More From The Weekend
- IAAF Recap Of World's Best 10k: Kenya's Sammy Kitwara Won Men's Title For 4th Time (28:43) As Joyce Chepkirui Won The Women's Race In 31:40
- Kazuhiro Maeda, Top Japanese Runner At The Tokyo Marathon For 4th In 2:08:00, Has Lashed Out At Yuki Kawauchi, Telling Him To "Stop Making Fun Of Corporate Runners" Maeda: "I don't know whether I'm going to be on the team, but if I am then I'll be running ahead of him. If I don't beat him he'll just go shooting his mouth off again. I want to leave him with nothing to say."
- Bobby Curtis Wins Sunday's Gasparilla 8k In 23:30 As Tune-Up For The March 9th USA 15K Champs Article includes a picture of him in a Hansons-Brooks singlet.
- USTFCCCA Weekend College Highlights D1 athletes of the week were Arkansas' Makeba Alcide, who ran a world leader in the 400 with 45.23 and anchored his 4 x 4 to the win with a 44.51 split, and Texas A&M's Deon Lendore, who broke the collegiate record in the indoor pentathlon.
- Kenya's Solomon Busiendich Won The Seville Marathon On Sunday In 2:10:14 With Second Place More Than Two Minutes Back Ethiopia's Ehite Bizuayehu won the women's race in 2:29:52.
- Former World Half Marathon Silver Medallist & 2011 Rotterdam Champ Phillis Ongori Wins UNEP Half In Kenya In 1:08:59 Dickson Chumba won the men's race in 1:04:32.
- Daytona 500 Champ Jimmie Johnson Also Finished As The 2nd NASCAR Driver At The Daytona Beach Half Marathon Last Week He ran 1:29:49 (6:51 pace), finishing as the second NASCAR runner to Kasey Kahne, who ran 1:28:44 (6:46 pace).
- Germany's Verena Sailer Won National 60m Champs This Weekend In 7.18 After Just Having Recovered From The Flu
- Only Recently Coming Off 18-Month Injury Layoff, Mary Cullen Wins Woodie's DIY Inter-Club Cross-Country Championships In Ireland She beat Olympian Linda Byrne and will be included on the Irish World XC Champs team.
European Indoor Champs Are This Weekend
- Final Entries Confirmed For This Weekend's European Indoor Championships In Göteborg
- UK PVer Holly Bleasdale Hoping To Win Her First International Championship Medal At European Indoors An interesting note, you might remember her comment last year on Yelena Isinbayeva, where she supposedly called her "a tramp in a doorway," Bleasdale now insists that she never said that and the paper that printed it has retracted it.
- European Champs Men's Sprints & Hurdles Previews Dwain Chambers vs. Italian Michael Tumi in the 60m. Euro leader Brian Gregan is a big hope for Ireland in the 400.
- Fionnuala Britton & Ciaran O'Lionaird Among The 11 Who Will Represent Ireland At Euro Champs
Rock 'N' Roll New Orleans *Top Results *Photo Gallery
Outkicks Gebremariam, Meseret Defar Over Shalane Flanagan, Kara Goucher Way Back Meseret Defar's second half marathon was much like her
first one, a win (1:07:25) over Shalane Flanagan (1:08:31). Mo Farah doesn't lose and he found a way to beat Gebre Gebremariam 1:00:59 to 1:01:00.
*On The Boards: Cool Race Blow by Blow
*Mo Farah's 1:00:59 Is A New British Record This is actually slower than the 60:23 he ran in his debut at NYC, but NYC is not a record-eligible course.
*IAAF Recap Farah said he had a brief side stitch at the ninth mile which might have had to do with drinking too much water.
*Pre-Race Article On Mo Farah
*Farah Says Running The First Half Of The London Marathon Isn't About The Money
NCAA Conference Championships *All Meet Info/Live Results/Viewing Info
- Big 10: Cas Loxsom 1:15.42 American Record* For 600m At Big 10 Meet This was on a 300m track, so it isn't eligible for the record that may not even officially exist. IAAF doesn't recognize the
600m and USATF doesn't have it on its website. Regarless, it's the fastest 600m run indoors by an American and it was done without a rabbit at a conference meet. Pretty cool (and just as we predicted).
*That's A Track Meet: Illinois Runner Falls In 4 X 400, Wisconsin Wins Big 10 Men's Title As 4 Points Separate Top 5 Teams updated
*The Badger Herald: "Botched Relay For Illinois Seals Big Ten Indoor Championship For Wisconsin Men"
*Full Men's Results Japheth Cato scored 6,090 points in the heptathlon to win.
