BALCO Still In The News
- Victor Conte, The Brains Behind The BALCO Drug Scandal, Accuses Usain Bolt And Others Of Being Drug Cheats *MB Thread
- Phillip Hersh Analyzes US State Department's Decision To Use Marion Jones As Diplomat
- Marion Jones Tells Kids To "Think Seriously Before Making Big Decisions" Someone should tell her this is common sense for most people.
- Former Olympic Champ Maurice Greene Says Dwain Chambers Deserves To Miss Out On The London Games A very bitter Greene says, "Why should I have sympathy? He cost me [sponsorship] money." He says BALCO approached him too, but he turned them down. However, in this article, Victor Conte accuses Greene of being a drug cheat too.
*IOC Disappointed, But Accept Merritt Ruling And Will Not Appeal However, they plan on amending the "wording" of the rule so it holds up in the future.
*Spain's Former World Steeple Champ Marta Dominguez Returns To Competition With A 10k In Madrid Oct. 30th "On December 9th last year I was a bad person, very bad, the worst, and later they cleared me."
AP: Lance Armstrong's Hopes Not High At XTERRA Triathlon Worlds Lance: "I'd be really happy if I won it, so I guess that means I'd be surprised. Shocked is probably too big of a word, or too strong a word, but, yeah, I'd be very pleasantly surprised." *Video Interview
Recommended Read An Inside Look At The Oldest Man To Ever Finish A Marathon - 100-Year-Old Fauja Singh: "I lost my speed in this race." He seems like a great guy.
Want To Have Cocktails With Ryan And Sara Hall? Bid On The Items In The NYRR Fall Auction The cocktails will cost you $1,450.
Be Thankful The Olympics Aren't Coming To Your City
- Londoners Warned They May Not Be Able To Purchase Meat, Get Married, Or Even Organise Funerals During Olympics
- London Will Be A Nightmare During The Games Londoners are told to get a beer after work as the subway will be too crowded.
43 Years Ago From Tuesday, Bob Beamon Broke The Long Jump World Record By More Than 2 Feet Interesting to note that he reveals he was initially excited not because he knew it was a monster jump, but rather simply because he hadn't fouled.
For Our Friend Mike Rohl
2004 Olympic 20k Racewalk Champion Retires
Today's Sign Of The Apocalypse *Discuss
Marion Jones To Represent The US State Department Abroad Respected Olympic writer Alan Abrahmson said it best: "Marion
Jones is a liar." She apparently continues to manipulate us all if the State Department somehow thought she was
what's best about America.
*On The Boards: This is Not a Joke: Marion Jones to Represent US State Deparment Internationally
More Drug News: More Than Half Of Tests At Under-17 World Cup Tested Positive Due To Contaminated Meat, May Help Tour De France Champ Alberto Contador
*Contaminated Meat Could Be A Problem At Pan Am Games
- Jamie Baulch Says Dai Greene Will Be Bigger Than Linford Christie, Darren Campbell And Colin Jackson He'd have to win in London, which we don't think will happen.
- Gemma Steel Gets Scalp Of European Junior Cross-Country Champion Charlotte Purdue At National Road Relays In Birmingham
- Sprint Sensation Jodie Williams Rejects UK Athletics Government Funding
Big Administrative News
- USATF Hires Former Board Member Max Siegel To Handle Its Marketing; Restructures Marketing & Communications What looks like a case of nepotism is actually a smart move as the guy is the former president of Dale Earnhardt Inc.
- Recommended Read Alan Abrahamson: USATF boldly does something right
- USOC Chief Says US Will Bid For Olympics Again After Revenue Sharing Is Finalized The rest of the world wants the US to keep less than its 12.75% of its TV revenue.
