- Recommended Read: RW Q&A With Jason Hartmann Post NYC On His Big PR And His Thoughts Going Into Next Month's Boston Marathon He definitely sounds read as he said, "I’ve done more mileage this time around. I’ve added some cross-training, two times a week on the Alter-G for 30 minutes and on the EFX [elliptical machine] on another day. And I’m doing about ten more miles a week than I’ve previously done. I’m varying between 130 and 135 miles a week."
- Janet Cherebon-Bawcom, Jen Rhines and Colleen De Reuck Lead Field For Women's US 10 Mile Championships At Cherry Blossom Ten Mile On April 7th The men's field is led by last year’s winner Allan Kiprono and 2012 runner-up Lani Kiplagat.
- Clip From HBO Sports Interview With Lolo Jones Talking About Her Role In Bobsledding The way she describes it, she does 6 seconds of work at the start and then sits back and enjoys the ride.
- The Rock 'n' Roll Series Makes Big Changes To It's Prize Structure For Both Elites And Age Group Runners For elites, runners will earn prize money based on time rather than place, with anyone going under 65 minutes for the half-marathon getting $1,000. The overall series will end in a championship meet and give $240,000 total to elites ($75,000 to the male/female champs) every two years.
- Bridget Franek Named USATF Athlete Of The Week For Breaking US 2k Steeple Record However, as we noted in our Week That Was, Franek's time is actually at a slower pace than Jenny Simpson's US 3000m steeple record.
- USATF Gives $1500 Grants To 31 Elite Athletes
- Lauren Fleshman Blogs On Her Pregnancy
- HS: Senior Andres Arroyo Runs Solo 4:04.45 1600 For 3rd All-Time In Florida State
- NCAA: Rankings: Texas A&M Men, Kansas Women Named Preseason DI Outdoor Favorites
Usain Bolt News: Bolt vs Rudisha Over 400m?
- David Rudisha Says Talks Are Still On Between Him And Usain Bolt About A Showdown Over 400m This Year Rudisha: “Many people have been asking me if I can run with Bolt in the same race and I have informed him of what my fans want. He also told me that he is under pressure to compete with me and we have since been making jokes with him on this matter."
*MB: RUDISHA VS BOLT IN 400 METERS !!!
- Usain Bolt Will Run Brussels Diamond League Meet On September 6th He will decide later this year whether he'll do the 100 or 200. Probably whichever one Yohan Blake isn't doing.
- Bolt Will Be Exempt From Paying UK Income Tax At Next Year's Commonwealth Games And Olympic Anniversary Meet At The Olympic Stadium This July
Asafa Powell: How To Spot A Gold Digger "Men, be smart about your choices in women. There are some manipulative women out there who are only trying to get close to get what they can out of you, and once you can't fulfil that need, that person will be gone."
After Setting WR And Winning Gold, Ashton Eaton Admits He Suffered Post-Olympic Thoughts Of "What Do I Do Now?" - But He's Motivated Again Eaton may do LJ/Decathlon double in 2016 and just pole vault in 2020.
Britain's European Silver 60m Man James Dasaolu (6.48) Says That His 60 Time Converts To Sub-10 For 100m He ran 10.09 back in 2009 as a 21-year-old but then tore "every muscle in my lower body in the last few years."
More Post-NYC Half Results *LRC Analysis
Proof Sleep The Night Before The Race Doesn't Matter: Dathan Ritzenhein Says He Didn't Sleep The Night Before He Finished 3rd At The NYC Half Marathon "I didn't sleep at all last night. I've never had that happen before."
*NYC Half 3rd Placer Lisa Stublic Always Thought Of Herself As A Steeplechaser Before She Got Some Harsh/Good Advice From Her Coach In Croatia Coach Petrovic told the Columbia alum, "You're a horrible steeplechase runner, get it out of your head."
More Results From The Weekend
- Kenya's Philip Mosima Won Sunday's Shmrockin' Run 8k In New Orleans In 22:15, Beating Julius Kogo By One Hundredth Of A Second Ben Bruce was the top American in 9th place (23:14). Kenya's Risper Gesabwa won the women's race in 25:40. *Top 10 Results
*Good Article On Mosima, Who At 12 Years Old Raced The 1988 Kenyan Olympic Trials Barefoot And Threw Down With Future 5,000 Olympic Champ John Ngugi
- American Distance Project Athletes Help Team USA Finish 7th At World Military Cross-Country Championships Robert Cheseret, Kyle Heath and Augustus Maiyo finished 23rd, 24th and 31st, racing in below freezing temperatures in Apatin, Serbia.
- Garrett Heath And Geena Gall Win Lodi Mile Titles (updated article)
- IAAF Cuban Champs Recap: Olympic PV Silver Medalist Yarisley Silva Sets A Central American & Caribbean Record Of 4.81m
Assorted US News
- Good Spikes-Mag Article On Jenn Suhr As She Talks About Breaking The WR And Her Thoughts Looking Ahead To Moscow 2013 Suhr: "Rick (her husband and coach) told me I'd not been reaching my potential to go up to the next level. At first I thought it was a harsh statement and I got a little bit angry. But when I sat back, it was true. I was not reaching my potential. I was only looking to win the meet but if I wanted to jump higher, I had to take more chances."
- 16-Year-Old Alana Hadley Will Make Her Marathon Debut At The Cleveland Marathon On May 19th She already has the 14 & 15 American age group records over the half marathon with a best of 1:16:41. A conversion calculator puts her at about 2:41, which would miss the US 16-year-old record (also US junior record) of 2:34:24 set by Cathy Schiro at the 1984 Olympic Trials.
- On Saturday, Oregon State Will Host A Track Meet For The First Time In 25 Years
- Texas A&M Throwers Sam Humphreys And Shelbi Vaughn Are USTFCCCA's DI Athletes Of The Week Humphreys moved into the collegiate top 10 in the javelin with 81.40m and in her collegiate discus debut, Vaughan broke the Texas A&M school record on her first throw and set the school record at 56.40m.
- 9 Elite Athletes Get $7,000 "Stephen A. Schwarzman" Grants From USATF Include Morgan Uceny, Alysia Montano and Manteo Mitchell (the 4 x 4 runner who broke his leg at the Olympics).
