NXN In The Books *Girls Results *Boys Results
Girls: Fayetteville XC Club Wins 7th Straight, Sarah Baxter Repeats Times were super slow
across the board because of the mud. 7 straight national titles is impressive. Alberto Salazar's athlete, Mary Cain, was 2nd. *Results *Race
*MileSplit Recap Alberto Salazar: "Sarah's a little better right now in cross-country. Mary let a gap occur ... she closed it up once, then again at the end, but it wasn't enough. She has to learn to stick with her when someone makes a move like that."
Boys: Arcadia Of California, Sam Wharton Of Ohio Win Titles The four individual favorites bombed. Edward Cheserek runs next week at Foot Locker finals. The winning time here because of the mud was 17:08. *Results *Race Replay *MileSplit Recap: Mud Leads To Upsets
Interviews: *Winner Sarah Baxter *Runner-Up Mary Cain *FM Girls Team *Boys Winner Sam Wharton *Arcadia Boys Team
*Andrew Wheating And Chris Solinsky Talk About Their Experience Commentating At NXN
Foot Locker: Marissa Williams And Benjamin Saarel Win 2012 Foot Locker West Regionals Recap and top results.
- On The Boards: Sarah Baxter just ran the wheels off of 411 1500m runner Mary Cain!
- 17:08? Sam Wharton? Get yourselves together, Nike
- Footlocker WEST
- MARY CAIN'S post NXN Interview was directed at Sarah Baxter and her fans!
Assorted US News
- Recommended Read: Two-Time Olympic 800m Medalist Kim Gallagher Remembered 10-Years After Her Death Great look at the life and career of Gallagher and her brother Bart who coached her.
- Ryan Hall Talks About Altitude Vs. Sea Level Training
- Salt Lake City To Announce Today Whether They Will Bid For 2026 Winter Olympics They hosted the 2002 Games amid a scandal where Salt Lake City officials offered cash, college tuition, medical-care payments, jobs, lodging, beds and bedding, bathroom fixtures, Indian rugs, draperies, doorknobs, dogs, leather boots and belts, perfume, Nintendo games, Lego toys, shotguns, a violin, and trips to ski resorts, a holiday in Las Vegas, and a Super Bowl in Miami to make sure they won their bid to host.
- Darvis “Doc” Patton Among New Additions To USATF Board Of Directors
Other US News
- Stephanie Hightower Reelected As USATF President She'll serve a second four-year term.
- RnR LA: RnR Las Vegas Marathon Is Down 14,000 Participants This Year Organizers claim it's not because of all the problems/complaints last year, but because the "novelty has worn off." After one year?
- USATF Jesse Owen Awards Ceremony To Be Broadcast On NBC Sports Network On December 27th From 7-8PM ET We struggle to get decent track coverage on TV, but we air the track and field award show?
- Sad News: Another One Bites The Dust: Georgia State Eliminates Men's XC And Track So they could add women's swimming and diving. They have notable alum in Commonwealth Games bronze medalist Andrew Letherby.
- Arizona's NCAA Runner-Up Stephen Sambu Says He Will Be Focusing On The Roads And The Marathon He recently set the CR at Silicon Valley 5k with 13:28 five days after NCAAs.
USATF Removes Logo Restrictions And Other US News
- USATF Has Removed Sponsor Logo Restrictions On Athlete Uniforms Blogger asks the question, "Okay, so now what?"
- RW Q&A With Ultra Runner Charlie Engle, Who Was Recently Released From Prison After 16 Months Due To Mortgage Fraud Engle: "I ran in the neighborhood of about 7,500 miles, in a circle. I changed directions, but that was it. The path had a small hill it. Going one way it had a short steep uphill, and a long, gradual downhill. Going the other way, it had a long uphill and short, steep downhill.
That was the extent of my choice."
*MB: Badwater runner Charlie Engle is out of prison *Some Stats On Engle
- WSJ: NYC Local Racing Events Find Themselves Overwhelmed By Demand Since The Cancellation Of The NYC Marathon Due To Hurricane Sandy
- USATF Spotlight On High Schooler Who's Racing Half Marathons In All 50 States To Raise Money For Charity He's run 33 so far and raised $35,000.
Some Post-London-Related News
- Kenyan Journalist Who Won IAAF World Journalist Of The Year Award Writes About His "Night Out With Bolt And Barcelona Stars" "Bolt definitely had a potent few drinks and his manager Simms politely requests that I don’t take photos of the legend in 'full party mode,' and I oblige. I soon understand why ..."
- We Disagree: NBC Wins Three Golds For London 2012 Coverage At Olympic Broadcast Awards We feel that the BBC's coverage was way better, however they only won one silver.
- UKA Chief Catches Flack For Saying Other GB Sports Such As Cycling, Rowing And Sailing Win More Medals Because Of Financial/Technological Advantages But he's right. There's way less competition in those sports than track. You don't see Kenyans and Ethiopians on $100,000 sailboats or $10,000 bikes.
