Next Weekend's Pre Men's Mile Will Have It All
Better Than The Olympics: 2013 Bowerman Mile At Pre Classic Will Feature A Totally Incredible Field You can't get a mile field better than this as it features Makhloufi vs. Kiprop plus all of the other London finallists plus all of the world top 10 from 2012.
*MB: Return of the Makh - Bowerman Mile startlist
*MB: Makhloufi Running Bowerman Mile at Pre Classic
More News Of Note From Oregon:
Oregon's Elijah Greer Has Jettisoned The Self Doubt And Is Making A Statement
Al Sal Says He Wants Mary Cain To Get 5,000 "A" In Case She's Sick Or Gets Tripped In 1,500
Oregon's Chris Brewer Speaks For 1st Time About Crash That Nearly Killed Him & Molly Grabill Brewer was on Oregon's 4 x 1 mile team at Penn. Grabill has missed the only season recovering from the horrific crash.
Kara Goucher's Next Race Will Be 10,000 At US Trials
2013 NCAA Preliminary Round *NCAA Regionals Declarations/Start Lists/Results
- NCAA Regionals Are This Weekend: NCAA Regionals Declarations & Start Lists Released There is a free West stream.
- 5 Minutes With Emma Coburn
- Former College Star Making News: Former Arkansas Star Shawn Forrest's Perseverance Is Rewarded With First World Champs Appearance He'll run the marathon in 2013. In 2000, Forrest carried Haile Gebrselassie's basket at the Olympics.
News From The UK
- Injury Forces Fraser-Pryce Out Of This Weekend's 150m Showdown With Felix They were supposed to square off at the BT Great CityGames here in Manchester.
- Jamaican Paper Says It's Only A "Minor" Hamstring Issue As F-P Won In A WL 10.93 In China
- Despite Mid-March Surgery, Dai Greene Says He's Way Ahead Of Where He Was Last Year
- A Man Of Principle: Wheelchair Star David Weir Turns Down Lottery Funding As UK Snubs His Coach And Hires Australian For National Job
IAAF Beijing World Challenge Was Yesterday: Brimin Kipruto Loses Again *Full Results
- IAAF Recap: David Oliver Wins 110 Hurdles In WLing 13.16 As Jason Richardson Was Well Beaten In 3rd (13.48) Justin Gatlin won the 100 over Mike Rodgers 9.91 to 9.96 (something went wrong for Doc Patton, who was last in 12.05), Olympic champ Anna Chicherova set the HJ WL at 2.02m, Allyson Felix dominated the 200 in 22.36, as did LaShawn Merritt the men's race in 20.40, and Kellie Wells won the 100H in 12.87. In the LJ, world leader/hometown favorite Li Jinzhe won in 8.31m, but was forced to exit the stadium after suffering an injury to his left arm. SA's Godfrey Mokoena was back in 4th (7.97m). *Full Results
- Kenyan Distance Events: Kenya's Hilary Yego Won The Steeplechase In 8:09, Beating 2008 Olympic Champ Brimin Kipruto By 6 Seconds In the women's 1,500, Eunice Sum out-sprinted Mary Kuria, 4:04.49 to 4:05.17, while in the men's 800, Alfred Kirwa Yego beat Edwin Melly on the line, 1:46.43 to 1:46.46.
- List Of US Performances
US News: Mary Cain Racing Pre 800 And Debut 5k In Early June
- June 1st: Mary Cain Adds To An Already Stacked Field In The Pre Classic 800: She Joines Pamela Jelimo, Mariya Savinova, Alysia Montano And Brenda Martinez As well as Janeth Jepkosgei and Yekaterina Poistogova. Cain ran 2:01.68 at the RE:Run San Diego and the American Junior Record is 2:00.07 (by Kim Gallagher in 1982) while the World Junior record is a ridiculous 1:54.01 by Jelimo.
- June 8: Cain Will Run Her Debut Track 5k At Protland Track Classic
- Ashton Eaton Forced To Pull Out Of Decathlon At This Weekend's Austrian Multi Event Meet Due To A Tendon Strain It sounds like it is a minor injury, but not something he feels is worth the risk trying to compete through and risking the rest of the season.
- Former UVA (Now Oregon) Runner Brett Johnson Almost Died In Moped Accident Last weekend at Oxy, he ran a big 1,500 PR of 3:38.91.
- Video Interview With Former HS And Florida State Star Sprinter Marvin Bracy, Who Talks About Making The Decision To Go Pro Early With adidas & Current Injury
US News: Men's Moscow Marathon Team Announced
- Mo Trafeh, Jeffrey Eggleston And Carlos Trujillo Named As US Marathon Squad For Moscow 2013
*Meanwhile: Australia Sending A Marathon Team Of 5 Women And 4 Men But yet the US is only sending 3 men / 3women.
- Asics Sponsors Alysia Montaño
- Updated DI Rankings: Florida Men And Kansas Women Enter Regionals As Favorites In Computer Rankings
- Qualifying For The 2014 Boston Marathon Will Be Harder Than Usual Because Of The 5,600 Runners Who've Already Taken A Spot After Not Being Able To Finish 2013
- Maybe All Those Feel-Good Olympic Stories Aren't A Coincidence? Study Finds That Past Adversity In Life Might Make You A Better/Tougher Runner Today The study found that being exposed to stresses in your life "toughens you up" and lets you better deal with pain while competing.
- Study Looks At How Exercise Affects Sleep, And Vice Versa They found that morning workouts result in fewer wakings during the night compared to afternoon or evening runs.
(In Case You Missed It Over the Weekend) Week #2 Of IAAF Season Is In The Books *Full Results *LRC Shanghai Photo Gallery (Videos In Race Recap Below) (Non-LRC Coverage Further Down Page)
LRC 2013 Shanghai Recap: Asbel Kiprop Pulls Off A Houdini Act, Do We Have A New King & Queen In The Men's Steeple And
Women's 5,000? Asbel Kiprop amazed, a new phenom emerged in the men's steeple and perhaps as well in the women's 5,000 & Francine Niyonsaba
dominated the women's 800. Plus lots of great sprint/field action with Kirani James, Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce, Jason Richardson, and Chinese hero, jumper Jinzhe Li.
*IAAF Full Meet Recap
LRC Shanghai Photo Gallery
MB: Official 2013 Shanghai Diamond League Discussion Thread
Sunday Road Results: Ryan Hall 2nd At Bay To Breakers
- Bay To Breakers: Tolossa Fufi Wins, Ryan Hall 2nd In First Race Since Olympics Hall was pleased to be healthy again. Diane Nukuri Johnson won the women's race.
*More: Best Bay To Breakers Costumers
*MB Thread On Hall's Run
- 16-Year-Old Marathon Debut: 16-Year-Old Alana Hadley Runs 2:58 In Marathon Debut Hadley's debut at such a young age got her a front page story in the NY Times sports section today.