- Former Olympians Highlights Fields For This Weekends USATF Master's Indoor Champs
NYC Half *Results/Splits *Photo Gallery
*Race Recap *Video Highlights
LRC LetsRun.com Analyzes The 2013 NYC Half/ With Post-Race Athlete Reaction What's the takeaway from Wilson Kipsang's 61:02 win, Ritz's 61:10 3rd place showing, and Bernard Lagat's half marathon debut? What about Caroline Rotich's win on the women's side and former CT state champ and Columbia runner Lisa Stublic, who was a surprising third (and now runs for Croatia) ahead of top American Stephanie Rothstein Bruce, who had a big PR?
LRC Wilson Kipsang And Caroline Rotich Win NYC Half (results and splits only) After a slow start at the NYC Half, Dathan Ritzenhein heated things up and then Wilson Kipsang took over, running to victory in 1:01:02 over Italy's Daniel Meucci and Ritz. Bernard Lagat ran 1:02:33 in his debut as he beat his training partner Abdi2. On the women's side Caroline Rotich led at 5k, 10k, 15k, 20k, and the finish but it was far from easy. Early leader Kim Smith dropped out with a muscle strain and Rotich was caught by Diane Nukuri-Johnson and Lisa Stublic but held on for victory.
*Japan University Runner Kenta Murayama Does Well In NYC Half With A 10th Place Finish (1:02:02)
*NY Times: NYRR Stage Their First Major Road Race Since The Cancellation Of The NYC Marathon
*OTB: LAGAT 1:02:33 for 12th at NYC half!!! Ritz 1:01:10 for 3rd *Jason Hartmann
Weekend Track Action
- Oregon Preview: OTC's Bridget Franek Sets AR In The 2,000m Steeplechase (6:19.09) OTC's Ben Blankenship won the 1,500 (3:48.57), Hassan Mead the 3k (7:58.43) and Julia Lucas the women's 3k (9:21.91). Oregon's 400 star Mike Berry ran 2:01.65 in the 800. *Full Results
*Recommended Read: Julia Lucas Pre-Race: "I'd always rather fail being bold than fail being too meek or tentative."
*MB: Oregon Preview - Live Stream NOW - link *Mike Berry (44.75 400m) running the 800
- Cal Poly Invy: Ashton Easton Starts Off His Season Well With 3 Wins At The Cal Poly Invitational He won the javelin with a PR of 218-7.5, set the MR in the 110 hurdles (13.76 seconds) and ran for the winning 4 x 4 relay (which finished in 3:18.2). It was emailed to us that he split 47.xx in the 4x4 and actually DNF'd the first heat of the 110H after falling, but was given a spot in the 2nd heat instead. *Full
*Pre-Race Press Conference With Ashton Eaton
- MileSplit Weekend HS Coverage
*Alexa Elfraimson just ran a 4:19 1500 as a HS sophmore
- Christian Cushing-murray runs 3:55.09 for 1500 at age 45!
- Perth Classic: IAAF Perth Track Classic Recap: Greg Rutherford Wins LJ As Mitchell Watt Pulls Out With Cramping In His Calf Brit Steve Lewis won the PV over US's former World champ Brad Walker and Australia's former Olympic champ Steve Hooker.
- Ethiopian Jr. Champs: Zewdu Mola Wins Men's Steeplechase In An Impressive 8:49.20 17-year-old Senbere Teferi won the women's 3,000 in 9:12.95 in her first time racing the distance.
- National Bank of Kenya/Athletics Kenya Meet Recap
- European Cup Winter Throwing Meet: IAAF Day 2 Recap: German World Discus Silver Medalist Nadine Muller Wins In 66.69m
*Complete Results *EA Day 2 Recap *EA U-23 D2 Recap
*IAAF Day 1: Spanish European Cup Winter Throwing Meet: Russia's Javelin World Champ Mariya Abakumov Wins In 69.34m
*EA D1 Recap *Under-23 D1 Recap
Jamaican Boys And Girls' Champs
- Could The Next Usain Bolt Be Running For GB In 2016? World Junior 200m Champ Delano Williams (From GB Overseas Territory Turks And Caicos) Runs Fast 100/200 The 19-year-old won the Jamaican Boys and Girls Champs 200 in 20.72 (.02 off Bolt's MR) and won the 100 in 10.28 (.07 away from Yohan Blake's MR). He'll be joining the Racers TC to train with Bolt and Blake.
*Update: According To This Article, Along With The Individual 100/200, Williams Also Anchored His Team's 4 X 1 From Last To 2nd Place & Anchored The 4 X 4 For The Win With A 44.xx Split
- Holmwood Technical High Comes From Way Behind To Beat Defending Girls Champs Edwin Allen By 5 Points
- Calabar High School Boys Dominate On The Final Day To Successfully Defend Their Jamaican Boys And Girls Champs Title
*Jamaica Gleaner Meet Recap
- LRC Scandal At NYC Half As Favorite Kim Smith Eats A Cupcake And Wilson Kipsang Drinks A Coke The favorites Kim Smith and Wilson Kipsang went before the media on Friday and it was full-out scandal in NYC. Kim Smith ate a cupcake, and Wilson Kipsang had a non-diet Coke. Mayor Bloomberg had no comment. In less important news, Kipsang and Smith talked about their preparations for the race.
- LRC Janet Bawcom And Jason Hartmann Both American Stars, Both Pondering Their Future In The Sport
- Lagat And The FULL: Bernard Lagat Says If NYC Half Goes Well, He May Do A Full Marathon In The Fall He said it's "Very likely, very likely."
- NYRR: NY Times: "NYRR Facing More Difficulty 4 Months After Marathon Uproar" According to this article, "Questions about the group's future persist, including whether its dominance has started to erode because of rival race organizers and disaffected runners."
- More: Lagat Wants To Win The 2014 World Indoor 3k So He Can Have 4 Wins And Then "That's The End Of It" He doesn't plan on competing in Rio 2016 when he'll be 41.
- Jason Hartmann Hoping To Extend Career Beyond Boston Marathon "It's a top heavy sport and the gap is starting to grow a lot more. Unfortunately you'll probably see less guys sticking around in the sport just because it is so top heavy. Guys are running a lot faster and money is very limited."
- Guor Marial Hoping To Be Known For More Than Olympic Journey "Instead of being just an Olympic athlete and someone who raises awareness through the media, I want to be someone like Wilson Kipsang or Bernard Lagat. I want to improve myself and not just go [out] there, but to win."