- Long Article About Mo Farah With Him Talking About Winning Gold In London, Post-Olympics And The Eventual Move To The Roads "In road running you can have a bad patch and survive. On the track if you have a bad patch and let go of that group, you ain't coming back ... It's completely different. There's no hiding place. Eighty thousand people will see you have a bad day."
- UK 34-Year-Old 4 X 400 Relay Olympian Lee McConnell Says She's Not Ready To Retire But Won't Be Moving To New UKA Base In Loughborough
Drake Relays Gets Huge Sponsorship Boost
- Iowa-Based Supermarket Chain Hy-Vee Pledges More Than Half A Million Dollars Sponsorship Money For The Drake Relays There will be 16 current Olympic medalists and the meet will have $500,000 in prize money and also get 90 minutes in prime time on ESPN2.
- Des Moines Register: Drake Relays Will Stage "London Rematches" With Many London Olympic Medalists Pitted Against Each Other Again The 110H will have all three London medalists in Aries Merritt, Jason Richardson and Hansle Parchment.
- Dawn Harper Says Post-Olympics Feud With Lolo Jones Was Overblown "It was definitely blown up, because I actually cried about it. I was thinking to myself, 'I never meant any harm to anyone.'"
She'll race Kellie Wells At Drake.
Throwing Doping Updates
- Gotta Love Retests: Russia's World Discus Champ And Olympic Silver Medalist Darya Pishchalnikova Tests Positive When Her Sample From May Was Retested She could face a life ban since this is her second offence as she "was among seven leading female Russian athletes found guilty of manipulating drug samples before the 2008 Beijing Olympics."
- Great Q&A With Adam Nelson In Wake Of The News That He Could Be Elevated To 2004 Olympic Gold Due To Blood Sample Retests "My opinion, we're too soft on doping ... We find ourselves making exceptions for people - there's got to be some grey area where shit just happens. But at the end of the day I feel like we're making a lot of exceptions for people who are repeatedly violating the nature of the rule ... They're stealing from everyone in the sport. People like to say it's a victimless crime. Hell, no, it's not."
Millrose Games: Duane Solomon And Nick Symmonds To Go Head-To-Head In Millrose Games 600m They're shooting for the AR from 1987 of 1:15.80 held by Chip Jenkins.
- IAAF With Trinidad And Tobago's Javelin Olympic Champ Keshorn Walcott, Who Won The Rising Star Award He's the youngest ever Olympic javelin gold medallist and the first athlete to win World Junior and Olympic titles in an individual event the same year.
- Finally: Decision On Olympic Stadium Set To Be Made Next Week With Soccer Team West Ham The Likely Primary Tenants
- Notes From USATF In Daytona Beach, Florida With Statements Form Stephanie Hightower And Max Siegel
More About The Rock Being Thrown From Bridge Which Nearly Killed Two U. Oregon Runners
Oregon Runner Involved In Horrific Car Crash, Chris Brewer, Releases Statement - "I am just thankful that
and I are alright. It's really a miracle." "It was just a shock when it happened, like something you see in a movie."
*Track Focus Publishes Photo Of Oregon Runners' Car That Was Destroyed By Rock Thrown From Overpass
MB: Two Oregon Distance Runners Hit By Rock On Freeway
More News From Oregon: Galen Rupp Named USA Track & Field Athlete Of The Week
2012 Euro XC Is This Weekend
- Belgium's Ethiopian-Born Yeshe Bekele Ready To Defend His European XC Title This Weekend We think the 24-year-old has only run 13:43 and 29:47 on the track.
- Athletics: Irish Boss Confident Ill Stars Will Be Fit For Euros
The Closest Things To NYC 2012: CIM And Fukuoka Are This Weekend
Haile G Thinks He Can Run 2:05 Or 2:06 In Fukuoka This Weekend His last marathon was 2:08:17 in Tokyo in February, where he finished 27 seconds behind future Olympic champ Stephen Kiprotich.
*The Trailer Profiles 2:12 Man Jeffrey Eggleston, Who Is Racing His 5th Marathon Of 2012 At CIM This year, he ran a 2:15:41 in March, a 2:14:26 in May, a 2:13:13 in June and a 2:12:03 in October. Now he's going for the CIM CR of 2:10:27.
*Profile On US Marathoner Kelly Calway, Who Ran 2:37 At The Trials But Has Since Taken On A Full-Time Job For The Army, Which Has Made It Harder To Train For CIM "It takes a lot for me to escape for a run when my daughter says, 'You're only mommy on the weekends.' That breaks my heart. But I have to make sure I take that time for myself and get out there and run because that's what keeps me sane."
*Also Sunday: RnR Las Vegas Marathon Hires Outside Contractor To Distribute Water To Runners After Hundreds Were Infected With Stomach Virus After Last Year's Race
- WSJ: Another Scientific Study That Says Running Is Bad For You They say that running is healthy in the short term, but that chronically running too much or too fast (they say more than 20-25 miles a week or faster than 8 miles/hour) could eventually kill you. However, many disagree.