*In Another Close One, Illinois Women Take The Team Title Over Nebraska By 3 Points *Full Women's Results
*IU's Derek Drouin Sets Heptathlon HJ WR With 2.30m (7-6.5) This breaks the recently set mark by Washington's Jeremy Taiwo by two inches.
- SEC: *Full Results *Arkansas Sweeps Men And Women's SEC Titles The women's competition came down to the final event as Arkansas was only 1 point up on LSU going into the 4 x 4, but won, extending their victory to 5 pts.
*IAAF: Four World Leads At SEC Champs Deon Lendore set a Trinidad & Tobago NR with 45.15, Kimberlyn Duncan ran the fastest indoor 200m performance in the world for five years with 22.54 (#6 US all-time), World Junior 100/200 silver winner Aaron Ernest set the 200 WL at 20.53 and Marquis Dendy hit 8.25m in the LJ, which was the best indoor performance by an American for 9 years.
*Meet Site Other results: LSU's Charlene Lipsey won the 800 in 2:02.48 as Florida's Cory McGee won the mile in 4:35.33. Henry Lelei won the 5k in 13:54.33.
- MPSF: Elijah Greer Runs Fastest 800 In The Nation This Year (1:46.73) As Oregon Women Take MPSF Title ASU won the men's title over Oregon. OU's Alexi Pappas won the 3,000 in 9:07.97 over Megan Goethals.
*ASU Men Win Men's Title Over Oregon In 2nd In the mile, 4 went sub-4 with Stanford's Michael Atchoo winning in 3:57.14; Mac Fleet was 7th (4:01.04).
*Atchoo's 3:57.14 Mile Win Was A Stanford And MPSF Record
*Full Results *Meet Home
- Big 12: *Full Results *Texas Men Win Big 12 Title Over Oklahoma In 2nd; Kansas Women Beat Out Texas By Just 2.5 Points Kennedy Kithuka broke the Big 12 MR in the 3k with 7:53.
*Texas Article On Men's Victory
*University Of Oklahoma's Patrick Casey Wins Mile, 1,000 And Anchors Winning DMR Casey is only the second Oklahoma runner to win the conference mile, and the first since 1960, when Gail Hodgson did it.
*Impressive Triple For Betsy Saina - Takes Three Individual Big 12 Titles, Winning The 5,000, 3,000 And Mile
*Erik Kynard Wins Third Straight Big 12 HJ Title With 7-7 (2.31m)
- ACC: Virginia Tech Men Take ACC Title Over No. 12 Ranked Florida State
*Clemson Women Win Third Straight ACC Crown FSU's Amanda Winslow led won the women's 3,000-meter run with a record time of 9:08.13.
*Full Men/Women Results
- Heps (Ivy): *Results *Men's Meet Comes Down To The 4 X 4 With Princeton Winning By .005 But Cornell Taking The Overall Team Title By 1 Point
*Harvard Women Win The Heps For The First Time In 13 Years As Cornell Finishes A Close Second, Losing 117 To 112.66 Abbey D'Agostino dominated a pretty good mile field, winning by 8 seconds in 4:32.42 with 3 others under the old meet record.
*Day 1 Highlight Video *Meet Home *Always Excellent Coverage From HepsTrack.com
More College News - Deadspin Responds: Ex-Coaches & Athletes Respond To Kevin Hadsell's Deadspin Denials & Say He Lied Numerous Times In TV Interview People who have watched or read the Kevin Hadsell denials and say Hadsell lied in the TV interview and claim he was drunk at times around the team, he didn't only have one-on-one meetings with women, he did use the term "muffin top" and he was involved sexually with a current student. *Discuss
Previous Conference Champs Coverage
- ACC *Day 2 Results - VTech Men/Duke Women Lead The FSU women set a new DMR record (10:57.41 #2 in NCAA for 2013). The Maryland men may have been saved from elimination but they have yet to get on the scoreboard.
- Big 10: MB: Maverick Darling FTW - 7:50 as 7 break 8:00 *Day 1 Full Results 4 PSU guys break 1:50. Cas Loxsom runs 1:16.33 in prelims - can he get AR in final? Never mind, it won't count as it's a 300m track. PSU 9:39 DMR. *Meet Home *Live Twitter Coverage
On The Boards: Big Ten Men's 3000: Just a Sit & Kick - NOT!
