Rieti Meet Sunday
Rieti Results Taoufik Makhloufi won the 800 in 1:43.74, Silas Kiplagat dominated the 1,500 as Andrew Wheating disappointed, Collis Birminghman won the 3k as Olympic steeple champ Ezekiel Kemboi and German Fernandez disappointed. Burundi youngster Francine Niyonsaba got her second win in three days
over Olympic champ
Mariya Savinova in the 800. Vivian Cheruiyot got the best of Sylvia Kibet in the 3,000m.
*IAAF Recap Of Rieti Valerie Adams had three throws over 20m.
*Aussie Collis Birmingham Stuns Olympic Medallists Ezekiel Kemboi & Thomas Longosiwa - Wins Men's 3k
*Lemaitre Finishes Season With 10.04 Win - But That Means He Failed To Break 10 This Year
Rieti On The Boards:
- Bobby Curtis - top American in Reiti 3k
- German Fernandez in 3k @ Reiti, Italy. PREDICTION
- Rieti Live stream Online
Random Distance News
- Kenya's Henry Kiplagat Finally Gets His Czechoslovakia Win In 27:51 At The Mattoni Prague Grand Prix Marathon World Record Holder Patrick Makau, who is in the midst of preparing for next month's Frankfurt marathon, only ran 30:30 for 10th.
- Olympic Marathon Champ Stephen Kiprotich Skips 7 Ranks In Ugandan Prisons Systems - Now Will Be Paid 1.2 Million Per Month 1.2 Million Ugandan shillings, that is, which is less than $500 per month.
- Heather Kampf (4:36.5) Beats Gabriele Anderson To Win Minnesota Mile As Criag Miller (4:01.4) Edges Aussie Craig Huffer
- National University Track & Field Championships Day 1 Results From Japan - 10,000 Finals
- New GTown Women's Coach Michael Smith Gets High Praise From Running Times Editor *Discuss
Brussels: The Last Diamond League Meet Of The Year Was Friday *Results *LRC Photos
LRC Aries Merritt Runs 12.80 To Destroy World Record Prior to Friday, the world record had come down .06 seconds in 21 years. On Friday, Aries Merritt lowered it .07 seconds. We look at the race and his amazing year. Video and post-race press conference.
Merritt: "This answers all the people who said I should pack it in and get a real job."
*Recommended Read: Phil Hersh Looks At Aries Merritt's Special Year Merritt: "This is a dream season for me, a dream season for anyone. I don't think anyone has ever done what I have done this year. Ever." We agree. From 13.09 to 12.80 in a single year. Well Done.
*Aries Merritt World Record Press Conference Highlights
*Aries Merritt World Record National Media Teleconference Excerpts
Brussels On The Boards:
- Centro: lane 3 is tough way to do it, watch out for the lane 4 hurdle!
- Jelimo run for 2nd place? wtf?
- Bolt 9.86 for the win in Brussels
- Bolt Throwing His Spikes Into the Crowd???
- Merritt 12.80! The world record is gone!
- 1500m/Centrowitz prediction thread
Paralympics: Oscar P Loses Again As A Brit Wins The 100 At Home
- Great Britain's Jonnie Peacock Is The Fastest Leg Amputee In The World As He Set A Paralympic Record Of 10.90 To Win The T44 100m Oscar P was back in 4th. US's Richard Browne was 2nd. *AW Article
- Oscar P Says Even Though He Could Compete In Blades Up To 9cm Taller, He Never Would Because He Wants To Know He's Won By "Hard Work And Talent" "I don't think every blade should be the same height, but I think it should be in relation to your body. For the sport to evolve and be taken seriously it has to happen."
- SA's Arnu Fourie Just Beat Oscar P Out For The Last 100m Medal With 11.08 To Pistorius' 11.18
- Pistorius Never Expected To Win The 100, But Was Disappointed To Finish Outside The Medals
- French Paralympic Sprint Queen Assia El Hannouni Is Retiring After Winning The T12 100/200 Titles For The Third Straight Olympics
Upcoming On The Roads: Tariku Bekele Will Debut In The Half Against Martin Lel; Great Women's Field At RnR Philly Half
- Sep. 9: Gabriele Anderson And Heather Kampf Running Grandma's Minnesota Mile
- Sep. 16: Star-Studded Field For RnR Philadelphia Half Marathon Includes Olympic 5,000 Champ Meseret Defar, NYC Champ Firehiwot Dado, & Boston Champ Sharon Cherop Ethiopian record-holder Mare Dibaba NYC runner-up Buzunesh Deba also in field.
