Zagreb And Roverto *Zagreb Results *Roverto
- LRC Taoufik Makhloufi Comes Up Short In Quest For World Lead - Wins 1,500 in 3:32.53 The Olympic champ was way better than everyone in the field but was unable to win the battle with the clock as the second rabbit only got him to 1200 in 2:50.
Andrew Wheating was in the race and went for it as well but faltered at the end. Maggie Vessey and Brenda Martinez certainly didn't falter at all as they had great days + Duane Solomon in the 400m. *1500m Race Video *IAAF *LRC Zagreb Preview
*List Of US Performances Carmelita Jeter, Ginnie Crawford, Jason Richardson, Ryan Bailey, Maggie Vessey, Allyson Felix, and Reese Hoffa all won their events.
- Roverto Distance Results: Jenny Simpson Gets 2nd In 1500 With 4:04.07 As Kenyans Mary Kuria (4:03.18) And Eunice Sum (4:05.85) Take 1-3 Hayle Ibrahimov Aze won the 5000 in 13:11.34 as Andrew Bumbalough was 2nd (13:28.34), Elliott Heath was 10th (13:44.05) and Bobby Curtis was 13th (13:46.30). Kenyan junior Edwin Meli won the 800 in 1:45.01.
*IAAF Full Meet Recap *Full Results
- If You Missed This: U.S. Women’s Mountain Running Team Won Gold at World Mountain Running Champions Morgan Arritola led with a 3rd place finish. *IAAF
Today's Oscar P/Paralympic Updates
- IPC Won't Punish Oscar P Over His Post-200 Blade Length Comments Why would they? Way more controversial things were said by athletes after the women's 1500 at the Olympics.
- IPC Spokesman On Pistorius Issue: "Serious sport has big controversies ... This debate shows how seriously we want to be taken."
- GB Paralympic Great Thinks Latest Oscar P Controversey Will Reignite The Debate On Whether Or Not He Should Be Allowed In Able-Bodied Competitions
- Paralympic Sprinter Thinks Blades Do Give Athletes An Advantage And Oscar P Shouldn't Have Ran In The Olympics We agree.
- Did Pistorius's Outburst Destroy His Brand? He definitely didn't help it.
- Oscar P A Long Shot To Defend His 100m Gold From Beijing
- Dated Oscar P Interview: He's Ok With The Nickname "Blade Runner" But Not "Fastest Man On No Legs"
Non-Oscar P News:
- Kenyans Rack Up More Paralympic Distance Medals Led By Abraham Tarbei With A WR In The T46 1500 In the T13 1500 Kenya’s team captain Henry Kirwa failed to defend his title, but was 5th with a 3:53.55 PB.
- James Boit Is A Guid To Paralympic 1500 Champ Samwel Muchai And Says Training With Him Has Changed His Life This is the perfect job for second tier Kenyans who can't compete internationally. Kenyan Paralympians are still very fast and need to find guides who are faster. Boit has 3:44PR (13 seconds faster than Muchai's WR) and since he lead Muchai (literally) to a gold medal he gets a $23,600 bonus.
- Armless Archer Matt Stutzman Wins Silver
- QUIET!!! The Entire Olympic Stadium Must Be Silent For The Paralympic Blind LJ Competition Since The Athletes Rely On Coaches Instructions So They Know When To Jump
- Jamaican Paralympic Jav Thrower Was On Her Way To Becoming A Professional Cricket Player When She Was Caught In A Gunman Attack And Paralyzed
- France's Assia El Hannouni Defends Her Paralympic 400 Title For 3rd Time
Padua And Other Weekend Results
- Padua Highlights: Jason Richarson Wins 110H, Nesta Carter Beat Trell Kimmons In The 100 Jeff Riseley won the 800 in 1:46.38 over Qatar's Mohamed Garni (1:46.63). Russian Yelena Kofanova won the w800 in 2:00.93 over Kenyan Eunice Sum; GB's Hannah England was 3rd (2:01.63). Russian LJer Darya Klishina beat US's Chelsea Hayes.
*EA Recap: Jamaica's Anneisha McLaughlin Beat Jeneba Tarmoh In The 200
- Sweden Vs. Finland Dual Meet: Recap Of 'The Finnkampen: Swedish Men, Finnish Women Win; Carolina Klüft Retires Carolina Klüft helped Sweden win the 4 x 4 in her last-ever competition. *EA Recap
- Mexican Runner Dies After Finishing Sunday's Mexico City Marathon The race was won by Kenyan Peter Lemayian Knaya; Ethiopia's Amare Shewarge Alene won for the women.
The Olympics Lasted 17 Days But Will Give Us Stuff To Write About For Months
- No, We're Not Joking: Mo Farah's Post-Race Ice Bath Water For Sale On eBay Item Description: Buy at own risk.This is only water that I hope to have been scooped out of Mo Farah's ice bath and placed into this water bottle after his 2012 olympic win. Impossible to authenticate buy at own risk. Their was ice in the bottle but it has melted. My apologizes :(
- Mo Farah Shows Off His Twin Baby Girls Apparently he and his wife were worried she'd go into labor during the Games, but they had agreed to keep the news from Mo if she did.
- Q&A With Morgan Uceny, Who's Moving On After Olympic Disappointment
- Did The Olympics Inspire You To Start Running Or Run More? Watch Out For Tendonitis Just remember RICE: rest, ice, compression & elevation.
- Deadline Has Passed For Disgraced Shot Putter Nazeya Ostapchuk To Appeal Her Positive Drug Test At this point, it doesn't look like she went through with an appeal, but Valerie Adams hasn't heard official word.
- Jamaican Blogger Argues For Why Asafa Powell Should Undergo Groin Surgery Using Tyson Gay As A Success Story Powell has previously stated that he refuses to go under the knife when it's possible it might not even help.