- Portugal's European 3,000m Champ Sara Moreira Will Race NYC Half In First Trip To USA "I will first and foremost run, and have to observe the landmarks at another time."
- Kim Smith To Focus On Shorter Distances For Spring
Interesting: IAAF Online Diary From PV Olympic Champ Renaud Lavillenie, Who Says He Doesn't Think He Can Get Sergey Bubka's WR "I am sure that you are wondering what I think from now about the World record of Sergey Bubka. I am going to answer frankly: I think that it is not inaccessible. ... In order to raise the bar to 6.15m and manage to clear it, I still need to gain consistency. This winter, I managed to go past the 5.90m mark four times. Now, I have to be able to clear 5.95m or 6m more often, if I do not want to look ridiculous when I will attempt to beat his world record."
Previous NYC Half News
LRC Bernard Lagat, Abdi Abdirahman and Dathan Ritzenhein are all running the 2013 NYC Half Marathon on Sunday with different objectives. For Lagat, it's his anticipated half marathon debut. Lagat sounds ready and has been training some with Abdi. For Abdi, the emphasis is on getting ready for the Boston Marathon next month. Abdi sounds off on that and the drug problem in the sport. For Ritz, there is no spring marathon or World XC. Can he regain his 1:00:00 form? Textual recaps coming. Interviews with all 3 below:
- LRC 8 Minutes With Lagat: Talks About His Half Debut And Taking On Farah And Rupp At Worlds In The 5,000m
- LRC Abdi Talks 4 Olympics, Training With Lagat And Sambu, Drugs In Marathoning, And Martin Fagan
- LRC Ritz Talks About The Half, No World XC, His Initial Success With Alberto, And Getting Back In Form In Chicago Last Year
- RRW: Wilson Kipsang Hoping To Celebrate 31st Birthday With NYC Half Win
- RRW: Family Ties Bring Americans Bernard Lagat, Abdi Abdirahman And Dathan Ritzenhein Together
*Bernard Lagat Confident For Sunday's NYC Half With Help From Abdirahman, Farah
*Young Japanese Stars Murayama And Otsu Take Advantage Of NYC Half Opportunity
- Good Read: Janet Bawcom Comes Into NYC Half Having Just Won The US 15k Champs Last Weekend She talks about her 15k win, her expectations ahead of NYC, and visiting her family in Kenya last year after the Olympics.
- Reigning World XC Champ Imane Merga Says He's Fit Ready To Defend His Title Next Weekend Despite Dropping Out Of The Ethiopian Trials Of his DNF he said, "There is no need to worry. I had been training really hard in February and even did a tough session the day before the race. I just felt tired."
*AK Head Isaiah Kiplagat Says He's Confident Kenya Will Retain Their Titles At World XC Champs
- An Extremely Deep Field Is Set For Rotterdam Marathon On April 14th Field includes proven stud marathoners in Berhanu Shiferaw (2:04:48 for 2nd in Dubai), Getu Feleke (last year's Rotterdam runner-up in 2:04:50), 2:05:25 man Bazu Worku, Tilahun Regassa (2:05:27 debut in Chicago), Wilson Chebet (2:05:27) and Sammy Kitwara (2:05:54). Also RAK half champ Geoffery Kipsang 58:54) and debutants Atsedu Tsegay (58:47) and John Nzau Mwangangi (59:45).
- Usain Bolt And Yohan Blake Will Compete Along With Racers Club Teammates In Ostrava Golden Spike Meet 4 X 100 Others named for Ostrava are Valerie Adams, Ivan Ukhov and Trinidad and Tobago's javelin Olympic champ Keshorn Walcott.
Week In Review
LRC WTW: Mary Cain Vs. D'Agostino, Lawi Lalang's Double Vs. Galen Rupp's Triple, Eric Jenkins, And The Greatest High School Finish Ever? Abbey D'Agostino and Lawi Lalang stole the show at NCAAs, but Jordan Hasay ended her NCAA indoor career with an impressive feat. Plus, Eric Jenkins turned a few heads and we have a must, must watch video from the NBIN if you have 90 seconds to spare.
Drug News: 17 More Caught By Biological Passport
- 17 More Athletes Caught And Facing Doping Bans Due To Blood Abnormalities Detected With IAAF's Biological Passport The athletes are at this point unnamed.
*MB: 17 POSITIVE TESTS!!.(not released by the IAAF yet) Make your bets here!
- IAAF Sets Up Temporary Blood Testing Facility In Kenya The reason blood testing hasn't been done in Kenya in the past is because the remote training locations made it hard or impossible to get samples to an accredited laboratory within the required 36-hour time frame.
- WADA Says They Will Take Extra Donation From Russia With "No Strings Attached" WADA's Director said that "One of the conditions we have with any funds that we are given by any organisation is that it's not tied to anything."
Usain Bolt And Jessica Ennis Win World Sportsman & Sportswoman Of The Year At Laureus World Sports Awards
*Felix Sanchez Wins Comeback Of The Year Award As Seb Coe Won The Lifetime Achievement Award
*Video Of Ennis Accepting
*Video Of Usain Bolt's Hologram Accepting The Award Not sure why, but Bolt coudln't make it, so his Hologram accepted for him.
World XC Is March 24th: Mercy Cherono And Vincent Chepkok Off Kenyan Team
- World Junior XC Champ Mercy Cherono And 2011 Bronze Medalist Vincent Chepkok Dropped From Kenya's World XC Teams 2010 champ Emily Chebet now leads the women's team.
*This Article Says Cherono Is Still Recovering From The Flu
MB: Something to ponder, Mary Cain beat Emma Coburn (NCAA mile champ) and Abbey D'Agostino (NCAA 3k/5k) prior to 2013 NCAAs What event(s) might Cain have won at NCAAs?
*Mary Cain Feature In Her Local Paper Not only is she incredible at running, she has a 4.2 GPA.
2013 NCAA Indoor Championships *NCAA Results *Saturday Photo Gallery *Friday Photo Gallery *Men's DMR Photo Gallery *Women's DMR Photo Gallery *LRC Banquet Photos *Friday Photos *LRC Friday Interviews *LRC Post-Race Video Interviews
The Coronation: Abbey D'Agostino Completes The Double
The NCAA has a new queen and American distance running may have its leading face for the next decade as D'Agostino became the first American 5,000 and 3,000 NCAA indoor champion ever, let alone at the same NCAA meet. Jordan Hasay finished second in what she called "probably the best race of my life." as she gave Oregon the points that gave them their 4th-straight team title. Emma Coburn won the mile and Natoya Goule the 800.