- Japan: WR Holder Zersenay Tadese Takes Down Martin Mathathi At Gifu Seiryu Half Tadese ran 1:00:31 to Mathathi's 1:00:54. Ryan Vail was 10th (1:04:52) and Yuki Kawauchi, a week after running back-to-back half marathons, struggled in 14th place (1:05:05). Mestawet Tufa won the women's race in 1:10:03. *IAAF Recap
- Brooklyn: Kim Smith Wins Brooklyn Half In CR 1:11:24 Tesfaye Girma won the men's race in 1:06:03. *Full Results
- Still Not As Good As Kawauchi: Kenya's Duncan Koech Wins Nordea Riga Marathon In 2:15:35 3 Weeks After Running 2:09:10 For 3rd In Prague Ethiopia's Aberash Nesga won the women's race in 2:40:31.
- Isabella Ochichi Continues Her Comeback, Winning Sweden Half Marathon In Hot Conditions In 1:11:29 (Results Only) Jackson Kiprop won the men's race in 1:03:13.
- Further Proof Race Walking Is Not A Sport We Cover: Russian Race Walking Duo Try To Tie By Crossing The Line Holding Hands But Fail Due To Electronic Timing
- Jeromy Andreas And Lebo Phalula Win SA Road 10k Titles
WADA Head David Howman Says They Are At A Financial Breaking Point "It seems that each year we get asked (for) more and each year we do not get any more money."
Non-LRC Shanghai Coverage
- IAAF Shanghai Full Meet Recap: 9 New World Leads, Including Kirani James' 44.02 Over LaShawn Merritt's 44.60
- CapitalFM: Shanghai Blast Shows Kiprop Is Back"
- Nick Willis Falls In Final 100m Of Shanghai 1,500, Finishes 13th In 3:40.72 He probably would have been around 3:33 if he hadn't fallen. Countryman Zane Robertson was 15th in 3:42.08.
- Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce Wins 100 in 10.93 As Carmelita Jeter Pulls Up Injured In 3rd Jeter was actually carried off on a stretcher. Bronze medalist Warren Weir won the 200 over Justin Gatlin as China's Zhang Peimeng broke the NR. Jason Richardson won the 110H as Aries Merritt DNFed before even going over the first hurdle as he felt a cramp in his hamstring.
- Olympic LJ Champ Greg Rutherford Is Only 3rd (8.08m) As China's Li Jinzhe Was The Upset Winner In 8.34m It was a bad night for the favorites, as 2008 Olympic silver medalist Godfrey Mokoena was 7th, 2008 Olympic champ Irving Saladino was 8th, 2004 Olympic champ Dwight Phillips was 10th and London silver and bronze winner Mitchell Watt and Will Claye were second to last and last.
- IAAF Profile On Chinese LJer Li Jinzhe, Who Got The Upset Win Over A Star Studded Field In Shanghai It was the best jump by a Chinese athlete since the NR set 16 years ago.
- EA Recap: Yelena Isinbayeva Wins PV In 4.70m
*Apparently Isinbayeva Jumped Through Pain In Her Takeoff Leg And This Report Says "she may take off several months if tests reveal a serious injury." The fact that the report is talking about possible months off makes it sound like it was more than a little pain. Isinbayeva said, "I'll check with the doctor on Monday and he will tell me what I should do."
- Qatar's Mutaz Essa Barshim Wins HJ In 2.33m On Countback Over Ukraine's Doha DL Winner Bohdan Bondarenko www.telegraph.co.uk Brit Robbie Grabarz's struggles continued as he was only 5th in 2.24m.
- Finland's 2007 World Champ Tero Pitkamaki Wins Shanghai Jav Over Czech Republic's Vitezslav Veseley As Trinidad And Tobago's Keshorn Walcott Was 7th Tero threw 87.60, which is the best throw in almost 4 years.
- SA Trio Disappoint In Shanghai DL Meet
- AW Recap
UK News: Jessica Ennis Gets Married
- Jessica Ennis Marries Her High School Sweetheart *Photos
- Teen Sprint Star Jodie Williams On The Slow Comeback Road After Getting Injured During The 2012 UK Olympic Trials We see this too often with young stars. She passed on a chance to run the 2011 World Champs, but now she's missed the Olympics and might not make the 2013 World Champs. Young athletes don't realize how fragile their careers can be; take the opportunity to compete at the top while you have it.
Recomended Read: Think Aries Merritt Came Out Of Nowhere Last Year? Not Quite, As He Was A World Jr. Champ In 2004 But Then Always Injured And Not As Dedicated After That Good interview with Merritt, who knew he could be good when Jason Richardson won in Daegu because he "murdered" him in college. He talks about changing diet, technique, playing tons of video games, and how he thinks he would be a "monster" at a 200m hurdle race.
Random But Interesting
- Video: Harvard "Barefoot Running Professor" Discusses Barefoot Running And Form On Colbert Report
Runner Problems? Aussie Parliament Member KOed By A Kangaroo While Out For A Run
- We Hope No One Is Surprised: Study Finds CrossFit Won't Help Your Running As Much As Running
- Kenyan Marathon Legend Paul Tergat Taking Over Kip Keino's Spot At The IOC
Random ... Less Interesting
- New Athletics South Africa Admin Zola Majavu Trying To Turn These Around For The Federation Which He Says "Lacked Governance" He says they've reached a turning point as he is in control and has access to their bank accounts. They'll be able to take 24 athletes to 2013 Worlds.
- Blow To The Olympic Legacy Project In The UK As Schools Are Forced To Cut Amount Of Time Spent On Physical Education
- Japan Track Federation Establishing New Counseling Service For Athletes Dealing With Sexual Harassment And Physical Abuse
A Few Recommended Reads
- Recommended Read: Only A Few Months After Losing His Dad To Cancer, Aussie Joel Pocklington Wins 3rd Pole Vault National Title After winning, Pocklington stopped going for a higher height as he was just sad his Dad wasn't there to enjoy it with him.
- Recommended Read #2 Now That Minimalist/Barefoot Fad Is Officially On The Decline, The Science Of Sport Tells Us What We've Learned
- Virginia Woman, Who In 2011 Was First To Run Across US Without Assistance, Will Run Entire Tour de France Route This Summer
Young Phenoms In The News
MB: 21-yr old Laura Weightman runs 8:43.46 for 3k to open up 2013 Weightman is very, very good. Basically as good but a year younger than Jenny Simpson was in 2009 and Simpson is now a World Champ.
Oregon Signee Christian Brennan Of Canada Hoping To Break 51.70 In Upcoming Meet The #1 time in college is 51.57.
News From Kenya (A Deceased Phenom In The News)
Anniversary Of Sammy Wanjiru's Tragic Death Passes - Mausoleum In His Honour Was Unveiled As His Lawyer Claims Agent Federico Rosa Has Stolen Money
Patrick Makau (2931) Loses To Peter Kirui (2915) At Administration Police Championships
Jon Olsen Named USATF Athlete Of Week As He Won World 24-Hour Champs And Led Team USA To Team Gold
Previous: Ultrarunning.com Americans Dominate World 24-Hour Championships ultrarunning.com
*Modesto Bee: Modesto's 38-Year-Old Middle School Teacher Jon Olsen Wins World 24-Hour Championships
Pre-Race: Modesto Ultramarathoner Jets To Holland For A 24-Hour Race
Inside The Mind Of GBR Ultra Runner Robbie Britton, Who Was 19th At 24-Hour Worlds Last Weekend
Running Science: Kenyan/Ethiopian Dominance - Is It In The Genes?
