards-Ross, You'd Better Be Ready: Russian Women Run 49.16 And 49.28 In 400 At Russian Champs 4th place was 50.00. Antonina Krivoshapka had run 49.29 back in 2009 before she won WC bronze (she was 5th last year).
- Russia's LJer Sergey Morgunov Will Go To WJrs As Jr. World Record Holder & 2012 World Leader At 8.61m The meet is July 5-10. *World Junior Facts & Figures
Usain Bolt Is Out (Temporarily)
LRC After Two Losses At Jamaican Champs, Usain Bolt's Glen Mills Pulls Him From Monaco Diamond League Meet On July 20th Mills says at the Jamaican champs Bolt had a "slight problem" and that he's pulling track's biggest star from the Monaco meet to "give him sufficient time for treatment and time to train and prepare for the Olympic Games in London." We're not sure if the slight problem was an injury or just the losses, but Bolt says he'll be ready for the Olympics: "I will be in London to defend my titles in the 100, 200 and 4 x 100 metres."
Peachtree *Results *Race Website
Peter Kirui Wins Peachtree As Defending Champ Sammy Kitwara Finishes 8th Kiriui won a close race over Micah Kogo and Matthew Kisorio. Bobby Mack was 13th. Mamitu Daska won the women's race.
Blade Runner Going To London: Oscar P Named To SA Team In Open 400 And 4 X 4 Relay Despite Not Hitting A Second "A" Standard
- Q&A With Coach Bobby Kersee On The Dead Heat The only option he was against was the coin flip.
- Chris Solinsky Interview: Thinks He May Be Ready To Run Some Road Races This Fall "The moment I don't feel I can accomplish more in this sport is the moment I'm gonna hang it up. And I definitely know I can accomplish more in this sport." *MB: "I threw my little hissy fit and didn't finish Monaco"-- Solinsky
- Khadevis Robinson Didn't Start Loving Track Until His Senior Year Of College
Doping Statistics: Which Sports Are Tested The Most And Which Test The Most Positive? Not surprisingly, cycling had the highest positive test rate. Soccer was the most tested and track was second.
NY Times Writer Accuses IOC Of Being Arrogant, Elitist, And Corrupt "In London, more than 250 miles of V.I.P. traffic lanes are reserved not just for athletes and I.O.C. luminaries but also for corporate sponsors."
More Post-Olympic Trials And Tarmoh-Felix News
- Video: Interview With Jeneba Tarmoh Talking about her conversation with Allyson Felix: "I feel like if I would have won fair and square, that's how it should be. They shouldn't change their mind. If it was you, they wouldn't have changed their mind."
*NBC Broadcast With Interview On Tarmoh Pulling Out Of Run-off Also quoted by AP as saying she didn't run "because I believe I earned that spot, because I believe the emotional roller coaster they put me through was too much to go through at the moment."
- Recommended Read: A Look At The Upbringing Of Ashton Eaton Who's "Been Training For The Olympics Pretty Much His Entire Life" Eaton: "I think the reason the decathlon is so appealing is because it's like living an entire lifetime in two days. You have the ups, the downs, the goods, the bads, the comebacks. It all happens in two days, and everybody loves life, and I think that's why we love the decathlon."
- Ben True May Have Competed With Lyme Disease At The Olympic Trials He finished 12th in the 10k and 6th in the 5k. Not bad for a guy who might have Lyme.
- During Morgan Uceny's Olympic Trials 1,500 Final, Everyone In Plymouth, Indiana Was Glued To Their TVs
- 8 Ivy Leaguers Will Be Competing In London Games hepstrack.com
- Brief Chat With Amy Hastings
- EatRunSwag Gives An OT Recap With Some Humor
- HS Jav Thrower Haley Crouser Finished 7th At The OT
Amateur Hour Comes To An End
Rec. Read: Tim Layden's Final Column On The Non-Runoff After a tiny bit of help from the initial LRC interview
timer Roger Jennings that kicked this off
in some ways, Layden owned this story. Another excellent, in-depth read. Three cheers for Tim Layden's coverage. Layden reveals the timer Roger Jennings has only now been overruled twice in his life. Layden has criticism for Max Siegel and Stephanie Hightower who "enacted a stunning display of non-leadership throughout the week."