- Another Study Finds That Being Physically Fit Prevents Brain Atrophy And Wards Off Dementia So would you rather die a fit, fast and sane 80-year-old or live to be 90, fat, slow and losing your mind?
Odd But Interesting
- Did You Know?
At 1st World XC In 1973, Irish Protesters (Terrorists?) Stormed The Course, Tackled & Punched Runners Before Runners Punched Back & Kept Running Apparently they were upset there were two Irish teams.
- Japan Running News Head Brett Larner Is Irate That His Work Has Been Plagiarized By Flotrack LetsRun seems to be one of the few websites in the world that isn't afraid to properly attribute.
In Case You Were Gone Over the Weekend: IAAF Gala Awarding Athlete Of Year And Celebrating 100 Years Of IAAF
Usain Bolt, Allyson Felix: 2012 IAAF Athletes Of The Year Bolt won out over Aries Merritt and David Rudisha and of course Mo Farah (who was not a finalist, which means he didn't finish in the top 3). Jessica Ennis and Valerie Adams were the other women's finalists. LRC cast its ballot for Rudisha and Felix. The IAAF should release the vote tallies.
- Rudisha Says He Thought He Could Have Run 1:40.50 This Year
- No Long Jump, 400m For Bolt In 2013
- Tirunesh Dibaba Says She No Longer Thinks of Breaking 10k World Record
- Aries Merritt Has Changed His Pin Codes Hoping To Go Sub-12.80
- World Champs Stadium Seating In Moscow Will Be Diminished From 80,000 To 50,000
Thanksgiving Day Action
And To Think, Unlike Lance, He's Actually Clean
Unbelievable 4 Months After Nearly Dying In Bike Crash, Lukas V Runs 5:25 Pace For 2.5 Miles The phenom who went sub-4 in HS is truly thankful to be second in his age group. *MB Thread On Lukas V's Comeback
Chiba Ekiden: Galen Rupp Wins His Leg With 28:20 10k Split (28:46 Was 2nd) As Kenya Edges Japan The most impressive running by a male may have come from New Zealand's Zane Robertson, who ran 13:29 on leg #1. His twin Jake also won his leg. *MB: On Chiba Ekiden
The Greatest Feat In HS XC History?
Recommended Read: With State Meet Saturday, NJ MOC Wednesday & NXN Saturday, CBA Sits Top 5 - Runs JV - And Still Wins New Jersey Meet Of Champs Three sophomores, two freshman, a junior and a senior pulled off one of the most remarkable feats in HS XC history.
This Bud's Not For You
Man Who Threw Heineken Bottle At Start Of Olympic 100m Final Is Out Of Mental Hospital & Will Stand Trial In January
34-Year-Old Father Admits He Threw It But Is Denying Charge - Only Question Is His Mental State At Time
We Are Thankful For The Many Great Coaches Out There
Recommended Read: Famed Coach Bill Squires Is Turning 80 & Toni Reavis Celebrates His Life Squires is a legend to many. Squires: "Oh, I can figure out anyone. I
figured out Shorter. I know your tendencies. I know what you do. And all you have to do is put it into reading, or whatever, and I
can do - I can!"
Jessica Ennis' Coach Is Thankful For Jessica Ennis
RR: Profile Of Toni Minichiello, The Man Who Coached Jessica Ennis To Olympic Gold We love this guy's humility. "I don't have a magic wand like Harry Potter. The truth is, as a coach you're only as good as the material you're given. The day I met Jessica Ennis it was like being dealt four aces in a hand of poker." and on having to re-apply for his job: "If I don't get my old job back I'll just have to go back to an office and come down here coaching as a volunteer. Im not giving this up now."'
*Minichiello Named UK Athletics Coach Of The Year
Yet Another Great Dies Too Young
Former 10k WR Holder Joseph Kimani Has Died At Age 40 The former road superstar
took down the world's best in the
10k by a ridiculous 30 seconds in the summer of 1996 as he ran a still unthinkable 27:04 at Peachtree. He won
virtually every big road race in the US at least once, also set a 12k WR, and is still the CR holder at Boilermaker.
More: *LRC MB Remembrances of Kimani
*RRW Article On Kimani
US News: Lolo Jones Wins Bobsled World Cup Silver Medal
- Lolo Jones' Team Wins Silver At Bobsled World Cup Tianna Madison and her partner took bronze. Jones said, "I'm kind of in shock."
*Videos Of Lolo Jones And Tianna Madison In Bobsled Action
Post-Collegiate XC News Never Gets Old In Our Minds *LRC Photo Gallery *Banquet Photos *Men's Results *Women's Results *LRC Women's Recap *LRC Men's Recap *LRC M Individual Recap
1st Place Pub:
*Great Q&A With OK State's 13:15 #2 Man Tom Farrell He admits #1 man Girma Mecheso ran more aggressively than planned. Farrell has his own blog here, which we just found.
*After XC Crown, Oregon Women Are Dreaming Of Becoming First Women's Program To Win Triple Crown Only the UTEP men (3 times) and Arkansas men (5 times) have ever done it.