- Latest Study On African Running Supremacy Argues For Importance Of Genes The Science Of Sport blogger Ross Tucker and his colleagues say that Kenyans don't necessarily have "better" genes, they have more people with "good-enough" genes so start with a bigger talent pool that rises to the top.
- Drink Up: Study Reports How Under-Hydrating Affects Your Next Day's Run The study found that participants ran about about 3% faster the next day for a "hard 10k" when they rehydrated 150% of sweat losses compared to when they replaced only 75%.
Kim Smith 15:02 5k, Molly Huddle 8:57 3k At New Balance Boston Twilight Meet Abbey D'Agostino won the 800 in 2:08.11. *Full Results
- Qatar's Nicholas Kemboi (2:08:51) And Kenya's Caroline Rotich (2:27:00) Win Prague Marathon Rotich has won Cherry Blosom and the NYC Half prior to this this year.
- Sally Pearson Injures Her Hamstring Again; Won't Be Able To Race Again Until July
*IAAF Recap Asian Grand Prix: Sally Pearson-Led Australia 4 X 100 Gets DQed For Zone Violation
- Olympic Champ Mizuki Noguchi (70:36) Wins 1st Race In 5 Years At Sendai Half Marathon Mekubo Mogusu won the men's race in 1:01:54 as Yuki Kawauchi was 10th in 1:03:30.
- Belem World Challenge: Cuba's TJ World Leader Silver Medalist Ernesto Reve Wins In 17.37m; Brazil Sprinter Ana Claudia Wins 100 In 11.05 Colombia's Rafith Rodriguez won the 800 in 1:44.70 *Full Results
Conference Champs *Links To All NCAA Action *USTFCCCA Previews: SEC, PAC-12, Big 10
- PAC-12: *Full Results *Team Results
Oregon Men And Women Sweep PAC-12 Titles For 5th Consecutive Year The men won with 149.5 points to USC's 108 as the women beat Arizona 139 to 123.
- Lawi Lalang Dominates PAC-12 1,500 And 10k He won the 1,500 by more than 3 seconds in 3:38.53, running away from the pack early. Mac Fleet was 3rd (3:42.20). Lalang won the 10k in 28:14 with OU's Parker Stinson 2nd back in 28:56.
- Oregon's Elijah Greer Dominates 800 As He Wins In 1:49.48
- Colorado Steeplers Win Steeplechase Titles: Emma Coburn Won Comfortably In 9:55 Aric Van Halen won in 8:41.
- Arizona State's Shelby Houlihan Wins 1,500 In 4:14.84 Over Oregon's Becca Friday (4:14.99); Jordan Hasay 5th (4:15.53)
- USC's Bryshon Nellum Wins Over Oregon's Mike Berry In The 400, 44.77 To 45.14
- After A DQ In The 100, English Gardner Leads Oregon 1-2-3 Sweep In The 200
- Big 10: *Full Results *Nebraska Men Win Big 10 Title For First Time Minnesota's Abda Harun won the 800 over Cas Loxsom (1:48.64 to 1:48.67), IU's Andy Bayer doubled up, winning the 1,500 (3:44.24 over Robby Creese's 3:45.39) and 5k (13:54.71 to Connor Reed's 13:54.90).
- Penn State Wins Big 10 Women's Title
- SEC: *Full Results Arkansas, Texas A&M Win SEC Outdoor Championships Kemoy Campbell won the 5k in 13:57.17 over Henry Lelei (13:58.02); Lelei took the steeple in 8:38.11 to Stanley Kebenei's 8:40.23. LSU's Natoya Goule won the 800 in 2:01.12 and Arkansas' Patrick Rono took the 1,500 in 3:50.
- Arkansas Men Get SEC Triple Crown
- IC4A/ECAC: Cornell Men Win Their First Outdoor IC4A Title Since 1951; First Ivy Team To Win Outdoors Since 1982 *Full Results
- UConn Women Win Their 9th ECAC Title *Full Results
Next Weekend: World Cross-Country Champions Japhet Korir And Emily Chebet Lead Fields For May 19th TCS World 10K Bangalor Road Race Korir will face Moses Masai, Ukranian Sergiy Lebid and GB's Scott Overall, while Chebet will race Lucy Kabuu and Pascalia Kipkoech (second-fastest woman over road 10k in 2012).
- Recommended Read: RunBlogRun Looks Back At The Career Of Khadevis Robinson And Talks To Him About His Plans For 2013 With a wife, two kids, and a full-time coaching job at Ohio State, KD isn't sure what we'll see from him in 2013 or if he'll even be at US Champs in Des Moines.
- Erik Sowinski Gets A Nike Contract
- Good RW Q&A With Nick Willis, Who Is Taking An Approach To His 2013 Racing/Training Schedule More Like The One He Did In 2008 When He Won Olympic Silver Very interesting that his wife actually has a large say in his training and he gets her input on every workout beforehand. She's also there during the workouts along with coach Ron Warhurst.
Two Interesting Reads From The UK
- Recommended Read #1 Dai Greene & Gold: Pain Of Finishing 4th In London Will Never Leave, But Brit Aims To Rule The World After Olympic Agony
- Good Read: Meet Jack Holden - The Oldest European Marathon Champ In History Holden, who was born in 1907, was a marathon star in his 40s.
And One From The US:
- RR#2: Connecticut Post's Series On Running High School Cross-Country For An Inner-City School By Tim Loh
Re:Run San Diego
San Diego Tribune On Mary Cain's Great Run Nice read by Mark Zeigler. We wish people would stop comparing Cain to Mary Decker. Mary Decker has a drug offense on her record and is not someone to emulate.
Results: Duane Solomon Wins 800 In 1:46.54 Over Erik Sowinski And Lopez Lomong; Brenda Martinez (1:59.59) Wins Women's 800 As Mary Cain Runs 2:01.68 In 4th (updated with splits) In the mile races, Paul Robinson won in 4:04 after the field went out in 2:10, beating Jordan McNamara in 2nd (4:04.71); David Torrence was 6th (4:05.38). For the women, Susan Kuijken won in 4:27.13 over Brie Felnagle (4:28.90).
*OTB: Mary Cain 2:01.68!!! *Mary Cain-2:01.68 @ Re:Run *Re:RUN San Diego Results & Discussion
Sunday US Road/Conference Champs Results *Links To All NCAA Action
Non-Conference Results: Ethiopia's Belete Assefa (34:21) Wins Bloomsday 12k Over Kenya's Emmanual Bett (34:33) Brent Vaughn was the top American in 8th place (35:28) as Abdi Abdirahman was 10th (35:46) and Zach Hine 13th (36:09). For the women, Ethiopia's Buzunesh Deba dominated in 39:53 as Kellyn Johnson was the first American in 5th (40:42). *Top Results *MB Thread
*Kenyan James Kirwa Defends His Title To Win Pittsburgh Marathon In 2:13:37 As American Mary Akor Won The Women's Race In 2:37:35 Kenyans Julius Kogo and Risper Gesabwa took the 13.1 mile titles in 1:02:32 (CR) and 1:13:16 respectively.
