Recommended Read: Meet 2:19:44 Marathoner Florence Kiplagat, Who Is Focused On Winning London The former World Cross and World Half star was a soccer player in school who picked up running after being told do so by her uncle - 2:06:50 marathoner William Kiplagat. Her goal was to come to school in the US but that didn't work out and the rest is history. A year ago, we wondered prior to Boston if she'd be the world's new marathon star. The answer seems to be yes. Her 66:38 half from February proves she is fit.
Weekend US Track Action *Stanford Results *Florida Results
Jeremy Wariner Runs 1st 400 Of Year - 45.64 - Leaves "a little disappointed." Last week, he split 44.58, so we understand why he's upset. He did say, "My strength is where I want to be at."
Stanford Invite: Nice IAAF Recap Of Stanford: Areson Makes Up 35m Gap And Catches Lisa Uhl & Gets World Lead; Ritz Wins And More
Results Dathan Ritzenhein won the 10,000m in 28:21 (in his first track race in 2.5 years, as he noted in his pre-race blog, post race interview here), Jackie Areson got an Olympic "A" qualifier in the 5,000 (15:18.31) as Lisa Uhl just missed (15:21). Chris Derrick won his slower section of the 1,500 in 3:41.17 to beat Evan Jager and Lawi Lalang, and Kevin Castille ran 28:57 10k at age 40!
*Ritz Post Race Interview *Stanford Videos *Stanford Photos
On The Boards: *Derrick Finally Beats Lalang *Ritz in the 10,000!
Florida Relays Marvin Bracy False Starts, 7th Grader Daesha Rogers Runs 2:09.44 Orlando Sentinel
*Results Alan Webb's 2012 struggles continued as he ran 1:54.17 for 800m and then 40 minutes later 3:54.08 for 1,500m.
On The Boards: 3:54 Webb? Really?, Alan Webb - 1:54....HE IS DONE!, and For Alan Webb to Read plus 7th Grade Girl Wins Florida Relays 800
Oregon: Pepsi Team Invitational Thanks To Elijah Greer's 1,500, 4 X 400 Heroics, Oregon Men Narrowily Win Pepsi Team Invitational The 800 star won the 1,500 in 3:45 and then held off Texas A&M in the 4 x 400. The Duck women won in a laugher.
*Alex Kosinski Was Surprised By Her 15:36, A 21-Second PR
*Might Sprinter English Gardner Be Oregon's Olympic Trials Hero Like Andrew Wheating Was In 2008?
*Pre-Meet: Pepsi Preview: Scored Meets Are Key For Texas A&M's Pat Henry
LSU: LSU Sweeps Team Titles At "Battle Of Bayou" *LSU Results
MB: Loxsom Returns But Loses To Sowisnky (1:47.98 to 1:47.02) - 3 Penn State Guys Break 1:50
Duke: Curtis Beach Runs 1:47.99 With Middle 400 At 49.8
A Racewalker That Would Make Jimmy Wyner Proud
Kiwi Olympic Racewalker Was DQed For Doing Forward Somersault At Finish Line Of 1st National Champs "Some people might get upset about [the disqualification], but I did what I set out to do and I wasn't too concerned whether they gave me a medal or not."
News From Europe
- UK Columnist Thinks It Sucks That He's Hoping That Drug Cheat Dwain Chambers Gets To Compete In London, But Since Cheats From Other Countries Get To Compete It's Only Fair "It is a sorry state of affairs when sport has come to this: feeling sympathy for the devil ... But there you have it. Such is the sporting world we inhabit."
- Does This Mean There's Hope For USATF?
2.5 Years Ago A New Head Took Over A "Thoroughly Dysfunctional" Athletics Ireland After Previous Head Was Sacked, Now All Seems To Be Going Well
- British Author Of New Book - "Running With The Kenyans" - Says Hard Work Is Key To Kenya's Success Memo to Chris Lear: "Imitation is the best form of flattery."
- Irish Author: Saudis claim gold for sexism - Should be banned from Olympics South Africa was banned from the Games for a long time for violating the Olympic charter which forbids discrimination, but the Islamic countries are allowed to discriminate against women at will.
*Qatar Will Send Women - 3 Of Them - For The First Time
Kenyans In The News
- Geoffrey Mutai: "I am just going to Boston to win." He wants the win and an Olympic spot, not a fast time.
- 2011 WChamps Semifinalist Eunice Sum Beats Olympic 800 Silver Medallist Janeth Jepkosgei In 1,500 In Kenya On Friday, Jekpkosgei had said, "(Winning the Olympics) will not be easy. (Pamela) Jelimo is not the only one to offer challenge. We have South Africa's Caster Semenya and that's why I am using 1,500m to gauge my endurance."
News From Europe
- Lots Of Gambling British Parents Will Win Big $$$ If Their Kids Win Gold In London The parents of 1:58 800 runner Jemma Simpson will pocket $85,000 if she shocks the world and wins gold.
- Greece's cash-strapped athletics federation SEGAS has suspended its operations in protest at continuous cutbacks in state funding
- Madrid 2020 tries to reassure WADA that Spain is tough on drugs in sport Many think the Spanish are sort of doping. Hmmm ....