- Seb Coe Says 193 Nations Have Signed Truce For Olympics
- Football Chairman Calls London Mayor Inept & Wants Him Removed From All Olympic Stadium Decisions
College XC News Pre-Nats: *Men's Results *Women's Results
Wisconsin XC: *Men's Results *Women's Results
*More NCAA Results
LRC 2011 NCAA Cross-Country Poll Voting Now Open Pre-Nats and Wisco are in the books. It's time to re-rank the teams before the conference championships get underway.
*Unranked Vanderbilt XC Reacts To Their Surprising 2nd Place Finish In Wisconsin
*24th-Ranked Washington Reacts To Winning Wisconsin Invite
*2:10:58 & 2:27:56 Win Rainy Intercontinental Istanbul Eurasia Marathon
Pre-Nats Results Men: CU Men Win Andy Wacker was 2nd overall to Iona's Leonard Korir as Amar Moussa debuted for the Buffs as their #3 man. *Results
Women: FSU Women Win With Just 46 Points And to think Karen Harvey views this as a "rebuilding" year. *Results
On The Boards: Pre Nats Live Update
Chile Pepper: Men's Results: Oklahoma State Dominates, German Fernandez Looks Good Fernandez got 3rd for the Cowboys as they go for the NCAA three-peat.
On The Boards: How Come No One is Talking about German Fernandez's Good Run Today?
*Is Nat Champs Ok State vs. Wisconsin, or am I missing something?
Women: Texas Edges Arkansas
Wisconsin Men: Lawi Lalang Dominates, Wisco Men Win, Verzbicas 62nd In His Debut (Results) This meet replaced pre-Nats as the place to be this year before next month's NCAA meet. Lawi Lalang, the brother of Kenyan star Boaz, who only started running last year, dominated. Lukas Verzbicas faded badly to 62nd in his first collegiate XC meet, as Texas freshman Craig Lutz was 15th.
*Wisco Men Run "Pretty Much Perfect" - So Good Their Coach Mick Byrne Was Stunned "I was surprised. At about 3 kilometers it looked like the team race was over."
*James Li Impressed By Lawi Lalang's Dominence "Lawi showed he's in a class of his own today. I don't think tactically he was the most sound, he's just so much stronger than everybody else."
*Providence Men Surprise As #1 Big East Team
*Lukas V: "Very rough opening race, have some rethinking to do. Time to move on and get fit for the rest of the season."
*Did You Know? Lukas Verzbicas' Stepdad Is Head Coach At USA Triathlon's New Elite Academy
Wisconsin Women: Sheila Reid Gets Best Of Jordan Hasay, Washington And Unranked Vanderbilt Women Surprise (Results) Reid beating Hasay is not a surprise, but Washington winning and unranked Vanderbilt being #2 was a shocker, especially with #1 Villanova in the field.
*Oregonian: Jordan Hasay Nipped By Sheila Reid In Hasay's 1st Race Of Year
*'Nova Website Calls Reid's Win "Dominant"
*Unranked Vandy Women Finish 2nd By Running "Close To A Perfect Race"
Oregon: Register Guard: Coach Powell: "Obviously, both teams have some things to work on before the conference meet."
Video Interviews: Sheila Reid *Lawi Lalang *Men's Race
MB Talk *OFFICIAL Wisconsin Invite Thread
*LAWI LALANG RUNS 50 MPW?!
*Hasay/Reid dual.... + Vandy women!!!
*LUKAS last 3k = 9:29.4, LUTZ last 3k = 8:42.7
*LUCAS V DOMINATES WITH A 62ND PLACE FINISH!
*Feb 27: Prediction: Lawi Lalang wins an NCAA title this year
G.M. Pulls Ad Suggesting Cyclists Can't Get Girls Imagine the outrage if this was done for cross-country.
Big $100,000 Payday For New B.A.A. Distance Medley Now the BAA's 5k, 10k and Half Marathon races are a series with an overall male and female prize of $100,000 each. Rather than a points system, it will be awarded to the finisher with the lowest overall combined time from all three races.