*AP: Pittsburgh Marathon Run Amid Tightened Security
*Feisha Ayelle (47:02) and Askale Merachi (53:45) Win Broad Street Run 10 Miler In Philadephia (results)
*HS: Oregon Recruit MaryBeth Sant Runs High School Leading 11.38 To Win 100 At St. Vrain Invitational In CO She also ran 23.91 at the same meet.
Big 12: *Big 12 Full Results *Texas Men, Kansas Women Claim Big 12 Titles Both meets were close with Texas beating Oklahoma 146.5 points to 133 and Kansas winning with 158 over Texas with 145. Final day highlights included Oklahoma going 1-2 in the 1,500 as Patrick Casey set a Big 12 record of 3:40.04, beating out Riley Masters (3:41.22), OK State going 1-3 in the 5k led by Kirubel Erassa (13:53.53), who won over Girma Mecheso (13:54.62) and Tom Farrell (13:55.47), Betsy Saina winning the 5k by 33 seconds in 15:41, Natalja Piliusina winning her 3rd straight outdoor 800 title in 2:03.99 and Texas' Trevor Van Ackeren winning the steeple (8:49).
*Texas Article *Big 12 Meet Site
Heps: *Full Men's Results *Princeton Men Win 3rd Straight Heps Princeton was trailing Cornell, but put 3 in the top 5 of the 5K to pull ahead, led by Michael Franklin's win (who also won the 10k). Princeton's Peter Callahan won the 1,500 in 3:49.74.
*Full Women's Results *Cornell Women Defend Heps Title, Beating Columbia By 24 Points Abbey D'Agostino dominated the 1,500 in 4:11.94 and also won the 3k in 9:21.79. Cornell's Rachel Sorna won the steeplechase in 9:58.96. All-Americans Sorna and Katie Kellner had impressive distance triples, each winning their specialty event, to help the Big Red cause.
*Day 2 Highlight Video
Big East: *Men's Results *UConn Men Win Their Big East Crown In Close Battle With Notre Dame Notre Dame's Jeremy Rae won the 1,500 in 3:47.76.
*Women's Results *Notre Dame Women Dominate Big East Championships Villanova's Emily Lipari won the 1,500 in 4:24.25.
Patriot: Patriot League Report, Final Day: Bucknell Sweeps Men's And Women's Titles *Results
PAC-12: Oregon's Dakotah Keys Wins PAC-12 Decathlon Title; Arizona State's Keia Pinnick Won The Heptathlon Multi events are the week before the rest of the meet for the PAC-12. *Results
2 Reviews & 1 Book Excerpt From John McDonnell: The Most Successful NCAA Coach In History
LRC Book Review By Former Hog Marlon Boykins: "Two Thumbs Up:"
book is full of insight into the hard-working, team-first ethos that
made us such a successful." We had two people review the book, including the 1:47 man Boykins, who was at Arkansas at the pinnacle of its heyday. "It was a self-contained UBER-COMPETITIVE atmosphere ... the sprinters, jumpers and distance guys all trying to show which group reigned supreme ..."
Book Excerpt The Legendary Story Of The 1989 Penn Relays DMR, Where 4 Kids From Arkansas, Texas And Missouri Beat 4 African Olympians And The Olympic 1,500m Champ The 1989 Mount St. Mary's Penn Relays DMR team featured 4 African Olympians, including 1988 Olympic 1,500m champ Peter Rono. John McDonnell's Arkansas squad featured 4 kids from Texas, Missouri and Arkansas. A legendary motivational speech by McDonnell and Joe Falcon on the anchor made for one of the great upsets in Penn Relays history. Read all about it in this excerpt from the new John McDonnell biography.
LRC Review #2 John McDonnell D2 Coach Torrey Olson We had Olson, who has an MFA in creative writing, give his take. "It's got a lot to offer anyone interested in an incredibly sustained passion for the both the sport and the profession."
NYC adidas Grand Prix Is This Weekend *Schedule, Results And Television Information *Men's Preview *Women's Preview
LRC 2013 adidas HS Boys Dream Mile Race Preview - Will A 5th American Prep Make History And Go Sub-4? We don't normally spend a lot of time on the HS ranks as it's not truly elite, but the boys mile field on Saturday is special. Ever since last year, when two juniors ran 4:01 and 4:02, the track world has been wondering, "Will someone go sub-4 in 2013?" We break it down for you in Odyssey-like fashion -
*MB: How many high school milers will break 4:00 this season?
*Q&A With adidas Meet Director Mark Wetmore
LRC Women's Preview: Abeba Aregawi Makes Her US Debut As Americans Rowbury, Uceny, Grace Hope To Contend. Will Brenda Martinez Get Closer To 4:00? Phenom Abeba Aregawi will be after convicted drug cheat Mary Slaney's US all-comers record of 3:58.92 in the 1,500m. A slew of Americans will be running for 2nd. Will this be Brenda Martinez' coming out party?
LRC Men's Preview: David Rudisha Set To Shine Again As Hagos Gebrhiwet And Dejen Gebremeskel Prepare To Clash High schoolers will try to go sub-4, Hagos Gebriwet, Dejen Gebremeskel and Ben True in the 5,000, and David Rudisha in the 800 while Erik Sowinski, Robby Andrews and Nick Willis fight for 2nd.
*More: Full Meet Preview: Women's Pole Vault Features 6 Of The Top 7 In The World Last Year, Led By Jenn Suhr Sanya Richards-Ross vs. Amantle Montsho and Christine Ohuruogu in the 400, Tyson Gay vs. Nesta Carter and Ryan Bailey in the 100, Jeremy Wariner vs. Kevin Borlee in the 400, Michael Tinsley vs. Javier Culson (400H), Christian Taylor vs. Philips Idowu (TJ), and Blanka Vlašić returns to competition against Olympic silver medalist Brigetta Barrett.
*Final Starting Lists Set For Dream Mile And Dream 100
*Jamaican Sprinter Kemar Bailey-Cole, Who Almost Beat Bolt In His Opener, Is Looking For A Sub-10 At This Weekend's NYC adidas GP "I watched the race [against Bolt] over and over and realised that if I had leaned at finishing and not slowed down close to the line, I would have won."
Not Your Everday Track & Field Links
- Sanya Richards-Ross And NFL Hubby Aaron Have Filmed Reality TV Show - Glam & Gold, Which Will Air On WETV In July, Chronicles Her Fast-Paced Life
- Cool: Author Of Running With The Kenyans Uses Crowdfunder To Raise £1,500 To Bring A Kenyan Talked About In His Book To Europe To Race Japhet Koech has trained every day for 5 years and never earned a penny.
- Richard Carrión Today Gave Official Confirmation He Is Entering The Race To Succeed Jacques Rogge Carrión is a 60-year-old Puerto Rican.