- Sep. 30: Olympic Bronze Medallist Tariku Bekele Will Make His Half Marathon Debut In Lisbon He'll be up against former World Half Marathon champ and three time London Marathon winner Martin Lel.
- NYC: RW Brief Chat With Trials 11th Placer & 2:12 Runner Ryan Vail, Who Will Run His 2nd Marathon At NYC He says he thinks German Fernandez can break 13:00 in the 5k next year.
- NYRR Catches Up With Scotty Bauhs In His Buildup To His Marathon Debut At NYC He talks about the surprise of losing his shoe sponsor even after qualifying for the 2011 World Championships.
- This Weekend: IAAF Preview Of IAU 24-Hour World Championships How far do these athletes run in a day? The last men's winner ran 170 miles in 24 hours (8:28 pace). The top woman has ran 158.5 (9:05 pace). What's crazy is they run this on a 1,554m looped course.
- Rovereto Distance Results: Jenny Simpson Gets 2nd In 1,500 With 4:04.07 As Kenyans Mary Kuria (4:03.18) And Eunice Sum (4:05.85) Take 1-3 Hayle Ibrahimov Aze won the 5,000 in 13:11.34 as Andrew Bumbalough was 2nd (13:28.34), Elliott Heath was 10th (13:44.05) and Bobby Curtis was 13th (13:46.30). Kenyan junior Edwin Meli won the 800 in 1:45.01.
*IAAF Full Meet Recap *EA Recap *Full Results
- LRC Taoufik Makhloufi Comes Up Short In Quest For World Lead - Wins 1,500 In 3:32.53 The Olympic champ was way better than everyone in the field but was unable to win the battle with the clock as the second rabbit only got him to 1,200 in 2:50.
Andrew Wheating was in the race and went for it as well but faltered at the end. Maggie Vessey and Brenda Martinez certainly didn't falter at all as they had great days + Duane Solomon in the 400m. *1,500m Race Video *IAAF *EA *LRC Zagreb Preview
*List Of US Performances Carmelita Jeter, Ginnie Crawford, Jason Richardson, Ryan Bailey, Maggie Vessey, Allyson Felix and Reese Hoffa all won their events.
*Britain's Martyn Rooney Wins 400m In 45.78
If You Missed This: U.S. Women's Mountain Running Team Won Gold At World Mountain Running Champions Morgan Arritola led with a 3rd-place finish. *IAAF
Patrick Makau Loses A 10 Miler, And Other Weekend Results
- Tilburg 10 Mile And Women's 10k: Patrick Makau Takes 3rd (45:41) In A Close Race As Pius Kiprop Wins In 45:38 Over John Mwangangi (45:40) Gladys Cherono won the 10k in 30:57 over Emily Chebet (30:58) and Joyce Chepkirui (31:10). Linet Masai was 4th.
- Sweden's Carolina Kluft Has Her Last Competition And Retires "It's sad, wonderful, somber, fantastically fun, and also nice."
- Tyler McCandless Repeats As Kaui Marathon Champion
- Nicholas Kurgat Wins Virginia Beach Half Marathon In 1:04:45 Rei Ohara won the women’s race in 1:13:38. *Full Results
Morgan Uceny Gets A Hero's Welcome In Her Home Town "I just felt amazing and I was like, this is it, this is going to happen for me. And the next thing I know I was on the ground. When I knew it wasn't going to happen, I just reacted. I didn't think I should get up, there was no thinking at all. I was just devastated and I couldn't have moved if I wanted to. I knew it was over and I just didn't do anything about it."
Lille Half Marathon: Ezekiel Chebii Wins Lille Half In 59:05 Over Bernard Koech (59:10) Eliud Kipchoge made his half debut in 59:25 for 3rd. Filomena Chepchirchir won the women's race in 68:06. *IAAF Recap
*MB: lille half marathon won in 59:03
Thursday: The Track Season Is Winding Down, But We Hope You Saved Something For Zürich *Results *Yahoo Photos
2012 Weltklasse Recap: Rudisha Loses, Bolt And Blake Win, Drama In Women's Steeple, And Americans Fizzle In 5,000m It's the best one-day track meet in the world for a reason - it gets the stars. This year was no different and there were a few shockers. In the men's 5,000, Bernard Lagat broke 13:00 for the first time this year but his AR survived as Galen Rupp finished ninth in 13:09.
