Quote Of The Day
“There’s always a mix of satisfaction and grief when you hear the news that an athlete has been caught for cheating. … Justice begins when someone that stole from the sport isn’t going to just get away with it. But I grieve the decision that was made by a skilled athlete, capable of greatness, to take a shortcut. I grieve that athletes have influencers around them that encourage rather than prevent bad behavior. I grieve the continued systematic abuse of drugs, money, and power to corrupt a sport that would be even more compelling if everyone played fairly. I grieve the loss of my own opportunity to stand in the place that my hard work earned me on many podiums, robbed of moments meant to honor the dozens of people that helped get me there. I’m hopeful that things might really be changing for the better in our sport and I’m sad it didn’t start changing sooner.”
– Jenny Simpson talking after Abeba Aregawi‘s doping positive was announced yesterday. When Simpson won 1,500m silver at 2013 Worlds, it was only Aregawi who beat her.
- Epic fail: Abeba aregawi tested positive for doping
- Why do people desire Track & Field to fail?
- Ethiopian Doping Positives on the way
- What do we know about meldonium (drug Aregawi was busted for)?
- Panera didn't want to sell me a bagel
- How quickly do you lose fitness maintaining mileage but without hard sessions?
- 4:21.51 wins the Big East mile?