*Alan Abrahamson On Carrión
- South African Olympic Head Does Not Believe Athletics SA (ASA) Is In Danger Of Being Suspended By The IAAF *Previous: IAAF Wants Explanation
- Interesting IAAF Profile On Olympic HJ Champ Ivan Ukhov, Who Talks About Being Able To Touch A Basketball Hoop With His Chest And Gaining 55 Pounds In The Off-Season But Losing It All Right Before A New Season
- July 4th: Lausanne DL Meet Will Feature Nine 2012 Olympic Gold Medallists Sally Pearson is expected to return from injury and face Dawn Harper. Sanya Richards Ross vs. Amantle Montsho in the 400, and Renaud Lavillenie is in the PV.
- Olympic Heptathlon Champion Jessica Ennis Will Start Her Season At Edinburgh meet On June 8th She will compete in hurdles, javelin and long jump.
- Oscar Pistorius' Brother Acquitted Of Culpable Murder For The Death Of A Female Motorcyclist
- IAAF Demands Explanation From SA Olympic Committee For Their Suspension Of The Athletics South Africa Board
So What If One Of Your Legs Is Longer Than The Other?: Concrete Answers Still Hard To Find When Answering The Question: Why Do Runners Get Injured? Going against common belief, a recent study has found no correlation between runner asymmetries (which were frequent) and injury rates.
- Anna Chicherova Blogs Ahead Of Beijing World Challenge And Talks About Rooming With Yelena Isinbayeva At The First World Youth Champs Back In 1999 She also talks how recently she had a traumatic experience in her town as there was a major train wreck and explosion right near her house when a train carrying oil derailed.
- June 1: Tirunesh Dibaba Leads Field For Pre Classic 5k She'll face a deep field, including 2-time World Championships silver medalist Sylvia Kibet (14:31), London 6th placer Viola Kibiwot (14:34), World Champs 5th placer Mercy Cherono (14:35), Gelete Burka (14:31), World Jr. champ Buze Diriba and Americans Shannon Rowbury, Lisa Uhl, Kim Conley and Neely Spence.
- July 1: Nate Brannen Facing Good 1,500 Field In Craig Miller, Jack Bolas, And Pablo Solares At Vancouver Sun Harry Jerome Track Classic
- SA Ultra-Distance Runner Kami Semick Pulls Out Of Comrades Marathon With Injury
(In Case You Missed It Over the Weekend) Occidental *LRC Oxy Recap *LRC 2013 Oxy Photos *OXY HP Live Thread
LRC Oxy Recap Mary Cain 4:04.62! Is Now Nearly 10 Seconds Faster Than Any Other American High Schooler
High school junior Mary Cain ran 4:04.62 for 2nd place to Katie Mackay to smash the American high school record. Cain is now nearly 10 seconds faster than any other American high schooler ever, and would be the #2 collegian of all time. Will Leer won the stacked 1,500m, but not officially, no men hit the "A" standard in the 1,500 or 5k, and Jenny Simpson PRed and Treniere Mosier impressed. Plus Webb,
and Solinsky in the 5k. *2013 Oxy Photo Gallery
*Post-Race Video Interview With Cain
*IAAF Recap: "Mo Farah Upstaged By US Prodigy Mary Cain"
Oxy On The Boards:
- MARY CAIN 4:04.62 IAAF A STANDARD!! *OXY HP Live Thread *Nick Symmonds wins OxyHP *Ritz looked great tonight *Bottom line: How many "A" Standard did Oxy Accomplish? *Prediction Of Day: Mary Cain will run under 4:06 tonight *Webb at oxy... Very concerning... I love the guy but what's happening to his career?!
Non-Oxy/Shanghai Track Results: Asafa Powell Injured Again
- Asafa Powell Pulls Up Injured Again During 100m At JAAA All-Comers Meet In Kingston (Includes Video) He pulled up about 50m into the race, hurting the same hamstring that gave him problems in Australia.
- Ponce, Puerto Rico: Dutch Over Culson, Ajee Wilson, Jeff Demps Win (updated with article) Johnny Dutch beat Puerto Rico's own Javier Culson in a world-leading 48.02. In other action, junior phenom Ajee Wilson won the 800, NFL player Jeff Demps won the 100m in 10.27, Erik Sowinski and Genevieve LaCaze won, as did friend of LRC Jeff Coover. *Full Results
- Atlanta: Lolo Jones Happy With Her 100H Win In 12.74 Over Queen Harrison At Atlanta Grand Prix Jeremy Wariner was 2nd in the 400 in 45.39, losing by .02 to GB's Michael Bingham. Trey Hardee beat Ashton Eaton in the SP and US's Terea Brown won the 400H (55.13). *Full Results
- Brit Junior Jessica Judd Runs 2:00.71 To Win Loughborough 800 Olympic 1,500 finalist Lisa Dobriskey won the 3k in 9:03, Perri Shakes-Drayton the 400 in 50.98, Rhys Williams ran top 2013 European 400H time in 48.90 for the win.
- Fast 10ks In Japan: 2011 World XC Silver Medalist Paul Tanui Runs World-Leading 27:21 At Kyushu Region Champs At the East Japan Corporate Champs, London 10,000 5th-placer Bedan Karoki ran the 2nd-fastest time in 2013 in 27:30.
- Kenyan Enock Omwamba Wins 1,500-10,000 Double At Kanto Regional University Championships In Japan He ran 3:39 and 28:15.
- Brad Walker Gets PV World Lead (5.83m) At Low-Key Setting In Phoenix Includes video.
- Weekend HS Coverage: Wesley Frazier Wins 3 North Carolina State Titles In 3,200 (10:00), 1,600 (4:49) And 800 (2:14) At Utah state champs, Ben Saarel won the 1,600m in a state record 4:07 (beating Luke Puskedra's record) and the 800 in a state record 1:51.13. Jason Hartman-coached Elise Cranny won Colorado state titles in the 3,200/1,600/800.
- Former Throws WR Holder Mac Wilkins Has Been Developing A Post-Collegiate Throws Group In Oregon His athlete Liz Podominick hit the "A" in the discus.
- Discus Olympic Champ Robert Harting Opens His Season With 68.31m WL In Germany He also set the record for most days undefeated with 1,003 days.
WomenTalkSports Profile On Olympic Trials Steeplechase 4th Placer Ashley Higginson Higginson is part of the New Jersey-New York Track Club under Coach Gagliano.
Kenyan Opinion Piece: "How Athletics Kenya Missed The Lane To Self Redemption" A lot of harsh criticism of AK and accusations of rigged elections and intense infighting.
Paralympic Gold Medalist Alan Oliveira Says He Was Motivated By Oscar Pistorius' Complaints Over The Length Of His Blades "I have to thank God that I don't have legs, otherwise I would be on a farm in the countryside, working in the north of Brazil just like another guy."
More From Friday:
*Kenya Prisons Athletics Championships: Africa Bronze Medallist Timothy Kiptoo Wins 5K In MR 13:34.0 Olympic 5,000 bronze medalist Thomas Longosiwa was 5th (3:45.1) in a close 1,500 as unknown Kibet Barng'etuny won in 3:44.0.
