What About The Sport?
“Unfortunately, the problem with any discussion on the issue of the women’s distance is a large majority of the time, you are going to get a perspective or opinion that is self-serving. The way things stand right now, too many of us look at it simply from a ‘how would this affect me and my program’ [standpoint] rather than an overall view [of] it would ultimately be better for women and for our sport overall.”
– Iowa State University women’s head cross-country coach, Andrea Grove-McDonough, giving a very honest answer about the way decisions get made in the track and field world. Even though she’s talking specifically about the distance of women’s NCAA XC races (relative to men’s), her comments could be applied to many different issues at the professional level. The “self-serving” attitude she describes often holds our sport back when, for instance, you have elites constantly dodging each other on the pro circuit.
Super Hot on LetsRun: Cam Levins SMASHES 43 year-old Canadian record with a 2:09:22 !!!
- 2015 Boston international field announced - Meb will have his hands full with 5 sub 2:05, 10 sub 2:07 guys!!!
- Dennis Kimetto WR is going down 2nite in Dubai
- I am about to make a very bold prediction. Diego Estrada, in the next 2 years, will run a 2:05 marathon.
- Also at Houston - Aaron Braun 2:12:54; Kellyn Taylor 2:28:40
- German Fernandez - 2nd in UW 3K in 8:04
- Patriots Caught Cheating? Used Underinflated Footballs