- After Disappointing 2:14 Marathon, Spain's Two-Time European XC Silver Medallist Ayad Lamdassem Will Return To 10,000
Track & Field News (TFN) Tries To Predict The Future
- TFN Previews 2012 NCAA Men's Outdoor Champs - Florida Wins Easily (56) Over #2 Texas (44)
- TFN Previews 2012 NCAA Outdoors - LSU (57), Oregon (56)
- TFN's Early Season 2012 Olympic Women's Medal Predictions
- TFN's Early Season 2012 Olympic Men's Medal Predictions
Interesting Olympic News
- Interesting Read: Emil Zatopek's Widow (An Olympic Gold Medalist In The Javelin) Recalls The 1948 Olympics And Her Life With Her Husband Notice the big difference in policies, as in 1948 Emil was yelled at for trying to visit her in the "female athletes' village" where men were "forbidden," while in 2012 London will set a record by handing out 150,000 free condoms in the athlete village.
- AP: Saudi Arabia May Not Send Any Women To 2012 Olympics They may still be allowed to compete "unofficially" on their own outside the official delegation.
*Philip Hersh Says IOC Should Ban Saudi Arabia
- Writer Angered By Athletics New Zealand 's Treatment/Lack Of Faith In 17-Year-Old Shot Putter Jacko Gill "Come on troops - take a gob full of chill pills and let yourself go. Sport is about the unexpected, the dreams, not pen-pushers talking like lawyers hell-bent on covering their arses."
- Fans Angry As Tickets Sell Out Fast For Olympic Stadium Test Event The argument is it's not much of a test if they're only letting in 4-6 thousand into a 40,000-seat stadium.
- Recommended Read: The Guardian Looks Back At Daley Thompson's 1984 Olympic Decathlon Win
- SA's 400 Hurdler LJ van Zyl Official Qualifies For London Games With A 49.42 "A" Standard Mark
- The Pros & Cons Of Wild Cards Spots For Past Olympic Champs Interesting history lesson as it talks about how this almost happened for Seb Coe in 1988 when he failed to make the GB squad due to illness. He was extended a free invite by the IOC pres., but there was an outcry against it and the offer withdrawn.
- Despite Financial Cuts, 100 Greek Athletes Will Compete In London 2012 Apparently track federation coaches had not been paid since June and equipment and facilities are in very ill repair.
- Paula Radcliffe Says Britain Should Support All Of Its Athletes, Even If They Were Born Abroad "I think you need to look at each individual case. I don't think it's by any means a case of Britain going round and buying athletes in, as has been the case in other countries."
Upcoming Distance Action
- Tirunesh Dibaba Added To Extremely Deep 10k Field At Pre Classic Field also includes Worknesh Kidane (30:07.15), Wude Ayalew (30:11.87), Lucy Kabuu Wangui (30:39.96) and others. US's Amy Yoder Begley (31:13) is the only non-East-African in the race.
- Paula Radcliffe And Haile Gebreslassie To Receive Special Award At Vienna City Half Marathon The April 15th race will be set up as a chase race where Paula will get a head start and Haile will try to run her down.
- Sprint News: Possible Clash Between Asafa Powell And Yohan Blake Next Saturday?
- Greece's Athletics Federation Suspended Due To Budget Cuts The suspension won't affect Greece athletes going to London, but is still embarrassing for a country that is hosting the London Olympic flame lighting ceremony.
- Steve Cram Says Media Over-Emphasizes The Pressure Of Being The Favorite Before A Major Competition; You Want To Be The Person To Beat
- Transport For London Apologizes For Leaving Fanny Blankers-Koen Off "Olympic Legends Underground Map" She'll be added in the next print run and to make room, Mary Decker and Zola Budd will share a station. This is very ironic as they famously collided
during the 1984 Olympic 3k final.
Other International News
- Somalia's Olympic Committee And Football Leaders Killed In Suicide Bombing
- Irish Olympic Hurdler Derval O'Rourke Had To Pay €10 To Train On Dublin Track
*Radio Interview With O'Rourke On Her Buildup For London
- RIP Olympic Gold Medalist Sprinter Xenia Stad-de Jong She was on the 1948 4 x 1 team with Fanny Blankers-Koen that won gold.
Looking Ahead At The Spring/Summer Racing Season
- LRC Bernard Lagat Announces His Racing Schedule Through the Olympics, Abdi Won't Do The Track Trials
- April 15: Vienna Marathon Preview 2:06 man Gilbert Yegon leads field against 4 past winners, including Gilbert Kirwa (2:06:14 PR) and defending champ John Kiprotich (2:07:08).
- April 17: Florence Kiplagat Looking To Improve Her 2:19:14 PR At The London Marathon To Earn Olympic Spot
- April 26: Jenny Simpson And Wallace Spearmon To Run At Drake Relays
- May 12: U.S. Men's Olympic Marathon Team - Meb Keflezighi, Ryan Hall And Abdi Abdirahman - To Compete At UAE Healthy Kidney 10K
- June 9: Pre-Olympic 100m Showdown In NYC: World, Olympic 100m Champs To Face Off At adidas Grand Prix Carmelita Jeter vs. Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce, plus Jeremy Wariner.
- Saturday: Texas A&M Vs. Oregon At Pepsi Invitational At Hayward Field
- Tomorrow: World Champs Bronze Medalist LJ Van Zyl Will Run His First 400m Hurdles Race Of The Season
Unusual Olympic News
- London Clearing Out Its Prostitutes And Brothels For 2012 Games More prostitutes are being arrested and 80 brothels have been shut down.