*IAAF Recap Uberlandia International Meeting: August de Oliveira Sets South American PV Record At 5.40m
College Running News
- MB 2013 NCAA Outdoor Track And Field Preliminary Round Competitors Released The fields for the first round of the NCAAs - 48 in each event in two regions - are out. Check to see who is in, who is out and who is running what? *2013 NCAA Track And Field Schedules
More Collegiate Running News
- Japan Running News Looks At Japan's Stellar University Runners (Three Sub-28s In Recent Weeks) And Compares Them To US Runners
- Oregonian: Is Kansas Good Enough To Keep The NCAA Women's Title Away Fom Oregon At Hayward Field? We'll See
News From Kenya
- Wilson Kiprop Has To Fight But Wins 10,000 At Kenya Prisons National Athletics Championship The 2010 world half champ bounced back from his 2:19 marathon in Hamburg last month (after running 59:15 in March).
- Q&A With The 4th Fastest 10,000 Runner In History, Nicholas Kemboi, After His First Marathon Victory In Prague Kemboi, who has maintained his Christianity after his citizenship switch from Kenya to Qatar, is aiming for the Moscow World Champs now.
Big Administrative News
- Seb Coe: "I will stand for IAAF Presidency only if Diack doesn't run for re-election as expected."
- Singapore's Ser Miang Ng Announces His Candidacy For IOC Head
- After Only 8 Months In Charge, Peter Eriksson Steps Down As Head Coach Of UK Athletics As His Family In Canada Needs Him We respect someone who actually cares about their family: "No job is more important than family and children, and personal circumstances mean that mine need me to be back in Canada." *The Telegraph *BBC *Reuters *Guardian
- UKA Ready To Go "Foreign" Again When It Finds Replacement For Eriksson
Not So Fast: Jessica Ennis' Coach Toni Minichiello Interested In UK Athletics Post
- USOC Brought In $338 Milllion In Revenue In 2012 - Gave $4.7 Million Of That To USATF - And Made $91 Million On The Year
*Alan Abrahmson: USOC's Snapshot Of Stability
Upcoming Pro Action
- Next Weekend: Blanka Vlasic Will Return To Competition For 1st Time Since Surgery 16 Months Ago At Next Weekend's adidas GP In New York Men, get your tickets now.
- Aries Merritt And Jason Richardson To Clash At Pre Classic
- May 26: Ryan Hall Running Costa Rica Half Marathon In San Jose "I'm not sure what kind of shape I'm in. I haven't raced yet this season but [have] been training hard and feeling good in my running so I'm excited to go and test myself."
- May 30: A Ton Of Prize Money On The Line For The Big River Festival Of Miles Elite Mile On May 30th In St. Louis Field has 9 sub-4 guys, including Aaron Braun, local favorite Stephen Pifer (3:56), and 3:54 miler Pablo Solares.
- Will There Be Any Russians Left To Compete In Moscow? 2011 Russian XC Champion Yekaterina Shlyakhova Gets 2-Year Ban After Testing Positive For An Anabolic Steroid
- Kenya Sets Up Anti-Doping Center In Eldoret AK president Isaiah Kiplagat: "WADA is very concerned that the government was not giving the matter of doping the seriousness it deserves. Kenya's credibility is being doubted in the athletics world and that is a matter we take very seriously. We must end it."
*WADA Urging Kenyan Government To Set Up Independent Inquiry Into Doping Allegations, Saying Previous Investigations Have Been Insufficient WADA labeled Kenya as a global doping hot spots and a "location of choice" for would-be dopers.
- Leading Australian Sprinter Matt Davies Possibly Facing A 2-Year Doping Ban
- Other Corruption News: IOC Proposing Establishment Of Global Betting Monitoring System To Guard Against Corruption And Match-Fixing
Tenacity: Spikes Looks At US 400 Hurdler Michael Tinsley's Long Road To An Olympic Silver, Which Saw Him Go Sub-49 Seconds For 9 Consecutive Seasons But Unable To Make A US Championship Team "Winning a medal was wonderful. ... I now get the chance to talk at schools where I tell them to follow their dreams. I tell them I used to finish fourth and barely make it. I tell them not to let life get you down and stay focused."
- June 1: Bernard Lagat And Galen Rupp Face A Loaded 5,000 Field At Prefontaine Classic They'll face Chris Derrick, Olympic bronze medalist Thomas Longosiwa, sub-12:50 runners Isiah Koech, John Kipkoech and Yenew Alamirew, 2008 bronze medalist Edwin Soi, Cam Levins, Collis Birmingham and Emmanuel Bett. Mo Farah could be a late addition as he is still deciding between the Pre Classic 5k or 10k.
- June 13: Will 13 Be Lucky Number In Oslo For Two-Time Olympic Jav Champ Andreas Thorkildsen? He'll face a competitive field for the DL meet.
- July 19: Olympic PV Champ Renaud Lavillenie Announced For Monaco DL Meet
- August 29: Usain Bolt Will Compete At Final Diamond League Meet In Zurich As yet to be decided whether he'll do the 100 or 200.
IAAF Profile On Russian LJer And Model Darya Klishina, Who Failed To Qualify For The London Olympics After Coming Back From Surgery At The End Of 2011 Article asks if she will she become the next Maria Sharapova and be known for her looks and athletic achievements or another beautiful Russian blond like Anna Kournikova, who never won a major championship.
Saturday's Pro Action - US 25km Champs At Fifth Third River Bank Run / UAE 10km *USA 25km Results *UAE Results
MB Tyson Gay Runs 19.79 In only his 2nd 200 since 2010, Gay runs a time that would have won him the bronze at the Olympics.
LRC Mohamed Trafeh Sets US 25km Record (1:14:18) At 2013 USA 25km Champs At Fifth Third River Bank Run Dot McMahan won the women's title as Matt Tegenkamp was third in the men's race.
LRC 2013 UAE Healthy Kidney 10-K: Leonard Patrick Komon (27:58) Wins But Comes Up Short In Bid For $30,000 Course Record American Meb Keflezighi returned to racing for the 1st time since London and finished 9th (28:57). The field was so stacked that Stanford 10,000 winner Ben St. Lawrence was only 10th.
*Pre-Race Q&A With Meb Before His Return To Racing Interesting fact - Meb was healthy enough to run 10 miles the day of Boston and was at the Boston finish just before the bombs went off.
Doping News: Well Done, WADA
Great News: WADA Confirms Changes To World Anti-Doping Code Which Will Double Length Of First Offense Bans From Two To Four Years The decision now has to be confirmed when it is presented to stakeholders on November 12 and will take effect in 2015. Besides longer bans, the code will help WADA to punish the athlete's accomplices - such as coaches and teammates.
Interesting Distance Runner News
- Nick Symmonds Might Be The Next Star Of Reality TV Show "The Bachelor" "People may say that I do this stuff just for publicity. To those people I say, so what if I am? The sport of track and field needs more publicity."
- Alberto Salazar Says African Dominance In Distance Running Is A "Numbers Game" And To Beat Them Non-Africans Have To "Do Everything Perfect" "That's how I feel, we've just got a couple of diamonds and we've got to polish them perfectly to compete against the tons of raw diamonds coming out of Kenya."