*Why Is The Big Ten Meet In Geneva, Ohio When There Are No Big Ten Schools In Geneva, Ohio? The quick answer is no one wanted to/could host and the new Spire Institute Facility is in Geneva.
- Big 12: *Day 1 Recap: Texas Men, Kansas Women On Top After Day One Texas Tech's Kennedy Kithuka won easily in the 5k in 13:41. Iowa State's Betsy Saina won the 5,000 (16:07) over teammate Meaghan Nelson. *Day 1 Full Results
Winter Snowstorm Causes Meet To Be Postponed To Sat-Sun Instead Of Fri-Sat
- SEC: Full Day 2 Results Henry Lelei won the 3k in 7:57.57 over Arkansas's Stanley Kebenei (7:58.58). Arkansas men and women both lead going into the final day.
*Florida's Marquis Dendy Sets SEC Record And World Lead In LJ With 27 Feet, 3/4 Inches Apparently his father promised to give him a car if he jumped 27-5. Could that be an NCAA violation? That's a joke.
*AP Recap Of Day 1: Arkansas' Makeba Alcide Sets Collegiate Record In Pentathlon (4,569) *Multi-Results
- MPSF: Megan Goethels 15:58
- HEPS Men Day 1 Report: Harvard Has Slim One-Point Lead Over Cornell Harvard's Nico Weiler set an all-time Ivy record of 17-7 ¾ to win the PV.
*Heps Women Day 1 Report: Cornell Leads With 35 Points Over Harvard (29) And Princeton (26.5) Abbey D'Agostino won the 5,000m with a MR 15:47.02.
- Preview: LRC 2013 ACC, Big 10, Big 12, PAC-12/MPSF, SEC & Heps Men's Conference Preview
Stockholm Meet *Results
LRC Friday Tidbits From Stockholm: Update On Galen Rupp's Record, Plus Dibaba News We've got splits for Galen Rupp's last 600m, plus news that Genzebe Dibaba is
not now coached by Jama Aden, the coach to Taoufik Makhloufi, who has strong USA ties.
On The Boards: Jama Aden Coaching Philosophy
LRC Galen Rupp 7:30.16 American Record! Aregawi Just Misses 1,500m World Record Galen Rupp's tremendous 2013 continued with his finest performance yet. Not only did he get the American record, but perhaps most importantly he got his first European win of note. The other big news was new Swedish citizen, Abeba Aregawi, just missing the world record by .12 in the women's 1,500m. In other action, Genzebe Dibaba blitzed an 8:26.57, Mohammed Aman ran a world leader in the 800m, and Matt Centrowitz came up well short of the American 1,000m record. Flash recap.
*IAAF Recap: Olympic Silver Medallist Yarisley Silva Breaks Her Own Cuban Record And Sets World Lead In PV With 4.71m Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce set a PR in her 2nd-ever 60m to win with 7.04.
*Pre-Race Interview With Rupp
On The Boards: *Rupp 7:30.18!!! *GALEN RUPP NEW 3000 AR 7:30.18 *STOCKHOLM MEET updates! *Galen Rupp Will NOT Break U.S. 3000m Record In Stockholm
US Distance News
- Bernard Lagat's Agent Says He Wants Under 61 Minutes At NYC Half; Mileage Has Gone Up From 65 To Hitting 80 Lagat: "The way I can handle the longer stuff now in training, it feels like I made the right decision. When you think about it, I've been holding back for a long time, so I am basically getting to where I should have been maybe in real life four years ago."
- RR: Being Snubbed By UK European Selection Committee Motivated Chris O'Hare To Set The Collegiate Mile Record At Millrose "That's what makes athletes, their disappointments and their lack of success at some point. That's what drives every athlete to their success."
- Profile On Recent 600m AR Setter, Who Works 30 Hours A Week At A Shoe Store & Only Got Into Millrose After Kevin Borlee Pulled Out At The Last Minute
News From Kenya
- Kenya Gives The US Some Respect: Kenya World XC Team Reports To Training Camp: Mercy Cherono Says She "Relishes The Challenge From Ethiopia AND USA Athletes" Other good news for the US, it seems Kenya is going back to it's potential killing pre-championship training camps as 28 are at the camp, but only 24 make the team. The head coach said, "We will have a serious and tough training. And those who want to escape the axe must prove their mettle."