*Flash recaps - more later. In the meantime, check out:
*LRC Post-Race Video Interviews With Most Of Saturday's Major Players
Meanwhile, On The Boards:
- Elijah Greer Rocks The Long Hair To The Win!
- JENKINS WOULD HAVE WON IF ERASSA DIDNT CUT HIM OFF
- LAWI LALANG DROPS EVERYBODY!!
- Will the Oregon women be the only team ever to win Cross indoor and outdoors in the same year
- WOO HOOO --LADY DUCKS WIN IT IN AN UPSET - 4TH IN A ROW
- ABBY D doubles up in 9:01.05
- Mark Coogan Training??
Abbey D'Agostino And Kennedy Kithuka Dominate In Different Ways
The women's 5,000 came down to the final mile between stars Abbey D'Agostino, Betsy Saina and Jordan Hasay - and it was no contest. D'Agostino was clearly best. On the men's side, Kennedy Kithuka put in an early surge and that was all it took despite a game effort by Diego Estrada to keep it honest throughout.
*Friday Photo Gallery Here *Friday Video Highlights From NCAA (1:24) *LRC Friday Interviews
Meanwhile, On The Boards:
- Abbey D Just Crushed a 31:15 Woman
- Elijah Greer Rocking the Long Hair
- BRACY - OUT Change the rule!!!
- Running People in DMR who Made Mile Final
Friday NCAA Indoor Photo Gallery
US Indoor Champs *Results *LRC Saturday Photos *LRC Sunday Photos *LRC Lomong American Record Photos *5k Record Was Friday Night In NY
Day 2: LRC Mary Cain Dominates & Wins Her First US Indoor Title Cain was simply brilliant and
thrashed the field. In
the process, she showed a technical savvy and closing speed way beyond her years.
*Sunday Photo Gallery *Video Of Cain's Win
*LRC Rest Of Mid-D & Distance Action: Will Leer Completes Heart-Warming Double As Erik Sowinski's Dream Season Continues And Teen Phenom Ajee Wilson Joins Cain In Winner's Circle The 2013 USA indoor meet ended up being fantastic from a fan's perspective. With his cancer-stricken father in the stands, Leer found the guts to complete the 3k/mile double as Erik Sowinski just held off Robby Andrews and Wilson led throughout.
*Short On Time? Men's 800 Recap Only
*Women's 800 Recap Only
*Men's Mile Recap Only
*USATF Recap Of Day 2 Ryan Whiting threw a world leader in the shot put (21.80), Mississippi State's D'Angelo Cherry ran the world's 3rd-fastest 60m of the year (6.49 - world leader is 6.48) and 2004 Olympic gold medallist Jeremy Wariner won his first-ever US indoor crown with a 45.82 clocking (#4 in the world).
*AP Recap Of USAs From A Guy Who Clearly Doesn't Cover Track
More 2013 USA Indoor News
Updated: LRC Day 1 Distance: Chelsea Reilly Wins National Title As Lisa Uhl Nearly Impales Herself, Will Leer Dominates
Chelsea Reilly won her first national title in NASCAR fashion as she and Lisa Uhl collided right before the finish with Uhl catapulting herself head first off the track. Fortunately, both women survived without serious injury. Will Leer dominated the men's as expected. Can he pull off the 3k/mile double tomorrow? In the 800, the "names" - Mulder, Andrews, Centro, Sowinski - all advanced except for Mark Wieczorek.
(Video of 3k finish in article or to right on homepage)
Stockholm Meet *Results
LRC Friday Tidbits From Stockholm: Update On Galen Rupp's Record, Plus Dibaba News We've got splits for Galen Rupp's last 600m, plus news that Genzebe Dibaba is
not now coached by Jama Aden, the coach to Taoufik Makhloufi, who has strong USA ties.
On The Boards: Jama Aden Coaching Philosophy
LRC Galen Rupp 7:30.16 American Record! Aregawi Just Misses 1,500m World Record Galen Rupp's tremendous 2013 continued with his finest performance yet. Not only did he get the American record, but perhaps most importantly he got his first European win of note. The other big news was new Swedish citizen, Abeba Aregawi, just missing the world record by .12 in the women's 1,500m. In other action, Genzebe Dibaba blitzed an 8:26.57, Mohammed Aman ran a world leader in the 800m, and Matt Centrowitz came up well short of the American 1,000m record. Flash recap.
*IAAF Recap: Olympic Silver Medallist Yarisley Silva Breaks Her Own Cuban Record And Sets World Lead In PV With 4.71m Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce set a PR in her 2nd-ever 60m to win with 7.04.
*Pre-Race Interview With Rupp
On The Boards: *Rupp 7:30.18!!! *GALEN RUPP NEW 3000 AR 7:30.18 *STOCKHOLM MEET updates! *Galen Rupp Will NOT Break U.S. 3000m Record In Stockholm
World XC Returns On Sunday!!! *Entry Lists
- LRC Kim Conley Talks Prior To The 2013 World Cross-Country Championships Get the lowdown on the woman who has improved by more than a minute in the last 4 years in the 5k.
- LRC Chris Derrick Talks Prior To The 2013 World Cross-Country Championships Get the lowdown on how the guy who some call "the greatest runner never to win an NCAA Championship," who went on to win a US Championship in his very first race as a pro. How has his training changed, what does he think of life as a pro, what are his goals for World XC, and does he sleep in an altitude tent? Derrick tells all in this exclusive LetsRun.com interview.
- RW Q&A With Ben True Ahead Of World XC Talking about racing World XC 2 year ago he said, "You’re in an all-out sprint from the start, and guys are slowly pulling away from you. You expect that the pace will settle at some point, but it never really does. ... you have to be prepared to go hard, and just to suffer the rest of the way."
- IAAF Junior Women's Preview: Kenya’s Faith Chepngetich Kipyegon Will Try To Defend Her Title
- IAAF Junior Men's Preview: Ethiopia's Hagos Gebrhiwet Who Beat Rupp This Indoor Season, Set The World Jr 3k Record (7:32.87) & Won Ethiopian Trials Is Slight FavoriteOther favorites include Kenya's World Junior steeple champ Conseslus Kipruto and Ethiopia's World Jr. 5000 champ Muktar Edris.
- Interview With Kenyan World XC Junior Team Member Moses Mukono Ahead Of World XC He trains under the famous Brother Colm who also coaches David Rudisha.
- DyeStat Does Short Profiles/Recent Highlights For The 12 Men And Women Representing The US At World XC
- Athletics Weekly World XC Preview
More Kenyan News: Two More Kenyan Drug Busts
- Two Kenyan Female Marathoners Get 2 Year Doping Bans Last year's women's Stanchart Nairobi Marathon champ Salome Jerono Biwott and little known Jynocel Basweti Onyancha. We love how the article refers to the banned list as the "doping list of shame".
- We Think He Has This Backwards: Olympic Silver Medalist Abel Kirui Says He Wants To Patrick Makau's WR At The Moscow World Championships This SummerHe wants to use next month's London Marathon to "gauge his speed" and doesn't think the WR can go down then because it will be too "tactical".
- Asbel Kiprop Racing At Friday's Second National Bank Of Kenya/Athletics Kenya Track Meet
- RunBlogRun Writer Thinks Wilson Kipsang Could Eventually Break The 2-Hour Barrier In The Marathon We say no way.
He's Got Our Vote: Ato Boldon Gets Emmy Nomination For Event Analysis
Leyton Orient Soccer Club Chairman Says He Expects To Lose Judicial Review Case Against West Ham In Olympic Stadium Occupancy Dispute "But we will have to move for survival [if West Ham get sole occupancy of the Olympic Stadium]. If I stay, I get crushed."
Previous World XC News
- Kenya Women's XC Champ (And 2012 Falmouth Champ), Margaret Wangare Is Looking For 1st Individual World XC Medal After Two Previous Top-10 Showings
- This Ain't Happening Kenyan Team Leaves For Poland On Wed. Hoping For Repeat Of 2010 Showing In Poland, Where They Won All 4 Individual And Team Races
- Head Coach Of Kenya: "We are prepared to meet the best."
- Kenyan Trials Champ Philemon Rono Is Hoping To Break The Kenyan World XC Jinx Of Kenyan Champs Winners Who Failed To Go On And Win The World Title John Cheruiyot Korir (2001 and 2003), Richard Limo (2002), Eliud Kipchoge (2004 and 2005), Moses Masai (2006), Moses Mosop (2007 and 2009), Gideon Ngatuny (2008), Paul Tanui (2010) and Geoffrey Mutai (2011) all won the Kenyan XC Trials and went on to lose at World XC.
- Having Won 26 Overall Titles In It's 39-Year History At The World XC Championships, Kenya Is Looking To Add One More It might not bode well for them that Head coach Sammy Rono reported, "This is a team that has been in camp longer than any other."
- Ireland's Hopes For An Individual Medal At World XC Champs Rest On European XC Champ Fionnuala Britton
More Kenya News: Arthroscopy Can Now Be Done In Kenya - David Rudisha Attends Facility's Opening
Today's Top Headlines: Ethiopian 10k Trials At Pre, Caster Semenya Engaged?
- Pre Classic 10k Races Selected As Ethiopian Men And Women's World Champs Trials They hosted the Kenyan men's 10k Trials last year, but this year the race will be open to athletes from any nation.
- Semenya Engaged? SA Tabloids Report That Caster Semenya Is Engaged To Fellow Athlete Violet Raseboya Semenya was angry about the article, but at least in this article said nothing to deny it stating, "I really have nothing to say about that article."
- Today In South Africa: Botswana's 800 Olympic Silver Medalist Nijel Amos Racing SA's 400H Ace LJ van Zyl Over 400m SA Olympian Andre Olivier is also in the field, as 7:41 3k runner Elroy Gelant will run both the 1,500 and 3,000.
- Indian Sports Lawyer Says More Action Needs To Be Taken To Stop Widespread Doping In India India has the highest number of athletes (52) on the IAAF banned list. For comparison, Russia has 33 the US has 10 and GB 4.
- Former 1,500 WR Holder Sydney Maree Released From South African Prison Where He Spent 21 Months After Being Charged With Illegally Transferring Money Maree is SA born, but gained American citizenship and set the AR for 5k and was also a seven-time NCAA champion and still holds the recod for the Fifth Avenue Mile at 3:47.
More From Jamaican Boys And Girls Champs
- IAAF Recap
- Calabar Head Boys Coach Talks About How His Team Came Back From 3rd To Win On The Final Day
- Calabar's Jovan Swaby Came In 2nd In The HJ Despite Jumping With A Broken Wrist "I had to learn to bear the pain first of all. I had to learn a new swing as well because this is not my normal swing."
- Stunned Edwin Allen Girls Coach Blames Injuries For Losing By 5 Points To Holmwood Technical High
- With 27 Points Each, Michael O'Hara And Kimone Shaw Were The Overall Individual Points Champions
- IAAF World Youth And World Junior Discus Champ Fedrick Dacres Breaks Meet Shot Put Record
Random International Stuff
- GB's Paralympic 100m Champ Jonnie Peacock Says He Can Replace Oscar P As The "Face Of The Paralympic Movement"
- Friday's Tel Aviv Marathon Cancelled Due To Heat Wave After One Runner Died And 4 Collapsed In A Half Marathon There Last Week The forecast for Friday is 88 degrees (31 degrees Celsius).
- London Wants To Capitalize On Olympic Facilities By Bidding To Host The 2022 Commonwealth Games
- SportAccord's "Director Of Social Responsibility" Ingrid Beutler Says She Thinks It's Too Early For A Female IOC President
LA Marathon *Full Results
- Kenya's Erick Mose Wins LA Marathon In 2:09:44 As Belarus' Aleksandra Duliba Takes The Women's Race In Her Debut Setting A NR With 2:26:08 Deena Kastor was the top American woman in 3rd in 2:32:39, saying she had an upset stomach and a little tightness: "I gave a 100 percent effort on an 80 percent day." *MB: 2:32:39 for Deena
- 2:11 Man Nick Arciniaga Disappointed By His 2:17 7th Place Finish At The LA Marathon He was hoping to be under 2:10, but said, "I don't know why, my legs just weren't there. Some days, it just feels weird and you don't have it."