- Guardian Q&A With Haile Gebrselassie, Who's Racing A 10-Mile In Sweden Next Weekend He says he no longer does speedwork, just longer runs to avoid injury, talks about his first-ever race, and did you know he had this song playing in the stadium on many of his record runs?
Two Recommended Reads
Recommended Read: Religion Blog: What Truths Does Iconic Image Of Boston Marathon Truly Capture? "Just as Jews pray to celebrate Passover 'next year in Jerusalem' and Muslims pledge to visit Mecca, marathoners want to 'run
*More Boston: Runners Start An Online Petition To Grant A Spot In The 2014 Boston Marathon To The 5,700 Runners Who Were Stopped Before They Could Finish More than 21,000 have signed; the BAA say they haven't made a decision yet.
RR#2: John Mayer: Western State's Ian Butler On Remarkable Run In Life's Goal To Succeed The D2 All-American suffered two brain injuries as a kid and has had people tell him he's retarded and the memory of a goldfish. Hanging out with the wrong crowd in 9th grade, he's now of track to be a college grad.
Interesting Reads From Africa
- 2-Year Anniversay Of Sammy Wanjiru's Death Is Wed., May 15th, And Fuller Picture Of His Downfall Is Emerging
Bolt Opened Up At 100m On Wed. *2013 Cayman International Invitational Full Results
- Shocker: LRC Usain Bolt Nearly Beaten - Opens 2013 Season With A Less-Than-Impressive 10.09 Bolt was way behind 85 meters into this race and only won in a photo after his training partner seemingly slowed on purpose at the finish line.
- LRC Race Video And Picture Of Photo Finish The photo finish has been released to prevent people from going off on big conspiracies. The TV camera angle was so bad, people watching it live assumed he'd lost.
- Bolt On His Sub-Par Race: "I'm always disappointed if I don't run under 10 seconds ... It was just a bad race." "I just did not feel the power from the blocks and when I got to 50 metres it wasn't the normal race. ... I just have to go back and figure out with my coach what went wrong."
News At Home
- NCAA 10k Champ And Trials 2nd Placer Natosha Rogers Talks To RW About Why She Quit Running Back when the news broke there were conflicting reports, but she says she sustained a serious knee injury when she fell back in the fall and really hasn't recovered from it. She says, "I do believe I'll run again, but it'll be on my knee's terms when it's ready so I can give 100 percent."
- Race Video: Tokyo Steeplechase: Abel Mutai Wins, Cory Leslie 8:20 The fall at 7:20 is worth a watch.
Jamaican Invitational *Results *Meet Website
- Wow: Tyson Gay Blows Away The Field With A 9.86 Victory In His Season Opener; Nesta Carter 2nd (10.03), Doc Patton 3rd (10.07) In the women's 100m, Veronica Campbell-Brown won in 11.01sec as Allyson Felix was back in fifth (11.13).
*IAAF Recap: 5 World Leads, Including US's Ryan Whiting's 21.74m Throw In The SP Over Christian Cantwell (20.29m) Nickel Ashmeade won the 200 in 20.00 (WL) over bronze medalist Warren Weir and Wallace Spearmon, Luguelin Santos took the 400 in 45.15 1, US's Antwon Hicks upset bronze medalist Hansle Parchment in the 110H, Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce won the 200 in 22.38 as Stephanie McPherson (50.43) beat 2008 Olympic champ Christine Ohuruogu (50.58) in the 400 and Dawn Harper took revenge on Queen Harrison winning by .02 with a WLing 12.62.
*Full Results *MB: Tyson Gay opens with 9.86!
The Virgin London Marathon - The World's Most Competitive *Top Results LRC: Photo Gallery
Women's Race: LRC Priscah Jeptoo Finishes First In Women's London Marathon Marred By Wheelchair Collision Jeptoo was very
over the second half, but the race was marred by the fact that Olympic champ Tiki Gelana was wiped out from behind in a horrific collision with a wheelchair racer.
*Top Results LRC: Photo Gallery
More London: *Video Of Wheelchair Collision
Good News: Wheelchair Racers May Start Before Professional Women Next Year
*Josh Cassidy (Wheelchair Racer Who Hit Gelana): "One of these years a woman is going to have a leg broken, a career ruined."
*London Honors The Victims In Boston
*Some Are Selling Boston Memorabilia On EBay And Giving Proceeds To Charity
Recommended Read: Paula Radcliffe And Her Husband Reflect On Her 2:15:25 Marathon WR, Which She Ran At London 10 Years Ago
- Stat Of The Year: Robert Harting Hasn't Lost A Discus Competition In 34 Meets And 1,006 Days
- Who Came Up With This Stat? Brit Runs Fastest 200m Ever For 14-Year-Old In European History (21.76)
Update On The Pregnancy Front
- 400 Semifinalist Lee McConnell Is Pregnant And Hoping To Be Back For Hometown 2014 Commonwealth Games If you are keeping score at home, it was "a bit of a surprise."
*More On McConnell
- Reuters Reported On Wed. What We Reported In January: Mary Keitany Is Pregnant With 2nd Child And Not Running This Year Yet another example of why you come to LetsRun.com each day. We broke this story 1/25/2013.
- Cheruyiot's Pregnancy Announcement Results In Kenyan Social Media Frenzy -
584 Comments On Her Facebook Page
- Previous:Vivian Cheruiyot Is Pregnant And Will Not Defend Her World Titles At Moscow 2013 "I am very happy to announce that I will take some time off from athletics this year as I am pregnant with my first
child. I have been running for many years and at 29 feel that now is the right time to start a family."
The Week That Was
LRC Mary Cain Rewrites The Record Books, German Fernandez & Robby Andrews Struggle, Molly Huddle Impresses, WADA Testing Alert, And Is Alan Webb Done? We offer some extra insight into last week's action at Oxy, Shanghai, Bay to Breakers (aka Ryan Hall's comeback) and more.
International News: Oscar P Won't Be Racing In 2013
- Oscar Pistorius Says He Won't Compete This Year As He Awaits Trial His agent says he received a number of invitations to meets, but is not yet mentally ready to start training and racing again.
- Good Read: UK Sprinter Dwain Chambers Training At Altitude In Chamonix, France, Where He Will Climb The 4,800m Mont Blanc At The End Of The Season For Charity He'll race against Christophe Lemaitre over 150m at Manchester City Games on Saturday.
- IOC Presidential Candidate Ng Ser Miang Says He Expects To See An Olympic Games In Africa During His Lifetime
- Newly Crowned SA 10k Road Champ Jeromy Andreas Says He Actually Doesn't Like Road Racing And Wants To Go To The Olympics On The Track In 2016
- A Lot Of UK Athletes Got The Standards For 2014 Commonwealth Games Over The Weekend
RR: T&F News Article On Bryshon Nellum's Long Road From Gunshot Victim In 2008 To Olympian (And 4 X 4 Silver Medalist) In 2012 Interesting to note that he made the Olympics last year after not even making the NCAA final.