- Kenyan XC Champ Philemon Rono Excited To Be On His Foirst National team After Only Finishing 19th At The 2011 Trials
- Kenyan XC Team Motivated By Past Success In Bydgoszcz, Poland As They Dominated When The World Champs Were There In 2010 They became the first nation to win all available gold medals – four individual and 4 team titles.
- Foreign Runners Are Shunning Training In Kenya Due To Fears Of Violence During The Election Process As Happened 5 Years Ago
Millrose Games *Results For The 2013 Millrose Games *TV Re-Broadcast Online Here
Records Galore At 2013 Millrose Games: Lagat, Mary Cain, 2 X 600, Chris O'Hare Mary Cain started the record-setting night in the women's mile and it continued all night after that until Chris O'Hare set a collegiate record in 4th place in the Wanamaker Mile. In between, Bernard Lagat barely got back his 2 mile record, unheralded Erik Sowinski upset Duane Solomon AND Nick Symmonds to set the American record in the 600, and Alysia Montano crushed
the field and the AR in the 600.
Daring To Ask The PED Question
A Must Read: Daring To Ask The PED Question: "If everyone is secretly suspicious of so many athletic achievements, why aren't we talking about it?" In our last Week That Was, we said, "There are two types of runners - those that either 'get' letsrun.com or don't." Well, sports writer Bill Simmons might not be talking about running, but he definitely "gets" LRC as he explains why questioning today's professional athletic performances in is not only okay, but has become part of sports. As he says, "There is no such thing as 'the benefit of the doubt' anymore. Not in sports. Too many people took advantage. All the benefits are gone." It is for this reason that we allow threads like this one to exist: MB: Solomon suddenly world class and Rupp soloing 3.50 indoor miles - Come on Letsun, ask the questions!
2013 USA XC *USA XC Results/Splits *MB: Official 2013 USA XC Thread *LRC Photo Gallery
LRC Photo Gallery
LRC Chris Derrick!?! - National Champion! link fixed The wait is over. Arguably the greatest American collegiate distance runner not to win an NCAA title, Derrick pulled away from Dathan Ritzenhein and Matt Tegenkamp to win his first national title in his first race as a sponsored pro. It was a good day for Jerry Schumacher's crew as they had 3 of the top 4 in the men's race plus Shalane Flanagan winning the women's.
LRC Shalane Flanagan Wins 2013 Women's US Cross-Country Championships Flanagan was the class of the field (World XC bronze in 2011), but Olympian Kim Conley put up a brave fight. Afterwards, Flanagan said she will not run World XC as she prepares for the Boston marathon.
Jr. Races: *LRC 2013 Jr. Girls Results - William & Mary's Emily Stites Dominates
*LRC 2013 Jr. Boys Results - Ok. State's Craig Nowak Wins
*USATF Athlete Quotes
A MUST Read - One Of The Greatest Races Ever Run - The US Women's Version Of The Billy Mills 10,000 Win
RWorld Re-Introduces The World To Debbie Heald, Who 40 Years Ago Incredibly Ran The US HS Indoor Mile Record Of 4:38.5 Steve Friedman's piece on Heald is moving to say the least. Heald, whose father had committed suicide,
who had been molested and who was always battling injury (13 different running-related surgeries), somehow
at the US vs. USSR meet at age 16 in 1972 beat the greatest runners in the world, including the indoor 1,500 record holder and that year's eventual Olympic 1,500 champion, by running an a 8.5-second PR of 4:38.5. She came from way back to win thanks to a ferocious kick and she was known for having no kick. Her life since then has been full of struggles with schizophrenia but her HS indoor record still stands.
MB: Debbie Heald article in RW
Breaking News: LRC Jerry Schumacher's Oregon Track Club Guys Will Race A 5,000 This Friday At The Armory Bumby, Derrick, Heath, Jager, Lopez and Teg will all run in New York on Friday and we wonder if Lagat's 13:07 AR could be under assault. *Discuss
Top Weekend HS Action
- Full Brooks PR Recap: Erin Finn Wins 2-Mile In 10:08 As Bernie Montoya Took A Competitive Boys Race In 8:54 One of the highlights was the boys 800, which was won by defending champion Tyler Smith, who led wire-to-wire in a new MR 1:50.88. Smith said, "Nobody likes to lead it. Everyone wants the win, and I thought it was going to be tactical, but it's my last year and I wanted the record but I didn't really know what I was going to do until I got on the track. Once I stepped on the track I decided, 'Screw this, I'm just going to run it by myself. I can do 1:50.'"
