Quote Of The Day
“I’m on a chair. I open the window – and it took years for me to share this, because I thought it was weakness, I thought it was cowardly. … I’m on the chair. You don’t want to kill yourself. I just wanted to go where it was quiet. I looked out of the window and three-and-a-half or so floors down to the ground and then a little slope. And my thoughts were: ‘It’ll all be over.’ But then I didn’t jump.”
“I didn’t jump, because I didn’t hear through my ears – underneath my skin, through energy, an unspoken word, which sounded like, ‘Don’t.’ And the fourth time, so gentle, so loving, but so commanding, like an echo: ‘Don’t.’ And it sounded like my dad’s voice.”
“I’m crying. I step off the chair. I’m thinking about what he told me when, three years after my mom died and then before he died, he would tell me that it takes a dream to heal broken souls.I got off the chair crying, and I wrote down a dream to heal a broken soul: gold medal, Olympic 10,000-meter run …”
“(Earl Thomson), formerly the coach at the Naval Academy, Canadian, gold medalist in the high hurdles came up to me and said, ‘Son,’ so gentle. ‘I’m so glad you’re here. You have a lot of talent. Now, I’m not gonna coach you. More importantly, I want to be your mentor, but you have to let me inside. You have to let me know your dreams.'”
“And he tapped his heart. ‘You’ve gotta let me inside of your heart.'”
“I thought, ‘My gosh, this is like my dad speaking to me. This is like God sending my dad’s spirit to me through (Earl Thomson)’ and I opened up my heart to him.”
– Billy Mills talking to Boston’s public radio station about how he went from being on the verge of suicide to 1964 Olympic 10,000 champion. You can listen to the piece in the upper left hand corner once you click on the link.
- Nick Symonds is married. The King finally has a Queen.
- Mary Cain, Killian Journet, LeBron James, Serena Williams, Usain Bolt, Michael Phelps race a mile
- Someone filmed UK Athletics distance coaches Barry Fudge and David Harmer coaching w/o proper social distance in "awful" video
- WADA study supposedly says those with TUE aren't more likely to win an Olympic medal? Is this really true?
- Ritz set to become new ON Running pro group coach for $150,000/year
- Did the Olympic Channel just unknowingly reveal how Des Linden (and Yuki) won 2018 Boston? Des has a 19.6% body fat percentage
- Has the future of marathoning arrived - OYO Marathoning? USATF Certified marathon course - run it when you want on your own
- Are you surprised by your age?
- David Woods/Indy Star: USATF has held a nationals for 144 years without interruption, will that end in 2020?
- Breaking 3: Son of 46-yr old woman who just ran a 2:46 during Covid-19 makes a nice video about her effort
- Kenenisa Bekele Mini-Documentary out today