*Kithuka Embraced Underdog Role At NCAAs The article reveals what we'd heard - TTech coach Jon Murray IDed Kithuka 5 years ago in Kenya and had him placed at Wayland Bapist.
Previous Post-NCAAs Reactions
*Wisco Men Not Upset With 2nd
*OSU's 5th Man Shane Moskowitz: "It was definitely the best day of my life. For sure."
*ISU's Corey Ihmels Full Of Praise For Indivual Champ Betsy Saina: "Her life revolves around being as good as she can be and it showed ... She's a great athlete but she's just as great of a person."
*Colorado Women Had Worst Showing In School History (28th) - But Coach Wetmore Is Excited As Everyone Returns For 2012 Included in the returners is Olympian Shalaya Kipp, who will be looking to become Colorado's 1st 4-time XC women's All-American.
*NCAA Cross-Country Champs Stat Facts
Mixed Day For FSU: FSU's #1-Ranked Women Finish 4th But #18 Men Finish 5th
Oregon Reacts Differently To Scoring Mishap:
*Oregon's Asst. Coach: "That was bush league. I had to walk back into a tent and tell seven girls that they didn't win."
*Oregon Runner: "It was kind of a shock when they said we didn't win, but now, we're good."
Recommended Read: Toni Reavis Fondly Remembers The Great Joseph Kimani Especially Kimani's amazing CR run in Cleveland, where Kimani ran so fast that Reavis while doing TV thought the mile markers were likely misplaced.
NCAAs Are In The Books *Men's Results *Women's Results *LRC Photo Gallery updated 258 photos *Live Thread
LRC Oregon Wins NCAA Title As Betsy Saina Outkicks Hasay Confusion reigned supreme
with the team results as Oregon was the winner, then Providence, but eventually
once it was all sorted out the Oregon Ducks had a convincing NCAA championship over Providence. There was no confusion on the individual side as Betsy Saina outkicked Jordan Hasay and Abbey D'Agostino for the win.
*Full Results *Photo Gallery
NCAAs On The Boards:
- Kennedy Kithuka What's His Story
- Jordan Hasay Even Though She Lost I Commend Her
- Congrats to Oklahoma State and Dave Smith
- Who is the most successful US runner to never win an NCAA title?
- So WTF happened what was the offical word on the Women race
- Biggest Chokes at NCAA XC Nationals
- People who think this isnt bad for the sport are in flat out DENIAL
Weekend Results: Fukuoka Marathon: Results *Cal International: Flash Results *RnR LA Results Here
- Fukuoka: Joseph Gitau Is The Surprise Winner In Fukuoka In 2:06:58 Hiroyuki Horibata was the top Japanese runner in 2:08:24 as Poland's Henryk Szost was 3rd (2:08:42), Arata Fujiwara 4th and
the topsecond Japanese (2:09:31), and Yuki Kawauchi 6th (2:10:29). Mohamed Trafeh led for the US in 7th (2:11:41) over Ryan Vail (8th - 2:11:45) and Tim Nelson 12th (2:14:09). Haile Gebrselassie, Simon Bairu, Martin Mathathi and Brent Vaughn were all DNFs. *Full Results
- Haile G Tweets About His DNF At Fukuoka He says he had a leg cramp and couldn't lift it. But he'll be looking for another marathon to run because he feels he's in "good shape."
- IAAF Recap Gitau was a huge surprise winner has his PR before this race was 2:21:54. Geb dropped out at 32k while Mathathi made it to 38k.
- MB: Mo Trafeh, Ryan Vail 2:11:4x at Fukuoka *Official
Fukuoka Marathon thread along with working link *Coach Jerry
fails in Marathon again
- CIM: Daniel Tapia And Alisha Williams Win CIM In Horrible Wet And Windy Conditions Tapia is the first American winner since 1993 and won with 2:16:30 over Tesfaye Alemayehu (2:17:07). 2:11 man Nick Arciniaga was 5th in 2:18:37. In the women's race Williams beat out Clara Peterson 2:34:58 to 2:35:36. *Full Results
- Video Interview With Danny Tapia *Interview With Alisha Williams She thanks the "awesome guys" who let her and Peterson sit behind them for large portions of the race.
- MB: **OFFICIAL
CIM THREAD** *CIM - 35 mph
- Dutch 15k: Geoffrey Mutai Sets CR At Heereenberg 15k In The Netherlands With 42:25 (4:33/ Mile Pace) Mutai beat a deep field including Philip Langat (a close 2nd in 42:26), 2:04:50 man Getu Feleke (3rd) and 2:04:16 marathoner David Kimetto (6th). Ethiopian Atsede Baysa won the women's race in 49:15.
*Good Race Video Of Geoffrey Mutai Winning Netherlands 15k (Commentary In Dutch) Skip to 2:29 into video for race coverage.
- Kenya: Wareng Tuskys Cross-Country In Eldoret: 2010 World XC Jr. 8th Placer Gideon Kipketer And Stacy Ndiwa Get Their First Senior Victories It was a fairly credentialed men's field which included reigning African XC champ Clement Langat (2nd), 2007 World Cross silver medalist Bernard Kipyego (6th) and 2010 World XC champ Joseph Ebuya (way back).
