2012-13 IAAF XC Series Gets Under Way As Imane Merga Holds Off Kenya's 4th Placers For Narrow Win The runner-up was Kenya's 5k 4th finisher, Vincent Chepkok, and 10k 4th placer (and 2012 WL) Emmanuel Bett was third. London 5th placer in the steeple, Ayalew Hiwot, destroyed Linet Masai to win the women's crown.
Richmond Marathon, Half & 8k + Athens, Beirut & Istanbul Marathons *Richmond Photos
Neely Spence Runs With Dad Steve For 3 Miles Then Smashes 8k Course Record With 25:22 Win Steve ran 25:45. Ethiopians won the half marathons. Mengstu Nebsi set a CR at 1:03:21 as Hirut Beyen ran 1:15.14. *Discuss
Kenya's Kipkoech Ruto Wins Richmond Marathon In 2:15 As American Christo Landry Debuts In 2:17 After Pushing Pace Early Hoping For 2:12
Aziza Aliyu Of Ethiopia - Who Was Going To Run In New York - Blows Away Women's Field In 2:40:21 A pretty easy run for Aliyu, who has a 2:36 PR.
Pre-Race: Richmond Marathon Acquires A New York Accent Not too much of one as the first place prize was only $2,500.
Istanbul: Stephan Chebogut Wins Istanbul Marathon By 5 + Minutes In 2:11:05
Athens: Marathon Record Is Now 2:11:35 Thanks To Raymond Bett That's a long way from the 2:58:50 that won the 1896 Olympics. The women's race was won in 2:40:00.
Beirut: 33,000 Run As Ethiopia's Kedir Fekadu Wins In 2:12:57 Saeda Kedir won the women's race in 2:35:08 as American Mary Akor was third in 2:37:32.
Other Marathon News: Great News: Philly Takes 1,360 NY Would-Be Marathoners - Says They'll Donate $100 Hurricane Sandy Relief
*Ridiculous: New York Marathon Giving Out Finisher Medals Even Though No One Finished The Race
Kenyan XC Meet
- She's Back 2010 World XC Champ Emily Chebet Wins 2nd Straight Kenyan XC Meet As 5th Placer From Kenyan Trials, 10,000 Geoffrey Kirui, Dominates Men's Kirui won by 13 seconds.
- Kenyan Recap Of XC Meet Boston runner-up Jemimah Chelagat was 2nd.
- More Kenya-Related News: P. Makau And R. Mota Honoured With Awards At A Gala Dinner On The Occasion Of The 30th Anniversary Of Both The Association Of International Marathons
Pre-Race: LRC John Kellogg's Projected Team And Individual Qualifiers Thanks to message board poster "devils advocate," we were able to tell you what teams and individuals would get in if JK's
picks hold up.
LRC NCAA XC Regional And National Polls: The Numbers Are In Nate Silver is still crunching his numbers for NCAAs, but the LRC polls are in. We've got the national and regional top 10 before regional action. John Kellogg's Pre-Regional Projected 2012 NCAA Cross-Country Team and Individual Qualifiers
LRC John Kellogg's 2012 Individual NCAA Cross Country Formchart - The Top 10 Individuals Who has in the inside track on being the King and Queen of collegiate running? Will an American man crack the top 10? Could a true frosh American woman win it all? What about Jordan Hasay?
LRC John Kellogg's Amazing Regional Previews LRC stats/prediction/coaching guru John Kellogg, the one man on the planet who saw the possibility of the 2:03:02 coming before Boston 2011, tells you what he sees coming on Friday at the NCAA Cross-Country Regionals.
*Northeast Region *Mid-Atlantic *Southeast *South *South Central *Great Lakes *Midwest *Mountain *West
*RunningTimes Looks At The "At Large Bid" Process For Making It Into NCAAs Dartmouth coach Barry Harwick: "It's a really fair system, without any backroom politicking."
*Good Oregonian Profile On Oregon's Top Runner This Year, Alexi Pappas, Who Came In As A Grad Student After Finishing At Dartmouth Last Year Pappas: "Our team is dangerous. With the work we've put in, if we come with confidence there is no telling how great we can be."
- David Rudisha: WR Holder And Now Movie Star In The Movie "The First" Movie on his WR setting win at London 2012. *Trailer
- Ethiopians Abay Girma And Argachew Tadesse Lead Field For Kass Marathon Next Sunday In Kenya There's a $5,000 bonus for the first foreigner across the line.
- Kenyan XC Today: 2010 World XC Champ Emily Chebet Headlines Field In 2nd Of 7 Meet Series Peter Matelong (Richard Matelong's younger brother), Hosea Macharinyang and Isaac Korir lead men's field.
*World XC News: IAAF Members Conclude Their Visit To Bydgoszcz, Poland To Inspect The Site Of The 2013 World Cross-Country Championships On March 24th Everything seems to be in order.
- Anna Pierce Going With Morgan Uceny & Terrencce Mahon To England Uceny, Pierece, and Jen Rhines (Mahon's wife) will all continue to train together in the UK.
- Recommended Read: Amy Yoder Begley Talks About What She Thinks Needs To Be Done To "Create Stability In Track And Field Contracts" And The Problem With US Track Funding She explained how contract reduction clauses can have a negative impact on the athlete and sponsor and said there should be a move towards "contracts that offer a base salary that can NOT be changed or reduced during the entire length of the contract."
- Cody Moat And Cornell Alum Kerri Lyons Win US Trail Marathon Champs 2:14 marathoner Ryan Bak was 5th.
*Moat Named USATF Athlete Of The Week
- RW Q&A WIth US Marathoner Kim Jones Who Recently Put Out Her Intense And Sometimes "Horrific" Autobiography Jones is #7 all-time in the US (2:26:40) and was second twice in the Boston and NYC marathons and once in Berlin.
- This Weekend's Richmond Marathon Gets Huge Registration Spike As Would-Be NYC Marathoners Find An Alternative 300 registered the day NYC was cancelled and another 400 over the weekend.
- American Wheelchair Racer Ryan Chalmers Pushing Across The US From Los Angeles To NYC To Raise Awareness For The Paralympic Movement
- Pre-Nationals DII Cross-Country Rankings
*DII Regional Award Winners
- There Are Three Nike HS Cross Regionals This Weekend
Mammoth Track Club News Many May Have Missed During Hurricane/NYCM
Meb Keflezighi Leaving Mammoth Track Club He'll be making a move to San Diego soon and may start his own community running group there. He'll do a spring marathon, but not hasn't announced which and said, "I have three marathons left in my potential career."
Morgan Uceny Will Follow Terrence Mahon To The UK Uceny: "In case you haven't heard the BIG news, I'm moving to England at the end of the month! My coach is the new UKA middle distance coach and I wasn't about to give up on someone who has taken me as far as I've come. Cheerio!" No official word on Anna Pierce other than Mahon will still coach her.
Post-2012 NYCM News: Wilson Kipsang To Honolulu *Photos From The Unofficial NYC Marathon
- LRC Native Staten Island Olympic Trials Marathoner Says Anger Over And Cancellation Of Marathon Does Nothing Mike Cassidy is Staten Island's fastest man and he says the ING NYC marathon should have gone on. A good read.
- Wilson Kipsang Will Run Honolulu Marathon On December 9th 2011 LA Marathon champ Jon Cross (debut, 2:06:35) and Dubai third-placer (2:04:54) Markos Geneti will also join field.
- Marathon Success Continues To Elude Simon Bairu As His First Two Attempts Went Horrible And His Third Was A No Go With NYC's Cancellation Now he wants to run a marathon in December instead. Probably either CIM or Fukuoka.
- Philadelphia Marathon Is Opening 3,000 Registration Lottery Slots For NYC Marathoners The race is November 18 and entry is $200.
- NY Times: Hostility Lingers Over Marathon Cancellation With Some Calling For Mary Wittenberg's Resignation We completely disagree. If people should be angry with anyone it's the mayor and more so the twitter haters.
- List Of The Many Questions Still Unanswered By The NYRR In Wake Of The Marathon's Cancellation The top concerns seem to be over entry into next year's race.
The IAAF Names Their Athlete Of The Year Finalists
- Usain Bolt, David Rudisha And Aries Merritt Are Finalists For IAAF Male Athlete Of The Year Award The winner will be announced on November 24th.
- British Press React: "Mo Farah Snubbed For IAAF Athlete Of The Year Award" Farah was definitely first man out of this list. He did lose to two athletes who broke the WR this year and Bolt, who defended 3 Olympic titles.
- Female Finalists Are Allyson Felix, Jessica Ennis And Valerie Adams
- Caster Semenya Nominated For Gsport Awards Athlete Of The Year
- Reigning World XC Champ Imane Merga Headlining The Start Of The IAAF XC Permit Season On Sunday In Atapuerca He'll be up against Dejen Gebremeskel and Vincent Chepkok. 3-Time World XC silver medalist Linet Masai headlines women's field against Priscah Jepleting, Mercy Cherono and Ireland's European Champ Fiounnala Britton.
