2013 Drake Relays *Results *Friday's Complete Results *Saturday Drake Photos
Saturday: Queen Harrison Upsets Dawn Harper, Kellie Wells And Lolo To Take Home $25k, Nick Willis Wins Mile AP Zusana Hejnova won the 400m
hurdles with a world leader, Reese
had a world leader and Nick Willis won the mile by
over 3 seconds, plus Bjorn Otto won the stacked pole vault. *IAAF Recap
*Lolo Jones Says She's Read For "Twitter Attacks" After Her 4th Place Finish At Drake "I can take away some positives, but I feel like people will automatically attack me and turn it into something negative."
*After Finishing 4th, Hometown Hero Lolo Jones May Skip Future Drake Relays For "Sanity's Sake"
*Father To Be (And 30-Year-Old) Nick Willis To Run Shanghai, Pre And NY But Not Run In Europe Before Worlds
*HS: Josh Evans Runs 4:10.86 1,600 For Iowa State Record
On The Boards: Nick Willis Dominates Drake: 3:55.7 Pumps Up Crowd!
Friday: LRC Wow: Jenny Simpson Impresses With Drake Relays Record And World Lead In 1,500 They say the sequel rarely lives up to the original. Well, that wasn't true Friday night in Des Moines as Jenny Simpson's first race since her reunion with Mark Wetmore was simply SENSATIONAL. Mary Cain was way back but got a new HS record.
*MB: Tim Hutchens (sic) on Jenny Simpson "The World Champion is Back."
*MB: THE WETMORE FACTOR
*MB: Morgan Uceny adidas 4:17.71
*MB: Official 2013 Drake 1500 Thread
LRC Rest Of Friday's Pro Action: A Stunner In the 110 Hurdles, Jenn Suhr Loses, Jeremy Wariner Loses, Brittney Reese Wins All 3 of the Olympic 110 hurdlers were running for $25,000. None of them won as Andrew Riley pulled a stunner. Brittney Reese was very clutch.
*Aries Merritt Partially Blames Drake Loss On Wind As He's "Really Thin" And The Headwind Hurts Him More Than A "Muscular Guy" Like Riley
*IAAF Recap: Simpson And Cuba's Yarisley Silva Shine
*Quotes From Friday's Stars Simpson was pumped as her grandpa was a Drake grad.
More: Des Moines Register Coverage:
*1,500: Iowa Native Simpson Sets Stadium Record
*Huge 110H Upset
*Recap Of Friday's Highlights
The NFL Gets A Discus Thrower
*UK Discus Record Holder And Olympian Lawrence Okoye Decides To Quit Track And Signs With The San Francisco 49ers As An Undrafted Free Agent He's never played football before, but did well in the Combine with 4.78 seconds in the 40 yards, 35 inches in the vertical jump and 125 inches in the broad jump.
*Okoye: "I realise it's going to be a ridiculously tough process. I will have to work even harder than everyone else, I have a lot to catch up on."
- Tulsa Throws Their Hat In The Ring As A Potential US Bidder For The 2024 Olympics However, there is "little chance" of the USOC choosing Tulsa, which ranks as only the 45th largest city in the US.
- Tokyo 2020 Facing IOC Ethics Commission Backlash After Governor's Negative Comments About Istanbul
- Former Russian Olympic Committee Vice-President Claims Someone Is Trying To Poison Him
- Break In Procedure During Board Of Cycling Ireland Meeting Which Nominated Pat McQuaid For UCI Head Leads To Nomination Being Declared Void The decision to nominate him will now be left up to an "Extraordinary General Meeting".
The BBC Looks Back At The Horrific Systematic Doping Of East Germany
- The BBC Looks Back At The Horrifying Stories Of The East German Doping Scandals, Where Athletes Were Treated Like "Chemical Field Tests" "They talk of stolen childhoods and long-term health traded in for medals, of dissenters bundled into wooden crates and young women growing up to look and speak like men."
- BBC Looks At British 4 X 100 That Lost Gold Medal To East German Athletes And Asks The Question Why The IAAF Doesn't Correct The Record Books After This Well-Documented Doping
Former East German sprinter Ines Geipel: "I do think the IAAF should at least react to it, should maybe honour them again, those who only got silver, or should in principle look at these lists. I simply don't know why it isn't being dealt with seriously."