- Mary Cain's Next Race Will Be In The Pre Classic 1,500
- Good Read: Arkansas' Chris Bucknam Talks About The Pressure Of Taking Over For Coaching Legend John McDonnell And His 40 Titles And The Relief He Felt When They Won Indoors This Year Talking about taking initially taking the job, he said, "It's one of the moments I thought, 'This is either the smartest move I'm ever going to make or the dumbest move I'm ever going to make.'"
- DeeDee Trotter Had NCAA Championship And Olympic Rings Stolen From Her House In A Burglary Earlier This Month Picture of rings here.
Next Weekend: NYC adidas GP *Win VIP Tickets
- LRC Win Upgraded VIP Tickets To The adidas Grand Prix (aka The Best Value In NYC Pro Sports) As part of their advertising package, the adidas Grand Prix gave us 2 Diamond Level VIP Tickets to the meet. And we're giving them to you. You're welcome. Instead of enjoying VIP perks, we'll be slaving away for you for free.
- 16-Year-Old Track Runner Who Spent 5 Months In The Hospital Recovering From Leukemia Is Going To NYC adidas GP As Part Of The Make-A-Wish Foundation He'll also get to meet his favorite athlete, Tyson Gay.
- Doha Destroyers Abeba Aregawi And Hagos Gebrhiwet Added To Fields At NYC adidas GP Gebrhiwet will line up in the 5,000 while Aregawi will take on 2008 Olympic 1,500 champion Nancy Langat in the 1,500. Previously announced in the 800, David Rudisha will take on Nick Willis, Erik Sowinski, Robby Andrews, former Olympic silver medalist Mbulaeni Mulaudzi and Brit Andrew Osagi.
- 9 More Olympic/World Champions Added To Fields Sanya Richards-Ross vs. Amantle Montsho and Christine Ohuruogu in the 400, Christian Taylor vs. UK's Phillips Idowu in the TJ, Reese Hoffa vs. Ryan Whiting in the SP and Tianna Madison vs. Kelly-Ann Baptiste in the 100.
- Veronica Campbell-Brown Leads "Parade Of Caribbean Stars" For adidas GP She'll be in the 200 Olympic bronze medalist (ranked #1 in 2012) Javier Culson will lead the 400H. Warren Weir, Nickel Ashmeade, almost-Bolt-slayer Kemar Bailey Cole will also compete.
- In The UK: Olympic Champs Allyson Felix And Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce Will Show Down Over 150m At Great CityGames Manchester On May 25th
US Pro News: Deena Kastor Going To Worlds
- Deena Kastor Will Lead US Team For World Marathon Champs USA 25k champ Dot McMahan and Twin Cities champ Jeannette Faber will join her in Moscow.
- Q&A With Gabriele Anderson About Her 10th Place Finish And 4:05.41 "A" Standard In The Doha 1,500
Our Weekly Recap - The Week That Was
LRC Is Tyson Gay Better Than Usain Bolt? Lawi Lalang The NCAA 1,500 Fav? Abbey D Does The 10k? Is Faith Kipyegon On Drugs? Is The PAC-12 > The SEC? This week we declare the US women's 1,500 medal chances are over unless your name is Jenny Simpson, anoint a new NCAA men's 1,500 favorite, try to move Abbey D'Agostino up to the 10k (or marathon), wonder if the PAC-12 is better than the SEC at track, ask if Kenyan star and Mary Cain slayer Faith Kipyegon is on drugs (not unless Alan Webb was), and give kudos to Brittney Reese, Garrett Heath, and the Dartmouth and Oregon State women.
Doping News - Smoke Up
- The World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) Has Announced A 10-Fold Increase In The Threshold Level For Marijuana Now you'll pretty much only get busted if you smoke a joint in competition, which is a good thing as marijuana isn't banned out of competition.
- Dick Pound: Anti-Doping Programs Are Failing And Drug Cheats Are Getting Away Scot Free Because Of A Lack Of Will
Gone Over The Weekend? 2013 IAAF Diamond League Started Friday *Results *Flash Photo Gallery
*IAAF Full Meet Recap
Men: LRC Men's 3,000: Hagos Gebrhiwet Makes A Statement With Impressive 3,000 Win - 18-Year-Old Phenom Seems To Be The Man To Beat In 2013 Mo Farah's probably going to be training a bit harder tomorrow after seeing this one as Ethiopia may soon have a third king in the Haile-Kenenisa line of rulers.
LRC Men's 800: David Rudisha Has To Work For It But He Opens 2013 Season With World-Leading 800 Win Rudisha put on a clinic on how to control an 800 from the front. The entire field was right behind him with 200 left but he closed faster than he did in London to win.
LRC Men's 1,500: Asbel Kiprop Is Back - Kenyan Dominates 2013 Diamond League Opener In Doha Kiprop may have flamed out at the Olympics but lots of people seem to have forgotten he was injured. He killed everyone in Doha.
*Johan Cronje Breaks South African 1,500 Record With 3:33.46 For 8th Place
Women: LRC Women's 1,500: Sweden's Abeba Aregawi Wins As Three Women Run 3:57.54 Or Better!!! In terms of quality, the women's 1,500 was race of the night. Coming into the race, only two clean women had run 3:57.54 or better in over a decade. Three did it in the season opener, including a new teen star from Kenya, Faith Kipyegon, who didn't even win. One other person who didn't win - a very happy American in Gabriele Anderson.
LRC Women's Steeple: Lydiah Chepkurui Pulls Off A Big Upset Five of the top six from the Olympics lined up but a non-Olympian got the win thanks to a 2:57 last 1k.
LRC The #1 Recruit In The Land Signs With ... New Mexico? The #1 recruit in the land has decided where he'll be running next year and coach Joe Franklin is a very happy man as a result. Whom do we consider to be the top recruit???
Think The Sub-2-Hour Marathon Is On The Horizon? Think Again
LRC The Myth Of The Sub-2-Hour Marathon The mainstream media thinks it may be close but in reality most people reading this will be dead when it happens.
*Science of Sport's Ross Tucker agrees: Pacing, fatigue and the brain. Lessons from London.
*MB: Sub 2 Hour Marathon Discussion: My Thoughts and Yours
Blue Collar / Inspirational Runner Of The Week
LRC Meet Conner Paez: "Please don't cut off my leg. Please just don't amputate my leg. I can't lose my leg. I need to run." Two years ago, Conner Paez was on top of the world as a freshman at the University of Pennsylvania (8:16, 14:18). Then his life turned in a second as he was broadsided by a car while on his motor bike. The injuries were bad, very bad. He almost lost his leg, then some toes. Doctors told him he'd never compete again. What's he doing this weekend? Competing again.
Learn From The Pros
LRC Ten Training Tips From Bernard Lagat, Dathan Ritzenhein And Abdi Abdirahman The American men took center stage at the NYC Half on Thursday. You can watch video interviews with the top American men (Lagat here, Ritz here and Abdi here) and we will have more on their race preparations on Friday, but in the meantime we compiled ten training tips from Bernard, Dathan, and Abdi that you can use in your own training.