LRC David Rudisha Gets Beaten Mohammed Aman ruined David Rudisha's perfect season for the second straight year.
*Other Recaps: *IAAF *Athletics Weekly *Reuters Recap
*Rudisha Is Lucky The Weather Was Great For The Olympics: "I never feel good when the track is wet and it is raining." www.independent.co.uk
800 Video (US Visitors)
*US Men With Gay & Bailey Beat Jamaican "B" Team In 4 X 100
*Grabarz Wins The Diamond League HJ Title & Now Wants To Buy A Porsche A Year After Losing Lottery Funding
Pleads Guilty Gives Up
USADA To Ban Lance Armstrong For Life And Strip Him Of All 7 Tour de France Titles USADA chief exec Travis Tygart: "It is a sad day for all of us who love sport and athletes. It's a heartbreaking example of win at all costs overtaking the fair and safe option. There's no success in cheating to win." *ESPN
*MB: BREAKING Report: Lance Abandoning Fight vs Doping Charges, TDF Titles Gone
*Lance Armstrong's Full Statement On USADA Refers to USADA's investigation as an "unconstitutional witch hunt."
Getting High Praise In The Email Inbox:
Mediocre Great Britain: You Lived Up To Your Name "For a country where pessimism is now part of the national consciousness, the Olympics were a resounding success. Not okay, not pretty good, but truly Great ..."
*IAAF's 12 Highlights Of London 2012
*London Athletes Face Post-Olympic Blues It now even has an official name: Post-Olympic Stress Disorder, or POSD.
LRC The Incredible Meb Keflezighi Reacts On Just Missing A Medal, Ryan Hall & Abdi Talk About Dropping Out Post-race reaction from the Americans and the medallists. Meb used the fact he was slighted and not introduced to the worldwide audience at the start, even though he was the only Olympic medallist in the field, to fuel him. Ryan Hall reacts to his first
non-top-10 result and Wilson Kipsang says he has no regrets about the 14:11 3rd 5k.
Olympic Marathon: LRC The Unheralded Stephen Kiprotich Of Uganda Stuns The Field And Wins The 2012 Olympic Men's Marathon Uganda's only Olympic medal of the 2012 Games has a great color to it and it came in a historic event, as after getting dropped at the 35km mark (21.7 m), Kiprotich stormed back to the lead at the 23-mile mark and stunned the world and Kenyans Wilson Kipsang and Abel Kirui as the US's Meb Keflezighi was a surprise 4th. Kipsang tried to do his best Sammy Wanjiru impersonation with a crazy 14:11 5k early in the race, but that 5km segment at 1:59 marathon pace may have done him in later.
*USA Today: Kiprotich: "Now, I am known and I am happy that I am known."
*RRW Recap *AP Recap
LRC Mo Farah Completes The Double As The British Fans Go Wild The British fans got what they wanted on the final day of Olympic track competition (marathon tomorrow is on the roads and doesn't end in the stadium) as Farah won a tactical 5,000. Bernard Lagat came up just short in his quest for his first Olympic medal for the US as he was 4th, Rupp 7th and Lomong 10th.
*Picture: Mo Farah And Usain Bolt Swap Victory Poses
*Mo Farah Says He Wants To Move To The Marathon Eventually, But Not Yet
*MB: Official men's 5000m thread *That was the worst 5000m final in an Olympics ever
W 1,500: LRC Disaster Strikes Twice As Morgan Uceny Gets Tripped Again And A Former Doper Wins Gold Disaster struck twice in the 1,500 final. First at the bell when, unbelievably, Morgan Uceny was sent sprawling for the second straight year. It struck again a lap later when a former doper won gold and her compatriot, who has gone from 4:18 to 4:01 this year, nabbed silver.
*Pat Forde: "Saddest sight of the Games"
*Woods: "Half a lifetime of preparation, of dreaming, shattered in an instant."
*Battaglia: Uceny's medal hopes fall - again
*MB: *I am crying for Morgan Uceny *Uceny goes down! *US should protest - Let's re-run the 1,500
*UK 1,500 Runner Lisa Dobriskey Voices Concerns Over Turkey's Asli Çakir Alptekin Being Clean Dobriskey said: "I'll probably get into trouble for saying this, but I don't believe I'm competing on a level playing field.