- Former Women's World Marathon Record Holder Tegla Loroupe And Daniel Komen Among Organizers Of Safaricom Tegla Loroupe Peace Race To Promote Peace Between Warring Communities Samuel Macharia just edged John Keter in the men's 10K race as Catherine Moses won the women's 5k.
- Singapore: Kenyans Kennedy Kiptoo Lilan And Irene Jerotich Kosgei Win Singapore Marathon In 2:17:21 And 2:37:54 Respectively Both races were close, with Kiptoo winning by only 5 seconds over Luke Kibet and Kosgei by 3 seconds over Flomena Cheyech Daniel.
- Jamaica: Jamaican Reggae Marathon Won In 2:35 For Men, 3:09 For Women
Random International Stuff
- Semi-Comical Video Interview With Jake And Zane Robertson
*2nd Video Interview
- Kenyan Steepler Paul Kipsiele Koech Honored For His Charity Work With Corporate Social Responsibility Award
- India In Danger Of Being Suspended By IOC Due To Corruption In Indian Olympic Association Elections
- Lolo Isn't The Only One: Former Double World 400m Hurdle Champ Jana Pittman Trying To Make Australia Bobsled Team For 2014 Games
- Cycling: Former 3-Time Tour De France Winner Greg LeMond Calls For UCI To Be Stripped Of Doping Control Responsibilities
International News Of Note
- Recommended Read: Update On Twin NZ Runners Jake And Zane Robertson, Who Moved To Kenya On Their Own At 17 Years Old To Pursue Their Running Dreams Zane: "Without Jake I wouldn't have survived. I would have given up. Having each other, when the other one was sick or down, you raise him up. In the concrete cell that kept us going. ... I'm so thankful we went through those hardships for one or two years, because going through them, the way Kenyans do, if you survive you can go through anything."
- NZ Questioning Why The Delay Over Reviewing The Ban Of Disgraced Olympic Shot Putter Nadzeya Ostapchuk Belarus only gave her a one-year ban, so hypothetically she could compete in Moscow 2013 if IAAF doesn't step in and do something.
- David Rudisha Named Athletics Kenya Athlete Of The Year
- Jamaican Sub-10 Sprinter Michael Frater's Election To Vice President Post Of Jamaica Athletics Administrative Association Complicates His Status With MVP Track Club Head coach Stephen Francis has a problem with it because he says the JAAA is out to "sabotage" them.
- Ireland Hoping That Their Prep Star Sarah McCarthy Could One Day Be The Next Jessica Ennis
- 101-Year-Old Marathoner Fauja Singh Running Singapore Half Marathon Show this one to the scientists featured in the WSJ who said running too much will eventually kill you.
Fukuoka/CIM Pre-Race News
- Fukuoka: Japan Running News Fukuoka Marathon Preview The field features Haile Gebrselassie, the debut of Martin Mathathi, and many runners from cancelled NYC, including Scott Overall and Simon Bairu. Americans include Ryan Vail, Mohamed Trafeh (will he finish?), Brent Vaughn, Tim Nelson and Ryan Bak. The race also serves as a selection race for Japan's
World Champs team and
could lead to a showdown between Olympian Arata Fujiwara and LRC civil servant hero Yuki Kawauchi.
*IAAF: Haile G's First Marathon In Almost A Year And Martin Mathathi's Debut The Focus In Fukuoka
- Fukuoka Pre-Race Press Conference: Yuki Kawauchi And Arata Fujiwara Fire Shots At Each Other Before They Duke It Out For Japan World Champs Team Spot Kawauchi: "I have no intention of losing. When [Arata and I] trained together I didn't see anything that made me feel he's any better than me."
- CIM: Wet And Windy Weather In The Forecast For Cal International Marathon Tomorrow
- Scottish McMillan Runner Andrew Lemoncello Motivated By Impending Fatherhood As He Races CIM Tomorrow After Coming Back From Injury He's off UK lottery funding, so there is some pressure to perform.
Doping News: Kenya Not Doing Anything About Investigating German Journalist's Allegations
- WADA Frustrated As Kenya Sport Authorities Stall On Promises To Investigate Doping Allegations Made Against Kenya Runners But AK chairman Isaiah Kiplagat has already said, "It's not possible to beat Kenyans who train even ten times a day as compared to other foreign athletes who train once a day ... We have nothing to do with drugs we simply work hard. For the doubting Thomases, you can look at Kenya's athletic performance since 1960s before making malicious conclusions." That's really not good enough for WADA?
- Former Olympic Hurdle Champion Sally Gunnell Believe Four-Year Doping Bans Aren't Enough "I've always had strong views about a life ban. I think the two years was never deterring enough. People think it's worth the gamble because they'll only miss the two years and can come back ... in those two years they can go away, train hard and come back out a better athlete."