- James Bond Actor Daniel Craig Invited To Buckingham Palace To Film Scenes As 007 For London Olympics
- "Get Hiroshi Neko Out Of The Olympics" Movement Gaining Support Online Neko is the Japanese comedian who has run 2:30 for the marathon and switched his nationality so he could run for Cambodia. From this article, it seems he's treating the whole thing as a joke and definitely does not belong at the Olympics.
- Jacko Gill Withdrawing From Consideration For NZ Olympic Team Gives Shot Putter Tom Walsh A Chance To Make It A 17-year-old qualifying for the Olympics and then passing it up ... definitely unusual.
Other Olympic News
- A Refreshing Read: An Interview With The Oldest Living Olympic Gold Medallist - 97-Year-Old Evelyn Furtsch Ojeda She won 4 x 100m gold when in 1932 when the Olympics were totally different.
- Greece Contemplating Suspending Its Track And Field Federation Due To Budget Cuts This is the nation set to hold the Olympic flame lighting ceremony in Ancient Olympia on May 10th.
- Delano Williams Got His UK Passport 4 Days Ago And May Represent The UK In London 2012 He's from the Turks and Caicos islands, which can't send athletes to the Olympics. The weird part is that he is now a UK citizen, but still plans to compete for Turks and Caicos at the World Jr. Champs in Barcelona in July.
- Dutch Angry About Fanny Blankers-Koen Snub From London Underground Olympic Re-Naming She won 4 gold medals at the 1948 Olympics but wasn't chosen by Transport for London as a name for one of it's 361 Olympic stops.
- SA Marathoner Hendrick Ramaala Trying To Qualify For His 5th Consecutive Olympics
- Steve Backley's Good Advice For Jessica Ennis: "Jess's challenge is not going to be Jess. Whether Jess can take gold or not is out of her hands." You can only control what you do; not your competitors.
- West Ham Fans Behind Move To Olympic Stadium They say they'll bring in a million fans each year.
Top Pro News
Great Distance Matchups In Doha Next Month As Kenenisa Bekele Returns To The Track The Diamond League resumes on May 11th and Kenenisa Bekele will be running the 3,000m. Vivian Cheruiyot, Genzebe Dibaba, Pamela Jelimo and Abubaker
Kaki all also are slated to compete in the run-up to London.
On The Boards: Bekele Running in Doha
- Good Read: Science Of Sport Guys Take A Look At Some Of The Distance Races In London 2012 And The Possibility Kenyan Women Could Win Golds In Everything
- Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce Running NYC Diamond League Meet On June 9 So is Yohan Blake.
- European Marathon Champ Zivile Balciunaite's 2-Year Doping Ban Upheld
- Yuta Shitara (Guy Who Ran 1:01:48 At NYC Half) Beats Kawauchi By 44 Seconds In 10 Miler In Japan
- Amy Acuff Is Not Retired, Jumps 1.95 Meet Record At Texas Relays It was her first competition since 2009 we believe. More on her from 2009 here.
Yesterday's Big News
17-Year-Old High Schooler Cayla Hatton Runs 33:17 10,000m Olympic Trials "B" Qualifier The prodigy only started running full-time this year. Now she's putting up a time that would make her 5th in the NCAAs last year. Truly ridiculous. The time is so fast some were wondering if it was a lap short, but this
it's legit and shows she ran every lap (16:30-16:46).
*A Q&A With HS Prodigy Cayla Hatton Two years ago, she was in awe of Kara Goucher and asking for her autograph. Now she'll be racing against people like her at USAs in the 10k.
Super-Fast Road Races In The US *Elite Results
Carslbad 5,000: Dejen Gebremeskel Repeats At Carlsbad 5,000 In 13:11 Gebremeskel let the Olympic 5,000 medallist Eliud Kipchoge do all of the
in the wind before kicking home to a 2nd straight win in 13:11. Alistair Cragg (pictured left) set a new European road record of 13:26 as Ryan Gregson ran 13:39. Anthony Famiglietti struggled with a 14:21. Kevin Castille, who ran 14:01 this winter, won the Masters race easily in 14:57.
Tirunesh Dibaba Remains Undefeated On Year With An Easy 15:01 Win Dibaba: "I'm happy about the race but I didn’t run a fast time because of the wind. ... I'm going to be ready for the Olympics."
DC: Allan Kiprono Sets Course Record (45:15) As Julliah Tinega Repeats At 40th Credit Union Cherry Blossom Run
Saturday's Top Track Action *Texas Relays Results *All College Results
- Texas Relays: Nice IAAF Recap Of Texas Relays: Sanya Richards-Ross And LSU's Kimberly Duncan Impress "For the first time in this observer's memory, Richards-Ross looked like a world-class 100m sprinter rather than a 400 star running in a 100m race for speed work."
- Sanya Richards-Ross (10.89 Wind-Aided), Jeremy Wariner Do Well At Texas Relays As message boarder sprintgeezer points out, Richards-Ross' time is equal to 11.05 without the wind.
- High Schooler Marvin Bracy Runs Wind-Aided 10.06 At Texas Relays, Jeff Demps Runs 10.01 Sprintgeezer points out that Bracy's time, (video here) when you account for the wind, was better than Demps'.