Other Doping News:
- USADA Head Travis Tygart Claims That Lance Armstrong Has Evidence That The UCI Covered Up Doping
- Aslı Çakır Alptekin Left Off Turkish Team For Mediterranean Games As She's Being Investigated For Doping After Abnormalities In Her Blood Embarassingly, because of doping ban, defending European 100H champ Nevin Yanıt will be unable to compete in the stadium that was named after her.
Countries Start To Name Their Marathon Squads For 2013 World Champs
- Kenya: Athletics Kenya Names World Champs Marathon Squad "Short List" Of 20 Athletes (10 Men, 10 Women) At first glance you might think "narrowing" the list down to 20 is absolutely useless; however, that leaves WR holder Patrick Makau and 2:03 man Geoffrey Mutai off the list. Those making the cut include defending World champions Abel Kirui and Edna Kiplagat as well as Boston/London champs Rita Jeptoo and Priscah Jeptoo and Eliud Kipchoge (2:05:30 debut at Hamburg last weekend).
- Japan: Japan Announces Marathon Squad For 2013 Moscow World Championships: 5 Men And 3 Women WC 5th placer Yukiko Akaba, who ran 2:24:43 in London, is left off because overseas races over their 'standard' of 2:24 weren't considered.
- MB: How does the US determine who goes to Worlds for the Marathon?
*US only sending three to World Champs in marathon?
Boston Charity Updates *One Fund Boston Site
- One Fund Boston Has Raised More Than $20 Million For Boston Marathon Bombing Victims
- Saucony Donating 100% Of Sales Of "#BostonStrong Lace Medallions" To Benefit Boston Marathon Victims And Families
- Florida High School Senior And His 13-Year-Old Quadruple Amputee Brother Trying To Raise $1 Million For Boston Marathon Amputees Their site has been live for 2 days and they've raised $13,000.
- New Balance Makes $1 Million Donation To The One Fund Boston
Also Boston-Related: Utah Man Arrested For Making Joke "Bomb Threat" To Sale Lake City Marathon
US Road Mile Championships *Results/Full Race Videos
Garrett Heath And Kate Grace Win US Road Mile Championships As 1,500 Medallists Manzano And Rowbury Struggle Heath won with 4:02.79 over Jeff See (4:02.91), Leo Manzano (4:03.59) and Craig Miller (4:03.60); Miles Batty was 6th (4:04.53). Grace won with 4:43.02,
outkicking Sara Hall (4:43.61) and defending champ Heather Kampf (4:43.69). Shannon Rowbury was back in 6th (4:45.39).
*Post-Race Video Interviews
We Celebrate The 2013 Boston Marathon's Pro Race A Week After The Fact *Top 25 Results *Boston Photos *Boston Pre-Race Photos
Women's Race Recap & Analysis
LRC The Seven-Year Itch Is Met: Rita Jeptoo Closes Hard To Win Her Second Title Hometown favorite Shalane Flanagan closed hard but not fast enough to give the US its first win since 1985.
LRC Shalane Flanagan And Kara Goucher On The Beauty And Emotion Of The Boston Marathon Even before the bombings, emotions were running high for Goucher and Flanagan. We talk about their tears, the pro-American crowd and media, the incredile Joan Benoit Samuelson and even what Kara and Shalane do when there isn't time to go to the Porta Potty but a race you've trained a lifetime for is about to start.
The Virgin London Marathon - The World's Most Competitive - Was Sunday *Top Results LRC: Photo Gallery
Women's Race: LRC Priscah Jeptoo Finishes First In Women's London Marathon Marred By Wheelchair Collision Jeptoo was very
over the second half, but the race was marred by the fact that Olympic champ Tiki Gelana was wiped out from behind in a horrific collision with a wheelchair racer.
*Top Results LRC: Photo Gallery
More London: *Video Of Wheelchair Collision
Good News: Wheelchair Racers May Start Before Professional Women Next Year
*Josh Cassidy (Wheelchair Racer Who Hit Gelana): "One of these years a woman is going to have a leg broken, a career ruined."
*London Honors The Victims In Boston
*Some Are Selling Boston Memorabilia On EBay And Giving Proceeds To Charity
Recommended Read: Paula Radcliffe And Her Husband Reflect On Her 2:15:25 Marathon WR, Which She Ran At London 10 Years Ago Her physio at the time, Gerard Hartmann, says she has the highest pain tolerance of anyone he'd ever worked with. "She would hurt me rather than me hurt her. She would actually break me down because I'd have to go so deep into the sinews, I would have to ice my thumbs afterwards I was in such pain."