*Tarmoh Wouldn't Have Much Of A Legal Case If She Filed Suit, Says Expert
More General Post-Trials: A Look At First-Time Olympians, Including 32-Year-Old Carmelita Jeter USA Today "Historically, most people weren't able to go to a second or third Games because they had to put food on the table."
*A Look At US Team: Dix, Clay, Wariner, Jackson, Oliver Staying Home
*Arizona's Brigetta Barrett Now A Medal Threat For The US In The High Jump
Swimming: 45-Year-Old Swimmer Dana Torres Misses Olympics By .10
Previous Run-Off Drama
USATF Official Update: Jeneba Tarmoh Has Conceded Her Spot To Allyson Felix And There Will Be No Runoff
*Jeneba Tarmoh Says She Felt Bullied By USATF To Make A Decision, But That She's At Peace With It Now "I felt pressured into having to make a decision. They said, 'Do you want to concede or do you want to run?' I was like, 'Are those my only two options?' They said yes, so I said, 'Yes, I will run.' But then as I was going throughout the day, I thought about it and I ran that 100m, I took my victory lap, I went through the press conference, I got my medal, and then they tell me I have to run again, after I ran six rounds of the 100m and 200m? I just had a whole lot of emotions and was heartbroken because in my mind, I felt like my joy was kind of taken ..."
Tarmoh Feels Tired & Robbed, Tarmoh-Felix May Be Off Friend of LRC Tim Layden of Sports Illustrated has an exclusive story saying the run-off may be off. The first year pro Tarmoh feels robbed because Roger Jennings told SI.com (thanks to the exclusive LRC interview with Jennings that set this whole thing off), "If I went back and read that photo 100 times, I would call it the same way every time (for Tarmoh)." Amazingly, USATF asked Layden for a copy of the article late Sunday night. Did USATF not know what their head timer said over a week ago? Have they not heard of Google? Unbelievable. Tarmoh: "In my heart of hearts, I just feel like I earned the third spot. I almost feel like I was kind of robbed."
*Deadspin: Amateur Hour At The U.S. Track And Field Olympic Trials
Down Goes Bolt #2: Blake 19.80 Over Bolt 19.83 Bolt had the lead in this one and ran horribly the last 100. Video here.
*Bolt: "It is not like I was blown away. I know what I need to do to get it right."
On The Boards: BOLT IS DONE!!!!
*Jamaica 200m Trials
*Blake wins again!
Sunday Trials Non-Distance *Results
Greatest Long Jump In US History? Chelsea Hayes Jumps 17-Inch PR To Make Olympic Team In Long Jump It was the first long jump in US history with 3 women over 23 feet, as Hayes had the huge PR on her final jump
to take the lead. Reese
passed her on the final jump of the competition that was called a foul, then overturned.
400 Hurdles: Michael Tinsley Wins Hurdles As Angelo Taylor Clips Hurdle, Batman Misses Out, Lashinda Demus Wins Women's Batman tweeted here about Taylor hitting his hurdle.
Men's 200m: Wallace Spearmon: "If I didn't make the team this year, that would have been on my mind for the rest of my life."
Javelin: Brittany Borman Hits "A" Standard On Final Throw To Win Javelin And Go To London
LRC *Check Final Prediction Contest Scores The scores are unofficial and we still need to put Felix in there for a tie for third (we'll have two thirds regardless of the runoff) so that will be one more point.
Felix, Tarmoh Runoff At 5:30pm On Monday
LRC Allyson Felix 21.69!!!, Aries Merritt 12.93 Allyson Felix ran the fastest time in the world in 14 years in a brilliant performance. Merritt picked the right occasion for the first sub-13 clocking of his life. Jason Richardson went under 13 for the first time in the semis and backed it up with a 12.98 in the final. Jeff Porter did a superman dive to make the team in a dramatic effort with PRs in the semis and final. David Oliver did not make the team. Amy Acuff became the 6th 5-time track Olympian, Christian Taylor won and Walter Davis retired.