- Olympic Champ Stephen Kiprotich Returns To His Camp In Eldoret For Training No word on what his next race will be, but his manager said he would be doing a spring race before the World Championships.
- Article On The Upcoming Kass Marathon In Eldoret, Kenya, Where Geoffrey Mutai Was First Discovered When He Won The Inaugural Race The course has been certified by the IAAF and Race director and two-time Boston winner Moses Tanui has called on IAAF to come up with a "world best classification for high altitude courses."
- French TJer Teddy Tamgho Coming Back From Fractured Ankle And Expects To Compete During This Indoor Season
James Kwambai Is Back!!! The 2:04:27 Man Defended His Title At The Seoul Marathon Winning By Almost 5 Minutes In New Course Record 2:05:50 Kenyans went 1-2-3.
Shadrack Kemboi Wins Soweto Marathon In CR 2:16:28 Mamorallo Tjoka won her 7th title in the women's race with a 2:45:20.
Regina George, Arkansas' 13-Time All-American, Five-Time SEC Champion And Olympian, Arrested For Being Drunk
Milt Campbell, 1st Black Olympic Decathlon Winner From 1956, Dies
News From Australia: Aussie Collis Birmingham Wins Asics 5km Bolt Race In 13:56 Ryan Gregson was 3rd in 14:24.
Australian Olympian Olympian Ben St. Lawrence Wins "Rebel Sport Run4Fun" 10k In 29:37
News From Japan: Komazawa University Runs Course Record To Win Japan's National University Men's Ekiden Championships
Fukuoka Prefecture Team Dominates Japan's 8-Day, 50-State 732.3k Grand Tour Kyushu Ekiden A highlight was Olympic marathon 6th placer Kentaro Nakamoto winning his 17.9k stage in a CR 52:47 (4:44 pace).
We Think It's Way Better Than Going To Victor Conte
Jamaican Doctor Living In The UK Says He Can Make Usain Bolt Run Faster By Using An Ancient Form Of Chinese Medicine Called Tunia Therapy It's an intense form of massage he uses with UK sprinter Perry Shakes-Drayton and he claims almost all of her PRs come after sessions with him.
NYCM Cancellation's Financial Aftermath
- We Disagree: UK Runners Want Their Entry Fees Back It may seem unfair, but apparently it is standard practive for races not to offer refunds when natural disaster strikes.
- MB: LRC It's Simple - The Non Profit NYRR Simply Doesn't Have $12 Million + To Give Back
- NY Times Tries To Guess The Enormous Cost That Canceling Marathon Will Have On The Not-For-Profit NYRR Will the NYRR have to give money back to sponsors? Will they be able to make the runners whole on their expected appearance fees? The race has insurance for a reason.
- NY Times - Pros Won't Get Prize Money - Will They Get Paid Appearance Fees? We love the class of Wilson Kipsang: "This is terrible, but it's part of life. I'm not angry. People suffered misfortune."
- MB: Mary Wittenberg Says The NYRR Needs About A Week To Figure Out How Much Of Its Appearance Fees It Can Honor We know some are outraged that the pros would get paid, but in our minds they deserve their full appearance fees in an ideal world, as they trained 1/2 to 1/3rd of the year for this race and only get a few paydays all year.
- We Disagree: WMM Declares Mary Keitany Its 2012 Champ We think the money should have been split between Keitany, Kiplagat and Cherop, as Keitany's agent (also Cherop's agent) supposedly suggested since all 3 were in the hunt.
More Sensationalism From The NY Post
More On NYC Cancelation
- Non-Mob Mentality: Sports Illustrated Headline: "New York divided over decision to cancel marathon in wake of Sandy" A more nuanced read from friend of LRC David Epstein.
- AP: Mayor Reverses Course, Cancels Marathon
- NYTimes: "Opposition became nearly unanimous" Simply not true. The people who wanted the marathon to go on were way less vocal and many people were indifferent.
- Runners Express Shock, Anger And Relief After Months Of Training New York Times
- NYTimes: Wittenberg's Actions Met Head-On By Critics
- NY Post Article That May Have Led To Cancelation Of Marathon Muckraking at its worst. Photo of NY Post cover blasting marathon Friday here.
The Cover That Ended It All
LRC Meb Keflezighi Leads The American Hopes At The 2012 ING New York City Marathon A strong American field is led by America's top marathoner, Meb Keflezighi. Meb says his preparations
for New York have gone better
than his other two marathons this year (Olympic Trials victory and 4th at the Olympics), but things have been far from perfect. What does that mean for Sunday?
LRC A Look At The Ten American Men's Contenders Not Named Meb Remember when Ritz got over a hundred grand to make his New York debut? There's a guy with PRs very similar to Ritz making his debut this year at New York and it has only made a ripple. An unsponsored American got 4th at Boston this year. Plus, Abdi Abdirahman.
- Profile Of Brett Gotcher, Who's Made A Big Change Ahead Of NYC By Moving From Altitude In Flagstaff Back Home To Santa Cruz, California He has done his last month before NYC doing marathon paced workouts at sea level.
- Amy Hastings Has Been Looking Forward To Doing NYC Since She Was In College "For the track, it really is every four years when its important. But for the marathon it's different. ... you also have these Majors that are huge every year. It's really cool to be a marathoner because you get this excitement with every race."
- American Athletes Voice Their Support For NYC And The Decision To Still Hold The Marathon Quotes from Jason Hartmann, Amy Hastings and Julie Culley.
- The Trailer Podcast: Interview With Lauren Fleshman, Who Shares Her Predictions For NYC
- Past NYC Champions Alberto Salazar, Nina Kuscsik And Miki Gorman Inducted Into NYRR Hall Of Fame
NYC And Hurricane Sandy
- Mayor Bloomberg Says NYC Marathon Won't Divert Resources From Relief Effort He expects electricity to be restored to all of Manhattan by race day, freeing up "up an enormous number of police."
- Columnist Echoes Bloomberg: "This city is a city where we have to go on." "Ultimately, it comes down to a matter of trust. For most of us, there's no simple way to measure either the sanity or the success of going ahead with the race, other than to be able to say at the end that you finished. But the only way that happens is if you start."
- There Will Be Logistical Changes, But The Course Will Stay The Same Julie Culley joked "If they want to cut all the tangents, I'm fine with that."
Previous NYC News
- NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg Says The Marathon Will Go On As Scheduled "The bottom line is, some people said you shouldn't run the marathon. There are an awful lot of small businesses that depend on these people. We have to have an economy."
- LRC Mary Wittenberg Upbeat That The 2012 ING New York City Marathon Will Be Held
- USA Today Article With Reactions (Both Positive And Negative) To Mayor Bloomberg's Decision To Not Cancel The NYC Marathon Includes quotes from Meb Keflezighi and Molly Pritz. Meb said, "Hopefully we can be the sunshine of what's going on with the storm."
- NY Times: Marathon Is Set to Go On, Stirring Debate Staten Island borough president James Molinaro: "My God. What we have here is terrible, a disaster. If they want to race, let them race with themselves. This is no time for a parade."
- Sad, But Recommended Read: Father Running NYC Marathon To Honor His 7-Year-Old Daughter Who Died From Cancer She passed in June, 4 days after giving him an entry into the 2012 race as a birthday present.
- USA Today Columnist Says Mayor Bloomberg Is Making A Big Mistake Not Canceling The Marathon
- Historic Van Cortlandt Park XC Course Hit Hard By Hurricane Sandy Includes pictures of many trees down over the course that is supposed to host the Foot Locker Northeast Regional meet on November 24th.
- Hurricane Sandy Strands Transcontinental Runner Chris Nicholas In New York City He is attempting to be the first person to run across the country twice in a year.
Previous NYC Marathon News
- Kim Smith Looking To Improve On Her 5th Place NYC Finish From 2010 & 2011
- This Isn't' Even Counting The Dopers: Dozens Expected To Try To Cheat On Sunday An average of 30 to 40 runners are disqualified each year.
- Saturday: NY Times Article Reveals That Alberto Salazar Thinks The Problem With Mary Cain's Form Is Her Arm Motion And Wants Her To Increase Upper Body Strength Salazar: "There is no wasted motion in her legs. All we have to do is get her stronger from the belly button up." Her first race under him is Saturday's Dash to the Finish Line 5k.
- Mary Wittenberg Says NYC Marathon Will Go On Despite Storm "We will keep all options open with regard to making any accommodations and adjustments necessary to race day and race weekend events."
- NYRR Board Member: "There will be a marathon. I don't know how many thousands of people will run it, but I will say with confidence that 47,000 people will not be that number." This NY Times article paints the best picture of the damage and logistical problems NYRR faces in putting on the marathon.
- Mayor Says Subway Might Not Be Running Again For 4 Or 5 Days
- New York Post Claims Marathon Could Be Pushed Back From Sunday
- USA Today: Despite The Closure Of Airports, Subways, And Central Park NYC Marathon Will Go On
- Julie Culley Distracted Ahead Of Her Marathon Debut As She Knows Many Affected By Storm "I feel guilty for not making more of my day. I went on a run today, and my heart felt so heavy, it was almost like I spaced out and woke up a couple of miles later."