- In Addition To Stadium Named For Him, Kirani James Gets $222,222 And A Commemorative Stamp Published In His Honor
- Stephen Kiprotich Talks About His Path To London And His Future
Patrick Makau Loses A 10 Miler, And Other Weekend Results
- Tilburg 10 Mile And Women's 10k: Patrick Makau Takes 3rd (45:41) In A Close Race As Pius Kiprop Wins In 45:38 Over John Mwangangi (45:40) Gladys Cherono won the 10k in 30:57 over Emily Chebet (30:58) and Joyce Chepkirui (31:10). Linet Masai was 4th.
- Sweden's Carolina Kluft Has Her Last Competition And Retires "It's sad, wonderful, somber, fantastically fun, and also nice."
- Tyler McCandless Repeats As Kaui Marathon Champion
- Nicholas Kurgat Wins Virginia Beach Half Marathon In 1:04:45 Rei Ohara won the women’s race in 1:13:38. *Full Results
Olympians Getting Paid Their Due ... Or Not, If You're Sally Pearson
- Morgan Uceny Gets A Hero's Welcome In Her Home Town "I just felt amazing and I was like, this is it, this is going to happen for me. And the next thing I know I was on the ground. When I knew it wasn't going to happen, I just reacted. I didn't think I should get up, there was no thinking at all. I was just devastated and I couldn't have moved if I wanted to. I knew it was over and I just didn't do anything about it."
- Grenada To Name New Stadium After Kirani James
- Sally Pearson Criticizes State Of Australian Gold Coast Track
Lille Half Marathon: Ezekiel Chebii Wins Lille Half In 59:05 Over Bernard Koech (59:10) Eliud Kipchoge made his half debut in 59:25 for 3rd. Filomena Chepchirchir won the women's race in 68:06. *IAAF Recap
*MB: lille half marathon won in 59:03
Bolt, Geb And Kiprotich In The News
- Usain Bolt Gets Invited To The Vatican To Address Religious Conference
- Jamaica Wants To Host A Diamond League Meet
- Haile Gebrselassie's Business Might Be In Trouble Due To Political Unrest In Ethiopia
- Haile G Says He'd Like To Race Two Oceans Marathon Two Oceans is a 56km ultra.
- Stephen Kiprotich Has Uganda Stadium Named After Him
- "Legendary" Japanese Corporate Team S&B To Disband Due to financial problems with the company.
- Marathon WR Holder Patrick Makau Will Run Metro 10k In Czech Next Saturday He's hoping to break his 27:27 10,000 PR as he gets ready for Frankfurt.
- Canada's Matt Loiselle Will Be Shooting For 2:11:30 - WChampionships Spot At Next Month's Toronto Scotiabank Marathon
- IAAF Senegal Track & Field Meet Is Cancelled Due To Flooding Sadly the stadium is being used to house flooding victims.
Thursday: The Track Season Is Winding Down, But We Hope You Saved Something For Zürich *Results *Yahoo Photos
2012 Weltklasse Recap: Rudisha Loses, Bolt And Blake Win, Drama In Women's Steeple, And Americans Fizzle In 5,000m It's the best one-day track meet in the world for a reason - it gets the stars. This year was no different and there were a few shockers. In the men's 5,000, Bernard Lagat broke 13:00 for the first time this year but his AR survived as Galen Rupp finished ninth in 13:09.
LRC David Rudisha Gets Beaten Mohammed Aman ruined David Rudisha's perfect season for the second straight year.
*Other Recaps: *IAAF *Athletics Weekly *Reuters Recap
*Rudisha Is Lucky The Weather Was Great For The Olympics: "I never feel good when the track is wet and it is raining." www.independent.co.uk
800 Video (US Visitors)
*US Men With Gay & Bailey Beat Jamaican "B" Team In 4 X 100
*Grabarz Wins The Diamond League HJ Title & Now Wants To Buy A Porsche A Year After Losing Lottery Funding
Zürich On The Boards:
- Official Zurich 5000m thread
- OFFICAL Zurich 800m Thread
- Down goes Rudisha!! Down goes Rudisha!!
- Lagat proves he is still the mid-d boss in the US of A!
- Ashmeade 19.85 PB in the dark rain in Zurich
- WTF? Russian long Jumper Elena Sokolova.
Birmingham DL Sunday *Full Results *Event-By-Event Results
- LRC: Mo Farah Wins Final Track Race Of 2012, Centro, Leo Disappoint, Merritt Keeps Rolling Post-Olympic fatigue seemed to be fully in play as the meet was full of lackluster results, as Mo Farah won the 2 mile in 8:27, the men's 200 was won in over 20.00, the men's steeple was won in 8:20, the women's 800 was won in over 2:00, and Anna Pierce won the women's 1,500 in 4:11. Aries Merritt did win a quick hurdles and Carmelita Jeter beat Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce again.
- Full Results *US Results *IAAF Recap *Athletics Weekly *Reuters Recap
- Farah On Not Going For Steve Ovett's 8:13 UK Record: "Wasn't thinking about the record at all, mate. It's been a hard week." *Race Video
Pleads Guilty Gives Up
USADA To Ban Lance Armstrong For Life And Strip Him Of All 7 Tour de France Titles USADA chief exec Travis Tygart: "It is a sad day for all of us who love sport and athletes. It's a heartbreaking example of win at all costs overtaking the fair and safe option. There's no success in cheating to win." *ESPN
*MB: BREAKING Report: Lance Abandoning Fight vs Doping Charges, TDF Titles Gone
*Lance Armstrong's Full Statement On USADA Refers to USADA's investigation as an "unconstitutional witch hunt."