- Florida Coach - Demps Ran 10.01 In Not His "Most Technical Race"
- Jeremy Wariner Is Happy With Progress - Says Toe That Kept Him Out Of 2011 Worlds Is Fine
- US Long Jump Champ Marquise Goodwin Pulls Out Of Texas Relays With Unspecified Injury
Recap Of Jamaican 100m High School Champs
More Sprint News
- Recommended Read: Lengthy Edwin Moses Profile "My story is not one of someone who was born to be a champion. I stayed in the sport longer than some who were better than me at 15, 16, 18 or even 20. And I put more into it."
- Alan Abrahamson Takes A Look At Wallace Spearmon's Amazing 19.95
Distance Articles Worth Considering
After Running 10k & 5k With Gallstones, Kip Keino Was Told He Might Die If He Ran 1,500 But He Did It Anyway And Crushed Jim Ryun
*MB: Did Kip Keino Really Run The 10k and 5k Before Crushing Jim Ryun in 1,500 at 1968 Olympics?
*Are Harvard-Westlake's Amy Weissenbach (2:02) And Cami Chapus (4:40) The Best High School Duo In History?
LRC Carey Pinkowski Reflects On Khalid Khannouchi's Career: "He Was The Absolute Best I've Ever Seen" The Chicago marathon director talks about the man who made his name
in the Windy City. Plus quotes from London Marathon director Dave Bedford and a tweet from Ryan Hall.
LRC Marathon Legend Khalid Khannouchi Officially Retires Khalid Khannouchi, one of the greatest marathoners of all time, has told LRC that he is officially retiring from competitive running. Khalid helped revolutionize the sport of marathon running, setting two world record in the span of three years, including his final one at the "Greatest Marathon Ever Run" - the 2002 London Marathon matchup that featured Khannouchi, Paul Tergat and Haile Gebrselassie.
Lisbon Action *LRC Updated Full Photo Gallery
Shalane Flanagan Wins Lisbon Half, Tadese Three-Peats Updated with IAAF story The American got the big upset win (just
as we predicted)
and Zersenay Tadese got the win but not the world record (just as we predicted - a broken clock is accurate twice a day). Flanagan ran
68:51 for the win.
OTB: Flanagan wins Lisbon. Lock for Olympic gold?
*Will there be an official Lisbon half-marathon thread?
*Letsrun...seriously your picking Shalane Flanagan to win the 2012 Lisbon Half Marathon?
*Full Photo Gallery
*LRC Lisbon Half Marathon Preview
Last Weekend's Action *Excellent Photo Of Spearmon By Max Faulkner Of FW Star-Telegram
- Arlington, TX: LRC Wallace Spearmon Runs 19.95 In March! To Crush Jeremy Wariner No one in the history of the world had run sub-20.00
in the Northern hemisphere
in March until now. Spearmon's Achilles
injury is clearly behind him. Doc Patton ran a 10.04 on a perfect 80-degree day and La Shauntea Moore ran a WL in the women's 200m. *Discuss
FW Star-Telegram: Spearmon: "I'm back." Spearmon trains with Doc Patton, who ran 10.04.
World Indoors *Results *Video Highlights For US Visitors *UK Visitors *Yahoo Photos
LRC Men's 3,000m Final Lives Up To The Hype World 5,000m champion Mo Farah squared off with two-time world indoor champion Bernard Lagat and 2012
World leaders Augustine Choge and Edwin Soi of Kenya. Once again, Bernard Lagat was too good. They were all in contention on the final lap. There was some contact, two guys running on the infield, a DQ and a resintatement, but none of that stopped Bernard Lagat from showing he's the best 3,000m runner in the world.
LRC 800s: Pamela Jelimo Is Back As USA's Erica Moore Gets Bronze, 18-Year-Old* Mohamed Aman Gets Gold The last time Pamela Jelimo was any good, Erica Moore wasn't an 800m runner. They both left World Indoors pleased, as Moore made her first sub-2:00 clocking count with a bronze medal. In the men's race, 18-year-old* favorite Mohamed Aman got gold. On The Boards: Erica Moore 800m at Worlds
LRC Hellen Obiri Stuns Four-Time World Champ Defar link fixed Obiri Closes In 4:06.6 For Gold Get used to the name Hellen Obiri. Last year, she ran internationally for the first time and won the Kenyan 1,500m championships. This year, in the fourth 3,000m of her life, she came from behind to stop Meseret Defar from getting her 5th world title.
IAAF Final Day Recap: Brittney Reese Is Incredible, Aries Meritt Upsets Liu Xiang, Will Claye Wins Brittney Reese had her back to the wall in the long jump, so what did she do? Unleash a jump that made her #3 all-time to win.
Alberto Salazar Unplugged - Part II This interview with Amby Burfoot is great.
From Ritz's struggle in the marathon, to Ritz's form change, to Alberto's competitive relationship with Jerry Schumacher, to Galen Rupp's marathon future and, to Alberto's biggest
regrets, Amby Burfoot leaves no question unasked and Alberto doesn't shy away from any of them and talks about Rupp running 12:45 and in the 26:20s.
*Part I: Alberto's Book & The "Duel In The Sun"
MB: An Incredible Amby Burfoot Interview With Alberto Salazar
*The Wall Street Journal Positively Reviews Alberto Salazar's New Autobiography Pre Order the book today here (it's released tomorrow) and get Amazon price guarantee.
Train At Altitude This Summer (Sponsored)
Adams State Launches New Altitude Center For Collegiate Runners Adams State College, the home of champions at 7,544 feet of altitude in Alamosa, Colorado, is announcing a new altitude center designed for college runners looking for a place to train in the summer. You'll take a for credit college course from Adam State coach Damon Martin (winner of 29 National Coach of the Year Awards) with guest lectures from famed coach Joe Vigil. Then you'll get to train at 7,544 feet while having access to all the Adams State facilities. For more info on this unique opportunity click here.