*Video Of Hurdles *Video Of 200
- High Jump: Chaunte Lowe Wins High Jump, Amy Acuff Becomes 6th 5-Time Track Olympian
*15-Year-Old High School Sophomore Gets 5th In Olympic Trials HJ
- Hurdles: Jeff Porter's Late Dad's Dream Helps Carry Him To London
*Jason Richardson Celebrates Sub-13 With A New Tattoo
- 200: Tim Layden: Despite Controversy, Felix Proves Her Elite Status In The 200 Felix and Tarmoh's coach, Bob Kersee, said that Monday would definitely be too early for a 100 race-off.
*Ken Goe Explains Where They're At With The 100m Tie Fiasco USATF, coach and athletes met last night so there should be news soon. Neither athlete hinted at much in yesterday's interviews: *Tarmoh Interview *Felix At Press Conference
- Triple Jump: Christian Taylor, Will Claye Dominate Triple Jump, Walter Davis Gets 3rd And Retires Right After
- Heptathlon: Hyleas Fountain Wins, Chantae McMillan PRs To Hit "A" Standard
Eugene For 2016?
- NY Times Looks At Whether Eugene Should Keep Hosting Trials
Article claims Asics is a sponsor of the Trials which is news to us.
"No one wants to get Nike upset because they effectively fund USA Track
& Field, so they've painted themselves into a corner." - James Dunaway
On The Boards: Allyson Felix just dropped the hammer
*Wake Up Letsrun! - Stop sleeping on the women's 200m
LRC USATF Explanation On Why Alice Schmidt Is In The Final Let us just say for the record: "Alice Schmidt should not be in the final." It is not logical.
LRC Gabriele Anderson Reinstated And Put In Final: "She's in. There is a god in track and field after all." That's the quote from Anderson's fiancee Justin Grunewald. Video of the rightfully-reversed DQ is here. Thread on DQ here.
LRC Steeple Recap: Coburn Cruises, Kipp Gets "A" To Join Franek In London (link updated with article) The last 3 NCAA champions in this event secured the Olympic spots for the US.
LRC Emma Coburn Gets Emotional, Shalaya Kipp, Bridget Franek, Delilah DiCrescenzo Olympic Trials Interviews Delilah: "Not everyone is meant to be an Olympian."
*MB: 1,500, 5,000 & steeple play by plays - women and men
*CU's Emma Coburn, Shalaya Kipp Book Tickets To London In Steeple Denver Post
*Patience Pays Off For Bridget Franek As She Makes Olympic Team Oregonian
Gabriele Anderson DQed, Alice Schmidt Put Into Final Anderson was a clear second in her semifinal but has been DQed with an appeal to be held in the morning.
Video Of Alleged Foul It does not look like a foul to us. If a foul was committed, it seems logical the athlete fouled should be put in the final as well. If it's not big enough to put Mortimer in the final, how can it DQ Anderson?
*RRW Article On DQ
LRC Flash Women's 1,500m Semifinal: Favorites Advance As Uceny And Rowbury Impress, Alice Schmidt Goes Out
*Women's 1,500m Post-Race Interviews: Simpson, Uceny, Rowbury, Hasay, and more.
LRC Flash Men's 1,500m Semifinal: Wheating Has To Make Late Charge To Advance, Favorites Advance Russell Brown did not get through.
LRC Men's 1,500m Interviews: Andrew Wheating, Matt Centrowitz, German Fernandez, Will Leer, Russell Brown Men's 1,500m Semifinal Interviews
*Andrew Wheating Makes Final, Russell Brown Goes Home Oregonian
*Wheating Says Russell Brown Trains Harder Than Him, Deserves To Be On Team More Than Him
LRC German Fernandez Is Turning Professional updated Fernandez looks back on his collegiate career and says the 5,000 is his best event.
- Justin Gatlin And Dix Pull Out Of 200
- RG3: "If I wake up one day and it’s 2016 and I say I want to go run the hurdles again, I can do that."
- After Slow Start, Jill Camarena-Williams Wins Shot
- Alberto Talks About Galen's Wins
- Galen Met Uncle Phil After Winning Trials Eugene Register Guard
Three Distance Finals Take Place Thursday *Oregonian Day 7 Photos
M 5,000: LRC Lucky 13 - Galen Rupp Snaps Winless Streak In Style - 52.54 Last Lap Beats Bernard Lagat & Steve Prefontaine's Meet Record Galen Rupp entered
the Olympic Trials 0 for 12 against Bernard Lagat during his lifetime but he left 1 for 13 and boy was it impressive. Not only did he win, but Rupp let it came down to the last 400 and then outkicked the 2nd-fastest man ever at 1,500. His last 400 was faster than what won Mo Farah World Championships gold last year.