- LA Times Race Play-By-Play: Aleksandra Duliba Wins LA Marathon $50,000 Gender Bonus Finishing 2:09 Ahead Of The Top Men's Finisher Erick Mose
- The LA Times: "Does Los Angeles have a shot at hosting the 2024 Summer Olympics?" They have the fan base, sporting venues and favorable climate, but still face some obstacles such as cost, familiarity (they've already hosted twice) and any ill feelings left over from the USOC-IOC revenue sharing disagreement.
More Results On The Roads: Kawauchi PRs Again
- Seoul Marathon: Kenya's Franklin Chepkwony Wins In 2:06:59 Over Ethiopia's Leche Shumi Dechase (2:07:12) & Seboka Dibaba Tola (2:07:27) Kenyan Filomena Chepchirchir won the women's race in 2:25:43. Chepkwony won $80,000 for winning the race sub-2:10.
*Yuki Kawauchi Gets 4th At Seoul Marathon With A 1-Second PR Of 2:08:14 He set a new WR for the shortest time ever between sub-2:10 performances, 42 days. What's even crazier is he was disappointed, saying, "I was aiming for 2:07 in this race. It was an incredible waste."
- Lodi Mile In CA: Garrett Heath Wins Lodi Mile In 4:00.5 Over Peter Van Der Westhuizen And Miles Batty (results only) *Race Video
*Geena Gall Wins Lodi Mile In 4:54.6 Over Leah Rosenfeld (results only) *Race Video
- Japan Corporate Half Champs: Fumihiro Maruyama (1:01:15) And Yukiko Akaba (1:08:59) Win Individual Titles At All-Japan Corporate Team Half Marathon Championships Kenya's Johana Maina was 2nd in the men's race in 1:01:28.
*Japan Running News Article japanrunningnews.blogspot.com *Full Results: http://www.enjoy.ne.jp/~chujitsu/51kiroku/kiroku~013~3-17haif-new1.html
- Rome Marathon: Ethiopia's Getachew Negari Terfa (2:07:56) And Kenya's Helena Kirop Loshanyang (2:24:40) Take Rome Marathon Titles
- Barcelona: 47-Year-Old Dies Of Heart Attack After Running In The Barcelona Marathon The men's race was won by Ethiopian Gezahgne Abrera (2:10:17) as Lemelen Berha took the women's title (2:34:39).
- Race Walk: With The IAAF Writing Headlines Like This, Who Needs To Make Fun Of Race Walking: "Chinese Walkers Stroll Off With 2 Victories"
- Zimbabwean Rutendo Nyahora Wins Spar Women's Challenge 10k Road Race In Cape Town, SA
- Japan's Doricah Obare Wins Matsue Ladies Half Marathon In 1:11:11
- Athletics Weekly Recaps English Schools XC Champs
- John Chebii And Muchanetta Gwata Win Old Mutual Om Die Dam 50k Ultra Titles In South Africa
Lolo Jones' Passion For Bobsled: Lolo Jones: "If I won a freakin' medal - if I won any medal - I would not be a bobsledder. Absolutely not. Are you kidding me? No. No!" "I'm so desperate. Desperate. It absolutely doesn't matter (whether she wins in the Winter or Summer Games.)"
RE:RUN San-Diego Is A Cool Event Coming In May That Will Try And Promote The Sport By Combining A Local Road Race With An Elite Track Meet Participants will finish the local 5k/10k and be treated to a short-and-sweet elite track meet only 5 events. A long list of elites competing includes Duane Solomon, Ryan Gregson, David Torrence, Nate Brannen, Mark Wieczorek, AJ Acosta, Geena Gall, Brenda Martinez, Alysia Montano and Brie Felnagle.
World XC Is Next Weekend
- Kenya's World XC Team Will Be Lead By Seniors Who Competed In Poland Back When The Champs Were There In 2010 2010 senior women title holder Emily Chebet leads the team.
- LRC Matt Tegenkamp Missed A Week Of Running And Will Not Be Running 2013 World Cross-Country
Learn From The Pros
LRC Ten Training Tips From Bernard Lagat, Dathan Ritzenhein And Abdi Abdirahman The American men took center stage at the NYC Half on Thursday. You can watch video interviews with the top American men (Lagat here, Ritz here and Abdi here) and we will have more on their race preparations on Friday, but in the meantime we compiled ten training tips from Bernard, Dathan, and Abdi that you can use in your own training.
Random But Newsworthy
- Israeli Soldier Dies After Completing Half Marathon In Tel Aviv In Midst Of Heat Wave - 4 Other Participants In Medically-Induced Comas
- Washington Post Feature On 102-Year-Old Guy Who Started Exercising At Age 98 "I was getting a little lazy at home, and I decided I'd go down to the exercise club," he recalled. They built them tougher in those days. He doesn't say he can't do it until he tries and sees he can't.
- Pikes Peak Marathon And Ascent Will Test For Performance-Enhancing Drugs In 2013 Events
English Are Still Really Upset The Commonwealth Games Standards Are Stiffer Than The Olympics
- LRC 2014 Commonwealth Games A & B Standards For England The "A" standard for the 5k is 13:03 - a time two English men have ever run. And it's not like saving money is an issue as the meet is in Scotland.
- 2010 Commonwealth Heptathlon Champion Says New Standards For English Team Is "elitism gone mad."
- Kelly Sotherton On Men's 5k Quaifying Standard "The men's 5K qualifying standard is ridiculous.I can't understand why some standards are harder than the Olympics."
- Ron Hill Laughs At Standards (Video)
- Commonwealth Selection Standards Cause Furor
- English Athletes Stunned By Commonwealth Games Standards
NY Times: "After The Mile: The Tim Danielson Story"
- Recommended Read: NY Times Piece On The Life And Tragedy Of Tim Danielson, The Second US Prep To Go Sub-4 In The Mile Danielson is currently in jail facing charges from last year for the murder of his ex-wife.
*MB: Tim Danielson-New York Times extensive article *Tragic News: Tim Danielson (Sub-4 Runner in HS) Allegedly Kills Wife/Survives Suicide Attempt
- RR: RW Looks At Drug Testing At Road Races And Finds Many Prize Money Races Don't Have It Because It's Too Expensive Or Because They're Too Naive To Know They Need It After the 2012 Carlsbad Marathon winner was caught using EPO, the vice president of the race management company ridiculously said, "If it happened again, we might look at the possibility [of adding testing], but it's hard to image that people are actually doing it."