Stockholm Diamond League Meet *Full Results *LRC Post-Race Video Interviews *Yahoo Photos
LRC Stockholm Diamond League Full Recap Updated A slew of Olympic champions competed and some did really well and some did awful. Duane Solomon ran a great 800m, Evan Jager ran a PR and revealed he wants to run a 5k, and Shannon Rowbury and Jenny Simpson ran seasonal bests. Now with quotes and interviews.
More: LRC Evan Jager Wants To Run A 5k, But Coach Jerry Schumacher Is Against It
LRC Shannon Rowbury Speaks Out Against Drug Cheats
LRC Taoufik Makhloufi Explains How He Got So Much Better This Year
LRC Andrew Wheating Runs 1:46.4 In B Race And Says It's A Positive Step
LRC Full Results *Video Highlights
*IAAF Recap *Athletics Weekly *Reuters
*Bolt Didn't Run Because He's Too Expensive, Say Meet Organizers
*Valerie Adams Dominates In Stockholm
Getting High Praise In The Email Inbox:
Mediocre Great Britain: You Lived Up To Your Name "For a country where pessimism is now part of the national consciousness, the Olympics were a resounding success. Not okay, not pretty good, but truly Great ..."
*IAAF's 12 Highlights Of London 2012
*London Athletes Face Post-Olympic Blues It now even has an official name: Post-Olympic Stress Disorder, or POSD.
LRC The Incredible Meb Keflezighi Reacts On Just Missing A Medal, Ryan Hall & Abdi Talk About Dropping Out Post-race reaction from the Americans and the medallists. Meb used the fact he was slighted and not introduced to the worldwide audience at the start, even though he was the only Olympic medallist in the field, to fuel him. Ryan Hall reacts to his first
non-top-10 result and Wilson Kipsang says he has no regrets about the 14:11 3rd 5k.
Olympic Marathon: LRC The Unheralded Stephen Kiprotich Of Uganda Stuns The Field And Wins The 2012 Olympic Men's Marathon Uganda's only Olympic medal of the 2012 Games has a great color to it and it came in a historic event, as after getting dropped at the 35km mark (21.7 m), Kiprotich stormed back to the lead at the 23-mile mark and stunned the world and Kenyans Wilson Kipsang and Abel Kirui as the US's Meb Keflezighi was a surprise 4th. Kipsang tried to do his best Sammy Wanjiru impersonation with a crazy 14:11 5k early in the race, but that 5km segment at 1:59 marathon pace may have done him in later.
*USA Today: Kiprotich: "Now, I am known and I am happy that I am known."
*RRW Recap *AP Recap
LRC Mo Farah Completes The Double As The British Fans Go Wild The British fans got what they wanted on the final day of Olympic track competition (marathon tomorrow is on the roads and doesn't end in the stadium) as Farah won a tactical 5,000. Bernard Lagat came up just short in his quest for his first Olympic medal for the US as he was 4th, Rupp 7th and Lomong 10th.
*Picture: Mo Farah And Usain Bolt Swap Victory Poses
*Mo Farah Says He Wants To Move To The Marathon Eventually, But Not Yet
*MB: Official men's 5000m thread *That was the worst 5000m final in an Olympics ever
W 1,500: LRC Disaster Strikes Twice As Morgan Uceny Gets Tripped Again And A Former Doper Wins Gold Disaster struck twice in the 1,500 final. First at the bell when, unbelievably, Morgan Uceny was sent sprawling for the second straight year. It struck again a lap later when a former doper won gold and her compatriot, who has gone from 4:18 to 4:01 this year, nabbed silver.
*Pat Forde: "Saddest sight of the Games"
*Woods: "Half a lifetime of preparation, of dreaming, shattered in an instant."
*Battaglia: Uceny's medal hopes fall - again
*MB: *I am crying for Morgan Uceny *Uceny goes down! *US should protest - Let's re-run the 1,500
*UK 1,500 Runner Lisa Dobriskey Voices Concerns Over Turkey's Asli Çakir Alptekin Being Clean Dobriskey said: "I'll probably get into trouble for saying this, but I don't believe I'm competing on a level playing field.
Bolt Wins 200 To Become A "Legend" Bolt became the first man to win the 100 and 200 at back-to-back Olympics and become a legend in his own words. We thought he was already a legend. After leading the Jamaica 1-2-3 sweep, Bolt trashed Carl Lewis, saying he has "no respect for him" as a result of Carl's thinly-veiled drug allegations at Bolt.
More Bolt-Lewis: *Bolt Rips Lewis
*Editorial Saying This Will Hurt Bolt In US With Endorsements We Disagree. The article nails it in describing how entertaining Bolt was in the rest of the press conference.
*Article From Last Month Explaining What Lewis Said
*Yohan Blake's Watch Has Caught The Eye Of IOC Brand Police
*Four Years Ago, Warren Weir Was Watching The Olympics From The Couch, But Now He's Part Of A Jamaican 200 Medal Sweep When asked what Bolt whispered to him before the start, he said, "1-2-3." All 3 are coached by Glen Mills.
Ashton Eaton, Trey Hardee Go 1-2 In Decathlon Hardee: "It's safe to say my reign is over. I still think my best decathlon is ahead of me, but Ashton's are too."
*Ashton Eaton: "20 years on you will have people saying 'I was sitting on my couch, watching Hardee and Eaton win.'"
*USATF Release On 1-2 Finishes In Decathlon And TJ Includes athlete quotes.
Allyson Felix Wins 200 Gold As USA Crushes It With 7 Medals & 3 Golds Brittney Reese also won gold as did Aries Merritt.