Japanese Amateur Marathon Ace Yuki Kawauchi Shows Up Unannounced At Half Marathon, Beats Many Top Japanese Collegians The guy is a star in Japan as he got an ovation from the mass runners at the start line. His time was 63:48 but it was very windy.
- MB: It's Official - 9:00 Is What 9:15 Was 20 Years Ago - 16 Boys Break 9:00 At Arcadia
- Princeton: High Schooler Edward Cheserek Runs 29:42 10k
- Canadian Jr. Tyler Smith Runs 1:49.30 At Arcadia
- Sarah Baxter Runs US-Leading 10:08 At Arcadia
- Sophomore Phenom Mary Cain Thinks 2012 Games Aren't Out Of The Question "You never know. I might get out there and be so pumped and so motivated, it might be, 'Oh my gosh, who is that kid?'"
- AZ Hurdler Devon Allen Wins 5 Events At Arcadia - Only Problem Is There is A 4-Event Limit The kid won the 200 and both hurdle races plus two relays and may now be DQed for being a stud. Xavier Carter was the last guy to win 3 individual events in 2003. Whatever happened to him?
- Overworked In Jamaica As Well? Jamaican Champs Were Most Exciting In Years, But Glen Mills Fears HSers Are Way Overworked And Ran Too Many Events
- Jamaica Wins 26 Medals To Start CARIFTA Games Some weak distance running - gold in the boys under-17 1,500m came in 4:18.92. *Results
Bekoji, Ethiopia: Town Of Runners By now many of you have heard of Iten, Kenya - the tiny town where many Kenyan stars train. The Ethiopian town of Bekoji may be even more impressive,
it is where Kenenisa Bekele (3 Olympic golds), Tirunesh Dibaba (2 Olympic golds), Derartu Tulu (2 Olympic golds), and Fatuma Roba (1 Olympic gold) were all born. Lengthy Guardian profile on the town and its unheralded coach Sentayehu Eshetu. A movie on the town - "Town of Runners" - comes out later this month.
*Bekoji Photo Gallery
News From South Africa
- 3-Time Comrades Champ Stephen Muzhingi Wins 1st Two Oceans 56km Title On Saturday But Gert Thys Steals Some headlines With 4th Place Finish In 1st Ultra The 2:06 marathoner Thys says he'll be gunning for Muzhingi at Comrades.
- South African Olympic Marathoner Rene Kalmer Wins Half-Marathon in 75:02
- $4 Million Later, South Africa Will Be Outfitted By Chinese Company Erke For Olympics
*Protesters Demand A South African Company Be Chosen
*Kit & Rhino Mascot Revealed
Random US News
- BMW's Velocity Measurement System Is Now Finished And A Permanent Fixture At The Olympic Training Center In Chula Vista It's used to help jumpers.
- Team USA Concludes World Masters Indoor Championships With 61 Medals
Scientists Will Enjoy Reading These Pieces
- Kenya: Janeth Jepkosgei Wins Her 1,500m Heat In Kenya, So Does Jake Robertson
- Kenya: Some Are Calling For Kenyan Boycott Of Olympics But Moses Tanui And Daniel Komen Say No Way The boycott isn't going to happen.
- S. Africa: LJ Van Zyl Runs 49.42 To Win 400m Hurdles In S. Africa
- New Zealand: Door Is Left Open For Junior Shot Put Phenom Jacko Gill To Make The Olympics
Ryan Hall Movie
LRC Ryan Hall Feature Film In The Works A full length film on Ryan Hall's quest for glory in London 2012 is in the works. Learn more about the film "41 Days," watch a trailer, and learn how you can help support the film and get some Ryan Hall memorabilia. Image below.
On The Boards: Ryan Hall's Big News
Other US News
- Recommended Read: Ed Moran Has Dealt With A Lot Of Ups, Downs, And Close Misses, But Keeps Coming Back Moran: "I think most distance runners are addicts. You can have one performance in a year's time frame and it will keep you coming back." Good read, especially if you don't know much about Moran.
- Should Senior Vice President Of The Competitor Group (Rock N Roll Marathon Series) Be The New USATF CEO? We've received emails saying he'd be a good choice and Toni Reavis likes him, which is good. Just make sure he runs USATF better than this. Having too many people is a problem USATF wishes it had.
- Boston.com Article On HSer Cayla Hatton's 33:17 10k Talks about her tolerance for pain as she once lost a shoe at the start to a 1,500 and won without it finishing with a "red sock."
The Men/Women Of Oregon:
- Oregon Men Going For Their 6th Straight PAC Team Title No team has ever won more than 5 in a row, but with the loss to graduation and Matt Centrowitz, they lost 65 of their 129 points from last year's meet.
- Ken Goe Writes On Oregon's Elijah Greer Who Has The 3rd-Fastest 800 In The NCAA This Year (1:46.84) On Very Little Training Coming Off Injury Greer: "We want to be game-changers. When people see an Oregon athlete on the track, we don't want them to see any other school."
- Oregon Freshman Hurdler Jonathan Cabral Ran 13.76 In Only His Second Race Over College Height Hurdles
- Register Guard: Will English Gardner Run Sub-11 Seconds In The 100 This Year?
12-Year Old Sprinter Goes Sub-13 Seconds In The 100 However, the way true age works for most African countries, he's probably closer to 5 or 19 years old.
NCAA/US News *Stanford Heat Sheets
- LaShawn Merritt Talks About His Start In Track, His Suspension, And Jeremy Wariner Says he proved it wasn't the drugs when he came back and ran 44.7, analogizes his relationship with Wariner as two co-workers fighting for the same pay raise, and says he wants to be the "first man to run a 43 in the 400, 19 in the 200 and under 10 in the 100."
- Oregon-UCLA Dual Meet Dropped As Didn't Fit In "Olympic Year" Schedule Vin Lananna said he would like to pick it up again as "There are some cool things about knowing that 83 points wins and the lowest score doesn't. I think that is something track & field needs."
- Coming Off 3rd Straight Indoor Title, Oregon Women Looking To Beat Texas A&M After 3 Straight Outdoor Runner-Ups Jordan Hasay: "It's funny. After winning indoors, Bri and I were talking, and it was like, 'Well that was cool, but we're kind of used to this.' All we want now is the outdoor title."
- Good News: NBC To Feature 12 Hours Of Live Track Coverage For Olympic Trials
- US's World Indoor Champ Ryan Whiting To Lead Shot Put Downtown Street Event At Kansas Relays Will be up against Reese Hoffa and Canadian record holder Dylan Armstrong.
- USATFCCCA: How Are NCAA Football Players Doing In Track & Field This Year? Shockingly no performances in the 5k or 10k.
- High School: DyeStat Preview Of Loaded 3,200s At This Weekend's Arcadia Invitational Futsum Zeinasellassie highlights.
- RIP: HS 400 Record Setter Bill Green, 50
- Funny Nike Free YouTube Video Ad Worth a watch.
- Vivian Cheruiyot Undecided On Doubling At London Olympics She's open her season at the Doha Diamond League meet 3,000 next month. Kenenisa Bekele will also be racing the 3k here.
- Janeth Jepkosgei Has 14 IAAF Championship Medals, But No Olympic Gold And Wants To Change That In 2012 She's hasn't won a tile since 2007 due to the rise of young upstarts like Pamela Jelimo, Caster Semenya and Anna Saminova.
- Kip Keino Reacts To Threats To Have Athletes Boycott Olympics For Political Purposes Kip Keino: "Sports is the only thing that unites us as a country and politics must be kept out of it. I want to urge our athletes to ignore such advice and focus on their career. The Olympic games are very important to any athlete and must not be politicised." Well said.
- Kip Keino Urges Kenyan Athletes To Work Extra Hard So They Will Be Able To "... compete with those from developed countries like the US." We're assuming he's talking about sports outside distance running. They kind of have us covered there.
US News Updates
- NYRR Article On Best Friends And Training Partners Abdi Abdirahman And Bernard Lagat Abdi has been trying to convince Lagat to move to the marathon and Lagat hints that he might after the Olympics.
- Micah True Memorial Run To Be Held Friday At 4PM In Boulder
- Recommended Read: Cayla Hatton Talks About Her Road Back From 2 Years Of Injury To Run Her 33:17 10k "I went through all the phases of mourning. I remember being so upset, so angry at (the doctor). I was in denial. But I also think the whole experience made me realize how much I love running. Before, it was soccer, and running was just a hobby. When (running) was taken away I realized how much I missed it."
- Brief Chat With Tyson Gay "When you have major surgery, after about two weeks, you understand that you can't run forever, and you start to think, 'What am I going to do after this one day?' Which sucks, because I love running, what I do."
- Brad Hudson Interview On Dathan Ritzenhein & Alberto Salazar
- Nicole Blood Blogs On Her Race At The Chicago Shamrock Shuffle
Some Inspiring Quotes But Not Quite Quote Of The Day
- Jason Hartmann Looks Back At Trials And Ahead To Boston Marathon "There are a lot of great athletes who didn't make the Olympic team ... That's kind of life, and stuff. But it wasn't from a lack of trying, it wasn't from a lack of focus, it wasn't from a lack of diet, it wasn't from a lack of sleep."
- Looking At Caballo Blanco's (Micah True's) Legacy "When you're a young 20-something in college, you're excited about changing the world. You see all these ways to do it and eventually you kind of grow out of it. But he (Micah True) did it and he showed you don't have to be some super person to do it.'' - Nick Coury on Micah True.
- NYRR Announces $2,012 Olympic Trials Training Grants "In the economic sense, I am fortunate to have a full-time job. In the athletic sense, I am unfortunate to have a full-time job." - Olympic Trials qualifier Michael Cassidy.
Shoe Biz News
- A Look At The Legal Merits Of The Vibram Five Fingers Lawsuit The key for the plaintiffs will be to make this a class action suit.
- Nike Signs Big Endorsement Deal To Cover All Brazilians Sports Except Volleyball At Rio 2016
- Puma CEO Talks About Signing Usain Bolt And Sticking With Him Also said the Puma Faas was selling well even before the LetsRun.com Puma Faas Challenge.
- President Obama Given A Free Pair Of New Balance As Congressman Tries To Lobby To Make Army Buy US-Made Shoes
- Nike Track Nationals For High School Teams Won't Exist This Year That's the team competition that has yet to catch on.
Half Marathon Madness
Ethiopia's Next Star? In Cold And Windy Conditions, Virtually Unknown Ethiopian Atsedu Tsegay Runs 4th-Fastest (58:47) Half Marathon Ever The 20-year-old's claim to fame before today was a 6th place at the
World Junior 5,000 and a course record at last October's Marseille and
Cassis road race. Joyce Chepkirui, the African XC champ, broke the women's course record in Prague. *RRW Recap
Prague Berlin: Geoffrey Mutai's Training Partner Dennis Koech Stuns Half Marathon World Champion Wilson Kiprop
5 Kenyans broke 60 flat as Koech (59:14) edged Kiprop (59:15) on a day which 5 Kenyans broke 60 and 3 Kenyan women led by last year's Rotterdam
champ, Philes Ongori (68:25), broke 69. Koech's coach thinks he can get the WR.
Sad News: Body of Boulder ultrarunner Micah True found in New Mexico after 4-day search True, aka Caballo Blanco, became a celebrity of sorts after the book "Born to Run."
His body was found Saturday after he disappeared on a run.
*Friends recall Boulder ultrarunner Micah True as passionate, playful "When he was out on the trail running, it was like someone just rang the school bell and said, 'Recess.' It was utter playfulness."
*You can pay your respects here.
Meet Chuck Engle - The Marathon Junkie - Who Just Broke The World Record For Most Marathon Victories We like how his motto is "run more" and how he knows where he truly stands in the running world. "I'm a mediocre runner at best. There's at least 4,000 marathon times that have been better than me this year - in the world." *MarathonJunkie.com Website
Random Articles On A Monday
Recommended Read: A Great Article Profiling The 2012 Notre Dame Men's NCAA Championship DMR Team Hard to believe it's only the 3rd NCAA title in Notre Dame history.
36,652 Runners At Record-Setting Cooper River Bridge 10km Run Forced To Wait 1 Hour To Start & Race Director Says Delay Was "Not That Much Of A Delay" Solomon Deksisa (29:37) and Janet Cherobon-Bawcom (33:01) got the wins in America's 3rd-largest 10k.
Former Butler Runner Tommy Davies Is 1st Person To Cross Finish Line At London Olympic Stadium As He Wins 5 Mile Race That Finished In Stadium
*Princess Beatrice Competed As Well (Pics) Beatrice seems to run a lot, as she lost 20 pounds training for last year's London marathon In an effort that silenced critics who ripped her for being a bit heavy in this bikini shot.
More Distance News
- Alberto Salazar Autobiography Coming Out April 10th
- Viola Jelagat Kibiwot Wins 800/1,500 Double At Kenyan Meet
- Sport Scientists Take A Look At Vibram Class Action Lawsuit
- Olympic Marathoner Arata Fujiwara And Kawauchi Run 12k Workout Together
- 5-Mile Road Race Finishes At Olympic Stadium As A Test Event
Friday's Big Sprint News
Reuters: Tyson Gay Holds Open Workout For Media & Says He'll Only Do 100m This Year *ESPN.com
*AP Article That Is More Upbeat & Says He's Nearing Full Recovery Given his surgery, Gay doesn't feel he hasn't done enough work to handle the 200m. His coach says that the Trials might actually be his first race of the year: "You'd prefer to have a couple of races before the trials. But at the end of the day, if his first race is at the Olympic trials, then he'll be ready to run.''
More Sprint News: Slate Asks: Might Justin Gatlin (And Other Drug Cheats) Be Benefitting From Doping They Did Years Ago? Answer: Yes
We All Have Our Own Story Of How We Became A Runner, But Few Can Say It Was Because They Were Arrested
Recommended Read: Former CEO Of BETonSPORTS.com Went To Jail To Become A Runner At 50 years old, David Carruthers used his time in prison/house arrest to go from being 192 lbs. and overweight to running a 3:07 marathon and sub 5-min. mile.
Olympic And Distance News
- Thanks To Photoshop: Olympic Mascots Wenlock And Mandeville Are Being Mocked Worldwide *Deadspin.com Photoshop Contest
- Good News: Roger Bannister Goes from 33/1 To 3/1 Odds to Light Olympic Flame Steve Redgrave, a British rower hardly known outside of Britain, is the favorite still.
- Steve Ovett's Son Going To Univ. Of Oregon *Steve Ovett's Son Freddy (1:51 800) Signs With Oregon, As Does 3:45/8:12 Guy Richard Goodman - Both Are Eligible Right Now *MB: Ovett & Goodman join Ducks
LA Times Take A Look at Altitude Training At Mammoth Lakes
- Meb Keflezighi On His High Altitude Training Base At Mammoth Lakes: "This was a distance runner's heaven."
- Morgan Uceny One Of Many Elites Training At Mammoth Lakes "There's something special about this group. If you don't have a knowledgeable coach that can take that kind of training and make it work, then it's pointless. Just being at altitude isn't going to do anything. You have to know how to use it."
2012 NYC Half Marathon *Top 50 Results *LRC Photos (Updated) *Race Replay (Video)
LRC Recap: Peter Kirui & Firehiwot Dado Prevail After Head-To-Head Battles
From the start, both the men's and women's races turned into one-on-one battles but with different results. In the men's race, Peter Kirui did all the work as Deriba Merga tried to hang on, but in the end, Kirui was rewarded with a victory in the 2nd fastest time ever (59:35) as no American men finished in the top 10. Kim Smith led most of the women's race, but Firehiwot Dado pulled ahead late and won in a new CR (68:35) as Kara Goucher was 3rd.