- World XC Champ Imane Merga & World 5,000 Silver Medalist Sylvia Kibet Headline BOClassic 10k/5k In Bolzano, Italy On New Year's Eve IAAF
- Minimalism To The Max: NZ Court Rules That "Naturalist" Runner Is Allowed To Run Nude
- Comrades Marathon Fills Up With 18,000 Entries
Previous CIM/Fukuoka News
- Fukuoka: Martin Lel Withdraws From Fukuoka Due To Injury
- Ridiculous: Yuki Kawauchi Will Race Hofu Yomiuri Marathon 14 Days After Fukuoka Last year he ran 2:09:57 for 3rd in Fukuoka and then 2:12:33 for 3nd in Hofu.
- RR: Interesting Q&A With Japan's Arata Fujiwara On How He Has Essentially Crammed All His Training For Fukuoka In Over The Last Month "I think the way I train is outside common sense. It's really chaotic and mixed-up. I'm doing some kind of workout (the kind of high-intensity training normally done two or three times a week) probably every day ... When there's not enough time to get ready for a race and I'm standing there with my back against the wall thinking, "Oh man, this looks bad ..." and I'm forced to make radical changes to the way I train ... that's when I tend to get my best results."
- CIM: Q&A With Olympic Marathon Trials 14th Placer And 10k Trails 5th Placer Alisha Williams Ahead Of Cal International Marathon She ran 2:35:09 in her debut at the Trials.
- Clara Peterson Will Be Running Her Second Marathon At CIM After Debuting At The Trials With 2:35:50 (16th Place), Only 8 Months After Giving Birth She's coached by 2008 Olympic marathoner Magdalena Lewy-Boulet.
- Nick Arciniaga Says He "Screwed Himself Over Dietarily" When He DNFed In The Hot Boston Marathon After Taking Too Much Fluids In The First 15k After Boston, he really wants a good one from CIM and says he'd like to get the 2:10 CR, but the time is secondary to winning.
*With NYC Cancelled, 2:11 Man Nick Arciniaga Is Running Cal International This Weekend Along With Alisha Williams Arciniaga wasn't feeling good about his prospects until he did a 29:29/14:39 Tukey Trot double.
Random But Interesting
- RW Article Rebutting Claims Made By WSJ Article That Running Too Far/Fast Will Eventually Kill You Basically the WSJ article is mostly BS. Keep running.
*MB: Wall St. Journal says running 20+ mpw is detrimental to one's health
- Oklahoma Woman Attacked By Raccoon During Run
- Lebanese Inventor Designs Human Hampster Wheel For Energy It's exactly how it sounds.
Can You Say P-L-A-C-E-B-O? Kinesio Taping Doesn't Improve Blood Flow
Lance Armstrong News
- IOC Board Member Says Lance Armstrong Should Be Stripped Of His Olympic Bronze Medal Even Though Technically The IOC Does Not Have The Right To Take It Away
- Gym In Lance Armstrong's Home Town Erases His Name, Pretends He Never Existed A gym in Colorado is also taking down his name.
- Proof That Hollywood Has No Morals
Backers Say Lance Armstrong Movie Is Still Full Steam Ahead and Will Be Made
*Matt Damon On Lance Armstrong: "I love the guy."
News From The UK
- RR: Depating Coach Charles van Commenee Talks About His Legacy: "I got rid of cynicism in UK athletics." "People have high expectations. The athletes understand there is no place for excuse."
- van Commennee Talks About Phillips Idowu "But people who do not want to be happy, you cannot help. As a leader you cannot help people who are self-destructive either ... I think I've said enough."
- van Commennee Says His Successors Will Have It "Very Easy" Thanks To His Great Work
- UK Cycling (Which Track Is Trying To Copy) Not Sure If New Training Center In Loughborough Will Work For Track "You've got such a diverse set of events, do you need your pole vaulter with your hammer thrower? Who knows? It's not for us to tell athletics what to do."
- Seb Coe Joins Britian's Top Politicians In Urging Prime Minister David Cameron Against Imposing Any State Regulation On Newspapers
- Jessica Ennis' Coach Says She Can Win Two More Olympic Golds
- After Injury Plagued 2012, Steph Twell Will Be Patient In Comeback In 2013 - Goal Is 2014 Commonwealths In Scotland She had all of the metal pins and plates taken out of her leg and is very happy with the decision.
5 Silvers Is Way Too Many; Let's Hope He Gets Olympic Gold #1
MB 2004 Olympic Shot Put Champ Yuriy Bilonoh Has Tested Positive In IOC's Re-Test Of 2004 Olympic Samples - Adam Nelson May Be Elevated To Olympic Gold
When Nelson failed
to make the Olympic team in June, we assumed the two-time Olympic silver medallist would never realize his dream of Olympic gold since he's 37. We guess we were wrong.
*If Nelson Gets SP Gold, He'll Be The First Ivy League Olympic Champion Since Frank Shorter
*Russian Shot Putter Svetlana Krivelyova Among Athletes Whose 2004 Olympic Samples Tested Positive; She Could Now Lose Her Bronze Medal Krivelyova: "I'll just tell them to go to hell If they come and ask for my medal ... I'm not going to give my medal back. You can count on it."