- Impressive: Felecia Majors Scores The Most Points Ever In The History Of The Virginia High School State Champs As She Scores 49 Points Over 6 Individual Events She single-handedly won her team the state team title as she helped add another three points by anchoring their 6th-place 4 x 4 with a 56-second split. She also won the pole vault and long jump, was 2nd in the triple jump, 500, and 300, and 4th in the high jump.
- Alberto Salazar Says How Mo Farah's Marathon Debut At The 2014 London Marathon Goes Will Decide What Events He Does At Rio 2016 "He's the best distance runner in the world right now on the track but to go to the marathon at some point, there is no guarantee that he will be the best in the world there."
- IAAF Profile On Mary Cain, Who Says Along With Her Record-Breaking Races, She Got A Lot Of Confidence From The Workout She Did After The Boston 2-Mile Talking about the workout, she said, "Afterward, being able to turn in a really good workout and a solid effort, I closed my last 200 of the workout really fast, I was like, 'Wow! I still have this left.' That really builds confidence."
Irish Times: "Doping Casts Long Shadow Over Sport - Especially Track And Field" Referring to drug busts and Oscar P, the author said, "Athletics has a crap hand right now in terms of public perception, but changing that perception depends fundamentally on how that hand is played."
Study Says Taking Extra Vitamin D & Calcium Supplements Might Not Lower Your Risk Of Getting Fractures "There is inadequate evidence to determine the effect of combined Vitamin D and Calcium supplementation on the incidence of fractures."
Ethiopian XC Champs And Tokyo Marathon *Results *Tokyo Marathon 2013 Photo Gallery
- Ethiopian World XC Trials: World Marathon Bronze Medallist Feyisa Lilesa Wins After Hard-Fought Battle With World Junior 10k Champ Yigrem Demelash Defending World XC champ Imane Merga dropped out in the later stages of the race. Steeplechaser Hiwot Ayalew won the women's race easily over a deep field. 12:47 5k man Hagos Gebrhiwet (who beat Galen Rupp in the Boston 3k) won the junior men's race.
- WMM Make Japanese Debut: Dennis Kimetto Holds Off Sally Kipyego's Brother, Aberu Kebede Wins Women's
is the guy who was runner-up to Geoffrey Mutai at the Berlin Marathon in a very bizarre finish where many speculated that Kimetto lost to Mutai on purpose so Mutai could pick up the
$500,000 WMM bonus. Well, Tokyo is now a WMM major and Kimetto may be wishing he had won in Berlin as he would be the frontrunner to win $500,000 himself after winning on Sunday. *Top Results
*IAAF Recap Kimetto: "The pace maker was little slow for me and I thought of leaving them behind at times, but I decided to stay with the pace." He also said if he doesn't run World Champs, he'll go for the WR in Berlin. *RRW Recap
*2012 Berlin Marathon Finish Photos
Other Weekend Action: Bolt And Blake Race Again
- Gibson Relays In Jamaica: Usain Bolt Splits 45.7 On Racers 4 X 4 As Team Times 3:06.9 He skipped the final, where Yohan Blake anchored the team, but got the baton 10m down and couldn't close the gap and finished 2nd. Another Racers Track Club squad won in 3:03.74 with Blake's team in 3:04.00.
*Racers Lions Club Team Sets 4 X 100 World Lead At 38.50 With Yohan Blake Running The Third Leg
- World's Best 10k: Kenya's Sammy Kitwara Won Men's Title For 4th Time (28:43) As Joyce Chepkirui Won The Women's Race In 31:40
- High School:
Brooks PR Meet: MileSplit Weekend Coverage: Michael Cherry Breaks National HS Indoor Record With 33.19 Sasha Wallace won the Brooks PR 60H with a US #3 all-time mark as Cameron Burrell won the 60m in a US #2 all-time 6.61.
*Full Brooks PR Results
*MB: SEAN MCGORTY LOSES 3200M STATE RACE TO A JUNIOR!
- France's Olympic PV Champ Ups His Own World Lead To 5.94m At The National Indoor Meeting in Metz Kim Collins won the 60m in 6.53 as Bethwel Birgen won the 1,500m in 3:36.66.