- OTB: Looks like NYC Marathon (not) cancelled *NYC marathon and hurricane *If they have the marathon this weekend it is going to be a BIG MISTAKE.
2012 BMW Frankfurt Marathon Is In The Books *Top 30 Results *Official MB Thread *Tracker/Leaderboard
LRC WR Holder Patrick Makau Battles Back To
Win As Meselech Melkamu
Debuts With Win On Women's Side The weather was near-freezing so the WR attempt was out at the start but Makau showed he's a champion by battling back after getting dropped several times, including before halfway. The 2nd-fastest woman in history at 10,000 had a very successful marathon debut to win the women's title.
*Pat Butcher's Frankfurt Recap Makau: "My legs weren't working today. They just weren't reacting. But I found the strength in the end."
On Eve Of WR Attempt, World Record Holder Patrick Makau Rips Report That Sort Of Linked Him To PEDs *Discuss
*Reavis: Is Doping Widespread In Kenya?
*Original "Allegations" Here Note the "allegation" is that Makau buys supplements but specifically not EPO at a place that sells EPO in Kenya.
Marathon News: Mo Farah Wants To Do 10k-Marathon Double In 2016; Alan Webb Might Run One Next Fall
- Alan Webb Has Moved Back To Portland And Says He Could Run A Marathon As Early As Next Fall He's done with middle distance and moving up. He ran the first 100 mile weeks of his life and hasn't selected a training group yet, but has run with Jerry's Schumacher's group. *MB Thread
- Alberto Salazar Talks About Mo Farah Doing The 10,000-Marathon Double In Rio 2016
- Meb Keflezighi On His 4th Place In London And NYC Next Weekend "I was pushing the last two miles or so to get into fourth place. When you hear about people [in the top three] who get caught [for drugs], I want to be the guy in fourth."
Mo Farah Gets A Visit From His Twin Brother Hassan In England
Recommended Read: For The First Time Since They Were Separated At 8 Years Old, Hassan Farah Visits Mo In England
Mo, talking about his daughter, said, "She's taught [Hassan] 'fat ass, big bum bum' because she says he's a fat version of daddy."
*Twitter Post/Photo From Mo
NYRR's Mary Wittenberg
Rec. Read: Lengthy
NY Times Piece On NYRR President Mary Wittenberg: "Running INC" Since taking over at the NYRR, Wittenberg has more than doubled the club's revenue. No one in our opinion has done more to promote running as a pro sport in America. Most of the criticism in the article is from those who say the NYRR has gone too far from the "grass roots" the club started with.
Wittenberg: "We're not sorry we're successful. To our critics, we say, we want you to come along."
*Mary Wittenberg To Receive Sports Leadership Award From The March Of Dimes New York Division
*MB: Wittenberg article in the NY Times
2012 Bank Of America Chicago Marathon *Top 30 Results/Splits *Live Thread
Men Full Recap Kebede 2:04:38 Course Record, Ritz 9th 2:07:47 updated Tsegaye Kebede scorched the second half in 1:01:44 to run 2:04:38, a course record by nearly a minute. Dathan Ritzenhein ran a more than 2-minute PR of
2:07:47 to become the third-fastest American in history but amazingly that only got him 9th.
Women Full Recap Baysa Edges Jeptoo In A Thriller Two-time Paris champ Atsede Baysa and Rita Jeptoo battled all the way to the line. They both raised their hands but Baysa was the winner. Renee Metivier Baillie's marathon debut was great as she's now #8 all-time in US history at 2:27:17.
LRC Ritz Runs A Big 2:07:47 PR To Become Third-Fastest American And Finish 9th Dathan Ritzenhein ran a solid race to become the third-fastest American ever. That only got him 9th place in the race, but this was a big step in the right direction for Ritz.
BMW Berlin Marathon *Yahoo Photos *Video Of Berlin Finish
Even If They Fixed The Race, Athletics Kenya Boss Congratulates Mutai And Kimetto The WMM should disband its $500,000 first place gimmicky prize going forward if this is the outcome that is encouraged. LRC's recap and message boarders are quoted extensively in the article.
*Km-By-Km Splits In Berlin Updated
LRC Geoffrey Mutai Wins?* Berlin And World Marathon Major Title In Bizarre Finish (AKA Did Dennis Kimetto Let Geoffrey Mutai Win $500,000?) The 2012 BMW Berlin Marathon was a masterpiece on the men's side until the final 2km. The fastest marathoner ever, Geoffrey Mutai, and his training partner and breakout star in 2012, Dennis Kimetto, were putting on an exhibition, running side-by-side with each 5km faster than the one before it and on world record pace. Then the wheels fell off and there was the sprint for the finish. The problem is the mad dash for home never occurred and that left some wondering what the hell happened? Were they both completely trashed or had Kimetto deferred to Mutai, helping him win $500,000? Aberu Kebede won on the women's side for the 2nd time in a PR of 2:20:30.
- Kimetto: "I was not expecting to finish close to him since I knew I could not beat him, but I'm delighted with today's performance."
- Race Broadcast: "If anything, it may be a pre-planned thing, you know."
- Science Of Sport's Analysis Of Berlin
LRC Does Politics
LRC Meet The Man Who
Changed American Politics Started The Paul Ryan Marathon Controversy LRC Poster and 2:29 marathoner Bill Walker started the thread that made Paul Ryan's marathon time a matter of national discussion. Until now, Mr. Walker has received no
credit for his contribution to the American political landscape. Meet the man behind it all. Plus learn who he's voting for.
LRC Mo Farah Completes The Double As The British Fans Go Wild The British fans got what they wanted on the final day of Olympic track competition (marathon tomorrow is on the roads and doesn't end in the stadium) as Farah won a tactical 5,000. Bernard Lagat came up just short in his quest for his first Olympic medal for the US as he was 4th, Rupp 7th and Lomong 10th.
*MB: Official men's 5000m thread *That was the worst 5000m final in an Olympics ever
W 1,500: LRC Disaster Strikes Twice As Morgan Uceny Gets Tripped Again And A Former Doper Wins Gold Disaster struck twice in the 1,500 final. First at the bell when, unbelievably, Morgan Uceny was sent sprawling for the second straight year. It struck again a lap later when a former doper won gold and her compatriot, who has gone from 4:18 to 4:01 this year, nabbed silver.
*Pat Forde: "Saddest sight of the Games"
*Woods: "Half a lifetime of preparation, of dreaming, shattered in an instant."
Bolt Wins 200 To Become A "Legend" Bolt became the first man to win the 100 and 200 at back-to-back Olympics and become a legend in his own words. We thought he was already a legend. After leading the Jamaica 1-2-3 sweep, Bolt trashed Carl Lewis, saying he has "no respect for him" as a result of Carl's thinly-veiled drug allegations at Bolt.
More Bolt-Lewis: *Bolt Rips Lewis
A Legend Passes Too Young
LRC Eight-Time US Cross-Country Champion Pat Porter Dies In Plane Crash Updated: We've added a great photo of Porter with 3-time World XC Champ Lynn Jennings.
*Authorities: "There are no indications as to what may have caused this accident." Porter and his 15-year-old son and a neighborhood friend have perished.
Recommended Read If You Are A Seb Coe Fan
British Journalist Reads Seb Coe's Autobiography, Interviews Him And Then Totally Pans Him As An "Uninspiring" Bore We don't think we've ever read a more critical review of someone who is such a success.
Nice Read: 20-Year-Old Irish Pentathlete, Whose Inspiration Is Steve Prefontaine, Has Painfully Made Himself Into One Of The World's Elite With Just A Ton Of Hard Work
Japan And China Go To War Over A Marathon?
- Update: Correction: Japanese Now Can Compete In Beijing - Chinese Say "Administrative Oversight" Kept Japanese Out Initially If you believe that, you are a fool.
- As A Result Of Japan-China Territorial Dispute And Protests, Beijing Marathon Bans Japanese Citizens "For Their Own Safety" The race, which was originally scheduled for Oct., was cancelled by the Communist party earlier in the year but it came out on Nov. 7 that it would take place in 18 days.
*Despite Controversy And 2 Weeks Training Time, Beijing Marathon Is Hot - 26,000+ Applications In Two Days
More News From Japan:
Japan's Sole Olympic 5,000/10,000 Runner Yuki Sato - Is Dreaming Of Marathon Medal In Rio Sato, a 13:23/27:38 performer, ran in London with "B" qualifiers but will likely move up for Rio.
- Japan's 2:07 Man Arata Fujiwara Is Running December's Fukuoka Marathon For One Reason - He Wants To Beat The Great Amateur Yuki Kawauchi "Once the Olympics were finished and I had to think about what would motivate me next, I thought a showdown with him would be the most fun."
- Incoming Japanese Federation Marathon Director On Kawauchi: "I want him to keep doing things in his own style."