*IOC To Hold Hearings Early Next Month For 5 Busted In 2004 Re-Tests - US's Adam Nelson May Be Elevated To Gold
Future Legend? Yohan Blake Explains His Really Gross Long Nails He says it's all "part of the Beast look."
Say It Ain't So
Paula Radcliffe Admits Foot Injury May Have Ended Her Career As An Elite Runner For Good
Her most recent surgery
resulted in 10 weeks of total immobilisation and
the rehab may take 8 months, so 2013 Worlds is out. But she's not a quitter and she's hoping London 2014 is in and then the Commonwealths.
*Just To Run With My Kids Would Be Enough, Admits Radcliffe After Triple Operation
- More Updated News From The UK:
- IAAF Profile UK's World Jr. Heptathlon Champion Katarina Johnson-Thompson Who Came Back From A 2-Year Knee Injury To Win WJ's & Place 15th In London "It made getting to the Olympic Games all the sweeter - I never took making the Games for granted, it was a dream I had but it was more for the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio, but with it being in London, I put my heart and soul into qualifying for it."
- British Cycling Head Warns UK Athletics That Their New Loughborough Base Might Have Some Pitfalls Many of the top athletes such as Jessica Ennis, Mo Farah, Greg Rutherford, Christine Ohuruogu and Adam Gemili won't actually be training there.
- New UK Athletics Performance Director Neil Black Names 5 Coaches To Be Based At Elite Loughborough Hub As Part Of Restructuring Plans Americans Rana Reider and Terrence Mahon make the cut.
- Trying To Copy UK Cycling, UK Sport Invests £720,000 In Team GB Coaches To Boost 2016 Olympic Hopes To get cycling's success, they'll have to get rid of the worldwide competition found in track and field. It helps a great deal when whole continents don't really do your sport.
- UK Sport To Pay Each Coach £20,000 Per Person Per Year In Effort To Turn Those Selected Into Future Leaders In Their Disciplines UK Athletics to pay more after that.
Love For DIII And An "Overaged" Collegian - DIII Women's National Champ Is A 27-Year-Old Mother Of Two
27-Year-Old Mother Of Two & DIII National Cross-Country Champion, Christy Cazzola, Named USATF Athlete Of The Week
*Nov 17: Mike Woods Column: In life and running, Cazzola staying ahead
*Running Times Profile Of Cazzola From Sept. Cazzola was a the Wisconsin 800 state champ in 9th grader in 2000 and then walked away form it all and had a kid. She ran the 2008 XC nats while pregnant with kid #2.
*Mike Woods DIII Race Story On Cazzola: Cazzola Wins DIII Title
*2012 NCAA XC D3 Photo Gallery
Track And Field's Male Fans Are Thankful For This
Fit Again & Recovered From Achilles Surgery & Bacterial Infection, Blanka Vlasic Is Ready To Compete Again
Ladies 2012 New York City Marathon - Or At Least As Close As We Are Going To Get To It
Yokohama: Lydia Cheromei Wins With 2:23:07 CR As Kim Smith (2:27:35), Amy Hastings (DNF) And Jo Pavey (DNF) Disappoint Smith's PR remains 2:25:21 from her debut in London
2010. Her teammate Amy Hastings was a DNF. Serena Burla was 11th. MB: Live
Thread on Yokohama Non-NCAA Weekend News
JRN Recap: Mizuho Nasukawa Was Top Japanese In 2:26:42
*Kiwi Kim Smith Finishes Sixth
Pre-Race: Pavey Was Adamant She Could PR (2:28:24)
Seven Hills Loop 15k: MB: Tirunesh Dibaba Destroys Olympic Marathon Champ Tiki Gelana - 47:08 To 48:09 - At Seven Hills Loop 15km *Video Highlights In Dutch
*IAAF Recap: Nicholas Kipkemboi Upset Men's 15k WR Holder Leonard Komon In Men's Race
Recommended Reads And Seb Coe News
- Recommended Read: Having Recently Won $500,000 WMM Title, Geoffrey Mutai Hasn't Forgot His Poor Upbringing & Remembers How He Borrowed Money To Run 2007 Kass Marathon This year's edition of the race is this year and Mutai says the winner will be able to get top 3 in Boston.
- Recommended Read: Brothers Futsum Zienasellassie And Bahlbi Gebreyohanns Talk About Being Separated & Now Reunited Again At NAU
Deal Of The Day: 40% Off At Puma
Ridiculous: Belgium's 2011 SPAR Euro XC Champ Atelaw Bekele To Defend His Title Despite A Doping Violation Do To Missing Three Out-Of-Competition Tests His trial is December 17, about a week after European Champs.
NZ Twins Jake And Zane Robertson *2nd Video
Euro XC Champs Next Weekend
- Ukraine's 37-Year-Old Cross Country Specialist Sergiy Lebid Shooting For A Very Impressive 10th SPAR Euro XC Title On December 9th
- Spain's Ayad Lamdassem Looking To Finally Win Euro XC Champs After Finishing Runner-Up The Last Two Years
- Good Read: RunBlogRun Asks What Lies Ahead For Jordan Hasay? "There is an unspoken uneasiness around the fact that Hasay's phenomenal record as a young high schooler is not being fully replicated at the collegiate level ... Hasay's impressive record while at Oregon is nonetheless viewed by some as falling somewhat short of what might have been expected from an athlete who totally dominated her events as a prep."