The meet was "was
slipping away" from the US when everything got turned around with a ton of medals. Lashinda Demus had to settle for silver despite running 52.77. *USATF
Release On Historic Day
*Layden: Allyson Felix finally strikes gold on banner night for US track and field
*After Coming Up Short 4 Years Ago, Allyson Felix And Brittney Reese Come Through For Gold In 200 And LJ In 2012
110H: Aries Merritt Is On Fire - PRs At 12.92 As US Goes 1-2 Jason Richardson was a little disappointed he got silver.
Epstein: Merritt quest perfectionism pays off with gold medal in 110m hurdles
Reuters: After showing great promises as jr. world champ, Merritt arrives on center stage
LJ: After Four Straight World Titles, Brittney Reese Gets Long-Sough- After Olympic Gold
*Reese Celebrates With Mom Who Told Her To Turn Down Basketball Scholarship For College & Focus On Track
A Great Read: LRC Men's 1,500m Reaction, Leo Manzano Talks About His Medal, Matt Centrowitz His Near Miss, Makhloufi, Kiprop, Willis, More LRC gives you all the athlete reaction from the crazy men's 1,500m, which saw Leo Manzano take home the first US Olympic 1,500m medal since 1968. Leo says he felt awful but his prayer was answered; Centrowitz says he was running for gold and wouldn't change a thing; Asbel Kiprop praises Leo; Nick Willlis is amazed by Makhloufi's recovery but embarrassed by his own showing. What happened to the Kenyans? What about Nick Willis? What about Makhloufi's injury? *LRC Leo Photo Gallery
Race Recap: LRC 1,500 Final: Taoufik Makhloufi Dominates As Leo Manzano Surprises With Silver (updated) Makhloufi's last 300 was just way better than everyone else's, as anyone that tried to go with him paid a big price. Leo Manzano had the next-best last lap as he went from 10th to 2nd as Matt Centrowitz just missed a medal by .04. *IAAF Recap
*Deadspin: Algerian Runner Booted From Olympics For Quitting A Race Reinstated After Getting A Doctor's Note
*Taoufik Makhloufi: The Man Who Won Olympic Gold After Being Thrown Out For Not Trying An honest assesment of the DQ situation and questioning the rules around it.
400 Final: 19-Year-Old Kirani James Wins Grenada's First Olympic Gold In The 400 Luguelin Santos took silver and Lalonde Gordon bronze. Kirani James is Mr. Clutch at age 19. Incredible.
*Grenada Prime Minister Declares National Holiday To Celebrate Kirani James' 400 Win
SI: US 400m Dynasty Comes To An End
*MB: Kirani James 43.94!!!!
Brussels: The Last Diamond League Meet Of The Year Is Friday *Entry Lists
Provisional Entry Lists for Brussels DL: Olympic 1500 Rematch With Taofik Makhloufi And Asbel Kiprop In His First Race Since He Ran Hurt In London Matthew Centrowitz, Nixon Chepseba, and Nate Brannen also in field. Usain Bolt and Ryan
Bailey in the 100. Women's 800 has Mariya Savinova vs Pamela Jelimo, Anna Pierce and Brenda Martinez. The 5000 features Vivian Cheruiyot, Molly Huddle, and Mercy Cherono. Men's steeple: Paul Koech, Abel Mutai, and Brmin Kipruto. And possibly another WR attempt by Aries Merrit in the 110H?
*LJer Michael Watt Talks About Calling Season Quits Due To Achilles Issues Despite Being In The Lead Of The DL Standings
Mark Your Calendar For October 28th: Frankfurt Marathon Is Shaping Up To Be A Great Race
Frankfurt Marathon Adds Four 2:06 And Under Runners To Field To Challenge Patrick Makau In His WR Attempt Yemane Tsegay who ran 2:04:48 in Rotterdam, Albert Matebor (2:05:25), Bazu Worku (2:05:25) and Gilbert Kirwa (2:06:14) have all been added to the field.
US News: Adam Goucher Returns To Racing, Lukas V Leaves The Hospital, Jeff Demps Is On The Injured List
- He's Back: Adam Goucher To Compete In ElliptiGo World Championships While coming back from knee injury, Goucher is enjoying the elliptigo saying, “I fly, dude. I ride fast, I ride hard, and have fun. I ride all over Portland, pretty much."
- And Hopefully Soon Too Will Be Lukas V: Five Weeks After Bike Crash, Lukas Verzbicas Walks Out Of Colorado Hospital With Hopes Of Still Pursuing A Career As An Elite Triathlete Verzbicas: "I could have been a paraplegic or even worse. They told me I could have passed away, so I feel very lucky that I'm still here and that I'm recovering so fast."
- At Least He Still Has An Olympic Medal: Jeff Demps On Injured Reserve, Out For The Season He came up limping in the fourth quarter of the Patriot's preseason finale.
- Dathan Ritzenhein Interview With The Trailer Talking About Chicago And Possibly Doing World Cross
- Gary Cohen Extensive Interview With Joe Newton, The Coach At York High School Who Has Led The Team To 27 Illinois State XC Titles Newton gives insight into the influences and training philosophies he uses with his runners.
- US Names Team For World 24-Hour Run Championships In Poland September 8-9
- Interview With Leo Manzano
- Lisa Uhl Reflects On Her Olympic Experience And Says She's Taking A Vacation From Running Until Fall She wants to "just forget about being a runner for a while and be a normal person for a little bit."