A Bit Random But Very Interesting
Jamaica's - Yes Jamaica's - Kemoy Campbell Is Arkansas' #1 XC Man Right Now The Jamaican junior record holder at 1,500 (3:42 from 2008 when he was just
17) and 14:18 is running well in his first year at Arkansas.
Cam Levins Will Move On Without His Southern Utah Coach Eric Houle - He's Getting Ready For Attempt At Canadian XC Title #3 Looks like the Malcolm Gladwell look-alike will be coached by Speed River's Dave Scott-Thomas, but Houle deserve a ton of props in our minds for just letting Levins run that much.
Not Sure If This Is Funny/Sad
Janitor At San Diego's Mission Bay Park - Home Of USA XC In 2008 And 2011 - Says Runners, Particulary Women, Are Mean *Discuss
Alberto - Time To Put This In The Nike Budget
Mushroom That Supposedly Powered Record-Breaking Ma's Army (Chinese Women) In 1990s Now Sells For Thousands Of Dollars Per Pound *Longer Article On Mushroom Translated In German
Field Event News
- Former HJ World Champ (2003) Jacques Freitag Arrested After Running Red Light - Had Drug "Cat" On Him He is one of only 8 people to ever win world championships at youth, junior and senior levels.
- Olympic, World And European Discus Champ Robert Harting Says Britain's Lawrence Okoye Will Be Man To Beat In A Few Years Let one thing be clear. Harting is the man to beat now. Many likely don't realize he hasn't lost in 33 straight competitions dating to 2010.
- World XC Champ Imane Merga Leads Deep Field Including Dejen Gebremeskel & Vincent Chepkok At Spanish XC Race Tomorrow World XC silver medallist Linet Masai leads women's field against Mercy Cherono, Priscah Jepleting, Belaynesh Oljira and Hiwot Ayalew.
*Last Year's Euro XC Champ Fionnuala Britton Also In Field
- Ethiopian Alemitu Abera (2:23 PR) Defending Her Istanbul Marathon Title Against 2:24 Woman Tetiana Gamera-Shmyrko & Turk Sultan Haydar (2:25) A slew of 2:08 runners in Megersa Bacha, Stephen Chebogut, Evans Kiplagat and Nicholas Kemboi lead men's field.
- Athens Marathon: Kenya's 2:07 Man Raymond Bett Wants To Take Back His Title From 2010 He hasn't ran that fast since 2007 and is up against Mesfin Hailu (2:09:50), Alex Kirui (2:09:38) and Japhet Korir (2:10:50).
US News: Lolo Jones Wins Bobsled World Cup Silver Medal
- Lolo Jones' Team Wins Silver At Bobsled World Cup Tianna Madison and her partner took bronze. Jones said, "I'm kind of in shock."
*Videos Of Lolo Jones And Tianna Madison In Bobsled Action
- Pothead Athletes Unite: How Might The Legalization Of Pot Impact The NCAA? Will Colorado and Washington schools now have a recruiting advantage?
- NYC Marathon "Update": NYRR Email To 2012 Registrants Asks For Patience And More Time As They "Work Out The Details"
- Q&A With Allyson Felix: Says She Plans On Being Around For Rio 2016
- MileSplit Weekend HS Coverage: 3 NXN Regionals And 11 State Champs This Weekend
Marathon News From Asia
- Politics And Sports Shouldn't Mix: Beijing Marathon Bans Japanese Citizens From Entering The suspected reason is that it is a retaliatory move by the Chinese government in response to Japan's recent purchase of the Senkaku Islands. The race director said it was for the "safety of runners."
- Team Rivalry: Japanese Olympic Marathoner Arata Fujiwara Says His Motivation In Fukuoka Is To Beat "Civil Servant" Runner Yuki Kawauchi Fukuoka serves as the selection race for Japan's World Champs team.
- Japan Federation's New Distance Director Says He He Want Yuki Kawauchi To "Keep Doing Things His Own Style"
Haile G Back At It In Fukuoka *Current Elite Field
- Haile Gebrselassie Doing The Fukuoka Marathon On December 2nd The current field also includes former 10k World Champ and 58:56 half marathoner Martin Mathathi, who is making his marathon debut, and US's Mo Trafeh (1:00:39 half but DNFed his two marathon attempts).
More from NYC likely to be added.
*Elite Start List *MB: Where is Haile G???
- Fukuoka Serving As The Selection Race For Japan's 2013 World Marathon Team So we'll see Yuki Kawauchi (2:08:37 PR) duke it out with the other top Japanese runners for a team spot. Japan has set 2:07:59 as the standard to make the team and only London Olympian Arata Fujiwara has run that fast.
- UK's Jo Pavey Looking To Improve On Her 2:28:24 PR At The Yokohama Marathon On Nov. 18th She'll have some extra competition to run with so many elites from NYC running.
- Where Are The Non-Elites From NYC Going? The NY Times Looks At The Many Options Would-Be NYC Marathoners Have And Where Many Are Going
*You Don't Have To Run A Marathon To Get Your NYC Finisher Medal Those who registered still get their finisher medals if they go pick them up.
*MB: Hobby Jogger Heaven: NYRR giving out NYCM Finisher Medals!!!
- Other Japan News: Japan's 36-Year-Old Saori Abe Returns To Ekiden Racing After 12 Years Away From Competition
More On Russian Doping
- Russia's World Gold And Olympic Silver Medalist Discus Thrower Darya Pishchalnikova May Face A Lifetime Ban As This Is Her Second Doping Offense She again tested positive for an anabolic steroid. Of course she says she's innocent and is asking her "B" sample be tested.
- RRW Article On Former European 10000 Champ Inga Abitova's 2-Year Ban With List Of All Her Results From 2009 Which Have Been Annulled
London Marathon Race Director/World Marathon Majors Founder David Bedford Speaks On The Issue Of Geoffrey Mutai "Winning" In Berlin And Possible Changes He says Mutai's agent claims it was NOT set up and he believes him. On the WMM, with the addition of Tokyo he thinks things could change and would like to see the payout go deeper.
- British Journalist Says Mo Farah Should Be On IAAF Athlete Of Year Short List Before Aries Merritt "Nobody could argue with Usain Bolt or David Rudisha but surely Farah's achievement surpassed that of Aries Merritt ..." Farah won 2 golds, but isn't even the 2012 world leader while Rudisha, Merritt, and Bolt all won gold medals and set WRs.
- Seb Coe Says He Will Fight For Longer Drug Bans We're all for it; 2 years is in many cases too short.
- Olympic Heptathlon Champ Jessica Ennis Says She Wants To Move To The 100m Hurdles After Moscow 2013 Her time during the heptathlon in London (12.54) actually tied Dawn Harper's gold medal-winning time from Beijing.
- Jessica Ennis Says Former UK Head Coach Charles van Commenee Tried To "Force" Her To Move From Sheffield To London Before The 2012 Games When she said no, he tried to manipulate the situation by trying to move her coach instead.
*Ennis Wins UK's Sunday Times' Sportswoman Of The Year Award
- Secrets Of Queen's Olympic Entrance With James Bond
- UK's IOC Vice-President Says The IOC Should Take Over Olympic Ticketing Distribution Process Rather Than Leave It To The Host Nation Given all the problems/controversy/scandals they had with London tickets, this could be a good idea.
Interesting News From Kenya
- Apparently The Double Taxation By The Kenya Revenue Authority Still A Major Issue Even Prime Minister Raila Odinga has opposed the KRA.
- Some Kenyan Athletes Are Threatening Switching Nationalities If The KRA Continue With Tax Demands Athletes such as Vivian Cheruyiot, David Rudisha and Abel Kirui have all spoken out. Kirui says he's being asked to pay up 5-years worth of taxes on prize money without prior notice, coming close to $152,367.
- Only In Kenya: Electoral Body Organizing Series Of Road Races Across The Country To Boost Voter Registration Ahead Of The General Election To be allowed to race, you have to register to vote.
- Patrick Makau, 3,000 WR Holder Daniel Komen And 2010 Hong Kong Marathon Champ Cyprian Kiogora Competing At December 15th's Safaricom Imenti South Road Race In Kenya Makau said he doesn't know if he'll run the 2013 World Championships, but will decide in January.
International News: Two More Russian Drug Busts
- Russia's Former European 10,000 Champ Inga Abitova Gets 2-Year Doping Ban After She Was Caught By The Biological Passport They detected an "abnormal haemoglobin profile in her biological passport - not good and to think she was supposed to run the 2012 ING New York
MB: *Pishchalnikova and Abitova get doping bans
- German Artist Builds Life-Size Statue Of Usain Bolt Completely From Bolts And Scrap Metal He calls it "Bolt of Bolts."
- IAAF Ratifies World Records From The London Olympics David Rudisha's 800, Jamaican men 4 x 1, US women 4 x 1 as well as silver medalist Nijel Amos' junior 800 record of 1:41.73.