M Steeple: LRC Evan Jager Wins With Ease As Three First-Time Olympians Punch Their Tickets To London Jager, Cabral, Alcorn. And a very happy 4th placer - former 4:22 HSer Donald Cowart.
*LRC Steeplechase Interviews
*Oregonian Recap Of Jager's Tongue-Wagging, Fist-Pumping Win
1,500s: LRC Recap Of 1,500 Prelims Since USATF in its brilliance only ran three heats of 10 instead of three or four heats of 12, hardly anyone was eliminated. The favorites all looked pretty good. Two guys without the "A" - Will Leer & Jordan McNamara - looked great in the men's action as well and got heat wins.
*More: LRC Women's 1,500m Round 1 Post-Race Interviews
*LRC Men's 1,500m Round 1 Post-Race Interviews
LRC Semi-Live MB Coverage/Discussion Of Thursday's Action The women's 1,500 first round is in the books.
*MB: How long would it take Lagat to break the American Record in the steeple??
- 400: University Of Illinois' NCAA Champ Ashley Spencer Skipped The Trials To Focus On World Juniors With a 50.95 PR, she had a decent shot at making the team (at least on the relay). Young athletes all assume they'll have more chances 4 years from now, but with injuries it doesn't always work out. But if you make it, then "Once you're an Olympian you're always an Olympian."
- Webb Speaks: Alan Webb On His Past Brilliance: "I sometimes wonder how I did it myself." "Maybe I inspired everybody too much, like I created a monster, and now I have to run against these guys."
More Olympic Trials Monday Distance
LRC Montano Hangs
On, Gall Comes On, Schmidt Sneaks In, And Beckwith Has A 4-Year Wait Alysia Montano won as expected, but this one was close. 5 women were in contention for 3 Olympic spots and Molly Beckwith was the unlucky 4th place loser in a dramatic final 20 meters. *Race Video
LRC Alan Webb's 2012 Olympic Dream Is Over article link updated w comments from USA Today, SI The dad-to-be faded to last in his 5,000m heat and immediately after said he would not run the 1,500 at the Trials. It's soul-searching time for Alan Webb. Article, links and video.
LRC 5k Prelims: Alan Webb, Jackie Areson And Brie Felnagle Go Home - Lauren Fleshman Does Not Alan Webb finished last in his heat and then announced he won't be running the 1,500. Some other big names went home as well, including 2012 US #3 Jackie Areson.
LRC Steeple Prelims: All The Favorites Are Through As US Champ Billy Nelson Barely Makes The Final Former US Champ Steve Slattery did not advance. In the women's race, Emma Coburn showed why she's the favorite as she tempoed to victory in her heat while some others tried and failed to hit the "A" standard.
800m Final Photos (Click Below For Gallery)
24 Hours Of Amateur Hour At USATF Comes To An End (In Case You Missed LRC Featured On The Homepage Of Deadspin)
USATF Tie-Breaking Procedures Announced A run-off will break all ties unless BOTH athletes agree to a coinflip. We can't wait to see a run-off in a 10,000m.
Employee #1.1 Editorial: A Rule Still With A Million Loopholes USATF needs a rule that will solve all situations; this one does not.
Eugene Saturday *LRC Trials YouTube Channel
LRC The Inside Story Of How Jeneba Tarmoh First Saw The 100m Finish Photo On The LetsRun.com Laptop Roughly 3 Hours After The Race
the 100m, but the story was the battle for the third spot between training partners Jeneba Tarmoh and Allyson Felix. At first,
Tarmoh was announced in third by .001 but then after
the stands had emptied, a dead
heat was announced. We thought we were the only ones not knowing what was going on, until next thing we knew Tarmoh was looking at the finish photo on Wejo's laptop (pic on right).