- Allyson Felix Named As Finalist For The Women's Sports Foundation’s Sportswoman Of The Year Award
Labor Day Action - New Haven 20km - *Race Website/Videos/Interviews
LRC Matt Tegenkamp Does The 20k - Wins 2012 USA 20km Title In American Course Record Time Of 58:30 For years, it was said Teg doesn't run the 10k, but he does do that and now even the 20k!! Former Oregon
Duck Luke Puskedra ran a gutsy race, but Teg blew him away at the end to get the win in a new American course record time of 58:30 - the second-fastest
20 km road race ever run by
an American - in a race where the top 5 ran 60:00 or faster. In the women' race, Renee Metivier Baillie (67:08) won as four broke 69:00. *RRW Article
*Tegenkamp On Puskedra: "He made me work for it. I ran that race in the hardest way possible. I didn't know what I was doing out there."
September 16th: Olympic Champ Tiki Gelana Against World Champ Edna Kiplagat In Newcastle Half Marathon Britain's Jo Pavey 2010 Commonwealth winner Irene Jerotich also in field.
More On The Oscar P Blade Length Debate *Video: Oscar P Loses 200
- Oscar P Apologises For The Timing Of His Outburst Against Oliveira, But Could Still Be Hit With A Punishment From The IPC However, the IPC has agreed to sit down with him and talk about the blade length issue.
- IPC Reveals That Pistorius First Expressed Concerns About Blade Length 6 Or 7 Weeks Ago
- Alan Oliveira Confirms That He's Improved By About A Second Since Switching To The Longer Blades He increased his height from 1.76m to 1.81m just three weeks ago. Under IPC rules, he could go up to 1.85m. So as an disabled athlete you can essentially change your height to find the optimum stride length.
- IPC Rules Would Let Oscar P Increase His Blades By Another 9cm, But He Doesn't Because Then He Wouldn't Be Legal To Compete In Able-Bodied Races Pistorius races at a height of 184cm, but he could go up to 193cm under the IPC rules.
- College Professor Uses "Conservation Of Angular Momentum" To Explain Why He Thinks Oscar P Wasn't At A Disadvantage Prof. Steve Haake: "[Pistorius] has opened a can of worms. If he is saying, 'If you lengthen your legs you are at an advantage,' then he blows his argument out of the water that he gains no advantage over able-bodied athletes by using prosthetics. He is in a difficult place and can't have it both ways."
- Alan Oliveira "Disappointed" By Oscar Pistorius's Claims
"I was let down by how much he wanted to take away from me the merit for winning gold ... He was hotheaded."
- American Armless Archer First Learned To Shoot So He Could Help Hunt For His Family And "put food in the freezer."
- Samwel Mushai Set A Paralympics Record And Won Kenya's First Gold Medal Of This Paralympics In The 1,500m-T11 Henry Kirwa took a bronze in the 5,000m T12 (visually impaired) category.
- Inspiring Athlete: Kenyan Paralympic Captain Henry Kirwa Will Try To Defend His Title In The 1,500-T13 He won 3 golds in Beijing (10,000m T13, 5,000m T13, and 1,500 T13), but can only defend the 1,500, since the IPC no longer offers the 5k/10k T13.
- IOC President Jacques Rogge Will Miss Paralympic Closing Ceremony And Event Marking 40th Anniversary Of Munich Olympic Massacre
- Paralympic Discus Thrower Who Was Given Gold Medal Due To Scoring Mistake Told She Must Now Give It Back
World Mountain Running Champs *More Results
US Women Win World Title (Results Only) Melody Fairchild, the former Foot Locker champ, was on the US team.
More Results: *Women's Team *Men's Team *Men's Individual
*Interview With USA's Morgan Aritola, Bronze Medallist
Paralympics: Oscar P Loses And Says It's Unfair
- Talk About Irony: Oscar P In Shock 200 Defeat To Brazil's Alan Fonteles Cardoso Oliveira And Reacts Angrily, Saying, "We aren't racing a fair race." Pistorius claims that Oliveira is getting an advantage by making his blades longer, therefore giving him a longer stride. *2nd Article
- IPC Reaction: "All blades are measured and Oliveira's passed the test. There's been no infringement of the rules."
- Pistorius' Accusation Doesn't Have A Leg To Stand On: The Science Of Sport Assesses Pistorius' Argument And Says It's "Pretty Baseless" He explains that in truth, Pistorius has the longer stride anyway and there are a lot more factors involved than pure stride length.
- MB: Even Pistorius admits it's not fair .....
- The International Paralympic Committee Has Accused London 2012 Of Scaling Back On Drug Testing At The Games To Save Money The number tested at the Paralympics is a much smaller percentage than that tested at the Olympics.
- Some Paralympians Complain About Media Referring To Them As "Inspirational" They say don't want to be patronized, but how is it patronizing to praise them for what they've had to overcome?
- UK Cyclist Becomes Only Second Person In History To Win Both An Olympic And A Paralympic Medal He was a "pilot" on a tandem bike for a visually-impaired athlete, which are the only able-bodied athletes that can win medals.
- Kenya's David Korir Breaks African Paralympic 1,500 Record With 3:52.96
- Interesting Picture Showing How Visually Impaired Athletes Race With A Guide If You Haven't Seen It Before
- Athletes Involved In Paralympic Discus Mix-Up Allowed To Keep Original Medals Even though the results were inaccurate and the medals re-awarded, they still got to hold on to their original medal "in the spirit of fair play" as they were at the time competing against the incorrect scoreboard.
US News: Teg Starting To See The End?, Estrada Almost Did, Magness And KD Land Coaching Jobs
- Matt Tegenkamp Running US 20km On Monday In Stratton Faxon New Haven 20k- Race Will Be Free On Net At 8:40am ET USATF lists the contenders as Sean Quigley, Christo Landry, Joseph Chirlee, Andrew Carlson and James Carney on the men's side and Stephanie Rothstein, Katie McGregor, Maegan Krifchin, Renee Metivier-Baillee and Alisha Williams for the women. *Full Elite Entries *MB: Chad Hall Making 20km Debut - Anyone think that the Foot Locker Champ talent will come out?