- Russia's 2004 800 Olympic Champ Yuriy Borzakovskiy Is 31 Years Old But Says He Plans On Continuing His Career Until The 2015 European Championships
More On Seb Coe And The UK
- Seb Coe Officially "Elected" BOA Chairman Elected is in quotes because the only one running against him dropped out weeks ago.
- As Seb Coe Takes Over As The Head Of The BOA He Inherits Many Financial Difficulties Facing The Organization
- Legacy Chief Says The Olympic Stadium Might Not Open Again Until 2016 Due To Construction Things are being delayed because they still haven't chosen a tenant for the stadium and at the moment it is between West Ham, Leyton Orient, Formula One and the UCFB College of Football Business ... although there have also been talks with the NFL.
- With Long-Time Sponsor Aviva Gone, UK Athletics Looking For New Blood In The Form Of 4-6 Core Sponsors
- Olympic And Paralympic Legacy In Danger Of Being Lost Due To Government Funding Cuts And Limited Opportunities For UK Children To Participate In Sport
The Election Is Over And The Winner Is ... SEB COE
- A Look At The Challenges Seb Coe Will Face As The New BOA Chairman
- Seb Coe's BOA Appointment Opens Doors For Him As A Likely Nominee For Membership To The IOC In 2013 There is also talk of his possible appointment as the next IAAF or WADA president.
- Good Read: Reporter Shares His Story Of Lunch With Seb Coe And How They Talked On His 1,500 Gold At The 1984 Los Angeles Olympics, London And Politics Talking about his father, who was also his coach, Coe said, "He was an engineer, a good engineer. He built a leg press for me, so at the age of 14, 15, I was under a great big lump of Sheffield steel and two guiders, three or four nights a week. I'm sure my brothers and sisters and my mother thought we were both absolutely demented."
- Outgoing Chairman Colin Moynihan Backs Seb Coe To Do Great Things For The BOA
- How Can The General Public Try To Understand A Sport That Actually Crowns Two National Champions?: Edward Cheserek Decides On Foot Locker Over Nike Cross-Country Nationals He would like to run both, but the regional qualifying meet for each is on the same day, November 24th.
- Fair Point: TrackFocus Says If The Brits Say Mo Farah Got Snubbed From The List, Then We Can Say The Same About Ashton Eaton Eaton broke the WR in less than ideal conditions at the Trials and followed that up by dominating at the Games to win gold.
- Election-Related News: List Of American Politicians With The Fastest Running PRs
- In-Depth Interview With Leo Manzano Talking About Winning An Olympic Silver Medal, Future Goals And Much More He tells a funny story about how once a USADA tester showed up during a double date and awkwardly spent the whole date with the four of them.
- Cycling Still Dirty As Ever: SA Cyclist Tests Positive For EPO And He And His Whole Team Are Suspended No surprise, he's a former teammate of Lance Armstrong.
*But At Least He Admitted To It
- Sponsor Sues The UCI Over Handling Of Lance Armstrong Scandal And the Danish Cycling Unionhas launched a call for the UCI's Honorary President Hein Verbruggen to resign.
- Paul Kimmage Explains Why He Is Continuing His Fight Against The UCI With His Recent Lawsuit
- IOC Committee Executive Board Member Still Not Sure If Lance Armstrong Will Lose His Olympic Bronze Medal From Sydney 2000 But he says it doesn't matter because either way Armstrong's "credibility has already gone."
Previous NYCM News: The "Run Anyway" Marathon
- Kim Smith Is In Hawaii In What Was Supposed To Be A Run-Free Honeymoon - Now She's Halfway To Yokohama Marathon "The honeymoon is going to be more of a training trip halfway to Japan. It's a little disappointing, but obviously nobody knew this was going to happen. Plans change; you've just got to roll with the punches and hopefully I have a good one in two weeks' time and make up for this."
- Many NYC Elites Heading To Japan To Run The Yokohama Women's Marathon (Nov. 18th) Or The Fukuoka Marathon (Dec. 2nd) Kim Smith and Amy Hastings are among those going to Yokohama.
- Other American Elites Who Were Supposed To Race NYC Still Figuring Out What To Do
- Did You Miss Out? Were You Planning On Running The NYC Marathon? You Still Have Other Options List of upcoming marathons around the country. Some are offering free registration to those who were signed up for NYC.
- Satire: EatRunSwag Blogger Reports Overnight Regeneration/Healing Of NYC In Wake Of Marathon Cancellation "With the lack of weirdos wearing grossly short shorts trotting through the city and bringing mayhem to the city with their displays of athleticism and struggle, the empire city was finally able to heal. ... Do you know how much energy it costs to keep the marathon clock on for the people with finishing times greater than 4 hours? Enough to restore power to every project building in the Bronx!"
- NYT Goes Day-By-Day And Shows How Marathon Got Cancelled - Mayors Aides Panicked Over His Legacy "On Thursday night, as the mayor stood firm, those in his inner circle had deep concerns about the growing criticism. Some advisers believed it threatened to steal the focus from Bloomberg's performance during and after the storm, which had generally been well received. With his third term already marred by a botched blizzard response in December 2010, another major misstep during a crisis could damage the mayor's legacy."
- NYC Marathon Items Start To Reach Storm Victims, Including 200,000 Poland Spring Water Bottles Also 23,500 Power Bars, 28,620 bagels, 40,000 apples, 132 cots, 42,660 T-Shirts, and 52,200 heat sheets, among other items.
- NYC Was
Cancelled? Tell That To The Thousands That Ran Their Own Marathons In Central Park Lots of different races with different names, but whether it was the "Run Anyway" or "Replacement Marathon" marathon, they all brought back memories of the ragtag bunch that ran the 1st NYC marathon in the Park. Others volunteered in Staten Island.
*NY Times: "Some called it the shadow race. Others the underground marathon."
- AFP: Hundreds, Maybe Thousands Run An Impromptu Marathon In Central Park On Sunday Others ran through the devastated areas of NY, donating clothes and supplies.
- Recommended Read The WSJ Catches Up With Scott Bauhs On The Day He Was Supposed To Debut In The Marathon Bauhs calls the NYC the "Fashion week of Running" in terms of its financial impact but says people shouldn't feel sorry for him. "I feel bad for the guy who is 50 pounds overweight and was going to wake up this morning and see the race and think, 'Hey, maybe I can lose this weight and I can do this, too.'"
- NY Post Columnist Wants Mary W. To Be Fired - We Say Fire Him Instead If you don't think the Post tried to inflame the masses about the marathon, you clearly weren't in NY where there were lines hundreds deep for the Ipad mini and no uproar.
- More: *Marathon Expo Went On As Usual On Saturday
*With Can-Do Stance On Marathon, Mayor Misread NYC
*NYRR CEO George Hirsch Talks To The Media
More News News From Overseas
- We 100% Agree: World Anti-Doping Agency Says USADA Got Lance Armstong Case Right & "Must Be Applauded"
- Weeks Before Euro XC Meet, Ireland's Team Is In Disarray After Team Manager Anne Keenan-Buckley Leaves
- Excerpts from "Unbelievable" - Jessica Ennis' Autobiography - Which Comes Out This Week Ennis' dad was Jamaican-born and 33 to her mom's 19 when she came into the world.
News From Russia
- 2008 Olympic Steeple Champ Gulnara Samitova-Galkina Won't Retire After All - Hopes To Go Through Rio - Definitely Will Do Moscow WCs
- 2012 Olympic High Jump Champs Ivan Ukhov And Anna Chicherova Are Russia's 2012 Athletes Of The Year
NYCM Cancellation's Emotional Aftermath
- We Agree 100% As The NFL Would Never Cancel Its Super Bowl: Pat Butcher Understands Cancellation But Doesn't Get Why Elites Didn't Race 4 Laps In Central Park "Surely it is not beyond the wit and capacity of the organisers (and the mayor) to give the immediate go-ahead for a four-lap elite race around Central Park within the coming days."
- Olympian Julie Culley - Who Got Threats On Twitter - Reacts: "I think [the marathon] is just turning into the scapegoat for the city right now." Before you hate on Culley, realize her parents may have lost their house in the storm (still haven't been allowed to see it).
- AP Column: Marathon debacle didn't have to be Columnist blames the mayor - we blame him and the twitter haters.
- Mayor Bloomberg Says He Fought The Battle Very Hard To Save The Marathon
- Where's The Outrage? Hundreds Line Up For Ipad Mini In NYC We don't get why the consumers and the millionaires in the NFL and NBA are allowed to do business as usual in NYC but the runners are made the scapegoat.
- Runners From Around The World Voice Their Opinions On Race's Cancellation Many are staying in NY and will spend their money to try to help the city recover.
- NYC Marathon Runners Fill Unexpected Free Time/React To Race Cancellation One Italian said it was a good thing it didn't happen in Italy or people would accuse them of stereotypical disorganization.
NYC Is NOT Sunday
2012 ING NYC Marathon Is Canceled A joint statement from Mayor Bloomberg and Mary Wittenberg said, "While holding the race would not require diverting resources from the recovery effort, it is clear that it has become the source of controversy and division. The marathon has always brought our city together and inspired us with stories of courage and determination. We
would not want a cloud to hang over the race or its participants, and so we have decided to cancel it."