- Almond Blossom XC In Portugal: Three Top Kenyans, Including Defending Champ Josphat Kiprono Menjo, Miss Their Flight, Allowing A Portugese Victory Portuguese XC champ Manuel Damião won, becoming the first Portuguese winner since 1995. Defending women's champ Gorreti Chepkoech won easily, beating Portugal's European 10k champ Ana Dulce Felix by 27 seconds.
- IAAF Recap Of German Indoor Champs: Olympic Silver Medallist Björn Otto Was Challenged But Won The PV In 5.85m, Making A Good Attempt At 6.01m Carsten Schlangen won the 3k unchallenged in 7:55 and Christina Schwanitz set the World lead in the shot.
- After A Runner-Up And Close 4th Place Finish The Last Two Years, Kenya's Julius Maisei Wins Hong Kong Marathon In 2:14:18 Misiker Mekonnin Demissie defended her women's title in 2.30.49.
- Turkey's Ilham Tanui Ozbilen Wins Balkan Indoor Championships 1,500 With 3:37.49
- Aussie Collis Birmingham Wins Graeme Briggs Classic 5,000 For 6th Time In Seven Years With A 13:27
- Kenya's Charles Ndirangu And Japanese Olympian Hitomi Niiya Take Titles At Fukuoka Cross-Country Meet Ndirangu also won the Chiba International XC meet two weeks ago. The race serves as Japanese selection for World XC.
*Japan Running News Recap
- At 101 Years Old, World's Oldest Marathoner Fauja Singh Finishes His Last Race At Hong Kong Marathon 10k He ran 1:32:28.
- NFL: adidas Offering Shoe Contract To Fastest Player At NFL Combine
- Inaugural Central Park Marathon With 1,500 Participants Is This Weekend Follows the course of the original NYC Marathon doing loops of Central Park.
- BBC Publishes Documents That Indicated They Were Thinking Of Doing A Program On Him Leading Up To London 2012 But Were Worried He Could Fail Drug Test We think this is the Telegraph making a big ado over nothing.
- Daily Nation: "Kenya’s Squeaky Clean Image is Under Scrutiny as Cheats Pop Up" In addition to the 3 recently banned athletes, apparently there is another unnamed runner who is in trouble for taking a "booster" meant for people seeking help getting pregnant, which he says was prescribed to him for an injury.
- Q&A With Athletics Ireland's Chief Executive John Foley On The State Of Ireland Track And Field And Some Of Their Controversial Policies
Dathan Ritzenhein Blogs About Why He Decided On The Chicago Marathon So Early And How He Will Structure His Year With That In Mind He gives some good coaching advice, saying, "I think for the majority of the season you should never be too far away from racing any one distance."
Two Big Doping Developments
LRC Analysis: The World Marathon Majors Introduce Tougher Anti-Doping Penalties - What Does It Mean? In our minds, the move is a nice symbolic step, but now it's key that the Shoe Companies Need To Follow Suit ASAP.
*Paula Radcliffe Praises New London Marathon Doping Penalties
*AP Article On Increased Anti-Doping Penalties *Athletics Weekly: World Marathon Majors Gets Tougher On Doping Cheats
NY Times: Government Joins Floyd Landis' Federal Whistleblower Suit Against Armstrong link fixed "In today's economic climate, the U.S. Postal Service is simply not in a position to allow Lance Armstrong or any of the other defendants to walk away with the tens of millions of dollars they illegitimately procured." - Ronald C. Machen Jr., US attorney for the District of Columbia.
*Unreal: Lance's Lawyers Respond - We Don't Care That We Defrauded The Public - It Actually Helped The USPS The sponsorship contract expressly prohibited the use of performance-enhancing drugs and was worth about $31 million, but the lawyers are trying to claim that yes, he doped but it generated $100 million worth of publicity.
*WADA Supports The Decision
Women In The News
- Dave Bedford Defends Mo Running 1st Half Of London 2013 And Explains It To Paula Racliffe As Follows: "I don't want to infuriate Paula, but what I would say is that when she ran her first marathon she wasn't the Olympic double gold medallist."
- Telegraph: Women Are Rightly Furious That Oscar's Freed On Bail
- Mary Cain Enters 800 And Mile At US Champs - Could She Win At Age 16?
- Well Said: Morgan Uceny: "Training in Kenya just makes you realize that you don't need to have extraordinary means to be a good athlete."
- Mo Farah Tweets That His Wife Got Sick And Then He Failed As A Father As He Fell Asleep On The Sofa And Failed To Feed The Kids Dinner Thankfully a nanny came in the next day to take him off the hook.