- Matt Tegenkamp: "I think at the point I am at in my career I am not naïve enough to think that my track career is going to go on forever and ever." "It is amazing that it is a two year build-up and it is absolutely over in the blink of an eye. The adjustment back from London was probably the most difficult I've ever had in my career." *MB: Tegenkamp to retire???
- Diego Estrada Says That He Lets All The "Haters" And Critics Get To Him And He Went Into London Emotionally Drained He said immediately after the Olympics, he considered quitting the sport completely, but is back training now.
- Khadevis Robinson Hired At Ohio State
- Former Oregon Project Coach Steve Magness Named University Of Houston Assistant Cross-Country Coach He's also still coaching some pros, such as Jackie Areson, Tommy Schmitz and Sara Hall.
- Olympic Teams Invited To White House Reception
- XC: Wisconsin Men And Oregon Women Open 2012 Cross-Country Ranked As #1 *DII National Rankings
- US Trail 10k Champ David Roche's Post-Race Report In an email, David recently partially credited Wejo's "Why I Sucked in College" article as helping him in with his running career.
- Music Video: "Run Louisiana Day" Puts Out Clever Music Video To Promote Event And Encourage Everyone In The State To Go For A Run Louisiana 2nd in the nation for obesity. *Event Website
Paul Ryan Didn't Break 3:00 Or Even 4:00 - He Ran 4:01 Well, he probably did break 4:00 with the chip time - so he ran high 3:50s - not 2:50s - at age 20 in 1990.
Paralympics Open To Huge Fanfare In The UK
- Paralympic Games Spectacularly Start With A "Big Bang" Opening Ceremony
- Queen Skips Out Early To Catch Vacation Train After Opening Ceremony Goes Two Times As Long As Planned
- Unbelievable: Paralympics Draws TV Station's Biggest Audience (11mil) In More Than 10 Years And Yet People Complain They Had To Watch Commercials In the US, was it even on TV?
- Incredible: US Athlete Born Without Arms Is Archery Star
- Many Irish Skip Opening Ceremony To Focus On Competition
- Meet The Congolese Paralympian Who First Saw A Racing Wheelchair Just Weeks Ago
US Marathon News
- Olympic Trifecta: Meb + Abdi Will Join Ryan Hall At The 2012 ING New York City Marathon All three US Olympic men's marathoners plus Hartmann, Gotcher, Arciniaga, Carlson, Bauhs and Vail will run New York this year. New York also announced they are going to offer $50,000 in prize money per gender for Americans only.
- Good Interview: Runner's World Q&A With Meb The cobblestones in London really beat up his feet and he hasn't run since the Olympics, but he thinks he'll be ready by NYC. Also talks about a London mishap with Ryan Hall's drink. Some quotes "that weren't QOD" in there.
Olympians: Vivian Cheruiyot Might Not Race Next Year And Might Run The Marathon In 2016
- Good Read: We Could See Vivian Cheruiyot In The Marathon In 2016, But We Might Not See Her At All Next Year If She Takes A Year Off To Start A Family You might not have known Cheruiyot's first Games were back in 2000 when she was only 16. She skipped 2004 so she could focus on her education, so London was her third.
- NY Times: Sanya Richards-Ross And Nick Symmonds Continue The Fight Against Rule 40 Symmonds: "To have someone like Sanya come in and publicly speak out is really what this cause needs. I'm not afraid to put my opinions out there, but I'm not as decorated as Sanya. When she steps forward, people listen."
- Sally Pearson Says She And Other Olympians In Australia Have To Train On A Track That Is "Falling Apart" Because No One Will Pay To Have It Fixed
Mo Farah/Usain Bolt News
Olympic 5,000m Final Was So Loud That Finish Line Camera Shook And The Official Finish Photo Was Blurry For The First Time Ever It
didn't happen in any other
race in London. Farah mania > Bolt mania in London.
Mo Farah's Wife Gives Birth To Twin Girls
Usain Bolt Gets Honored At Manchester United Halftime
More Lance Armstrong News *Get Your Own "Cheat To Win" Bracelet
- Alan Abrahamson Breaks Down Lance Armstrong Case
- Is The Olympic HGH Test Ready For The NFL?
- Philip Hersh Pieces Together The Lance Armstrong Puzzle: What Does His Decision Mean? By dropping the fight, Armstrong has spared himself the bad publicity of having all those witnesses testify against him. Apparently his lawyers have written to USADA threatening further legal action too.
- InsideTheGames: Armstrong Decision Not To Fight Drug Charges Set To Spark Jurisdiction Row Between WADA And UCI
- So Who Gets Lance's Titles? Apparently No One, Since Almost All The Runners-Up For 7 Years Were Cheats Too All but one runner-up since Lance's first win in 1999 has been banned at some point for drug use as well.
- SI Column: "Armstrong ended his fight over doping, but who really cares?" "This was a case between a likely drug cheat and obsessive, unlikeable prosecutors, fueled by other drug cheats as witnesses. If this were divorce court and I were a judge, I'd give all the money to the dog."
Lausanne DL *Full Results
LRC: Matt Centrowitz Runs 3:31.96 For Third The twenty-two-year-old American continued to roll as in his first race post-London, he skipped the 3:32s and 3:33s to run 3:31.96 and come close to the win in Lausanne.