Bolt Wins 200 To Become A "Legend" Bolt became the first man to win the 100 and 200 at back-to-back Olympics and become a legend in his own words. We thought he was already a legend. After leading the Jamaica 1-2-3 sweep, Bolt trashed Carl Lewis, saying he has "no respect for him" as a result of Carl's thinly-veiled drug allegations at Bolt.
More Bolt-Lewis: *Bolt Rips Lewis
Ashton Eaton, Trey Hardee Go 1-2 In Decathlon Hardee: "It's safe to say my reign is over. I still think my best decathlon is ahead of me, but Ashton's are too."
*Ashton Eaton: "20 years on you will have people saying 'I was sitting on my couch, watching Hardee and Eaton win.'"
*USATF Release On 1-2 Finishes In Decathlon And TJ Includes athlete quotes.
Allyson Felix Wins 200 Gold As USA Crushes It With 7 Medals & 3 Golds Brittney Reese also won gold as did Aries Merritt.
The meet was "was
slipping away" from the US when everything got turned around with a ton of medals. Lashinda Demus had to settle for silver despite running 52.77. *USATF
Release On Historic Day
*Layden: Allyson Felix finally strikes gold on banner night for US track and field
*After Coming Up Short 4 Years Ago, Allyson Felix And Brittney Reese Come Through For Gold In 200 And LJ In 2012
110H: Aries Merritt Is On Fire - PRs At 12.92 As US Goes 1-2 Jason Richardson was a little disappointed he got silver.
Epstein: Merritt quest perfectionism pays off with gold medal in 110m hurdles
Reuters: After showing great promises as jr. world champ, Merritt arrives on center stage
A Great Read: LRC Men's 1,500m Reaction, Leo Manzano Talks About His Medal, Matt Centrowitz His Near Miss, Makhloufi, Kiprop, Willis, More LRC gives you all the athlete reaction from the crazy men's 1,500m, which saw Leo Manzano take home the first US Olympic 1,500m medal since 1968. Leo says he felt awful but his prayer was answered; Centrowitz says he was running for gold and wouldn't change a thing; Asbel Kiprop praises Leo; Nick Willlis is amazed by Makhloufi's recovery but embarrassed by his own showing. What happened to the Kenyans? What about Nick Willis? What about Makhloufi's injury? *LRC Leo Photo Gallery
Race Recap: LRC 1,500 Final: Taoufik Makhloufi Dominates As Leo Manzano Surprises With Silver (updated) Makhloufi's last 300 was just way better than everyone else's, as anyone that tried to go with him paid a big price. Leo Manzano had the next-best last lap as he went from 10th to 2nd as Matt Centrowitz just missed a medal by .04. *IAAF Recap
400 Final: 19-Year-Old Kirani James Wins Grenada's First Olympic Gold In The 400 Luguelin Santos took silver and Lalonde Gordon bronze. Kirani James is Mr. Clutch at age 19. Incredible.
*Grenada Prime Minister Declares National Holiday To Celebrate Kirani James' 400 Win
SI: US 400m Dynasty Comes To An End
*MB: Kirani James 43.94!!!!
Ryan Hall Out of NYC
Paula Won't Quit
Paula Radcliffe Ignores Those Who Tell Her She'll Never Run Again, Has Foot Surgery & Is Now Targeting 2012 London Marathon LetsRun friend Amol Saxena apparently did the surgery again.
More News From The UK: Adam Gemili Runs 20.38 - Fastest UK Time In 3 Years
Paralympics *Video Highlights
Coldplay, Rihanna And Jay-Z Play At Closing Ceremonies
*Live Closing Ceremony Coverage
David Weir Completes 800, 1,500, 5,000, Marathon Quadruple *More On Weir
*Brits Mad Paralympic Marathon Not Shown Live
Paralympics = More Ways To Cheat (With Drugs & Technology)
Two Paralympic Powerlifters Banned For HGH Positives
*NY Times Looks At Technodoping - That's When You Cheat With Technology In The Paraplympics
*Science Of Sport Looks More At Oscar P Case & What It Means For Future Of Sport
Ridiculous: Oscar P Is Shortlisted For Paralympic Sportsmanship Award Days After Nearly Being Disciplined For Whining It is given to one "who is fair, honest and is uncompromising in his or her values and prioritises the promotion of the Paralympic Movement above personal recognition."
Oscar Pistorius Dominates To Win Final Track Gold His time was 46.68, which was a slow time for Oscar but a Paralympic record. Pistorius won by nearly three seconds and this was his first individual gold in London.
