Quote Of The Day
“Football, to which This Space devotes most of its year, is the most intense, high-pressure American sport. Track and field, to which we devote three pleasant weekends each spring, is every bit as intense and high-pressure as frisbee golf. It’s a nice contrast. Sure, there are plenty of prep athletes for whom track and field is prime time, serious stuff, and certainly a source of college scholarship money. But there are plenty of others – more than in the fall or winter – for whom track, and the spring season in general, are a source of relaxed fun.”
– Lancaster Online sports writer Mike Gross in article evaluating high school track and field. The piece generated so much “passionate outrage” from the track community that Gross immediately issued an apology. Ato Boldon was among the article’s commentors as he posted, “Mike Gross, kindly return whatever sum you were paid to write this. Then go look and see what percentage of the first ten NFL picks this year did track and field as well.”
- Johnny Gregorek 3:36 at Swarthmore over Robby Andrews (3:38)
- Your NCAA Stars of the Weekend - Top 10 Performers from NCAA Conference Action
- Absurd newspaper piece of high school track "journalism"
- When was the last time more than half of the Billboard top 40 was objectively good music?
- 5'10 150 pounds how much faster can I be?
- Best American 5000 meter runners in history
- Parent wants talented runner to quit - need arguments to convince her otherwise
- Could wikipedia not have picked a better picture of Rupp?