*Video Of Centro's Race
*MB: CENTRO 3:31!! *What the hell happened? Centro 3:31, Rupp DNF, Manzano/Willis 3:34
Results: Yohan Blake 9.69, Usain Bolt 19.58, Pamela Jelimo Over Mariya Savinova, Matt Centrowitz 3:31, Leo Manzano 3:34, Galen Rupp DNF The two Jamaican sprint stars came to play in Lausanne. But the mid-d and distance action left you wondering how the Olympic results were as they were. In the 1,500, the American silver medallists didn't really show up as Leo Manzano was 10th and Galen Rupp didn't finish, as Silas Kiplagat got the win and Matt Centrowitz showed why he's the best American miler when healthy. In the women's 800, Pamela Jelimo got the win over the 2012 Olympic champion, and in the 3,000, Jenny Simpson was dead last - proving in our minds that her problems in 2012 aren't a matter of confidence or tactics, but rather of fitness.
*IAAF Recap *AP *BBC
*MB: The Good: CENTRO 3:31!! *9.69 - My head just exploded
The Bad: What the hell happened? Centro 3:31, Rupp DNF, Manzano/Willis 3:34
The Ugly: JennyB needs a new coach fast
Monday/More Weekend Track Action
- Monday In Linz, Austria: Kirani James, Felix Sanchez Impress Overall recap.
- *Men's 1,000m: Seurei Wins, Nate Brannen 2:16.52, Over Nick Willis (Missed NZ Record By .01), Wheating, Torrence Willis for some reason was getting top billing earlier. Brannen deserves it. He is in fabulous shape and fell in London. Kirani James won the 400 (44.46) as Oscar P was 6th (46.91). In the 800, Hannah England ran 1:59.66 to beat Anna Pierce and Molly Beckwith. Felix Sanchez won the 400H; Michael Tinsley was 3rd. Other action included a poor steeple showing by Bridget Franek (9:52.90) and bronze medallist Kellie Wells losing to US runners Ginnie Crawford and Queen Harrison in the 100H. *Full Results *Cory Martin Wins City Shot *MB: Brannen 2:16:52 1000m
Olympic Track & Field *Daily Schedule/Results *Complete T&F Schedule *LRC Check Prediction Contest Scores/Change Picks
Saturday: W800: LRC The World Champion Is Now The Olympic Champion As Mariya Savinova Wins Comfortably Over Caster Semenya (updated) Russia's Mariya Savinova came from way back to win the gold comfortably in 1:56.19 and retain her global superiority. Caster Semenya had a blazing last
100 to grab the silver, but waited
way too long to kick to challenge for gold. Defending champ Pamela Jelimo led with 200 to go, but faded badly and was the first outside the medals.
*David Epstein: "Silver Medal in 800 meters Offers Little Clarity in Semenya Speculation" Talks about speculation as to how Semenya came out of nowhere again to get silver and points out how those who objected to her in the past (such as Savinova) seem to be fine with her now that she's losing.
Saturday Relay Action:
- Bolt Is 6-For-6: Usain Bolt And Jamaica Make History With A New 4 X 1 World Reocrd (36.84) Bolt gets his back-to-back triple crowns. The US was second, actually equalling the old WR, but still well beaten by Jamaica. *IAAF Event Report
- Tim Layden: "In a Games filled with memorable moments, few resonate like Bolt"
- It Was A Disappointing Games For "White Lightning" Christophe Lemaitre This article was from before the 4 x 1 final, but we doubt he's any happier, as France just missed a medal.
- US Women Win 4 X 4 Relay With Fastest Time In 19 Years Allyson Felix gets her 3rd gold medal of the games, Sanya Richards-Ross her 2nd. Richards-Ross said, "By the time I got the stick, it was basically a victory lap." *MB: ALLYSON FELIX JUST SPLIT 48.8
W 5,000: LRC Meseret Defar Stunningly Stops The Coronation Of Tiruneh Dibaba The script was all set. Tirunesh Dibaba was to complete the "Double Double" and become the first women track athlete with four individual golds. Only thing was, the person making history ended up being Meseret Defar.
*Reuters Defar's golden focus pays dividends Defar said she's had great health and says she changed training to prepare for a tactical race. The religious Defar says she feels "born again."
*Defar Says She Will Now Move Up To The Marathon She's ran one half before in 67:45. Dibaba has said she's making the same move, so their rivalry isn't over yet.
Could Be Was Epic:
LRC David Rudisha Becomes A Legend By Winning Gold With A World Record In The Greatest 800 Race In History updated David Rudisha went after in London and delivered, as he became the first person to break 1:41 in the 800. The rest of the field went after Rudisha and delivered as well as 7 of 8 runners PRed in a truly epic race where places 1-8 set new all-time best time-for-place marks. Duane Solomon and Nick Symmonds became the 2nd and 3rd Americans to break 1:43 and amazingly neither medalled.
*MB: Rudisha 1:40.91 WORLD RECORD!!
*Epstein: How low can Rudisha go in 800?
*Science Of The Sport Analyzes The Olympic 800 Final And Rudisha's Race Strategy
LRC Duane Solomon And Nick Symmonds React To Their Historic Olympic 800s That Leave Them Short Of The Medals The sub-1:43 club has two more Americans. Unbelievably both of them will leave London without medals. Nick Symmonds ran faster in the final than he thought was humanly possible for him.
*IAAF Article On Rudisha's WR 17-year-old Kenyan Timothy Kitum, who got bronze, said, "[Rudisha] told me he was going to go fast for the line. He advised me not to follow him and to go for silver. That's why (Mohammed) Aman failed. That was our plan."
*Usain Bolt & David Rudisha: Olympic Stars United In Greatness The 800 was crazy; British runner Andrew Osagie's 1:43.77 was enough to get him 4th all-time UK and would have won any of the past three Olympic finals ... but here it got him last.
*Ultimate Track Showdown: Bolt Vs. Rudisha Over 400 Both have hinted they'd be up for it. Props to whatever meet organizer makes this happen. *MB: More Dominant: Bolt or Rudisha ?
LRC Column/Editorial: Sarah Attar Makes Olympic Track And Field History For Saudi Arabia In 800m, But Is It Enough? Imagine the outrage if the South African delegation made its black athletes walk behind the whites and told them to not give interviews or mingle with whites."It's time for the IOC to stop supporting sexism. Gender discrimination should be treated no differently than racial discrimination. ... How about for a start, the Saudi women come out first at the closing ceremonies? Come out before anyone else enters the stadium, that would be a step in the right direction."
What Does Breaking The 10 Second Barrier 80 Times Get You? Asafa Powell Has An Estimated Net Worth of 6.5 Million Dollars
LetsRun.com T-Shirts Are Here Labor Day Special, 4 Different Shirts $50
LRC The Wait is Over: Buy Your LetsRun.com Shirts Today The Empire State Building was built in 2 years, the US put a man on the moon in 8 years, and 12 years later the LetsRun.com T-Shirts are here. 4 designs coming from you. We've got a Labor Day Special: All 4 shirts, $50 with free shipping.
In Case You Were Gone All Weekend: Berlin *Results
LRC German Fernandez Runs 3:34.60 And We Break It Down updated Aries Merritt went 12.97, Robert Harting won for the 33rd straight time, and Mohammed Aman and Pamela Jelimo
won the 800s, but the big news for US distance fans was German Fernandez running 3:34.60. We break down his breakthrough. *Results
*IAAF Recap *Athletics Weekly
*Video Of German's Run
*Sabrina Yohannes Interviews Mohammed Aman Who Won His Second 800 In 3 Days With A 1:43.62 He said he wanted another 1:42, but the pacemaker was too slow for the first lap.
*EA Recap: Harting Celebrates Win By Clearing Three Hurdles
*Kemar Bailey-Cole Wins 100 And Anchors Jamaica 4 X 100 Hurdle Team To Victory
On The Boards: GERMAN with the PB! 3:34.60 in Berlin!
Lance Armstrong News
- USADA Says They Are In Possession Of Positive Lance Armstrong Samples
- ICU Says They Won't Be Afraid To Ban Armstrong If USADA Shows Them Convincing Evidence
- Ireland's Independent On Armstrong: "A hero to many, but a cheat is still a cheat."
Paralympics Results *Photos
- Impressive: GB's Richard Whitehead Wins Paralympic T42 200 Gold Medal He's a pretty impressive athlete, as he's a double above-the-knee amputee and has the marathon WR of 2:42:54. He only converted to the sprints because the Paralympics doesn't have a marathon for his disability category.
- Oscar P Sets 200m WR In Semi Interestingly, given his history, he accuses some athletes of getting an unfair advantage by making themselves taller with extra long blades.
- Pistorious Says It's Going To Be "Awkward" Sharing A Room With A Fellow 200m Sprinter The Night Before They Compete Against Each Other In The Final
- Djibouti's Only Paralympic Athlete Gets A Standing Ovation From The 80,000 Person Crowd As The One-Armed And Injured Runner Struggled To Finish He finished the 1,500 in 11:23; over 7 minutes behind the winner.
- Ireland's Jason Smyth Sets 100m T13 WR With 10.54 This is Tyson Gay's training partner.
- Kenyan Paralympic Distance Runners Dominating As Well; All 3 Advance To 1,500 Final
- Result Mix-Up In Discus Leads To Athletes Receiving Wrong Medals
- Paralympics Starts With Controversey As Cyclist Is DQed For False Start
Nick Symmonds' Beer Mile AR
Lausanne 1,500: Centro 3:31.96
Saturday Photo Gallery: Usain And Mo
Goodbye London 2012 - Closing Ceremony Photos Gallery
LRC Asks Carmelita Jeter & Jason Richardson About Mark Block
Latest: Britain's Sunday Herald Picks Up Block Story & USADA Says "There is an investigation going on."
*Pat Forde Of Yahoo Sports Picks Up On Controversy
LRC Carmelita Jeter And Jason Richardson Answer Questions About Banned Agent Mark Block LRC's Weldon Johnson asked Jeter and Richardson about their association with banned agent Mark Block. Jeter and Richardson, to their credit, didn't dodge the questions. To say there was tension in the air is an understatement. *Discuss
*Associated Press Picks Up Story: US sprinter Carmelita Jeter defends friendship with suspended agent Mark Block
*The Guardian Picks Up Story: "A wonderful night for the USA's athletics team turned sour when Carmelita Jeter was questioned about her links with the controversial former coach, Mark Block."
*NY Daily News *Daily Mail *San Diego Tribune
Day 8 Olympic Photo Gallery: Women's 4 X 100 WR, Uceny Falls, Women's 5,000m Final
Day 7 Olympic Photo Gallery: Rudisha And Bolt
Day 6 Photo Gallery: Allsyon Felix, Aries Merritt, Brittney Reese, Women's 1,500m Semis
Day 5 Photo Gallery: Leo 1,500m Silver, Men's High Jump, Men's 800m Semis, Men's Discus Final
Day 4 Photo Gallery: King James, Felix Sanchez, Jenn Suhr, Women's Steeple
Day 3 Photo Gallery: Men's 100, Men's Steeple, Women's 400, More
Women's Olympic Marathon Photo Gallery
Day 2 Photo Gallery: Olympic 10,000m Final Photo Gallery
Help Out A LRCer Who Has Terminal Cancer: Help Cancer Guy
A Legend Passes Too Young
LRC Eight-Time US Cross-Country Champion Pat Porter Dies In Plane Crash Updated: We've added a great photo of Porter with 3-time World XC Champ Lynn Jennings.
*Authorities: "There are no indications as to what may have caused this accident." Porter and his 15-year-old son and a neighbohood friend have perished.