On The Boards: No Chance for NYC 2012, Pros Will Find Out in a Week What They Get Paid
NYC Athlete News
The Runners Start To Turn Over Their Cards
LRC Who Is The Favorite? Three Of The Men's Race Favorites Reveal Their Fitness The London marathon champ, Wilson Kipsang, talked very confidently at the press conference on Wednesday, as did the undefeated Stanley Biwott. Moses Mosop, on the other hand, said he's only 80-85% ready to go, but the last time he was that fit - he set a CR in Chicago. Renato Canova, who no longer coaches Mosop, seemingly thinks Biwott is the man to beat.
Saturday's NYRR Dash To The Finish Line 5k Cancelled So, too, is Friday night's Opening Ceremony.
LRC New York Road Runners Create And Give $1 Million To NYC Marathon Race To Recovery Fund; Rudin Family, ING Give Another $1.6 Million We at LRC are glad to see the race go on Sunday. The mayor made his call and the race is going forward. Sure there are critics, but if the race was cancelled there would be critics as well.
Women's Preview: The
Five Six Women That Could Win The 2012 ING New York City Marathon We break down the strong New York women's field led by favorite and Olympic champ Tiki Gelana. Will Edna Kiplagat challenge? Can Kim Smith figure out the marathon?
*In Her Debut, Japan Marathoner Kayoko Fukushi Went Out Hard With The Leaders But Crashed And Collapsed 4 Times Before Finishing She's improved since then (2:24 for 3rd in Chicago 2011) and is looking to do well in NYC.
*Last Year, Molly Pritz Was The Top American In Her Debut With A 2:31 And Is Going For Something Sub-2:28 This Year She arrived before the storm hit, making a 14 hour drive from Detroit when her flight was cancelled and has been doing workouts on the hotel treadmill. *NYRR Article On Pritz
*Kim Smith Arrives Safely In NYC; Says She Expects Changes To The Course
LRC Men's Preview: The Five Men That Could Win The 2012 ING New York City Marathon As New York turns its attention to cleaning up from Monday's devastating hurricane, it's time to break down the 2012 ING NYC Marathon pro men's field. Who will win: Wilson Kipsang? Moses Mosop? Martin Lel? We continue the tradition on LetsRun.com of discounting the chances of America's best marathoner, Meb Keflezighi.
*Moses Mosop Says He's At About 85% Fitness Due To The Achilles Injury That Kept Him Out Of The Olympics
*Kenyan Stanley Biwott Is Undefeated In His Five Races This Year And Is Hoping To Become The 10th NYC Champ To Come Out Of His Training Camp
*Moses Mosop, Wilson Kipsang, Stanley Biwott, Sharon Cherop And Edna Kiplagat "Faced A Marathon Just To Get To NYC" They took a flight from Nairobi to London to Boston and from there drove to New York, getting there Wednesday.
*Wilson Kipsang Benefitted From Training With NYC CR Holder Geoffrey Mutai In His Buildup For New York
*Quotes From The NYC Marathon Elite Athletes Scrambling To Make New Travel Arrangements To Make It To NYC On Time
Other Non-NYC News: Lance Could Lose His Olympic Medal
- What Goes Around Comes Around: Irsh Journalist Launches Criminal Action Against UCI President Pat McQuaid & Hein Verbruggen The UCI, McQuaid and Verbruggen had originally launched a lawsuit against Kimmage but last week suspended it.
- IOC Looking Into Possibility Of Stripping Lance Armstrong Of His Bronze Medal From Sydney 2000 The issue is the 8-year statute of limitations law.
- NCAA Sets Future Sites For Cross-Country, Indoor And Outdoor Championships For Division I, III, And III The DI 2014 indoor championships will be held in Albuquerque, NM, which will be the first time the meet has ever been held at altitude.
- USATF Announces 2012 Hall Of Fame Class One is Pat McDonald, who is recognized as the oldest Olympic champion in history, winning the 56-pound weight throw at the 1920 Games at the age of 42.
- IAAF Profiles Italian Triple Jumpers Fabrizio Donato & Daniele Greco Who Finished 3rd And 4th In London Donato is retiring and will pass down the torch to Greco to continue Italy's TJ success.
- Uganda: Olympic Marathon Champ Stephen Kiprotich Will Get Back To Work This Month By Helping Uganda Prisons Try To Defend Their Inter-Forces Games Title
- Ireland: Athletics Ireland Head Cross-Country Manager Anne Keenan-Buckley Quits She said she resigned "because of my disillusionment with the high performance management and the direction it is taking."
- Kenya: Patrick Makau's Frankfurt Victory Gets Him Nominated For Kenya's Safaricom Sportsman Of The Year Award Other nominees include David Rudisha, Ezekiel Kemboi, Julius Yego (javelin thrower), Abel Kirui and Wilson Kipsang.
- Japan: Japan's #1 Female Marathoner Kentaro Nakamoto (6th In London) Gets Back On The Roads With A Stage Win At The Grand Tour Kyushu This is an eight-day, 50-stage, 732.2 km ekiden around Japan's southernmost main island of Kyushu.
- Jamaica: TV Interview With Jamaican Olympic Champ Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce
- IAAF Online Diary: Veronica Campbell Brown Says She's Resumed Training
NYC Marathon Updates *MB: NYC marathon and hurricane
- Wilson Kipsang Says He Feels Completely Recovered From The Olympic Marathon And Is Ready To Go For NYC This Sunday Kipsang is mostly self-coached as he takes advice from experts such as Renato Canova, but then listens to his body and modifies things as needed.
- Geoffrey Mutai Has Already Won The Men's World Marathon Majors Title, But NYC Will Decide Who Wins For The Women It's between Mary Keitany, Edna Kiplagat and Sharon Cherop. Keitany is in the lead, but not racing so if Kiplagat or Cherop win they get the overall title; if they finish 2nd or worse then Keitany wins.
- WSJ: NYC Marathon Lead Car Serves As An Effective Recruiting Tool To Move Shorter Distance Elites Up To The Longer Distance It worked on Kara Goucher, who said, "It literally changed the course of my career." Luke Puskedra and Neely Spence are riding this year.
- Mary Wittenberg Doesn't Expect The Storm To Have Any Effect On Sunday's Race
- NYC Marathon Runners Being Given The Option To Defer Their Entry Until Next Year If They Cannot Travel Due To The Hurricane However, they will have to repay their entry fee again for 2013.
- ESPN Broadcasters Excited To Be Announcing The NYC Marathon On Live TV For The First Time Since 1993
RW Q&A With Deena Kastor On Coming Back From Recent Injuries To Win The LA Half She also talks about only running competitively for 1 or 2 more years and wanting to win one more major marathon like Boston or NYC before she retires. She and her husband are taking over the Mammoth Track Club and she's looking forward to coaching other elite runners in the future.
NCAA XC Conference Action Is This Weekend *All Results
On The Sabbath: Big 10: *Results *Discuss
*Wisconsin Men Take 14th Straight Big 10 Title IU's Zachary Mayhew won over Wisco's Maverick Darling and Mohammed Ahmed. NCAA 1,500 champ Andy Bayer was 4th.
*Michigan Takes Big 10 Women Title Sara Kroll won individually.
Saturday: PAC-12: Men: #2 Colorado Men Comfortably Defeat #3 Stanford And #8 Oregon That's 2 for 2 in the PAC-12 for Colorado. Arizona went 1-2 as expected but finished 7th. *Boulder Daily Camera *Results
Women: Jordan Hasay Leads #3 Oregon To Win In The Toughest Conference In The Country Over #5 Arizona, #4 Stanford & #6 Washington *Results Hasay was the runner-up as Stanford's Kathy Kroeger got the win. Hard to believe it's Oregon's first conference win since 1995.
*MB: Discuss *Post-Race Hasay Video
Big 12: Oklahoma State Men Dominate For 5th Straight Title Five in the top 8 for OSU. *Results *Discuss
Women: National #2 Iowa State Cruises *Results
Heps *Results *HepsTrack.com
*#7 Cornell Women Roll By Going 1-2-3 Up Front Congrats to friend of LRC Artie Smith, coach of the Big Red.
*#23 Princeton "Upsets" #10 Columbia & Wins In A Rout As Vig Gets Heps Title #1 We write "upsets" as it's hard to call it an upset when you are winning for the 6th time in 7 years and 4 of your top 5 broke 9:00 in the 3,200 or steeple in HS and you have 8 sub-9:00 high school 3,200 guys on the roster. *Heps 2012 Highlight Video
Men: #22 V. Tech Men Upset #14 FSU And #18 Duke To Win 1st-Ever Title The unranked UVA men got 2nd.
*#1 FSU Women Win
Patriot: Congrats To The Lehigh Men, Who Claim 1st-Ever Title - Navy Women Win
Recommended Read: Blogger Incredibly Previews/Predicts Virtually All The Men's XC Conferences
Two Biggies Were Friday - SEC & Big East
Big East: *Results
MB: Syracuse Men Win For 4th Time In 5 Years / GTown Women Win As Nova Goes 1-3 But Finishes 4th
*With Syracuse Going To ACC Next Year, Redshirt Frosh Champ Martin Hehir Will Go Down In History As Only Undefeated Big East Meet Runner In History
*SEC Report: Arkansas Men And Florida Women Win SEC Cross-Country Titles Texas A&M's Henry Lelei won the individual race in 23:29.95 as Kentucky's Cally Macumber won for the women in 20:23.29.
*Quick Q&A With Henry Lelei Asked what sport he'd play if he wasn't a runner: "I would like to play golf; you don't use a lot of energy. You just walk around and hit [the ball]."
MB: #30 Florida Women Upset #12 Arkansas As Heavily-Favored #9 Arkanas Men Win
MB: SEC distance stock skyrockets / xc predictions
MB: Anyone got a live results link to the SEC XC champs this morning?
MB: Who is timing the SEC meet
Who's The #1 Team In The Land? The Coaches Say Okla. State, You Say It's Colorado
LRC Mark Wetmore's Colorado Buffaloes, Florida State Women The New #1 In The LetsRun.com NCAA Cross-Country Polls Florida State is shooting for its first national title and Colorado Buffaloes hope to get back on top for the first time since 2006. Plus we have conference predictions for the major conferences.
Memo To All LetsRun.com Fans - You Now Have As Many Tour de France Titles As Lance Armstrong
Cycling Feds Strip Lance Armstrong Of 7 TDF Titles & Bans Him For Life
UCI will strip him of his seven Tour de France wins. Lance Armstrong has no place in cycling. He deserves to be forgotten in cycling."
Insurance Company Wants Its Money Back "Mr. Armstrong is no longer the official winner of any Tour de France races and as a result it is inappropriate and improper for him to retain any bonus payments made by SCA."
Christian Hesch Admits To Taking EPO, And Other Drug News
- NY Times: Christian Hesch Admits To Taking EPO
a perfect example of how cheating doesn't just happen at the top level of the sport. There are guys who ride under the radar and take away prize money from other deserving clean athletes. And his arguments that he ran the races clean because the EPO was "out of his system" is ridiculous. Doping can benefit you for years.
*Hesch Writes Public Apology For Doping *RW Article Detailing How Hesch Initially Denied Doping
*MB: Christian Hesch doping article in the NY Times/Competitor.com
- Armstrong's Lawyer Challenges Accusers To Take Lie Detector Test, But Then Says Lance "Might" Be Willing To Take One His lawyer said the only reason Armstrong would refuse a lie detector test was because he had "moved on." Yeah, okay.
2012 World Half Is In The Books *Results *MB: World Half Thread
Zersenay Tadese Dominates World Half - Wins Record 5th Title Tadese put on a show at the 5k mark and won by 32 seconds.
*LRC US Men, Led By Top-20 Showings By Augustus Maiyo And Luke Puskedra, Finish 4th
*South Africa's Stephen Mokoka Moves From 16th At 15km To 8th At Finish
*Amateur Kawauchi Is Top Finisher & Japan Running News Brett Larner Rips The Entire Japanese System As A Result How can a self-trained guy who has won two marathons in six weeks beat the best of the Japanese corporations?
Ethiopian Women Stun Kenya And Win Individual And Team Titles
The Kenyan women had the five best times in the field but someone forgot to tell that to the Ethiopians, who went 1-2 to win as Meseret Hailu (68:55) edged Feyse Tadese (68:56).
*LRC Shalane Flanagan Falls Off Early - Fades To Disappointing 25th Place Finish As US Women Finish 5th Flanagan went out in the top 10 at a sub-70 pace but ended up in 74:41 as just the third US finisher.
Recommended Read: 27 Years Later, Twin Cities Marathon Record Of 2:10:05 Still Belongs To A Single Father Of Three Who Had A Full-Time Job & Didn't Go College As He Wasn't Fast Enough For A Scholarship
LRC "Non-Running" Running Photo Of The Week
LRC LetsRun License Plate Spotted In Texas: What Does It Mean? A car (Porsche?) in Texas has been spotted with a 26.2 sticker and a LTS RUN license plate. We assume the owner has run a marathon, but more importantly ... do they come to LetsRun.com? Of course they should, but we want your help in unraveling this mystery.
The Greatest 800m Ever?
Could Be Was Epic:
LRC David Rudisha Becomes A Legend By Winning Gold With A World Record In The Greatest 800 Race In History updated David Rudisha went after in London and delivered, as he became the first person to break 1:41 in the 800. The rest of the field went after Rudisha and delivered as well as 7 of 8 runners PRed in a truly epic race where places 1-8 set new all-time best time-for-place marks. Duane Solomon and Nick Symmonds became the 2nd and 3rd Americans to break 1:43 and amazingly neither medalled.
*MB: Rudisha 1:40.91 WORLD RECORD!!
*Epstein: How low can Rudisha go in 800?
*Science Of The Sport Analyzes The Olympic 800 Final And Rudisha's Race Strategy
Getting High Praise In The Email Inbox:
Mediocre Great Britain: You Lived Up To Your Name "For a country where pessimism is now part of the national consciousness, the Olympics were a resounding success. Not okay, not pretty good, but truly Great ..."
- Joe Newton's York Remains Only School To Qualify For Every NXN Finals - 9 Straight
- From Last Week: Canadian HSer Runs Entire Rocky, Snowy, Icy 6.7 Km XC Race With One Shoe - Finishes 2nd
NCAA Regionals *Men's Results *Women's Results *Saturday: DIII Regional Results
LRC Official 2012 NCAA D1 Cross-Country Fields Announced Everything that we told you would happen did happen.
LRC Men's Results From All 9 Regions In 1 Place We give you all the team finishers plus the top 25 individual finishers for each region.
LRC Women's Results From All 9 Regions In 1 Place
LRC Projected Men's NCAA Qualifying Teams Famed message board poster "devils advocate" (okay, we just heard of him today) has run the numbers through his computer program and tells you who is in and who is out.
*LRC Projected Women's NCAA Qualifying Teams
*MB: NCAA DI Region Results
- West: Jordan Hasay Wins West Regional As UO Women Get Their First Regional Win Since 1995 Cal Poly's Laura Hollander was 2nd individual. Stanford won on the men's side with University of Portland 2nd and UO men were 4th as a team. Lawi Lalang dominated as Stephen Sambu was 2nd and Trevor Dunbar 3rd. *UO Article
- South: Florida State Women Go 1-2-3 To Absolutely Dominate As Bernard Lagat's Sister Violah Gets The Individual Win
*Florida State Men Win As Well With Jakub Zivec Taking 1st
- Northeast: Iona Men And Mitch Goose Win Northeast Regional; Columbia And Syracuse A Close 2-3
*Providence Puts 4 In The Top 8 To Win Women's Title; Abbey D'Agostino Returned From Injury To Take The Individual Win
*Interview With Abbey D'Agostino
- Great Lakes: Mohammed Ahmed Leads Wisconsin Men To Their 11th Straight Regional Title
*Michigan Women And Ohio University's Julie Accurso Take Great Lakes Regional
- Mid-Atlantic: Georgetown Men Win Mid-Atlantic Over Villanova & Princeton Temple's Travis Mahoney was first over the line.
*Penn State Women Beat Georgetown By Only 2 Points As Villanova's Nicky Akande Wins Individually
- Mid-West: Oklahoma And Oklahoma State Men Tie For Midwest Title; Tulsa 3rd By Only 2pts Tulsa's Chris O'Hare won over OSU's Girma Mecheso. Iowa State's Betsy Saina led her team to the women's crown.
- Mountain: Northern Arizona Men Win Over BYU And Colorado; Texas Tech's Kennedy Kithuka Wins Easily
*Weber State Women Win As Colorado Is Back In 3rd UTEP's Risper Kimaiyo beat Colorado's Shalaya Kipp.
- South Central: Texas Men, Arkansas Women Win South Central Regional Texas A&M's Henry Lelei and Texas' Marielle Hall were the individual winners.
- Southeast: Kentucky's Cally Macumber Wins As Duke Women Take Team Title
*Virginia Men Win Southeast Region; Eastern Kentucky's Soufiane Bouchikhi Beat Out UNC-Greensboro's Paul Chelimo
New Scientific Study Says Ice Baths Don't Actually Help Athletes With Recovery After Exercises Yeah, and there are also studies which say you're less likely to be injured if you run on the hard pavement instead of soft trails.
More On Athlete Contracts: LRC Jesse Williams Of Brooks Sports: Brooks Shoe Contracts Don't Have Reduction Clauses
Random International Stuff
- Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce's Teammates Made Her Cry At The 2007 World Champs When They Laughed At Her Because She Was Afraid To Anchor The 4 X 1 Heats
- Talk About Your Past Coming Back To Bite You: German Olympic Shot Put Champ David Storl Denied Prestigious Silver Laurel Leaf Award Because He Once Took Shots At A Dog With An Air Rifle All other Germans who won Olympic medals received the award.