LRC An Exclusive Interview With The Man Responsible For Reading The Allyson Felix 100m Finish Picture LetsRun.com exclusively caught up Roger Jennings, the man whose job it is to determine who finished third and who got fourth, and the timing whiz explained how it was determined there was a dead heat. Plus we do a little bit of research and determine that even though USATF has said there is no protocol for breaking a tie, that the USATF rule book does in fact envision such a scenario and has a solution - a old-fashioned drawing of lots!!!
LRC Lolo Jones' Third Place Steals The Show In The Olympic Trials Hurdles Final Lolo turned around her season in 24 hours after a "reality meltdown" following round one. She said, "I woke up today and did not think I would make the team. I was fighting a constant head battle to get through this. I had my sports psychologist on speed dial 1, my pastor on speed dial 2, and my mom on speed dial 3 ..."
Shot Put Stunner: LRC 5-Time World/Olympic Silver Medallist & One-Time World Champ Adam Nelson Misses Final, Gives Emotional Presser And Advice For Us All Nelson may still compete but had great advice for us all: "When you do it the right way and you do it every single day, the hard work pays off time and time again." Full video and recap.
Friday's 10,000m At The Track Trials *LRC Day 1 Photos Gallery *LRC YouTube Channel *Day 1 Photos *Check Prediction Contest Scores *LRC Day-By-Day Coverage
LRC Women's 10,000m Amy Hastings Outkicks Suprising Natosha Rogers And Shalane Flanagan For Redemption This race had no drama for the Olympic spots the final mile but it was full of drama. Lisa Uhl's shoe came untied, Natosha Rogers fell and then got up and in the fourth 10k of her life beat Olympic medallist Shalane Flanagan. The laurel wreath went to Amy Hastings, the
place finisher at the Marathon Trials.
*LRC 10,000m Photos
Day 2 Photo Gallery (Eaton World Record)
LRC Hammer Time Kicks Off 2012 Olympic Trials Successfully And The First LetsRun.com Hammer Interview Ever With The Guy In The Green T-Shirt Best hammer throw we've ever seen. Plus the exclusive first-ever LetsRun.com hammer interview with the guy (Chris Cralle) who finished second in a plain green T-shirt.
*Kibwe Johnson And Amber Campbell Win Hammer Throws To Kick Off Olympic Trials In Portland
6 Guys Break 12:50
US-Related Distance News
- Good News Or Ridiculous? Maybe Both Town Of Mammoth Lakes Goes Bankrupt But Track For Pros In Track Club Will Still Be Built
*More On Bankruptcy
- Andy Bayer Not Going Pro
- Gary Cohen's Lengthy Wesley Korir Q&A Wesley spent over an hour talking in depth about the 2012 Boston Marathon, the upcoming Chicago Marathon, the Kenyan Kids Foundation, how his faith, wife & Ryan Hall have helped him, influence of Sammy Wanjiru, growing up in Kenya, coming to the US, collegiate racing and his coaches, training mileage, key workouts, future goals and "Inside Stuff" like his first running memory and most embarrassing moment.
Hilarious Hurdle Video From Chinese University Games: Liu Xiang Would Be Ashamed
Other US News
- 2024: USOC Says It Will Not Bid For 2022 Winter Olympics To Focus On Bids For 2024 And 2026 New York Times
- Does US T&F Need A Bolt-Like Star To Be Popular?
- Legendary Track Coach Bill Carson Passes Away He coached LaShawn Merritt in college.