- German Journalist Hajo Seppelt Who Broke The Initial Story About Kenyan Doping Speaks At "Tackling Doping in Sport 2013 Anti-Doping Conference" "I am convinced that [Kenyans] have the same problem that a lot of other countries have ... it's not only a Kenyan problem, it is a problem of athletics."
- UK Anti-Doping Chief Exec Backs Use Of Lie Detector Tests To Question Suspected Dopers
Assorted International News
- Reeva Steenkamp's Dad Says He Wants To Meet With Oscar Pistorius Face To Face He says he wants it "for closure."
- Long Profile Piece On AK Head Isaiah Kiplagat, Who Hasn't Announced Officially He Is Running For Re-Election But Almost Certainly Will Be Re-Elected
- Ryan Gregson Happy With His Sydney Classic 1,500 Despite Just Missing The "A" Standard And Losing To Nick Willis He ran 3:35.25 just missing the 3:35.00 "A."
- 80 Tons Of Dead Fish Removed From Rio de Janeiro Lagoon That Will Be Used For Olympic Rowing Events In 2016 Apparently heavy rains washed rotting algae into the lagoon, depleting the oxygen levels and suffocating the fish. *Photos
- Spikes-Mag Q&A With Russia's Olympic 800 Bronze Medalist Ekaterina Poistogova
- Athletics South Africa Feud Will Go To Court As President James Evans Is Challenging His Impeachment
London Takes A Hit
Tirunesh Dibaba Withdraws From 2013 London Marathon With Shin Injury The marathon debut of the greatest women's distance runner in history is going to have to wait 365 days.
Boston Takes A Big Hit
LRC Ryan Hall And
Moses Mosop Both Pull Out Of 2013 Boston Marathon Two
of the biggest names have both pulled out and somehow John Hancock thought it was appropriate to title the press release "John Hancock Financial Announces 2013 Boston Marathon Online Media Guide Is Now Live." Boston has scrambled and added in 2013 Dubai winner Lelisa Desisa.
*RW Q&A With Ryan Hall About Pulling Out Of The Boston Marathon And His Injury Status He says he's back running fine and the injury to his quad wasn't serious, but it was enough to keep him from doing "any substantial running" for a month and he missed too much time to be fit for Boston.
*MB: Ryan Hall pulls out of Boston
*MB:Will Ryan Hall ever commit to and finish another marathon?
4 Interesting Reads
- Downthebackstretch Catches Up With Will Leer After His Albuquerque Double
- Lengthy Track & Field News Interview With Centro
- 3 Months Ago, Diego Estrada Was Injured And Couldn't Break 15:00 For 5k, Now He's Just Run 13:30/7:49 At NCAAs
- In Sickness & In Health
LA Marathon Will Be 60th Of Career For 77-Year-Old Who Runs Thinking Of His MS-Stricken Wife He cares for her full-time when not running. "My life is pretty simple. It's all about taking the next step ... just take the next step."
The Top Training Partners On The Planet
- Mo Farah Says He Misses UK Soccer Games But Enjoys Going Out To Stores Or Restaurants Without People Knowing Who He Is Salazar: "Without Galen Rupp, Mo Farah doesn't win two gold medals. Without Mo Farah, Galen Rupp doesn't win a silver medal ... In distance running right now, there are probably not two partners who are that good anywhere."
- IAAF Galen Rupp Profile: "At some point I would like to know that I'm the best in the world."
2013 NCAAs *NCAA Results *Saturday Photo Gallery *Friday Photo Gallery *Men's DMR Photo Gallery *Women's DMR Photo Gallery *LRC Banquet Photos *Friday Photos *LRC Friday Interviews *LRC Post-Race Video Interviews
LRC M Mile/3k:
What A Double - The Great Lawi Lalang Is Back Lalang, who up until this time last year was viewed as unbeatable at the NCAA level, got his mojo back with some major style points thrown in as he had one of the greatest nights in NCAA history, as he won both the mile (3:54) and 3,000 (7:45) in meet records. The Arkansas Razororbacks won NCAA title #41.
LRC 800s/W Mile: Elijah Greer Outduels Cas Loxsom; Emma Coburn Adds The Mile Title To Her Résumé And Natoya Goule Wins NCAA Title #1 The men's 800 ended up being the mano vs. mano battle between the two American seniors that everyone wanted to see - Greer and PSU's Casimir Loxsom with Greer coming out on top.
AP Recap: Arkansas Gets Its 20th Indoor Title And 1st Under Coach Chris Bucknam It's NCAA title #41 for the program as legend John McDonnell won 40.
*LRC Coach Chris Bucknam And John McDonnell Talk About Bucknam's NCAA Title #1
*Oregonian: Oregon Wins Its 4th Straight Women's Indoor Title
- Oklahoma's Tia Brooks Sets Collegiate Shot Put Record
- Olympic Bronze Medallist Derek Drouin PRs And Wins Sensational Men's HJ Competition He went 7'8.5" to win an event where 7 guys went 7'5" or higher and three 7'6" or higher. *LRC Interview With Drouin Where He Explains Why He Came Back To Indiana
- Geogia Freshman Shaune Miller Wins Great Women's 400 In 50.88
- Coburn Is 1st Mile Champ Ever From Colorado -Male Or Female
- Greer On 800: "I feel so tired it's ridiculous."
- IAAF NCAA Recap: Lalang's 2 Meet records, Tia Brooks' NCAA SP Record, And Arkansas' 4 X 400 NCAA Record (3:03.50) Highlight
Vig Does It Again With Princeton, Michigan Woman Win Coach Jason Vigilante's mid-d magic continued at the NCAA meet this time at his third school - Princeton. The Ivy Leaguers got the NCAA title thanks to a blistering final 200m by Belgian-American Peter Callahan. The Michigan woman passed up on individual success to get the team DMR title.
LRC Miles & 800 Prelims: Emma Coburn Cruises, Favorites Advance In Men's Mile, The #1 Seed Crashes Out In Men's 800, LSU Looks To Go 1-2 In Women's 800
More NCAA Day 1 News:
- Arizona Sr. (And Olympic Silver Medallist) Brigetta Barrett Becomes 1st Woman In NCAA History To Win Three Consecutive Indoor High Jump Titles She came up short on three attempts at the collegiate record.
- Unreal: Florida State's #1 And #2 Ranked 60m Sprinters False Start In Consecutive Heats In Same Lane And Are Booted From Meet Coach Bob Braman called it "the most improbable script."