More Paralympics: *More On Pistorius's Gold
*Crowd Of 80,000 Delighted With Pistorius' Gold
*200m Gold Medallist At Paralympics Is Glad To Have A Disability
Brussels: The Last Diamond League Meet Of The Year Was Friday *Results *LRC Photos
Brussels Diamond League Recap The 2012 DL season came to an end with some great action. The men's 1,500 was worth a watch as Silas Kiplagat got the win over Olympic Champ
Makhloufi as Centrowitz mixed it up. In the women's 800, Francine Niyonsaba arrived as a star as two Americans did well. Plus redemption for Brimin Kipruto and Vivian Cheruiyot.
*Athletics Weekly Full Meet Recap *IAAF Recap
Kenyan Press Chronically Unhappy: 4 Kenyans Win Diamond Titles On Friday - But Press Harps On Fact None Of 4 Won Gold In London
Lance Gets Punished
So, So Great: Lance Armstrong Banned From Chicago Marathon
*Armstrong's Agent Whines & Complains "Just the latest chapter in USADA's never-ending vendetta against Lance."
*MB: Lance denied entry into Chicago Marathon
Wow: Parents Of 4 X 100 Gold Medallist Tianna Madison Sue Her, Saying Their Own Daughter Has Defamed Them This isn't a case of an "absent parent" trying to cash in, as both mom and dad were in London.
The NYC Marathon Field Gets A Little Bit Deeper
- US Olympians Amy Hastings, Julie Culley, & Janet Bawcom Added To NYC Field They join the previously announced Kim Smith. Also previously announced for the men were Meb, Abdi, Hall, Hartmann, Gotcher, Arciniaga, Carlson, Bauhs and Vail.
- After So Many Complaints, NYC Marathon Modifies Their "No Baggage Policy" Runners now offered two options: No-Baggage "Early Exit" or checked bag.
- RW Brief Chat With Julie Culley
- Amy Hastings Moving To Rhode Island Temporarily To Train With NZ's Kim Smith In The Build-up For The NYC Marathon
Other Race Previews/Results: Farah, Geb, Makau News + A New PV World Lead
- No Mo-Geb Duel: Mo Farah Drops From Great North Run Half Marathon And Will Run An Invitational 2-Mile Which Has Been Added Instead Farah says with the stress of taking care of the two newborns he hasn't got in enough training for a half marathon. Haile Gebrselassie has also dropped from the field with a knee injury.
- Patrick Makau Racing Prague Metro 10k Tomorrow (start list)
- Olympic Silver Medalist Björn Otto Sets World-Leading Pole Vault And German NR At 6.01m
- Kenyan Charles Munyeki Will Chase The $25,000 Bonus For Breaking the CR At Toronto Waterfront Marathon On Oct. 14th The record is 2:07:58 and his best is 2:07:06 from Chicago 2009.
- This Is What Happens Without Democracy: Beijing Marathon Told To Find A New Date As Communist Party Meeting Takes Over That Weekend
Craig Mottram Will Run A Marathon, Usain Bolt Might Play Soccer
- Craig Mottram Says He's Done With The Track And Moving Up To The Marathon He'd like to debut at London or Boston in the spring.
- Usain Bolt Might Play Manchester United Charity Game Next Summer Unlikely this happens as it's on June 3rd, which is right before some key DL meets and the August World Championships.
- Liu Xiang Recovering From Surgery And Expecting To Be Able To Walk Again In Early October
- Top NZ Athletes Nick Willis And Valerie Adams Have Promised To Support And/Or Comete At Feburary's Christchurch Meet
US Collegiate And Pro News
- With Sheila Reid Gone, What Are Jordan Hasay's Chances At Finally Winning The Women's NCAA XC Individual Title? She's the favorite as she barely lost to Reid last year, but she could face challenges from others such as Abbey D'Agostino, Katie Flood and Natosha Rogers.
- University Of Tennessee LJer Charged For Beating Ex-Girlfriend With His Hand Cast
- Evan Jager Gets Warm Welcome Home From 1,000 People Packed Into The High School Gymnasium
Mark Your Calendar For October 28th: Frankfurt Marathon Is Shaping Up To Be A Great Race
Frankfurt Marathon Adds Four 2:06 And Under Runners To Field To Challenge Patrick Makau In His WR Attempt Yemane Tsegay (who ran 2:04:48 in Rotterdam), Albert Matebor (2:05:25), Bazu Worku (2:05:25) and Gilbert Kirwa (2:06:14) have all been added to the field.
Labor Day Action - New Haven 20km - *Race Website/Videos/Interviews
LRC Matt Tegenkamp Does The 20k - Wins 2012 USA 20km Title In American Course Record Time Of 58:30 For years, it was said Teg doesn't run the 10k, but he does do that and now even the 20k!! Former Oregon
Duck Luke Puskedra ran a gutsy race, but Teg blew him away at the end to get the win in a new American course record time of 58:30 - the second-fastest
20 km road race ever run by
an American - in a race where the top 5 ran 60:00 or faster. In the women' race, Renee Metivier Baillie (67:08) won as four broke 69:00. *RRW Article
*Tegenkamp On Puskedra: "He made me work for it. I ran that race in the hardest way possible. I didn't know what I was doing out there."
More On The Oscar P Blade Length Debate *Video: Oscar P Loses 200
- Oscar P Apologises For The Timing Of His Outburst Against Oliveira, But Could Still Be Hit With A Punishment From The IPC However, the IPC has agreed to sit down with him and talk about the blade length issue.
- IPC Reveals That Pistorius First Expressed Concerns About Blade Length 6 Or 7 Weeks Ago
- Alan Oliveira Confirms That He's Improved By About A Second Since Switching To The Longer Blades He increased his height from 1.76m to 1.81m just three weeks ago. Under IPC rules, he could go up to 1.85m. So as an disabled athlete you can essentially change your height to find the optimum stride length.
US Marathon News
- Olympic Trifecta: Meb + Abdi Will Join Ryan Hall At The 2012 ING New York City Marathon All three US Olympic men's marathoners plus Hartmann, Gotcher, Arciniaga, Carlson, Bauhs and Vail will run New York this year. New York also announced they are going to offer $50,000 in prize money per gender for Americans only.
- Good Interview: Runner's World Q&A With Meb The cobblestones in London really beat up his feet and he hasn't run since the Olympics, but he thinks he'll be ready by NYC. Also talks about a London mishap with Ryan Hall's drink. Some quotes "that weren't QOD" in there.
Mo Farah/Usain Bolt News
Olympic 5,000m Final Was So Loud That Finish Line Camera Shook And The Official Finish Photo Was Blurry For The First Time Ever It
didn't happen in any other
race in London. Farah mania > Bolt mania in London.
Mo Farah's Wife Gives Birth To Twin Girls
Usain Bolt Gets Honored At Manchester United Halftime
Lausanne DL *Full Results
LRC: Matt Centrowitz Runs 3:31.96 For Third The twenty-two-year-old American continued to roll as in his first race post-London, he skipped the 3:32s and 3:33s to run 3:31.96 and come close to the win in Lausanne.
*Video Of Centro's Race
*MB: CENTRO 3:31!! *What the hell happened? Centro 3:31, Rupp DNF, Manzano/Willis 3:34
Results: Yohan Blake 9.69, Usain Bolt 19.58, Pamela Jelimo Over Mariya Savinova, Matt Centrowitz 3:31, Leo Manzano 3:34, Galen Rupp DNF The two Jamaican sprint stars came to play in Lausanne. But the mid-d and distance action left you wondering how the Olympic results were as they were. In the 1,500, the American silver medallists didn't really show up as Leo Manzano was 10th and Galen Rupp didn't finish, as Silas Kiplagat got the win and Matt Centrowitz showed why he's the best American miler when healthy. In the women's 800, Pamela Jelimo got the win over the 2012 Olympic champion, and in the 3,000, Jenny Simpson was dead last - proving in our minds that her problems in 2012 aren't a matter of confidence or tactics, but rather of fitness.
*IAAF Recap *AP *BBC
*MB: The Good: CENTRO 3:31!! *9.69 - My head just exploded
The Bad: What the hell happened? Centro 3:31, Rupp DNF, Manzano/Willis 3:34
The Ugly: JennyB needs a new coach fast
Monday/More Weekend Track Action
- Monday In Linz, Austria: Kirani James, Felix Sanchez Impress Overall recap.