- Kansas Relays: *Full Results *Cory Leslie Runs Away Early From Leo Manzano, Nick Symmonds, Lee Emanuel In Mile
Leslie ran 3:58.18 to Manzano's 4:00.13 and Symmonds' 4:00.21. Emanuel was 4th (4:01.98); AJ Acosta was 9th (4:11.73). Leslie also won the Blue Shoes Mile earlier this month.
*Article On Nick Symmonds And Beer Mile WR And Sponsorship
*Olympic Silver Medalist Michael Tinsley Wins 400H In World-Leading 48.77 At Kansas Relays 2005 world champ Bershawn Jackson was back in 5th (51.22).
*Kansas Meet Recap
Stanford Was Sunday *Women's Results *Men's Results
LRC Men’s Results and Flash Recap Ben True's big season continued
as he won the 5k but the most improved American is Eric Jenkins who came into the meet as a 14:04 guy but is now one of the 10 fastest collegians in history thanks to his 13:18!! Chris
Solinsky comeback to relevance took
a BIG step forward while Alan Webb's took a hit.
*Ashton Eaton Was 3rd in PV With 16 Feet, 3/4 Inch As His Fiance Brianne Theisen Won The HJ With 5-11-1/2
*Brett Larner Looks At Japanese Weekend Results: Suguru Osako (27:38.31) And Yuki Sato (28:39.50) Go 2-3 And Come Up Just Short Of 28:35.09 NR At Payton Jordan Elsewhere at Oda Memorial Meet in Hiroshima, Kenya's Paul Tanui won the 5k in 13:16.57 as Martin Mathathi was 6th (13:41.80) and Yuki Kawauchi 18th (14:09.88).
LRC Women’s Results and Flash Recap The good news is Jordan Hasay is now one of the 5 fastest collegians in history. The bad news is she missed the 'A' and 'B' standards. The breakthrough of the night came from Jamie Cheever who went from 9:51 to 9:29 in the steeple.
*MileSplit Weekend HS Coverage: At Payton Jordan Elise Cranny Finished 3rd, Running The 3rd Fastest All-Time HS 1500 At 4:15.07 The time is only behind the 4:10.77 by Mary Cain at Drake and Jordan Hasay's 4:14.50.
Stanford on the MB boards:
MB: Official Payton Jordan Updates Thread
MB: WEBB IS BACK, BABY, 13:37 -
MB: JORDAN HASAY: 32:06 UO/PAC 12 #1 ALL TIME, NO. 4 NCAA ALL TIME - WOW
MB: #3 AT HS 1500m-Elise Cranny at Payton Jordan -
MB: Olympic Triathlon Champion Brownlee runs 28:32 for 10k at Stanford
MB: Alistair Brownlee running Stanford 10K
MB: Twin Robertsons
Penn Relays Ended Saturday
LRC Saturday American
Women's 4 X 800 Record, Robby Andrews Kicks Too Soon, Emily Lipari Impresses And More
It was a great final day at Penn. The American record got crushed in the 4 x 800, Big East XC champ Emily Lipari somehow won the 4 x 800 for Villanova, excitement in the USA vs. the World DMR, Oregon won the 4 x mile, Penn State the 4 x 800, and German Fernandez and Robby Andrews were in the mile that saw
3 4 US guys go sub-4 for the first time. In the USA vs. the World races, the US won everything but the DMR and women's 4 x 100. *IAAF Recap
*IU's Derek Drouin Breaks Stones's Stadium Record At Penn With 7 feet, 7 3/4 inches
*Jamaican Women Win Penn Relays 4x100 Anchored By Olympic Champ Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce
*DyeStat Pen Relays High School Highlights
*Jamaican HSers Do Well As They Won 4 Of The 6 Available Relays At Penn
*Jamaican HSer Clive Pullen Wins Rare Penn Relays Double Winning TJ The Year After He Won The LJ
*Philly.com Recap Of American 4 X 800 Record
*AP Recap Of 4 X 800 Record And USA Vs. The World
*Two Great Quotes From Emily Lipari And Cas Loxsom That Show The Passion Of Penn Lipari "It's all about guts, and it's all about heart." Loxsom: "I heard all of those 'Nova fans with about 300 to go and said screw them."
*Villanova Women Somehow Upset Oregon In 4 X 800 Philly.com
*Jeff Demps Gets Traded He ran the 4 x 100 at Penn.
*USATF Recap With Quotes From Athletes
*Good Question: Why Aare Drake And Penn The Same Weekend?
Penn On The Boards: