- Marta Dominguez To Run Road Race This Weekend In Her First Race Since Operation Galgo, Childbirth She was the steeplechase champ in 2009.
- Molly Huddle Wishes She Could Run A Mile With Oprah
- If He Can Run Faster, Drug Cheat Rashid Ramzi Will Compete In London Maybe he's running slower since he's no longer on the sauce.
- Update On Hansons And Dot McMahan In Detroit Free Press
Tyson Gay, Usain Bolt, Sprint News
- On ESPN Chat, Tyson Gay Says He Hopes To Be Competing By February
- Tyson Gay Says Titans Running Back Chris Johnson Would Run 10-10.3 In The 100m
- Digicell Contest Winners In Jamaica Winner Dinner With Usain Bolt At His Restaurant Tracks And Records We had no idea Bolt had a restaurant but wish it had a better name.
- Borlée Twins Trekking Across Icelandic Glacier With 4 X 400 Teammates In Bonding Exercise BBC
- Edwin Moses Backs London for 2017 Worlds
If Only The IAAF Was Half This Strenuous In Accepting Kenyan Age Group Records
Guinness Won't Record 100-Year-Old's Marathon As Oldest-Ever World Record As He Can't Produce A Birth Certificate His passport and a letter from the Indian govt. saying there were not birth certificates in 1911 won't suffice. And yet nearly every week a new teen Kenyan emerges.
From Humble Beginnings, SteeplerTravis Mahoney Is Now An Olympic Hopeful The Temple star, who admits he was very "immature" in HS, can't believe it but it's true and he is redshirting to focus on an Olympic bid.
News From Europe
- Recommended Read: Olympic 200m Silver Medallist Darren Campbell Tells How He Was Repeatedly Offered Drugs But Always Turned It Down The guy actually quit the sport as a youngster as he didn't want to dope. A MUST read.
- 4th Placer In Steeple - Bouabdellah Tahri - Says He Was Only 80% Fit In Daegu Due To Injury But Is Pumped For London 2012 After Having Surgery
- Former Olympic Bronze Medallist Kelly Sotherton To Return To Heptathlon For London 2012 Recently, she had been focusing on the 400H. *Reuters *Athletics Weekly
Kara Goucher To Be Coached By Jerry Schumacher At OTC Elite And Train With Shalane Flanagan And Lisa Koll
*MB: Kara Goucher Joins Schumacher's Group The rumors of the Skecher's deal appear to have been incorrect.
Matt Centrowitz's Sister Lauren Centrowitz Wins Mayor's Cup www.baa.org Princeton alum David Nightingale won the men's race for New York Athletic Club in 23:46.
Other US News
- Who Really Has The Best NCAA Cross-Country Team Of All Time? Statistical math formula calculates point totals based on teams' performances at NCAA Champs each year. Top 5 teams based on this are Wisconsin, Arkansas, Colorado, Providence, and Oregon.
- Come Here To Hear Tyson Gay Talk About His Pre-Olympic Plans On Tuesday At Noon (ET)
- Profile On Bobby Curtis And His Insomnia Problems Which Have Plagued Him For Much Of His Running Career
Sort Of Related To Running
- Spanish Prince Gives Haile G "Equivalent Of The Nobel Prize For The Spanish Speaking Countries" Haile gets it for "for his sporting and human excellence."
*5 "Heroes Of Fukushima" Also Get Award
*MB: Haile G Receives Big Award - What Do You Think Of His Outfit?
- Why Do People Hate
Ryan HallTim Tebow? If you think the openness of their faith doesn't have a lot to do with it, then you aren't very smart.
- Usain Colt Wins In England The big, leggy colt impressed.
Want To Have Cocktails With Ryan And Sara Hall? Bid On The Items In The NYRR Fall Auction The cocktails will cost you $1,450.
43 Years Ago From Tuesday, Bob Beamon Broke The Long Jump World Record By More Than 2 Feet Interesting to note that he reveals he was initially excited not because he knew it was a monster jump, but rather simply because he hadn't fouled.
For Our Friend Mike Rohl
2004 Olympic 20k Racewalk Champion Retires
Today's Sign Of The Apocalypse *Discuss
Marion Jones To Represent The US State Department Abroad Respected Olympic writer Alan Abrahmson said it best: "Marion
Jones is a liar." She apparently continues to manipulate us all if the State Department somehow thought she was
what's best about America.
*On The Boards: This is Not a Joke: Marion Jones to Represent US State Deparment Internationally
College XC News Pre-Nats: *Men's Results *Women's Results
Wisconsin XC: *Men's Results *Women's Results
*More NCAA Results
LRC 2011 NCAA Cross-Country Poll Voting Now Open Pre-Nats and Wisco are in the books. It's time to re-rank the teams before the conference championships get underway.
*Unranked Vanderbilt XC Reacts To Their Surprising 2nd Place Finish In Wisconsin
*24th-Ranked Washington Reacts To Winning Wisconsin Invite
*2:10:58 & 2:27:56 Win Rainy Intercontinental Istanbul Eurasia Marathon
Pre-Nats Results Men: CU Men Win Andy Wacker was 2nd overall to Iona's Leonard Korir as Amar Moussa debuted for the Buffs as their #3 man. *Results
Women: FSU Women Win With Just 46 Points And to think Karen Harvey views this as a "rebuilding" year. *Results
On The Boards: Pre Nats Live Update
Chile Pepper: Men's Results: Oklahoma State Dominates, German Fernandez Looks Good Fernandez got 3rd for the Cowboys as they go for the NCAA three-peat.
On The Boards: How Come No One is Talking about German Fernandez's Good Run Today?
*Is Nat Champs Ok State vs. Wisconsin, or am I missing something?
Women: Texas Edges Arkansas
Wisconsin Men: Lawi Lalang Dominates, Wisco Men Win, Verzbicas 62nd In His Debut (Results) This meet replaced pre-Nats as the place to be this year before next month's NCAA meet. Lawi Lalang, the brother of Kenyan star Boaz, who only started running last year, dominated. Lukas Verzbicas faded badly to 62nd in his first collegiate XC meet, as Texas freshman Craig Lutz was 15th.
*Wisco Men Run "Pretty Much Perfect" - So Good Their Coach Mick Byrne Was Stunned "I was surprised. At about 3 kilometers it looked like the team race was over."
*James Li Impressed By Lawi Lalang's Dominence "Lawi showed he's in a class of his own today. I don't think tactically he was the most sound, he's just so much stronger than everybody else."
*Providence Men Surprise As #1 Big East Team
*Lukas V: "Very rough opening race, have some rethinking to do. Time to move on and get fit for the rest of the season."
*Did You Know? Lukas Verzbicas' Stepdad Is Head Coach At USA Triathlon's New Elite Academy
Wisconsin Women: Sheila Reid Gets Best Of Jordan Hasay, Washington And Unranked Vanderbilt Women Surprise (Results) Reid beating Hasay is not a surprise, but Washington winning and unranked Vanderbilt being #2 was a shocker, especially with #1 Villanova in the field.
*Oregonian: Jordan Hasay Nipped By Sheila Reid In Hasay's 1st Race Of Year
*'Nova Website Calls Reid's Win "Dominant"
*Unranked Vandy Women Finish 2nd By Running "Close To A Perfect Race"
Oregon: Register Guard: Coach Powell: "Obviously, both teams have some things to work on before the conference meet."
Video Interviews: Sheila Reid *Lawi Lalang *Men's Race
MB Talk *OFFICIAL Wisconsin Invite Thread
*LAWI LALANG RUNS 50 MPW?!
*Hasay/Reid dual.... + Vandy women!!!
*LUKAS last 3k = 9:29.4, LUTZ last 3k = 8:42.7
*LUCAS V DOMINATES WITH A 62ND PLACE FINISH!
*Feb 27: Prediction: Lawi Lalang wins an NCAA title this year
NYC Marathon Is November 6th
- Brief Chat With Mary Keitany On the subject of women's WRs, she said she wasn't sure if Paula's 2:15 should be the WR, but said, "I do think is that to have a male pacemaker running in front of you makes a huge difference when you are looking to run that fast. You cannot get a woman to pace like that."
- "Kim Smith Looks Strong Ahead Of NYC Marathon"
- Hockey Hall Of Famer Mark Messier To Run NYC Marathon
Marathon Olympic Trials Are January 14th; Track Starts June 21st
- Event Timetables Announced For 2012 US Olympic Trials The 10,000/5,000 double is very easy to do, as is the 800/1,500. Barringer fans, the 1,500/steeple isn't really possible.
*OTs Begin June 21 On The Nike Campus With The Hammer Throw
- Ryan Hall Will NOT Be Asking Training Advice From The LetsRun.com Message Boards Go to about 4:40 into this video.
- Brett Gotcher Is "Gathering Momentum" As Marathon Training Begins
Chicago Marathon Mom Generating Headlines
Writer Reflects On Having To Interview Chicago Marathon Mom "What prompted her to run a marathon at nearly 39 weeks pregnant? Speculation was rampant, but to me, it seemed like Miller ran because that's what she does. She runs. This was neither her first pregnancy, her first marathon, nor her first pregnant marathon.
As a local physician told me later that day, 'I don't think she's crazy ... it sounds like she's an elite athlete to be able to run that many miles
this late in pregnancy.'"
*Time Magazine Investigates: Is It A Bad Idea To Run A Marathon While Pregnant?
*MB: Amazing--woman gives birth after completing Chicago Marathon?!?
Bank Of America Chicago Marathon *Results *Yahoo Photos
LRC Moses Mosop A Superstar, Liliya Shobukhova Becomes Second-Fastest Woman Ever Updated Moses Mosop dominated the final miles in Chicago after Wesley Korir tried to make it interesting. Russian Liliya Shobukhova ran 2:18:20 to become the second-fastest woman ever. American Ryan Hall ran 2:08:04 for 5th. Great for any other American marathoner, so-so for him.
LRC: Wesley Korir Impresses With 2:06:15 Second Place In Chicago The former Louisville Cardinal broke the race up with a surge at 30km. Afterwards, he revealed what he was trying to do.
Ryan Hall Says He Needs More Time At Sea Level To Work On Turnover RW
LRC Non-Quotes Of The Day From 2011 Bank Of America Chicago Marathon Hall talks about what 2:08 means, Canova talks about the world record.
LRC Quick Recap With Men's Splits: Moses Mosop Breaks Course Record At 2011 Bank Of America Chicago Marathon, Shobukhova Runs 2:18:20
Pan Am Games *Schedule/Results *Free Live Video *News
- Tuesday: Lerone Clarke's 10.01 Beats Kim Collins (10.04) At Commonwealth Games 100m Final Clarke won the Commonwealth Games last year. Results only. Video of race on right or here.
- Monday Recap From IAAF
- Day 2 USA: 3 Field Event Medals As
BradBrandon Bethke (14:17.31) & Stephen Furst (14:21.94) Finsh Out Of Medals In 5,000 5th and 9th in the heat and altitude of Guadalajara.
- Day 1 USA: Camille Herron (2:51:29) Finishes 9th In The Women's Marathon Nothing like running a marathon at altitude (5,200 feet) and in heat.
- Adriana Aparecida Da Silva Wins Pan Am Games Women's Marathon She won in 2:36:37 at elevation in hot/sunny conditions.
- IAAF Day 1 Recap: Hometown Favorite Madai Perez, Who Skipped World Champs To Try To Win Gold, Blows Up In Marathon But Hangs On For Silver
2000 Olympic 800 Gold Medallist Maria Mutola To Coach Caster Semenya Mutola has never coached before. Semenya revealed she trained on her own for the last 4 weeks before Daegu. *IAAF
"Occupy Eugene" Protesters May Make Statement At Olympic Trials One protester seemingly wants the Trials cancelled: "One Olympic Track meet ticket would feed a lot of homeless camped out here." LRC's response: "One Olympic Trials brings in a ton of cash/jobs for Eugene."
ING NYC Marathon Is Next Weekend
- Geoffrey Mutai Has Gone From Poverty And A Job As A Lumberjack To A Rich Man And NYC Favorite New York will be a great one with 2:03 marathoner Mutai racing. Plus, there will be an exclusive LRC Puma party with free booze. Stay tuned for more details or email us if you want to come.
- 58:46 Half Marathoner Matthew Kisorio Is Making His Marathon Debut In NYC
Weekend Results: Geb Rallies, Lance Crashes, And More
- Haile G Bounces Back To Win Birmingham Half Marathon In 61:29 UK's Gemma Steel won the women's race in 1:12:21.
- Lance Armstrong Crashes His Bike And Hits Head, Fading From 2nd To 23rd At XTERRA World Triathlon Champs Austria's Michael Weiss won.
- Michael Wardian - 6:40 Pace For 50 Miles
- IAAF: Helena Kirop Smashes Venice Marathon CR With 2:23:37 Ethiopia's Tadese Aredo won the men's race in 2:09:13, just 5 seconds in front of Kenya's Simon Mukun.
- New Yorker Ketema Nigusse Wins Inaugural Rock N Roll Brooklyn 10k In 29:02
- IAAF: World Youth Medallists Excel At Chinese City Games World Youth Champ Lin Qing won LJ with 7.95m.
- Bernard Waweru And Pauline Wangui Win Mt. Kenya Extreme Sports Challenge Jungle Race At 9,200 Feet Above Sea Level
Recommended Read: UK's Olympic 200m Silver Medalist (4 X 1 Gold Medalist) Darren Campbell Talks About Being Offered Drugs During His Career And His Ill Feelings Towards Dwain Chambers Like us, he supports lifetime bans, but thinks Chambers should be allowed to race Olympics. He says, "At what point does the sport decide enough is enough? People are still saying, 'should it be a life ban, should it be two years?' For me, it's got to be life. You can't rob the sport, then come back to the sport, that don't make sense."
Want To Use The Internet At The London Games? It'll Cost You $150 A Month The media are pretty angry about this.
4 Recommended Reads
- Meet Notre Dame's And New Mexico's 1st Sub-4 Miler, Chuck Aragon Amazingly, Chuck, who broke 4 within 6 weeks of moving to the mile, still has the ND 1,500 record from the 1970s. His daughter Alexa runs for the Irish currently.
- Famed Physio Gerard Hartmann Is Coming Out With An Autobiography This Week The book is just as much about the stars he treats - Radcliffe, Bono, Travolta, Wejo - as it is about Hartmann. The Wejo bit is a joke, but he did visit him in 2002. *Amazon: Born To Perform: How Sport Has Shaped My Life
- Runners Tribe Interviews Coach/Agent Nic Bideau, Who Has 9 Athletes With A Qualifiers Nic rips the IAAF for not the new women's world record and Athletics Australia for not sending B qualifiers to Daegu.
- Meet Marathon Man Michael Wardian, Who Is An Olympic Trials Qualifier & Has Run 225 Races In The Last 5 Years & Trains On A Treadmill While Babysitting His Kids
An Interesting Debate: Appearance Fees Vs. Prize Money David Powell: "There may be some Utopian merit in the idea of dispensing with appearance fees and moving all the cash into prize money, but it's a fantasy notion. It's never going to happen as a rule of law. That may be stating the obvious but it needs to be said as a precursor to discussing the benefits, or otherwise, of theoretically eliminating fees."
- NEW YORK CITY MARATHON FINALIZES ELITE FIELD World Champs bronze medalist Feyisa Lelisa, two-time European Champs medalist Inga Abitova and the third-fastest half marathoner of all time, Mathew Kisorio (debut), have been added to the field.
- Lauren Fleshman: "When you've never done a marathon, it is scary as s%#!"
- Catching Up With Lauren Fleshman And Jen Rhines Before NYC Marathon
2 Weeks In Review
LRC Weeks That Were: Ryan Hall Criticism, Canadian Marathoners, E. Dibaba's Stunning Marathon Debut, College XC And More We dig deep and look at Ryan Hall's performance in Chicago, his spat with Phil Hersh, give praise to Ejegayehu Dibaba for her excellent marathon debut, give some props to Reid Coolsaet, discuss a little NCAA XC and let you wish you were born in Kenya.
Worthy Of Praise
Amby Burfoot Honored With George Hirsch Journalism Award Burfoot is a former Boston Marathon champ and long time RW editor.
Good Read: Amby Burfoot Talks About His Writing And Running Career Times have definitely changed. "I knew a few guys who couldn't break 3:00 in the marathon and I just couldn't even imagine how anyone could possibly be that slow."
LRC Hero 80-Year-Old Ed Whitlock Runs 3:15:54 Marathon His run got lost in the hoopla of 100-year-old Fauja Singh finishing in Toronto but we're more impressed with Ed. Besides, our favorite 100 (or 94) year-old marathoner was Buster Martin, who smoked and drank on the course.
On The Boards: 3:15:54 for Ed Whitlock!
*LRCer Creates Ed Whitlock Facebook Page
Scotiabank Toronto Marathon Gives Koren Yal $25,000 Bonus For Tying Course Record Technically, she was due $0 since she didn't break the record, but they gave her $25k instead of $35k for the tie.
NCAA Ranking Shake-Up
Florida State Goes To #1, Washington Jumps From 24 To #2, Vanderbilt Goes From Unranked To #3 The men's side did not change as much.
Disagree? LRC XC Polls Now Open Tell us who is the top in the country and each conference.
Time To Start Getting Ready For 2011 ING NYC
NY Times Looks At The Impact The Olympic Marathon Trials Has On The NYC Marathon Field And On Marathoners' Bank Accounts Ryan Hall has some interesting comments: "It's a huge issue. It's kind of a bummer. I love the Olympics, but we take huge (financial) hits to run in the Olympics."
On The Boards: Does Ryan Hall Take a Hit Running in the Olympics? We say short-term, yes; long-term, no.
Lauren Fleshmen Tired From Marathon Training "Today's illumination is that marathon training makes me brain dead after 8pm, making it very difficult to write a meaningful blog."
*Ed Moran Talks About His Upcoming Marathon Debut In New York Note to others: Training for the marathon often will do wonders for your track credentials.
*Kim Smith Wins ING Hartford Half Marathon In 1:11:18 Little more than a training run for Smith, who ran 67:11.
*Running Doc Lists The Only 4 Injuries That Should Prevent You From Starting A Marathon
Occupy UK Athletics? Even In The More Socialistic Europe, The Rich Get Richer
- World Champs Mo Farah & Dai Greene Are Among The 87 Athletes Receiving $87,700 From British Govt. To Train For London The plastic Brit, Tiffany Porter, also is getting full funding.
- Meanwhile, Former Olympic Bronze Medallist Kelly Sotherton Gets Zero Funding
- Olympic HJ Silver Medallist Germaine Mason Also Gets Snubbed
- Mark Lewis-Francis' Funding Is Reduced
- Teenager Jodie Williams Turns Down Lottery Funding
Amsterdam: Wilson Chebet 2:05:53, Tiki Gelana 2:22:08 CR, Sihine Drops Out Sihine, with his 5 WC/Olympic silvers, dropped out after 36km in his marathon debut. Chebet has now run a 2:05:51 average in his 3 marathons. 18-year old Eric Ndiema set
a new junior world record at 2:06:07. In the women's race, third placer Lornah Kiplagat ran 2:25:52 to qualify for Beijing.
*Chebet: "I don't plan to run any marathon race before the Olympics. If they (AK) select me, then God is great."
Toronto: Reid Coolsaet & Eric Gillis Qualify For Canadian Olympic Marathon Team Due to windy conditions, Coolsaet took a risk and went out with the leaders in sub-64 but was able to hang on and qualify for London even after taking a bathroom break at 25km.
*LRC Jerome Drayton's Canadian Marathon Record Lives To See Another Day Dayton's 36-year-old Canadian record of 2:10:09 lives on as Coolsaet finished in 2:10:55 but ended up with a nice consolation prize - an Olympic berth. Eric Gillis also punched his ticket to London by the narrowest of margins - 1 second - as Dylan Wykes came up short.
*Kenneth Mungara Wins 4th Straight Toronto Title In Photo Finish (2:09:49)
*MB: Toronto Live Chat *Will Coolsaet break Drayton's Canadian Marathon Record this weekend?
More Weekend Marathon Action:
Beijing: Francis Kiprop Wins In 2:09:00; Wei Xiaojie Wins In 2:28:05 Former WR holder Catherine Ndereba was third in 2:30:14.
Korea: 2:09:23 Good For Kenyan Win 2:38 won the women's race.
Baltimore: Hard To Believe: 2:15:26 Nets Kenyan $25,000 For Baltimore Marathon Victory
Detroit: A Canadian Wins $3,000 & The Detroit Free Press Marathon In A Slow 2:28.22
Tuesday's Pan Am Games 100m Final
Affirmative Action Comes To Running
November's Kass Marathon In Kenya To Have Special Prize Purse For Foreigners Despite many races excluding Kenyans from prize money, this marathon in Kenya wants some good foreigners to show up.
More Kenyan News: Athletics Kenya Adopts New Constitution
- Britain's Young Discus Star Lawrence Okoye Supports UK's Bid For 2017 Worlds
- Veronica Campbell-Brown Supports Doha's Bid For The 2017 Worlds Qatar has more cash than London for athlete ambassadors, we bet.
- Khalid Khannouchi To Be Ambassador For Delhi Half Marathon Next Month
- We Are "Very Supportive Of Tougher Penalties" On Drugs Cheats, Claims USOC Chief Says that the issue with LaShawn Merritt was never an attack on the IOC.
- Athletes At Pan-Am Games Warned To Watch What They Eat/Drink Because Could Accidentally Ingest Steroids
- WADA Director Says Lifetime Bans Not Enforceable
- Australia Records Huge Spike In Doping Cases Possibly caused by stimulant contained in many energy drinks.
Training Corner (More In The Training Forum)
- Anyone else run hard workouts in the very-early morning?
- Stitches, breathing, and racing
- Anyone ever made a comeback after something serious (cancer)?
- I lost the spark between me and running
- How to develop speed endurance
- Good Read: Blog From Scott Overall About His Transition From Track To Marathon And His 2:10:55 Debut At Berlin
- Radcliffe Shifts Olympic Training To The High Altitude Of Iten
*Paula Radcliffe 6-1 To Win London 2012 Marathon Gold
- World Champ Mo Farah Named European Athletes Of The Year Mariya Savinova was chosen for the women.
Usain Bolt Races Jimmy Kimmel
BMW Berlin Marathon Photos! Makau Takes Geb's World Record
Galen Rupp 26:48!!!
Usain Bolt And Jamaica Get World Record (International Visitors Click Here, Post-Race Press Conf. Here)
Simpson Gets Gold (International Visitors Click Here)
Ezekiel Kemboi Wins And Has The Greatest Celebration Ever (International Visitors Click Here)
Men's 800 Final (International Visitors Click Here, Post-Race Interviews Here)
A Scintillating Men's 10,000 Finish (US Visitors Only)
Train Smarter (More In The Training Forum)
- Lydiard vs magill vs malmo for summer cross country training
- Couple questions about summer training?
- Peter Snell Interview and his thoughts on Lydiard training
- Sprinter to Distance : My quest to run sub 2
Universal Sports Back To Top