- *Men's 1,000m: Seurei Wins, Nate Brannen 2:16.52, Over Nick Willis (Missed NZ Record By .01), Wheating, Torrence Willis for some reason was getting top billing earlier. Brannen deserves it. He is in fabulous shape and fell in London. Kirani James won the 400 (44.46) as Oscar P was 6th (46.91). In the 800, Hannah England ran 1:59.66 to beat Anna Pierce and Molly Beckwith. Felix Sanchez won the 400H; Michael Tinsley was 3rd. Other action included a poor steeple showing by Bridget Franek (9:52.90) and bronze medallist Kellie Wells losing to US runners Ginnie Crawford and Queen Harrison in the 100H. *Full Results *Cory Martin Wins City Shot *MB: Brannen 2:16:52 1000m
Olympic Track & Field *Daily Schedule/Results *Complete T&F Schedule *LRC Check Prediction Contest Scores/Change Picks
Saturday: W800: LRC The World Champion Is Now The Olympic Champion As Mariya Savinova Wins Comfortably Over Caster Semenya (updated) Russia's Mariya Savinova came from way back to win the gold comfortably in 1:56.19 and retain her global superiority. Caster Semenya had a blazing last
100 to grab the silver, but waited
way too long to kick to challenge for gold. Defending champ Pamela Jelimo led with 200 to go, but faded badly and was the first outside the medals.
*David Epstein: "Silver Medal in 800 meters Offers Little Clarity in Semenya Speculation" Talks about speculation as to how Semenya came out of nowhere again to get silver and points out how those who objected to her in the past (such as Savinova) seem to be fine with her now that she's losing.
Saturday Relay Action:
- Bolt Is 6-For-6: Usain Bolt And Jamaica Make History With A New 4 X 1 World Reocrd (36.84) Bolt gets his back-to-back triple crowns. The US was second, actually equalling the old WR, but still well beaten by Jamaica. *IAAF Event Report
- Tim Layden: "In a Games filled with memorable moments, few resonate like Bolt"
- It Was A Disappointing Games For "White Lightning" Christophe Lemaitre This article was from before the 4 x 1 final, but we doubt he's any happier, as France just missed a medal.
- US Women Win 4 X 4 Relay With Fastest Time In 19 Years Allyson Felix gets her 3rd gold medal of the games, Sanya Richards-Ross her 2nd. Richards-Ross said, "By the time I got the stick, it was basically a victory lap." *MB: ALLYSON FELIX JUST SPLIT 48.8
W 5,000: LRC Meseret Defar Stunningly Stops The Coronation Of Tiruneh Dibaba The script was all set. Tirunesh Dibaba was to complete the "Double Double" and become the first women track athlete with four individual golds. Only thing was, the person making history ended up being Meseret Defar.
*Reuters Defar's golden focus pays dividends Defar said she's had great health and says she changed training to prepare for a tactical race. The religious Defar says she feels "born again."
*Defar Says She Will Now Move Up To The Marathon She's ran one half before in 67:45. Dibaba has said she's making the same move, so their rivalry isn't over yet.
Could Be Was Epic:
LRC David Rudisha Becomes A Legend By Winning Gold With A World Record In The Greatest 800 Race In History updated David Rudisha went after in London and delivered, as he became the first person to break 1:41 in the 800. The rest of the field went after Rudisha and delivered as well as 7 of 8 runners PRed in a truly epic race where places 1-8 set new all-time best time-for-place marks. Duane Solomon and Nick Symmonds became the 2nd and 3rd Americans to break 1:43 and amazingly neither medalled.
*MB: Rudisha 1:40.91 WORLD RECORD!!
*Epstein: How low can Rudisha go in 800?
*Science Of The Sport Analyzes The Olympic 800 Final And Rudisha's Race Strategy
LRC Duane Solomon And Nick Symmonds React To Their Historic Olympic 800s That Leave Them Short Of The Medals The sub-1:43 club has two more Americans. Unbelievably both of them will leave London without medals. Nick Symmonds ran faster in the final than he thought was humanly possible for him.
*IAAF Article On Rudisha's WR 17-year-old Kenyan Timothy Kitum, who got bronze, said, "[Rudisha] told me he was going to go fast for the line. He advised me not to follow him and to go for silver. That's why (Mohammed) Aman failed. That was our plan."
*Usain Bolt & David Rudisha: Olympic Stars United In Greatness The 800 was crazy; British runner Andrew Osagie's 1:43.77 was enough to get him 4th all-time UK and would have won any of the past three Olympic finals ... but here it got him last.
*Ultimate Track Showdown: Bolt Vs. Rudisha Over 400 Both have hinted they'd be up for it. Props to whatever meet organizer makes this happen. *MB: More Dominant: Bolt or Rudisha ?