- Agra, India (Home Of The Taj Mahal) Will Host A World Class Half Marathon In February There's no mention of names, just that the field will include elite Kenyans and Ethiopians.
- UK Paralympian Says Attitudes Towards Disabled Have Not Improved Since London Citing The Lack Of Handicap Ramp At A Recent Sports Dinner
- Yohan Blake Talks About Starting Up His Training Again And What Aspects He And Glen Mills Are Trying To Fix With His Form "... Technically, what I am looking to work on is getting more stride length. ... Also, my hand comes across my body and I tend to run sideways, and so we are working on that a lot this year, so next season should be a cracker."
- "With Bolt And Blake The Top 2, Who Will Emerge As The No. 3?" Hopefully Tyson Gay wins it all.
- The Next Bolt? Video: Japanese Teen Runs 10.19
How Much Can You Bench? Valerie Adams Can Bench 160kg (352.74lbs) And Squat 230kg (507lbs)
More Updates From The Dirty World Of Cycling
- CAS President John Coates Setting Up An Independent Comission To Investigate The UCI's "Role In Helping Cover Up The Issue Of Doping In The Sport"
- One Of The World's "Leading Corruption Busters In Sport" Says Fans And Sponsors Have A Right To Be "Cynical" About Cycling "Sporting bodies are still operating very much like clubs: best friends of each other and employing family members, looking for people they are comfortable to work with ... instead they should be operating like multi-national businesses rather than hide behind 'blue smoke and mirrors.'"
Random International News
- IAAF Eliminates Marathon World Cup Team Medals From Moscow World Championships They were awarded based on the combined times of the top three finishers from each country.
- Usain Bolt's And Yohan Blake's Coach Is Now A Doctor Glen Mills given an honorary Doctor of Laws Degree from University of the West Indies.
- Obviously Not: Sprinter Claims To Have Run 9.90 And 20.0 On Grass
- UK 400 Silver Medalist Christine Ohuruogu Says She's Looking Forward To Moscow 2013, But Doesn't Know If She'll Still Be Competing Come Rio 2016
College/HS Weekend Results *USTFCCA Weekend Results
- DII Regionals Were This Weekend: USTFCCA Championship Central With Links To Meet Info & All Results
*All-Region DII Individuals Named For 2012
- NCAA Releases Fields For Div. II Cross-Country Championships
- All Weekend College XC Results
- MileSplit Weekend Coverage Of HS State Meets/Results
Good Election News: USOC Member Says US Presidential Election Result Won’t Affect American Olympic Bid Anita DeFrantz says she expects a bid for the 2024 or 2026 Games no matter who wins the election.
Weekend Non-NYCM News
- Sad News RIP Dyestat: John Dye Was Unable To Get New Funding, So Dyestat Will Exist As An Archive Website Only (To Preserve Its History) A big thanks for the contribution John Dye made to the running world the past decade plus. We're sad to see him go.
- Seoul Marathon Is Sunday - Preview: 2:04:27 Man James Kwambai Is Back To Defend Crown
- 2010 World XC Champ Emily Chebet Returns To Form With Win in Kenyan XC Meet David Rudisha's teammate, Moses Mukono, won the junior boys race as Peter Matelong won the senior men's.
- Andrew Kastor - Deena's Hubby - Taking Over Coaching Duties For Mammoth TC; Meb K. Moving To San Diego
- Richmond Alum Rips Board For Eliminating Soccer And Track - The #1 And #2 Teams In Terms Of GPA At Richmond A fat-cat board member wanted the school to have men's lacrosse but it would be really expensive to add a men's sport and a corresponding women's sport to comply with Title IX so he just axed soccer and track. *Text Of Alum's Speech
- Konica Minolta And Universal Entertainment Win East Japan Corporate Ekiden Championships Titles
Big Non-NYC News: Tokyo Joins The World Marathon Majors
- Tokyo Marathon Officially Joins The World Marathon Majors
- Recommended Read: Great Article On The 1962 San Jose Cross-Country Team, Which Was The First Racially-Integrated Team To Ever Win A Division I NCAA Title Coach Dean Miller: "I would always say, 'I don't care if they're black, white, striped or polka dot. All I'm interested in is how fast they can run, how far they can run, and whether they're willing to commit physically and mentally to being a champion.'"
- RW Article On Terrence Mahon's Move To UK Athletics And And All The Changes Going On With The The Mammoth Track Club A lot of quotes from Deena Kastor, who says that Mahon will continue coaching elites already in the Mammoth Track Club.
- Kenyan Athletes Win: Kenyan Revenue Authority Says Athletes Will Not Be Taxed Twice On Earnings Abroad So they will face no Kenyan income tax if they were already taxed by the country where they won their prize money.
Highlights From Non-NYC News
- WADA Says The Best Athletes In The World Train In The High Altitude Regions In Kenya Without Ever Being Subject To Blood Tests This goes for Kenyans and foreigners who go there to train. WADA says it's due to logistical issues that no blood tests are taken, which means athletes training in Kenya can use EPO, HGH, and blood transfusions with very little risk of being caught.
- One We Missed: Cal Poly's True Freshman Laura Hollander Named USATF Athlete Of Week For Winning Big West Conference Champs With A CR 19:12.6 (6k) Hollander led wire-to-wire, breaking the CR by 45 seconds. *Results
*MB: Laura Hollander 19:12 6K!!!
- Terrence Mahon Hired By UK Athletics No word on what this means for Morgan Uceny and the other athletes he coaches.
*MB: Terrance Mahon to UK Athletics
At Least Track Is Popular Somewhere: In The US We're Excited When Track Gets On TV; Meanwhile, The European Championships Drew 156 Million Viewers
- Athletics Illustrated Q&A With Steve Magness On Some Running-Related Science Topics "As a whole, we're probably a nation of over recoverers, if that's even a word. For instance, do we really need to cram the message that we need carbs post run after every run?"
- TrackFocus Q&A WIth Alex Kosinski On The Start To Her Post-Collegiate Career With The OTC
- D1 National Rankings: Guy Who Previewed Every Men's Conference Meet Publishes His Own National Top 30 And Reviews Each Team
- Coaches' Rankings: Updated DI XC Rankings: Oklahoma State Men & Florida State Women Still Ranked #1
*DIII Regional Rankings *DIII National Rankings
- Hilarious Video Parody: Hitler's Running Injury Downfall Definitely worth a watch.
- Run For Your Life, Fred Lebow Documentary, To Be On ESPN Classic This Weekend
- US Marathoners Might Still Be Far Behind The Top Kenyans/Ethiopians, But It Could Always Be Worse Germany is excited that they actually have two guys sub-2:14 this year.
NYC Marathon News
- Full Professional Fields For 2012 ING New York City Marathon Released In the women's field, Olympic champion Tiki Gelana will be the heavy favorite. On the men'sside, London Champion, Olympic bronze medallist, and world's #2 on a certified course, Wilson Kipsang, should be a slight favorite over 2:03:06 man Moses Mosop. Meb Keflezighi, fourth at the Olympics, leads the American charge.
- Profile On Veteran Amputees Who Are Running The 2012 ING NYC Marathon
- On Not Doing NYC: Q&A With Ryan Hall: Says He's Healthy And Talks About His Upcoming Trip To Train In Kenya And Gives Some Insights Into His Typical Marathon Training
- Amy Hastings And Kim Smith Talk About Training And Living Together In Providence Ahead Of The NYC Marathon
- In-Depth Interview With Molly Pritz, Who Was First American Woman At NYC Last Year She wants to run 2:26-2:28 in NYC.
- Q&A With Meb's Brother/Agent Hawi Keflezighi
Usain Bolt Makes SNL Cameo During Vice Pres. Debate Skit *Article
The NYC Marathon Returns To Live Television
ESPN Going All Out On Coverage Of ING NYC Marathon It's a fact sporting events of signifcance are shown on live national TV (or tape delay prime time in case of the Olympics). The ING NYC Marathon is back on ESPN2 this year and ESPN2 is going all out on its coverage announcing today that Sports Center anchors John Anderson and Hannah Storm will lead the broadcast. With the way ESPN works, this also means you'll likely see some pre-race and post-race coverage. Tim Hutchings and others on the broadcast as well. Unfortunately no Toni Reavis.
LetsRun.com T-Shirts Hit The
LRC High School Team Dominates In LetsRun.com T-Shirts If you're going to run fast, you should also look good doing it. That's what the Blue Valley Northwest XC team did in Topeka, Kansas as they sported their new LRC T-Shirts and swept four of the top 10 places
With Wejo no longer competing, maybe we should sponsor them.
LRC Guest Columnist: Lactic Acid - Is It All That Bad?
LRC From Time Magazine To NBC Commentators: Why is everyone still so confused about lactate (and exercise physiology)? LRC guest scientific contributor, PhD Matthew Goodwin, takes a look at some common exercise physiology misconceptions. His #1 target: The idea that lactic acid causes muscle soreness.