- Texas A&M's Ameer Webb Defends NCAA Indoor 200m Title, Records World-Leading Time (20.37)
- Georgia Frosh Shaunae Miller Blazes 51.14 In 400 (2013 World #3)
- Down To His Last Vault, Andrew Irwin Stays Alive And Then PRs At 18-8.25 To Defend His PV Title For Host Hogs, Who Lead After Day 1 Arkansas did better than expected in the LJ as well but lost the #1 seed in the 800. But they also lead the multi.
Whom To Believe?
- Oregonian: Ducks Women's Track Team Struggles At NCAA Indoor Championships
- Jesse Squire Projecting Oregon Women To Win After Day 1? (And Arkansas Men)
IAAF Names More 2005 Dopers: 4 Belarusians And 2 Russians
IAAF Reveal 6 More Positive Tests From 2005 Helsinki Retests Shot putter Nazdeya Ostapchuk, who was stripped of her London Olympic gold,
the list of Belarusians
that also includes Ivan Tsikhan and Vadim Devyatovskiy, the gold and silver medallists in the men’s hammer in Helsinki,
and Andrew Mihhnevich, who finished 6th in the shot put final. The two Russians were women's hammer gold medalist Olga Kuzenkova and long jump silver medallist Tatiana Kotova.
2013 New Balance Indoor Grand Prix *NBIGP Results LRC Photo Gallery
LRC Photo Gallery
Men's 3k: LRC Galen Rupp Is Defeated As Hagos Gebrhiwet Sets New World Junior 3,000 Record Of 7:32.87
Women's 2-Mile: LRC Mary Cain Runs 9:38.68 For 2 Miles - The Greatest Distance Performance In US HS Girls History Tirunesh Dibaba was way ahead of the field as she won in 9:13.17.
LRC The Rest Of The 2013 New Balance Indoor Grand Prix - Centro, Lakhouad And Wright Win As Suhr Takes Crack At AR
Rest In Peace Will Steele - aka "The Cancer Guy"
LRC Celebrating The Life Of "The Cancer Guy" Will Steele Will Steele was running 18-minute miles last year. And never has there been a more inspirational runner on LetsRun.com. We pay our respects to this great man who contributed so much to the LetsRun.com community and lost his battle with cancer one month ago on Christmas eve.
LRC Yuki Kawauchi PRs (Again), Ryan Hall Withdraws (Again), Deena Doesn't Break 2:30 (Again) Ryan Hall's Boston DNS isn't all bad, as we try to give you some good training advice from him as a result. We also tell you why hammer throwers are the most entertaining people in the sport and repeat, "Free Jenkins." We also ponder if Deena will ever break 2:30 again and are pleased to see Julia Lucas back competing.
Despite The Cold Conditions 5 National Records Went Down At The NYC Half Last Weekend They were all on the women's side and included the runner-up Diane Nukuri-Johnson’s 1:09:12, which broke her own Burundi NR and 3rd placer/Columbia alum Lisa Stublic whose 1:09:18 broke her own Croatia NR.
10-Year Old Who's Trying To Become The Youngest To Run A Marathon On All 7 Continents Was Deterred By Bad Weather In Antarctica He was 18 miles in when the runners were stopped because of bad weather and forced to leave. He ended up completing the rest of the marathon when he landed back in Chile which according to the rules of the "The Official 7 Continents Marathon Club" still counts.
NYC Photo Gallery (Updated On 3/20)
NYC Half Video Highlights
Common Trend: 4 Russian Swimmers Caught Doping; Russian Swimming Almost Gets A 24-Month Suspension From International Swimming Federation The rules say that "4 positives from one nation within a 12 month period results in the FINA member federation being suspended in its entirety for 24 months." However, Russia got out of it on a loophole. 3 of the 4 were suspended while the 4th, who is only 14 years old, was given a warning.
NCAA Admin News
- Former Texas Head Coach Bev Kearney Files Race And Gender Discrimination Complaints Against The University After She Was Forced To Resign Kearney resigned as Texas prepared to fire her for an inappropriate relationship with one of her athletes in 2002.
- Penn State Suspends Contract With adidas Pending The Severance Payment Of Workers At One Of Its Closed Facilities Overseas They are the 4th to do so, joining Cornell, Rutgers and Oberlin College.
"Brilliant Video Interview" (Those Aren't Our Words): Lagat Making His Half Marathon Debut (More Here)
Ritz At The NYC Half (More Here)
Three Cheers For Abdi Sounding Off On Drug Cheats (Abdi Talks His Training Here)
Abbey D'Agostino: Double NCAA Champion
WWLD (What Would Lance Do?) In Wake Of Embarrassing Number Of Doping Offenses, Russia Offers To Donate An Extra $390,000 A Year To WADA
Interesting Read: Pat Butcher Looks At The History Of Sexism In The World Of Running Over The Years Muslim clerics not wanting women to run now is just the latest in a long line of insults thrown at women in athletics during the last 100+ years.
Week That Was
LRC WTW Forget About Jenn Suhr, Lopez And Mary Cain: The Best Closes In Track History, Meet Brannon Kidder, Erik Sowinski's HS Coach, Praise From Nick Willis, And An Apology To Kara Goucher On a week that saw Lopez Lomong's AR on Friday, Jenn Suhr's world record on Saturday and Mary Cain making history on Sunday, we cover everything else making news in the running world.
Jenn Suhr World Record *Photos
Jenn Suhr Breaks World Record Suhr was perfect all day until she broke the world record at 5.02 meters. She then attempted 3 times at 5.07 (the highest vault indoors or out).
*Video Of World Record Vault
*Reuters: "Gritty Suhr Happy To Finally Reach New Heights"
Jerry's Boys Take On The Big Apple
LRC Lopez Lomong Sets New American Indoor 5,000 Record - Runs 13:07.00!!! We recap the historic night in NYC that saw Lomong get the AR, Chris Derrick get the "A" at 13:12.00 and the rest of Jerry's boys struggle a bit at the end as the pace was super hot. Includes exclusive post-race interviews that include Teg, Lomong, and Derrick, who talks about German Fernandez and Alan Webb.
*Photo Gallery *Race Video *Post-Race Interviews *Race Results Weekly
*Great News From Another Schumacher Stud: Chris Solinsky's 1st Track Race In Nearly Two Years Is Successful - Dominant 8:05 Win At UW