- University Of Texas Officials Were Planning A Pay Raise For Women's Track Coach Beverly Kearney Before She Was Abruptly Suspended Her current contract includes a base salary of about $270,000 plus incentives ... school officials were considering making it $475,000 in minimum salary plus bonuses by 2017.
- Rutgers University Added To List Of Schools To Cut Ties With Adidas Because Of Their Overseas Labor Practices The University of Washington, Cornell University and Oberlin College have also cut ties.
- Iowa State's Betsy Saina Receives Honda Sports Award For Cross-Country
Our Weekly Analysis Returns At Last
LRC The 2012 NCAA Cross-Country Championships That Were We bring back our weekly recap by looking back two weeks to the 2012 NCAA Cross-Country Championships. We start by praising the UConn women, Jordan Hasay, Abbey D'Agostino and ourselves before telling who flopped (Iona/Stanford), comparing Vin Lananna and Martin Smith, and telling you who the favorite is for 2013. Along the way, we crush the dreams of all college runners by telling them they likely won't improve (much) after their sophomore year before ending with talk about unbreakable women's world records.
IAAF Gala Photos: The Stars Of Track And Field Are Beautiful People
Foot Locker NE Photos
2012 Canadian XC Highlights - Men
2012 Canadian XC Highlights - Women
Thanksgiving Day Action
Manchester: Aaron Braun Equals Course Record & Wins 2012 Manchester Road Race
Delilah DiCrescenzo Comes From Behind & Guns Down Lisa Uhl To Win 2012 Manchester Road Race Down with 400 to go, Delilah got the win as Amby Burfoot finished for the 50th straight year.
Silicon Valley: Sambu (13:28) & Kim Conley (15:40) Break Silicon Valley CRs *MB: Discuss
*Manchester Road Race results ... Top 25 Aaron Braun and Hey Delilah were the winners. *Thread Discussing Race Here
*Alan Webb 23:10 8k On Thanksgiving Morning
NCAA Cross Photo Galleries (Captions Now Added)
Beautiful People: NCAA Banquet Photos (Click On Photo)
Naked D3 Nationals Photo Gallery
D3 Beautiful People: NCAA Banquet Photos (Click On Photo)
NCAAs *Men's Results *Women's Results *LRC Photo Gallery updated 258 photos
LRC Oklahoma State Makes It Three Titles In Four Years Team Recap Wisconsin had 3 runners in before
OSU, but Oklahoma State was much better at 4 and 5. OSU was led by Girma Mecheso, who was the top American in fifth (learn about his incredible life story here).
LRC Texas Tech's Kennedy Kithuka Makes It Look Easy Over Lawi Lalang & Stephen Sambu Lawi Lalang had all the attention coming in, but Kennedy Kithuka dispatched him with ease. Only one American in the top 10. Read all about it.
RRW: After Delay, Oregon & Oklahoma State Declared 2012 NCAA Cross-Country Champions
Outside Coverage Of NCAAs:
- At Least He Got To Fly Private: Miles Unterreiner Pulls Hamstring At NCAAs, Does Not Win Rhodes Scholarship
- Mark Wetmore: "I said before the meet that I thought that Oklahoma State was a head taller than everybody else and they proved that today."
- Kennedy Kithuka: "Once the race started, I knew I was ready to go. It was just a great race."
- Guaranteed To Win Next Year? AP Incorrectly Reports: Oklahoma State Wins 4th Title In 5 Years
LSU Women Lose Their Outdoor National Title
Oregon Women Win NCAA Title ... In Outdoor Track LSU has been forced to "vacate" their national title after sprinter Semoy Hackett tested positive for a banned stimulant.
*TrackFocus Article The Oregon women have placed second at the NCAA meet four years in a row ... so we guess this breaks the streak.
Has This Been Alberto Certified?
Mo Farah To Face Other British Gold Medallists In Superstars Competition Sounds like fun as they'll do races over 100m and 800m, archery, javelin, a 50m swim, a kayak race, a cycling hill climb and the challenges in the gym tests.
*MB Archive: Superstars Competition half-mile run record is 1:57.36?
*MB Archive: 1981 Superstars Half Mile
New Scientific Study Says Ice Baths Don't Actually Help Athletes With Recovery After Exercises Yeah, and there are also studies which say you're less likely to be injured if you run on the hard pavement instead of soft trails.
More On Athlete Contracts: LRC Jesse Williams Of Brooks Sports: Brooks Shoe Contracts Don't Have Reduction Clauses
Field Event News
- Former HJ World Champ (2003) Jacques Freitag Arrested After Running Red Light - Had Drug "Cat" On Him He is one of only 8 people to ever win world championships at youth, junior and senior levels.