Three Kenyans, Including 2:05 Marathoner Erupe Loyana, Get Drug SuspensionsWell, at least the people who say Kenyans wouldn't use drugs can now be quiet. Every country, including America, has people who would dope.
We're still waiting for a big name to fall (not sure what Wejo was thinking - 58:46 half marathoner M. Kisorio was busted
*Discuss: Three Kenyans Busted For Doping
Oscar P Updates From Thursday: Nike Cuts Ties
- Friday: Oscar Granted Bail - Is A Free Man Until June There is no doubt that Oscar killed his girlfriend by shooting her in the toilet. The only doubt is how intentionally did he do it. The prosecutors bumbled much of the evidence at the bail hearing and still do not even have phone records from the evening, but there is now a new lead detective on the case.
- Thursday Court Case As It Happened No major new developments. The decision on whether or not to grant him bail should be made today.
- Nike Severs Payment And Suspends Its Endorsement Contract A company statement said: "We believe Oscar Pistorius should be afforded due process and we will continue to monitor the situation closely."
- Lead Investigator In Pistorius Case Dropped After It Was Revealed That He Faces Seven Charges Of Attempted Murder From 2011 The charges had actually been previously dropped, but were reinstated 10 days before Steenkamp's death.
- "Herbal Remedy" Found In Pistorius' Bedroom Might Be Sexual Performance Enhancer
- If You Haven't Been Keeping Up, Here Are USA Today's " 10 Most Shocking Facts Of Pistorius' Murder Case" Adding to police "blunders," police didn't take pictures of a box of bullets but managed to snap photos of Pistorius' medals.
- SA Law Experts Expect Pistorius To Be Released On Bail "You can't come to court and oppose bail for somebody when you yourself are also facing serious charges." Also some interesting comparisons to the OJ Simpson trial.
Other Upcoming Races
- Usain Bolt To Run 150m Race On Brazil's Copacabana Beach Next Month It will be a "street meet" type race on a track built on the beach.
- Nagoya Women's Marathon Announces Elite Field Japan NR holder Mizuki Noguchi and Georgina Rono (2:21:39) top the list.
- Olympic LJ Champ Greg Rutherford And Silver Medalist Mitchell Watt Will Go Head-To-Head At Two Aussie Meets In March And April
- The Chennai Government Is Refusing To Host July's The Asian Athletics Championships In Protest Against Sri Lanka's Alleged War Crimes
Road Racing News
- Article On Why Race Start Times Keep Getting Earlier And How That Affects Performance Times have gotten earlier to go along with local governments not wanting roads closed forever. Unfortunately studies show you run faster in the afternoon, but you can help this by doing hard workouts in the mornings the same time you plan to race.
- Chicago Marathon Announces Registration Will Stay Suspended Rest Of The Week
Bolt/Blake/Powell Opened Up On Saturday *Results
- Usain Bolt Wins His Section In 46.71 Yohan Blake (46.64) 2nd to Warren Weir (46.23) in SEPARATE section. *Video Of Bolt's Heat
- Bolt: "I felt a bit nervous. I just came out here to win and I'm glad I won injury free." Blake said, "I'm happy with the run, despite the time. I'm just looking forward to the rest of the season."
*Warren Weir: "Speed endurance for me is one of the main things because you can be very fast in the 200m, but if you don't have speed endurance, you won't do well ..."
- Milo Western Relays: Asafa Powell And Nesta Carter Lead Their MVP 4 X 1 Team To Victory With 38.06 Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce led the MVP women's 4 x 1 team to a win with 44.03.
*Interesting Article On What Asafa Powell Is Up To Outside Of Track And What He Wants To Do When He Retires He collects expensive cars, invests in real estate, has started an online shopping company and has his own clothing line called "Sub-10 King."
2013 New Balance Indoor Grand Prix *NBIGP Results LRC Photo Gallery
LRC Photo Gallery
Men's 3k: LRC Galen Rupp Is Defeated As Hagos Gebrhiwet Sets New World Junior 3,000 Record Of 7:32.87
Women's 2-Mile: LRC Mary Cain Runs 9:38.68 For 2 Miles - The Greatest Distance Performance In US HS Girls History Tirunesh Dibaba was way ahead of the field as she won in 9:13.17.