*MB: NYC Half 2012 race coverage thread and updates.
*MB:Today was Ritz's worst finish Since....
*MB:Did Kim Smith get pawned? (sic)
*MB: Todd Williams is really good at broadcasting
*Nice WSJ Recap
*Davila Loved The Weather: "If you can't run fast on a day like today, you might as well go bowling."
*Goucher: "I had a lot more fun this year."
2012 NCAAs *Results
LRC 3,000s: Chris Derrick Pushes Lawi Lalang To The Line, Emily Infeld Wins Her First Title (link fixed) Friday night, Chris Derrick won accolades for coming within 1.7 seconds of beating Lawi Lalang. Derrick did even better on Saturday night, coming within .17 seconds. In the end, Derrick's efforts weren't enough, as Lalang completed the double. In the women's 3,000m, Emily Infeld won a four-person sprint around the final bend over (among others) Jordan Hasay. Hasay's Ducks were so good they would have won the team title if she had stayed in Oregon.
US Women's Olympic Trials Marathon News *LRC Vote Totals *Men's Results *Women's Results *Yahoo Flash Photos
Flanagan Over Davila, Goucher Gets Third As Top 4 All Break Old OTrials Record Flanagan (2:25:38) pulled away from Davila (2:25:55) and Goucher was third in 2:26:06. Amy Hastings broke the old Trials record at 2:27:17 but didn't make the team. Deena Kastor was 6th in 2:30:40.
- New: Amy Hastings Reacts To Fourth Place Finish Obviously disappointed, but a good run for Amy.
- Post-Race Reaction None of the four former Olympic marathoners in the race made the team. Hear from the top 3 and them.
- Women's Results
- Goucher: "I never imagined myself winning this race based on the short period of time I had to train." Oregonian
US Men's Olympic Trials Marathon News *LRC Vote Totals *Men's Results *Women's Results *Mile-By-Mile Splits *Yahoo Flash Photos
Marathon Trials Analysis And Reaction The 2012 Trials race was a classic. We throw some love to the top 3, ponder Ritz's future in the marathon, tell you who had the best debut, and tell you who that guy you never heard of was. Plus we talk about Meb's 74-year-old badass dad and look at the fortune of some old timers who didn't make the team, Josh Cox and Dan Browne, in addition to the ones who did (Meb and Abdi).
Race Recap: Meb Keflezighi Captures 2012 Olympic Trials Marathon Title
Derrick Beats Lalang At 1,500 (Discuss Here)
Speaking Of Running Movies, Endurance Now On DVD!
Week In Review
LRC WTW: America's Newest Female Running Prodigy, Galen Rupp's Medal Chances, A Kenyan Gets 7 Years Older In 2.5 Months, Bekele's World Records And The World's Winningest Marathoner Who Is Not A Big Fan Of The World We span the globe so you don't have to. Can Atsedu Tsegay knock Galen Rupp off the medal stand at 10,000m? How does someone get 7 years older in 2 months? Plus info on America's latest distance prodigy and the World's winningest marathoner seems to not be a big fan of the World. Much more, including a great profile on Edwin Moses.
News From Kenya
*Even The Best Have Heroes: Asbel Kiprop Wants To Be Like His "Hero" Hicham El Guerrouj "Every medal I win gets me motivated to better my hero ... He is unbelievable; he won two gold medals at the 2004 Olympics. I'm looking forward to start running the double at the 2013 World Championships; I will be doing both 800m and 1500m." Also interesting that he says a YouTube interview with Silas Kiplagat helped him win at
*Ever Wonder What The Competition Is Like At A Kenyan College Meet? Apparently not that fast; Rodgers Gesabwa won the 10k in 29:09.
Did You Miss 4/1/12 On LetsRun.com? Relive It Here
Video: Khalid Khannouchi To Run 2012 Virgin London Marathon A television report out of London confirms Khannouchi is in for 2012. Sunday's April Fool's Homepage.
High Schooler Marvin Bracy Runs 10.06 At Texas Relays
The Week In Review
LRC The Week That Was In Running: March 19-25, 2012 Last week, South Africa's 800 stars opened up at their specialty with resounding victories and we tell you what their wins mean (which means our incessant update on Nick Symmonds' medal chances), we do the same for Shalane Flanagan's impressive win in Lisbon, plus free coaching advice from Lauren Fleshman (do as I do) and Chris Solinsky (don't do as I do), and quotes from Mo Farah, a happy Nick Willis, an angry Ron Hill and a happy Olympic janitor. Plus Wallace Spearmon and LetsRun.com impress the brass at USATF.
Spice Up Your Day With This Steeple Fail (Turn Up Volume) *MB Thread
Train Smarter (More In The Running Training Forum)
- Marathon Training Thread - Week Ending 3/25
- Bored X coach, willing to give unwanted advice
- What are your best bang-for-the-buck running tips?
Three Nice Deals On Running Shoes
1) Nike Free 2+ $59.98 For men - 1 color only at this price. Other colors and women $79.99-$99.99.
2) Adidas Leap $49.98
3) Brooks Adrenaline 11 $59.98
Little LRC gets a commission with your purchase.
Train Smarter - More In The Running Training Forum
- Kellogism vs Coeism
- Based on these workouts, what event would you have me run?
- Does a night of little sleep ruin my workout
- Running a Marathon on No Training?