LRC Column/Editorial: Sarah Attar Makes Olympic Track And Field History For Saudi Arabia In 800m, But Is It Enough? Imagine the outrage if the South African delegation made its black athletes walk behind the whites and told them to not give interviews or mingle with whites."It's time for the IOC to stop supporting sexism. Gender discrimination should be treated no differently than racial discrimination. ... How about for a start, the Saudi women come out first at the closing ceremonies? Come out before anyone else enters the stadium, that would be a step in the right direction."
Brussels Diamond League Photos: Aries Merritt 12.80 And More
LRC Guest Columnist: Lactic Acid - Is It All That Bad?
LRC From Time Magazine To NBC Commentators: Why is everyone still so confused about lactate (and exercise physiology)? LRC guest scientific contributor, PhD Matthew Goodwin, takes a look at some common exercise physiology misconceptions. His #1 target: The idea that lactic acid causes muscle soreness.
Man Fails Miserably In Marathon-In-A-Suit WR Attempt He had a 3:36 PR and wanted to break the 3:24:46WR ... but he finished in 5:06:09, throwing up six times and drinking five beers (in that order).
LetsRun.com T-Shirts Are Here Labor Day Special, 4 Different Shirts $50
LRC The Wait Is Over: Buy Your LetsRun.com Shirts Today The Empire State Building was built in 2 years, the US put a man on the moon in 8 years, and 12 years later the LetsRun.com T-Shirts are here. 4 designs coming from you. We've got a Labor Day Special: All 4 shirts, $50 with free shipping.
- Video: Paul Ryan WINS In Photo Finish At The 1990 Chicago Marathon
- Interactive Political Marathon Battle: Bush V. Gore V. Ryan V. Palin And More ... Who Wins?
- Ceremony Marks The 40th Anniversary Of The Terrorist Attack And Murder Of 11 Israeli Athletes And German Policeman At Munich 1972 Olympics
- Japan Hammer Thrower Barred From Joining IOC Commission Because Of His Election Campaign Methods Has Taken His Appeal To CAS
- Paul Ryan Time Calculator: How Fast Could You Run If You Were Paul Ryan?
*MB: Paul Ryan's "Sub-3" Marathon
Nick Symmonds' Beer Mile AR
Lausanne 1,500: Centro 3:31.96
Saturday Photo Gallery: Usain And Mo
Goodbye London 2012 - Closing Ceremony Photos Gallery
LRC Asks Carmelita Jeter & Jason Richardson About Mark Block
Latest: Britain's Sunday Herald Picks Up Block Story & USADA Says "There is an investigation going on."
*Pat Forde Of Yahoo Sports Picks Up On Controversy
LRC Carmelita Jeter And Jason Richardson Answer Questions About Banned Agent Mark Block LRC's Weldon Johnson asked Jeter and Richardson about their association with banned agent Mark Block. Jeter and Richardson, to their credit, didn't dodge the questions. To say there was tension in the air is an understatement. *Discuss
*Associated Press Picks Up Story: US sprinter Carmelita Jeter defends friendship with suspended agent Mark Block
*The Guardian Picks Up Story: "A wonderful night for the USA's athletics team turned sour when Carmelita Jeter was questioned about her links with the controversial former coach, Mark Block."
*NY Daily News *Daily Mail *San Diego Tribune
Day 8 Olympic Photo Gallery: Women's 4 X 100 WR, Uceny Falls, Women's 5,000m Final
Day 7 Olympic Photo Gallery: Rudisha And Bolt
Day 6 Photo Gallery: Allsyon Felix, Aries Merritt, Brittney Reese, Women's 1,500m Semis
Day 5 Photo Gallery: Leo 1,500m Silver, Men's High Jump, Men's 800m Semis, Men's Discus Final
Day 4 Photo Gallery: King James, Felix Sanchez, Jenn Suhr, Women's Steeple
Day 3 Photo Gallery: Men's 100, Men's Steeple, Women's 400, More
Women's Olympic Marathon Photo Gallery
Day 2 Photo Gallery: Olympic 10,000m Final Photo Gallery
Help Out A LRCer Who Has Terminal Cancer: Help Cancer Guy
A Legend Passes Too Young
LRC Eight-Time US Cross-Country Champion Pat Porter Dies In Plane Crash Updated: We've added a great photo of Porter with 3-time World XC Champ Lynn Jennings.
*Authorities: "There are no indications as to what may have caused this accident." Porter and his 15-year-old son and a neighbohood friend have perished.