LRC The Rest Of The 2013 New Balance Indoor Grand Prix - Centro, Lakhouad And Wright Win As Suhr Takes Crack At AR
Run, Recover, Run More
LRC Runners Recover Better And Hopefully Stay Injury Free With These Two Products From The 2012 Running Event Wejo talks about some of the injury prevention products he saw at the The Running Event, which include better methods for massage, icing, and compression.
The Running Event Is In The Books *Photos
LRC The 2012 Running Event Is In The Books: Five Takeaways On The Industry Shark Tank's Daymond John Speaks The trade show for specialty running shops was last week in Austin, Texas and LRC's Wejo was there plus Ryan Hall,
Meb Keflezighi, and most of Saucony's top athletes. The running industry should be renamed the "how to not get injured" industry. Some take-aways from the convention.
*Press Release: The Running Event 2012 Attracts 2,100 To Austin
Rest In Peace Will Steele - aka "The Cancer Guy"
LRC Celebrating The Life Of "The Cancer Guy" Will Steele Will Steele was running 18 minute miles last year. And never has there been a more inspirational runner on LetsRun.com. We pay our respects to this great man who contributed so much to the LetsRun.com community and lost his battle with cancer one month ago on Christmas eve.
Latest Oscar P News
- Oscar Pistirous Has First Mandatory Meeting With South African Authorities As Part Of His Strict Bail Conditions He met correctional officers at a secret location, which disappointed the tons of media hounds who had stood waiting at the police station hoping to see him.
- SA Official Says That Oscar P Wants To Resume Training While Out On Bail However, a spokeswoman for Pistorius denied that he was making immediate plans to return to the track.
- Video: Conflicting Accounts Of Pistorius Murder Case
- Pistorius The "Mystery": NZ Journalist Joins The Many Who Try To Compare The Oscar On Trial With The "Nice Guy" They Had Met And Interviewed Many Times "Pistorius' narrative is partly an exploration of how hard it is to truly know someone who lives so much in the public eye."
Updated!: Rock 'N' Roll New Orleans Photo Gallery
- Police Deny Reports Saying That Pistorius Crushed Reeva's Skull With Cricket Bat Also, the father of Reeva's best friend has come forward saying he told Pistorius to "back off from Reeva" because he was coming on too strong in the early days of the relationship. He described Oscar as "impatient and very moody."
- Pistorius' Brother Is Facing His Own Manslaughter Trial Over The Death Of A Female Motorcyclist From A 2010 Traffic Accident His trial is in March, 3 months before Pistorius'.
- Prosecutor Spokesman: "We still believe we have the evidence to convict Oscar Pistorius, but I cannot give details regarding what it is."
- It Starts Already: BBC Doing Special Documentary On Oscar Pistorius Case They trial doesn't even start until June.
- Original Daily Mail Article: Oscar Pistorius Did Crush Reeva's Skull With A Cricket Bat That is what the Daily Mail reported, but now the Telegraph says cops deny this.
- Audio Of Judge Making Announcement Granting Oscar Pistorius Bail
- Reeva's Family Speaks Out; Her Father Says Pistorius "Will have to live with his conscience if he allows his legal team to lie for him." He also said, "But if he is telling the truth, then perhaps I can forgive him one day."
- Pistorius' Brother's Twitter Account Hacked To Send Out Fake Tweet
Our Weekly Recap
TWTW The 2013 Millrose Games, The 2013 London Marathon And Can The USA Win World Cross-Country? This week, we praise Mary Cain for her great tactics, give props to the amazing collegiate milers, including the unheralded Ryan Hill, talk about Bumbalough over Jager (again), tell you that Centro does get tired, wonder if it’s time to panic for Robby Andrews, and tell you that the performance of the weekend came from Alyisa Montaño. We then start to salivate as to how incredible the 2013 Virgin London Marathon is going to be and ask the unthinkable - can the US beat Kenya at World Cross-Country? Plus will Marta Dominguez ever be busted for being a doper? And google kills off Mary Cain.
Usain Bolt Does The Harlem Shake
Ryan Hall Speaks
LRC Ryan Hall Talks About Cam Levins' 190-Mile Weeks And Is Impressed Hall: "It's working for him. My hat's off to him. He inspires me. That's why I started following him on Twitter. I feel like I'm training hard and I'm not doing nearly that kind of training."
LRC Ryan Hall Talks About His Running Shoes Hall says he has different shoes for every speed he runs and that he has an "unhealthy attachment" to the Asics Gel Hyper Speed.