NYC Marathon Is November 6th
- Brief Chat With Mary Keitany On the subject of women's WRs, she said she wasn't sure if Paula's 2:15 should be the WR, but said, "I do think is that to have a male pacemaker running in front of you makes a huge difference when you are looking to run that fast. You cannot get a woman to pace like that."
- "Kim Smith Looks Strong Ahead Of NYC Marathon"
- Hockey Hall Of Famer Mark Messier To Run NYC Marathon
Marathon Olympic Trials Are January 14th; Track Starts June 21st
- Event Timetables Announced For 2012 US Olympic Trials The 10,000/5,000 double is very easy to do, as is the 800/1,500. Barringer fans, the 1,500/steeple isn't really possible.
*OTs Begin June 21 On The Nike Campus With The Hammer Throw
- Ryan Hall Will NOT Be Asking Training Advice From The LetsRun.com Message Boards Go to about 4:40 into this video.
- Brett Gotcher Is "Gathering Momentum" As Marathon Training Begins
Chicago Marathon Mom Generating Headlines
Writer Reflects On Having To Interview Chicago Marathon Mom "What prompted her to run a marathon at nearly 39 weeks pregnant? Speculation was rampant, but to me, it seemed like Miller ran because that's what she does. She runs. This was neither her first pregnancy, her first marathon, nor her first pregnant marathon.
As a local physician told me later that day, 'I don't think she's crazy ... it sounds like she's an elite athlete to be able to run that many miles
this late in pregnancy.'"
*Time Magazine Investigates: Is It A Bad Idea To Run A Marathon While Pregnant?
*MB: Amazing--woman gives birth after completing Chicago Marathon?!?
Bank Of America Chicago Marathon *Results *Yahoo Photos
LRC Moses Mosop A Superstar, Liliya Shobukhova Becomes Second-Fastest Woman Ever Updated Moses Mosop dominated the final miles in Chicago after Wesley Korir tried to make it interesting. Russian Liliya Shobukhova ran 2:18:20 to become the second-fastest woman ever. American Ryan Hall ran 2:08:04 for 5th. Great for any other American marathoner, so-so for him.
LRC: Wesley Korir Impresses With 2:06:15 Second Place In Chicago The former Louisville Cardinal broke the race up with a surge at 30km. Afterwards, he revealed what he was trying to do.
Ryan Hall Says He Needs More Time At Sea Level To Work On Turnover RW
LRC Non-Quotes Of The Day From 2011 Bank Of America Chicago Marathon Hall talks about what 2:08 means, Canova talks about the world record.
LRC Quick Recap With Men's Splits: Moses Mosop Breaks Course Record At 2011 Bank Of America Chicago Marathon, Shobukhova Runs 2:18:20
NEW YORK CITY MARATHON FINALIZES ELITE FIELD World Champs bronze medalist Feyisa Lelisa, two-time European Champs medalist Inga Abitova and the third-fastest half marathoner of all time, Mathew Kisorio (debut), have been added to the field.
London 2012 News:
*Paula Radciliffe Says Even If She Wins Gold, She'll Keep Running After London Games
*In Case You Were Wondering, There Will Be No 100-200-400 Triple At The Olympics Apparently some Jamaicans were hoping for a triple crown for Usain Bolt, but the Olympic schedule doesn't allow it ... not to mention Bolt has said many times he doesn't like the 400.
*UK's 30-Year-Old LJer Chris Tomlinson Talking Ahead Of 2012 Games: "It's not necessarily about the minor medals, we all know that. I've got a World Indoor silver and a European bronze. I've made finals of World and Olympic championships, but it's about being a champion."
2 Weeks In Review
LRC Weeks That Were: Ryan Hall Criticism, Canadian Marathoners, E. Dibaba's Stunning Marathon Debut, College XC And More We dig deep and look at Ryan Hall's performance in Chicago, his spat with Phil Hersh, give praise to Ejegayehu Dibaba for her excellent marathon debut, give some props to Reid Coolsaet, discuss a little NCAA XC and let you wish you were born in Kenya.
Pan Am News
- Pan AM Games Stadium Finished Just In Time
- Brazilian 10k And 5k Record Holder Tests Positive For EPO At Pan Am Games
- Jamaican Jouranlist At Pan Ams Changes Tune And Says He's Now Loving Mexico Before, he was complaining about the tacos and taxis.
News From The UK
- Jodie Williams' Coach Says His Work With Her Is Not A Way For Him To Take Revenge On UK Athletics For Firing Him
- Haile G Excited To Be Returning To Birmingham For This Weekend's Bupa Great Birmingham Run He should be, as Birmingham has been kind to him, since he's set 3 world records there, won a world title there and also received an honorary degree from the U of B.
- Seb Coe Says Track & Field Is Still Popular In The UK And That Fans Can Easily Fill 60,000-Seat Stadium After Olympics
- Want To Run The London Marathon? Join The Telegraph Charity Team
News From Kenya
- Athletics Kenya Reveals New Constitution Many view many of the changes as "an attempt to cut David Okeyo, the long-serving office holder, down to size."
- Kenyan Marathon Offering $5,000 For 1st Foreign Finisher And Paula Radcliffe & Tirunesh Dibaba Will Both Be There ... as spectators.
- Patrick Makau And Vivian Cheruiyot To Make Appearances At Next Weekend's Nairobi Marathon Cheruiyot will run the 10k and Makau will watch.
- Over 1000 To Compete In Taita Region Of Kenya
Worthy Of Praise
Amby Burfoot Honored With George Hirsch Journalism Award Burfoot is a former Boston Marathon champ and long time RW editor.
Good Read: Amby Burfoot Talks About His Writing And Running Career Times have definitely changed. "I knew a few guys who couldn't break 3:00 in the marathon and I just couldn't even imagine how anyone could possibly be that slow."
LRC Hero 80-Year-Old Ed Whitlock Runs 3:15:54 Marathon His run got lost in the hoopla of 100-year-old Fauja Singh finishing in Toronto but we're more impressed with Ed. Besides, our favorite 100 (or 94) year-old marathoner was Buster Martin, who smoked and drank on the course.
On The Boards: 3:15:54 for Ed Whitlock!
*LRCer Creates Ed Whitlock Facebook Page
Scotiabank Toronto Marathon Gives Koren Yal $25,000 Bonus For Tying Course Record Technically, she was due $0 since she didn't break the record, but they gave her $25k instead of $35k for the tie.
NCAA Ranking Shake-Up
Florida State Goes To #1, Washington Jumps From 24 To #2, Vanderbilt Goes From Unranked To #3 The men's side did not change as much.
Disagree? LRC XC Polls Now Open Tell us who is the top in the country and each conference.
Time To Start Getting Ready For 2011 ING NYC
NY Times Looks At The Impact The Olympic Marathon Trials Has On The NYC Marathon Field And On Marathoners' Bank Accounts Ryan Hall has some interesting comments: "It's a huge issue. It's kind of a bummer. I love the Olympics, but we take huge (financial) hits to run in the Olympics."
On The Boards: Does Ryan Hall Take a Hit Running in the Olympics? We say short-term, yes; long-term, no.
Lauren Fleshmen Tired From Marathon Training "Today's illumination is that marathon training makes me brain dead after 8pm, making it very difficult to write a meaningful blog."
*Ed Moran Talks About His Upcoming Marathon Debut In New York Note to others: Training for the marathon often will do wonders for your track credentials.
*Kim Smith Wins ING Hartford Half Marathon In 1:11:18 Little more than a training run for Smith, who ran 67:11.
*Running Doc Lists The Only 4 Injuries That Should Prevent You From Starting A Marathon
Occupy UK Athletics? Even In The More Socialistic Europe, The Rich Get Richer
- World Champs Mo Farah & Dai Greene Are Among The 87 Athletes Receiving $87,700 From British Govt. To Train For London The plastic Brit, Tiffany Porter, also is getting full funding.
- Meanwhile, Former Olympic Bronze Medallist Kelly Sotherton Gets Zero Funding
- Olympic HJ Silver Medallist Germaine Mason Also Gets Snubbed
- Mark Lewis-Francis' Funding Is Reduced
- Teenager Jodie Williams Turns Down Lottery Funding
Amsterdam: Wilson Chebet 2:05:53, Tiki Gelana 2:22:08 CR, Sihine Drops Out Sihine, with his 5 WC/Olympic silvers, dropped out after 36km in his marathon debut. Chebet has now run a 2:05:51 average in his 3 marathons. 18-year old Eric Ndiema set
a new junior world record at 2:06:07. In the women's race, third placer Lornah Kiplagat ran 2:25:52 to qualify for Beijing.
*Chebet: "I don't plan to run any marathon race before the Olympics. If they (AK) select me, then God is great."
Toronto: Reid Coolsaet & Eric Gillis Qualify For Canadian Olympic Marathon Team Due to windy conditions, Coolsaet took a risk and went out with the leaders in sub-64 but was able to hang on and qualify for London even after taking a bathroom break at 25km.
*LRC Jerome Drayton's Canadian Marathon Record Lives To See Another Day Dayton's 36-year-old Canadian record of 2:10:09 lives on as Coolsaet finished in 2:10:55 but ended up with a nice consolation prize - an Olympic berth. Eric Gillis also punched his ticket to London by the narrowest of margins - 1 second - as Dylan Wykes came up short.
*Kenneth Mungara Wins 4th Straight Toronto Title In Photo Finish (2:09:49)
*MB: Toronto Live Chat *Will Coolsaet break Drayton's Canadian Marathon Record this weekend?
More Weekend Marathon Action:
Beijing: Francis Kiprop Wins In 2:09:00; Wei Xiaojie Wins In 2:28:05 Former WR holder Catherine Ndereba was third in 2:30:14.
Korea: 2:09:23 Good For Kenyan Win 2:38 won the women's race.
Baltimore: Hard To Believe: 2:15:26 Nets Kenyan $25,000 For Baltimore Marathon Victory
Detroit: A Canadian Wins $3,000 & The Detroit Free Press Marathon In A Slow 2:28.22
Interesting Links From The Weekend
- Man Gets Tasered & Arrested For Trying To Run Marathon Nude In Ohio
- Going To London For Olympics? You'd Better Not Having Any Advertising On You, Including Permanent Tattoos Or Puma Contact Lenses, Or It Might Cost You £20,000
- 100-Year-Old Breaks World Record At Toronto Marathon With 8 Hours Plus He's slowed down a great deal in the last decade, as he did 5:40 at age 90. *Pre-Race With Video: Preview Of 100-Year-Old Man's World Record Attempt
- Hidden Steroid Danger At Pan Am Games - Watch Out As The Meat May Be Contaminated With 'Roids
- Over 100,000 Show Up For Fun Run From Europe To Asia
10th Japanese Runner Dips Under Olympic B Standard In 10,000 Want to know how deep Japanese collegiate running is? A guy who was just 13th in his leg of the Ekiden last weekend ran 28:17 in the same race.
Olympian Amy Yoder Begley & Alberto Salazar Part Ways "She has had a lot injuries, and it's been frustrating for her and for me," Salazar said. "She wanted to try something new. I support her." Amy had great success with Alberto but considering she came in to train with Kara Goucher it makes sense for her to leave.
MB: Yoder-Begeley Leaves Salazar Too?
- Recommended Read British Columnist: Dwain Chambers Really Does Epitomise The Olympic Games Spirit
- Columnist Asks - Who Was Best Cram, Coe Or Overtt? His Answer ... He gives up after 2,500+ words and says John Walker was better than all 3.
- Jessican Ennis To Skip Next June's European Champs We will repeat again - having Europeans two months before the Olympics - is one of the dumbest ideas in history.
- Surprise, Surprise - Europe Backs London 2017 WC Bid
Interesting Analysis On The Mind Of Ryan Hall Talks a little about the Hall-Hersh interaction and says, "We journalists live in a narrower, darker place than Hall. We are trained to be skeptical and hyper-objective. To sniff out details, and to question shallow answers. In cases of national security, such questions can change history."
Paula Speaks, And Other UK News
- Paula Radcliffe Makes Some Headway In Her Meeting With IAAF Pres. Lamine Diack Radcliffe felt Diack was "understanding" in their meeting and the matter is now under consideration. But there is no chance the rule could be changed until the next congress in 2013.
- Paula Radcliffe Says BOA's Olympic Lifetime Ban Is Unfair On Dwain Chambers
*UK Writer Moved By Dwain Chambers Refusal To Quit, Says He Deserves A Second Chance "Not everyone loves their sport enough to reach its average retirement age even with untold millions on offer. When a man is willing to endure ridicule, disdain and guaranteed failure purely for the joy of taking part, is it too much to expect that he be given ... a second chance."
- Embarrassing: Blatant Marathon Course Cutter Still Claiming Innocence "I categorically deny this accusation. I ran the whole race. I have been in touch with the organisers saying I have proof that I ran the complete course. I was wearing my Garmin and that covers every stride I ran."
Affirmative Action Comes To Running
November's Kass Marathon In Kenya To Have Special Prize Purse For Foreigners Despite many races excluding Kenyans from prize money, this marathon in Kenya wants some good foreigners to show up.
More Kenyan News: Athletics Kenya Adopts New Constitution
- Veronica Campbell Brown Supports Doha's Bid For The 2017 Worlds Qatar has more cash than London for athlete ambassadors, we bet.
- Khalid Khannouchi To Be Ambassador For Delhi Half Marathon Next Month
- We Are "Very Supportive Of Tougher Penalties" On Drugs Cheats, Claims USOC Chief Says that the issue with LaShawn Merritt was never an attack on the IOC.
- Athletes At Pan-Am Games Warned To Watch What They Eat/Drink Because Could Accidentally Ingest Steroids
- WADA Director Says Lifetime Bans Not Enforceable
- Australia Records Huge Spike In Doping Cases Possibly caused by stimulant contained in many energy drinks.
Training Corner (More In The Training Forum)
- Anyone else run hard workouts in the very-early morning?
- Stitches, breathing, and racing
- Anyone ever made a comeback after something serious (cancer)?
- I lost the spark between me and running
- How to develop speed endurance
- Good Read: Blog From Scott Overall About His Transition From Track To Marathon And His 2:10:55 Debut At Berlin
- Radcliffe Shifts Olympic Training To The High Altitude Of Iten
*Paula Radcliffe 6-1 To Win London 2012 Marathon Gold
- World Champ Mo Farah Named European Athletes Of The Year Mariya Savinova was chosen for the women.
Usain Bolt Races Jimmy Kimmel
BMW Berlin Marathon Photos! Makau Takes Geb's World Record
Galen Rupp 26:48!!!
Usain Bolt And Jamaica Get World Record (International Visitors Click Here, Post-Race Press Conf. Here)
Simpson Gets Gold (International Visitors Click Here)
Ezekiel Kemboi Wins And Has The Greatest Celebration Ever (International Visitors Click Here)
Men's 800 Final (International Visitors Click Here, Post-Race Interviews Here)
A Scintillating Men's 10,000 Finish (US Visitors Only)
Train Smarter (More In The Training Forum)
- Lydiard vs magill vs malmo for summer cross country training
- Couple questions about summer training?
- Peter Snell Interview and his thoughts on Lydiard training
- Sprinter to Distance : My quest to run sub 2
Universal Sports Back To Top