- Mo Greene Gives His Analysis Of Usain Bolt Losing
- British Amputee Sprinter Jonnie Peacock Runs 10.85 100m World Record
- Charles van Commenee Says He Will Pick British Olympic Track Team But That There Will Be Appeals
Blake Beats Bolt X 2 In 200
Leo The Lion After Winning The Trials
Morgan Uceny After Winning Her First Trials
Latest Euro/Arican Champs News (More Below)
Euros: High Jumper Robbie Grabarz And Hurdler Rhys Williams Win Gold For Britain
*800: Russia's Yelena Arzhakova Wins Gold Over Britain's Lynsey Sharp
*800 Men: Yuriy Borzakovskiy Wins European Title In 1:48.61
Africa: Gabon's Ruddy Zang Milam Runs 11.16 At African Champs
*Oscar P Runs 45.52 For African Silver, But Not Good Enough To Qualify For Olympics
Kenyan Athletes Opposed To Plan To Ship Them To Training Camp In Bristol, England On July 3
*Look Out, Galen: Wilson Kiprop Wants To Win 10,000m Gold In Honor Of His Deceased Mom
Emma Coburn Gets Emotional With Teammate Shalaya Kipp After Making Olympics
The Race Of The Trials So Far: Julia Lucas' Agony Of Defeat (Race Video Here, More 5k W Interviews Here, Men 5k Here, Men Steeple Here)
News From The Rest Of The World
Jamaican: Jamaican 100m Heats: Yohan Blake 10.0, Usain Bolt 10.06, Asafa Powell 10.19 *Live
Stream Here. *Schedule
European Champs: *Full Results
*Christophe Lemaitre's 10.06 Defeats Jimmy Vicaut's 10.09 To Win Europeans
*Russia's Olga Golovkina Wins 5,000m
*Ivet Lalova Wins European 100m She's the one who blew Employee #1 a kiss at Worlds.
*After Pulling Out Of Europeans, Jenny Meadows Hopes To Be Selected For London Without Running A Race In 2012 (She Ran A 2:00.8 Time Trial)
*British Olympic 5,000m Spot To Come Down To Steph Twell And Julia Bleasdale
*Mo Farah Closes In 53 Seconds (1:55 Last 800) To Win Euros 5,000 In 13:29 Germany's Arne Gabius was 2nd in 13:31. *Play-By-Play
Kenya: Kenyan Gold Medalists Will Be Awarded $20,588 Paid Out By Kenyan Olympic Committee And Government
*Kenyan President Meets With Olympic Athletes David Rudisha has been named team Captain.
Galen Rupp After Beating Lagat (More 5,000m Here)
Evan Jager After Making His First Olympic Team
Andrew Wheating And Russell Brown After Round 1 Of 1,500
Non-Trials US News
- Ritz To Run 2012 BOA Chicago Marathon
- Born After 1984? Learn All About Michael Johnson's 200/400 Double In Atlanta And Most Importantly His Golden Nike Spikes "It might have been a little bit bragadocious, but you know what? He of all people, probably more than anybody in history, could back it up."
Alan Webb's 2012 Olympic Dream Is Over (More On This Here (Link Fixed)). More Trials Videos Here
Tyler Mulder Showing The Emotion Of The Trials
BAA 10k 2012 BAA 10k Results
Geoffrey Mutai Runs 27:29 In Boston, Kim Smith Wins
We think Sam Chelanga still has a good chance to win $100,000 despite being crushed by nearly a minute.
Kenyan Trials *Mid-D/Distance Results
- King David Rudisha Runs 1:42.12 Altitude WR To Put Kenyan Crowd Into A Frenzy King David wasn't the only one to excite the crowd as even bigger cheers went
to Ezekiel Kemboi, who set the crowd afire when he pulled up to eventual steeple winner Brimin Kipruto and seemingly motioned to let him win with 50m to go before re-enacting his famous "Daegu jig" at the finish. Asbel Kiprop barely qualified (3rd) as Olympic champ Nancy Lagat, Linet Masai
and Paul Kipsiele Koech fell by the wayside.
*Kemboi's Dance Gets More Cheers Than Rudisha's Win
*MB: Rudisha's 1:42.12 NEW ALTITUDE WR!!! Brimin Kipruto 8:11 steeplechase and Isaiah Koech 13:09 as well, if this isn't a troll.
*MB: Kiprop 3rd: "It's a good thing that I did not win the Trials since the pressure that comes with it is too much."
- AP Recap: Rudisha, Jelimo And Cheruiyot Win
LRC Exclusive: Timer Explains The Allyson Felix Tie
Matt Taylor Speaks #2
LRC Redefine Running: Who's In Charge Of "The Sport" (link fixed) Last week Matt Taylor, the guy behind ChasingTradition, ChasingKimbia, ChasingGlory, and an upcoming Usain Bolt video game, told you running was dying. This week he tells you it's thriving. He explains the inconsistency. While the activity of running is thriving, the sport is dead with the mainstream sports fan. In the internet era, diehards get their fix, while Joe Sports-Fan has no idea who Matt Centrowitz is. How do we fix this?